Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #1381
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My sister sent me this link and we both thought it interesting..... May not be too painful to try it out. I have a tread mill that may work and would keep me out of the public eye!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #1382
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I am thinking about trying high intensity interval training for short periods on my elliptical machine. Thanks for sharing the article, Cathy, and let us know how it goes for you. I had stopped exercise other than walking because I wasn't losing, but I'm not losing without exercise either, so I might as well do it and get more fit and healthy while stalled.

I finally got my supply of potatoes (regular and heirloom fingerlings), malt vinegar (already have the rice vinegar on hand), some Himalyan pink sea salt (for fancying up the boiled potatoes), and a lot of meyer lemons for lemon water. I'll be boiling potatoes tonight for consumption starting tomorrow; today, it's another fluids down day for me (mostly tea with half and half and my remaining bone broth).

I am going to eat what I want on Saturday, since that is my actual birthday date. No activities planned, beyond NOT going in to work, and what I am longing for is chicken livers and spinach salad, far more than birthday cake, so I'll be having a healthy food day on Saturday, and then back to potatoes (asssuming that my blood glucose doesn't respond badly to the potato hack on Friday).

I got the word today that the closing on my mother's for-sale house will be happening on Tuesday, thank goodness, since I've been waiting for that for almost a year and paying for utilities, snow plowing, insurance, etc. on the empty house in the interim. My sister said the sale is a birthday present for me from the spirit of our wonderful mother, who died a year ago.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #1383
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Thank you for the link, Cathy.

yes exercise helps with insulin resistance. I put this in my auto signature so I would not forget this because it seems to be fashionable to claim exercise does not cause weight loss.

If anyone has insulin resistance, exercise will help! It is not the calories burned that matter. It is hormonal! Wash, rinse, repeat
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #1384
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Svenska - I still have not tried the malt vinegar, but I was at a friend's house last night and had some of his rice vinegar on my potato. Wow, I really liked that! I'm going to get some rice vinegar.
I love rice vinegar and tarragon vinegar. coconut vinegar is expensive and doesn't taste any different to me. glad you discovered the rice...next is to try the tarragon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
My sister sent me this link and we both thought it interesting..... May not be too painful to try it out. I have a tread mill that may work and would keep me out of the public eye!!
HIIT (high intensity interval training) has been around a long time and it's a good one to get the heart rate up, work the body, and not do a long cardio routine class. There are several styles...one is "Body for Life" (old book) and the other is Al Sears (doc from FL) who wrote PACE. I've done them both and much prefer them for how I exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I am thinking about trying high intensity interval training for short periods on my elliptical machine.

I finally got my supply of potatoes (regular and heirloom fingerlings), malt vinegar (already have the rice vinegar on hand), some Himalyan pink sea salt (for fancying up the boiled potatoes), and a lot of meyer lemons for lemon water. I'll be boiling potatoes tonight for consumption starting tomorrow; today, it's another fluids down day for me (mostly tea with half and half and my remaining bone broth).

I am going to eat what I want on Saturday, since that is my actual birthday date. No activities planned, beyond NOT going in to work, and what I am longing for is chicken livers and spinach salad, far more than birthday cake, so I'll be having a healthy food day on Saturday, and then back to potatoes (asssuming that my blood glucose doesn't respond badly to the potato hack on Friday).

I got the word today that the closing on my mother's for-sale house will be happening on Tuesday, thank goodness, since I've been waiting for that for almost a year and paying for utilities, snow plowing, insurance, etc. on the empty house in the interim. My sister said the sale is a birthday present for me from the spirit of our wonderful mother, who died a year ago.
That's how I do it...on my elliptical. Easy to raise resistance and lower it, and raise the elevation and then lower it. Body for life has you started low and increasing intensity/resistance/incline every minute and then dropping back down after say 5 minutes of constantly pushing. The PACE style is one minute of full out whatever you are doing...walking, elliptical, bike riding, running, and then keeping on moving, but slowly to let the body/heart rate come back down...for say 2 minutes. So one minute hard and 2 minutes easy. As you keep going, you go longer for "hard" and take shorter recovery sessions. Both styles work and both are very different from one another. Just walking is not going to get the heart racing.....but I don't think either is going to make you lose weight...it just makes the heart and lungs work, which is very important.

Oooh.....rice vinegar and himalayan pink sea salt. what a great combo!!!!

Spinach salad sounds wonderful, but you can keep the liver. You need to read the book I just finished as it was great..."The Dirty Life" by Kristin Kimball. Very eye opening and they eat animal parts like liver/heart and describe how they cook things...>I skimmed over the parts where they would "butcher" the animals....not something I needed to know. But a wonderful book and gives me a wonderful attitude now when the farmers markets open in April....a whole different attitude on those wonderful people who do organic gardening and such!

Congratulations on the birthday on Saturday!!!! And double hooray for the sale going through on your house. So sorry to hear about your mom. We have a few of us here with losses recently...I think a year or two is recent per the emotions!!!!

Wish we could all celebrate with you....we could give you our liver portions and you'd have lots!!!!

Keep us posted on your little potatoes!!!!! I just laugh every time I think of KT and her potatoes, and now I'll be thinking of you too svenskamae!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #1385
Senior LCF Member

Hi...reporting in. My gal that I used to work out with 3 years ago called last night. We are starting again at the gym on Tues/Thursday with a class called "Stay Strong". It's for older folks to begin to work on getting in shape. It's a fun class that starts on one of those huge balls...sitting and bouncing, making figure 8's and the weights are 1-5# and you pick what you want...or no weights. After 20 minutes on the ball we stand and do very simple things with the hand weights.....standing against the wall and "sitting in a pretend chair" for 15 seconds...stuff like that. And it's HARD when you start. So, I'm excited about going back to doing "something".

We went out for pizza last night to the local place that is like no pizza joint anywhere. The special we like is about 3" high....has canadian bacon, artichoke hearts, olives, onions, mushrooms, pesto, tomatoes and hardly any cheese. It's easy to slide off teh crust so you just get all the delicious flavors. We order a small (DH and me) and it's the size of a dinner plate...cut into 8 small pieces. I can barely eat 2. DH had 4 and we brought 2 home. This is the smallest size!!!! But talk about delicious!!!! No potatoes! ha ha
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #1386
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Shelley. Your "Stay Strong" class sounds like fun. I want to go back to working out to exercise DVDs starting this weekend. Most of the ones I like have elderly people following along, with not too much bouncing around or floor work; I guess since I'm over 55, I'm technically am in the target audience for those DVDs, and I just can't relate to DVDs starring only women in their 20s with 6 percent body fat. The Jane Fonda Prime Time workouts and the Craig Marcacci "Easy Does It!" ones are my favorite DVDs, so far. And I'll try the high intensity interval workouts on my elliptical machine for a while, too.

"The Dirty Life" sounds like something I'd enjoy, and I've moved it to the top of my queue for Booksfree (books on CD for rental, works like Netflix except for audio books). I grew up in the country on land that had been part of my maternal grandparents' dairy farm, and picked and helped can loads of vegetables from a big vegetable garden; I also spent a couple of years living on a farm in Michigan with a mathematician/soybean farmer, and I have personal experience of lugging rocks out of fields and doing the work in a quarter acre vegetable garden and putting the food by. So I'm sure that I can relate to quite a lot of that book.

A couple of terms for liver and other "offal" style meats that I like are "odd bits" and "pluck." I'm very fond of liver, tongue, and marrow, and I'm planning to try cooking some other "odd bits" such as heart and kidneys and sweetbreads. But first--on to potatoes! I'm going to start the potato hack on Sunday, in case I start feeling bad from the insulin rush and need to lie down. Fingers crossed that it works for me like it has been working for Key Tones!

I'm such an information junky that I've gotten a bunch of new books on reducing inflammation through diet, another book called "The Cortisol Connection," and a third called "Hormonal Balance" by Scott Isaacs. I'll let you all know if I learn anything that might be useful; I think a lot of the advice will be for doing things we already do (like cut the sugar, grains, and junk food).
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #1387
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Hello everyone!
it sounds like there are varying levels of personal success going on around here. Hugs all around. I have taken on multiple work projects this semester that eat up all my time, which is why I haven't been posting. I read on my phone when I can, but it's so much harder to post from it, so I don't usually.

KT, Shelley and Mobear (sorry if I missed anyone), thanks for the encouragement. I actually to quite like running, but it is somewhat punishing, and I think I like that, too I'm messed up But I never felts so good as when I was doing the Couch to 5K program in 2010. I am doing it again.
Mobear, I love corned beef! I hope I have leftovers to make that casserole, too. My DH hates it.

In general, I am doing OK. I make small bad decisions here and there. Spur of the moment, just find myself finishing my kids' lunch, or eating popcorn. It's mindless, really. I just find myself doing it, and then think, "Stop! What are you doing?!". So far, this hasn't caused me to gain weight, and I am still hovering between 163-165 most days. I think it is "stress eating".
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #1388
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Speck - I am looking forward to hearing about your couch to 5K!!!

Eh, don't fret the snacking here and there. I went through a long spell where I had to have a bite of the goodies in the office. I would just cut off a piece and walk away. It didn't hurt my weight loss ***when I was exercising. *** It helped me psycholgically to not feel deprived. I find that after one or two bites you don't really taste it anymore and you are just eating. I tell myself that then walk away after a bite or two, and will eat my **healthy** food later.

A good friend in my office is on a weight loss kick. She is doing it by just cutting back - yep, she is eating the horrid standard american diet, and exercising a lot. Her thing is hiking. She is hiking Tiger Mountain twice this weekend. During the week she goes to the gym. She has dropped 30 pounds since beginning of December. She is my height and now 8 pounds less than I weigh. I want to be able to hike with her someday. Although we are similar in weight and same height, she is an athlete and I am poor physical specimen. Maybe someday.

No, wait, she is 7 pounds lighter - I dropped another pound. So, three days off for Valentine's Day, back on for 5 days, dropped the few pounds I gained plus one more. 198!

I wonder if I am doing JUDDD informally or something? I don't know anything about it, though. I ate out with my daughter last night (sushi and udon, not horrid but I did fill up), and have a dinner concert tonight and will be eating the dinner (lamb curry over rice). I am doing my best to stick to no wheat, sugar, dairy, or industrial seed oils. So, I think I am off two days again this week. I wonder if I will make progress again by Friday.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-23-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #1389
Chatty Cathy

HIIT (high intensity interval training) has been around a long time and it's a good one to get the heart rate up, work the body, and not do a long cardio routine class. There are several styles...one is "Body for Life" (old book) and the other is Al Sears (doc from FL) who wrote PACE. I've done them both and much prefer them for how I exercise.

Of course HIIT is not new and although that is what this article is about the salient point is the 3 minutes per week. The short duration (1 minute, 3 x per wk.) is what was new (to me).

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #1390
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Laughing at your picture, Cathy. I saw a commercial for some chicken brand, and the CEO guy was all "our chickens are 100% vegetarian, blah, blah, blah" and I'm like, "they should be eating worms and bugs!!". Stupid people.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #1391
Chatty Cathy

It was stunning to me. I guess the average consumer doesn't distinguish between grass fed and grain fed. Pretty sad.... Ya and who wants vegetarian chicken or their eggs for that matter. I see the 'vegetarian claim' on eggs all the time. Part of it is always soy - probably GMO. Ahh, but I could go on and on about the food supply and what people seem to think......
Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #1392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy - I love that it takes so little to get results! I will put these books into my que!!!

All - update on my daughter. I cannot believe this....she is only half-way doing the potato hack, and she is down....12 pounds! I had been giving her potatoes to take to school, and pretty much she brought them back uneaten. So, I next I tried baking them for her...she ate more that week, but still many came back uneaten. Then, I baked some in a crock pot, and yes, she did eat even more of these, but some came back uneaten again. Finally, I tried mashing for her. She ate them all, even though they were made with no butter or milk, just salt and chicken broth.

So, instead of eating chicken salad for lunch (caesar salad no crutons), she has been going to the indian food place on campus and eating rice dishes (I told her rice is a secondary choice when no potatoes are around, and there never are any except for french fries on campus). She has been eating potatoes for dinner.

She was 242, now she is 230, and that was after morning coffee. She didn't weigh until I insisted because i can tell she dropped weight this week. She dropped 5 pounds this week. She admitted she even ate a box of girl scout tag-a-longs this week. Oh, to be young!

She had been trying to lose weight drinking atkins diet drinks and a lot of caesar salad and eating meats I sent with her (grass-fed hamburger meatballs, wild caught salmon, and chicken). This used to work for her; she lost 20 pounds on low carb in the past eating things like cauliflower pizza and just effortlessly dropped weight. I don't understand why it doesn't work for her anymore either.

My guess is it is stress. She is under great pressure because she wants to be a biology major (she is interested in being a scientist) but she is at UW in a program full of pre-med kids. She bombed an exam after catching the flu right after school started (it was a bad one - body aches so bad even her fingers hurt - scary) and had to drop the class (she tried to score high on the next exam but could not recover from the dismal first score). Grief at Christmas hit her like a ton of bricks and she didn't get out of bed most of Christmas break so she started school in a really bad place. I am helping her with a hardship withdrawal from the course. THe doctor has written her a letter about the flu and the grief. Crossing fingers. A hardship withdrawal won't count against her if she wants to go to grad school. She is no slacker; she is only 18 and already a junior because she finished two years of college in high school through running start program.

I do wonder if the starch helps with high cortisol or something.

I will say that both of us have been eating a lot of curry spices. I sprinkle them on my potatoes and I drink a lot of thai and cinnamon apple tea. I do wonder if the spices make a big difference.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-24-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #1393
Chatty Cathy

K.T. - it is great to hear of yours and your daughters successes with the potato woe. I used to always make mashed potatoes with chicken broth and salt (also pepper - I love pepper). That can be quite tasty.

It is hard to hear of your daughters struggles at school and reminds me very much of my son in his 1rst year. He did not have a death of a parent or anything even remotely that tramatic but he did get the Norfolk virus and his first love girlfriend picked Christmas as a good time to cut him lose. His anxiety was off the charts. So hard for him and for me, as his Mom.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #1394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH my gosh, Cathy, thank you..you do understand! I am sure that was quite the devastation for your son, and we moms are so tuned in to our children. I have cried a river for my daughter lately

Thank you for the reminder about pepper--I forgot the pepper!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #1395
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cathy - I love that it takes so little to get results! I will put these books into my que!!!

All - update on my daughter. I cannot believe this....she is only half-way doing the potato hack, and she is down....12 pounds! I had been giving her potatoes to take to school, and pretty much she brought them back uneaten. So, I next I tried baking them for her...she ate more that week, but still many came back uneaten. Then, I baked some in a crock pot, and yes, she did eat even more of these, but some came back uneaten again. Finally, I tried mashing for her. She ate them all, even though they were made with no butter or milk, just salt and chicken broth.

So, instead of eating chicken salad for lunch (caesar salad no crutons), she has been going to the indian food place on campus and eating rice dishes (I told her rice is a secondary choice when no potatoes are around, and there never are any except for french fries on campus). She has been eating potatoes for dinner.

She was 242, now she is 230, and that was after morning coffee. She didn't weigh until I insisted because i can tell she dropped weight this week. She dropped 5 pounds this week. She admitted she even ate a box of girl scout tag-a-longs this week. Oh, to be young!

She had been trying to lose weight drinking atkins diet drinks and a lot of caesar salad and eating meats I sent with her (grass-fed hamburger meatballs, wild caught salmon, and chicken). This used to work for her; she lost 20 pounds on low carb in the past eating things like cauliflower pizza and just effortlessly dropped weight. I don't understand why it doesn't work for her anymore either.

My guess is it is stress. She is under great pressure because she wants to be a biology major (she is interested in being a scientist) but she is at UW in a program full of pre-med kids. She bombed an exam after catching the flu right after school started (it was a bad one - body aches so bad even her fingers hurt - scary) and had to drop the class (she tried to score high on the next exam but could not recover from the dismal first score). Grief at Christmas hit her like a ton of bricks and she didn't get out of bed most of Christmas break so she started school in a really bad place. I am helping her with a hardship withdrawal from the course. THe doctor has written her a letter about the flu and the grief. Crossing fingers. A hardship withdrawal won't count against her if she wants to go to grad school. She is no slacker; she is only 18 and already a junior because she finished two years of college in high school through running start program.

I do wonder if the starch helps with high cortisol or something.

I will say that both of us have been eating a lot of curry spices. I sprinkle them on my potatoes and I drink a lot of thai and cinnamon apple tea. I do wonder if the spices make a big difference.
I'm glad your daughter is losing weight so well on potatoes and rice. Sorry she is having a hard time in other ways, but I'm sure she will be successful with the hardship withdrawal. I've been either attending or working in universities my whole adult life, and there is generally an assumption that faculty should cut students some slack on issues related to health and emotional problems--it's in no one's interest to have them fail when there are extenuating circumstances and support like a letter from a doctor. If the faculty member doesn't cooperate, suggest that she talk to the undergraduate chair of the department in question.

I'm having a pretty easy potato day, boiled fingerling potatoes with salt and malt vinegar. Boiled cold potatoes are surprisingly satiating for the number of calories they have; I've eaten potatoes to satiation for breakfast and lunch for under 300 calories. I miss being able to put a little cream in tea, but I can adjust to that if the potato hack helps me get out of this stall.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-24-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #1396
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It was stunning to me. I guess the average consumer doesn't distinguish between grass fed and grain fed. Pretty sad.... Ya and who wants vegetarian chicken or their eggs for that matter. I see the 'vegetarian claim' on eggs all the time. Part of it is always soy - probably GMO. Ahh, but I could go on and on about the food supply and what people seem to think......
The only advantage I can see from the vegetarian feed claims for chicken is that it may be better to feed them grain than to feed them ground bones, feathers, etc. Bugs and worms are great for chickens, but chickens aren't naturally cannibals on their own species and don't naturally eat animal by-products of big animals (which can be included in non-vegetarian chicken feed). I'd prefer free-range pastured (with bugs) over grain fed, of course, but that can't be possible for farmers near me in the winter, when the weather is close to or below freezing.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #1397
Major LCF Poster!

I'm up 2 pounds after my first potato hack day, but I'm sure that's just water gained after eating starch after a year of being very low carb. I don't really mind doing the cold boiled potatoes with salt and malt vinegar for every meal; I think of eating as sort of a treatment for hunger rather an occasion for pleasure these days. I will be going out to dinner with friends on Friday but otherwise will try to stick with the potatoes and some bone broth with no fat this week.

Have a good week, everyone.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #1398
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good luck on the potato hack! I ignore my weight for 3 days. It usually shows up on day 4 or 5. Hopefully by Friday you will have some results.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #1399
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Svenska,

I have a thread going on my collection of info on the potato hack in the paleolithic area of this site here:

Potato Hack on Paleo Blogs - Anyone Doing This?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #1400
Chatty Cathy

I subscribed to your thread K.T.. It is fascinating.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #1401
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Svenska,

I have a thread going on my collection of info on the potato hack in the paleolithic area of this site here:

Potato Hack on Paleo Blogs - Anyone Doing This?
Thanks, Key Tones. Yennie on the JUDDD board directed me to your thread, and I found it extremely helpful--and so much easier to get through than the pages and pages and pages on potato hacks elsewhere.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #1402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you! I am so fascinated with this still. I am feeling very much in control, and it feels good.

I'm saving so much on groceries that I have relaxed a little about spending money on gas and allowed myself to go shopping a little more, just to thrift shops. I'm on a soap dish hunt - picking up special decorative ones to brighten up the sinks.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #1403
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Thanks, Key Tones. Yennie on the JUDDD board directed me to your thread, and I found it extremely helpful--and so much easier to get through than the pages and pages and pages on potato hacks elsewhere.
Svenska - she just started a potato hack recipe thread. I posted my favorite recipe that is going to save this thing from being boring, oh my gosh, so good - mashed potatoes with chicken or turkey bone broth:

Recipes for the potato hack
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #1404
Senior LCF Member

Goodness...I am so far behind! So, not going to try to respond to everything but just say that I am still *most amused* with you two and your potatoes!!! (KT and Svenskamae).

I started back at the gym yesterday with my former partner of Body for Life eating and exercise where we were really trim and fit and happy...but nonfat and huge amounts of exercise...I was 20# lighter. This time around we are both going for moderate protein and fat and vlc and seeing what happens. The carbs only being for "fueling" muscles after a weight workout. We'll see what happens. I just can't do all that fat as it makes my stomach really upset and gives me icky feelings in my throat/mouth (heartburn?) and I've never had that in my life. Since I"m the oddball here who was the professional dancer and always 20-25# underweight, this probably has a different effect on me than some of you who have never been skinny skinny. So, I just don't think my body likes all the fat...and I can't imagine eating potatoes all the time! (too funny to me still).

Anyway, we took the "Stay Strong" class at the gym. We started out with it 3 years ago and outgrew it. It's "basic" all over body conditioning for people who have never exercised or are OLD (like the main people in class have been doing it 2 times a week for nearly 10 years....they are 60-80's age-wise). Well, my buddy and I were laughing and it was really pathetic. Those 80 yr olds put us to shame. They were able to get through the entire class and we had to stop constantly. This is NOT cardio...it's balance, strength (with 2# hand weights), and flexibility (I couldn't even reach to my ankles let along my feet!!!). Big wake of for me of how the body fails you when you do the NK thing of eating high fat and do not exercise because it raises cortisol levels. I think my body wants the exercise and stress to be healthy. So, I"m modifying everything to what I just "feel" is right for me...but still having very low carbs....we shall see. I'll re-evaluate the end of March.

I need updates from svenskamae on how the potatoes are doing, and KT how is the daughter progressing...you still on track and enjoying it? Sure sounds like it! I am absolutely loving reading about this, but am in no way ready to experience it. I know I couldn't stick with it! But please keep us updated.

drj, cathy, speck.....how are you all doing?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #1405
Senior LCF Member

KT and Svenskamae....just thought of something. We lived in India for 2.5 years and there were no supermarkets there. You found food in the oddest places, but one of our staples took me 2 days to make for us and freeze. they were "veggie patties" and I took *potatoes* and red carrots and green beans...chopped everything up fine. We had eggs available (in paper hats of schooldays that were "upside down" and you had to buy a dozen...there it was 13 to a dozen and they were filthy as nothing was ever cleaned), so I would use the whites as the method to hold the veggies together....sometimes you could find boxes of crackers at odd places and I would get them when I could find them...crunch them up after making the "patties" and then put them in the freezer between waxed paper (we took in boxes with us, not available there, nor was toilet paper). We had that many times. And the other favorite food I would prepare was cream of potato soup!!!! Yup...potatoes mostly with a bit of carrot and "their milk". I would make HUGE pots of it and freeze it (we also brought in a freezer and refrigerator for our use while living there). My point is that I was eating potatoes a lot as a "staple". Meat was really horrific there...we took in cans of spam as that wouldn't spoil (along with 500 packages of toilet paper to last us 5 years!). So....now I'm having to re-think the potato thing. Sure I exercised and drank mostly water...but "food" was lots and lots of potatoes....hmmm....I was 50# lighter than I am right now!!!! I might not be far behind you on the potato thing if my new March technique doesn't work! Now I'm having to laugh at myself!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #1406
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Goodness...I am so far behind! So, not going to try to respond to everything but just say that I am still *most amused* with you two and your potatoes!!! (KT and Svenskamae).

I started back at the gym yesterday with my former partner of Body for Life eating and exercise where we were really trim and fit and happy...but nonfat and huge amounts of exercise...I was 20# lighter. This time around we are both going for moderate protein and fat and vlc and seeing what happens. The carbs only being for "fueling" muscles after a weight workout. We'll see what happens. I just can't do all that fat as it makes my stomach really upset and gives me icky feelings in my throat/mouth (heartburn?) and I've never had that in my life. Since I"m the oddball here who was the professional dancer and always 20-25# underweight, this probably has a different effect on me than some of you who have never been skinny skinny. So, I just don't think my body likes all the fat...and I can't imagine eating potatoes all the time! (too funny to me still).

Anyway, we took the "Stay Strong" class at the gym. We started out with it 3 years ago and outgrew it. It's "basic" all over body conditioning for people who have never exercised or are OLD (like the main people in class have been doing it 2 times a week for nearly 10 years....they are 60-80's age-wise). Well, my buddy and I were laughing and it was really pathetic. Those 80 yr olds put us to shame. They were able to get through the entire class and we had to stop constantly. This is NOT cardio...it's balance, strength (with 2# hand weights), and flexibility (I couldn't even reach to my ankles let along my feet!!!). Big wake of for me of how the body fails you when you do the NK thing of eating high fat and do not exercise because it raises cortisol levels. I think my body wants the exercise and stress to be healthy. So, I"m modifying everything to what I just "feel" is right for me...but still having very low carbs....we shall see. I'll re-evaluate the end of March.

I need updates from svenskamae on how the potatoes are doing, and KT how is the daughter progressing...you still on track and enjoying it? Sure sounds like it! I am absolutely loving reading about this, but am in no way ready to experience it. I know I couldn't stick with it! But please keep us updated.

drj, cathy, speck.....how are you all doing?
Hi, Shelley, Good to hear your update. Are you doing your exercise classes on an empty stomach (apart from water)? I've read that helps with fatburning, if that's your goal. It's good that you are doing some carbs after rather than before the workouts, and great that you have an exercise partner. I smiled when reading about how the 80 year olds were putting you and your partner to shame. There really does seem to be a "use it or lose it" element to exercising. The people on the exercise DVDs that I generally use are mostly over 60--and Lilias and Jane Fonda are in their 70s--and they do way better than mid-50s me.

I'm on day 4 of my potato hack. Day 3 I felt miserable--aching, tired, gassy, depressed. I joked to myself in my own head that if I'd been an Irish peasant woman eating just potatoes in the 19th century, I'd have hung myself in the cow shed. Jen on the JUDDD board advised drinking loads of lemon water, and that helped some with the water and salt retention. But I still feel much less good on potatoes than on lots of fat (unlike Shelley), so I think NK is really good for me in every way except weight loss right now. For that, I'm hoping the no-fat potatoes work. My weight is about where it was before starting the hack, and I must be retaining water with all that starchy carb consumption, so my guess is that I'm down a little in weight.

I'm taking a break from potatoes on Friday, going out to eat with friends for both lunch and dinner (Cobb salad and blue-cheese crusted filet of beef for me, definitely hold the potatoes) that day. I may return to potato hacking on Saturday, if I seem to be losing weight on it.

The closing on my mother's house went off as planned on Tuesday, and I deposited the check in an account for me and my sister today. Next week, I pay off my mortgage, which will feel very good.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #1407
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
KT and Svenskamae....just thought of something. We lived in India for 2.5 years and there were no supermarkets there. You found food in the oddest places, but one of our staples took me 2 days to make for us and freeze. they were "veggie patties" and I took *potatoes* and red carrots and green beans...chopped everything up fine. We had eggs available (in paper hats of schooldays that were "upside down" and you had to buy a dozen...there it was 13 to a dozen and they were filthy as nothing was ever cleaned), so I would use the whites as the method to hold the veggies together....sometimes you could find boxes of crackers at odd places and I would get them when I could find them...crunch them up after making the "patties" and then put them in the freezer between waxed paper (we took in boxes with us, not available there, nor was toilet paper). We had that many times. And the other favorite food I would prepare was cream of potato soup!!!! Yup...potatoes mostly with a bit of carrot and "their milk". I would make HUGE pots of it and freeze it (we also brought in a freezer and refrigerator for our use while living there). My point is that I was eating potatoes a lot as a "staple". Meat was really horrific there...we took in cans of spam as that wouldn't spoil (along with 500 packages of toilet paper to last us 5 years!). So....now I'm having to re-think the potato thing. Sure I exercised and drank mostly water...but "food" was lots and lots of potatoes....hmmm....I was 50# lighter than I am right now!!!! I might not be far behind you on the potato thing if my new March technique doesn't work! Now I'm having to laugh at myself!
Interesting to read about potatoes being a staple for you in India, Shelley. Keytones and I can't put fat (such as eggs) in with our potatoes for the hack to work; some potato patties with carrots and green beans sound much more appealing than my staple of cold boiled potatoes with malt vinegar (supposedly cold potatoes work better than hot ones for the hack). I'd love to have some potato soup, but no milk for me. I'm really impressed that you were organized enough to arrange for the 500 packages of toilet paper; I'd be calling or writing friends and family with desperate pleas to please send TP.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #1408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Shelley,

I don't know how I am doing since I don't weigh in until Friday. Well, I'm not going to be home so I guess I will weigh in tomorrow or Saturday. Today is day 3 back on the hack, so I don't think I have anything going on yet for weight loss since it shows up on day 4 or 5 for me.

I'm going through Splenda/sucralose withdrawal. Ugh, I want some!!! I'm using pure stevia and trying to get used to that. Um, bleah, but I will take it over having no sweetener.

Svenska - Otzi on MDA admits that his real life examples of the potato hack working are from people doing the standard american diet. I started it after getting into mischief between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think your gut bacteria has to transition. Actually, I know this...I tried going vegan once after low carb (nuts fruit veg) and it made me sick as heck with digestive upsets and headaches.

I don't believe in hard core kick overs. Atkins made me so ill when I tried it in the early 90s I thought I was going to have to go to the emergency room with severe shakes and my husband out of exasperation insisted I eat some carbs. I did this twice and gave up. If I had just eased in, I might not have had to suffer gaining to 300# before figuring it out on my own many years later.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-27-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #1409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hmph, add a little fruit and you have the McDougall diet.

I just started reading his book. McDougall is spending some time disputing what paleo diets use as justification. Interesting, but I think a lot of that is a waste of time anyway. Like, the fat egyptians - I remember reading about this in Eades book as part of the proof of the age of agriculture causing poor health/obesity. McDougall said only the upper echelon were mummified, and they were eating the king's diet, not what the peasants ate, of course they were the fat ones, and their diets were verified by testing their hair. Makes sense-I guess this never proved anything. I gather he is about to get into "proof" his diet is best. Eveyone seems to be able to prove their diet is best by citing something.

Anyway, I agree with Kurt Harris that there aren't magical ratios for health, it is more about what not to eat. Don't eat flour, sugar, industrial seed oils (processed food).

Effective weight loss - ??? It starting to sound like only hacks work when weight loss gets hard - fat fast, protein fast, or potato fast. Is this what it has come to???

Yep, I'm kind of crabby coming off of Splenda/

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-27-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #1410
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Key Tones. I think my gut bacteria are getting accustomed to a steady diet of potatoes, finally. For variety, I've swapped the malt vinegar for wheat-free tamari for dunking my cold potatoes. I'm down to 180 today (from a high of 183 on the potato hack), so I do seem to be losing a bit. (I hope I lose a bit more retained water when I go back to lowcarb.) If I keep losing on the potato hack, I'll keep with it until I visit my sister from March 15-26 (doing just JUDDD then), and return to it again in April, until I get to 169 or lower and into non-obese territory. I just hope it keeps working; I have a history of things working (NK, JUDDD, lowcarb) for a few weeks and then no longer doing anything.

Good luck on coping with the Splenda withdrawal, Key Tones. Have you ever tried L-Glutamine supplements? Some people on the main board swear by it to help with cravings.