Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #991
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thanks all for your positive energy!! I am feeling a little dubious at this point with all the food and alcohol challenges over the next week. I have decided to drink red wine and my low carb eggnog with rum but will try very hard to keep my protein intake at or below my max.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #992
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I realized this morning after stepping on the scale that I needed an intervention. I believe I have now proved to myself that much higher calories, fat and even protein WILL NOT work for me. Carbs have been under control at 30g total, but all other macros have been much higher than what I have been doing since July. Result - I've gained back up out of the 180's almost to stall weight

For the last few days I have stuffed myself with fat bombs because I've been hungry and stressed and a little upset with DH. I consoled myself with "extra fat" won't matter. Well, maybe the fat wouldn't have made much difference but I also ate about 80-90g of protein each day which meant taking additional insulin....how stupid can I be

So, today - Merry Christmas - I am trying to save myself. For breakfast I had 2c coffee w/2T CO. Lunch was 9g protein, 1 fat bomb, large lettuce salad w/3T high fat dressing and 1coffee with 1T cream.

We are eating Chinese tonight, but if I eat 1/2 of the beef w/broccoli and cup of soup I usually have I should be fine.

Later tonight I plan on fat bomb, sugar free egg nog with unsweetened almond milk and 2T cream.

I also ordered a meter to check blood ketones. Think I remember the name of the place where strips are cheaper - but have to check that out.

Hope everyone else is having a good day.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #993
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Mobear, hang in there, it's almost over. (I keep telling myself that, too).
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #994
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Mobear, hang in there, it's almost over. (I keep telling myself that, too).
Ditto...I'm right there with you!!! Glad you ordered the meter Mobear. It's amazing when you think you are not doing well that the numbers tell you that you are, and vice versa. It will be interesting to see how you do.

When I was doing Atkins induction, I was in ketosis...then started following the various tips for grams of protein, total calories, % of fat and immediately gained and went OUT of ketosis. I wish I could do it as easily as others, but am always glad to come here and see that I'm not the only one struggling.

I got so fed up the day before Christmas that I binged for the first time in my life. Really bad carbs/grains/sugars. In 2 days I gained 5#. Made me laugh. At least I have an "easy" 5# to lose now...I hope!!!!! So, I'm back on track today and going to go back to numbers I did a couple years ago with success....only it was nonfat and now I'm going to do 60-65% fat...no more. I'm also going to up my carbs to 25-30 total. Much higher than the under 15 I was doing without luck.

I know we aren't alone, but we are all pretty darned determined to find a way to make it work for us!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #995
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Congratulations to everyone for surviving the holidays and doing the best they could under difficult circumstances. Maureen, I hope things get easier for you you. For the meter that I ordered, American Diabetes Warehouse had the cheapest test strips. Shelley, I hope those 5 pounds--which must be mostly water--are soon flushed away.

I'm glad to be back to strict JUDDD LC/HF/MP rotations after 3 days of social dinners where I didn't control the menu. I managed to avoid sugar and grains, but ate more calories and carbs than usual, including things I haven't eaten for a year (peas, potato salad) because there wasn't much else to eat except for the meat main dish. Oh, well, I'm just relieved to be back to cooking for myself and controlling exactly what's on the menu. I've been trying to build my social interactions around non-food events (concerts, films, walks, coffee), but that's just not possible for right around Christmas. But at least those difficult days are over for me, until next year.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #996
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Congratulations to everyone for surviving the holidays and doing the best they could under difficult circumstances. Maureen, I hope things get easier for you you. For the meter that I ordered, American Diabetes Warehouse had the cheapest test strips. Shelley, I hope those 5 pounds--which must be mostly water--are soon flushed away.

I'm glad to be back to strict JUDDD LC/HF/MP rotations after 3 days of social dinners where I didn't control the menu. I managed to avoid sugar and grains, but ate more calories and carbs than usual, including things I haven't eaten for a year (peas, potato salad) because there wasn't much else to eat except for the meat main dish. Oh, well, I'm just relieved to be back to cooking for myself and controlling exactly what's on the menu. I've been trying to build my social interactions around non-food events (concerts, films, walks, coffee), but that's just not possible for right around Christmas. But at least those difficult days are over for me, until next year.
Hi....glad you did so well!!! I wish I had, but I actually enjoyed totally binging and going off the wagon for the first time in 3 or more years! I feel like I'm "flushing out" the grains and sugars already, so hope to see a big drop tomorrow and to continue with it for a few days.

I got my strips at American Diabetes Warehouse. Every now and then they will have a sale. My first purchase was 20% off, and the last one was 10% off. They seem to do a sale every 2-3 months? I figure they will do one again for the New Year.

Good idea to do the non-food social events! I have done the same for the last year and it's really not "that hard" if friends are willing.

Sounds like those of us that fell into temptation are back on track, and the rest of you held your ground well!!! New Years is easy for us as we are too old to "celebrate" and don't like to go out to parties. We just listen to the neighbors! ha ha (and then go to bed!)
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #997
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Happy Birthday Mobear!!!

Hope you had a GREAT DAY!!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #998
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks drjlocarb! I did have a nice day. DH and I went out at about 2:00 p.m. and had a nice early dinner and pleasant evening at home. He should be returning to work Wednesday and we will go back to our usual weird schedule (thank goodness).

Happy New Year everyone
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #999
Chatty Cathy

Happy belated birthday Maureen!! Hope everyone had a nice new year's celebration and is beginning the new year with good health!!

I broke a bowl first thing this morning (so clumsy). I am hoping that means that I have 'expended' my bad luck for the year and it is smooth sailing from here. Ahhhhhh, if only it was that easy!!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #1000
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A bowl not a bone. It's gonna a be a great year!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #1001
Chatty Cathy

Good point!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #1002
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the birthday wishes Cathy. Definitely glad it was a bowl and not a bone. I was working in my garden a few years ago, tripped, did a little jig, splatted and broke my arm. NOT FUN!!

My DH has been using up vacation days throughout the holiday season and returned to his regular schedule this morning. I am so relieved. It has been a non-stop feeding frenzy for him. I've done ok during the day, but he has wanted to stay up till 1 - 2a.m. and as the night has worn on I've gotten into too much protein and fat.

Send me some good thoughts today as I try to get back on track. I've had to use extra insulin almost everyday for the last 3 weeks! This is not a good thing because taking more insulin means gaining weight

I think I did prove to myself that eating higher protein and fat will simply not work for me. Now, I need to get back to moderate protein, low carbs (this hasn't really been a problem) and around 110g or so fat.

I hope everyone is doing ok. Speck333 I think of you often and hope things are improving for you. On the weather front - last year winter was very very mild. It now appears that northern OH is returning to our regular winter weather - it has snowed quite a bit and is very cold - 14F this morning, brrr!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #1003
Chatty Cathy

I hope Speck is doing ok too!

Maureen, it has been challenging for me as well with things just being off schedule and now my adult daughter is staying with me until she heads off to Africa next week. She worries the heck out of me....

It is also very useful to find out definitively that things don't work in my opinion. I have challenged my woe as well and found out the hard way! New year - new start!! I have been able to maintain about 1.5lbs. above my stall weight so not too bad and I am looking to get things moving again and continuing with the berberine until it runs out which will be this month. After that....well hoping for a script for metformin......

Broken bones has been a common theme in my life starting with a broken collar bone at the age of 4 and 5 subsequent breaks over the yrs. - the worst being a broken leg from skating (and they say exercise is healthy - ha, ha)!! So very glad it was just a bowl I broke.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #1004
Blabbermouth!!!

Awww, thanks for thinking of me. Happy New Year everyone!
I think that 2012 was just about the most miserable year of my life (so far, I don't want to tempt fate), and I'm trying to be hopeful about 2013. I have been very busy through the holidays and now that things have calmed down, I'll be around more. I've packed on several pounds, and am up at least 10 pounds from this time last year, which is a third of the weight I lost in 2010. I was looking at myself in the mirror yesterday, trying not to get too depressed. Oh well, onward and upward! Friday I will begin again.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #1005
Major LCF Poster!

Speck, I hope that 2013 is a much better year for you.

Cathy, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you are able to get that metformin script.

Maureen, I'm sending you good thoughts and hope that life gets easier with DH out of the house and the holidays over.

Shelley, I hope you get that drop and had a nice peaceful New Year's Eve/Day.

Drjlocarb, I hope you enjoyed your travels and can spend some time at home now, where it's easier to stay on plan.

Keytones, I hope that you get lots of support and find things easier once the holidays are over.

I'm planning to stay with a combination of JUDDD and lowcarb/moderate protein and primal, and am hoping to lose 12 more pounds, at least, so that I'm finally no longer obese, according to the BMI charts.

I hope 2013 is a great year for all of us.

Last edited by svenskamae; 01-02-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #1006
Chatty Cathy

Speck, great to see you girl!!!

Sven, great job on the weight loss!!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #1007
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Happy New Year!!!

I have braved the scale and found my stats are now a lie...I am up about five pounds. Time to hit it hard! I am going to eat protein only 1x per day and eat avocado, salad, vegetables with kerrygold, etc. the rest of the day. I will give this high fat diet another shot. I believe it is truly worth another try without the cream cheese/sour cream/regular cheeses to tempt me. I know that is where I went wrong before. I have clipped my eating waaaay back today and yesterday as well and find myself very comfortable. I had tortilla soup without the tortillas tonight. Just one reasonable serving of it for dinner.

Speck, I'm with you on putting 2012 behind me. This was the most volatile weight year in a long time. I really overdid it at times. Time for sanity and better health. You all were very polite to not tell me I was a mess! High 242, low 206, exercised myself to heart palpitations, crazy protein-sparing modified fast....ugh. I got sick of the stalls and was ready to throw myself off the cliff to make it happen. I'm going to take a more reasonable approach!

Cathy, amazing job on the weight over the holidays!!! Africa, good grief, I would worry too!

My pea brain only holds so much...I'm not very good at personals for this reason, especially no where near as good as Sven at it! I do enjoy all your posts.

I am annoyed that everytime I go to the doctor that they hand me a printout with the diagnosis of morbidly obese. I have complained about this, but they say once you've been there they have to keep it on the record. I hope someday I can get to overweight instead of obese, yes indeed. Perhaps 2013 will be the year!

Here's to 2013!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-02-2013 at 09:43 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #1008
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning to all the Determined chicks.

Man, are we a sorry group or what?

This IS our year. Let's get this DONE!

I ordered the mother load of test strips and they should be here Monday.
It is time to get full time serious about this weight loss thing and put that part of our lives behind us. We can get this done and change the name of the thread to " Unstalled and Determined to Maintain" challenge.

We may not have lost much in 2012, but we all learned a massive amount of info about what our bodies do with the food we put in our mouths. Let's pull it together and GET THIS DONE!

Lose it once and for all! Come on girls, let's do this..day by day by day until it's done.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #1009
Chatty Cathy

Drjlo, you are so right!!

I just ordered my ketone meter along with 50 strips but I discovered the location of the distributor is a 20 min. drive from my home so I will be able to 'drop by' for more strips as needed. As one might expect (but not me), they are 'back - ordered'!! Hopefully, strips will be in their receivables today. I am looking forward to seeing what my #'s actually are!!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #1010
Blabbermouth!!!

I love it, Drjlo! Yes, we'll get this done.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #1011
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's on!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #1012
Blabbermouth!!!

OK. Today is the day.

The damage is worse than I expected. Six months of "whatever" has garnered me 13 pounds. And it wasn't fun. It was miserable. I was miserable. What a waste of half a year -- in so many ways.

So, I started today out with putting on a pot of bone broth and coffee with cream and coconut oil.
I'm planning on an egg yolk and almond milk shake shortly. Cucumber and lemon water throughout the day. Lunch? Salad? Not sure. Dinner will be shrimp scampi with zoodles.

I'll go do my 40 squats, 10 pushups and planking shortly as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1013
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good start Speck.

I had a pizza plate for my first meal, pepperoni, mushroom, and onion.
Second meal will be leftover corn casserole and ham.
Coconut candy

Cal 1236, fat 94, carbs 20, ptn 76

I am still not to stall weight. I gained, and have not lost yet, a few pounds when I increased calories as per another thread. I should have know better!

Anyone else? We are gonna do this, right?

Cathy, strips today??
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #1014
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
The damage is worse than I expected. Six months of "whatever" has garnered me 13 pounds. And it wasn't fun. It was miserable. I was miserable. What a waste of half a year -- in so many ways.

So, I started today out with putting on a pot of bone broth and coffee with cream and coconut oil.
I'm planning on an egg yolk and almond milk shake shortly. Cucumber and lemon water throughout the day. Lunch? Salad? Not sure. Dinner will be shrimp scampi with zoodles.

I'll go do my 40 squats, 10 pushups and planking shortly as well.
I know that 13 pounds is upsetting, but your whatever ended up adding around 2 pounds a month--and so many people's whatever would have added lots more than that, so you were exercising some self-control even during that bad period.

And speaking of exercising ... good for you with the 10 pushups and planking. I can barely do a modified pushup and plank--the easy peasy kinds -- but I'm working on upper body strength training everyday with beginner-level workouts and 8 pound weights. Maybe I'll be able to do 10 pushups and full planks someday ...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #1015
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, I was actually. Primal Blueprint has the 80/20 rule. I was more like 20/80. I do knee push-ups still. They challenge me so that's ok.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #1016
Chatty Cathy

Way to go Speck and Drjlo!!

Picked up my meter and strips this afternoon and will test in the a.m.. I am very curious to see the #s. Will report back for anyone interested.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #1017
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Of course we are interested!!!

*fingers crossed*
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #1018
Blabbermouth!!!

Being back in the saddle feels good. I'm not eating 100% clean just yet, I ended up having a carbmaster yogurt with lunch. And a hot dog (plain). Otherwise, I did great.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #1019
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy, yes, please tell us about your numbers.

I'm off to a good start. Just a tad hungry, which is OK. Almost bedtime.

I weighed in on the skinny honey badgers thread. 212. Ugh. OK, it is done.

I had avocado, salad, chicken tortilla soup no tortillas, blended cauliflower with Kerrygold butter, and shredded coconut. I drank mostly chai tea today and ate a teaspooon (right out of the spoon) of shredded unsweetened coconut with each cup (instead of coffee/cream). No dairy.

I'm working toward eating no processed food. Well, except minimal amounts for things like condiments.

I went to Costco and bought a bunch of avocado. This is going to be the avocado diet.

Oh, they have Kerrygold butter at Costco!!!!!!!!!!!

I did some stairs yesterday (only half as many as I used to) so no stairs today. Trying to avoid injury this time.

Tomorrow I will be out all day and will need to be careful eating out! I'm going to the Museum of Glass and Tacoma Art Museum. I hope all the walking around will help things along.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-04-2013 at 10:36 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #1020
Chatty Cathy

Great start K.T.!! I am on an avocado kick as well and recently my Costco has had the best ones!!

So I tested my blood ketones this morning and the number came up 2.1. I think this is pretty good. I also checked blood glucose and that was 4.4 (79.2) which is the lowest I have seen it in quite some time. I think the berberine is really doing a good job. Anyway, now I can tell my doc that I am testing.