Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #1081
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
Hey everyone, nice to see you all...sorry for the quickness of this note (exam is looming in the morning!).

How did the scale get moving again? Very, very low carb, IF and low calorie. Man that sounds awful seeing it like that but it does not seem so bad to me when I DO it
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #1082
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Good morning....reporting that the 1.5# drop I saw is mostly gone..up 1# this morning. Phooey. Fasting b/g was 114 (standard these days) and ketones were .3 which has been the norm too...started at .1, then .2 and now I've been .3 for a few days with one .4 in there. None of which puts me into ketosis. My protein has been low and fat high. I'm hanging in there.
What are your numbers as far as carbs, cal, fat, and ptn grams? And height and weight because I am too lazy to go back and find that info.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #1083
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Howdy everyone

the 165 stuck today. Good news for me!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #1084
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like, at this time, everyone at least has a plan and doing well!

We have come a long way in 1 year.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #1085
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'm glad to see you back, Shelley. If you want to read more of the Skaldeman book, I could xerox what seem like the most helpful bits (I've got access to free xeroxing at work); send me a private message if you want that to happen. Skaldeman has 3 separate plans with various degrees of carbs allowed, and I imagine the stalled ones here would be interested in the one for people with the greatest difficulty losing weight.

I hope that you can find the NK tweaks that work for you and get your thyroid on track. And it does seem like a lot of what's required for NK to start burning fat is to stick with it, though it's really hard when one's body takes weeks or even several months to "get it" that it should burning fat!
Thank you so much for the welcome and also the offer to xerox pages from the book for me. I think I'm going to just buy it along with the pre-order of his recipe book that he's doing this year. I assume that we are in the 8 category of the plan? Or the 4...see, I already forgot what I read. I did like his idea of totalling the carbs and proteins to make sure the the grams of fat were higher than the total of the carbs/protein. Easy!!!! I was also told a while back that the protein should be 1/2 of the grams of carbs. But we are all different, so who knows. I just know I have not found the combo that works for me yet. Hopefully soon!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #1086
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Hi Shelley! Ah, how well we know the ups and downs of weighing...

OK, I am down more weight this morning. Now I'm only 1 pound above my posted weight, so I no longer feel my stats are a lie. Although I started hitting it hard last week, just suddenly in the past few days I am down five pounds. I hope it is not just Erythritol dehydration! It should have worn off by now. IF you ever have a critical weigh in, you have a tip here....good grief that stuff makes me drink and go even more, seriously. I found someone else posted about it:

About Sugar Alcohol
•Cons: Large doses (over 50g) of this sugar alcohol can cause hives, stomach rumbling and nausea. And as with all sugar alcohols, it increases urination and thirst.
Giving up dairy has driven me to use more spices. I've been sprinkling curry powder on my food and drinking thai and other spiced tea that has cinnamon in it because coffee with no cream is, well, no fun. I found that putting a sweetened (splenda) curry powder on eggs gives me a similar satisfied feeling as does cheese on eggs. PLain eggs leaves me searching around for something more to eat.

I have heard that curry and spices can help diabetes and weight loss.

Perhaps this is the key to what is going on with me lately. No dairy, lots of spices on lots of vegetables and fat (cauliflower/butter or eggs/broccoli combinations).

Hmm.

We'll see if this continues to work.
KT...you've done great to have lost a pound, or is it 2??? Good going! Take it!

Speck...glad you "held" with your loss. That's the most important thing to me. My "deal" with myself is that I can count it as a loss when I have held for 3 days....a game I play with myself to make sure I don't blow it.

Interesting about the dairy being eliminated KT. I've toyed with that too, but just can't seem to give up my HWC, cheese and buttah! I love my butter. I went to Costco on Tuesday and Costco had the Kerrygold. Was $6.99 for three packages that cost me $5.99 per package at the local store. What a deal. So, I'm set for a while.

I wonder what the big difference is of Erythritol vs Xylitol? I had a recipe for 3 different sweeteners that was a great combo...I need to go find it. It has lo han, xylitol and sooooolite???? or maybe another one. I'll post the combo when I find it as it was very sweet and wasn't "sucralose".

OK...reading more.
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #1087
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Thank you so much for the welcome and also the offer to xerox pages from the book for me. I think I'm going to just buy it along with the pre-order of his recipe book that he's doing this year. I assume that we are in the 8 category of the plan? Or the 4...see, I already forgot what I read. I did like his idea of totalling the carbs and proteins to make sure the the grams of fat were higher than the total of the carbs/protein. Easy!!!! I was also told a while back that the protein should be 1/2 of the grams of carbs. But we are all different, so who knows. I just know I have not found the combo that works for me yet. Hopefully soon!
I really do think the book is worth buying; I like the recipes in the original book, too, which are highfat/lowcarb but not fussy about exact measurements. And my family background is Swedish (hence, the svenska in my board name), so the recipes seem like things I grew up eating.

One of the most useful things in the book, IMO, was his acknowledgement that some of us have to stay with the plan for a long time before we start to lose. I think he said that he started losing after about 4 months, but it could take some people 6 months or more. That's hard, but we are all determined women here!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #1088
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
What are your numbers as far as carbs, cal, fat, and ptn grams? And height and weight because I am too lazy to go back and find that info.
Hi drj.....I've been all over the place based on Rebecca Latham's numbers for me, then Kristn's and then Reddarrins. Very confusing to have them all be so very different.

OK....I'm 5' 5-3/4" tall.....and I weighed in this morning at 159.6#

When I started I was doing about 1200 calories and 47g of protein. 75/20/5 or so and nothing happened. Then Reddarrin told me that the protein was right and my calories should be something like 1900-2200 (which, as you know, I agree with you as that being ridiculously high). I did the online counters and they agreed with his numbers which shocked me. But I only raised them to 1600-1800 tops....mostly 1600. When I raised them from 1200 to 1600, I saw a drop on the scale...for 2 days and then it went back up.

I never have more than 20 grams of carbs (5% or so, but sometimes as low as 2%). Nothing changes...I still gain.

My fat grams have ranged from 100-150 or so. I have tried higher protein, higher calories, lower protein, lower calories, you name it. I tried each "combo" for a week or so...probably not long enough, but my weekend weigh/measurement has been going up up up. I started this in late August (after years of Atkins '72 with the ladder only going up to a 8 raspberries on occasion!), and was 157.2# when I started.

I did Body For Life 2 years ago with exercise and nonfat eating. I was 138# when I stopped. Geez....it just got tedious to do nonfat as my endocrine system was not happy.

So....sorry...got a bit sidetracked.

Fat....about 80% and usually close to 140 grams
Protein....currently doing 60 grams....15%
Carbs....under 20 grams and about 5%

Occasionally my fat will be higher and then protein drops a bit.

Got any thoughts??? I sure don't. OH...and my ketones are .3 almost every time I test. Blood glucose (fasting) is anywhere from 98 to 120.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #1089
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
KT...you've done great to have lost a pound, or is it 2??? Good going! Take it!

Speck...glad you "held" with your loss. That's the most important thing to me. My "deal" with myself is that I can count it as a loss when I have held for 3 days....a game I play with myself to make sure I don't blow it.

Interesting about the dairy being eliminated KT. I've toyed with that too, but just can't seem to give up my HWC, cheese and buttah! I love my butter. I went to Costco on Tuesday and Costco had the Kerrygold. Was $6.99 for three packages that cost me $5.99 per package at the local store. What a deal. So, I'm set for a while.

I wonder what the big difference is of Erythritol vs Xylitol? I had a recipe for 3 different sweeteners that was a great combo...I need to go find it. It has lo han, xylitol and sooooolite???? or maybe another one. I'll post the combo when I find it as it was very sweet and wasn't "sucralose".

OK...reading more.
Oh, 5 pounds down since last week. I actually started hitting it maybe 10 days ago but weight loss only showed up in the last few days. I was up to 212 due to holiday eating, now I'm back down to 207. I'm weighing in weekly on the google spreadsheet posted by the skinny honeybadgers thread (Amber). Amber, Nikki, and Sara are there--we used to be on the 300+ daily weigher thread. It is comforting to see people that were here two years ago sooooooooo much lighter. Amber and Nikki have both lost 150+ pounds. Nikki is somehow doing weight watchers and losing weight eating oatmeal and such (!!!) Seriously, she got down into the 160s or something before the holidays. Amber is low carb and does hard core workouts. She got down below 200 before the holidays.

Xylitol - I have looked into that before. I am a *heavy* user, so I can't use it because it has a higher carb/calorie count. One cup of erythritol had 40 calories. One cup of xylitol has more than 10x that - 460 calories! One cup of granulated sugar has 774 calories. I use a lot of Splenda and sometimes mix other sweeteners but have't been interested until I found the avocado chocolate pudding recipe! Now I must have that.

THe link below has the info:

About Sugar Alcohol

I just looked at lo han - I am afraid of fructose after watching Lustig's videos!

I have tried many, many times to drop the dairy. I just could not do it so many times. I think I transitioned my dairy addition over to caffeine and spices and now cocoa powder. Gosh, I have to have *something.* I have known for a long time that something else would have to go, and I have known deep down that this would have to be the cheese because I eat more of it than I should.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-11-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #1090
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I really do think the book is worth buying; I like the recipes in the original book, too, which are highfat/lowcarb but not fussy about exact measurements. And my family background is Swedish (hence, the svenska in my board name), so the recipes seem like things I grew up eating.

One of the most useful things in the book, IMO, was his acknowledgement that some of us have to stay with the plan for a long time before we start to lose. I think he said that he started losing after about 4 months, but it could take some people 6 months or more. That's hard, but we are all determined women here!
You are such a doll!!!! I am determined bigtime to keep going as I remember you being the one early on that got the book and mentioned that it could take 6 months. The intro I read said it could take up to a year! So, I'm staying the course as I do enjoy this way of eating and it's easy for me.

I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant about 10 years ago and a friend told me to give up ALL grains, so I've had no problem doing that other than the very very rare piece of toasted Udi's gluten free sandwich bread (Thanksgiving turkey sandwich!). But that's once a year!

How fun that you are Swedish and can relate to the foods so nicely. I'm Norwegian/German/English as my background. Love the name svenska!

I'm going to check out amazon for macadamia nuts, so will order everything at the same time more than likely.

OH....if anyone wants to get some Nova Max ketone strips, CVS pharmacy has them on sale now for 25% off. They do it every now and again and I've missed the sales every time, but got 3 boxes (which gives you free S&H) this time. Other than not losing weight and inches, I would have told others that I had to be in ketosis as I'm doing all the right things. I know that being in the keto adapted state where you are burning fat is the best thing for me. I just wish I could get there! I was .5 to .9 when I lost 2#, and then went out of ketosis and gained it and more. But not eating differently, so have no clue. I think I need to stick with one plan for maybe a month (lower protein) instead of only a week???

I really am happy that drj invited me to join in with the rest of you positive thinking and determined women. Thank you for welcoming me. Speck... thanks for starting the thread!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #1091
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, 5 pounds down since last week. I actually started hitting it maybe 10 days ago but weight loss only showed up in the last few days. I was up to 212 due to holiday eating, now I'm back down to 207. I'm weighing in weekly on the google spreadsheet posted by the skinny honeybadgers thread (Amber). Amber, Nikki, and Sara are there--we used to be on the 300+ daily weigher thread. It is comforting to see people that were here two years ago sooooooooo much lighter. Amber and Nikki have both lost 150+ pounds. Nikki is somehow doing weight watchers and losing weight eating oatmeal and such (!!!) Seriously, she got down into the 160s or something before the holidays. Amber is low carb and does hard core workouts. She got down below 200 before the holidays.

Xylitol - I have looked into that before. I am a *heavy* user, so I can't use it because it has a higher carb/calorie count. One cup of erythritol had 40 calories. One cup of xylitol has more than 10x that - 460 calories! You can see what would happen to me. I use a lot of Splenda and sometimes mix other sweeteners but have't been interested until I found the avocado chocolate pudding recipe! Now I must have that.

About Sugar Alcohol

I have tried many, many times to drop the dairy. I just could not do it so many times. I think I transitioned my dairy addition over to caffeine and spices and now cocoa powder. Gosh, I have to have *something.* I have known for a long time that something else would have to go, and I have known deep down that this would have to be the cheese because I eat more of it than I should.
Five Pounds!!!!! How fabulous...excuse my insult of 1-2! FIVE!!!!

Now you are making me want to give up my dairy, cheese, HWC, cream cheese clouds and just stick with the fat bombs for sweets. I'm not a chocolate person and love avocado's so won't ask you for the choc pudding recipe. I wonder if stopping the dairy is the trick for you. I have been told that I'm lactose intolerant, but I don't bloat eating the butter and HWC like I used to drinking 1% milk! Yikes....yup, did that.

I am not on other forums, and only go to the NK ones here and this one. Otherwise I would never get off my derrierre! But how great that the others you know are also losing...interesting on the different methods.

I got down to my low by doing nonfat and eating oatmeal and having "shannycakes" with oats and such.....did great with the inches lost (went down 2 pants sizes in 2 months!!!), but my endocrine system did not like it at all.....women need fat to make their hormones work properly...at least that's what all the people say whom I really trust.

Hmmm....I may have to re-think my dairy. Or at least lower it and see what happens.

My best weightloss and ketone readings days are when I do the Atkins fat fast! Yup...true. When I do 90% protein and 1200 calories, I drop a bit and ketones go up. Conclusion? More fat than 80%????
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #1092
Senior LCF Member

Ooops...thanks for the link about the sugar alcohols! My favorite one is the liquid EZSweets. No filler in that (which is what has carbs). I am not baking anything, so onlyl use the powdered splenda for DH's goodies/protein bars/waffles (yup, he can do gluten and not gain or have any issues...NOT fair!)
Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #1093
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Xylitol - I have looked into that before. I am a *heavy* user, so I can't use it because it has a higher carb/calorie count. One cup of erythritol had 40 calories. One cup of xylitol has more than 10x that - 460 calories! One cup of granulated sugar has 774 calories. I use a lot of Splenda and sometimes mix other sweeteners but have't been interested until I found the avocado chocolate pudding recipe! Now I must have that.

About Sugar Alcohol

I just looked at lo han - I am afraid of fructose after watching Lustig's videos!

Woohoo for those 5 pounds lost!!! I'm really happy for you, Keytones. I also really like your point about how heartening it is to see the progress of others who have had a lot to lose and have hung in there and made a lot of progress.

I'm planning to do a dairyfree month this spring, but I'm really dreading it and hope that it either pays off a lot or is just a temporary experiment. Thanks for suggestions on coping with that.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #1094
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Shelley! I really do think that the only way to evaluate an approach like NK is to do it for a while. But you could stay NK and combine that with 3-4 weeks without dairy. (For me, that would mean eating a lot of olive oil, nut oil, avocadoes, full-fat coconut milk, coconut butter, macademia nuts, olives ...)

You could also do NK in conjunction with JUDDD, which is what I'm doing now. JUDDD isn't for everyone, but it is working well for me when done with NK. The 500 calorie down days scared me when I started, but they got a lot easier, pretty fast. For example, I got up at 6 am today, have eaten 2 cups of coffee with half and half and 2 hardboiled eggs, and feel great (energetic, clear-headed, happy) and only slightly hungry 11 hours later.

Most JUDDD up days on NK, I get 80-85 percent of calories from fat (and pretty much never less than 75 percent calories from fat). On down days, I eat so little that my protein and carb grams limits stay way under my personal limits for NK. I don't do the blood testing for nutritional ketosis, but I think my number are in the right range.

Or you could just stay with the NK approach, and give it more time ...

I hope you find a solution that works for both weight loss and good health for you.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #1095
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Wow, the thread was hoppin' today!

I'm doing ok, the scale bumped up a bit today. No clue why. I didn't eat much yesterday. It's either those danged hormones or the handful of popcorn I ate, and it would be the salt because there weren't more than 6 carbs worth.

Shelley, glad you are here. I'm also glad the others kept this thread alive when I was floundering.

KT, Xylitol kills my innards. Can.Not.Have.It. E, on the other hand, no problems.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #1096
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shelley - Ah, well, if dairy doesn't trigger you, you are probably OK. I know that cheese talks to me. I'm going to have to give it the candy treatment for now. I tried the spice trick before, but it didn't work. I think we have to try things multiple times in different ways because who knows what is really happening. Our systems are so complex.

RE: down 5 pounds - thank you. I am holding off on celebrating until I reach 199. I think the last time I was under 200 pounds was some time in 1990 for a brief few months. Before that would have been 1988! I have lost the weight in spurts with huge stretches of no losses in between since 2005. Usually no more than 15 to 20 pounds in one year.

Speck - Oh my gosh, inulin does a number on me. I can't believe other people can ingest it...Ugh! Maltitol, wow, what a traumatic experience! I bought some on vacation in one of those touristy, cute candy stores that sells candy by the pound. I never saw a warning label! This was many years ago before I knew anything about sweeteners. I had been warned by my doc about being "borderline diabetic," so I was trying to be good. I learned to read labels in a hurry!!!

Sven - Nikki is a fascinating case, I think. She works in a bakery. She lost a lot of weight on LC, as I recall. I lost track of her and when I noticed her again, she had lost a whole person and was on WW, dropping weight FAST on their plan.

Wow, I remember 224 and what a brick wall it was. Man...I thought that was going to be it.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-11-2013 at 11:22 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #1097
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Morning everyone. I weighed in at 188.4 on Thursday, so down slightly but still above my stats weight. Things seem to be slowly returning to "normal" with lower protein. I do think it is very likely that I will bounce around this weight for awhile - but better here than at 192-197!!

I absolutely agree that it can take many months to become a fat burner. I started lowering protein in July 2012 and didn't start losing weight until the end of October.

At the end of February I have an appointment with a DO endo and maybe she can help me sort out some of my exhaustion issues and sleep issues. I have felt for years that my cortisol is very high, but no doctor has ever been willing to test it. Maybe (I HOPE) this doctor will help me with some of these things.

Glad KeyTones that you are moving in the right direction! May you see 199 SOON!

Thanks to Svenskamae for the info on the Swedish doctor and the "may take 6months" because that helped me not give up.

Speck333 I hope you continue to inch down and can maintain your positive attitude.

Cathy and Drjlocarb I am glad you seem now to be in the NK zone and getting down to that pesky stall weight. May your downward journey continue.

Shelley I hope you can find your "formula" soon...I know how frustrating it is. I do have a question for you. Somewhere here or on the NK thread you mentioned not taking strictly T3 medication. Could you explain a little why that would be a problem? My free T3 is at the bottom of the lab range (but not out) so I am curious about your statement. Thanks a bunch!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #1098
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shelley, I put your stats through the keto-calculator, assuming goal weight at 130 with 20% fat.

It gives me 1370 cal
67 ptn, 117 fat

This will give you 2 lbs loss / month.

Eating 1600 cal,
you should lose 1/3 lb each month.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #1099
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

My best weightloss and ketone readings days are when I do the Atkins fat fast! Yup...true. When I do 90% protein and 1200 calories, I drop a bit and ketones go up. Conclusion? More fat than 80%????
I assume you mean 90% fat, not protein.

Maybe start with a fat fast until bk are in range and then slowly add your protein grams back up to 65-70 grams and 20 carbs which will add calories so you are closer to the 1370. During that time watch bk numbers and see how they change by adding carbs or protein.

I don't think you are going to see much in the way of results if you make a change for 1 week. I think it will take longer than that because you are closer to goal than I am. I will never be at 20% fat because I have lots of extra skin and large...umm...boobies. I figure I need to add 15 lbs to "normal" LBM because of these factors.

My main goal is to get into the keto adapted state and then change and tweak. I am starting by lowering protein and increasing fat.

Last edited by drjlocarb; 01-12-2013 at 07:06 AM..
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #1100
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
RE: down 5 pounds - thank you. I am holding off on celebrating until I reach 199. I think the last time I was under 200 pounds was some time in 1990 for a brief few months. Before that would have been 1988! I have lost the weight in spurts with huge stretches of no losses in between since 2005. Usually no more than 15 to 20 pounds in one year.

Speck - Oh my gosh, inulin does a number on me. I can't believe other people can ingest it...Ugh! Maltitol, wow, what a traumatic experience! I bought some on vacation in one of those touristy, cute candy stores that sells candy by the pound. I never saw a warning label! This was many years ago before I knew anything about sweeteners. I had been warned by my doc about being "borderline diabetic," so I was trying to be good. I learned to read labels in a hurry!!!
OK on the holding off on celebrating....but we are going to "party" when you get there!!! I still think you are doing great!

Maltitol is a recipe for living in the bathroom on the toilet! Sorry, TMI
Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #1101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Morning everyone. I weighed in at 188.4 on Thursday, so down slightly but still above my stats weight. Things seem to be slowly returning to "normal" with lower protein. I do think it is very likely that I will bounce around this weight for awhile - but better here than at 192-197!!

I absolutely agree that it can take many months to become a fat burner. I started lowering protein in July 2012 and didn't start losing weight until the end of October.

At the end of February I have an appointment with a DO endo and maybe she can help me sort out some of my exhaustion issues and sleep issues. I have felt for years that my cortisol is very high, but no doctor has ever been willing to test it. Maybe (I HOPE) this doctor will help me with some of these things.

Glad KeyTones that you are moving in the right direction! May you see 199 SOON!

Thanks to Svenskamae for the info on the Swedish doctor and the "may take 6months" because that helped me not give up.

Speck333 I hope you continue to inch down and can maintain your positive attitude.

Cathy and Drjlocarb I am glad you seem now to be in the NK zone and getting down to that pesky stall weight. May your downward journey continue.

Shelley I hope you can find your "formula" soon...I know how frustrating it is. I do have a question for you. Somewhere here or on the NK thread you mentioned not taking strictly T3 medication. Could you explain a little why that would be a problem? My free T3 is at the bottom of the lab range (but not out) so I am curious about your statement. Thanks a bunch!
Sure hope your new DO appt. will be a good one. My "test" for them is to ask in advance what tests they will run. If they won't run a 24 hour saliva test for cortisol/adrenals and a FT3 and FT4 test, then I don't make an appointment...and I ask if they Rx by TSH or what? That tells me quickly if they are "old school" or if they have paid attention to facts and are up with the program!

T3 only therapy is something that was "made up" by a few doctors...Holtorf Clinic being the biggie that started this RT3 craze....or the Wilson's Syndrome used by naturopaths. I was put on both programs from docs before starting to do my own research. T3 is wonderful for energy and well being, but too much is very dangerous for a woman. It has put people in the hospital with heart issues and also has caused a couple deaths. Bodybuilders use it often to get the fat off quickly...it really increases your metabolism and you feel like the energizer bunny!!! Feels great! But it also can deteriorate your bone mass, and cause heart issues...so it's good to stay at 2/3 to 3/4 of the FT3 range for the best outcome. If you are low, then you want to be on an Rx with T3 in it. Synthroid is T4 only, and most women are not good converters (the healthy body will convert T4 into the T3). AND....the Uptake and Total T3 tests are useless as ONLY the FT3 test will show what is in the body and able to be used by the body. Sort of like having a freezer full of meat to eat, but it's locked and you can't open the door. Sure, you've got meat, but it's not able to be used. Does that make sense?

I don't remember what you were put on, or IF you are on anything. But the other thing I wanted to say is that I noticed you are in Ohio, and that means NOT in Canada, so you can run your own tests. They are having a 10% off sale right now (January) for the Thyroid II panel at healthcheckusa and I just had mine done on Tuesday. Got my results Thursday morning. They are fast and it was $75.50. No doctors expense and that was for all 3 tests which is usually about $175 or more in a docs office.

Hope I answered your question...if not, ask again. And, I would call the DO office and ask them what tests they run, and what they Rx for hypothyroidism. That will tell you a lot without waiting.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #1102
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Maltitol = the devil
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #1103
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Shelley, I put your stats through the keto-calculator, assuming goal weight at 130 with 20% fat.

It gives me 1370 cal
67 ptn, 117 fat

This will give you 2 lbs loss / month.

Eating 1600 cal,
you should lose 1/3 lb each month.
WOW...that is not at all what I've been getting on the calculators I've used. The calories are all closer to 2,000!!!!! And 2 nutritionists who do NK and LC said to never go below 1600! No wonder I can't lose!

I am going to give this a try. Yesterday I followed Skaldeman's way of eating (only when you are hungry, and then not a lot) and consumed 1272 calories, 111.2 fat (81%), 22.3 carbs (7% which is the highest I've had, but had 1/2 of a grapefruit! Oh my it was heavenly...no fruit in ages for me), and then 37.3 protein (that surprised me!!!! for 12%)

My ketones went from .3 to .2 and weight was nearly identical in the last week...up and down the same 1# (my scale measures ever .2#)

Thank you for doing this for me! I'm going to try to follow that and see what happens!

On 1400-1600 calories I did NOT lose anything, but gained!!!! 1370 calories sounds like a more reasonable number to me! Thank you!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #1104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I assume you mean 90% fat, not protein.

Maybe start with a fat fast until bk are in range and then slowly add your protein grams back up to 65-70 grams and 20 carbs which will add calories so you are closer to the 1370. During that time watch bk numbers and see how they change by adding carbs or protein.

I don't think you are going to see much in the way of results if you make a change for 1 week. I think it will take longer than that because you are closer to goal than I am. I will never be at 20% fat because I have lots of extra skin and large...umm...boobies. I figure I need to add 15 lbs to "normal" LBM because of these factors.

My main goal is to get into the keto adapted state and then change and tweak. I am starting by lowering protein and increasing fat.
Oops..... ....yes, I meant 90% fat....

I'll try the fat fast until I get into ketosis. I think that's how I got in "once" for a few days...but only did the fat fast for 3-4 days and then was promptly "out" of ketosis when adding in normal foods. I'll give your numbers a try and would love it if they brought me results. I just ordered 3 boxes of ketone strips, so will do a 3 day fat fast and then test after 3 days. Not wasting more strips like this week...9 strips in the last 9 days and they ranged from .1 to .3 with one .4 along the way before going back down. .2 today.

I have noticed that when I have higher ketones, I have higher fasting bg...when it's lower (like today) my bg also goes down. I havent' tried having "fat" before bedtime as a "test"....I've heard CO won't let me sleep from others as it gives them energy. Don't know. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #1105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Maltitol = the devil
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #1106
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Shelley. I had testing done spring 2012 and about 1 month ago with almost identical results. I ran the second tests on my own through the method you mentioned. It took almost 3 weeks to get my results, and that was only after I called. Don't know what their problem was. TSH this time was a little lower, but in lab range. FT4 was a little low and FT3 was at 2.2 with low lab range of 2.0.

My pcp was reluctant to treat based on labs. The endo I used to see for diabetes also treats thyroid but goes basically by TSH. I am not currently on any medication.

The DO endo's medical assistant says she treats based on history, symptoms and not just the lab results. I mentioned to the medical assistant that I had never had cortisol testing or anything other than the thyroid panel and she said the doctor would most likely order tests for me. It is a shot in the dark...I can't really afford to spend thousands on this. If this doctor won't do anything I'll just try and find someone else my insurance will cover.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #1107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have noticed that when I have higher ketones, I have higher fasting bg...when it's lower (like today) my bg also goes down. I havent' tried having "fat" before bedtime as a "test"....I've heard CO won't let me sleep from others as it gives them energy. Don't know. Thank you!
I sometimes wake up hungry on JUDDD down day nights, and if I can't go back to sleep, I have 1-2 tablespoons of Artisana coconut butter. It kills my hunger and lets me go right back to sleep. I've been eating it for quite a few months, though, so I don't get the immediate energy boost I got initially on CO anymore.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #1108
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Thanks Shelley. I had testing done spring 2012 and about 1 month ago with almost identical results. I ran the second tests on my own through the method you mentioned. It took almost 3 weeks to get my results, and that was only after I called. Don't know what their problem was. TSH this time was a little lower, but in lab range. FT4 was a little low and FT3 was at 2.2 with low lab range of 2.0.

My pcp was reluctant to treat based on labs. The endo I used to see for diabetes also treats thyroid but goes basically by TSH. I am not currently on any medication.

The DO endo's medical assistant says she treats based on history, symptoms and not just the lab results. I mentioned to the medical assistant that I had never had cortisol testing or anything other than the thyroid panel and she said the doctor would most likely order tests for me. It is a shot in the dark...I can't really afford to spend thousands on this. If this doctor won't do anything I'll just try and find someone else my insurance will cover.
Getting a cortisol saliva test on your own, by mail, is going to cost less than $200, and may be as little as $60 or so. I think when the doctor I saw ordered it a few years ago, it was around $65; it's just 3 glass vials that you spit into according to the directions, label, seal, and send off to the testing lab.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 AM   #1109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Maltitol = the devil
...in the form of intestinal dynamite!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #1110
Major LCF Poster!

Drjlocarb I wonder if you could run the keto calculator for me? I've tried 3 times and it just won't work

Anyway I am 64

5'2
sedentary (walk some, but that is it)
Body fat - I figured it once by measurements and came up with 50% . Maybe 35% would be good enough for me! I've never had a dunk test, or dexa and probably never will.
I've come up with a HUGE range on calories. I tried the higher fat/higher calories before Christmas and gained 5#. I've also tried 900-1100 and felt like death and didn't lose anything.

Right now my calories are between 1250 - 1400 with most days around 1300. I've also gone bonkers a few times and hit 1550

Thanks for your help!