Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: deMuralist
Stats: 289.8/270/160
WOE: JUDDD with EMF
Start Date: October 2012
Mobear, did they check the LDL sizes? My memory is that sometimes on VLC the nice fluffy LDL go up and that is ok, because it is the Very Dense LDL (VDLDL) that cause a problem. There is a fantastic blog healthydietsandscience.blogspot.com/ in which he lists, nearly daily, scientific studies regarding cholesterol and its effects on health.
deMuralist is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Thanks for the link deMuralist I've added it to my favorites . Yes, after several misteps I did have a VAP test done. I do have Pattern A which is some comfort.

What I discovered in my reading, however, is that these tests are highly variable and unpredictable. Mark Sisson's blog described an experiment where a group of volunteers had blood drawn and samples were sent for VAP test, NMR, and 2 others. The test results were wildly different - no standardized results. Also, the same test repeated with the same lab and test type can give different results. So, I'm happy it is Pattern A, but not sure what that really means to me.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I don't think there is any evidence cholesterol numbers have any relation to heart disease in a women.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

I agree, in the series of research that is reported in that link you can see that even if the numbers are reliable, having low cholesterol is not associated with good things. I don't let my doc do the test anymore.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naeemah74
Stats: 167/152/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 3, 2012
Just a question (so don't give me this look ) but does everyone exercise?

I'm asking because it may help move the scales, it'll definitely help with toning, and the benefit that I LOVE the most is the happy endorphins (serotonin or whatever) that exercise releases. And I just found out that as long as you don't exercise more than an hour at a time it won't increase your cortisol. Even when the scale isn't moving I feel... good. Exercise always makes me feel good and it helps to remember that my appearance isn't the only part of me that I want to improve but also my heart health, etc and mental well-being. I can imagine all of the eyes rolling right now , but if you're not exercising regularly maybe give it a try.

Last edited by Naeemah74; 05-03-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Naeemah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

I do 30 minutes every morning, moderate walking on a treadmill, I watch a movie the boys are not interested in. then I try to make sure I do at least another 1 1/2 to 2 hours a week in the yard. Try to do 5 hours of gentle movement a week. also shooting for 10,000 step daily average, eventually getting to 12,000 to 15,000 daily.

I will say that studies do show that it does not make you lose weight, although there are a kagillion (ok maybe only a kabillion) reasons to do it. But, you gotta wanna do it, otherwise it is just added stress.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I spent 1 1/2 hrs with a chainsaw and a down limb Tues. Yesterday I spent 2 hours carrying cut up branches and logs to the wood pile and burn pile. Does that count?

Today I was mowing for 2 hours and tomorrow I need to do 1 1/2 hrs trimming.

For the weekend, I need to do some weeding...MAJOR weeding. It is really bad. Stupid weather.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naeemah74 View Post
Just a question (so don't give me this look ) but does everyone exercise?

I'm asking because it may help move the scales, it'll definitely help with toning, and the benefit that I LOVE the most is the happy endorphins (serotonin or whatever) that exercise releases. And I just found out that as long as you don't exercise more than an hour at a time it won't increase your cortisol. Even when the scale isn't moving I feel... good. Exercise always makes me feel good and it helps to remember that my appearance isn't the only part of me that I want to improve but also my heart health, etc and mental well-being. I can imagine all of the eyes rolling right now , but if you're not exercising regularly maybe give it a try.
I'm working on the Primal Blueprint Fitness plan currently. I have never had much success sticking to any particular exercise over the long haul. In 2010 I started running with Couch to 5K in May of that year, and ran my first 5k in October. By the end of the year, I just stopped running regularly. In 2010, which is when I was losing weight, I was losing slowly but steadily before I started running in May. I continued to lose at the same pace while I was running, and my stall began just before I quit running regularly. For me anyway, I don't think exercise helps me lose body fat.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Re: exercise. I had 1 knee replaced in 2010 and 1 in 2011 so I was doing rehab last year and walking about a mile a day plus parking further out and increasing my walking in general. I did that until the end of January 2012 when I was completely exhausted all the time and stalled with weight loss for 6 months. Back about 15 years ago I was walking several miles almost every day....never noticed any improvement in weight loss so I don't think it really makes a difference for me.

About the LDL: I don't believe in the lipid hypothesis but when my results were so out of sync with what most LC people post I became very concerned as to what would cause this for me. Both my parents died in their 50's from heart issues. My mom passed away nearly 40 years ago from more or less uncontrolled diabetes and all its complications so these issues are very important to me.

Anyway, I am convinced that this is probably thyroid related and may also explain my extremely dry skin/hair/eyes/mouth; total lack of energy which started in December and seems slighly improved now. I'm trying to heal myself by keeping my carbs around 30 total per day. If I can find an endo who will work with me that would probably be a miracle

I feel like something weird this morning for breakfast so I'm having chicken rice soup! Using Miracle Rice - which I love, leftover chicken, and some broth.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #100
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Mobear, I agree with you about the exercise in terms of weight loss. I am a walker and currently do 45 to 60 mins. daily but in the winter more like 30 mins. I have been stalled through all seasons and the walking makes no difference in that respect.

I woke up today with the notion that I am giving up. Giving up on trying to lose for now. I have tried everything that makes any sense and am tired. I have yet to see anyone report a stall (of this magnitude) break due to dietary changes. I am beginning to realize it is something else that for the moment, is beyond my control.

I see my p.c.p. next month and will study up on thyroid issues so I can speak to him in a intelligent way and see if I can persuade him to help me in that regard. In the meantime ... ???

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

I am wondering if the continuous stress of trying to lose weight is inhibiting my ability to lose weight. I am just taking it easy right now. Just eating well, working on strengthening my body, and being kind to myself and enjoying life. I'm just not going to worry about it for a while. This is quite a mental shift, though. We shall see what happens. In a little while I'm going to Trader Joe's to get some low-carb delectables
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
I think the stress in my life is the biggest reason that I am not losing. Twice in my life I went up 20 or so pounds and could not lose. Then when I got rid of the stress I lost very quickly without even trying.

I just can't get rid of my stress anymore... I married one of my biggest stressors.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
I think the stress in my life is the biggest reason that I am not losing. Twice in my life I went up 20 or so pounds and could not lose. Then when I got rid of the stress I lost very quickly without even trying.

I just can't get rid of my stress anymore... I married one of my biggest stressors.
Amen sister!

My current game plan is to figure out how to NOT let it get to me, but that can be stressful too!?! Meditation helps a little, a frozen margarita helps more
Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #104
Chatty Cathy

My sister put it to me this way...

It is kind of like having a injury to a limb (or any body part) and with the right care, it will heal and become functional again but it could take quite a lot of time and it may not return fully.*

In Life Without Bread, it is written that it could take up to 8 yrs. to heal some people with ulcerative colitis. I think this may be similar to degrees of metabolic disorder. The message being (in my opinion), is to continue using the right fuel, in the right amounts and in time, hopefully things will improve.

And be sure your thyroid is not the issue!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

ooo, interesting about the Ulcerative Colitis, I have it (diagnosed 18 years ago) and had not ever been told to even consider this WOE.

I have been asymptomatic off and on for the last 12 years, so not a big issue, but good to know this WOE is likely helping matters.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #106
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist View Post
ooo, interesting about the Ulcerative Colitis, I have it (diagnosed 18 years ago) and had not ever been told to even consider this WOE.

I have been asymptomatic off and on for the last 12 years, so not a big issue, but good to know this WOE is likely helping matters.
You are most certainly on the right track. There is a ton of info out there about the benefits for those with colitis, Crones and ibs.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning to my bouncin buddies, as I've come to think of this group

I am also married to the biggest stressor in my life. No chance that will change, but it is not easy!

Quite a while ago I read somewhere on the forum about Relora being used for stress/sleep problems. Netrition sells it, but it is a NOW brand so I imagine it is available locally. Anyway, I've been taking it for several weeks and it does seem to help reduce the whirling anxiety in my brain - particularly at bedtime.

I've never taken prescription antidepressants, but the Relora does give me some help. I'm not a doctor, so be sure to read the info before trying it.

This evening will be a challenge as we are going out for Chinese. Beef and broc will probably be what I have. No rice, eggroll, or soup. I'll scrape off as much of the gravy as I can, and hope for the best.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

How's everyone doing today? Let's talk about maintenance, since being in a stall is physically the same thing, let's see if we can deal with it better mentally.

Complete this sentence, "when I get to maintenance, I'm going to ........."

When I get to maintenance I'm going to have a small slice of birthday cake at parties and not stress about it. (because a. this is the only time I eat cake and b. I do not have "tale spin" issues with food).
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

I'm always going to be a diabetic, so somethings I will always have to avoid. However, when I get to maintenance I am going to my favorite Italian restaurant for my favorite chicken dish and ordering the Italian Wedding Soup with tiny pasta noodles. I love the soup, but always worry about the carbs, but I will just order it and be happy
Old 05-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #110
Chatty Cathy

When I get to maintenance, I am going to buy some new clothes.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When I get to maintance, I am never,never,never going to gain more than 10 lbs!!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

I like these!!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:12 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

When I get to maintenance, the only thing that will be different is the number on the scale.

I already allow a planned cheat a week and I buy clothes as I need them.

I think of the losing period of life as practice for the maintenance part. So I am making sure that what I do is something I can keep up for life.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
deM --like the way you think !

When I get to maintenance I will not EVER go over 125 again !!
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #115
Blabbermouth!!!

How are my fellow stallees doing today? I'm just bouncing around between 149 and 152, practicing maintenance
It's quite warm today and I'm really looking forward to this summer and some pool time, and being off work (I teach college) so I can focus on my fitness goals. I am thinking about giving Leptin Reset a try next month.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still here. Trying to stay on track.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

When I did the Leptin reset I found a few sets of changing rules, so I did some research and picked the 5 rules I saw in most of the literature and just focused on being 100% compliant with those and shut out all the rest of the noise. I never really had the symptoms Dr. Kruse describes except for obesity though. And obviously I still have that one, I did learn things about myself though.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #118
Chatty Cathy

I am still here as well and 'maintaining'.

deMuralist, I wonder if you might share your 5 rules for leptin reset. I did attempt this in the fall but found the rule around the amount of protein too difficult.

Question: anyone try using berberine. My d.s. has been doing some research and came up with this as an alternative to metformin. From looking at the description, it seems we should all be taking this given the incredible benefits.... Here is a wiki link...

Berberine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

RULE 1: Keep 3 hours before bedtime food free
RULE 2: Eat 3 meals a day, no snacks
RULE 3 : Eat to satisfaction, not stuffed
RULE 4: Eat a high protein breakfast soon after arising-trying to get 50g protein within the 30 mins. after waking up
RULE 5: Carbs between 25 and 50

I finally resorted to doing a smoothie for breakfast. I use Jay Robb chocolate whey powder which is 25g a scoop and I used 2, then I used 2T of Great Lakes bovine gelatin at 6g each, so that gave me 62g of protein depending on what I drank it in. I tended to make coffee the night before and chill it, then used it as the base for a mocha, with the above ingredients and some HWC. Dr. K suggests against both whey protein and HWC during a reset but the other sources didn't. And I don't care for food in the morning.

Truth is I don't deviate much from the rules now. I only get about 40g of protein for breakfast now, and don't drink the smoothie until after I do my morning walk. And my net carbs are closer to the 50g mark and then I was doing 25g straight not net. But other than that I kept the habits.

Last edited by deMuralist; 05-09-2012 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: grammer
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #120
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Still here. Still bouncing between a few lbs :/
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote