Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #121
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Wow, berberine looks pretty amazing. My favorite vitamin supplier carries berberine in 400 mg capsules. They say to take one or two of them per day.

I was doing a lot of reading on Kruse's site last night. He's got this angle with cold temperatures I'm trying to figure out. He calls it cold thermogenesis, or CT for short. Reading him can be draining, so I'm not too far into the idea, but from what I've gathered he thinks that being cold is helpful, even essential to some, to lose weight and re-set hormonal balance and is the third leg of the stool, as it were, to his hypothesis. His other legs are HCG (yes, the same HCG we hear about around here, but it's not necessary to take it internally, it's about activating it naturally) and calorie restriction. Anyway, I couldn't take it anymore last night and I don't know what it all means yet. The cold part might explain why I lost weight more successfully back in 2000 when I lived in a cold climate. Or, just that my hormones and metabolism are all screwed up now. lol

I am not a breakfast eater, either. Getting 50 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking would be a big change for me. I can't do the protein powder shakes. I did for several months, and felt worse and worse, then realized I was one of the people who has an insulin reaction to them.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naeemah74
Stats: 167/152/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 3, 2012
I'm still here and... I believe I have stalled After my initial whopping 15 pound loss in April I have been back and forth between 152 and 155 the last few days of April and so far all of May; 17 days.

I started mainly strength training every day in May so I wasn't expecting April's numbers as far as loss because I did all cardio in April; "muscle weighs more than fat" and all that jazz. I haven't been training the same muscles everyday, but like arms and abs one day, then quads and hamstrings the next, etc; I'm just doing some kind of strength every day. I'm still doing cardio like 3 times a week between 15-30 minutes for my 'heart's sake'

I was hoping to get into the 140's before I left for NY on the 17th, but alas...

Another member said my body may take a minute to adjust to the quick 15 pound loss before it gives up any more weight, and to keep doing what I'm doing and it will start giving it up again once it gets used to this woe.

If I don't get down to 150 or into the 140's by the end of May I will consider myself stalled for sure because that will be 6 weeks without getting lower than 152.

I found out I've been eating too much protein (a common mistake on low carb) and should add more fats. I didn't know protein could turn into sugar if you eat too much. Still trying to figure out why fat doesn't turn into sugar if protein can. Anyway, this week I loaded up on avocados, sour cream, cream cheese, and pecans to take my fat up a notch and lower my protein. I'm hoping fat works the same way that water works with your body: the more you put in, the more it releases. Hopefully that will get my fat stores emptying.
Naeemah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #123
Blabbermouth!!!

Good luck with all that Naeemah! At least you have a plan, which is good. I can't remember the biochemistry behind the protein and fat utilization and storage in the body and so forth, though I know I've heard and read it more than once. Fat just doesn't
You may be at a resting point, that does happen a lot. Also, you may want to give yourself a rest from heavy lifting at least a couple days a week. Chronic, intensive exercise is known to raise cortisol levels, which inhibit fat loss, and may also lead to other stress induced nastiness.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
ABOUT KETONES-BIOCHEM 101

Here is the biochemistry!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the Chem. lesson. Kinda lost me, but I'm hoping it means "low carb good".

I read that you only have to worry about cortisol rising if you workout an hour or more at a time. If you have something that says different please post me the link. This weight loss stuff is just really more complicated than it should be.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #126
Blabbermouth!!!

You know, it is way too complicated! That's why some of us are stalled! No, though, I don't have any definitive details on the cortisol. I just got the impression from you that you were working out pretty hard. Daily movement is good of course, just don't want to stress yourself out.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Just checking in . I was on an extended road trip yesterday and never did take my evening bp/diuretic....cause it would have kept me up all night. Guess I could blame my "bounce" on that...but hey this is just normal now I weighed this morning and I'm up 2lbs from last week but I expected it because that is what's happening.

I'm consoling myself over the stall by admiring my lower blood sugar . Think I might be able to decrease my mealtime insulin by 1 more unit which is a small triumph for me.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: deMuralist
Stats: 289.8/270/160
WOE: JUDDD with EMF
Start Date: October 2012
Well, at the beginning of the month I had started back down the scale and thought I might have broken the stall, but then, yesterday and today it is going back up.

My fitbit came in on Tuesday and I am using it to learn about my sleep and general activity level. Then starting on Sunday I plan to get back on the treadmill. Till then I am just trying to keep my head above water.

We are also expecting a beautiful weekend, weather wise, so it will be yard work for me on Sunday and Monday. very excited about that!
deMuralist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

p.s. the reason I started to study other versions of Leptin Reset is exactly because Dr. K is so much work to read. Not just the jargon, but the grammar. He seriously needs an editor. Also, as I was going through his site, there appeared to be contradictions. They may not have actually been contradictions, it could have just been I didn't understand him. But very frustrating. so I took the common info from the various sources and went with it.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #130
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Mobear - lower b.g. is something to be celebrated! Congrats and kutgw!!!

deMuralist, what is a fitbit?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #131
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist View Post
p.s. the reason I started to study other versions of Leptin Reset is exactly because Dr. K is so much work to read. Not just the jargon, but the grammar. He seriously needs an editor. Also, as I was going through his site, there appeared to be contradictions. They may not have actually been contradictions, it could have just been I didn't understand him. But very frustrating. so I took the common info from the various sources and went with it.
Common complaint with him!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!

Mobear, that's great about the lower blood glucose!

Yah, I'm going to have to try really, really hard to get through Kruse.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Good Luck with Kruse, just in case you don't make it through...

Wellness Resources - About the Leptin Diet - Live the Leptin Lifestyle!

and his rules in a nutshell (although minus the reason for doing it)

To start - do this for 6-8 weeks:

Eat paleo/primal as per Robb Wolf or Mark Sisson
~50g protein within 30 minutes of waking (if hunger/cravings during the day persist add more protein here)
No snacking
4-5 hours betweens meals (3 meals/day - can drop to 2 if you are not hungry)
No snacking
No heavy exercise (walking is fine)
Did I mention no snacking?
50g carb limit (25g limit for those with a lot of weight to lose)

Determine whether you have reset your leptin according to his guidelines.

After reset you can:
1. Relax the 30 minute breakfast rule (still eat protein - the timing can relax)
2. Continue eating paleo/primal
3. Eat low carb if you want to lose weight (or add some to compensate for exercise)
4. No snacking between meals
5. Skip meals or IF if you are not hungry
6. Start exercising (HIIT/heavy weights)

He has more info on supps and various testing that might be useful for people with specific issues, but that's basically it.

He strongly encourages liberal use of coconut oil and green tea.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

DH and I are going to be doing some visiting this weekend and I won't be online at all. I'll really miss all of you and wish you a happy mother's day and good weekend.

See you all on Monday afternoon
Old 05-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #135
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
DH and I are going to be doing some visiting this weekend and I won't be online at all. I'll really miss all of you and wish you a happy mother's day and good weekend.

See you all on Monday afternoon
Have a great weekend Maureen!! I look forward to your return!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I need help getting back on track. You all understand.

Let me have it!!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #137
Chatty Cathy

HOn, your mitochondria are shouting out for a break!!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I need help getting back on track. You all understand.

Let me have it!!
There is no butt-kicking smiley But do you really need that? I think you're probably pretty good at kicking your own butt. What was the last successful thing you did last time you got yourself back on track? What was your strategy? Try that again. For me, I just have to decide that the next thing I'm going to put into my mouth is going to be on plan. And then the next thing and the next thing until I'm back in the groove. The hardest part is getting the "screw it" thinking out of my head. It helps to focus on the positives of eating on plan. Not feeling over full, or bloated and gassy and tired and disgusted with myself. To remember how much better I feel when I'm not eating carbage. And to know how much healthier it is to eat on plan vs. off and so forth.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I AM FAILING!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I. HAD A BIRTHDAY, AND I NEED HELP.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I. HAD A BIRTHDAY, AND I NEED HELP.
Plan out what you are going to eat for the day and make sure it's all delicious AND on plan. That way you'll look forward to getting back in the grove and out of the carbs. Good luck and get it done! *boot to your butt*
Old 05-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #142
Chatty Cathy

Ok, here is a question for you. What would you tell anyone of us in your situation?

Now take your own advice! It has to come from you and I know you can do it. Birthday is over - now back to reality!!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #143
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Question ??

Do you weigh less this birthday than last ???

Then, STAY on track girlie !!!

You can do this
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #144
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
Question ??

Do you weigh less this birthday than last ???

Then, STAY on track girlie !!!

You can do this
Actually in my case this question would have to be 'do you weigh less than your birthday 2 years ago? And I believe that is the same for DrJ. But here is one - do you want to weigh more next year than you do now? Probably not - so get back on the wagon girl!! Us 'loser-challenged' peeps have to stick together!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #145
Chatty Cathy

Hey there Drj, how are you doing today?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Drj I certainly hope you've read the advice. I definitely think we need a butt kicking icon! I think Cathy said it best for me "Do you want to weigh more next birthday than you do now?" That is the thought that drives me and keeps me going. I just CANNOT go back up and I MUST keep on this woe.

I hope you are feeling better and regaining control. Plse keep posting.

My trip was ok. DH was a royal pain on Friday and then seemed to regain his self control and return to his more normal self. Meals were rather haphazard and I did overeat protein....but not carbs. My one indulgence on Sunday was a very small piece of very thin crust pizza. I savored it and avoided all the other carbs at the meal.

Unfortunately, as much as I don't want to deal with it, overeating does appear to affect my blood sugar . Right now blood sugar isn't high (95 - 100), but it was better before the trip.

Hope everyone is doing ok...including Drj!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone . I'm happy to report that my excellent record of maintaining has held up through another week

Our weather here in northern Ohio has been very strange. We had a frost warning last night and tomorrow is supposed to be 80 I really need to start working in the yard on trimming bushes and planting flowers (but the frost warning is slowing that down).

After my weekend of eating too much protein and not enough carbs, I need to get back to 30g (total) carbs and around 72g of protein. I used a new calculator that Jenny Ruhl has on her website and plugged in a 1 pound a week (OH I Wish) weight loss goal and came up with about the same grams I had established a few weeks ago.

I'm going to a wedding in about 6 weeks and just realized I will have to buy something new to wear. Last fall I bought some casual wear because nothing really fit with my 42 pound weight loss. I didn't really buy anything I can wear to this upcoming wedding...and just realized I really need to find something.

Drjlocarb I really hope you are coming to grips with your birthday celebrating and getting back on track. What has gone down must not go up!!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
There's no where else for me to do this:

WHAAAAA!!! I'm SO f****** stalled!! *^*%^$%#@#!!!

God this sucks. I've been walking the straight and narrow for SO long and NOTHING. I'm going to make an appointment with an endocrinologist. SOMETHING has to be wrong that this is happening, never mind my constant fatigue problems. I'm so sick of this. It's not FAIR!! Whine, whine, whine. It's enough to make me just give up...except then my joints would hurt.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

I know Domino, it is very frustrating . The thing is, IMO, there are a lot of people who LC and never reach goal. No amount of tweaking, adjusting, and jiggling helps them take off the rest of the weight. I fear that is where I am .

I think going very LC for a while last fall probably slowed my thyroid down (at least the conversion of T4 to fT3. I have upped my carbs to 30 total a day to try to fix my thyroid, but I still haven't lost any weight. I don't feel quite as exhausted, so at least that is something.

If you do go to an endo be sure and read the forum on thyroid and what tests to ask for at your appointment. Simply doing a TSH doesn't really tell them much of anything.

Feel free to come and whine....it helps to vent the frustration.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
There's no where else for me to do this:

WHAAAAA!!! I'm SO f****** stalled!! *^*%^$%#@#!!!

God this sucks. I've been walking the straight and narrow for SO long and NOTHING. I'm going to make an appointment with an endocrinologist. SOMETHING has to be wrong that this is happening, never mind my constant fatigue problems. I'm so sick of this. It's not FAIR!! Whine, whine, whine. It's enough to make me just give up...except then my joints would hurt.
I know. It's not fair. It's not freakin' fair at all.
Fatigue problems? Yah, something's not right. I think you're on the right track going to a doctor.