Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #1141
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
That made me
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #1142
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, I guess that 2 lbs was water due to TOM because it inexplicably disappeared overnight. It's been several months since I was actively trying to lose weight again, I guess I forgot how this goes. It seems very familiar now. I now remember complaining before how I couldn't lose anything the week surrounding TOM.

The kids are off at school and DH is at work, so I guess I will go do some cleaning. I also need to get my syllabi prepped, so I will start work on that later, too. I hate having to get started on that stuff because it means my break is almost over. The Spring semester is closer than it appears. lol
Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #1143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'm glad that water weight whooshed away, Speck. Good luck with your syllabi preparation; when that pre-semester time rolls around, I'm always happy that I'm NOT teaching now, since I always found that prep work very stressful.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #1144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Speck - glad it was nothing!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #1145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Yay on the 2# being water......and "ah yes"....the yo yo on the scale thing is so typical. I'm up another 1# and by tomorrow's scale reading I'll be down again. Up and down and up and down. Glad you lost it though!! :-)
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #1146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had to get rid of the bacon. I found myself snacking on it again last night.

It sucks when you can't have so many perfectly legal LC foods around! It has come to this!!! Good grief, I don't know what would happen to me if I ever succumbed to the dark side--and eat the really bad stuff.

On the upside, I found a solution after a hard afternoon. Although I had eggs/broccoli for breakfast, avocado for lunch, and then chicken broth with butter, I just could not get satisfaction. THen, I tried chia seeds I had forgotten about in my desk in a cup of coconut milk. Wow, finally, satisfaction! I have felt good all afternoon and evening now.

I'm ordering more! Thank you for suggesting - I've forgotten which one of you did for inflammation
Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #1147
Senior LCF Member

I've heard both good and bad about chia...so hope your new experiment works for you.

I also have to be really careful about bacon...think that might have been my downfall as well. Now I only "allow" myself one slice every couple days and so far it's okay.

I also lost that 1# gain from yesterday, so I'm back where I started, which is now "only" 2.5# higher than when I started NK eating and testing 4.5 months ago! Arrrggghhhh.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #1148
Major LCF Poster!

Keeping my fingers crossed that those pounds lost are just the start of more losses, Shelley. It's so heartbreaking to try so hard and find that nothing is working ... Try to give NK and testing more time, and focus on the benefits of getting healthier.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #1149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed that those pounds lost are just the start of more losses, Shelley. It's so heartbreaking to try so hard and find that nothing is working ... Try to give NK and testing more time, and focus on the benefits of getting healthier.
Hi Svenska.....well, last night I had a cup of chili (I made it) and had it with beans!! Yup, I did. But it was 22 g carbs and 10 were fiber, so I just decided to do it (still waiting for the Skaldeman book) and not do any blood testing for anything for a bit. To back off thinking about food, measuring and weighing and use my head to just "know" what is good and not good. But that chili was spectacular...and I slept well too, and woke with that 1# loss.

I was talking to DH about my eating and he said to just "enjoy life" and eat in moderation and obviously do not do grains or sugars and see what happens.

I also stopped the splenda, drops and SF flavorings in coffee. I am now just having herbal tea and found an unopened bottle of nustevia??? It has erythritol in it along with the stevia. It's VERY nice. It's OLD! I found it in the back of the cupboard and don't even know if it's still made.

Anyway, I'm going to stick to this "plan" of just enjoying LC eating and moderate fat (not having high fats at all, so they are in the 65-75% range naturally for how I eat) and we'll see what happens for Sunday's weight/measure! Wish me luck!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #1150
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Good luck Shelley..it is so hard to know what to do when nothing really seems to work . Maybe a break from stressing about it will actually help.

I weighed in yesterday at 188.4....slightly lower but still not at my stats weight. The protein is now under better control, but still higher than before Christmas and the fat is too high. Without the high fat I seem to be terribly hungry. Water has helped some, but my furry friends are starting to worry about their kibble

Key Tones sorry you had to ditch the bacon. I'm not eating it at home right now because I easily eat way too much. On Sunday mornings I eat at a buffet with a friend and usually have 3 pieces and it is so good! I was using chia but could only eat chia gel which I put in my coffee. I should probably do that again and cut down a little on the early morning coconut oil a little.

I simply couldn't eat chia seeds that weren't in gel form or I had severe bowel distress

Good morning Cathy and drjlocarb!! Hope you are both doing well. Speck333 I am glad those #s disappeared. It is always good to see you posting

Last edited by Mobear; 01-18-2013 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #1151
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Morning all! I am doing ok. I started my very low dose of synthroid last week and immediately gained a couple of lbs.. This, I found very depressing.

As of yesterday, I am back to where I started which is 1.5lbs above my stall weight. I have to remind myself, that I have not regained my weight - I have not regained my weight, ..... you know, self therapy..... Things could be so much worse.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #1152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning all.

Well, I have proof that I belong in the stall thread. I am up 6 pounds, completely wiping last week's 5 pound loss and have a pound to spare. Apparently, I only lost water last week, and probably with me starting up biking again (sore thighs) ate too little protein. Really, no wonder I freaked and overate protein - I think I broke out of ketosis and the hunger hit me between the eyes. I am probably up a bit from salty bacon too.

Sigh.

I'm glad you all were discussing the keto calculator and protein requirements - I think I did undershoot and it boomeranged on me.

<Wipes tears, takes deep breath, renews commitment, starts again>

I will not give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #1153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy--I know you already know because you research things...I only lightly know from my husband taking it that it takes weeks (or a dose change) to kick in. I think you will see results after some time.

Shelley, all--hang in there!

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-18-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #1154
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Good luck Shelley..it is so hard to know what to do when nothing really seems to work . Maybe a break from stressing about it will actually help.

I weighed in yesterday at 188.4....slightly lower but still not at my stats weight. The protein is now under better control, but still higher than before Christmas and the fat is too high. Without the high fat I seem to be terribly hungry. Water has helped some, but my furry friends are starting to worry about their kibble

Key Tones sorry you had to ditch the bacon. I'm not eating it at home right now because I easily eat way too much. On Sunday mornings I eat at a buffet with a friend and usually have 3 pieces and it is so good! I was using chia but could only eat chia gel which I put in my coffee. I should probably do that again and cut down a little on the early morning coconut oil a little.

I simply couldn't eat chia seeds that weren't in gel form or I had severe bowel distress

Good morning Cathy and drjlocarb!! Hope you are both doing well. Speck333 I am glad those #s disappeared. It is always good to see you posting
OK...I"m trying to learn now to do the "multiple quote thing" so hope it works.

There is chia powder or something (I used to buy it) and it's easy to get down.

I did not look at all at my macros or what I ate yesterday. I just listened to my body and ate what I wanted and was not terribly hungry. Gained .4# which is okay...the up and down see saw for me is frustrating, but it's the way it's been going since I started all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Morning all! I am doing ok. I started my very low dose of synthroid last week and immediately gained a couple of lbs.. This, I found very depressing.

As of yesterday, I am back to where I started which is 1.5lbs above my stall weight. I have to remind myself, that I have not regained my weight - I have not regained my weight, ..... you know, self therapy..... Things could be so much worse.
Cathy...the synthroid takes 6-8 weeks to get into the body and then learn to convert to T3 (Synthroid is T4) for energy and helping you feel good enough to be exercising or moving around more...i.e, that "metabolism" thing.

I'm up 3# from my stall/low weight of 4.5 months ago. It's frustrating, but I'm not thinking about it now until Sunday after the weekly weigh/measure for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Good morning all.

Well, I have proof that I belong in the stall thread. I am up 6 pounds, completely wiping last week's 5 pound loss and have a pound to spare. Apparently, I only lost water last week, and probably with me starting up biking again (sore thighs) ate too little protein. Really, no wonder I freaked and overate protein - I think I broke out of ketosis and the hunger hit me between the eyes. I am probably up a bit from salty bacon too.

Sigh.

I'm glad you all were discussing the keto calculator and protein requirements - I think I did undershoot and it boomeranged on me.

KT...I'm right there with you!!! Up/down/up up up....and I have been lowering and lowering my protein...under 40 for the last 3 days before "giving up" on recording and just listening to my body. I am determined to have this work, but needed a break and then I'll be back with gusto. I have about 6 boxes of the ketone strips and want to make good use of them, so I'll start again on Monday...want this week to be a "test" without recording.

However, big step this morning...wrote this on another thread on the NK site... I am part of a "marketing" company I guess you would call it in order to get a good deal on a wonderful "age reversing" facial program. Anyway, they have all sorts of stuff and I was given samples of their anti-oxidant stuff which is liquid and some special fruity stuff (I don't know the names and haven't heard of them before). I've had the daily packets (about 2 TBSP of the juices) for over a month. Took one finally as they've just been sitting and doing nothing. Within 15 minutes I started feeling poorly and then my vision started having white lightening through it and everything was "mirage-y" and it was scary. I took my BG and it was 135...not good!!!! So, it took a good 30 minutes of drinking lots of water and some herbal tea with HWC before the vision returned to normal. NO MORE fruit for me!!!!

Quote:
Cathy--I know you already know because you research things...I only lightly know from my husband taking it that it takes weeks (or a dose change) to kick in. I think you will see results after some time.

Shelley, all--hang in there!
Yes yes yes..KT is right about the time it takes to really notice anything with regard to thyroid....unless it contains T3 which is noticeable instantly, but you are not getting any T3 in Synthroid so it will take 6-8 weeks before you notice. And I do hope that the doc will retest at that point to see where your levels are.....I tested every 8 weeks for years to finally be optimized. Now it's once a year for me as I'm really stable. When I tested last week, it was the first time in 18 months or so that I changed my dosage. Up the tiniest amount possible!

Hang in there......I will too!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #1155
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I'm so excited...it worked (multiple quotes). So exciting to learn something new and have it be successful!!!!! I get very happy over the simplest things in life.....Hubby calls me "Simp" because of this.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #1156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Hi all!

I feel we are all in a big pot of water and someone is stirring us in circles.

I have been testing ketones every day and some nights.

since Sunday, Jan 6th, the numbers look look this;

Lo, Lo, 0.5, Lo, 0.1, 1.0, 0.5 = Jan6-12

0.7, 0.6, 0.4, 0.2, 0.5 = Jan13-18

Weight hanging around 239-243.5, in no particular order, rhyme or reason.

All we can do is use what we have learned last year, trust what we KNOW, and keep on keeping on.

I see no reason to change anything for a few more weeks.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #1157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shelley, that is way too scary!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #1158
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Hi all!

OH my...isn't that the truth! I was having the same type of thing when I started with the ketone testing.....only did one PM test and it was 1.5 I think. But all morning readings were .3 to .9 consistently...in and out of ketosis no matter what I did...and eating "right".

I like being in the pot with all of you though!!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #1159
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I agree...seems to be gone which is good. Something in that anti-oxidant concoction was not my friend....or too much fruit sugars? It was scary and hubby was not here.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #1160
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi Svenska.....well, last night I had a cup of chili (I made it) and had it with beans!! Yup, I did. But it was 22 g carbs and 10 were fiber, so I just decided to do it (still waiting for the Skaldeman book) and not do any blood testing for anything for a bit. To back off thinking about food, measuring and weighing and use my head to just "know" what is good and not good. But that chili was spectacular...and I slept well too, and woke with that 1# loss.

I was talking to DH about my eating and he said to just "enjoy life" and eat in moderation and obviously do not do grains or sugars and see what happens.

I also stopped the splenda, drops and SF flavorings in coffee. I am now just having herbal tea and found an unopened bottle of nustevia??? It has erythritol in it along with the stevia. It's VERY nice. It's OLD! I found it in the back of the cupboard and don't even know if it's still made.

Anyway, I'm going to stick to this "plan" of just enjoying LC eating and moderate fat (not having high fats at all, so they are in the 65-75% range naturally for how I eat) and we'll see what happens for Sunday's weight/measure! Wish me luck!
I think deciding not to stress out about it is a good step right now. When I was all over the map with dieting, and I mean DIETING, in 2011, if I had only taken that route instead of the "whatever" route, I would still be stalled and maintaining rather than up as much as I am right now. I think we underestimate how much stressing out about it undermines our efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post

one step forward, two step backs it seems sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

That is depressing. But you're a very rational person, and you won't let this get to you.

Quote:
Good morning all.

Sigh.

Never, never, never give up! Just keep swimming...

Quote:
Hi all!

I have been testing ketones every day and some nights.

since Sunday, Jan 6th, the numbers look look this;

Lo, Lo, 0.5, Lo, 0.1, 1.0, 0.5 = Jan6-12

0.7, 0.6, 0.4, 0.2, 0.5 = Jan13-18

Weight hanging around 239-243.5, in no particular order, rhyme or reason.

All we can do is use what we have learned last year, trust what we KNOW, and keep on keeping on.

I see no reason to change anything for a few more weeks.
Funny, and sad, analogy. But we're swimming in this pot together at least!

Quote:
Yes, very! Wow. Sorry you had to go through that Shelley. But glad it turned around and you know now what not to do.

---
The whoosh fairy visited again last night and I dropped another 1.5 lbs. I'm hopeful but not too excited. At 163, I'm still a good 10 pounds from my previous stall weight. I hung between 148 and 153 most of 2012 before I "gave up". The lowest I ever saw was 145 at the end of 2011 when I first started JUDDD, but it was fleeting and I never saw it again. I'm sort of hoping that if I can get the momentum of losing going, I'll blast right through those previous numbers and just keep going down, down, down!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #1161
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sorry that so many of us on this thread are going through such frustration. I've been stalled a bit on NK/JUDDD lately, but I'm optimistic that things will get moving down again eventually. Knowing that so many here are hanging in and not giving up helps me not be bratty about my stalls of a few weeks.

Might I ask whether anyone here has been tracking measurements as well as weight on the scale, and seen improvements there even when the scale didn't cooperate? That seems to be reported fairly often on the main board, and I was wondering if any of the stalled ones here had experienced some success like that? Or success in terms of clothing getting looser?

I'm doing a lot of resistence and stretching exercises lately--a short DVD session in the morning and a longer one at night--and have noticed that I am getting stronger and getting a little bit of muscle definition in my generally weak and flabby arms. I think that's a good thing, even if the scale is stuck in one place, so I'll keep that up for at least the next 6 weeks. Maybe by March it will be possible to walk outside in Minneapolis without being miserable, and I'll substitute some long walks instead.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #1162
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
The whoosh fairy visited again last night and I dropped another 1.5 lbs. I'm hopeful but not too excited. At 163, I'm still a good 10 pounds from my previous stall weight. I hung between 148 and 153 most of 2012 before I "gave up". The lowest I ever saw was 145 at the end of 2011 when I first started JUDDD, but it was fleeting and I never saw it again. I'm sort of hoping that if I can get the momentum of losing going, I'll blast right through those previous numbers and just keep going down, down, down!
How wonderful for such a good whoosh!!!! Keep on swimming in the down down downstream direction!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'm sorry that so many of us on this thread are going through such frustration. I've been stalled a bit on NK/JUDDD lately, but I'm optimistic that things will get moving down again eventually. Knowing that so many here are hanging in and not giving up helps me not be bratty about my stalls of a few weeks.

Might I ask whether anyone here has been tracking measurements as well as weight on the scale, and seen improvements there even when the scale didn't cooperate? That seems to be reported fairly often on the main board, and I was wondering if any of the stalled ones here had experienced some success like that? Or success in terms of clothing getting looser?

I'm doing a lot of resistence and stretching exercises lately--a short DVD session in the morning and a longer one at night--and have noticed that I am getting stronger and getting a little bit of muscle definition in my generally weak and flabby arms. I think that's a good thing, even if the scale is stuck in one place, so I'll keep that up for at least the next 6 weeks. Maybe by March it will be possible to walk outside in Minneapolis without being miserable, and I'll substitute some long walks instead.
I have had a Sunday weight/measure session for probably 10 years...maybe more. Am I a fanatic? Nope, but it keeps me sane and in line. I'm not one of those that can weigh once a week. But to answer your question about the tape measure. I have had the same situation with the tape as the scale. Up, down, up down, but mostly "up".

OK...here's what I'm doing now. Finally got the used Al Sears book P.A.C.E. from 2007? Got it on ebay. Anyway, the book is awesome. I read all the pertinent parts for "starting" today. It's got 3 things...for lung capacity/health, for heart health, and then for losing fat and gaining muscle! My eyeballs perked up on the last. The technique he uses is the exact same "cardio" portion I used on Body for Life when I was 30# less than I am now. I am so excited as it's pretty darned "easy". No more weights. No more cardio classes. Just about 20 minutes 3 times a week. I wasn't sure what worked for me before, but if this was the "trick" that did it before (2-3 days a week), then I'm all over it! I'm starting tonight! I will keep you updated!

Wouldn't it be grand if this was the "trick" we all needed...and something easy to do...no gym membership required, no hours of working out, etc. I'm pretty excited that this might be the ticket for me...and us.....time will tell.

But yes...I have gone UP a pants size and am not happy about it. My weight is within 3# of where I began, but I am "bigger".
Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #1163
Chatty Cathy

Shelley - it took me ages to learn to do that very same thing and it wasn't as if I weren't trying. In fact it really bugged me until I finally learned how to do it so CONGRATS!!

Drjlo, excellent progress for getting into the zone!! Are you also checking blood glucose? I am going to be stopping the glycosolve very soon and will be doing my n=1 experiment in reverse. Would love to know if N.K. has any effect on your fasting b.g.?

Sven in regards to inches lost or gained - well, I can tell you I have worn out pants at this stall weight and when the scale goes up or down much, I already know because my clothes get tighter or loser accordingly. When most people talk about stalls, they are referring to the 2 monther or even 4 monther but not years.

Speck, very encouraging news. I keep threatening myself to change up my little bit of walking to some strength training but can't seem to get it to happen. I am willing to try but am not sure what it is that you got?

Thanks K.T. and Shelley for the encouraging words on the thyroid meds. I feel fairly certain that this tiny dose will do nothing to help and it will be another battle to get it upped but I have a plan so we will see. Interestingly, I went back and looked at a blood work panel that was done in the spring prior to restarting Atkins and at a time that I was gaining weight rapidly. My TSH was out of range by quite a bit. It seems that going low carb improved that for some time but always pushing the upper range. Had free T3 tested last May and it was pushing the low end but still 'within range'. I need to have this retested I think. I am finding the thyroid issue is presenting a real learning challenge for me and there is so much conflicting information. My pea sized brain is hurting.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 01-19-2013 at 06:54 AM..
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #1164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Speck, too cool! I hope you are heading in the right direction.

I don't measure. With this much fat, the tape can lie with just a bit more pressure than last time.

I ran out of glucose strips and had to several places to find one with a reasonable price. They were $35 on the internet and all the name brand places wanted $50. When I said no, they told me to talk to my insurance co. I don't have a prescription. The locally owned pharmacy had them for $36. I have been testing for the last several days and sill high at 103-112. That tells me I am no where near keto-adapted yet.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #1165
Chatty Cathy

Are you sure they (b.g. and ketosis) are that closely related? I am in ketosis and taking glycosolve and I think my readings are still a bit high considering all. I will see what happens when I stop the glycosolve. Did JM ever mention if he went back on or not?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #1166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

RE: Exercise - it helps me because I have insulin resistance. If I walk every night, just simple walking, it does help. I know the research does not bear out that it causes weight loss. Certainly it is the diet that is key.

I think exercise is better known for maintaining weight loss and helping people like me with insulin resistance.

RE: measurements - I tend to lose weight in spurts. Nothing really changes in between the spurts. My body has enough flab that I can get wide variances in measuring. Maybe if I got into tight neck-to-knee shapewear and marked spots or something. Not worth the bother.

Weight loss has happened very slowly for me with low carb, and I concerned now that it only seems to happen when I do something extreme. Or when something bad happens. Some things upset me to the point where I can't eat. Sometimes it starts out with me eating too much but tends to settle into me being unable to eat much of anything.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #1167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy, I don't know for sure. Do we know ANYTHING for sure?

I had normal, 80-90, fbg when I added carbs and was not eating a ketogenic diet, so I ASSUME, that if they are normal then, I might be producing too much glucose. I am sick right now, but, when I feel better, I am going to try very high fat for a few days and see what happens.

I don't think Jimmy is taking it now, but I thought he said somewhere that he was going to start again. It could have been someone else though. I read so many blogs trying to decipher all this NK info, so I could be wrong.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #1168
Blabbermouth!!!

Cathy, I aim to follow the Primal Blueprint Fitness guidelines, but I'm not consistent. Right now, all I manage to do is squats, pushups and planking, and little bit of yoga-like stretching. It takes about 5 minutes, but it's working. I am getting stronger, and as I do, I add more reps and difficulty to the movements. Go google "primal blueprint fitness" and you will find more information as well as instructional videos by Mark Sisson.
Currently, I do 40 squats while I brush my teeth in the morning, then I do 10 knee-push ups (about ready to up that to 12), and about a minute and a half of planking. I just leveled up, there, increasing my time. But I started with 10 squats, 5 pushups and 30 seconds of planking. You just work your way up. Mark also describes and demonstrates the modified versions of all the moves for people who aren't so strong... I think I can do ONE regular push up, and I can't do a pull-up to save my life.

I can't ever seem to find the same place twice to do measurements.

KT, have you thought about intermittent fasting? Some women have reported it really gets things going. Others not so much. But your reported experience with unwanted fasting might indicated you would respond positively to it.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #1169
Senior LCF Member

Good morning all.....great posts. KT.....walking is the best exercise there is!!!! It doesn't cause "weight loss", but it does keep the body and joints moving and the most important is that it does NOT cause inflammation like nearly all the other exercises do! So, keep up the walks! I use the elliptical in the same manner as walking....I have horrible knees and hips, so the elliptical is not "weight bearing" for my joints. I walk in the summer when it's warm and with neighbor women (about 7 of us if we all show up) and 2 dogs. But winter it's the elliptical, but now done in "spurts" of energy and cool downs in order to build up lungs and heart.

I LOVE the idea of a lycra bodysuit with all the markings of where to measure! That idea is a money maker!!!! But how hysterical would that be...you'd have to pull here and there to get the markings to line up with what? The marks/Tattoos???? on the body....or just get little tattoos??? I have moles that I use for my "parallel" levels to the floor. Works for me!

I just got my latest order of ketone strips today in the mail. Now I have boxes..60 strips. I have about 100 of the glucose strips. But I'm not testing for a while. I'm doing my own "experiment" for at least another day.

Cathy...can't wait to see what happens to your reverse n+1 experiment on giving up the glycosolve. I tried the berberine for a while and stopped...can't even remember why. Didn't make a note of that. Also, it took many years for me to understand the thyroid stuff....one day it just clicked! But it was over a year of researching, reading several hours a day for every day.

Bottom line is that if you are on meds (you now are), your TSH will go below 1. Mine is .01!!!! Doctors are horrified if they have no training in thyroid! FT4 should be 1/2 way in the range or a bit lower. And FT3 should be 2/3 to 3/4 of the range...all the way up to the top, but NOT over the top.

You might want to pop into the thyroid section of LCF and ask for a doctor in your area. Someone will no doubt be able to give you some ideas of who knows how to properly treat and Rx where you are. Canada is hard....but so are many areas of America.

drjlocarb....I found 2 pkgs of 50 strips (total of 100) on ebay...that was a while ago. Have you checked them? They usually list for "buy me now" or 5 day auctions so you have to keep checking in the search engine for them.

Have a great weekend everyone....we'll be watching football tomorrow and I'll get on the elliptical for each of the games and do my 20 minute workout...one AM and one PM. Makes it easy to do when the mind is occupied with something else.

OH...the book also says "weight training" is the body weight...no hand weights, no machines, etc....those are a "recipe for injury" he said. The body weight is doing squats and lunges....as much as you can do and as low as you can go. With my rotten knees and hips, it's not lowering far at all, but the muscles in teh quads, hamstrings and butt are still engaged...and that's all that matters. Not holding onto anything for balance is good for the body, but I have to hold on because of my injuries...so I just suck in my belly and lift my head so that my spine is really really straight, and just do what I can.

Let's all go forth and break these stalls! Yup...years is so true vs a couple month stall like the books say. I'm with you on that!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #1170
Senior LCF Member

drj...our glucose readings seem to be nearly identical in what happens. If I add in veggies, the glucose levels go DOWN and the ketones do as well. If I have under 10 carbs, the ketones will be up a bit, and the glucose is always over 100. And I've been trying to keep under 50 g of protein (5' 5-3/4" tall) which is way too low...and the glucose readings have been 116 or so. So, I agree...we really don't KNOW anything.

I'm sorry you are feeling bad...hope you get well soon. I'm with you on doing a few days of a fat fast to get back into ketosis. Want to do it at the same time and post our readings? After you are well!!!!

Speck...the exercises you just described are the ones in the PACE book for your "own weight" bearing exercises. I have never been able to do one pushup and got 30 seconds of planks when doing them daily (per the personal trainer I went to for one week for 4 weeks). But I got injured doing an assisted pull up! Careful of situps if you have any spine issues. I have osteopenia (fake term) and don't do crunches any more. But I do leg lifts that target the lower abs...and do lie on my stomach and alternate arm/leg lifts and reaches in opposite directions. All work the core without damaging the spine.

I'm so impressed that you are doing so well with all the exercises that you are doing. I'll google Sisson's program and see how it compares with the 2007 book I just got.

Great plan!!!! And wonderful progress you have made!!!