Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #1561
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Ha! I feel better already. Bacon and eggs for breakfast! I even feel better even though I managed to sprain my ankle yesterday.

Yep, it is that calming. Amazing!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #1562
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Checking in - how are you ladies?

Where did Svenskame go???

I went to the doc after spraining my ankle (it is fine -just need a brace due to ligament injury). He was pleased with my weight loss. He graphed it back to 2007, but really, it started in 2005.

He follows a paleo diet. We haven't talked about it for a while - he used to tell me he was following Neanderthin. Now he is following paleo blogs and has put out a paper on his recommendations. It is called Why Carnivores are Always Thin (if only this were true - but probably it would be if metabolic derrangement had not happened in the first place on the SAD). You can google to the ibook if you are interested. It has its own website, but I noticed an ad, so I don't think I can post it.

He also reads the paleo blogs, so he knew about the potato hack! I didn't have to explain. He did not approve, of course. He did a blood draw to check for deficiencies. I should hear back sometime this week (he will mail results). I think it is too soon for deficiencies to show up.

I finally weighed in. Up two pounds to 195. Not bad, really, after being on vacation and all. It is within my normal fluctuation, actually.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #1563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Checking in - how are you ladies?

...He did not approve, of course. He did a blood draw to check for deficiencies. I should hear back sometime this week (he will mail results). I think it is too soon for deficiencies to show up.

I finally weighed in. Up two pounds to 195. Not bad, really, after being on vacation and all. It is within my normal fluctuation, actually.
I'm impressed that your potato hack weight loss has mostly maintained.

I'm transitioning to my leptin reset (LR) and just realised that I have to drop my JUDDD DD and UD calories as I'm not supposed to exercise during the reset, so that's a nasty shock. (It's tricky to eat the minimum 50g protein breakfast which is a keystone of the LR within an overall daily limit of 317kcals on DDs.)

Overall I'm OK. It will be interesting to see if I plateau/stall again. (Migraine at the end of potato hack is still complicating the overall weight loss figure as I still have swollen joints etc. from it more than a week on.)

I hope your blood work results are OK.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #1564
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure,

I get one achy joint near the tip of my left index finger. It is fairy intense, and it tends to come on a couple of days after I restart on the potato hack. I don't know what that is about, because it always goes away before I decide to say anything about it. So, I have one achy joint a couple of days a week, but nothing this week. I don't know what that is about.

I hope your leptin reset works out.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #1565
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I also wonder about Maureen......

I am plugging along and trying to reduce my stress.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #1566
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning ladies. I miss you all!

I'm plodding along. I've been maintaining for weeks around 196, which is OK. I haven't been doing anything hard core lately. I did order a mixer and a grill, so when I am ready to potato hack hard core, I will be ready to make it a little different.

I went to a new grief group because I needed something social that night, but it was a bit of a set back. I'm not sure how I feel about going anymore.

I am looking at the Demartini method for stress, anxiety, etc. Have you all heard of it? I'm starting with youtube videos so see how I feel about it.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #1567
Chatty Cathy

Hi K.T.! Good to see you. I miss everyone too.

I have been just doing my regular v.l.c. eating and regained the 'lost' weight. I was most likely caused by stress. It just doesn't seem to let up.....

I haven't heard of the Demartini method but will be looking into it. Thanks and let us know what you think of it? Btw, I am so sorry you are struggling with grief (you have had such a huge loss). I am sending you virtual hugs.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #1568
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Hi everyone, KT, Cathy...

I'm hanging in there. My schedule has been unreal the last couple weeks. But I'm enjoying a more relaxed weekend and next week will be pretty light at work. I've been exploring the idea that I'm entering pre-menopause and perhaps am estrogen dominant and that might be inhibiting my weightloss. I ordered some magnesium capsules and progesterone cream to help with that. I've been using them for a few days, it's too early to tell.
I've been enjoying a bit of rice once a week or so. Rice doesn't seem to give me any problems in small amounts. My weight has been holding steady for weeks.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #1569
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Good morning friends. I promised myself I would post here today. I've given up on NK. That is a really tough thing to say . After losing 7lbs in November/December, I went off the rails by eating much more fat and protein. Trying to get back to where I needed to be turned out to be impossible.

I was eating about 150g of fat a day and was terribly hungry. I felt almost as out of control as I did when I was eating high carb. When I did lose those 7# I was eating about 45g protein (including veggies) a day. Not convinced that was a safe idea and perhaps my loss came from lbm. Weight wise I am back to last July.

Since about the first week of April I've been trying to do just regular lc and struggling to stay in control. Funny the carbs haven't been a problem. The very low protein seems to have unleashed a protein binge monster which I'm trying to push back in the closet. Yesterday I started telling myself that I can eat as much protein as I want....in hopes of turning off that binge monster. I am certain the deprivation didn't do me any favors.

Cathy it sounds like you have put NK on hold for a little while. Sorry about all your stress.

Speck333 its nice to see you.

Svenskamae if you are out there . I know she was going to Boston on business for 10 days or so in the middle of March. Hope she is ok and just trying to get back into the swing of posting.

KeyTones I'm sorry to hear about the grief support group problems. My potato experiment (for sleep) only worked a few times so I gave them up again. Wishing you success with the hack when you start up again.

I've been reading off and on. Only posted a few times in the main lobby and recipe section, but need to be here more.

Oh, drjlocarb. You should be getting ready for your upcoming cruise. Hope some of the problems have let up.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #1570
Chatty Cathy

Really good to hear from you Maureen. I have been wondering what was happening with you as the last few posts, you spoke of your struggles and then the potatoes .... well if it were me, I may have fallen into the carb hell I came from. So good that you are managing and n.k. is not the be all end all - I can attest to that.

I am still doing n.k.. and still adjusting my thyroid meds. A very slow process.

What cruise drjlo? Could it be the low carb cruise?????
Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #1571
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It is good to hear from you all.

Maureen - I am so sorry to hear of your struggles.

All--hang in there.

I have broken out in a gum sore, which never happens to me. I am a little worried; I have heard that vegan diet is such trouble for gums/teeth. I have ordered some k2/d3 pills and have started taking liver capsules again. I have been lax on bone broth and krill oil pills. I am going to add gelatin to my smoothies. I don't want to give up on the potatoes--only thing that has worked lately, so I am going to supplement.

My fear of the vegan diet has made it hard for me to work it lately. So, I hope this puts my fears to rest for a while.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #1572
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy way back in December (post #959) drjlocarb mentioned going on the LC cruise in May for her 50th birthday. Hope she is still planning on going. Maybe she can ask some questions which will help us really "stuck" friends (kind of selfish thinking on my part).

Hope she has a really great time. I've never wanted to go on a cruise, but this would probably be fun.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #1573
Chatty Cathy

Ahhh, thank you Maureen!! Yes, Drjlo, do have a great time and an early !
Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #1574
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Nope, not going. That is all part of the bad crap in the last 2 months.

Good to see you all are still around and determined.

NK seems to be working for me as long as I keep a real close eye on calories and protein grams. The low protein thing is very, very hard for me, but I have been trying a high day low day thingie that seems to help. On days I crave meat, I eat it, with lower fat. The next day I try to eat higher fat and less protein.

This way I can have my steak and eat it too.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #1575
Blabbermouth!!!

Nice to see people posting. I'm chugging along. I feel pretty good about life. Got a handle on my stress. The progesterone is helping I think. I continue to be inconsistent with my diet. I don't want to eat lc foods. I pretty much don't eat Mon-Thurs except enough to sustain life. Then on the weekend give in to deprivation and eat things I shouldn't. It's one way to maintain, but I don't recommend it. Lol
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #1576
Major LCF Poster!

So sorry to hear about the cruise drjlocarb -and all the other terrible stuff over the last couple of months. Life can really be tough at times! Glad that NK is sort of working for you with your own tweaks.

Speck333 glad the stress is better - that is very good news.

Cathy sorry to hear you found those last couple of pounds you lost. Stress is such an evil thing...it certainly screws up hormones. Do you see any relief from the hypothyroid issues yet?

Hope the supplements are helping Key Tones. Gum sores are nasty and painful...hope its gone now.

I've been housebound for a few days because DH had my car while his was in the shop for repair. Got some housework done , but still struggling to get blood sugar down under 100 consistently. I have to admit that this is a pain in all my parts . Just trying not to go completely off the rails.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #1577
Chatty Cathy

I lost my beloved senior dog this week. She was 16.5 yrs. old and was a fixture in my life. So hard.... couldn't eat at all. I am so thankful to have my other dog .... she is a great comfort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sadie summer 2012 2.jpg (25.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by clackley; 04-27-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #1578
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh No!! So sorry Cathy. Giant hugs for you.

I have no words to make it better for you, but I do have tears. I will be thinking about you. So sorry.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #1579
Chatty Cathy

Awwww,thanks Drjlo. I know,you know all too well how heart wrenching it is. Dogs are the best but when we lose one, it is just awful....the price of love.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #1580
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy - oh no, I am so so sorry you lost your dog so dear to you. Oh....my
Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #1581
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Update on the potato diet - I have been experimenting to make it livable. I've discovered horrible hunger this week, which seemed to resolve when I dropped the pasta/pizza sauces, dropped the banana in the smoothie, and added Emergen-C and Emergen-C vitamin drinks.

I did a meat and egg day on Wednesday and my fasting blood sugar jumped to 96 from low to mid 80s. I ate rice for dinner last night (it is supposed to be legal) and my fasting blood sugar was 99. It seems only potatoes hold my blood sugar in the mid to low 80s.

The potato hack during the week with Fri night to Sunday off seems to be my new maintenance plan. I hope not. I am fluctuating around 195 now.

I'm experimenting with the low carb fruit smoothies with vegetables.

I noticed a couple of people I thought were losing weight on their plans are posting in the weight loss surgery area. I went there for help on ideas for what to do due to cold and fatigue (which I am suffering from, and had it before the potato hack but it is getting worse). I assume it is from under eating. It is one of those things that makes me feel that much more hopeless. I keep having to do more and more extreme things.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #1582
Blabbermouth!!!

Cathy, I'm so sorry about the loss of your pup. Losing pets is so hard
Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #1583
Blabbermouth!!!

KT- it just shouldn't be so friken hard! hmph!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #1584
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
KT- it just shouldn't be so friken hard! hmph!
Right On!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #1585
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Right On!!!
I agree completely. For those that say, eat less, move more I can only say I wish to heaven that it was that easy.

Cathy I am so very sorry about your losing your much loved dog.
Some people think I'm crazy, but since I have no human children, I've kind of treated my dogs as my children. Love them to pieces and am devastated when they pass on.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #1586
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, I am back to thinking I am a Zucker rat! Good grief.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #1587
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all. My we have been quiet lately....me included. I seem to be gradually regaining blood sugar control. I have had several days in the past week where fasting and throughout the day has been below 100. I don't seem to be so focused on eating...which is a very good thing.

Hope everyone is still muddling along. I miss svenskamae and hope she is ok. I'm afraid all the restrictions she was trying to incorporate may have been too much. And IT SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE THIS HARD

drjlocarb I am sorry the cruise didn't work out and all of the other crud that happened. Hope you have a good birthday even with all of the bad stuff.

Speck333 are you getting ready for summer??

KeyTones how are you doing? Are you still trying to do the potato hack? Did the gum issues clear up...those sores are so painful.

Cathy how are things for you? Have any of the thyroid issues been resolved?

I saw Shelley posting over on one of the exercise threads and she seems to be doing ok and happy with that. Good for her!

I have been sleeping a little better. I'm not a Dr.Oz fan at all but one of my friends mentioned a show where he talked about people with sleep issues. The 2 PhDs that were on recommended some supplements based on how many hours of sleep a person gets. I added lycopene (for people getting 0 to 4 hrs) and selenium (for those getting 4 - 6 hrs). They seem to be helping a little. My energy is a little better and I've been able to do some things at home which were just to darn much with only getting 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. Anyway I am hoping this improved (though not great) sleep will also help with the blood sugar issues.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #1588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mobear

Cruise!! I should be floating in the ocean at this very second!!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #1589
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been losing weight at a good rate. I hate to post here if no one else is losing. Really? I didn't want to jinx myself!

UF seems to have kicked something into gear.

I started the first of the year at 244, lost that magical 5 lbs with induction, and I am down to 225.5 today.

I am 1.5 lbs from a 50 pound loss. Only took 3 years and 4 months! That is an average of 0.31 lbs/week.

At this rate, I will reach goal --6:37pm, Sept 3rd, 2016!

Party at my house and you all are invited. I hear it will be warm and sunny on that date. I will cook steak on the grill and you can bring a LC dish to share!

Last edited by drjlocarb; 05-06-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #1590
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maureen - good to hear from you and that you have found good blood sugar control and at least some help with the sleep issues!

DrJ - Wow, that is a great run! That's about 20 pounds and almost 50!!! Congratulations!!!

I am going slower than you at .28 pounds per week. Ha! Perhaps I will make it by 2016 as well! <sigh> I have wanted to make it before 50 but at this rate... If I make it, I will help bankroll your party!

I can barely stand to eat potatoes. I have been eating up since Wednesday or Thursday and I am FINALLY warm! I woke up this morning with a little bit of sweaty palms - I had almost forgotten what it felt like to even be too hot under the covers! It helps that the weather is warmer, but mostly I am just plain eating enough food. I feel like a human being again. I am eating oysters and eggs and rice. I bought some kefir -

I am looking into trying another weird diet. Richard N at Free the Animal is doing the milk diet. He claims he is not hungry at all on I think two quarts of raw milk a day. Well, one quart of milk and one quart of kefir - or just over it or something. No way I would drink raw milk, but I am fascinated by how he says he feels so good and is not craving anything. I just looked at his week 5 newsletter - I think he finished up there over 15 pounds down and is going off of it now.

I bought some unmodified potato starch - I will add it to milk and see if I have the peaceful night with pleasant dreams. I think it is suppoed to keep the low blood sugar episodes from happening and improves sleep. I heard low blood sugar causes nightmares and adrenalin surges to bring it back up. I am not having night terrors right now, but I do have them sometimes.

Last edited by Key Tones; 05-07-2013 at 12:02 AM..