Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #1471
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
drjlocarb I'm sorry to hear about stuff...keeping you in my thoughts and sending hugs

Thanks for the info on the cornstarch. I'll go take a look, but will probably stick with potato for right now and see if it continues to work. Its been so long since I ate potatoes that I think boiled, cold ones (salted of course) are really yummy

Cathy I don't know if they kick me out of ketosis since I don't think (by blood test) that I've ever been in NK.

I'm hopeful about this, but don't want to get too excited and then be disappointed.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #1472
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Maureen, so encouraging that your sleep and fasting b.g. Are improved! Hope that continues.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and I am back in good health!

Drjlo.... Sorry to hear that you are struggling with crap but know you are strong and will come out smelling like a rose! Get back to posting soon and thanks for the clarification on the buteryate....
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #1473
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Drjlo, sorry to hear things are not going well in your world.

I'm reading up on what could possibly be the mechanism with the potato hack. I did read that butyrate has mixed results in studies. Melissa McGuywen on Hunt Gather Love has an article called The Human Colon in Evolution: Part 4, The Secrets of Butyrate. She notes that some of the human studies with poor results focused on grains and seeds, which is not what people have historically eaten.

I do think, sometimes, screw the science and just do what works, since there is so much mixed information out there. But I can't help reading and trying to find my way.

Anyway, I think the most interesting thing in this article is that diseases can be treated through the application of butyrate in the colon. I also thought curative butter oil from the Guyenet article about Price was interesting.

I'll just post the first half - tables do not come through

= = = = =

The Human Colon in Evolution: Part 4, The Secrets of Butyrate

Posted Fri, 05/20/2011 - 14:55 by Melissa

Another hypothesis is that lack of SCFAs is behind such diseases of civilization. A SCFA called butyrate provides some insight into this. Butyrate is the preferred fuel of the colonic epithelial cells and also plays a major role in the regulation of cell proliferation and differentiation (Wong, de Souza, Kendall, Emam, & D. J. a Jenkins, 2006). Lower than normal levels have been found in patients with several diseases, notably types of colitis and inflammatory bowel disorder. Studies show such diseases can be treated through application of butyrate in the colon. That and the fact that some studies show complete remission through bacteriotherapy transplants point to these diseases being caused by disturbed populations of gut bacteria. Interestingly, these diseases are common in captive populations of apes and unheard of in wild apes (McKenna et al., 2008).

Bacteria affect butyrate production, but so do dietary inputs. Certain fibers produce more butyrate than others in humans, whether or not this differs between primates would be an interesting avenue of research (Smith, Yokoyama, & German, 1998).

Figure 1: Butyrate production in response to fiber

Interestingly, one of the top producers is something known as “resistant starch.” Resistant starch represents the growing nuance in understanding of fiber, since it is a starch that acts like a fiber in terms of acting as a bacterial substrate. It first showed up on the scientific radar when scientists found that low rates of colon cancer were not just found in populations with high-fiber diets, but those with high-starch diets (O'Keefe, Kidd, Espitalier-Noel, & Owira, 1999)1. Researchers found that a particular starch resisted digestion and ended up being fermented by colonic flora. They called this resistant starch and it is found mostly in cooked starches, some raw starches like green bananas, and some rough unprocessed grains and seeds. The former is termed type III and is a major part of the diets of many foraging populations who consume pounded and cooked starches like cassava, taro, true yam, and sago palm.

Whether or not humans are better adapted to certain types of resistant starch remains unexplored, but could account from some inconsistent results in studies that used type I resistant starch, mostly found in grains and seeds that would have probably been relatively uncommon in our ancestral diet. These studies have shown poor results and others with promising results are marred by high drop out rates due to unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects (Rinne et al., 2005; de Vrese & Marteau, 2007; Vuksan et al., 2007). Whether some populations would do better on this type of starch versus others would be an interesting investigation, but very few cultures consume large amounts of unmilled seeds and grains.

Ugly Christmas sweater competition - this is how I felt in the elevator...
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1474
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just watched this long video of a man that lost over 170 pounds on McDougall's diet. He looks to be an older man and says he was overweight his whole life. He says McDougall says to eat 1/2 vegetables and 1/2 starch to speed up weight loss, rather than focus just on the starch. This seems to go against what the *** potato hack people mentioned--they said adding vegetables created hunger. Hmm. Anyway, I was impressed because the man just dropped weight like crazy focusing on the...potatoes! He said he didn't believe McDougall and bought 10 pounds of potatoes and dropped two pounds right away because he couldn't eat enough of them to maintain his weight. And get this...he is not just normal weight, he is skinny! Seriously.

Anyway, I am intrigued - he mashes potatoes and bakes broccoli in them in a 9 inch pie pan. Wow, that sounds good, except I'm not sure about the ketchup part on top! I think I would skip that. I think he said he put nutritional yeast on there too - a vegan thing for b12. Whatever, I don't need that.

He also makes some sort of potato soup with onion and corn. Sigh. It sounds good. I think I will let down and throw in vegetables.

He also said something about potato pizza - slice potatoes thin, layer on pizza pan, top with pizza sauce and bake. Says you have to get used to no cheese...
Old 03-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #1475
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'm not showing further progress on my potato hack, Key Tones--back to 181 (my high at the start of the potato hack, with regained water, was 183). I've been letting myself eat fat (half and half in tea, some coconut butter or other fat containing food like smoked oysters in olive oil) so long as I keep a 4 hour interval between that and the potatoes. Do you think the 4 hour interval isn't long enough ...?

Going past my 180 or so pound setpoint is like chipping through granite with a spoon. I am pretty tempted to go back to JUDDD rotations with nothing except potatoes and lemon water on down days only and see what happens with that ...

Thanks for continuing to investigate and share what you find, KT.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #1476
Major LCF Poster!

On my way to have lab work done that the new endo ordered, but just have to share this with my stalled but stubborn friends:

Fasting blood glucose at 7 a.m. 80

Had 2 small (35g each) taters last night at bed time....got to be the taters!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #1477
Major LCF Poster!

Woohoo! Congratulations, Maureen. I hope that the lab work goes well.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #1478
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
On my way to have lab work done that the new endo ordered, but just have to share this with my stalled but stubborn friends:

Wow!! How was your sleep?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #1479
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'm not showing further progress on my potato hack, Key Tones--back to 181 (my high at the start of the potato hack, with regained water, was 183). I've been letting myself eat fat (half and half in tea, some coconut butter or other fat containing food like smoked oysters in olive oil) so long as I keep a 4 hour interval between that and the potatoes. Do you think the 4 hour interval isn't long enough ...?

Going past my 180 or so pound setpoint is like chipping through granite with a spoon. I am pretty tempted to go back to JUDDD rotations with nothing except potatoes and lemon water on down days only and see what happens with that ...

Hi Svenska,

I have taken to eating my meat and fat on the weekends at social things and otherwise I am working fairly tight (but imperfect--such as the home made hummus fiasco) potato days. This is probably closer to what the JUDDD ladies are doing and they seem to be having success with it.

There are reports in *** of people losing nothing on the hack then switching back to their typical paleo and the drop shows up then. It could just be the glycogen + water stores. I have read glycogen can weigh up to two pounds and the water that goes with it can be another two to six pounds.

I'm going to add vegetables now. I ate pureed cauliflower last night as well as potatoes and it didn't bump up my appetite. My weight is down this morning. I seriously doubt vegetables are going to screw this up. In fact, I think I read in the Hunt Gather Love blog somewhere that onions are a a really great source for conversion to butyrate. I think if I start making onion potato soup it might even speed up. It is just a matter of chopping up potatoes and onions and throw in some corn (!!!), boil until tender, take some out to puree to make creamy and replace back in. Sounds good! I think I would puree all the onions first (hate onion texture but like the flavor).

I am getting addicted to flavoring my vinegar now. A little cumin and/or chili powder with garlic and a little pure stevia, mix it up, and dip chunks of potato in. Oh my....I suppose this is like making salad dressing without the oil.

I have decided garbanzo beans need to go to the condiment category. I'll just spread a little of my low fat hummus on a potato now for flavor.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #1480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Wow, my GOSH! 80!!!

Wooot!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #1481
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Oh, one more thing I do - once a week I have eaten 3 or 4 egg yolks at breakfast on a potato day. It seems worth it for a nutrient infusion. I have forgotten to do it on the weekend so it seemed important. 6:30 am, then next meal would be 11:00-ish. I don't know if a 4 hour window has an effect or not. There does seem to be a feeling of relief in doing this, but it could just be psychological.

I gather that McDougall thinks there is a dairy addiction that interferes with the diet and appetite suppression. Maybe try no half/half? I have avoided dairy

Last edited by Key Tones; 03-06-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #1482
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Great information everyone.

A while back someone wrote about cold vs. hot potatoes in the way of eating them. I was reading a book on womens weight lifting last night and they had all sorts of tidbits on thing that do and don't work for women with regard to weight and/or FAT losses.

#1....they said that insomnia was a result of too few calories for the body (thought that was interesting). Said it stressed the body which caused a raise in cortisol in women since they have so many hormonal issues through life. That made sense to my brain.

#2 was that the body got more "bang for it's buck" eating cold potatoes vs hot ones. The hot ones passed through the system quickly and then you wanted more food, and cold potatoes kept a woman satisfied longer.

I started their planned eating program for weight lifting for women this morning and am somewhat horrified at what they want me eating...many many calories, oatmeal, grains, nuts, lots of protein, etc. We shall see. 3 days of eating this way caused me to have hot flashes on day #2 and then they went away. Poof/gone. Weight has dropped 1# (which means nothing really), but we'll see if this becomes a new trend for me. Love how the variety of eating is going with all of us...and I"m pushing the envelope with my weight lifting....3 days a week of really heavy lifting. No cardio!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #1483
Major LCF Poster!

Went for my blood draw and don't think I have any blood left in my body. But, if this doctor can help me, it will be worth it.

Last night I ate about 70g of potato and had fasting blood glucose of 80 which is the lowest it has been in several weeks. Tonight I may try slightly more potato, but I'm afraid of overdoing so I'll try 100g which is still less than a medium potato.

I can't really say it has cured my insomnia, but sleep was slightly better. Maybe 2hrs and then woke up and was awake about 1 hr. Drifted back off for a couple of more hours (after trying the living room couch and finally the family room couch). I actually feel somewhat better just from that small improvement.

Svenskamae I am sorry to hear that the potato hack isn't working for you. I have no advice just

Shelley it is interesting to hear that insomnia can be worse with too few calories. The endo told me she thought I should be eating 1350 calories - which is where I usually gain. I don't really know what to think any more!

Key Tones - keep up the good work!!

Cathy, I may try those oopsie things next week!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #1484
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Oh, one more thing I do - once a week I have eaten 3 or 4 egg yolks at breakfast on a potato day. It seems worth it for a nutrient infusion. I have forgotten to do it on the weekend so it seemed important. 6:30 am, then next meal would be 11:00-ish. I don't know if a 4 hour window has an effect or not. There does seem to be a feeling of relief in doing this, but it could just be psychological.

I gather that McDougall thinks there is a dairy addiction that interferes with the diet and appetite suppression. Maybe try no half/half? I have avoided dairy
Thanks, Key Tones, that's very helpful. I am going to switch to doing cold potatoes and lemon water ONLY on my JUDDD down days and eating a variety of nutritious lowcarb food on my JUDDD up days. I seemed to lose better when I wasn't doing any dairy at all, so I guess the 4 hour window isn't enough for me. Today I am having a lovely potatoless day; tomorrow, back to cold boiled potatoes and lemon water. If I only have to face this every other day, it's easier to take, and I don't have the nagging worry that my calories are so low that I'm trashing my metabolism every day.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #1485
Major LCF Poster!

I'm really interested to hear how things continue to go for you on doing the very heavy lifting 3 days a week, Shelley. Sounds like pretty soon you'll be benchpressing your DH! Seriously, though, I am impressed, and will look into something like this at a local specialized gym for myself in April or May (whenever it's not too snowy and icy to walk there 3 days a week)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #1486
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Anthropologist here... I know a thing or thousand about human evolution. Roots and tubers are a regular part of the hunter gatherer diet and therefore probably our ancestors as well. I always assumed it was a really small amount. Mayhaps I've underestimated and root vegetables like potatoes are the missing link here. Maybe parsnips, turnips and ruddabegas would work too.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #1487
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Went for my blood draw and don't think I have any blood left in my body. But, if this doctor can help me, it will be worth it.

Last night I ate about 70g of potato and had fasting blood glucose of 80 which is the lowest it has been in several weeks. Tonight I may try slightly more potato, but I'm afraid of overdoing so I'll try 100g which is still less than a medium potato.

I can't really say it has cured my insomnia, but sleep was slightly better. Maybe 2hrs and then woke up and was awake about 1 hr. Drifted back off for a couple of more hours (after trying the living room couch and finally the family room couch). I actually feel somewhat better just from that small improvement.

Svenskamae I am sorry to hear that the potato hack isn't working for you. I have no advice just

Shelley it is interesting to hear that insomnia can be worse with too few calories. The endo told me she thought I should be eating 1350 calories - which is where I usually gain. I don't really know what to think any more!

Key Tones - keep up the good work!!

Cathy, I may try those oopsie things next week!
Maureen...keep us posted on your blood test results...I've heard of docs that have oodles of vials drawn for tests. Hope you get some answers.

Quote:
Thanks, Key Tones, that's very helpful. I am going to switch to doing cold potatoes and lemon water ONLY on my JUDDD down days and eating a variety of nutritious lowcarb food on my JUDDD up days. I seemed to lose better when I wasn't doing any dairy at all, so I guess the 4 hour window isn't enough for me. Today I am having a lovely potatoless day; tomorrow, back to cold boiled potatoes and lemon water. If I only have to face this every other day, it's easier to take, and I don't have the nagging worry that my calories are so low that I'm trashing my metabolism every day.
Sure hope this eating plan works for you!!! I guess time will tell, but I hope it's good progress.

Quote:
I'm really interested to hear how things continue to go for you on doing the very heavy lifting 3 days a week, Shelley. Sounds like pretty soon you'll be benchpressing your DH! Seriously, though, I am impressed, and will look into something like this at a local specialized gym for myself in April or May (whenever it's not too snowy and icy to walk there 3 days a week)
Ha ha...I can only "bench" about 30# in free weights or 70 on the equipment/machines. I have a long way to go, but lots of room for improvement! By the time you are ready to start at your local gym, I'll have this mastered in the form of a program! Actually, I've been reading lots on weight training....and have been for about 4 years. I really enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Anthropologist here... I know a thing or thousand about human evolution. Roots and tubers are a regular part of the hunter gatherer diet and therefore probably our ancestors as well. I always assumed it was a really small amount. Mayhaps I've underestimated and root vegetables like potatoes are the missing link here. Maybe parsnips, turnips and ruddabegas would work too.
I had my first roasted ruddabega a year ago...have never seen them in the stores, but they had them at a restaurant and I fell in love with them then!

I love the word "Mayhaps" Speck!!!!! It's a keeper!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #1488
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Chris Kresser's post on "Poop: The Cure of the Future?" ties gut dysbios to obesity and weight loss resistence, and suggests "Eat plenty of fermentable fibers (starches like yams, sweet potatoes)" as one step to treat gut dysbiosis. Other Kresser-recommended steps including removing "toxic" foods from one's diet, taking and eating protbiotics, treating any intestinal pathogens (such as parasites, must be tested for), and managing stress.

I didn't know you were an anthropologist, Speck. Cool; some of my favorite college classes were in anthropology, and I dabble in reading some anthropological works for pleasure (mostly books recommended by my niece, who recently graduated from Cornell with a B.A. in anthropology).
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #1489
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wow, Speck - an anthropologist! - that is so cool.

And interesting observation.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #1490
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, I can't help exploring why this potato thing could be working. I watched some youtube videos linked to McDougall. Kind of embarassing. Anyway, plant-based diets apparently lowers estrogen levels. Maybe this is why the fat is finally coming off my lower half. My body type is estrogen dominance

I remember reading Ray Peat a few years ago, and he repeatedly recommended eating a lot of carrots to lower estrogen. I specifically remember him stating it was removing it wiht the action of the fiber in the colon, and I thougnt, no way I'm doing that and blew it off.

I'm starting to be a believer.

Not in vegan diets, I just mean the starchy vegetables.

Some of the vegans look rather anemic and too skinny. They don't look healthy, and I know they end up with cavities, gum disease, hair falling out, and vitamin/mineral deficiences. Clearly they have gone off into the ditch. I'm just finding more about the potato/starchy vegetables from their angle--the ones that don't believe in processed carbs anyway.

I am also starting to realize why vegetables might make you more hungry on the potato hack. They fill up your stomach and it gets uncomfortable to get enough to eat! I ate broccoli and carrots tonight and some potatoes in broth and I had put some aside to eat a couple of hours later even though I wasn;t satisfied. So, I guess that is what the *** potato hack people meant about vegetables causing hunger problems.

Last edited by Key Tones; 03-06-2013 at 11:38 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #1491
Major LCF Poster!

Ooops! A little disappointed this morning . I had 100g of potato last night with salt and chipotle seasoning. Fasting blood glucose at 5a.m. was 134 . Was it too much potato or perhaps the chipotle which never bothered me before?? Don't know, kind of sad.

Tonight I'm going back to 70g or so and see what happens. Anyway sleep was about the same on higher and lower amounts of potato. About an hour to get to sleep, then woke up 2 hrs later and was up about an hour. Finally around 12:30 a.m. went back to sleep until 2:30. This still seems better overall than my usual pattern. Got to go get more potatoes today!

I'm still holding to protein about 55g. Trying not to put so much pressure on myself to keep it below 50g.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #1492
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
My youngest is in his 3rd year. I love having discussions with him on anthropology!!

So if our ancestors were eating tubers and meat, I would think it would be a case of 'either or'. When there was meat, they would eat that and when there was not, the tubers would fill the gap..... no?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #1493
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maureen - wow, what a wild swing up! Sorry to hear. 30 grams difference, good grief!

I'm not sure I've seen any difference from seasoning - mine goes up from having a mixed meal or from fasting. I don't know why eating other food with the potato matters!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #1494
Blabbermouth!!!

Shelley, haha, yes, I love playing with words, too.

I love seeing there's so much interest in anthropology. People tend to think it's arcane or only applies to "other" people, but it's about us, all people, and truly applicable to our everyday lives.

Cathy, now that's a thought. Of course, it would depend of what resources are available. There are some groups of humans, mostly in the documented past, who have almost no vegetation, mostly Arctic Circle types, like the Inuit, Sami, Chukchi. In less extreme environments hunter-gatherer calories are protein and fat heavy, but there's also a great deal of vegetation (and by vegetation, I mean anything that grows in or out of the ground). Depending on what's available in a climatic zone, one group might have more plant than animal or more animal than plant. Usually the diet is fairly balanced over a week, month or even season. Seasonality would also have a big role in what's available. It gets pretty complicated actually. Can't really answer your question except to say, that your statement would be true for some people in some places sometimes. lol
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #1495
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Ooops! A little disappointed this morning . I had 100g of potato last night with salt and chipotle seasoning. Fasting blood glucose at 5a.m. was 134 . Was it too much potato or perhaps the chipotle which never bothered me before?? Don't know, kind of sad.

Tonight I'm going back to 70g or so and see what happens. Anyway sleep was about the same on higher and lower amounts of potato. About an hour to get to sleep, then woke up 2 hrs later and was up about an hour. Finally around 12:30 a.m. went back to sleep until 2:30. This still seems better overall than my usual pattern. Got to go get more potatoes today!

I'm still holding to protein about 55g. Trying not to put so much pressure on myself to keep it below 50g.
Bummer Maureen. I was having really high hopes for you on this. Maybe this is just a fluke!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #1496
Major LCF Poster!

Things went a little better this morning....fasting bg was 89. I had 70g of potato last night and had to laugh at the look on dh face when he saw me weighing a cold nekkid potato at bedtime . Sleep is still better if not normal. Again, I got about 2hrs, interrupted for about an hour, and then about 2hrs. This is still way better than without potato, so who knows.

The big swing up yesterday was so typical of my diabetes and has driven me bonkers for 30 years. No doctor has been able to stabilize or stop these crazy readings. I mean, if I ate a large piece of fruit or sugary dessert, or regular soda or even a huge piece of prime rib or high starch veggie I could understand the big differences from day to day. Thing is I don't do those things any longer. I've changed to a different insulin which was supposed to stop this - and it doesn't. So, it seemed like the 100g of potato caused the high fasting number, but really, it could have nothing to do with it.

I did buy more little redskins and am planning on sticking with 70g to see if it continues to help with my sleep.

I haven't weighed myself since the endo visit and am staying off the scale until next week. The last few weeks on really high fat were just awful. I was so incredibly hungry and thought constantly about eating - almost like those old high carb days. What I am doing now is till about 100g fat a day, but I am feeling better and not nearly so hungry. Hope maybe the scale will stabilize.

Hope you are feeling better Cathy. Drjlocarb it seems from the NK thread the scale is moving down (even if for the wrong reason) and I hope things are a little better. Speck333 it is so nice to see you and I am anxiously awaiting St. Pat's day to cook my corned beef and make the casserole.

Shelley I am very happy that you are back to the heavy lifting which you enjoy. Key Tones so glad your potato hack is working and you are doing so well. Svenskamae I am sad that you are still struggling. With all the time and effort something good should be happening for you.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #1497
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad you had improved results for BG this morning, Maureen. And I'm glad that you are sleeping a bit better, too. It sounds very frustrating to have these inexplicable swings in BG, but I guess this means that you have to do your own N = 1 experiments with multiple observations, since a given change may be just a random fluctuation. Being hungry all the time is definitely not sustainable, so I'm glad you are in a better place with that now.

I just ate sushi for lunch--my first rice in 14 months. I am going out of town soon, so I didn't want to stock up on a lot of food at home, and have been working extra hours and avoiding walking to the food coop over icy sidewalks, so I found myself without food other than boiled potatoes to bring to work. I had to have coffee with a visiting job candidate, and couldn't face it without some half-and-half in the cofee, so the potato hack wouldn't have been fatfree, and I'm not eating potatoes unless they have some possible weightloss payoff.

I guess eating potatoes without disastrous consequences makes me a bit more willing to try a "safe starch" (in paleo- and perfect health diet terms) every once in a while. I was prowling around the food store near my workplace, and the sushi seemed like the most "real food" item I could find, along with some hard-boiled eggs; everything else was a "food product" made of corn/wheat/chemicals that I am trying to stay away from. Anyway, the sushi (shrimp and salmon on rice) was a pleasant change, and I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I'm making lamb meatballs and spinach salad for friends coming to my house to dinner tonight, before we go to a concert.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #1498
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maureen - I am sure your dh is wondering what is going on with you - that is too funny! What is the source of info about the potatoes helping with sleep? I have a friend that can't sleep and hits the wall with the limit on sleeping pills each month with insurance.

Svenkska - I had my best weeks when I ate off plan at Japanese or Pho restaurants. I think the indian food is probably too heavy - I will have to pile my plate iwth rice to keep from overdoing it. Good strategy on the sushi-really.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #1499
Blabbermouth!!!

I had Thai food for lunch yesterday. Get this. Thursday morning I weighed 164.8. I ate Thai for lunch with a friend... several spring rolls, and some kind of beef curry with about 1 cup of white rice. I weighed in this morning. 164.8. I was seriously expecting to be up in the 166 range. Weird?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #1500
Major LCF Poster!

It's funny Speck333 and svenskamae because yesterday I went to Chipotle for lunch. Haven't gone there since before starting the NK experiment because it was just too much protein. Kept thinking about going and yesterday did it! Had a very tasty lunch and doesn't seem like any harm was done (did not weigh). Blood glucose before evening meal was 85 so it didn't impact my numbers.

Last night I did the 70g of redskin potato....fasting blood glucose this morning was 82 Last night was the end of the steroid drops for the inflammation in my eyes so that may have something to do with something, but honestly I don't really know

Key Tones I got the idea for trying potatoes from this thread in the Main Lobby Do you get enough sleep?

I just posted in that thread so it should be back on the first page. Svenskamae post #33 talks about potato and insomnia and then Pirate Jenny goes on about potato and also resistant corn starch. I'm reading some stuff on the board about the RCS, but honestly I'm half Irish and potatoes sound a lot better to me than cornstarch

Also, I have been amazed at how your blood glucose has dropped and stabilized using the potato hack...so that made me want to try them out. Don't really think I could duplicate your potato diet, but so far I am doing ok with the bedtime snack.