Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #241
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I looked over the thread in question. I've had threads go "bad" or seen others threads spiral out of control, and I've had things taken out of context and I've been attacked and I've had mods remove my comments, blah, blah, blah. You just never know when you're going to get into "trouble" around here. It seems like some folks can get away with things other folks can't.

Of course, this thread is a safe place for anyone who has been stalled for a significant amount of time and is frustrated. There is no harsh criticism or judgement here. We're grown ups, we know what to do and we're perfectly good and self-flagellation to need it from anyone else.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #242
Blabbermouth!!!

My high fat experiment begins today!

Here we go! And I've started by updating my stats! Woo hooo I gained 7 pounds Several I know are water for a variety of reasons, but that's what I'm starting with.
The parameters of my experiment are 1500-1600 calories a day; and as close to 85% of calories as fat as I can get, and 10% as protein and 5% as carbs. I won't panic of those numbers are off by a few points.

So far, I've had two big mugs of coffee, each with 2 tbls of heavy cream. I put 1 tsp of coconut oil in the first one. I need to work my way up with the coconut oil.

Last edited by Speck333; 06-20-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
GO Speck GO!!

Good luck and stay strong.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #244
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You guys are the best! Ty for being here!! And yes, go Speck!!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #245
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you ladies.

Ok, lunch was 2 cups salad greens, a tbls each of sliced black olives and roasted pumpkin seeds, with lots and lots of homemade ranch dressing, and about 2oz white tuna mixed with a ton of mayo. And I just ate a tbls of cold butter as a snack
I will have a cold coffee with heavy cream in a little while, too.

My dinner is planned to be more salad and a thick slice of meatloaf.

If all goes according to plan, I should be at 1576 calories, 144 fat, 18 net carbs, 50 protein; 82% fat, 12% protein, and 6% carb.

Pretty good for the first try.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #246
Chatty Cathy

That is great!! I want meatloaf!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Good morning my stalled LC friends . Sorry I have been missing, but I had computer problems and am now having internet connection problems

After my 1lb loss a couple of weeks ago, I have resumed my bounce up and down and am now at 194.4 this morning

I haven't been able to read Jimmy's blog for awhile, but got the gist of what he is doing. I'm not really sure I can duplicate his efforts because I would need to seriously adjust my insulin for something so drastic. I am going to try really hard to stay at just under 60g of protein, 30g total carbs, and the rest fat. I haven't worked out how much fat, but I think it will be between 80 and 85g.

I read a little of the other thread and must say I also have a problem with the Stillman dieter mentioned. It really hurts when other LCers question how much you are "really" eating and say things about not feeding that diet to a child.

Good luck to everyone today. Please Cathy, feel free to post your menu

I'll try to post a recipe I have for Larry LJGuitars chocolate fridge fudge...which is very good (almost too good!) and has coconut oil and cream so a lot of fat!

Oh, and welcome to netters!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Larry LJGuitars Dark Chocolate Candy - Fridge Fudge.

2 c coconut oil barely melted (but melted)
2/3 c Heavy cream
2/3 c cocoa powder
1/2 c erythritol (I like the granular others like powdered)

I blend it with a hand blender (wand) in a 4 cup glass measuring cup.

Blend all these together - if it congeals before combining, just put it in micro and bring it up to temp till it barely melts (30 second to 1 minute)

Add sweetener to taste after the rest are blended (this is in addition to the original Erythritol)

Pour into 2 square Gladware contairs about 3/4" deep

Cool for 30 - 45 minutes in fridge. Remove and cut lines in a grid format in the partially setup chocolate so it will break into 1" squares later.

The milk-chocolate versus dark-chocolate can be controlled by adding more/less heavy cream. I've never made a complete milk chocolate, but I have lightened mine substantially.

Yesterday I made 1/2 of this recipe. I used 1 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 gladware container (sandwich size). I cut it into 25 squares. The only cream I had available was whipping cream (not heavy cream) which has 45 calories and 4.5g fat per Tablespoon. I used Truvia and a couple of drops of liquid splenda. Splenda alone tends to make chocolate bitter.

My nutritional info per piece: 87 calories; 10g fat; .76 carbs; .28g pro.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #249
Chatty Cathy

Good morning!! I appreciate your support so much. I wanted to let you know that the O.P. pm'd me and was very sweet and gracious. I hope she posts here too. I would have left things alone had others not started with their guise of insults.

The stillman person is to be ignored in my opinion - very 'old school' and has nothing of value to add. Kimkims comes to mind when I see that one.

Mo - thank you for the recipe!! I have copied it into my recipe file and will try it out when my supply of peanut butter cups is run out.

My menu for today...
coffee/hwc x 2
peanut butter cup - 1
coconut flour biscuit with 1 chopped egg/1tsp mayo and 1 small lettuce leaf
shirataki noodles with bacon, pasta sauce, mushroom and freshly grated parm
chocolate gluc pudding
TOTALS: cal 941, net carbs 17g, fat 82g and protein 32g.

Looking forward to increasing food over the weekend!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 06-21-2012 at 05:27 AM..
Old 06-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #250
Blabbermouth!!!

I didn't hit my target numbers today. I had my normal breakfast of coffee/cream/coconut oil which held me over until after noon. But we were out and about, and DH pulls into Jack in the Box because the kids were hungry. Now, I love Jack in the Box, but when he asked me what I wanted, I said "nothing for me, I'm back on the diet". A while later I asked him to pull into 7-Eleven where I got a diet Dr. Pepper, spicy pork rinds, and two beef and cheddar stick combos. And I was good to go. I had some more coffee and cream late in the afternoon, then dinner. Dinner was chicken marinated in a mayo/italian dressing combo, grilled, then topped with deli ham and swiss cheese (I call it grilled chicken cordon bleu) with some clean marinade on the side as a sauce. I also had to finish off the zucchini-cheese casserole. So, the protein was much higher than I wanted at 84 grams (25% of calories), and fat was too low at 115 grams (70%), carbs were good at 16 net (5%) with a total of 1463 calories today.
I did drop a pound of water yesterday/last night, so that's good. A few more days and I should know what my actual weight is sans all this water I'm toting.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good job girls!!!

Speck. I think you did very well with the situation.. you were faced with. <<(Bad sentence structure)
with which you were were faced?
in which you faced?
you found yourself in?
you had to navigate?

You did good!!

Cathy, I am impressed that you made it through and can now add some more food. Protein or fat??
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #252
Blabbermouth!!!

Lol... Thanks. How you doing' Dr J ?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #253
Chatty Cathy

Lol Drj!!

I am not sure what I am going to up - probably everything! Just joking - it will be a bit more protein. I have a grass-fed tenderloin steak awaiting me!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #254
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, more water released overnight, down another 1.2 lbs (6/20: 156.0, 6/21: 155.0, 6/22: 153.8). I think tomorrow I will be at my "real" weight.
OK, so breakfast today: coffee/cream/coconut oil
Lunch: I'm not entirely sure. I think I'll make some cream cheese based dip and eat it with my pork rinds from yesterday
Dinner: grilled wild caught salmon, lots and lots of homemade tartar sauce, salad with lots and lots of dressing.
Snack: butter and more coffee/cream

Will report the actual numbers tonight when I'm done eating for the day.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #255
Chatty Cathy

That is awesome!! My encouraging news is that my fbg is lower. It has been inching up along with my weight and as I have been reducing my protein (and carbs and calories via the fat fast) it has been gradually decreasing. Weird because I am not diabetic or maybe I was and didn't know it????
Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Well, more water released overnight, down another 1.2 lbs (6/20: 156.0, 6/21: 155.0, 6/22: 153.8). I think tomorrow I will be at my "real" weight.
OK, so breakfast today: coffee/cream/coconut oil
Lunch: I'm not entirely sure. I think I'll make some cream cheese based dip and eat it with my pork rinds from yesterday
Dinner: grilled wild caught salmon, lots and lots of homemade tartar sauce, salad with lots and lots of dressing.
Snack: butter and more coffee/cream

Will report the actual numbers tonight when I'm done eating for the day.
Fingers crossed for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
That is awesome!! My encouraging news is that my fbg is lower. It has been inching up along with my weight and as I have been reducing my protein (and carbs and calories via the fat fast) it has been gradually decreasing. Weird because I am not diabetic or maybe I was and didn't know it????
We are such a weird, screwed up bunch. Do you ever wonder if "outsiders" ever read this crap we are going through and wonder what alien species we evolved from? Do scientists ever secretly wish they could do experiments on us and our metabolisms? Do you ever wonder if you could survive a plane crash and be rescued 2 months later at the same weight you were when you boarded the plane?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Lol... Thanks. How you doing' Dr J ?

Hanging in there. You know, I have fallen off the horse, but not completely.

My foot is still in the stirrup and the horse is dragging me through the dirt.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #258
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Fingers crossed for you!

We are such a weird, screwed up bunch. Do you ever wonder if "outsiders" ever read this crap we are going through and wonder what alien species we evolved from? Do scientists ever secretly wish they could do experiments on us and our metabolisms? Do you ever wonder if you could survive a plane crash and be rescued 2 months later at the same weight you were when you boarded the plane?
thanks. Yes, I have wondered all those things.

Quote:
Hanging in there. You know, I have fallen off the horse, but not completely.

My foot is still in the stirrup and the horse is dragging me through the dirt.
Been there!

---
So, For lunch I ended up having some leftover meatloaf, with a side of mayo with a bit of ketchup mixed in. And a tlbs of peanut butter. This pushed my protein higher than I want, but I am coming down with a cold and wanted comfort food. I also had 5 cherries.
Dinner was as planned, plus a desert of 1 tbls butter and 1 tbls peanut butter. So, today's numbers are:
1567 calories/135 fat/28 net carbs/55 protein
77%/9%/14%
Old 06-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #259
Blabbermouth!!!

OK, I think it's safe to say I've tossed the excess water and am at my actual weight today which is 153.4, nearly half a pound drop since yesterday:
6/20: 156.0, 6/21: 155.0, 6/22: 153.8, 6/23: 153.4

Well, it's official. I am sick with a head cold. I am not going to diet strictly today.
Breakfast will be the usual coffee/cream/coconut oil, plus perhaps an almond flour zucchini muffin (I have a few that I made a while back that need to be eaten) with cream cheese.
Lunch, I'm thinking a quesadilla -- cheddar on a lc tortilla and some spicy jalapeno sauce.
Dinner was supposed to be roast chicken but the sucker is still in the freezer, so plan B cold be pork chops, but seriously, we've got lots of leftovers in the fridge and I think we'll just have a leftover night. I'm sick and why should I cook anyway. Hmph. lol
Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #260
Chatty Cathy

Speck, hope you are feeling better today - being sick really sucks.

So I have a question and thought you all might be able to help me sort it out....

Why would fasting blood glucose levels change (up or down) according to diet? After all, you don't have any food in your system at the time of testing so shouldn't glucose be a pretty steady number?

So here is why I am questioning this...

I was watching my fbg levels inch up for no apparent reason. I was as high as 6.7 (120.6) and am not a diabetic as far as I know. After 1 week of fat fasting my # this morning is 4.6 (82.8) - totally within the normal range. Maybe it is coincidental - maybe not. I will be continuing my effort in this....

I noticed that Jimmy Moores' fbg # were kind of all over the place. Maybe mine will be over a longer period of time....????
Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #261
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, but no, worse today. If I didn't have kids to take care of, I would have stayed in bed today.

I can't even begin to explain the bg numbers, except to say that there are things we simply do not understand and medical science has yet to figure out.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #262
Blabbermouth!!!

I felt like death warmed over yesterday. A bit better today. Despite my questionable eating yesterday (I wussed out and had a grilled swiss and ham sandwich on real bread, otherwise, the day was all low carb), I am down a bit today to 152.6 -- don't know if it will stick. I am still sick, and not sure how my eating will be today. So far, I've only had coffee and cream. For lunch I may have some salami and veggies with dip. Dinner will be chicken thighs and zucchini sauteed with bacon and onions.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Hi everyone. I should have been in this thread from the beginning of it since I've been stalled at 153 since Feb but I didn't know it was here. Thanks for starting it but I hope I'm not here long!

Mobear, I just now figured out that my stall was being caused by eating too much protein and I've started losing again since I started counting my protein again and lowered my goal, but I have a question...do you know if Dr. B's .8 grams of protein for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) of weight is for what our current weight is or for our ideal body weight? I've loaned my book out (again) and can't look it up. In my notes I had it down as ideal body weight, and that's what I reset my food goals for - 30g carbs, 45g protein, and 100g fat. In percentages that's 10%carbs/15%protein/75%fat. I had to play around with the tracker settings to get the grams of carbs & protein to come out right and then just accepted the fat it gave me as being right. Sometimes I have trouble eating enough fat but I don't want to go lower than 1200 calories, and I know the percentages are correct, so I find a way.

Btw, if anyone else wants it, the forumla is ideal weight ÷ 2.2 x .8 = grams protein per day. So for me - My ideal weight is 124 lbs, divided by 2.2 equals 56 kilograms. 56 kilograms multiplied by 0.8 equals 45 grams protein per day. Since resetting my protein, I've lost 3 lbs. I hope it continues! (But then, I won't be able to participate in this thread anymore! lol)
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #264
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi June! The more, the merrier! (har har har har.) ahem. My protein calculation with the formula you provided is 36 grams. Not far off from my original plan, but seems to be too low to be liveable. hmmm.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope Stillman reaches goal SOON and goes away again.

That is all. Carry on.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #266
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
I hope Stillman reaches goal SOON and goes away again.

That is all. Carry on.
A little nudge towards the door might be satisfying (read: boot)!!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi June! The more, the merrier! (har har har har.) ahem. My protein calculation with the formula you provided is 36 grams. Not far off from my original plan, but seems to be too low to be liveable. hmmm.
Remember, that's the minimum, for sedentary people (which currently describes me to a tee, unfortunately). If you're active you'd need more.

Trying to look up info on how much more ended up in me buying his new book! lol Now I can keep lending out my older one and keep the new one for myself.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #268
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneCC View Post
Hi everyone. I should have been in this thread from the beginning of it since I've been stalled at 153 since Feb but I didn't know it was here. Thanks for starting it but I hope I'm not here long!

Mobear, I just now figured out that my stall was being caused by eating too much protein and I've started losing again since I started counting my protein again and lowered my goal, but I have a question...do you know if Dr. B's .8 grams of protein for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) of weight is for what our current weight is or for our ideal body weight? I've loaned my book out (again) and can't look it up. In my notes I had it down as ideal body weight, and that's what I reset my food goals for - 30g carbs, 45g protein, and 100g fat. In percentages that's 10%carbs/15%protein/75%fat. I had to play around with the tracker settings to get the grams of carbs & protein to come out right and then just accepted the fat it gave me as being right. Sometimes I have trouble eating enough fat but I don't want to go lower than 1200 calories, and I know the percentages are correct, so I find a way.

Btw, if anyone else wants it, the forumla is ideal weight ÷ 2.2 x .8 = grams protein per day. So for me - My ideal weight is 124 lbs, divided by 2.2 equals 56 kilograms. 56 kilograms multiplied by 0.8 equals 45 grams protein per day. Since resetting my protein, I've lost 3 lbs. I hope it continues! (But then, I won't be able to participate in this thread anymore! lol)
Welcome June!! Of course we would be more than a little happy to have you post - particularly if you have broken a long term stall!!

Ty for the information and the calculation for protein. Are you also limiting calories?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the welcome, Cathy. No, I'm not limiting calories, in fact some days I have to make an effort to eat enough calories to not fall below 1200. But if I go over, I pay no attention as long as it's from fat and my carbs & protein stay at the right grams. When I set up the food tracker, I entered 30g carbs first as the most important number (being diabetic & following Bernstein), then the protein amount I'd figured out. I had to play around with the percentages to keep the grams where I wanted them. I started out thinking it would be 10/20/70 but it ended up being 10/15/75 to keep the grams right. I ignored calories completely but it kept setting it at 1200. That's probably because it's the standard for dieting women! lol

I'm not sure 3-4 months qualifies as a long term stall compared to some of the other stalls I've read on this thread but it was long enough to me. I don't think I would have been motivated enough to do anything about it if my husband hadn't wanted me to attend his brother's surprise birthday party next month, though. I haven't been to a 'family function' in about 6 years so feel a bit of pressure to look my best. They all knew me when I could have been the Playboy centerfold! Yuck, yuck, yuck!! They all saw me throughout my before & after 4 PG weights but none of them saw me during my pre & post diabetes stages. Anyway, it's a lot of motivation! lol
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Newbie staller!