Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #1171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have never been able to do a pull up.. I think women have a center of gravity issue if I remember right. I just tried your exercises Speck. I can do 16 regular push ups, 25 squats, and planked for 55 seconds and then the dog lick my nose and I fell down laughing.

Shelly, I think that would be great.

I just might lose 2-3 lbs today based on the amount of snot flowing out of my head.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #1172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
DrJ, feel better!

RE: IF - I've done it before. Every other day fast, or eating only in a one hour window per day, and other methods - our assistant at work told me he was afraid of me because I was so crabby. I had to quit doing it. Don't want to get fired!

All - got on scale. I'm still up a pound, 213. It is going to stick if I don't do something. I can't handle the idea of not hanging on to a 100 pound weight loss. Maybe I have cracked. I have had on the back burner the idea of doing a potato fast. I know it sounds crazy, but I did it once before when I was 19. I was 219 pounds, I ate nothing but 5 potatoes a day, each with a 1/2 cup of skim milk out of a fear of needing protein/calcium. I lost 30 pounds in 30 days, down to about 190, and I didn't gain it back when I stopped doing it.

I noticed people are potato fasting on the board. So weird. I followed Chris Voight when he did his potato fast.

What has held me back was that I am diabetic. Well, I spent last night reading Stephan Guynet's posts about potatoes. I am not afraid. I'll talk more later about it if anyone is interested. I think it is best to see how I do and check blood sugar. I have books on the high carb low fat diets. I know they can turn diabetes around as well if plant-based. Anyway...

What the hell. I have the giant bag of potatoes from Costco. I'm doing it.

KT's n=1.

I need to know if everything I believe is just religion.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-19-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #1173
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Happy weekend everyone . I think my body has been taken over by aliens I swear I'm doing the same things I was for most of last week and all of a sudden my b.g. is back to holding steady at 85-95 with NO insulin in the morning and no food. Early this last week it was rising steadily from 85 to 125 and several days I had to take 3u of regular at 9:00 a.m. with no food to stop the rise.

My extreme 9:00 a.m. hunger seems to have abated also. I just really don't understand all of this. My protein has been under reasonable control 48=51g a day for most of the week, so why the change?

Key Tones please make sure you check your blood sugar if you do try the potato diet. You mentioned that you did this diet when you were 19, but were you insulin resistant at that time? Please please be careful with this!

I don't measure - but am generally aware of how my clothes fit. I have a lot of belly fat and depending on how tight the tape is and exactly where I measure there can be a big difference. at the idea of spandex!

Hope you feel better drjlocarb. I just hate colds and all the congestion...but maybe you will lose a couple of pounds.

Speck333 good for you and the exercise. About the only thing I do is walk and I'm not really consistent even with that.

Cathy it will be interesting to see if your glucose readings change without the supplement!
Mobear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #1174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know exactly when I started having blood sugar problems. I know I did when I wanted birth control pills that I was checked and told I had high blood sugar when I was 23. I suspect I probably did when I did the potato diet at age 19 because I had just gained from 165 to 219 (I had been 190 and lost to 165 a few years before that). My scale broke sometime around when I was 190 pounds and I didn't know I had gotten to 219. I freaked out when I weighed myself at the gym under a free 30 day membership.

I suspect maybe my entire life, really. I was an overweight toddler, obese in elementary school. My mom found a doctor that prescribed diet pills when I was 10 years old. Sad. It has been life-long.

Don't worry, I will check my blood sugar. I'll give it a little time to adjust and see.

I'll do a 30 day run; I hope to make it 60 days, then revert back to a paleo diet. Maybe Robb Wolff's or Loren Cordain's plan. I've just got to get some weight off.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-19-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Old 01-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #1175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
DrJ, feel better!

RE: IF - I've done it before. Every other day fast, or eating only in a one hour window per day, and other methods - our assistant at work told me he was afraid of me because I was so crabby. I had to quit doing it. Don't want to get fired!

All - got on scale. I'm still up a pound, 213. It is going to stick if I don't do something. I can't handle the idea of not hanging on to a 100 pound weight loss. Maybe I have cracked. I have had on the back burner the idea of doing a potato fast. I know it sounds crazy, but I did it once before when I was 19. I was 219 pounds, I ate nothing but 5 potatoes a day, each with a 1/2 cup of skim milk out of a fear of needing protein/calcium. I lost 30 pounds in 30 days, down to about 190, and I didn't gain it back when I stopped doing it.

I noticed people are potato fasting on the board. So weird. I followed Chris Voight when he did his potato fast.

What has held me back was that I am diabetic. Well, I spent last night reading Stephan Guynet's posts about potatoes. I am not afraid. I'll talk more later about it if anyone is interested. I think it is best to see how I do and check blood sugar. I have books on the high carb low fat diets. I know they can turn diabetes around as well if plant-based. Anyway...

What the hell. I have the giant bag of potatoes from Costco. I'm doing it.

KT's n=1.

I need to know if everything I believe is just religion.
Good luck, Keytones. There are some potato hack threads on the JUDDD board; several people there have done potato days, and there's a lot of discussion of ways to cook the potatoes and how just eating potatoes kills appetite. The women on the JUDDD part of this board couldn't be nicer or more supportive of others, and if you read through the potato hack threads and post yourself, I'm sure they'd be happy to give advice and support--even if you aren't alternating calorie up/down days.

Here's one of the threads: A DD Hack
Here'a another: Potato fast! Who's with me??

Last edited by svenskamae; 01-19-2013 at 02:27 PM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #1176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
My 2 cents worth is that potatoes are an inflammatory food for many bodies. They are for me. But red potatoes, yellow/yukon gold, etc. are not...it's just the russets.

drj...sure hope you feel better, but a 2-3# loss with "head fluids" would be grand! Love your dog that licked you. I'm jealous that many of you can do a pushup and a long plank!

I have an old book I dug out (we've been downsizing) and it's Tony Perrone's Bodyfat Breakthrough. 10 different plans for different types of people, etc. He did Demi Moore for striptease and GI Jane and many other actors (Denzel Washington, Bruce Willis, etc) and his clients convinced him to write the book. It has 10 tests for 10 different types of eating plans. They are all over the place with low to high carb, etc. I scored that the best plan for me was high protein, low fat and veggies with all meals, and one meal a day containing a carb like sweet potatoes. NO calorie restriction. It was pretty amazing to do the tests again. (1999 book) The test I scored "next closest to" was 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat! So, what do you think about that?!?!!? (one was a 53% score and the other a 48% score)

Remember that as we age, our bodies are different. When I was 19 I was a whopping 98# at the same height!!! I was skinny with all my dance and never EVER having red meat and not liking protein at all. I existed on (ready????) fruit cocktail, canned pears, cottage cheese and Carnation instant breakfast with milk....regular I think. Dinners were very very small amounts, and many times some hamburger with a can of beans (pinto or kidney) for a family of 6! (sort of like chili but no spices). No wonder I was skinny! We never had salads or veggies...but LOTS of sugared jello and kool aid with sugar. I ate LOTS of sugar/carbs!

So..keep that in mind when you think of the potato diet please...you aren't the same person and obviously I'm not either!

Re: crunches and any flex type of exercise for abs (yoga, pilates, etc) is very hard on the lower back. I listened to a 2 hour podcast on it and have researched it.....do not do crunches or anything where you lift your head up (even with support) and try to engage the abs. You are better off lying over a big ball and bending "back" over it and coming up to "flat" for the abs, or lying flat on your back, feet up to the ceiling (close to 90 degrees) and then lifting the feet to the ceiling and trying to get the hips to come off the floor...and no, you cannot move your head/shoulders to do this. It's HARD! You can also engage the abs sitting in a chair with the back away from teh back of the chair (or on a bench), and lean from the hips to the head back in a straight line (1/2 plank) leaning BACK and then coming back to upright. All will engage the belly and not cause problems with the back or neck!

Re: pullups...our gym has an assisted machine. I love it. You are on your knees and you have the weight stack on how much "help" you want. I want all the help I can get so I try to "pull up" 40# of my bodyweight and the weight stack takes the rest. It allows you to go through the proper motions, but not have all that weight to pull up. :-)
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #1177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shelly - Stephen Guyenet (obesity researcher, writes a paleo blog, has a PHD in neurobiology from University of Washington) has written a series of articles on potatoes. He notes that Voigt's metabolic biomarkers improved and his blood sugar dropped. He also writes about cultures that eat primarily potatoes and incidence of diabetes is low. Voigt (Washington Potato Commission) at 20 potatoes a day for 60 days in an attempt to prove potatoes are not harmful after WIC disallowed potatoes. He didn't know he was going to lose weight. He was surprised and a little alarmed that he was dropping weight rapidly and after 3 weeks had to eat beyond appetite to try to keep his weight up, but still continued to lose weight.

Guyenet believes it works for weight loss because the diet is unpalatable and it is hard to eat enough to maintain body weight.

I need to see if I can find the forum posts on Sisson's site. Apparently, some people following Mark's Daily Apple tried it and started quickly dropping weight.

I just read that he apparently ate the skins and a lot of prepared then refrigerated potatoes (resistant starch). I don't know what resistant starch means exactly. I've heard of it and read lightly about it before; sounded like voo-doo. I just happened to bake a ton of potatoes and stuck them in the refrigerator. If there is some benefit, great, but I find it hard to buy that. I just did it because cooking one at a time is just not practical.

I will be cautious, but I am intruged now. I hadn't heard about different inflammatory effects of different varieties of potatoes. Thank you for the tip. I realize I am taking a risk. I'm weighing out short-term detriments vs. long term benefit of weight loss. I'll do this for a short time, 30 to 60 days, if it works out, then switch to paleo diet proper.

I've eaten 7 yellow potatoes today. That is only about 700 calories. I could eat maybe one more, but I'm just going to go bed. Weird, but it is only day 1. I expect I will be more hungry tomorrow, but I wasn't today, except for a short time after I ate 3 potatoes for lunch. I forgot about poking potatoes with a fork and 3 exploded in the oven, so I ate those 3. Er, parts of those 3, I guess, that didn't hit the bottom of the oven. I think eating just one a time is better. I ran around shopping, cooking, and housecleaning today.

I need to find my liver pills. I am worried about iron, B12, vitamin A, selenium. I might drink almond milk for calcium and vitamin E.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-20-2013 at 03:06 AM..
Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #1178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't eat an 8th potato. I drank one cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk for calcium, vitamin E and went to bed.

8 am. Fasting glucose is 84. I have never seen a fasting am number so low. The lowest number in my history is 103. Usually, my am fasting is around 120 but will into the 130s if I eat a big meal the night before.

I am floored. I was actually scared when I woke up because I felt different.

?

Last A1C was 6 with getting into some holiday eating mischief. Before that 5.6 . Last insulin reading was very low 2 (that went with the A1C of 5.6; I didn't get an insulin level this month). My A1C readings used to be in the 9s, but that was when I was around 300 pounds.

Morning weight 211 (yesterday 213). I expected nothing yet, maybe an increase due to replenishing glycogen stores or something, but I only salted one potato at dinner yesterday, so it is no doubt water.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-20-2013 at 09:13 AM..
Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #1179
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
KT -- wow. I'm very interested in your experiment.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #1180
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
KT -- wow. I'm very interested in your experiment.
Me too!!!!!

This is fascinating....and no, I hadn't heard of that study at all. My problem is that potatoes are great as long as they are baked with lots of salt (ie., fries) or else lathered with butter. I assume that these methods are not allowed?

Plain cooked potatoes...that's all. I don't think I could even do it for a day! It will be interesting to see how you do though.

My Ha1c was 5.8 and doc said it was great. Yeah right....surely it's normal for a person with 107 fasting BG when they consume no fruit, no sugar and carbs were only veggies and under a total of 20g/day for about a year! Hmmmm.

So....good luck with 30-60 days doing this...and yes, if you find the link, I'd love to read some of it....but I still can't get my taste buds to think about potatoes without butter or tons of salt!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #1181
Senior LCF Member

Weekly weigh/measure day.

Well, one week of not testing and eating moderately and what I felt like eating (still saying VLC and not doing BPC and fat bombs and such) had me with a .4# gain (not even 1/2#) and my measurements were funny. Bust, waist, abdomen were all smaller. Hips/butt were larger and thigh was the same. I didn't think I'd get any worthwhile results, but I needed a break, so I just went for it. I'll be back on track this week and hope for true changes....still waiting for my books to arrive!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #1182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Key Tones what I experienced when my blood glucose levels started to come down was almost a "oh I'm low" kind of shakiness. It was just my body adjusting from what it thought was normal (but actually high) to what was really normal (80-85). It didn't really take long for my body to wise up and realize that the new numbers were actually good!

Hope your experiment works...keep us posted

Shelley glad you enjoyed your break and didn't suffer any terrible consequences. Sometimes I have to admit I just get sick of the whole darn thing and I would just like to eat what I want. Not going to try that anytime soon...but I do sometimes think about it.
Mobear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #1183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=shelley;16208030]Me too!!!!!

This is fascinating....and no, I hadn't heard of that study at all. My problem is that potatoes are great as long as they are baked with lots of salt (ie., fries) or else lathered with butter. I assume that these methods are not allowed?

Plain cooked potatoes...that's all. I don't think I could even do it for a day! QUOTE]
Ha! That's why Stephan Guyenet thinks it works. Unpalatable, so you can't eat enough of them to keep your weight up. He thinks this lowers the fat setpoint.

Voigt ate 2 tablespoons of oil per day on advice from dietitian. I'm taking fish oil instead, just krill oil, but not 2 tablespoons worth, so I won't be cooking up ways to make oven fries or anything. I would rather use 200 calories toward obvious deficiencies. I'll keep non-potato foods below 200 calories.

I'm not advocating the diet. It could be hazardous/dangerous if your kidneys are not healthy because they have to excrete a LOT of potassium. Voigt states this on his blog and on the Jimmy Moore show. It has nutritional deficiences. This is temporary.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-20-2013 at 06:30 PM..
Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #1184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Key Tones what I experienced when my blood glucose levels started to come down was almost a "oh I'm low" kind of shakiness. It was just my body adjusting from what it thought was normal (but actually high) to what was really normal (80-85). It didn't really take long for my body to wise up and realize that the new numbers were actually good!

Hope your experiment works...keep us posted
Thanks. Ah, yes, I hope it starts to feel normal soon, and stays normal!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #1185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Good luck, Keytones. There are some potato hack threads on the JUDDD board; several people there have done potato days, and there's a lot of discussion of ways to cook the potatoes and how just eating potatoes kills appetite. The women on the JUDDD part of this board couldn't be nicer or more supportive of others, and if you read through the potato hack threads and post yourself, I'm sure they'd be happy to give advice and support--even if you aren't alternating calorie up/down days.

Here's one of the threads: A DD Hack
Here'a another: Potato fast! Who's with me??
Ah, I couldn't find the potato hack thread - I see it now. Thank you for the links.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #1186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fasting glucose today: 100, little activity yesterday as opposed to on my feet all day the prior day. Went 15 1/2 hours without eating prior to the 100 reading. Maybe that is why it is higher? Not sure, but it is still an unusual low for me. i'm down a lot this morning. Another 4 pounds, so now I'm 207. It has to be water. I think I'm dehydrated. I will add more salt to potatoes (I've been lax).

I stayed up all night reading paleo forums and blogs. I had forgotten that I had seen some of this potato fast posts pop up before. I thought the Free the Animal guy had lost it when he started blogging the hash brown diet, and I saw Peter at Hyperlipid post what he thought was the mechanism behind the weight loss, which scared me off thinking about it at the time.

I can't mention Richard Nikoley/Free the Animal without a warning; he is vulgar. Anyway, apparently, he is going to post his weight loss numbers at the end of this month. He has been posting recipes and pictures of his food. They include small amounts of fat (1 tsp per potato), meat like a condiment (sprinkled with bacon, for example), and stewing potatoes in broth. He is eating liver, I gather. That does seem safer.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-21-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #1187
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
K.T. , I hope you continue to have good results and continue to share with us.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #1188
Major LCF Poster!

KT, if you are going to eat something other than potatoes, liver seems like a good choice. I know that some of the JUDDD folks have been eating potatoes cooked in homemade chicken broth, and that would give you some more nutrients and flavor. Try to drink a lot of water, too, and salt your potatoes. Stay well, keep tracking your blood glucose levels, and keep us informed.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #1189
Senior LCF Member

KT...this is a most interesting trial you are doing, and we are all anxious to hear how it turns out.

I did a one day trial yesterday. I had bacon/eggs for breakfast. Lunch was a BLT+PB sandwich...yes, TWO pieces of bread (Udi's gluten free) and about 2 TBSP of (don't yell) honey roasted freshly ground peanut butter, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce. And then the PB tasted so good I had another 2 TBSP. Had a lindt 90% chocolate square for dessert. Was hungry later so had a "snack" of a fat bomb. Later a fast fast jello/HWC/Cream cheese thing ( 200 cal and all fat) and then dinner was chili with kidney and black beans (HIGH carbs!!!) and some shredded cheddar on top. Woke up to a 1# loss on the scale.

Reminds me of when I was in my late 20's and worked with a gal...we walked at lunch and were always whining about our weight...she was 5'7" and probably 120 soaking wet and I was 5' 5-1/2" and about 110#! Oh how I wish I could be that skinny again. Anyway, we tried exercise at lunch and then settled on walking over to the department store where they had a candy counter...we would each buy 1/4# of candy...for LUNCH!!!! And walk back to the office. We lost weight!

So....I have no clue what type of body I have at this point! I can't remember who wrote that they wanted to just stop all the obsession with weighing, measuring, tracking and such (I'm there right now!!!!) and eat what they wanted.....I did yesterday and instead of gaining (2 bread, PB which I NEVER eat!!!!) I lost weight. I think my body is in shock!... ha ha
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #1190
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
KT...this is a most interesting trial you are doing, and we are all anxious to hear how it turns out.

I did a one day trial yesterday. I had bacon/eggs for breakfast. Lunch was a BLT+PB sandwich...yes, TWO pieces of bread (Udi's gluten free) and about 2 TBSP of (don't yell) honey roasted freshly ground peanut butter, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce. And then the PB tasted so good I had another 2 TBSP. Had a lindt 90% chocolate square for dessert. Was hungry later so had a "snack" of a fat bomb. Later a fast fast jello/HWC/Cream cheese thing ( 200 cal and all fat) and then dinner was chili with kidney and black beans (HIGH carbs!!!) and some shredded cheddar on top. Woke up to a 1# loss on the scale.

Reminds me of when I was in my late 20's and worked with a gal...we walked at lunch and were always whining about our weight...she was 5'7" and probably 120 soaking wet and I was 5' 5-1/2" and about 110#! Oh how I wish I could be that skinny again. Anyway, we tried exercise at lunch and then settled on walking over to the department store where they had a candy counter...we would each buy 1/4# of candy...for LUNCH!!!! And walk back to the office. We lost weight!

So....I have no clue what type of body I have at this point! I can't remember who wrote that they wanted to just stop all the obsession with weighing, measuring, tracking and such (I'm there right now!!!!) and eat what they wanted.....I did yesterday and instead of gaining (2 bread, PB which I NEVER eat!!!!) I lost weight. I think my body is in shock!... ha ha
Congratulations on that one pound loss, Shelley.

It is very crazy-making that we can't tell what is correlation versus causation, in terms of our behavior and what happens with the scale. Was that drop caused by your change in what you ate--or was it coming anyway and in spite of what you ate? Especially since we know that the scale can fluctuate for no obvious reason--so is a drop or rise "real" in terms of losing fat or just a water shift?

Oddly enough, I find it rather comforting to think about what I'm eating and track it with JUDDD, even when my weight bounces up or stays put. I know whether it's a down day or an up day, and how many calories I'm supposed to eat on each of those, and how many carbs and calories to allot myself (maximum). So long as I stay with the nutritional ketosis/JUDDD approach, I don't have to strategize, I just have to follow the rules--which, of course, may not work in terms of weight loss for me at a given point. For the last few weeks, I've dropped, bounced up a few pounds, and am slowly approaching my drop point again. I know that I sometimes lose better if I shake things up by changing my approach, but I'm nervous about changing much. Maybe I'll try an egg or egg-and-fat fast pretty soon, but I don't dare step outside of the NK/JUDDD parameters .... though I am watching Key Tones' potato hack with a lot of interest ...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #1191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shelley - that has happened to me, too. I don't know what the mechanism is for eating up and dropping a pound, but if I could bottle it...I can't make that recur much!

Sven - yes, I would eat liver if I could stomach it. I went to the mexican grocery store and kind of freaked out looking at the various options. I think I will just supplement with egg yolks and smoked oysters. I can't find my liver pills, but I vaguely remember getting rid of all the large vitamins and supplements because I almost choked on one, and I don't think my cat can perform the hemlich maneuver, so...

Man, day 3, and my appetite is GONE. I mean, gone gone. I had SF vanilla almond milk in coffee this morning, two potatoes with balsamic vinegar for lunch (weird, I think I need to get the malt vinegar, I've never done that so I don't know the difference). I had a cup of chicken broth for salt. I made chocolate avocado pudding to put in the freezer do something with my avocados before they rot and tasted each batch to check the sweeteners because I put a little lemon in each to preserve them. I ate 1/2 an egg yolk cooked in butter and gave the other half to the cat. I ate 2 level tablespoons of pot roast, gave some to the cat (not my cat, it hates tablefood, but a cat I am watching this weekend) and I'm going to have to freeze the pot roast too since my daughter didn't eat much of it and went back to her dorm tonight.

That's it. It's 11:16 and I don't feel like eating another potato, still. Technically, this was not a potato diet day, I just don't feel like eating. The thought of a potato is NOT appealing. I doubt I cracked 500 calories today.

It's not like the high fat ketosis feeling. I was out shopping today and didn't think about being low energy. I don't feel cold. I feel...fine. Oh, and I found the most beautiful soap dishes at Goodwill! I haven't been able to find any I like before this. I'm going back to bar soap. Anyway...

Surely I will be more hungry tomorrow when I hit work. I'll bring extra potatoes with me. I looked at potato recipes; soup doesn't sound good. Microwave chips kind of sounds good, but I had those yesterday. I bought some Furikake (the stuff you sprinkle on sushi) to see if that might help me eat some potatoes tomorrow. I have some potatoes to get through; I bought a 15 pound bag of yucon golds for $2.50 at the mexican food grocer!

I guess I have shocked the system.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-22-2013 at 12:40 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #1192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

...and thank you all for being interested in my experiment!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #1193
Major LCF Poster!

If you hate liver, then egg yolks and smoked oysters seem like a good alternative. Thanks for continuing to report on your experiment. How are your blood sugar levels doing on the potato hack? Do you find chicken livers difficult to take, also? I love them sauteed in butter, but that's just me.

Malt vinegar seems to be a popular accompaniment to potatoes among the JUDDD potato hackers. And it's a classic accompaniment to chips (fried potatoes) in Brit cuisine.

Another possible flavoring would be Gomasio (a mix of salt, sesame seeds, and sometimes garlic powder, available in the Asian section of grocery stores). I find that a sprinkle of that makes boiled eggs less boring to eat, and it might work with potatoes, too.

Here's a thread with recipes for potato hacking, from the JUDDD board:
Potato recipes. DD

Last edited by svenskamae; 01-22-2013 at 02:15 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #1194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sven,

So far, so good on blood sugar. This morning's fasting blood glucose reading was 88. I didn't eat much yesterday. 100 the day before; maybe because I had turned one to glue in the vitamix, overcooked two, and peeled half of them, and didn't exercise at all. Not sure. I'm sure I'll figure this all out - I'll have a lot of data points soon.

I can see how this fits well with JUDDD. Morning weight 207; I think I have hit the dehydration/water loss low. Now, I wait and see what happens over the next 30-60 days.

Woke up hungry, so I happily ate two potatoes this morning!!!

I'll check the recipe link, thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #1195
Senior LCF Member

OH my gosh KT I am just LOVING your posts. Mostly I am shocked over a variety of things. First of all 15# of yukon golds for $2.50! Yikes....they are over $1# where I am so you should be in potato heaven!

Amazing the bg readings are going down down down with potatoes. So much for the "carbs raise glucose readings" theory!

Not to worry about the "eating up and losing 1#" thing....I got it back (the #) this morning. ha ha

Loved that you were hungry this morning and were happy to have 2 potatoes. By the way. potato soup is wonderful....if you are allowed to put chicken broth and milk/cream. I used to make it all the time when we lived in India.....potatoes were easy to come by.

Keep us updated. Very very interesting!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #1196
Chatty Cathy

Yes, I agree with Shelley on your posts K.T. - fascinating. I am wondering what the mechanics are that are at work. I don't think we can dismiss the notion that carbs raise b.g.. I think that is pretty well established.

I do think it not surprising necessarily, that fasting b.g. is normal (after all it is without food in the system and not being in ketosis means no physiological insulin resistance) but wonder how b.g. levels are post meal? Have you already shared this K.T.? Sorry if I missed it.

Very interesting stuff K.T. - as always! Would love to hear your take on what is happening!!

It seems similar to a study that was done in post surgery diabetic patients who had gastric bypass and their diabeties (not all ) 'got cured'. It is a subject that is multi-fauceted and really fascinating.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 01-22-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #1197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

RE: mechanism - the heck if I know! I am confused. I have the Furman and MacDougall books. These are plant/low to no meat diets, both low fat I believe (it has been years since I have looked at these diets), but they are not about potatoes. They both claim to reverse diabetes, and I have read people have reversed diabetes on these vegan-like diets. Perhaps the potato effect is similar? I don't know.

Peter/Hyperlipid explains, but I don't really understand it. The only thing that sticks with me is that my liver apparently is functioning; if it wasn't it wouldn't work.

Hyperlipid: Potatoes and weight loss (1)

I haven't done the one and two hour post-meal glucose checks. I haven't done that for so many years, I don't have any comparable data to offer. I suppose I should. I will admit I don't want to look too hard for reasons not to do this, but you are right, I should know. I wanted to give it at least a few days anyway for my body to adjust. I know MacDougall claims it takes a few weeks on his plan to resolve diabetes.

Today: I was hungry this afternoon, but I was at work and it was not convenient to eat at 2:00 (I ate lunch at 11:00). I think it was 3 or 3:30 when I had more potatoes, but the hunger had mostly passed by then. As I was walking home, I felt that distinctive metal-mouth feeling of ketosis. I have heard that any low calorie diet in the range of 800 calories is ketogenic, but I don't know if that is true. It certainly felt that way at the time. I was not hungry at all, but by 7:45 I decided to eat because I don't want to end up starving at midnight. I want to have a really long stretch of no-eating, because apparently that is when weight loss occurs.

Two potatoes for breakfast, two for lunch, two for snack, dinner was one potato - "microwave potato chips" plus one egg yolk and one ounce of pot roast. Condiment level sprinkles of fukimake and chia seeds. A little unsweetened almond milk in coffee this morning. These are small potatoes, per the bag 110 calories each. Calorie estimate for the day: 970.

I feel fine and not hungry.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-22-2013 at 10:21 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #1198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh I forgot about the Mexican market - I ended up there because I wanted to go to Dollar Tree to look for $1 umbrellas. They didn't have any, but no matter, I love going to Goodwill to look for Spice of Life corningware and other things. It is next to Saar's Market Place. I could not believe my eyes on the yukon gold potato prices! Cheaper than Costco. Unfortunately, this is no where near my house. I'll spend $5 in gas to get $2.50 in potatoes for that bargain...too bad!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #1199
Chatty Cathy

KT, nice to get a sketchy understanding of how the potato diet works. Thanks for the link. I like reading the comments because it helps illuminate the message a bit. I learned that little trick from AuntieEm (which by the way I haven't seen in a very long time....anyone know where she went?)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #1200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy--OK, I checked my two hour post-meal glucose this morning.

Fasting: 85

2 hour post-breakfast potato (ate one large potato, which was almost as large as two potatoes: 121

As I recall, I used to get the biggest reaction to carbs in the morning. It is a big jump, but 121 is within acceptable range.

I haven't seen AuntieEm either! I remember that she said the comments shed light on the topic. I do miss her. I'll look around the threads.

I take back what I said about warming up. I am back to being very cold all the time and very cold sensitive. Sigh.

I'm going to do my uphill biking tonight. Yep, in the dark, but just around my neighborhood. We have street lights, which is unusual in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-23-2013 at 10:26 AM..