Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
∞ Stalled But Determined Challenge! ∞

Welcome all stalled-ones to my challenge thread! I am enduring my own epic stall of just about 18 months now. It's a darned tough place to be, and I need some likewise stalled friends to commiserate with. I need support and shoulders to lean on, and I know I'm not alone. This thread is for anyone who needs some additional support to keep on persisting through the stall, or plateau. Let's share our stories and struggles here, and challenge ourselves and each other to keep on keepin' on no matter how hard or how long we've hit that wall.
I chose the infinity sign ∞ to go in the title of this thread to symbolize our infinite determination, our infinite patience, and also, in some cases, the infinite frustration of being infinitely stalled.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

I'll start. My story in a nutshell: January 3, 2010. I re-started Atkins and lost 30 pounds slowly and steadily until just before the holidays in late November. The I hit the wall. For the next year I tried just about everything to get the scale moving downward again, to no avail. In October of 2011, I gave JUDDD a try, and it worked. I lost 5 pounds, declared my stall ove, and then promptly hit the wall again. For the last 5 months I've been re-gaining and re-losing the same 5 pounds while trying to re-capture the "JUDDD Magic" I initially experienced. I think JUDDD is great, and I might try it again some day, but for now, I just can't do it anymore.
I consider my WOE/WOLife "Semi-Primal", that is, I do the best I can to follow the Primal Blueprint, but I'm not 100% due to a variety of things. Currently, I'm focusing on fitness. I don't know what I'm going to do about the weight loss just yet. I'm really at a loss. Which is why I need support from people who are, or have been, going through the same thing I am. I'm lost and adrift.

Your turn. What's your story?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2013
Hey Speck!
I think I started around the same time you did. I also switched to JUDDD around sept/October of last year. I was doing low carb and not going anywhere... When I started going up I jumped ship.
I had lost 40 lbs in the past with LC... I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working this time.
I started losing once again on JUDDD, and I even got below 160! But now I have gone back to the 160's and I am stuck once again.
I am sticking with JUDDD at this time and trying to make good food choices. Hope to get out of the 160's by my birthday in June.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, LCL, you've got more patience for JUDDD than I do. I thought 6 months was a pretty stellar level of commitment, but you've got me beat! lol So how long would you say you are stalled? 6 or 7 months?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I first did low carb in 1999 (276lbs) and lost 87 lbs in 7 months. Being stupid and new to dieting, I went off the diet and thought I could maintain. When I started to gain, I was like, "No problem. This is easy."

2003...Got back to 265, LC'ed down to 235. Screeching halt!..Need to do some up carb stuff to jump start....4 years later, back to 270.....start again in 2007...down to 238.....screech halt!..give up...back up to 274....

Enter Jan 2010..start AGAIN...find LCF

I did well and found some support, lost down to 231 by Nov.....all is well...until Dec, Jan 2011, Feb...no more weight loss...March, April, May...no weight loss.

My LC friends taught me to keep at it, it will get better...Nope! Nothing!...Nada!

May thru Dec I tried IF, cut out LC treats, cut out some fat, cut out alcohol, tried eating once a day. Still NOTHING!

Now, since Jan, I have been BAD, gained 10 lbs by mid Feb, and I am on the brink of disaster. I have had more carbs in the last 4 months than all of 2011. What is frustrating is that with all those carbs, I am maintaining at that 10 lb gain. Why cut all the carbs forever and lose the 10 and maintain there???? I still need to lose 30-50 POUNDS!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/bouncing again/? 5'2"
WOE: who knows ?
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011~ Moderation 3/15/14
Well, my history is I low carbed about 12 years ago and lost from 155 to 117. Maintained for about a year. Really got tired of everyone telling me to EAT - I knew if I ate like I used to, I would gain... and guess what ? I DID !!

So, last year I weighed 173.5 !!! OMGosh !! I had ALWAYS prior to the 155, been around 125-130 tops .... then had LIFE get in my way, and I ballooned up. I am only 5'2" ---

Started back on LC July '11 -- quickly lost 30+ lbs until Nov. - then I have struggled and struggled... want to lose to 133.5 -- my 1st goal of 40 lbs lost --- and even though I get close, I never attain it. So frustrating ;///
Same 5 or so lbs up and down --- Long term goal ??? I don't want to be elderly by the time I get there

I admit I do cheat here and there... out of town, might cheat for 1-2 days but I go right back to lc ---- don't cheat on a daily basis.

Need some support from you guys !! We can do this !!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I went off of JUDDD for the holidays... Two many parties to work around!
I just seriously started back in .... Hmmmm.... February?
I am trying to have UD's on the weekends since that is where I have the most trouble.
I was stalled on LC for about 6 mos before I went to JUDDD. Had a really fast loss on JUDDD and then went off... Since I started back on JUDDD I haven't been able to get out of the 165-161 range... Up and down. But I started with a new vision, a new plan of attack this past Monday. I hope I will see results!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/157/150s
Start Date: July 2008
Wahoo! I am in on this challenge. Hi y'all!

My story is:
Started low carbing July 2008 at 218.5 pounds.
Lost 70 pounds very slowly through March 2011 (down to 148.5).
Then my stall began. Gained back up to mid 150s and have been bouncing around there ever since despite living the low carb lifestyle.

Things I have tried:
- training for and running a half marathon (while low carbing)
- Body for Life
- Lifting heavy weights
- calorie counting
- moderate carb
- reinduction
- high protein
- refeed meals

Things I have not yet tried but are on the list
- re-climbing the carb ladder very slowly
- JUDDD
- Body for Life again, but better
- Lifting weights but not running
- a fat fast
- higher fat with 1800 cals avg

I am currently doing the Leptin Reset. 50g protein at breakfast, which is supposed to help regulate appetite.

Eating: meat, veg, berries, dairy, eggs, artificial sweeteners, tofu, coconut products
Not eating: sugar, grains, starchy veg, alcohol, other fruits, nuts, seeds, beans

Last edited by ElizabethLC; 04-25-2012 at 08:21 PM..
ElizabethLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm so excited to have you all here! You know how down and angry one can get when dealing with the stall (of course you can!), it's so darned uplifting to have friends to share the burden of it.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naeemah74
Stats: 167/152/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 3, 2012
Hey everyone! I'm new to the site but not new to LC.

I was a normal weight most of my life, but with each kid (I have 5) I would lose most but not all of the pregnancy weight. I usually hung out at around 150-160, though after pregnancies I'd be 185.

Found out about Atkins from another "buddy" site in Oct 2010 and started it Nov. 1, 2010 at like 155. I was already into exercising a lot (P90X and INSANITY) so the weight dropped off quickly. I got down to 140 (5 pounds from my goal weight) in 5 weeks and stayed there until a party in Dec. and fell off the wagon. So technically I was on low carb for a month and a half.

Enter 2011: I started going to school and started binge/compulsive eating from stress. Was up and down between 150-160's; still exercising, but not low carbing. Enter 2012: same deal until late March after a weeks long binge I stepped on the scale and was 167!! That was entirely too close to 170, which I hadn't been since after having my daughter in 2008. Being that heavy and NOT from just giving birth was just the kick in the pants I needed.

April 3, 2012: started Atkins again and have been doing well so far with the same results as the first time, but quicker and without heavy exercising like before. I haven't stalled yet, but I know it's coming so I'm joining now to get some tips and tricks of how to bust through the plateaus when they come.

So far on this site I've read about metabolism resets and leptin resets. Looking forward to learning more and being supportive and supported through this journey.

Last edited by Naeemah74; 04-25-2012 at 09:49 PM..
Naeemah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I can determine that my stall began on Oct. 1 2010 - yes that is right - 2010! Just shy of my 1 year anniversary of being back on Atkins and a 56 lbs. loss. Half way to goal.

Since then, I have hit my 'stat low' a few times but mostly bounce around the mid 170's.

I have tried the things that make sense to me. Most things allow for a couple of lbs. loss initially but they always return. I have decided to focus on the other health benefits but I can't say I am not frustrated - I have been abusing my bathroom scale!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Abreleah
Stats: 260, I think, 182/157/150
WOE: Atkins an Sugarbusters
Start Date: Aug 15, 2010
I would like to join this group too.! I am having a pretty good stall, I did finally reach my goal of 150, but have been stuck here for a couple of months up 5 down 5 . I decided I would like to lose 10 more lbs. I have been mainly a lurker. so don't have many posts but this is most wonderful site... I am trying a meat and egg fast right now but in last three days nothing has moved on scale. LOL at least it isn't moving up;
Abreleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So far so good. I had eggs and sausage for breakfast.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybear
Stats: 277/229/?
WOE: Atkins <20g Carb
Start Date: 01/29/2011
I definitely want to join. I'm at work now, so will post more later.

Thanks for starting this challenge thread, Speck!
ladybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I was a little down today.... I was 164 and this morning 162.
But this happens a lot ( up and down ) so I am not celebrating yet.
I am starting to see weight loss like my mortgage .... Mostly interest (water) but some principle (fat).

Hope all of you are doing well today!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Ahhh, a group where I really belong . I'm 63 and have been a T2 diabetic for 30 years and on insulin for 20 years. Being the "good girl" I generally tried to follow the diet the doctor insisted I follow which of course was low fat, high complex carbs, lots of fruit, etc. Needless to say I gained a huge amount of weight, my blood sugar was out of control and so was my cholesterol. I tried Atkins in the early 1970s for about a week....not much success...and went on along the path to destruction. A few years after starting insulin and gaining even more weight I tried Protein Power and had some success. Didn't stick with it and the weight came back. In September 2010 I seriously committed to Dr. Bernstein's plan and really got into it.

All went well for quite a long time. I lost 42 pounds, got to July 2011 and realized I had stopped losing weight. It annoyed me, but I wasn't seriously concerned. I had recently completed my second knee surgery and rehab and was doing some walking and felt it would all work out. Anticipating the huge improvement I was going to see in my lipid profile and sick and tired of the side effects of the statin I was taking I went off the medication.

In the fall of 2011 I realized that I still wasn't losing weight, so I reduced the protein I was eating per Dr.Bernstein's recommendations. It didn't help. I was still eating at 30g total carbs a day or less so I upped the protein again and went onto the holiday season. I did very well...only off plan eating was one Christmas cookie .

Through December and January my carbs drifted really low - not on purpose - and I thought oh well maybe I can decrease my mealtime insulin again. I felt exhausted, in a fog, very dry skin....but no weight loss

I had my lipid profile done early in January and was stunned and dismayed that my LDL had gone up 125% - from 123 to 253. My doctor is not happy and I have done research and just got results from thyroid and finally a VAP test. Still trying to figure those out.....but I weighed this morning and guess what.....nothing has happened

Right now I am doing 30g carbs total, 72g of protein, and unlimited fat. Total calories not to exceed 1200. If my doctor found out about the fat, he would probably try to have me committed.

I was really really depressed this morning about all of this. I'm glad you are all here. Unless I want to lose control of my diabetes again, and regain all or more than the 42 pounds I've lost, I must go on.
Thanks for listening...I'll try not to be such a downer again.
Mobear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome everyone and thank you for sharing your stories. With all of us in the same place it will be that much easier and more useful to see if we can identify and common denominators and potential stall-breakers.
One thing I have noticed over time reading posts all over LCF is it seems many of us have taken a good percentage of weight off, even get half-way to goal, then stall. What do you make of that? I had thought it must have to do with calories. But after experimenting with calories, it's still not so clear cut. If we could only identify the source of the stall we could fix it, right?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
I lost the majority of my weight in the first 3 or 4 months! The last several have been just trying to maintain, with bouts of trying to lose interjected here and there. I'm SO stuck. I've been increasing fat, decreasing carbs and protein the last week or so and am MUCH less hungry and a couple of the lbs that can't decide whether to stay or go have gone, again. Hopefully they stay gone and a few more of their friends follow them out.

I'm over a year on LC, specifically Atkins. I'm doing pretty well in that I'm still within a 5 lb window of my lowest weight since starting Atkins. I just gotta break through this point! I'm starting to think I might have to increase my activity. I hate exercise, but I suppose if it gets another size or two off, I'll do it.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Domino, I hear you. I took up running for a while (wish I hadn't stopped, as I did enjoy it but life got in the way) and even with running 2-3 miles every other day, the weight did not come off any faster, and then not at all. I am currently trying to follow the Primal Blueprint fitness plan, and already I am noticing some pretty awesome changes in muscle tone. I figure, if I can't take off the weight, I might as well be a hardbody under the flab

I noticed a lot of really interesting and useful things while on JUDDD, too. I can eat 60 carbs a day and not gain. I can eat 100 carbs every-other-day and not gain, as long as I'm low carb and very low calorie the other days.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

My status report is that I'm down to the lower end of my fluctuation range. When I get out of my range (which would be anything in the 140s), I will light off some fireworks, I think.

This was a hard week at work so that wasn't doing me any favors, I'm sure.

But I did have good on-plan days, so ... maybe the scale will go down more? It's funny because I am always trying something and always thinking that I may finally lose more weight. Does this make me hopeful.... or delusional?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethLC View Post
... I am always trying something and always thinking that I may finally lose more weight. Does this make me hopeful.... or delusional?
I'm wondering the same thing about myself. When you decide, let me know
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
Oh yes ladies, I AM one of you! My weight is not exactly "stalling", more like "creeping up" after maintaining for awhile. It sucks!

Thank you Spreck for starting this thread.

Jan
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Jan! Welcome to the club!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

So. I'm wondering. How do you deal with the posts of those attaining their goal or other weight loss successes? I find myself feeling both happy for them (because I have been there and I truly am happy for them), but at the same time I feel envious and sometimes angry (not at them! At my dang lack of success). So, how do you feel? How do you work around the negative feelings (if you have them)?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #25
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am happy for them too. I want to tell them that they should be*very careful in maintenance and to stick to low carb because it is possible that they will not be able to lose it again.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Abreleah
Stats: 260, I think, 182/157/150
WOE: Atkins an Sugarbusters
Start Date: Aug 15, 2010
I have reached the 150 goal, but can still see and feel the fat on my body, unfortunatley it is around my waist area too. I am trying to lose 10 more lbs, but it won't budge. This is after 3rd day of meat and eggs. Should I keep going on the meat and egg fast or should I try to add back things like salad. One thing I have trouble with is big portions. I eat a ton of the meat.
Abreleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naeemah74
Stats: 167/152/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 3, 2012
there is sometimes that "wow I can't wait to get there" or if I'm in pity party mode the twinge of "why isn't it happening for meeeee?" Either way I become proactive and pick their brains on how they accomplished it. Nothing good is going to come easy and I find the more positive I am about a challenge, or someone else's success (even if I have to force it ) the easier the challenge becomes.
Naeemah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
I was a little down today.... I was 164 and this morning 162.
But this happens a lot ( up and down ) so I am not celebrating yet.
I am starting to see weight loss like my mortgage .... Mostly interest (water) but some principle (fat).

Hope all of you are doing well today!
Back up today to 164.... But it is after a UD. See what I mean? I can never get out of the 160's!!!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have the same problem Speck. I try to be happy for them too. I do try to be supportive, but I do feel left out. Some days I AM happy for them, and some days I ignore those posts.

I REALLY wish I had been here when I lost the weight the first time. I would have been one of those star people everyone looks up to in the weight loss category. I am sure I would not have gained my weight back had I known all the things I've learned since joining LCF.

I also feel I have no business giving advice to anyone when you look at my stats. In fact someone here told me that very thing about a year ago.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

When I see someone who is successful, I then want to know how they did it and assess if their methods seem do-able for me. When it's someone who has lost weight - I pretty much just feel very positive/supportive. Weight Loss People are My People!!

Now, people who have never been fat and look amazing -- this is what occasionally causes me to curse my own fate. Why not meeeeeee, etc. I grew up fat and have baggage from that. I can't help but wonder what it would have been like to grow up a normal weight or even small.

Abreleah-- Hi hon! Here's what I'm thinking. We are all so different. Different stuff is going to work for each of us. Meat and egg may be amazing for you.. or adding salad back in might be better. So how about if you asked yourself:
1. Is it working?
2. Do I like it and want to keep going?

.. and then assess from there.

Last edited by ElizabethLC; 04-27-2012 at 08:24 AM..