Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #1501
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I had Thai food for lunch yesterday. Get this. Thursday morning I weighed 164.8. I ate Thai for lunch with a friend... several spring rolls, and some kind of beef curry with about 1 cup of white rice. I weighed in this morning. 164.8. I was seriously expecting to be up in the 166 range. Weird?
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #1502
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
It's funny Speck333 and svenskamae because yesterday I went to Chipotle for lunch. Haven't gone there since before starting the NK experiment because it was just too much protein. Kept thinking about going and yesterday did it! Had a very tasty lunch and doesn't seem like any harm was done (did not weigh). Blood glucose before evening meal was 85 so it didn't impact my numbers.

Last night I did the 70g of redskin potato....fasting blood glucose this morning was 82 Last night was the end of the steroid drops for the inflammation in my eyes so that may have something to do with something, but honestly I don't really know

Key Tones I got the idea for trying potatoes from this thread in the Main Lobby Do you get enough sleep?

I just posted in that thread so it should be back on the first page. Svenskamae post #33 talks about potato and insomnia and then Pirate Jenny goes on about potato and also resistant corn starch. I'm reading some stuff on the board about the RCS, but honestly I'm half Irish and potatoes sound a lot better to me than cornstarch

Also, I have been amazed at how your blood glucose has dropped and stabilized using the potato hack...so that made me want to try them out. Don't really think I could duplicate your potato diet, but so far I am doing ok with the bedtime snack.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #1503
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I'm going to see if I can find a reference to something I once read -- that any low calorie diet causes ketosis, regardless of food composition.
How the heck this happens on all carbs I don't know, but I get the distintive metal mouth at times. I find it easy to skip a meal now as well.
+1 for the metal mouth and the complete absence of appetite on a potato hack as this sums up my current experience (day 7 of a PH).

I'm having some gut problems with the PH but I'm hoping to alleviate those by adding in a rice meal on UDs (JUDDD rotation) which will also help to raise my calorie consumption (I was barely managing to eat 800kcals on an UD).

I've been surprised because I've been avoiding potatoes for years as I thought they were a trigger food for me, and something I would be apprehensive that I would eat to excess. It turns out that I could eat any quantity of potato dressed in butter/mayonnaise or roasted in oil but I have remarkably little enthusiasm for more than 1 or 2 boiled potatoes with condiments.

I've had some ragged days but (for now) the PH seems to have broken my multi-week stall.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #1504
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Welcome, SlowSure. It's good to see another potato hacker and JUDDDer here.

Congratulations on breaking your multi-week stall on the potato hack! And congratulations on hanging in there for 7 days! I abandoned JUDDD rotations when doing just potatoes, since I couldn't eat more than a few hundred calories of cold potatoes per day (1-1.5 pounds worth). I've definitely learned that I'll eat potatoes to excess only in the presence of fat!

My rice/sushi experiment yesterday resulted in my getting super hungry--feed-me-now! type hunger--within a few hours, so I'm going to avoid rice usually in future. Cold plain potatoes have a very different effect--lots of satiety, not much taste satisfaction. I'll be trying a 2 week potato and lemon water hack from April 14-26, but for now I've got too many social obligations and too much travelling, so I'll be doing some combination of low carb and JUDDD until then.

Maureen, I'm happy to hear that your BG spike after the potato bedtime snack may have been just random fluctuation and that you are back to better numbers.

Good news on the stability after eating Thai for lunch, Speck!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #1505
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Speck - LOL, I wonder what the heck that phenomenon is. It happens to me too! I wonder if the body gets something it wants and releases water or something. If it sticks, you will have to go there every week!

Maureen - thank you for the link and explanation. Wow, it is so good to see you getting such good morning readings and some improvement in sleep.

Jaminet wrote about the dry eye phenomenon when going too low in carbs. My contacts were literally sticking to my eyes when I was doing very low carb and low protein very high fat. Maybe the evening potato will help eye moisture? I am curious - please let me know if your dry eye problem improves.

I am leary of recommending diabetics to go on the potato hack, but I have to say that McDougall has a lot of people saying his diet cures diabetes, and he makes the same claim. It could be that the weight loss is the mechanism.

SlowSure - welcome! Good to hear the potato hack is working for you! I am amazed at the results and the weight loss sticking. Isn't it weird but great?

Svenska - sorry to hear about the sushi fail - I should say that when I eat it, I eat a LOT. I go to the places where it travels by on a belt!

All - I dropped another pound! I thought perhaps stuffing myself at the indian food buffet last weekend (ugh it felt like a brick in my stomach - I really ate a ton of rich sauces) was going to get me. I was 2.5 days off, and 4.5 days on. The 4.5 days looked like this - I added more variety this week - cauliflower (1 1/2 bags this week), broccoli (1/2 bag), carrots (1.5 bags), oil-free hummus with tahini (sesame seeds) I made myself (maybe enough to fill 3 containers you see in the store?), and of course, a lot of potatoes. I think the most comfortable days I had were the potato and carrot days.

I did have stomach aches trying to get used to the addition of veg/garbanzo beans. Just potatoes is easier to digest, but I am curious. Anyway, I will reduce the garbanzo beans becaues they were a trigger and I stuffed myself with carrots/hummus and see how it goes this week.

I am off for a big bike ride. THere is sun!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #1506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Very interesting! Do you think eating potatoes takes one out of ketosis? That is a deal breaker for me. I need the ketosis for appetite suppression and a # of other good reasons. Anyone checking blood ketones?
Kathy (and Mobear?), if you are looking to add resistant starch for its butyrate value, you might want to look at adding resistant corn starch 260 to some baked goods. Oopsie?

The RCS 260 is in the same class as the res starch in potatoes without the added carbs.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #1507
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thanks Drjlo, I am not looking to add this kind of thing at this time. I am just very curious as to how and why.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #1508
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Precision Nutrition » All About Resistant Starch

Oh, I thought you were looking for gut-mind benefits. My brain is not so focused right now.

Last edited by drjlocarb; 03-10-2013 at 06:34 AM..
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #1509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Welcome, SlowSure. It's good to see another potato hacker and JUDDDer here. ..

My rice/sushi experiment yesterday resulted in my getting super hungry--feed-me-now! type hunger--within a few hours, so I'm going to avoid rice usually in future. Cold plain potatoes have a very different effect--lots of satiety, not much taste satisfaction....
Thank you for the warm welcome

I'm experimenting with rice because I was previously convinced that potato would be something that I would over-eat and wondered what would happen if I tried rice (something else that I can eat in vast quantities). It will be interesting to see if I can eat lots of plain jasmine rice (which I suspect) or if I discover that I really only over-eat it in the presence of curry, or a risotto, or a rice salad or as part of a rice pudding.

I'm only eating congee (rice gruel) today because whether it's the potato hack or a random bug, I was very unwell during the night and I could do with the calm of something completely bland (like congee).

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytones
SlowSure - welcome! Good to hear the potato hack is working for you! I am amazed at the results and the weight loss sticking. Isn't it weird but great?..

...I will reduce the garbanzo beans becaues they were a trigger and I stuffed myself with carrots/hummus and see how it goes this week.
Likewise thank you for the welcome. I find the potato hack intriguing and I wish that I understood the plausible physiology of it better.

I'm inordinately fond of chickpeas/garbanzos. One of my favourite dishes (aside from hummus) is a chickpea and potato curry, or panisses (chickpea fries).
Old 03-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #1510
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure - I hope you feel better! I haven't had much luck with rice on its own with hunger. I like sushi especially since seaweed is a good antidote to the lack of minerals in potatoes - I forgot to mention I am eating seaweed all week as snacks (various brands).

Have your found the other potato hack threads? I don't think they have posts in recent days. You could click on my avitar and look for other posts by Key Tones to find them.

Drjlowcarb - thank you for posting the link. I like reading about resistant starch now (I am converting into a believer).

Ugh, I promised myself I would start my taxes today, so I have to stop obsessing on diet now and do some work! I could read, watch youtube videos, and post all day about diet, if left to my own devices.

I did bike 20 miles yesterday. I tried a breakfast of potatoes and couldn't petal very well. I had to resort to the raisins again. Potatoes are just plain not a good source of energy. I suspect that is part of the weight loss formula as well.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #1511
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
SlowSure! Nice to meet you Can't say I'm doing the potato hack, but one small cold potato at night seems to be helping stabilize my blood glucose and help me sleep.

Drjlocarb I thought the butyrate info was interesting, but my main concern right now is blood glucose control and sleep!

Svenskamae I'm sorry that your rice sushi lunch left you hungry...that really is a bummer. I am enjoying my one smallish potato at night, but don't know how thrilled I would be eating 1.5#

Key Tones I had dry eyes for about 5 yrs. Just recently they became painfully dry and no amount of liquid tears seemed to help. They do seem a little better now, but I had 2 weeks of 2steroid drops a day and then 2 weeks of 1 drop a day. I have been on Restasis for 1 month so I'm not sure what has caused the improvement. I am not going to try the potato hack. I fooled around with JUDDD for about a week and almost ended up calling 911 when my blood glucose ended up around 40 after a DD. I'll stick with the potato at night, but definitely not the hack.

Cathy are you feeling better? Are you still testing for NK? One more question...what are your 2 darling poochies doing to that bunny???

I have to confess that I didn't have a great weekend. I made fat bombs on Saturday and ate several. Also DH wanted to stay up late (for us late) and I ended up eating because I was so exhausted. Anyway bg Sunday morning was up. Sunday wasn't too bad, but was into late night eating again....I wish I could kick my own butt sometimes.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #1512
Chatty Cathy

Hey Maureen! Thanks for asking after me. I am better. I am still doing N.K. but not really testing. Still adjusting thyroid med so we will see. I did come close to my stall weight (within .5 lb) and stayed there for a few days but ....? This has happened before. I never seem to break through.

My 2 poochies were quite intrigued by the snow bunnies and they were giving them a good inspection! One of my tenants had made them and we were pleasantly surprised by them!!

I too am not doing the potato hack. I am quite interested in it as well though and thanks Drjlo, I appreciate the info and it is stored away for future use perhaps. How are you doing? Are you still testing for ketosis?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 03-11-2013 at 06:40 AM..
Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #1513
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
SlowSure - I hope you feel better! I haven't had much luck with rice on its own with hunger. I like sushi especially since seaweed is a good antidote to the lack of minerals in potatoes - I forgot to mention I am eating seaweed all week as snacks (various brands).
I'm much better thank you; I've mostly recovered from whatever that unpleasantness was. I'm nowhere near as cold this week and substantially less cranky.

I've been dry grilling seaweed and blitzing it down to a powder to use as a condiment on my potatoes and in my congee

For me, eating rice and having it as a gruel are very different experiences - which may be why it didn't trigger an urge to consume a lot more. whether it's that or individual differences which is relevant here.

Quote:
Potatoes are just plain not a good source of energy. I suspect that is part of the weight loss formula as well.
My bike distances have collapsed from 60-70km to 15-20km a session at a really unimpressive speed and cadence. So, I can only agree that although the men who wrote about the potato hack reported no problems in the gym or with their lifts, I wonder if there's a difference with male/female physiology?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #1514
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I'm much better thank you; I've mostly recovered from whatever that unpleasantness was. I'm nowhere near as cold this week and substantially less cranky.

I've been dry grilling seaweed and blitzing it down to a powder to use as a condiment on my potatoes and in my congee

For me, eating rice and having it as a gruel are very different experiences - which may be why it didn't trigger an urge to consume a lot more. whether it's that or individual differences which is relevant here.

My bike distances have collapsed from 60-70km to 15-20km a session at a really unimpressive speed and cadence. So, I can only agree that although the men who wrote about the potato hack reported no problems in the gym or with their lifts, I wonder if there's a difference with male/female physiology?

Ah, yes - I have been scanning the vegan blogs and youtube videos to try to figure this out. Apparently, on low fat vegan diets (which you realize the hack is), they have a problem eating enough calories and therefore end up feeling cold and have a problem with depleted glycogen stores and can't exercise well. The advice is to tank up on calories (which we are trying not to do!) for at least 24 hours beforehand and even more if you're not in shape (which I obviously am not).

I suspect this is what the problem is. No glycogen stores and not enough in the tummy to fuel the ride.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #1515
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, I've been having a hard day. I had a weak moment last night at a special event (basically junk--not even a decent meal, which would have been worth it) and tried to starve myself out today to make up for it and...man, that is just too stupid. I was exhausted and busy at work and ended up punchy at around 3:00 anyway and had to eat something anyway (potatoes of course, LOL). Then I was better.

Not sure why I feel like I have to punish myself. Starving just isn't good for me emotionally - wow, I went down. Back on track now and feeling a bit better.

How is everyone doing?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #1516
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Keytones, I'm so sorry to read that you're in the mire of the blehs and tiredness - well done on your nice bit of self-rescue with the potatoes

I'm rather surprised to find myself at a new low (144.2lbs) which is increasing my confidence that I may well have truly broken the 150lb stall. I won't know until I transition away from the PH and back to JUDDD but only time will tell.

My last stall that pushed me into abandoning my weight loss attempt was in 2011 at 140lbs. I wasn't expecting to be in the mid 140s by the middle of March (mid-140s as the top bounce was my original goal for March). So, I'm now wondering about extending my PH until I'm through the number that is a psychological sticking point for me (140lbs).

To some extent, I've been feeling so rough at times, I can't believe that I'm contemplating extending the period of the PH, but, I also feel that I've been through the adaptive period, I might as well try to take full advantage of it to achieve something solid (if that makes sense).

Best wishes to everyone in 'stalled but determined' territory.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-13-2013 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: missing words
Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #1517
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure-that is great news!

I am getting such good results that I am having to contemplate how to do this without the vegan diet drawbacks catching up with me. I read b12 deficiency can cause irreversible autoimmune disorder. I decided to eat some egg yolks last night after I also mulled over a few other things, like macular degeneration.

I'm a little worried it works so well I might lose sight of the right thing to do for long term health.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #1518
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Hi, everyone. Sorry I've been distracted at work and not checking in.

I felt so deprived on the potato hack that I just did lowcarb, rather than JUDDD, after giving up the hack after 5 days. I'm going to be visiting my sweet and supportive sister, starting tomorrow, and plan to resume JUDDD beginning tomorrow; it's easy to do when staying with my sister.

I'll be in New Orleans from April 10-12, eating lots of fish as my way of staying lowcarb there, probably, though I may have to break down and eat pain perdu (best French toast ever, at the Palace Cafe).

Then I'll be potato hacking from April 14 to 26, trying to do it hardcore with just potatoes, spices and lemon water to drink.

And then 9 days vacationing with a friend in New York City, just doing my best to stay lowcarb.

Anyway, I guess I'll count myself lucky if I can not gain with all that travelling happening this spring. But I would love, love, love to get solidly into the 170s on the potato hack, and I'm gonna be really pissed if I don't lose on an extended potato and lemon water hack for 2 weeks.

Key Tones and SlowSure, I appreciate your posting your experience on the potato hack. I am trying to eat lots of healthy things like greens, salmon, liver, duck eggs, and bone broth when I am NOT eating potatoes, so I hope that plus a multivitamin will see me through the potato times. For what it's worth, I followed a vegan WOE for 9 months, about 6 years ago, and I didn't develop any new health problems (and also didn't lose weight).
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #1519
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am getting such good results that I am having to contemplate how to do this without the vegan diet drawbacks catching up with me...
I'm a little worried it works so well I might lose sight of the right thing to do for long term health.
I share your apprehension about the risk of losing sight of the better approach for the long-term versus the attraction and sheer relief of current loss and other advantages (particularly if weight loss is typically wretchedly slow for someone and seems to yield miserly results for the amount of effort and self-denial that goes into it).

For much of 2011 I was lucky to record a 200-400g drop in a month (< than 1lb) and for months at a time, I stalled. I kept dropping my calorie intake until the point at which it just wasn't feasible to keep reducing it.

I tried the PH (currently on day 13) because I was stalled again and ready for something radically different. I'm yet again at a new low (142.8lbs) and as you know, I've been wondering about extending it to take me safely south of my bogeyman number at which I last stalled.

However, I was very unwell again yesterday which makes it x2 in a week, which is very unusual for me. I don't know if I'm still adapting to the PH or if it's coincidental but despite the weight loss, I know it would be ludicrous to continue with something that is both making me unwell on a regular basis and completely sapping the energy that I need to enjoy my activities (such as kayaking) and follow my training for my upcoming century ride.

I'll review again on Sunday.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #1520
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm going to be visiting my sweet and supportive sister, starting tomorrow, and plan to resume JUDDD beginning tomorrow; it's easy to do when staying with my sister.

I'll be in New Orleans from April 10-12, eating lots of fish as my way of staying lowcarb there,
Your sister sounds a gem and that is a delectable plan for New Orleans albeit you'll miss out on the lagniappes. (Oh yes, look at the UK person showing off a word that she learned last year when a US chum was discussing her trip to New Orleans - and many of those lagniappes seemed to be in the form of delicious pastries. I beg your indulgence because I've never had another occasion to use this charming word.)

I had intended to do a potatoes-only PH but I had to introduce rice and it seems to be working for me. I do seem to have had a few more gut issues with it than people who've been able to stick to potatoes alone.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #1521
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi, everyone. Sorry I've been distracted at work and not checking in.

I felt so deprived on the potato hack that I just did lowcarb, rather than JUDDD, after giving up the hack after 5 days. I'm going to be visiting my sweet and supportive sister, starting tomorrow, and plan to resume JUDDD beginning tomorrow; it's easy to do when staying with my sister.

I'll be in New Orleans from April 10-12, eating lots of fish as my way of staying lowcarb there, probably, though I may have to break down and eat pain perdu (best French toast ever, at the Palace Cafe).

Then I'll be potato hacking from April 14 to 26, trying to do it hardcore with just potatoes, spices and lemon water to drink.

And then 9 days vacationing with a friend in New York City, just doing my best to stay lowcarb.

Anyway, I guess I'll count myself lucky if I can not gain with all that travelling happening this spring. But I would love, love, love to get solidly into the 170s on the potato hack, and I'm gonna be really pissed if I don't lose on an extended potato and lemon water hack for 2 weeks.

Key Tones and SlowSure, I appreciate your posting your experience on the potato hack. I am trying to eat lots of healthy things like greens, salmon, liver, duck eggs, and bone broth when I am NOT eating potatoes, so I hope that plus a multivitamin will see me through the potato times. For what it's worth, I followed a vegan WOE for 9 months, about 6 years ago, and I didn't develop any new health problems (and also didn't lose weight).
Svenska - I am already having a symptom - I have had the cold sore tingle show up yet again, and every time I kick over from the weekend of being off to Monday being back on, I break out in acne in the same two spots. I just read going low lysine is a problem for cold sores and shingles for some vegans. Hard to believe, but I have to wonder if I need lysine already.

I weigh in tomorrow. Unfortunately, TOM, so, who knows how this week will turn out.

I hear you on the deprivation - I feel like it is so easy, and then I see free junk food and crack. I had two rather imperfect days. I think I will have to carry something portable yet legal-ish to keep control around junk food. I am more vunerable than I used to be. I guess it is the deprivation getting to me. I think I will have to carry green bananas (resistant starch anyway). People already probably think I have cracked, so what more harm could green bananas do to my reputation?

Have a good time! New Orleans - that sounds fun!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #1522
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My DH came home from a lengthy business trip yesterday so I departed from the PH for one meal (I timed it to be separated by 6 hours from other PH-friendly food).

I'll monitor and review the PH if I'm ill again but for now I've decided to continue the PH until I'm south of 140lbs (my bogeyman figures from the end of 2011).

I've decided to experiment with incorporating idli (steamed rice dumplings) into my up-day PH (I seem to develop gut problems with potatoes only): idli are fat-free and traditionally served with a little vegetable sambhar or chutney so they should be a good, flexible addition. I'll see how I fare with idli: so far, however, introducing congee (rice porridge) has helped a lot.

I'll be so pleased when I can put the 140lbs figure behind me as the number has an absurd power to make me feel quite dejected.

*Sets chin in resolute manner to express determination to beat a stall challenge*.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #1523
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure - I hope you are able to make the rice dumplings work for you.

I am happy to get on the scale and still see 196 after the weekend. PH start was 213, and I have not been doing it on the weekends. I ate red meat, salmon, eggs - wow, the eggs and 1 link of sausage breakfast felt sooo good. My body was obviously happy to see that! Junk one evening due to a social event.

I am hoping for continued success losing doing this during the week. I have had enough imperfect on days that I do wonder if it just plain works to eat as many potatoes and vegetables as most meals and not worry so much. Hmph.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #1524
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's very useful to know that you've been following a 5:2 pattern for the PH as I've been wondering how I'm going to improve my cycle training without more calories than I manage to eat on the PH.

It took all yesterday for the idli mixture to ferment so I didn't have them until today. The idli are good, very filling. I'll monitor to assess the impact on my blood sugar (although I've no way of measuring it), how I feel, and my gut. It will take a day or so before I know if it's going to interfere with the weight loss.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #1525
Chatty Cathy

Down to 169 this morning..... My stall weight was 172.5 BUT it has been during a time of very high stress. I have stuck to vlc and mod. protein but also a lot of fasting. I am hoping that my thyroid meds are really the cause (in conjunction with diet of course). If the stress ever let's up, I may be able to determine what is what.....
Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #1526
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy - Woooot!!! Good news on the 169!!!

The thyroid meds - this is very encouraging!

Stress is no good. Maybe we need a stall stress chat sub thread.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #1527
Chatty Cathy

Thank you K.T.. I am looking at this weight loss as a silver lining.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #1528
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had another one of those odd scale events. I went out last night and just filled up. I mean, full. Genki sushi - 5 little plates of sushi plus a bowl of beef udon. I thought for SURE I would be up. I didn't even get on the scale this morning afraid I would be over 200. Somehow I didn't bloat up. I got on the scale tonight and it is the same as it was night before last. It is really weird. Naybe this means I'll be down this week when I weigh in on Saturday.

What is that?

Anyway, I read an article about why a lowfat vegan diet works without hunger. It rang true with me - on my potato days I have been eatign vegetables and blueberries with no repercussions. I have taken to blending spinach and blueberries in the vitamix for an evening snack. Sometimes I eat carrots. I am not hungry. Interestingly, there is huge satisfaction that kind of feels like relief when I eat meat eggs on off days, then happily go back to this during the week. I could do this indefinitely. Well, we'll see...

Anyway, what is interesting about it is that it says in the study that it raised metabolism as well as improved insulin sensitivity. Also they noted people could eat as much as they wanted and still lose weight with no hunger. I am becoming a believer.

Weight-Loss Power of a Low-Fat Vegan Diet

Last edited by Key Tones; 03-20-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Old 03-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #1529
Chatty Cathy

the whole thing doesn't make sense to me aside from the gut bacteria aspect. Maybe we all just need a fecal transplant???? It would pretty ironic if this proved true... what a s#!++~ joke that would be....
Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #1530
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
the whole thing doesn't make sense to me aside from the gut bacteria aspect. Maybe we all just need a fecal transplant???? It would pretty ironic if this proved true... what a s#!++~ joke that would be....
Lawks, what a thought, though, sadly, not wholly implausible.

Is it Kahneman's research that adopts a reservoir model of tolerance? Basically, if you're spending a lot of your day making choices/adaptations (say, resisting some food opportunities or substituting something that is immediately less desirable, no matter how sensible in the long term) then your stress level increases and it's more difficult to tolerate the day to day hassles. (Like stalls. )

Kahneman's interesting because although his work is good, few people ever believe that it applies to them or their professional groups/industries. (He moved from decision-making research towards hedonic psychology.)

I'm wondering about when and how to terminate this potato hack. I feel I will continue for as long as I have useful weight loss but I ought to start planning for a transition. I don't know whether to switch to a 5:2 pattern like Key Tones (eating protein etc. at the weekend) and maintain a fat-free, vegan pattern for the other 5 days. Or, somewhat at a right-angle, I don't know if I might transition to a leptin reset to see if I can hack my set-point rather than battle a re-gain at a later date.

Breaking a stall is so seductive. I'm now within 2lbs of my previous stall point - I was to move past that. But when I do (confidence) I need to have a decent plan for maintenance.