Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #1591
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have been losing weight at a good rate. I hate to post here if no one else is losing. Really? I didn't want to jinx myself!

UF seems to have kicked something into gear.

I started the first of the year at 244, lost that magical 5 lbs with induction, and I am down to 225.5 today.

I am 1.5 lbs from a 50 pound loss. Only took 3 years and 4 months! That is an average of 0.31 lbs/week.

At this rate, I will reach goal --6:37pm, Sept 3rd, 2016!

Party at my house and you all are invited. I hear it will be warm and sunny on that date. I will cook steak on the grill and you can bring a LC dish to share!

Last edited by drjlocarb; 05-06-2013 at 08:07 AM..
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #1592
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Maureen - good to hear from you and that you have found good blood sugar control and at least some help with the sleep issues!

DrJ - Wow, that is a great run! That's about 20 pounds and almost 50!!! Congratulations!!!

I am going slower than you at .28 pounds per week. Ha! Perhaps I will make it by 2016 as well! <sigh> I have wanted to make it before 50 but at this rate... If I make it, I will help bankroll your party!

I can barely stand to eat potatoes. I have been eating up since Wednesday or Thursday and I am FINALLY warm! I woke up this morning with a little bit of sweaty palms - I had almost forgotten what it felt like to even be too hot under the covers! It helps that the weather is warmer, but mostly I am just plain eating enough food. I feel like a human being again. I am eating oysters and eggs and rice. I bought some kefir -

I am looking into trying another weird diet. Richard N at Free the Animal is doing the milk diet. He claims he is not hungry at all on I think two quarts of raw milk a day. Well, one quart of milk and one quart of kefir - or just over it or something. No way I would drink raw milk, but I am fascinated by how he says he feels so good and is not craving anything. I just looked at his week 5 newsletter - I think he finished up there over 15 pounds down and is going off of it now.

I bought some unmodified potato starch - I will add it to milk and see if I have the peaceful night with pleasant dreams. I think it is suppoed to keep the low blood sugar episodes from happening and improves sleep. I heard low blood sugar causes nightmares and adrenalin surges to bring it back up. I am not having night terrors right now, but I do have them sometimes.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 05-06-2013 at 11:02 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #1593
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I can barely stand to eat potatoes. I have been eating up since Wednesday or Thursday and I am FINALLY warm!...
DH has been stalled for a few weeks because he's not really been following the JUDDD UDs and DDs (too many business engagements have crossed with a DD).

He's just finished a 3 day potato hack and will now be doing potato DDs to chivy himself along a little. He ate massively more potato than I did and doesn't seem to have had the same appetite curbing that I did albeit he did, of course, lose 4lbs in those 3 days.

I'm plodding along with my leptin reset programme, waiting to see results and beginning to be apprehensive that I may have to resort to more extreme hacks to lose my next 6lbs or so. However, I promised myself that I'd follow the leptin reset until at least the end of May - even though it has meant giving up my bike rides.

Mind you, I'm grateful to the potato hack for the prolonged effect on curbing my appetite and also revealing that neither the potato nor rice are trigger foods for me - it's entirely to do with the way they are prepared.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #1594
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Drjlocarb I am absolutely thrilled for you . I'll bring a dish to the party! I do understand the "jinxing" fear.

KeyTones I really wish the improvement in blood sugar would be a little more consistent. One morning I'm waking up at 85 and the next at 125 with really no idea why the difference. Recently in my endo testing I discovered that I am only making a small amount of insulin on my own....but maybe some days that small amount is still different than other days. My quest to understand and control my blood sugar is the number 1 priority at this point.

SlowSure I have to admire anyone who can do JUDDD and carry on with social/business obligations. It has got to be difficult. Good luck to your husband. I noticed that you are close to goal weight (you lucky person) and it seems those last few pounds can be really tough. Quite some time ago a number of posters were reporting luck with leptin reset. Have to admit that I never tried it since Dr. Bernstein thinks that most people are most insulin resistant in the morning...and all that protein would be easier to convert to glucose.

Hi Cathy hope things are going ok. It has always taken me a long time to recover from losing one of my little furry pals. One thing I've learned over the years is that it is necessary to allow myself to grieve. Some people probably think that is silly....but it is the only way that I can accept the change and move on.

Today is a new day and I'm continuing my efforts to log my food and control my diabetes. Hope everyone has a good day!
Mobear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #1595
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Hi Mobear, DrJ, and everyone. I've been so busy. Just plodding along.
Yes, summer is coming. A few more weeks. But my June into July is insane. I won't get a break for while yet.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #1596
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I have been losing weight at a good rate. I hate to post here if no one else is losing. Really? I didn't want to jinx myself!

UF seems to have kicked something into gear.

I started the first of the year at 244, lost that magical 5 lbs with induction, and I am down to 225.5 today.

I am 1.5 lbs from a 50 pound loss. Only took 3 years and 4 months! That is an average of 0.31 lbs/week.

At this rate, I will reach goal --6:37pm, Sept 3rd, 2016!

Party at my house and you all are invited. I hear it will be warm and sunny on that date. I will cook steak on the grill and you can bring a LC dish to share!
FANTASTIC!!! I am so very happy for your Drjlo!!!

I had a long period of very stressful events and then a trip to Europe which was great but also offered it's own brand of stress. I am not sure if this contributes to my weight loss or not....?????

The vacation went really well and I managed to hang on to my ketosis which served me very well. I am now down about 10 lbs. from the same time last year (and the year before that). The other thing is that I have now become just overweight instead of obese.

I am 100% sure this is in part due to the thyroid treatment and in conjunction with N.K..

Good to hear from everyone and know that you are all still around (except Sven). Hope you are all doing well.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #1597
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
FANTASTIC!!! I am so very happy for your Drjlo!!!

I had a long period of very stressful events and then a trip to Europe which was great but also offered it's own brand of stress. I am not sure if this contributes to my weight loss or not....?????

The vacation went really well and I managed to hang on to my ketosis which served me very well. I am now down about 10 lbs. from the same time last year (and the year before that). The other thing is that I have now become just overweight instead of obese.

I am 100% sure this is in part due to the thyroid treatment and in conjunction with N.K..

Good to hear from everyone and know that you are all still around (except Sven). Hope you are all doing well.
WOW!!!

European vacation and down 10 pounds!!!! Amazing!!!!

I am so happy for you, Cathy!

It is great to hear your NK plan and thyroid treatment are helping you - congratulations on all your hard work. Well-deserved!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #1598
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Cathy I am just thrilled for you . Glad the stress has let up some and the vacation sounds wonderful. You've really worked to find a way to break your stall so this is really great news!
Mobear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #1599
Chatty Cathy

Thank you Maureen and KT!

The trip was a family trip with 21 people and of course that brings along many personalities and what have you. One of the family members is my S.I.L. who is just finishing up her degree in kinesiology which of course includes nutritional training. I had to bite my tongue on many occasions when she was spouting her 'knowledge'. She is convinced that we all need carbs to operate our brains. This is what our universities are still teaching. She actually went so far as to say that gluconeogenisis is not enough. I guess she thinks I have been brain dead for going on 4 yrs. now.....??? She is planning on becoming a person who helps treat people with diabetes as she sees that as a 'growth field'. Hmmmm.....I still have a sore tongue from biting on it.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #1600
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy - you have my sympathies for being trapped with the SIL spouting off like that. Ugh!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #1601
Chatty Cathy

Ya, I am still a bit upset but glad I didn't get into it with her as tempting as it was. Another s.i.l. began saying things like 'well now I have had my carbs for the day' after eating toast and a banana for breakfast. Seemed like some were trying to needle me. I wonder if they ever noticed that I never commented on what they were eating or what I was eating or not eating.

I did have discussions with some others that are doing low carb and maybe that may them feel defensive. I don't know but am happy to be back in my own home where I can eat when and what I like. Sorry for the vent!!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #1602
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know why people feel the need to do that!

For some of this, this is our only place to vent!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #1603
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I messed up the multiple quoting

Quote:
I don't know why people feel the need to do that!

For some of this, this is our only place to vent!
I will never understand why adults pass comments on the food/dietary preferences of another autonomous adult. It's breathtakingly disrespectful and I'm always baffled that this isn't more apparent to the 'concerned commenter'.

Clackley, I wonder what your SIL thinks is happening when people follow a 90% kcalories from fat ketogenic diet to control epilepsy or migraines. Or in the brains of neonates?

Last edited by SlowSure; 05-23-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Old 05-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #1604
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Qotje thnfcjdl rjr rjrnfl vbalcn'ng b fs fhfj slnvdn snv!!

^^ Brain without carbs and unable to function. << gluconeogenesis kicking in
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #1605
Chatty Cathy

Bahhaaahaaaahaaaa!!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #1606
Chatty Cathy

Found this little quote today and thought it very succinct.

Quote:
The concept of the “calorie”, as applied to nutrition, is an oversimplification so extreme as to be untrue in practice.
Can't wait to use it in an actual discussion!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #1607
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi All,

I hope you are all doing well.

I have been off the wagon for weeks, weighed in and pretended I didn't!(logged a DNW last week), but after a couple of days back on my diet, I am back down to 198 (below the dreaded 200 pounds).

I'm reading the Hawaiian Diet, which I cannot recommend because it is so much about the culture. I am skipping through...

I finally hit something interesting. I have heard about the volume of food so many times (and just plain did not believe it), but this author talks about the *weight* of food. He believes one element of the problem with SAD vs. traditional diet is the traditional diet (which was very high carb yet yielded thin healthy people) was so low in calories for its weight, especially the staple of taro/poi. I think he said they would have to eat over 6 pounds of taro to get to 2000 calories, and most people will only eat about 3-4 pounds of food per day. However, the SAD can put you way over with this weight of food.

So, this has me thinking...I went to the store and bought tomatoes and cucumbers. Perhaps I have relied too much on spinach. I'm going to work on the weight of the food and see if it makes any difference.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #1608
Chatty Cathy

Hello everyone!! K.T., you always seem to find something new and interesting. I would love to hear how the weight of your food strategy is going.

I seem to have stalled once again. No surprise really. My really big problem now is my acne. I have never in my life had this before and since around the time I started my thyroid meds, my skin has gotten progressively worse. Apparently the 2 are tied together for some 'lucky' folks. It is really difficult to deal with as nothing seems to improve it. I see my doc in a month......
Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #1609
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm semi-stalled again. I seem to hit a low in the 3rd week of a 4 week cycle and then it instantly disappears for another 4 weeks, leaving me around 1.2lb lighter over the 4 week cycle, if that. Obviously, better than nothing but achingly slow, so I've switched to JUDDD maintenance since May 25 as the last 3-4lbs is putting up stern resistance and I should probably put the effort that is taking into something else with greater overall value.

I'm looking into combining a ketogenic flavour of the Perfect Health Diet (PHD) with a maintenance level of JUDDD. I'm considering this as an alternative to using prophylactic medication/triptans to control my migraines. I find the migraines very disruptive and it would be worth a lot to me to be able to reduce their frequency and intensity.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #1610
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy and SlowSure - sorry to hear about the stalls - this is business as usual for me. I realized I have made NO progress since February 22nd. I weigh just what I did on that date. Ugh...

Cathy - wow, sorry to hear about the skin problems. I hope it isn't too awful.

I don't know if it is the type that my daughter has - she gets just a few spots of really large pimples (like I do), so the creams don't help those much except to make them peel and look worse. I got her the zeno machine but it doesn't help that much either. I read something that zaps these large ones easily - you just heat up spoon in some very hot water (I microwave water in a cup), test to see that you are not going to burn yourself by holding it near your lips (they sense heat well), then press the spoon into the pimple and when it feels like it is cooling, slide the spoon a little to a hotter spot on the spoon. This kills the bacteria and the pimple shrinks to flat *immediately*. You know when you've zapped it right away.

Of course, if you have the small type over a large area I am sure this isn't helpful information at all...

I am perplexed - I am reading Terry Shintani's books now. He has the interesting claim that Hawaiians have some of the worst obesity problems in the world. He seems to believe a large factor is that they adapted to staple taro/poi which has fewer calories than even potatoes I noticed, and the SAD is just plain to rich for people that had historically surviced on such sparce food. He showed pictures of hawaiians many years ago and none were obese when they were first discovered. So, he puts these people that are commonly 300 + overweight, some of his patients 700-or over 800 pounds, and they just drop weight easily eating their fill of high starch, veg/fruit, low fat/low protein....I wish there was poi around here, but anyway...

I have reduced my protein to no more than a chicken wing's worth of meat per day (I gather he allows 7 ounces of meat per week - not so stringent as McDougall). On faith, I have been eating my fill of rice (!) and eating a lot more vegetables. I can't believe how much I have been eating (I am a bit horrified filling the dishwasher - isn't someone else in the house eating too - no, all my dishes!), and so far, doing a week of this, I am bouncing between 197-198 (I was bad for a few weeks before memorial day and went over 200 lbs - so I have debloated somehow eating up on rice!!!). I would think I would be gaining weight like crazy. I don't get it, but I believe what he is saying. However, no weight loss yet.

He is interesting in that he requires daily foods from iron and calcium sources, which is forcing me to seek out leafy greens, which I have avoided. Mostly, I am not a big vegetable fan. I have to rely on cucumbers and pulverizing greens in the Vitamix. I don't really believe in fiber as satiating so I don't care about pulverizing the fiber.

All I can think of is this has got to be steering hormones. I don't get it. I will work on weight loss once I get out of this boot (more potatoes vs. rice I think will cause weight loss)...I have a torn ligament and messed up my neck and back falling in the dang boot Monday. It's not bad, but I am a bit sore.

I am hoping I don't go cold and tired again...I really want this weight loss - if I could only find 175 pounds.

Anyway...yep, I am trying out the Hawaiian diet now. Very similar to McDougall

Last edited by Key Tones; 06-05-2013 at 08:35 AM..
Old 07-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #1611
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi All,

I've started a new thread. I know this may not be your cup of tea, but I think I am on to something...in case you are interested. I think this can be applied to any food plan in some form and could work. Perhaps this is the key to leptin resistance.

Stephan Guyenet Recommendations - Reduce Food Reward in Paleo Setting
Old 07-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #1612
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I've started a new thread....I think this can be applied to any food plan in some form and could work. ..

Stephan Guyenet Recommendations - Reduce Food Reward in Paleo Setting
Interesting thread, KT.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #1613
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, I've been experimenting with Stephan Guyenet's and Seth Robert's recommendations to reduce food reward (they have different ideas).

I am thinking now that separating the fat out from the coffee/sweetener and not eating it with foodis working for weight loss. I now am going to go back to Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet, something I have always believed in.

I dropped a lot of weight with the potato hack earlier this year, and restarted it again after the 4th of July, and had already dropped 7-8 pounds, then I applied the food reward ideas and dropped another 4-5 pounds in the last week. I have been massively confused about why the potato hack works. I now think it is the reduction in food reward. Potatoes, with nothing on them, taste like mostly nothing with a hint of dirt.

Yesterday, I ate mostly fat in the form of ghee, chia seeds, and (kind of embarassingly), the fat that comes in Kale Krunch. I ate two potatoes (which I was doing for my carbs on Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet) and some sort of lobster tail-like protein last night. I have been drinking small amounts of keifer for the probiotics since I can't handle fermented vegetables. I've been mostly getting my protein from eggs the past week. I have reduced (but not elminated) the amount of vegetables.

I know it sounds odd, but the idea is to take flavorless calories to lower the fat set point. I took my ghee shot yesterday morning with my nose pinched. I ate butter this morning the same way.

I haven't previously figured out how to knock out my appetite with fat. I finally 'got' it.

As I understand it, your brain associates caloric food with the sense of smell. It seems to hack the system if you can't smell it (like when you lose your appetite when you can't smell anything with a cold). This is per Roberts.

Guyenet, if I understand correctly, says in so many words that food reward seems to overload the brain so the hypothalmus can't sense the leptin from the fat stores. If you calm this down, your brain (hypothalmus) senses your fat stores and decides to let the fat go. It ramps down appetite. It stops slowing metabolism (thyroid!). It stops trying to minimizing muscle contractions to conserve calories (efficient movements).

Also, Guyenet says autoimmune issues and inflammation interfere with the hypothalmus sensing the leptin. This blows me away. I am all about the autoimmune issues (hives) and inflammation (I have been suffering severe tendonitis in the ankle - in physical therapy).

Last week my tendonitis was so bad my physical therapist gave up and said go back to the podiatrist. My hives were so bad I was icing myself. This week, I know it hasn't been long, but with the increase in fat, this is all calming down.

This is amazing stuff.

My GOSH, I think I can come back and go with the Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet again. I am going to do melted "butter shots" with the nose pinched.

I have always thought anything I read before about leptin was off. I finally think I understand it now.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #1614
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know if you all are still here, but I think I am on to something.

I've been reading more about leptin, and I am sad to find that my prior readings a few years ago by Rosedale and Richards just sounded like the regular low carb/insulin resistance and didn't get me anything. Sad that I didn't find better info. Now, however...

Check out this post by Jack Kruse. It has to be googled (can't post a link).

The Leptin Rx: FAQs

Also, the Leptin 101 post is great.

In particular, his notes about thyroid are so interesting.

Also, he describes a phenomenon I have not understood before. His symptoms of leptin resistance were, in me, extremely high at my high weight. In particular, the skin on the feet problem was so bad I tried every cream out there due to cracking and bleeding. It is all gone now.

He is terribly exciting to listen to. If you are looking for something to shake things up! He is low carb friendly.

Check out the podcasts on Jimmy Moore's site. Or, just go to Jack Kruse site. He links the podcasts.

I am thinking of continuing with the Roberts/Guyenet recommendations and frontloading my calories to breakfast (instead of dinner) now.

I'm pretty sure I heard Kruse make fun of Guyenet though...something about sitting around reading rat studies vs. actual clinical experience.

I'm going to stack all the seemingly valid leptin resistance recommendations I can find and see what happens.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #1615
Chatty Cathy

Just wondering how all our group is doing? We seem to be less determined ... at least in talking about it.

Listened to a JM podcast with a couple - one a doctor and they were adamant that a carb load for an insulin spike was very important for weight loss. Wonder if any of you heard it and what you think. I am seriously considering it with non carb foods. I have to say, the thought scares me.

Hope you are all well nd that you find the time to check in and say 'hey!'.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #1616
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cathy,

Things are fine here. I took a week and a half for vacation, and spent a good 5 days at Disneyland and then a day at Universal Studios and a day at Knottsberry Farm. In the days leading up to this, I took a week off the diet and just let down.

I am up to 196 pounds now, which isn't bad for eating all that road food. I am happy with it and in the process of trying to debloat. I haven't been consistent with starting the Shangri-La shots yet, but I will get back to it this weekend.

Anyway...

Yep, I have heard this before about the insulin spike. McDougall floats this theory on as to why his diet works (low fat, starch-based vegan diet). He insists that this is how your body knows it has had something to eat and is critical to satiety and this is how his diet works. He cites case after case after case of diabetics going on his diet and within weeks coming off of their medications. For weight loss he doesn't allow bread so that explains a lot. It is more about the potatoes and squash.

I have read everything about why people think the potato hack works (McDougall made up the potato hack years ago). there are huge threads on MDA about it. I don't think anyone really knows. Some people think it is the resistant starch. I tried buying this starch - I bought three types. It made no difference adding more starch to the potatoes or adding it to other foods. I just don't buy it. I am sure some people are telling the truth that their blood sugar improves by adding it. Mine went to normal without the extra starch, so, whatever. I didn't notice any improvement in satiety with it.

Oh, and people on MDA say they feel they are in ketosis on the potatoes. I felt the same thing. I know it sounds crazy, but metal mouth and everything. I think your body just quickly grabs the glucose and puts it away, your blood sugar drops, and you hardly got any calories in the whole process, so there you are. I certainly became glycogen depleted. I think taht is a good part of the big whoosh people experienced.

Some cite the satiety index. Potatoes are the most filling food by a long shot on the list. yeah, but the question is...why???

Potatoes are bland as all get out. I strongly suspect this. Who can eat a bit pile of potatoes with nothing on them. It is impossible.

Anyway, I have moved on to using sweet potatoes because I noticed my joints are getting achy, especially if I have no potatoes for a while then start in on them again. Nightshades I suppose.

So, now I use sweet potatoes. I eat two per day. Nothing with them or on them, I just eat them plain. They do the trick. I highly recommend them. My blood sugar is super with them. It jumps 10 points higher if I try to use brown rice instead, and frankly, I can tell right away I am not doing as well by how I feel. It jumps 25 points if I do low carb. I have tried this several times to be sure of the effect. Oddly, although my fasting blood sugar jumps on low carb, I feel perfectly fine and happy, unlike when I eat rice. Rice seems dangerous to me, although some paleo people think it is "safe."

I really think the insulin spike, the satiety, the blandness, and the resistant starch are synergistic here. So, I am not doing the potato hack anymore. I usually have two sweet potatoes (as in one for breakfast, one for lunch) and a regular dinner (salmon and veg cooked in kerrygold butter, or grassfed meatloat (I grind up the inexpensive Trader Joes grassfed burgers) and veg, or pastured egg omlet) for dinner and a little keifer diluted in water for probiotic purposes only, and two Shangri-La shots of MCT oil per day. Oh, and one brazil nut per day (Perfect Health diet - for selenium). Snack on seaweed for minerals/iodine. Great formula.

I think the caloric load of spiking insulin with whey is too high to make it work and causes hunger. I have some whey in the house, but it is only for my disaster/emergency food kit.

Some of the paleo folks think potatoes and sweet potatoes and other tubers are safe. I do too. I don't agree with the paleo folks that think rice is safe. Maybe if you don't have diabetes.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #1617
Chatty Cathy

Hi there K.T.! Good to hear you are doing well and thank you for your take on the insulin issue and possible explanations. I am deathly afraid to do much in this direction because I know how carb addicted I am and the notion that I can now handle some seems like 'pie in the sky' (sorry for the pun).

The podcast was described like this - I quote
Quote:
Ask The Low-Carb Experts (Episode 45): John Kiefer & Dr. Rocky Patel | Cyclical Ketogenic Diets For Health & Performance: ATLCX (Episode 45): John Kiefer & Dr. Rocky Patel | Cyclical Ketogenic Diets For Health And Performance « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog ~ This 90-minute episode features exercise scientist, nutrition expert, and the author of The Carb-Nite Solution and Carb Back-Loading 1.0 John Kiefer as well as a board-certified family physician from Gilbert, Arizona named Dr. Rocky Patel from the “Arizona Sun Prevention Center.” These two extremely knowledgeable men brought their extensive knowledge and experience about ketogenic cycling to answer some really fascinating listener-submitted questions about this topic. DON'T MISS THIS ONE!
The advocate a ketogenic diet but the difference is the advice and theory of a weekly insulin spike in the evening and just one meal. I thought that the explanation for this was interesting. I can't quote what exactly they said and need to go back and listen to it again and discover exactly what it is.

I know this concept is not new and I have always thought it was counter productive due to the readaption to ketosis everytime and I also don't want to reintroduce carb foods but the idea of using non carb foods really seems like a possibility. I was considering a protein food that exceeds my daily limit and consumed within a hour or 2.

Btw, my history with low carb is that I did really well for close to 3 yrs and lost all my weight and then went on an intentional foray (thanksgiving) and could never regain my traction with low carb. I regained all my lost weight and an additional 50 lbs. The penalty for going off plan for even a short time was pretty high. I am afraid to risk it again.

I am technically losing again but it is so slow it is barely detectable. I can claim between 8 and 10 lbs. over the past year. I still need to lose 40 lbs. It is most likely a combo of n.k. and thyroid meds.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #1618
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woot!!! 8-10 pounds in a year is fabulous!!! I am not kidding; at this stage I have read so many having trouble with a diet that worked before and doesn't anymore. I keep switching it up and wonder if just the switching is the key.

I didn't realize what happened to you! I am so sorry. I will shut it about the carbs. Fortunately, I don't like sweet potatoes that much. They are OK. I freak out on desserts, like yesterday at a restaurant for a work lunch. They love to order one of all the desserts. Everyone can eat a bite or two. I can as well, but I am sitting there wishing no one was around so I could eat them all. Once I am out of there, I am OK. There is something about free food I wish I didn't feel that way.

Oh, I had not heard about spiking one meal/once per week, although I have heard of eating off plan once per week. It is in the four hour body book, but I think the reason there was to eat a LOT on that day to keep metabolism up.

I am so glad the NK/thyroid is working! Let me know how the spike thing goes if you do it. Ooo, I think I would make a big smoothie with greek yogurt, blueberries, stevia, strawberries...yep, a big one!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #1619
Chatty Cathy

Well I seem to have failed to spike my insulin despite my almost 120g of protein in one meal. Unless, I did and missed it .... my ketones are 1.2 this morning. Pretty average reading for me. I feel the same as well.

I do think that switching it up makes some sense. Today I am going to i.f. until dinner. I am so sick of being fat.....
Old 09-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #1620
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, maybe if you try whey? I have read that it creates a larger insulin response than would be expected. Maybe that would work?

I read up on it when I found I was hungry trying Eades Middle Aged Middle diet. I wanted to know what the heck was with the whey. Maybe you could put up with it for just one meal per week.

Hang in there, Cathy. I actually came back from vacation more appreciative of my current condition. I was able to walk all day and enjoy my vacation. Even if I never lose more weight, at least I have this ability to enjoy more life.

I finally bought the Demartini Method book Breakthrough Experience. It is really helping me with more balanced thinking without interfering with me striving for what I want. I'm maybe 2/3 through the book now. He does have a different take on life than I have heard of before. I realize my thinking is off in trying to achieve ideal things without accepting drawbacks that always come with anything in life.