Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #1201
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Hello everyone!
I've been busy the last few days. Doing very well. That is all.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #1202
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Cathy--OK, I checked my two hour post-meal glucose this morning.

Fasting: 85

2 hour post-breakfast potato (ate one large potato, which was almost as large as two potatoes: 121

As I recall, I used to get the biggest reaction to carbs in the morning. It is a big jump, but 121 is within acceptable range.

I haven't seen AuntieEm either! I remember that she said the comments shed light on the topic. I do miss her. I'll look around the threads.

I take back what I said about warming up. I am back to being very cold all the time and very cold sensitive. Sigh.

I'm going to do my uphill biking tonight. Yep, in the dark, but just around my neighborhood. We have street lights, which is unusual in my neck of the woods.
That seems like a pretty reasonable # KT! I am puzzled but happy at the same time for you. Is it possible to have 'healed'?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #1203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Cathy - I am so puzzled; I don't know what to think.

My A1C went up from mid 5s to 6.0 after Thanksgiving-Christmas mischief. This A1C indicates average blood sugar around 120. I was mostly good on my diet, but had some large meals around Thanksgiving and Christmas and got into treats in between. I didn't log it.

Perhaps the mechanism is that I simply am not eating very much. It isn't easy to eat too many plain potatoes. I should try eating 20 potatoes and see what happens Hmmm, maybe not.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-23-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #1204
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Just checking in. Still stalled (again) and bouncing between 188-190. Tested BK once - low. I reread part of Dr. Bernstein's book and may have found an answer as to why my blood glucose goes up when I think I am right on track.

He mentions the "Chinese restaurant effect" which is the release of incretin sp? hormones when intestines are distended. He says through testing his own levels and his patients that he has discovered that 2cups of salad which only has maybe 2g of carbs raises blood glucose like 12g of carbs . I read this long ago and forgot it. Then I started obsessing about the shirataki noodles which I eat along with the 1/2c of veggies and/or 2c of salad and just freaked out.

I'm not quitting NK, lc or even taking a holiday from lc. But, I've got to take some of the stress off of myself. I am just obsessing about this. I feel trapped....can't have more than 1c of lettuce, can't eat more than 1/2 a package of noodles, can't eat more than 50g of protein....I just have got to stop this for a little while. I've eaten so much fat the last few days that I am having "bowel" problems from it. I am hungry plus the stress is screaming EAT EAT.

Anyway, I'm not going to log for a few days and just try to calm down before I "blow a gasket".

Speck333 glad to hear you are doing ok. Key Tones I totally don't understand what is happening with you but am happy that you are doing well.

Drjlocarb I hope your cold is better. How much did all that snot weigh??

Cathy it sounds like you are in the zone! Good for you.

I also wonder where AuntieEm is. TaDa hasn't posted in very long time and I hope she is ok because she mentioned some health problems. Maybe some day they will pop in and say hi.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #1205
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Hello everyone!
I've been busy the last few days. Doing very well. That is all.
Glad to hear that you are doing well, Speck. Keep checking in!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #1206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi all.....I'm still fascinated by KT's potato eating!!!!

Speck...glad you checked in....glad everyone is checking in.

Maureen....I took this week off...I"m eating "properly" for the most part, but I'm not weighing, not recording foods, macros, calories, etc. I feel more "sane" and am probably eating less without all that is involved in all the tracking and "thinking about what to eat".

Svenska......I got the Skaldeman book today! Can't wait to read it. Very different way of tracking foods and determining what to eat. I scanned it a bit and noticed "no foods from under the ground...like potatoes which have so much starch"! h a ha Obviously I immediately thought of KT and her potatoes!

The NK threads are way way way off subject lately.....very odd that the threads are hijacked by chicken coops, eggs, above ground gardening, GMO foods and who is right and who is wrong, washing cars and what products to use, TV shows, music....blah blah blah or is it just me?

drjlocarb....how are you feeling? Better, I hope!

Cathy....how are you doing on the synthroid....anything noticeable yet? Has it been 2 weeks yet? I can't remember.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #1207
Blabbermouth!!!

That tends to happen after a while when people get to becoming friends in a thread. The subjects naturally drift.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #1208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Mobear, I definitely remember reading about the chinese restaurant effect from his patient that would eat a whole head of lettuce. I thought he said it would be OK as long as you don't stuff yourself? It has been a long time since I've read the book.

Shelly - yes, I can't keep up with some threads I've joined. I like chatting with Amber, but she attracts a lot of followers and I can't follow it all.

Hi Speck!

RE: potato diet - my daughter tried it. She said she didn't eat much today because she thinks she will barf if she eats another potato! I laughed and said that I think that's how it works. I don't think she's going to be able to do it (she's 18, not a child). She has recently put on 30 pounds, poor thing. She can't seem to make low carb work for her, but she also has no interest in reading the books. One does need to learn to put a plan together and understand how it works. I think a lot of success comes from believing in the plan so that you stick with it because weight loss is a very slow process and takes perseverence. And resilience.

I had @1000 calories today. An OK day. I'm not eating to a calorie limit, I am observing where I become satiated. It is facinating. It does seem to lower the calorie level at which I become satisfied.

Everyone - have a great evening.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #1209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Mobear, I SO hear you! Take a breath and proceed with what you know.

KT, good luck. I am too chicken to eat potatoes like that.

Speck, you sound like your head is in a better place these days.

Shelley, that one NK thread doesn't appear to do much with the NK side of things 99% of the time, just post after post about nothing, like a coffee clutch. No one there seems to actually trying for any weight loss or even chatting about NK.

Cathy, No news is good news? I assume you are in limbo until the meds are on board for a few weeks.

Sven, I hope things are going in the right direction.

Last edited by drjlocarb; 01-24-2013 at 06:50 AM..
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #1210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My fasting ketones this morning were........1.3 !

Don't get too excited. My weight is in the same range.

Cathy you asked if my blood glucose levels were truly coordinated with my blood ketones. Check this out;

Date- bk - bg
1-17, 0.2- 117
1-18, 0.5- 110
1-19, 0.3- 112
1-20, 0.3- 112
1-21, 0.5- 111
1-22, 0.5- 111
1-23, 0.2- 115
1-24, 1.3- 109

Last edited by drjlocarb; 01-24-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #1211
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Just checking in. Still stalled (again) and bouncing between 188-190. Tested BK once - low. I reread part of Dr. Bernstein's book and may have found an answer as to why my blood glucose goes up when I think I am right on track.

He mentions the "Chinese restaurant effect" which is the release of incretin sp? hormones when intestines are distended. He says through testing his own levels and his patients that he has discovered that 2cups of salad which only has maybe 2g of carbs raises blood glucose like 12g of carbs . I read this long ago and forgot it. Then I started obsessing about the shirataki noodles which I eat along with the 1/2c of veggies and/or 2c of salad and just freaked out.

I'm not quitting NK, lc or even taking a holiday from lc. But, I've got to take some of the stress off of myself. I am just obsessing about this. I feel trapped....can't have more than 1c of lettuce, can't eat more than 1/2 a package of noodles, can't eat more than 50g of protein....I just have got to stop this for a little while. I've eaten so much fat the last few days that I am having "bowel" problems from it. I am hungry plus the stress is screaming EAT EAT.

Anyway, I'm not going to log for a few days and just try to calm down before I "blow a gasket".

Speck333 glad to hear you are doing ok. Key Tones I totally don't understand what is happening with you but am happy that you are doing well.

Drjlocarb I hope your cold is better. How much did all that snot weigh??

Cathy it sounds like you are in the zone! Good for you.

I also wonder where AuntieEm is. TaDa hasn't posted in very long time and I hope she is ok because she mentioned some health problems. Maybe some day they will pop in and say hi.
Mobear, I'm sorry this is so stressful and that you understandably feel boxed into a corner without options. Do try to stay calm and take care of yourself.

There's a Youtube interview with Dr. Mary Vernon in which she says that some patients who don't lose on lowcarb have to be treated for incretin release even before insulin release happens. Wikipedia (not a great source, I know) has an article on incretins that refers to a couple of Rx drugs that facilitate glucose control (e.g.,exenatide, which is administered by injection). Unfortunately, I don't see how people can influence incretin release easily by changing their macronutrient intake or the timing of when they eat, etc.

Drjlocarb, congratulations on those ketones finally going up. Here's hoping that some weight loss follows!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #1212
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

Cathy you asked if my blood glucose levels were truly coordinated with my blood ketones. Check this out;

Date- bk - bg
1-17, 0.2- 117
1-18, 0.5- 110
1-19, 0.3- 112
1-20, 0.3- 112
1-21, 0.5- 111
1-22, 0.5- 111
1-23, 0.2- 115
1-24, 1.3- 109
Woohooooo! Welcome to the 'zone'!! I wonder if you feel any different? I am a bit surprised with your b.g. levels but they certainly do seem to be linked. Now all you have to do is give it a few months.

I am still the same - which is gaining and losing the same 2lbs. and still 2 to 4 lbs. away from my stall weight of 172.5. Seems strange that I once rejoiced at hitting the 170's and now I am so sick of that #, I could scream. Well at least I am not gaining anymore.

The thyroid meds seem to be having zero effect. I feel exactly the same and my weight - the same. It has been just over 2 weeks.

Maureen, I sympathize with your feelings and am sending you hugs. You are doing a great job so don't forget that.

My d.s. sent me a link to a really interesting article that I thought you all might be interested in. It brings me back to wanting to find a fecal donor - none of you guys qualify! It is from The New Yorker but too long to post here. Here is the pertinent info to google it.

ANNALS OF SCIENCEGERMS ARE USBacteria make us sick. Do they also keep us alive?
BY MICHAEL SPECTER
OCTOBER 22, 2012
By the time a child crawls, he is blanketed by an enormous cloud of microorganisms.PRINTE-MAILSINGLE PAGE
KEYWORDS
GERMS; ANTIBIOTICS; PROBIOTICS; BACTERIA; THE MICROBIOME; H. PYLORI; BARRY MARSHALL

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #1213
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Woohooooo! Welcome to the 'zone'!! I wonder if you feel any different? I am a bit surprised with your b.g. levels but they certainly do seem to be linked. Now all you have to do is give it a few months.

I am still the same - which is gaining and losing the same 2lbs. and still 2 to 4 lbs. away from my stall weight of 172.5. Seems strange that I once rejoiced at hitting the 170's and now I am so sick of that #, I could scream. Well at least I am not gaining anymore.

The thyroid meds seem to be having zero effect. I feel exactly the same and my weight - the same. It has been just over 2 weeks.

Maureen, I sympathize with your feelings and am sending you hugs. You are doing a great job so don't forget that.

My d.s. sent me a link to a really interesting article that I thought you all might be interested in. It brings me back to wanting to find a fecal donor - none of you guys qualify! It is from The New Yorker but too long to post here. Here is the pertinent info to google it.

ANNALS OF SCIENCEGERMS ARE USBacteria make us sick. Do they also keep us alive?
BY MICHAEL SPECTER
OCTOBER 22, 2012
By the time a child crawls, he is blanketed by an enormous cloud of microorganisms.PRINTE-MAILSINGLE PAGE
KEYWORDS
GERMS; ANTIBIOTICS; PROBIOTICS; BACTERIA; THE MICROBIOME; H. PYLORI; BARRY MARSHALL
Fascinating article, Cathy, thanks for sharing that. I do think that there have to be variables other than macronutrients and insulin levels explaining why some people have so much more trouble losing weight or gain so much more easily, and bacterial imbalances seem like a likely suspect. Here's another reason to keep eating dairy and meat from animals raised as organically/grassfed as possible.

I want a fecal transplant from Michael Phelps, since he supposedly eats about 10,000 calories a day and stays lean.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #1214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

GACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!! EEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #1215
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
RE: potato diet - my daughter tried it. She said she didn't eat much today because she thinks she will barf if she eats another potato!

I had @1000 calories today. An OK day. I'm not eating to a calorie limit, I am observing where I become satiated. It is facinating. It does seem to lower the calorie level at which I become satisfied.
OMG I laughed at your daughters reaction to the potato eating program. Too funny. You're doing great KT....I'm inspired and love reading what is going on with you. I also find all this fascinating. So far you are doing great with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

That was what happened to me when I was checking them both...a definite relationship, but BIG Congratulations on getting that 1.3 reading. Wow. Super good news!

Quote:

Cathy.....sounds like many of the women following "plan" are having the yo you weight. I got Skaldeman's book yesterday and didn't put it down until a few minutes ago...reading the entire thing. Bottom line is that his way of doing NK is different from P/V and I like it. He also noted that the macros used in books are for professional athletes and NOT the layperson (true). And he said that men will lose double what women will lose, and that 1 in 4 women will do the up/down/up/down of the same pounds over and over and not lose weight or inches. And, if that happens, it's usually one of several things. dairy, artificial sweeteners, nuts, cheeses, wrong fats, and I can't remember the others right now (book is downstairs). But the way the book is written worked for the way my brain thinks and now I finally understand what the HFLC nutritionist told me last year...and why it hasn't been working for me. I'm starting over.

I'm not surprised you aren't feeling any differently on the meds yet. First, a very small amount, and 2nd T4 only treatment (what you are on) takes 6-8 weeks to "convert" to the T3 for energy, etc. If you think thyroid meds help with weightloss, that's a misnomer unfortunately. It just gives you the energy to make it through the day and stop symptoms. The rest (diet/exercise/life) is up to you with more functional ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Here's another reason to keep eating dairy and meat from animals raised as organically/grassfed as possible.

I want a fecal transplant from Michael Phelps, since he supposedly eats about 10,000 calories a day and stays lean.
Ha ha ha on the fecal transplant from Michael Phelps!!!! I think it might also have something to do with his workouts, lean body mass, incredible amount of muscle mass to burn whatever he eats! And I'm sure he can eat anything!

The thing about dairy from what I know is that any homogenization/pasturization kills all the "good stuff" and raw milk products keep the "good stuff", but the risks involved can be great...I drank raw milk for years and never had a problem with my guts....but cannot tolerate regular milk. Organic HWC seems to be okay, but of course, that's consumed in small little amounts, so who knows.

Re: grass fed meat....I've told hubby that he has to go hunting this fall. We finished off the big moose last year and I can't locate any grass fed meats around here, so we are getting what we eat from the reg. store. No other choice right now, but I totally agree with you.
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #1216
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Cathy.....sounds like many of the women following "plan" are having the yo you weight. I got Skaldeman's book yesterday and didn't put it down until a few minutes ago...reading the entire thing. Bottom line is that his way of doing NK is different from P/V and I like it. He also noted that the macros used in books are for professional athletes and NOT the layperson (true). And he said that men will lose double what women will lose, and that 1 in 4 women will do the up/down/up/down of the same pounds over and over and not lose weight or inches. And, if that happens, it's usually one of several things. dairy, artificial sweeteners, nuts, cheeses, wrong fats, and I can't remember the others right now (book is downstairs). But the way the book is written worked for the way my brain thinks and now I finally understand what the HFLC nutritionist told me last year...and why it hasn't been working for me. I'm starting over.

I'm not surprised you aren't feeling any differently on the meds yet. First, a very small amount, and 2nd T4 only treatment (what you are on) takes 6-8 weeks to "convert" to the T3 for energy, etc. If you think thyroid meds help with weightloss, that's a misnomer unfortunately. It just gives you the energy to make it through the day and stop symptoms. The rest (diet/exercise/life) is up to you with more functional ability.
I guess I should read the book. I would disagree though that the macros are directed towards those that are professional athletes (I am speaking for the 'living' book) as it was written for practitioners and Phinney was interviewed by JM and I am sure the point would have been mentioned. However, I would be happy to have any fresh ideas on how to beat this.

Thank you for the info on the thyroid meds. I figure that it is not enough to make any real difference in how I feel or with weight loss. I do expect that once I have my thyroid properly treated, I will expect to lose as I am dieting and exercising - that is kind of the point. I would not expect so otherwise.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #1217
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I guess I should read the book. I would disagree though that the macros are directed towards those that are professional athletes (I am speaking for the 'living' book) as it was written for practitioners and Phinney was interviewed by JM and I am sure the point would have been mentioned. However, I would be happy to have any fresh ideas on how to beat this.

Thank you for the info on the thyroid meds. I figure that it is not enough to make any real difference in how I feel or with weight loss. I do expect that once I have my thyroid properly treated, I will expect to lose as I am dieting and exercising - that is kind of the point. I would not expect so otherwise.
Hi...see what svenskamae has to say as she was the first to get the book. Maybe she has a different take...and I'm dyslexic so I have to read things more than once to really understand.

Re "expecting to lose" once optimized....I thought the same thing. At the time was 140# and that was 2 years ago. Totally optimized with the whole endocrine system (hormones, adrenals, thyroid) and I have gained 20# and was going to the gym 3 days a week for weights and doing the elliptical and pilates at home. Still gained. And, those in the know, will tell you that you need to be optimized for thyroid for well being and feeing energy to exercise and get through the day. It does NOT help with weightloss in the way that most people think. That's the reality, and also the "bad news". Those that take too much T3 will lose weight as it speeds up the heart, and "metabolism" by doing that...but it also can kill you to do that. We live on such a tightwire sometimes!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #1218
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
OMG I laughed at your daughters reaction to the potato eating program. Too funny. You're doing great KT....I'm inspired and love reading what is going on with you. I also find all this fascinating. So far you are doing great with this!

That was what happened to me when I was checking them both...a definite relationship, but BIG Congratulations on getting that 1.3 reading. Wow. Super good news!

Ha ha ha on the fecal transplant from Michael Phelps!!!! I think it might also have something to do with his workouts, lean body mass, incredible amount of muscle mass to burn whatever he eats! And I'm sure he can eat anything!

The thing about dairy from what I know is that any homogenization/pasturization kills all the "good stuff" and raw milk products keep the "good stuff", but the risks involved can be great...I drank raw milk for years and never had a problem with my guts....but cannot tolerate regular milk. Organic HWC seems to be okay, but of course, that's consumed in small little amounts, so who knows.

Re: grass fed meat....I've told hubby that he has to go hunting this fall. We finished off the big moose last year and I can't locate any grass fed meats around here, so we are getting what we eat from the reg. store. No other choice right now, but I totally agree with you.
I think another factor mentioned by Skaldeman as a staller was not getting enough sleep. I'm glad you liked the book, Shelley. I find the way he calculates fat/protein ratios too loosey-goosey for me, so I use a tracker instead (to also calculate calories for cycling on JUDDD), but otherwise found the book helpful (including his acknowledgment that it can take a long time for your body to "learn" to burn fat.

I eat a fair amount of cheese and most of the time pick cheese made with raw milk, to get more of the good stuff taken away by homogenization. If you ask to be pointed to the raw milk cheeses by staff at the "cheese counter" section of a grocery store (or at least at my food co-op), you can learn which ones (both domestic and imported) are made with raw milk.

You can locate suppliers of grass-fed meat (by state) or for shipping on the EatWild website.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #1219
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I think you'd like the Skaldeman book, Cathy. I don't remember the part about macros suggested by other sources, but I do know that he stresses keeping carbs very low and sticking with a high ratio of fat to protein. There are a lot of non-fussy high fat recipes included, too, and it is available in a cheap paperback. I've read the other Swedish LCHF books (in translation), from the same press, and I wouldn't bother with those (one from a doctor reporting how many different health problems got better in her patients doing LCHF, one from a diabetic urging this woe for diabetics--but not as thorough as the Bernstein book).
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #1220
Senior LCF Member

KT -- congratulations on being back to pre-Thanksgiving weight. With no holidays in front of you, you are on a roll...just keep "rolling" along! With those potatoes! Still makes me laugh to think of only eating potatoes!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #1221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks!

LOL, yes, poor thing. I will see how my daughter fared this week when I pick her up tonight. I have a feeling she will want me to cook something else this weekend! I will get to have a couple of tablespoons of whatever it is all. Oh well, I am up for keeping to the potato experiment!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #1222
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, congrats KT!

Sleep. I know it's important. I have long suspected that poor sleep habits and quality might be at the root of my stall.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #1223
Major LCF Poster!

I gained a lot of my excess weight during an extended period when I was always sleep deprived (working too many hours). Every now and then I still pull an all-nighter for my job, and every time it makes me extremely hungry and my weight goes up a couple of pounds following it. There's a pretty extensive body of evidence linking inadequate sleep (for most people, under 6 hours per night, but some people need more) to a lot of health problems, including obesity (especially abdominal obesity).
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #1224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Speck!

I have noticed that I eat more when I haven't had enough sleep. I need the food to give me energy to try to stay awake. Not a good thing.

I've been playing youtube video lectures when I get into bed. They knock me out faster than reading a book. I struggle to stay awake to hear them but I can't do it. Last night was Stephan Guyenet. Before that, I was trying to listen to some Lustig and Wolf lectures. I really do want to hear these!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #1225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

205 this morning; new ground.

As usual, not much appetite this morning. My daughter says she has been mostly doing it this week, except someone burned up the microwave in the kitchen week. One of her dorm mates sleeps all day so she doesn't want to use the one in the room. I'll have to cook some for her that might be good cold. Well, hmm, I'm not sure what that would be. She hates potato salad (hates mayo and mustard both), so I don't think she would eat fat free potato salad.

Anyway, her appetite is way down. She hasn't weighed in yet. I am curious and have been waiting, but she is sleeping in.

Fasting glucose for me has still been mid 80s to low 90s. Lower if I stick to potatoes only at dinner
Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #1226
Blabbermouth!!!

Sour cream is nice for potato salad
Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #1227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, she claims to not like sour cream either, but she unknowingly eats it in some recipes. Perhaps the fat free wouldn't be so gross for her. You know, she likes ranch dressing...I could use the powder mix to make a dressing! I'll try this, thanks Speck!!!

She says she was only down one pound, but she didn't really do the diet, either. She ate mostly potatoes. Well, it doesn't work that way; it has to be virtually all potatoes with other foods down to mere condiments--in very limited quantities.

I read up more on the potato hack. There is a string of hundreds of posts about critisms and metabolic theory on ***. Good grief, I can't read all that, but from what I did read...no one really knows why it works. There doesn't seem to be enough protein in it. Doesn't high carb stimulate insulin to drive the glucose to the fat stores? Potato paradox I guess.

My money is on Peter/Hyperlipid. The fat necessary to make the insulin to deal with all the glucose has to come out of the body's fat stores if the fat isn't in the diet. If I believe this, then I can believe the weight is really coming from the fat stores.

I will only know after I go back to eating my regular diet if the weight loss sticks. I won't know for a long time.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-27-2013 at 12:00 AM..
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #1228
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for continuing to update us and keeping up the experiment, Keytones. I think that the JUDDD folks were doing no more than 1 teaspoon of fat per potato, but allowed some flavorings like broth and malt vinegar. Are you doing any fat with your potatoes, KT?

I'm tempted to try a potato hack myself, since despite doing JUDDD and NK, I've been going up and down the same 3 pounds for a month. I'm staying with what I'm doing until the end of February, then trying JUDDD and NK with no dairy for a month, and if that still doesn't work, trying fat fasts, egg and fat fasts, and potato hacks.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #1229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Svenska - yes, I use some fat. I don't measure it out or use it with each potato. It doesn't add up to more than 2 tablespoons' worth per day.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #1230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning ladies!

Since this is the stall thread, I've got to share another article. The ice diet, OMG...the interesting part is this NASA scientist found that you burn waaaaay more calories when you are cold than when you exercise. That never occurred to me!

Weight Loss: NASA Scientist Ray Cronise Chills His Body to Burn Calories - ABC News

Not recommending ice baths!!!...seems like it could give you a heart attack. I think the exercising in cold weather, though, or in cool water (swimming) is interesting. It never occurred to me that the water temp has a lot to do with it.

I want to read his blog about the potato hack; that is how I found it. Have to register to read it, though. Apparently, he is a vegan. I don't support that at all; I just want to read about his weight loss. Curious man!