Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #1261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
My husband had a hard time adjusting to the mask, but once he did, he found it comforting to sleep with. He had a model with heated moisture. Another one of my good friends can't sleep with a mask; she uses some sort of nasal attachment (I forgot what she called it) and sleeps in a recliner. It helps her a lot. Another friend of mine ditched the machine. I guess it can be a bear to get used to.

The sleep apnea machines help people with heart failure. One of the best cardiologists in Seattle told me, back in 2003, that the heart needs filled lungs to beat against. The heart has to work too hard if you are not breathing properly.

I doubt you guys have heart disease, but you may want to read about sleep apnea and heart disease.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #1262
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Thanks, KeyTones. I don't have any heart problems, beyond very slightly elevated blood pressure (in the 120s over 70s, instead of under 120/70). I'm sure sleep apnea isn't good for me, but I can't put up with the machine (or the doctor who prescribed it).

I finally had a bit of a whoosh, bringing me almost down to 179 again (180.2), instead of staying stuck at 182-183. Yesterday, I had a hard day of all fluids plus a little fat (under 200 calories), and today I'm doing a fat fast (plus 1.5 eggs) to get up to 1700 calories, JUDDD-style. And I'm giving up exercise, other than walking, because it stops my weight loss dead. That "move more" prescription for weight loss is very wrong in my case--as is so much of the standard advice.

We should get some sort of dieter purple hearts for what we put up with--200 calorie days, fat fasts, potato hacks, tracking everything, lowcarb/protein restriction, and above all, not giving up!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #1263
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Weighed in Wednesday morning at 190. The week before was 190.8 so I'm down a little. Still not tracking, but trying to still stay with the idea of NK. My blood sugar has been all over and I have no idea why. One day I'm fasting at 85 and the next it could be 120. Yesterday I checked it a couple of hours after rising, but still fasting, and it was 102. Took a couple of units of Humulin Regular, but instead of dropping it went up so that before lunch it was 120

Hoping this will straighten out or my wonderful, amazing, A1c of 5.5 will be history.

Key Tones I'm thrilled for you! Don't think I will be trying a potato diet, but glad it is working for you. And you know - I should never say never

Nice to see you Stardustshadow. Hope all is well with you.

Svenskamae you are awesome. I would never have the stamina or patience to do all the layers of programs that you are doing.

Shelley I have to go back and reread your coments on Skalderman. I don't have it in me to read another book, but the basics of the diet would be interesting. Actually, I read them before, and can't remember a blessed thing!

Drjlocarb and Cathy hope you are both doing well. I may wander over to the NK forum today (if I feel brave) and see what is happening.

I definitely think we all deserve a Dieter's Purple Heart for all that we are doing!!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #1264
Major LCF Poster!

Maureen, have you considered doing journaling--or brief notetaking--to help you track down the factors behind you uneven blood sugars? Things like when you felt especially stressed, what and when you ate, how much sleep you got ... I'm just wondering if it might be factors like sleep deprivation, stress, or intolerance to particular foods that might affect your very uneven blood sugar levels, and if that might help you figure out what to do to get a bit better control (say, napping, meditation, avoiding dairy, not going too long without eating, whatever). I know it's hard to imagine adding yet another burden to your too-large burden of tracking and self-control, but it's all that I can imagine doing to track down the cause of higher blood sugars ...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #1265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Morning all.....I guess I can count my lucky stars that I don't have any sleeping issues (except 2-3 nights before a full moon some months). My family on both sides has horrible heart disease all over...heart attacks in 40's/50's on my mothers fathers side, and heart disease everywhere else, but deaths in the 70-90's there. So, with my high cholesterol (usually 250-325), I am very aware and cautious. And I thought Atkins/NK were supposed to lower cholesterol...not so for me.

Maureen, my Ha1c was 5.8 on the one time I had it tested last year....and my fasting glucose readings with the Nova Max are also all over the place too, but mostly 105-120 which drives me wild. I have read that the Nova Max can be 20% too high or 20% too low and not to rely on it. But the 2 docs I have gone to about my readings say I'm fine and not to worry until THEIR testing shows 120 (last one was 107)...so they wouldn't discuss it. The problem for me, and us, is that we don't eat the SAD, and so our readings should be lower, right? So, my theory is that if I started having bananas, toast, sandwiches, cookies, cakes, etc., my fasting glucose should be HIGHER than what it is without carbs/sugars/grains.

Anyway, this is getting too long. I wish we could all figure it out! :-)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #1266
Major LCF Poster!

Shelley, I wouldn't worry too much about high fasting blood glucose, if your HbA1c levels are good--and HbA1c is probably a better test of average blood glucose for people eating lowcarb, anyway, since lowcarb encourages the liver to do a glucose dump at night (physiological but not pathological, one of the bloggers --Peter Attia? calls it).

For cholesterol, have you asked for a VAP test on particle size? How's your trigliceride level? Dr. Lustig, who seems credible to me, says that high LDL is not a problem if trigliceride levels are low, because that combination indicates that the cholesterol particles are the big, fluffy, less-dangerous kind--and the formula used to calculate LDL levels doesn't work so well when triglicerides are very low (as they tend to be in people eating low carb). Please don't take statins, whatever your cholesterol numbers are; they have lots of awful side effects and no proven efficacy in preventing heart disease in women.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #1267
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I appreciate the input svenskamae. The food doesn't vary very much day to day although it is not exactly the same. I consider 4-5 hours of sleep an awesome wonderful event. I take 3 supplements to help with sleep and sometimes they seem to work and then not work. Stress is an ongoing thing and I used to meditate years ago but am having trouble getting back into the swing of it. Sometimes I can tell when my liver dumps glucose (I think) because I will become very warm all over and if I take a reading right then my blood sugar will be up quite a bit 50-60 points above the last reading. I take metformin which is supposed to stop this, but it happens anyway.

Shelley I also have extremely high chol. Probably around the numbers you mentioned 320-350. My LDL went way up when I had been lc for about 8 or 9 months and stopped my long term statin. The VAP test showed fluffy particles, but still a reading of ldl over 230 was daunting. Subsequent tests showed my HDL went up and my trigs went down and are now 77. LDL is still very high.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #1268
Senior LCF Member

Thanks svenskamae for the comments about cholesterol and such. I have had the VAP (2003?) and I had the worst of the worst of the size, etc. My triglycerides at my last testing in 2011 were 57, so a nice level.

I have cholesterol levels back as far as 1985....and most are over 200 with a few over 300, and they started going over 200 in 1987! I had a couple years under 200, but the last time was 1995....and I ate nonfat in the form of the Richard Simmons deal-a-meal way. I was also 30# less, and about 20# younger and teaching ballet and jazz full time! (lots of hard exercise).

Sometimes I think age really does have a lot to do with all this. My doc that died in about 2005 told me that I was aging and a woman gained weight as she got over 50 and that I was in good shape for my age and to STOP WORRYING about my weight!

I would never take statins and have been referred to cardiologists with each move we have made over the years, or each change of doctors and they all want me on statins! But ONE said I was not a candidate and I thought he was wonderful, and then he moved away! Phooey. Anyway, I would never take statins or bone stuff like Fosamax. Not a chance.

Maureen, my LDL is also very high, but you are lucky with nice fluffy particles. I am curious to know if that VAP test/size would change when doing lowcarb...when I was tested, I was doing lowfat and lots of exercise and weight training.

Anyway, I have a BIG confession to make. My husband eats the SAD...and he wanted choc. cupcakes today. I made them...made wonderful frosting and frosted them. I was so disgusted with trying so hard and for so many years that I said "screw it all" out loud and he laughed. I said I"m tired of watching you eat things I'd like to have and that I have to prepare and not be able to eat. So... I had a hot dog IN A BUN and a frosted chocolate cupcake for lunch!!!!!! I have been diagnosed as gluten intolerant, but have more intolerance of dairy/lactose than gluten. So, it will be interesting to see how I feel later today, tonight or tomorrow and how the scale treats this setback. It was a doozie of a lunch! I think I have come to the conclusion that I"m going to just "enjoy life" for a few days. Sunday is my weigh/measure day. Should be interesting. So, now that I have confessed, I feel "nothing", no guilt, no regret, just "nothing". I think I"m just sick and tired of about 3 years of Atkins induction and only having 8 raspberries on occasion as far as going up the ladder rungs....I never did!....and then the NK with basically no carbs...no fruit, no grains, no veggies most days for the last 5+ months. So, I"m taking 3 days off. Completely off! I haven't done even a day off in about 3 years, so I'm just "fed up" today. Sorry to vent.

The last time I got mad like this was 30 years ago....I ate tons of candy...1/4# every day at lunch (went to the candy counter at work on my lunch hour instead of the YWCA for a class). I lost weight. I think I"m a freak of nature.
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #1269
Major LCF Poster!

Somebody has a quote in their sig from Sara Michelle Geller that goes something like this: "How is eating a piece of cake bad? That doesn't make you bad. Killing someone--that's bad. Don't do that." So good for you for not feeling guilt or regret after that confession--so long as you didn't kill DH in an envious rage about his eating SAD all the time! Enjoy your days off! And feel free to vent! Hey, some people even find that carbing up once in a while gets the scale moving down a bit, and I hope that happens for you.

I don't know what your starting weight is, but do you think maybe you should consider what the doctor you liked said, about so long as you are healthy, stop worrying about your weight? I hope that isn't the wrong thing to say, and it's none of my business, but I am picking up a lot of frustration from you (understandably).

Or can you modify the NK approach to be a bit more forgiving? I eat a lot of low starch vegetables on my JUDDD up days (especially huge raw vegetable salads with full-fat dressing), and my net carbs are under 30 almost always. How about calculating net carbs rather than total carbs? That is much more forgiving of eating vegetables and low glycemic fruit. I know I'd be totally fed up, too, if I couldn't at least eat a lot of salads and vegetables, and calculating net carbs lets me do that. I still end up with 70-80 percent of my calories coming from fat that way. I use "rhymes with hat secret" to track my food, and you can set that to calculate net carbs.

And, BTW, here's a bunch of hugs. It sounds like you need some.

Last edited by svenskamae; 01-31-2013 at 04:34 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #1270
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
I appreciate the input svenskamae. The food doesn't vary very much day to day although it is not exactly the same. I consider 4-5 hours of sleep an awesome wonderful event. I take 3 supplements to help with sleep and sometimes they seem to work and then not work. Stress is an ongoing thing and I used to meditate years ago but am having trouble getting back into the swing of it. Sometimes I can tell when my liver dumps glucose (I think) because I will become very warm all over and if I take a reading right then my blood sugar will be up quite a bit 50-60 points above the last reading. I take metformin which is supposed to stop this, but it happens anyway.

Shelley I also have extremely high chol. Probably around the numbers you mentioned 320-350. My LDL went way up when I had been lc for about 8 or 9 months and stopped my long term statin. The VAP test showed fluffy particles, but still a reading of ldl over 230 was daunting. Subsequent tests showed my HDL went up and my trigs went down and are now 77. LDL is still very high.
Oh, Maureen, I'm so sorry that you have so much trouble sleeping. That has got to make everything in your life harder, and is certainly making it harder to lose weight.

I just read a book by a Swedish doctor called "Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Are Good for You." It could use a good editor, but it seemed pretty compelling to me, in taking apart the so-called evidence about cholesterol levels and mortality/heart disease. Maybe reading that would help you worry less about cholesterol levels. There's a pretty interesting article (in an Iranian medical journal, not widely cited except in low carb circles) about how the formula for calculating LDL is completely off for people whose triglicerides are very low (as ours tend to be), so keep that in mind, too, Shelley and Maureen.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #1271
Senior LCF Member

Dear dear Svenskamae!

You are such a doll!!!! Thanks for the hugs. I love hugs!!!!

I had a long talk tonight with DH and we both agreed that this is just the way it is for someone my age. I am up a couple pounds from my starting weight in late August. No big deal, just up and down the same 5# and I'm about "in the middle" of that right now. (and this is in and out of ketosis).

I don't worry at all about my high cholesterol. Just wish the doctors had the same attitude and opinion, but like thyroid, they like to fight me on MY knowledge and the fact that they are wearing the "white coat" with the "framed certificate" on the wall. I'm old enough to not let that bother me any more.

I'm going to stop the NK eating and testing for sure for a while. I'm going to follow my heart and mind and just see what happens. Before all this recording of foods and weighing, I was less weight, smaller in size a bit, and was totally unstressed. So, I'm going to try going back to that.

As far as sleep.....the one thing that works for me every time is taking a hot bath and reading a simple minded book. Nothing to make me "think". I have a soaking bathtub with a "recliner" back to it and radiant heat tubes under it that keeps the water warm for over an hour (I designed our house that way!!!!) The hot bath and letting the water cool down after about 90 minutes to room temp just has me half asleep (and yes, sometimes I fall asleep in the tub!) and then I sleep really well. Have any of you tried that? Maybe you need to come to my house and sleep in my Maax tub made in Canada...it's simply the best!

I love all the info coming out from doctors about saturated fat and cholesterol being good for the human body! Sure reinforces what we all have thought lately, but it's so nice to have validation! Thanks! I'm off to the tub with my book now! :-)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #1272
Senior LCF Member

KT, how are you doing today......still eating potatoes and feeling well!?!

I got out of the tub last night, saw myself in the mirror and laughed...I looked like I was 9.5 months pregnant with twins! Ah yes...that bread, and the cupcake with frosting really did get to me. Shocked my body but good. Up 2# today, but it's okay. I knew I was not behaving myself and would "pay for it". Fortunately, I still slept well and am back mentally on track with what NOT to do.

There was a study this morning on the national news from Europe....women and heart disease...saying 32% less risk if you are a vegetarian, and that red meat is bad for you and raises cholesterol and BP. This stuff makes me want to bash in the TV screen... so I just turned it off.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #1273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Shelley,

I'm doing fine. I'm still on the potato hack! I get confused about what I have posted where. I'm still doing my uphill biking, trying to build strength in my legs and stamina as well. I don't do it for weight loss, I just want to have fun this summer and I'm getting ready. I am a little sad that I am not ready to hike with my friends yet; they are going Sunday. I am only 7 pounds lighter than my friend at work that hikes (we are the same height), but she is like an athlete, and I am a poor physical specimen, LOL. I was always last or second last in gym class on a dash or whatever.

Potatoes are 323% on the satiety index. I posted about it in the paleolithic/neanderthin portion of the board. I started a thread, but I don't think anyone around here is doing the 14 day version of the potato hack.

RE: bread and cupcakes or whatever - I have been on a diet since 2005, and so, taking a few days to eat whatever if I feel like just seems like no big deal to me. That is life. I don't freak out about it, I just know I'll be back to it shortly. Sometimes I care not about food (like now) and it doesn't even occur to me to want to eat off plan. Sometimes I get into mischief.

On statins - I never say never. If I were in dire circumstances (not saying anyone here is, I don't think so) looking at heart disease killing me faster than the statins might, I would take them with COQ10/ubinquinol and whatever other antidote might exist. I agree they are really overprescribed and probably causing more harm than good for most people.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-01-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #1274
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
KT, how are you doing today......still eating potatoes and feeling well!?!

I got out of the tub last night, saw myself in the mirror and laughed...I looked like I was 9.5 months pregnant with twins! Ah yes...that bread, and the cupcake with frosting really did get to me. Shocked my body but good. Up 2# today, but it's okay. I knew I was not behaving myself and would "pay for it". Fortunately, I still slept well and am back mentally on track with what NOT to do.

There was a study this morning on the national news from Europe....women and heart disease...saying 32% less risk if you are a vegetarian, and that red meat is bad for you and raises cholesterol and BP. This stuff makes me want to bash in the TV screen... so I just turned it off.
Hi, Shelley. Sounds like gluten might be a trigger for bloating for you, above and beyond gaining back water weight after eating carbs. But I'm glad that you slept well and are in a good place mentally.

When I hear about how great being a vegetarian is for your health, I remember how that a healthy vegetarian diet made me 100 pounds overweight (never eating fast food, eating almost no junk food, eating almost no sugar) and made it impossible for me to lose weight no matter how much I cut calories or exercised. So for people like me who are very insulin resistent, what's healthy for some doesn't suit me.

You sound much more at peace after deciding to avoid all the weighing and measuring and calculating and testing, and I'm glad about that. Maybe a good focus would instead be getting or staying healthy, rather than getting back to as thin as you were when you were younger? I've learned about a lot of things while following this board and paleo/lowcarb nutrition books in the past year, and I'm sure that some of them (avoiding polyunsaturated fats, avoiding chemical additives and processed foods, eating bone broth and fermented foods and wildcaught salmon and grassfed beef and so on) would be good for just about anyone, regardless of whether they ate lowcarb, SAD, NK, moderate carb, etc.

I would certainly miss you if you left this board, so I hope you keep posting and checking in. (more hugs for you ) If you don't, maybe I'll show up at your door, demanding that you come back to posting here (and demanding to try out your lovely tub).
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #1275
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Shelley. I can totally relate.

I'm not convinced high cholesterol is even bad and I'm convinced it doesn't cause heart disease. I think the whole thing is backwards. High cholesterol is a sign the body is trying to fix something. It's an immune response. It's like saying too many white blood cells cause an infection.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #1276
Senior LCF Member

HI all.....thank you for the wonderful comments about my cupcakes and such. Yes, gluten is a huge trigger for me, and also for a most magnificent bloat!! ha ha

KT....great job on the biking and getting strong legs...soon you'll be hiking with your friends. You just have to start slow. I'm starting on Monday, so won't be too far behind you with my program. I'm still just flabberghasted (can't spell it!) that you are still content with eating potatoes! You are amazing and strong!!! or should I say determined.

Svenskamae.....I am amazed that you did the vegetarian eating for so long and gained the way you did, but I'm with you on the insulin resistance, and I honestly think that our "youth eating habits" really do come back to haunt us. Thank you for wanting me to stay. I would be enchanted to as I love chatting with you all. I am definitely focused now on my health...not my size, not my weight, and hope to just get more bodyfat off, but that's about it. I am at peace with all that now after a couple days of talking with DH about my frustrations and what he thinks of me (I was 50# lighter when we met and married in our 30's). Anyway, I'm good. Actually, I'm really good now. In a very good place...and I won't leave you!!! And please come over and check out my tub. It's the best!!!! You're in Minneapolis so you are brrrr cold, and the tub would warm you up and let you sleep like a baby!! :-)

Speck...we're about the same size...same weight, and I was born in California (Berkeley) so I just noticed that. I agree about the cholesterol and I was very fortunate to have a doc explain that all to me (the myths, etc.) years and years ago, so I have never worried about it at all. It's like thyroid test numbers and how mainstream docs don't get it. Also, I do believe that the medical books are written for medical students and pushed by pharmaceutical companies in funds to get their numbers as "the law". It's a good thing we all have brains and aren't "cattle" being led in the direction they want. We are women!!! We are strong!!!!

It's most interesting to see what's happening with the NK threads. I'm reading, but not posting. I love it here with you guys!

I am missing drjlocarb though...she's the one that invited me to join you all and she's been pretty quiet since returning from her holiday.....hope all is well.

Cathy and Maureen are pretty quiet too.....but sounds like they are in a pretty good place as well.

I'm actually looking forward to Monday...back at the gym for weights, and also sort of "rotating" my eating for weight days and non weight days. Time will tell if it works. Will surely make my body wonder what the heck I'm doing to it now (sort of like a form of NK and JUDDD, but for me it will be NK 4 days and lowfat/HP on lifting days) Time will tell. I'm off to my beloved tub to finish my fun book!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #1277
Blabbermouth!!!

well, three cheers for chubby short Cali girls!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #1278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am starting to read Ray Cronise's blog. It is so funny, right after I declare something crazy, I have to look into it. He makes a lost of sense, really. He recomends easing into using cold to burn calories and does not recommend ice baths, at least not in the first posts in his blog. Next will be to sleep with lighter covers and turn down the thermostat. He says people aclimate quickly to cooler temperatures. I hope so. I would love to save a few bucks on the heating bill!

So, I went out biking tonight with no coat. He recommends exercising in cold weather to burn more calories. That makes sense. Think I'll wear gloves next time...I'm still defrosting my hands! And here I was thinking of joining a gym!

Wow, look at all the money I'm saving! I can't even polish off the 15 pounds of potatoes I bought for $2.50 in a week (I did eat 3 other meals this week - one at a friends house, 2x was out at a sushi restaurant--not too far off plan really). I'm not going to join the gym,- the one I like is $65 per month. Now, I'm going to turn down the thermostat...wow. If you ever go bankrupt or get into dire straights, my goodness, eat potatoes. I have never lived on so little money.

Shelly - thanks. I go through phases where I don't need any pleasure from food. I am feeling that way now. I am buying teas and focusing on that. My favorite is Market Spice original orange cinnamon tea from Pike's Place Market. It is like nothing else I have found. I throw rocks at the bland orange spice tea at work now!

Anyway, I am soooo tired of trying to figure out the diet. Potatoes are a relief. If I could just swallow pills or pucks or whatever like in the science fiction shows and not have to bother with food and my weight would be normal, I swear, I think I would do it.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-01-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #1279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Shelley. I'm here, all day every day.

Sven said everything better than I could. I don't type very fast, so I tend not to say as much as I want. It sounds as if you have hit that unhappy place and just need a break, for now.

KT, good luck with the potato thing. I wont be doing that.

Mobear, I am watching you for more info on the liver dump.

Speck, watching you too.

Cathy is like me, I think. I am just doing and testing and nothing much to report.

I am testing and trying to see trends. Collecting data at this point. My weight is stable and AM glucose is coming down, but no weight change. I will post some data later today.

At this point, I am waiting for a whoosh.

I cheer for each of you every day.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #1280
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes, Drjlo is right in that nothing much to report. I am very interested in the liver dumping as well as i do think I am experiencing this as well. More prominent now that I am off the berberine.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #1281
Senior LCF Member

I just paid attention to all of your locations.... hip hip hooray for Speck in CA, my birthplace. 3 more cheers for KT being near Pike Place Market (I lived in the Seattle area for many many years and LOVED that orange spice tea the best...does it still come in the little brown mini lunch bag with the label? But, then I remembered that you could buy it in bulk in a plastic bag with a twist tie if you went to them directly.

Re: the cold. Guess 6 years of living in AK has me not having issues with the cold any more (I did in CA). But also the higher fat has my body running hotter and I have turned down the thermostat in "my room" (sewing/quilting) in the house 2 degrees lower than the rest of the house.

drjlocarb....you are from Indiana and that's where my mother was born and I have visited there (Elkhart area). Glad your glucose numbers are coming down. Does that mean your liver isn't "dumping" as much??? This is all new territory for me. I might test before dinner to see if that number is very different from first thing in the AM.

Cathy...I thought you did well with the berberine.....I didn't like it at all. And, you are in Ontario...and I think you are just northeast of me (North Idaho).

So....Maureen and stardustshadow (Hope I remembered that one correctly) are the ones that are not on my geographical radar connection. I just thought that was amusing to have "connections" to so many of you.

OK..>I have to ask. I absolutely love drjlocarb's avatar.....is this you??? (a few years ago of course) or a client or daughter or or or????

KT...my gym membership is $27/month and includes any classes they offer, the weights, the machines, the spas, the racquetball/tennis/squash courts, swimming pool.... it's a huge place and if I were to get a one day pass, it would be $10, so I'm keeping my membership.....but once I begin with gusto, I'm in there 3 days a week, so it's well worth keeping for the price I pay. Too bad it takes 25 minutes to drive there though! (I live in the boonies!!!!!)
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #1282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, I survived the night - I turned down the thermostat and didnt sleep in sweatshirt/down booties. It could be that I was warm enough because of the sushi eating. I purposely at more last night because I am going for a long bike ride today. I suspect I have been undereating to the point of not having glycogen stores despite having all carbs. I don't want to hit the wall while out on the Burke-Gilman trail (I'm mentioning locations for you, Shelley!). I guess I'll have to pack some potatoes

It seems this potato eating holding calories down while chilling a bit to force the metabolism to rev will give the body no choice but to let go of some #s. But can I take it? Will it stay off?

Shelly - the tea just came in a box with a foil bag inside. I read not to touch the tea bags because they apply the orange oil to the bags and it could burn your eyes if you rub them!

I moved here from Phoenix in 1999. The first thing that I noticed is you can buy wheat grass in the produce section any grocery store around my house. I thought perhaps everyone in Seattle eats wheat grass, LOL...
Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #1283
Major LCF Poster!

I'll be going to a conference ("Global Health Metrics and Evaluation") in Seattle in June. I'd appreciate any recommendations for must-see places to go. Mostly I'll be in a downtown hotel, but I'll probably be able to take a plane in early the day before or leave late the day after the conference and fit in some sightseeing.

I won't eat the wheat grass, though. Not after reading "Wheat Belly."

Enjoy your long bike ride, Key Tones. I hope that the sushi and potatoes give you the stamina you need.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #1284
Blabbermouth!!!

Damn you Costco and your free samples!
I didn't buy the California roll platter though.
But right now, it's all I can do to not go into the kitchen and eat something I shouldn't.
TOM is coming.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #1285
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
OK, I survived the night - I turned down the thermostat and didnt sleep in sweatshirt/down booties. It could be that I was warm enough because of the sushi eating. I purposely at more last night because I am going for a long bike ride today. I suspect I have been undereating to the point of not having glycogen stores despite having all carbs. I don't want to hit the wall while out on the Burke-Gilman trail (I'm mentioning locations for you, Shelley!). I guess I'll have to pack some potatoes

It seems this potato eating holding calories down while chilling a bit to force the metabolism to rev will give the body no choice but to let go of some #s. But can I take it? Will it stay off?

Shelly - the tea just came in a box with a foil bag inside. I read not to touch the tea bags because they apply the orange oil to the bags and it could burn your eyes if you rub them!

I moved here from Phoenix in 1999. The first thing that I noticed is you can buy wheat grass in the produce section any grocery store around my house. I thought perhaps everyone in Seattle eats wheat grass, LOL...
Ah....you are going biking in Issaquah...I used to teach ballet there (and Redmond, and Pine Lake). Such fun.

I remember reading about the orange oil on the tea bags, but I think I got a cute little "tea spoon" and bought the loose tea.

HA ha ha on the wheat grass!!!!! I never tried it! I hope your ride today is wonderful and that you have the stamina to keep on pedaling!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #1286
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'll be going to a conference ("Global Health Metrics and Evaluation") in Seattle in June. I'd appreciate any recommendations for must-see places to go. Mostly I'll be in a downtown hotel, but I'll probably be able to take a plane in early the day before or leave late the day after the conference and fit in some sightseeing.

I won't eat the wheat grass, though. Not after reading "Wheat Belly."

Enjoy your long bike ride, Key Tones. I hope that the sushi and potatoes give you the stamina you need.
Any chance that at least 3 of us could meet. It's an 8 hour drive for me, but I'd do it in a heartbeat to meet you and KT!!!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #1287
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Damn you Costco and your free samples!
I didn't buy the California roll platter though.
But right now, it's all I can do to not go into the kitchen and eat something I shouldn't.
TOM is coming.
Oh my...you went to Costco on a Friday! I stay away on Friday's as the samples call to me to "test"....or if I go, it's with DH and he tests! ha ha

Stay out of the kitchen!!!

Sorry about the TOM for you. I'm 15 years post meno and I have to say that this is the most wonderful "loss" I have encountered (other than breast tissue in a breast reduction 12 years ago). It's one of the wonderful things about getting "old"!!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #1288
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Any chance that at least 3 of us could meet. It's an 8 hour drive for me, but I'd do it in a heartbeat to meet you and KT!!!!!
I'd love to do that, but I was shy about asking. I don't drive, but I could stay an extra day or two, using up vacation time, and I could take a train, bus, or cab somewhere to meet up. I'll be staying at the Seattle Westin hotel during the conference, which is June 17-19, but I could stay for some free time before or after the conference. It would be lovely to meet either KT or Shelley--or best of all, both of you.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #1289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shelley, I am in LaPorte. Just miles from Elkhart. Where are you?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #1290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had lots of data reported and lost it. Will report tomorrow.