Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #961
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I saw this at the store recently but decided against it as I have some of that from another company and it's "okay", but I have been looking for the liquid cream.....apparently found in "boxes" in Asian stores. You just "pour" it out and it's thick coconut cream as in HWC consistency. Still looking for it!
Do you have a really large asian grocery store? I've seen it at Uwajimaya here in Seattle. It was watery on top and a brick at the bottom of the carton on the shelf. I can't remember what brand name it was. I purchased it once and warmed it up in order to shake it up and pour it out.

I can't remember what it was like now.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Do you have a really large asian grocery store? I've seen it at Uwajimaya here in Seattle. It was watery on top and a brick at the bottom of the carton on the shelf. I can't remember what brand name it was. I purchased it once and warmed it up in order to shake it up and pour it out.

I can't remember what it was like now.
I used to live in Redmond and then Federal Way, so know Uwajimaya well. Lucky you! Hope you're near the one in No. Seattle where they have all the food stalls...that was a fabulous one to visit once! Yum!!!!

No Asian markets anywhere around here...maybe in Spokane, WA (2 hours away). I'll stick with my HWC and my kerrygold butter and be happy to have those!! I can also "melt" my coconut cream (solid like yours) and add water to it if I really wanted to. The jars I have expired March '07 I think. I called the company and they said if they are sealed/unopened, they are probably just fine! I eat it by the spoonful when I want something sweet!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #963
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I used to live in Redmond and then Federal Way, so know Uwajimaya well. Lucky you! Hope you're near the one in No. Seattle where they have all the food stalls...that was a fabulous one to visit once! Yum!!!!

No Asian markets anywhere around here...maybe in Spokane, WA (2 hours away). I'll stick with my HWC and my kerrygold butter and be happy to have those!! I can also "melt" my coconut cream (solid like yours) and add water to it if I really wanted to. The jars I have expired March '07 I think. I called the company and they said if they are sealed/unopened, they are probably just fine! I eat it by the spoonful when I want something sweet!
Oh, small world!!!

The one in Redmond moved to Bellevue. It is near Best Buy close to downtown Bellevue.

I'm inspired - I'm making soup with 2 large-ish butternut squash, 1 can of native forest coconut milk and 1 box of coconut cream. I'll add curry and/or maybe some indian sauces I have in stock.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #964
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and I forgot - I am lucky enough to work near enough to the Uwajimaya downtown to go there once in a while! My daughter loves that one, so we will go there and walk around the international district.

The soup turned out great! Had to add some splenda to it. It took me a while to figure out what it needed in addition to the curry.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #965
Senior LCF Member

That soup sounds delicious!!!!!

I do miss all that is available where you are....I'm in No. Idaho in the mountains and 30 minutes from the nearest "anything". Even all the houses are empty this time of year. Everyones heads for warmer climates for the winter months. It's very isolated, and we are buried in snow right now...but it's beautiful!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #966
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you! It turned out well.

What brought to you N Idaho?

I found the coconut cream at Uwajimaya. It is on the very large retailer's site. Aroy-D (I used google images). Ugh, $10...It doesn't have additives. I remember deciding to just use coconut milk instead.

Curry is my parmesean substitute. I used to shake that on quite a few things.

Coconut milk instead of cream/cream cheese.

I'm still using the Kerrygold! Not giving that up!!!!

Last edited by Key Tones; 12-10-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #967
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Drjlocarb I want to wish you a very fun vacation. Hope you have major stress relief and fun with the friends. Your upcoming locarb cruise sounds wonderful and everything I've read says there is wonderful information given out!

We are back from our weekend road trip. Things went fairly well. My DH who is frequently an angry volcano blowing up over everything and nothing was fairly even tempered except for one situation on Saturday. We had a nice time at the concert we attended on Friday so overall the trip was very nice.

I am continually surprised at the resurfacing of lack of control in eating which I had been dealing with fairly well. Last week I made pasta for DH and ate the leftovers at about 11:30 p.m. and paid for it with higher bg Over the weekend I ate a McDonalds sandwich....was only going to eat the inside but ate the whole darn thing! Several things come to mind. I seem to be losing slowly after 15 months of being stalled. Am I afraid of this?? I have the best A1c I've ever had...so am thinking I can now reward myself with these little "slips".

I went out with a friend for lunch today and did ok. It is a buffet and I would never go there except she loves the place. I did ok with the food but did eat my entire protein allotment. This evening I am not really hungry but did have a cream cheese cloud and think I will just fast until morning.

Hope everyone is doing ok. I've been reading a little more on the NK/HF forum. Didn't realize there were issues between HF and NK. Guess I haven't been paying attention. I haven't really been figuring % on my food like I did for quite a while. Now I'm logging and trying to eat between 45-50g of protein, 30g total carbs, and the rest fat. Guess I'll just stay with the logging and hope the very slow weight loss continues after last weeks up a pound.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #968
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Thanks Mobear, I will have fun. No doubt.

I have found through testing that I can be a fat burner and have been wondering if that knowledge is going to sabotage me too. Rewards....um...good question.

HF has me in a tail spin over the fact that those of us who have been struggling as opposed to those who lose on a general ketogenic diet. I feel like someone is handing out false info to newbies and I have a hard time letting that go. Calorie recommendations are WAY out of line and I have been actually laying awake at night worrying about the new people trying to eat such high calories. I don't think he realizes that some of the calories HAVE to come from your own body fat. The book he uses has an example of a 230 lb man eating 1600 cal/day and he is recommending over 200o cal for 130 lb women. They are recommending 63% fat calories, not 85%.

I struggle with WHY I am concerned with what other people from all over the world are doing in their weight loss struggle. But, at the same time, I don't want them to disregard this very important tool. Good thing I will be gone for a week. OR, I might have to check in from Colorado.

Cathy, I want you to know that I am in no way discounting the hard work and faith you have shown in this fight!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #969
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I haven't been following much in the nutritional ketosis area--sounds disturbing. Sometimes a very adamant person can set a tone that doesn't follow the general YMMV standard, unfortunately. I'm finding JUDDD challenging but rewarding, and I don't want to spend a lot of time following both the JUDDD and NK sections of the board.

Maureen, I'm sorry that you've been struggling a bit. Putting things in perspective, most people don't need to exercise the iron control over calories, carbs, protein grams, avoidance of additives, etc., etc. that so many of us here do practically every day. True, we don't have a lot of choice in the matter, to have a hope of losing weight or maintaining, but the little off-plan infractions you note are things that most people wouldn't give a thought to. I hope that you are able to get fully back on plan, for the sake of weightloss, blood glucose control, and peace of mind, but try to remember that you have been amazingly disciplined, day after day after day, for a long time, too, and appreciate that about yourself.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #970
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Hi all. I am wishing you all safe and happy travels and celebrations and ability not to swerve too far from our respective plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I have found through testing that I can be a fat burner and have been wondering if that knowledge is going to sabotage me too. Rewards....um...good question.

HF has me in a tail spin over the fact that those of us who have been struggling as opposed to those who lose on a general ketogenic diet. I feel like someone is handing out false info to newbies and I have a hard time letting that go. Calorie recommendations are WAY out of line and I have been actually laying awake at night worrying about the new people trying to eat such high calories. I don't think he realizes that some of the calories HAVE to come from your own body fat. The book he uses has an example of a 230 lb man eating 1600 cal/day and he is recommending over 200o cal for 130 lb women. They are recommending 63% fat calories, not 85%.

I struggle with WHY I am concerned with what other people from all over the world are doing in their weight loss struggle. But, at the same time, I don't want them to disregard this very important tool. Good thing I will be gone for a week. OR, I might have to check in from Colorado.

Cathy, I want you to know that I am in no way discounting the hard work and faith you have shown in this fight!
I am not sure I am reading your post correctly....I too get my panties in a knot about incorrect or just plain bad advice being put out there without having to address it for the same reason. In case you haven't noticed!

Maybe I am not reading the same posts....I didn't know that in the N.K. realm that calorie recommendations were being made. I know that Phinney says not to eat below 1200 cal - ever but that seems pretty general type advice. Other than that, I have not heard of other recommendations in this. Please bring me into the loop!!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #971
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Read the first post in the high fat thread, calorie recommendations. 30-35kcal x goal weight in kg. Example - post #23.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #972
Chatty Cathy

Ahh, I have not been reading that particular thread. Wowsa - that just goes to show why I hate the whole calorie theory. It just drives me insane. I am not saying that calories don`t matter - they do on some level but not the way most think. If someone is eating 2500 calories, and claiming they can`t lose, they are almost for sure eating more carbs or protein than they need and as we all know - it the the metabolic effect of these macro nutrients that are really at play.

It seems to me that limiting both those things are the key and the calories will fall where they may. In other words, it is a secondary kind of measure. All of this said in the context of my humble opinion.....
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #973
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Signing off for the next week.

I am leaving a and a for those who may need them while I'm gone!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #974
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Coconut

I've been eating a lot of coconut and drinking coconut milk in cartons.

I've tried this before with coconut oil, but felt gross eating a lot of it.

Anyway, I realize I have been running around with a lot of energy. Granted, I'm eating more than ususal, but that usually makes me tired, not energetic.

Hmmm. Perhaps there is something to coconut giving you energy. I will see how it is when i cut calories. I'm impressed anyway. I need the energy right now.

I made my own coconut cream by putting shredded coconut into the vitamix with some water. It worked well.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #975
Senior LCF Member

KT...I'm with you on the coconut and energy. When I don't do my eggs in CO, but use butter, there is a huge difference in energy.

Re: calories. I had my appt. with my new personal trainer/nutritionist who agrees with LC, but isn't so sure about ketosis. I loaned her both P/V books and she's noticing some things that are great for professional athletes, but not for the average person, and/or a person that is female and my age (64). So, she cut back my calories to 1400-1600/day. 1400 on days I don't do a workout, and 1600 on days I do work out. Per the P/V computations I was told to have closer to 1950-2200 I think. Way too many. She also insists that I have low glycemic veggies....a variety and salads too...every day! So, I'm to try this for a week and see what happens. Bottom line...lower the fat, increase the carbs that will have me under 30 anyway, and lower the calories. And she added in more rehab exercises and today we started on 2 exercises to help me build upper body "power"! Not strength, but power. That was fun! (hard!!!)
Old 12-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #976
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
KT...I'm with you on the coconut and energy. When I don't do my eggs in CO, but use butter, there is a huge difference in energy.

Re: calories. I had my appt. with my new personal trainer/nutritionist who agrees with LC, but isn't so sure about ketosis. I loaned her both P/V books and she's noticing some things that are great for professional athletes, but not for the average person, and/or a person that is female and my age (64). So, she cut back my calories to 1400-1600/day. 1400 on days I don't do a workout, and 1600 on days I do work out. Per the P/V computations I was told to have closer to 1950-2200 I think. Way too many. She also insists that I have low glycemic veggies....a variety and salads too...every day! So, I'm to try this for a week and see what happens. Bottom line...lower the fat, increase the carbs that will have me under 30 anyway, and lower the calories. And she added in more rehab exercises and today we started on 2 exercises to help me build upper body "power"! Not strength, but power. That was fun! (hard!!!)
Sound like good ideas, Shelley. I'm glad you found a supportive personal trainer/nutritionist who was open to reading the P/V books. I hope her suggestions work well for you. Did she specify why she isn't so sure about ketosis, especially for someone female and of your age? Did she think that it wasn't necessary or wasn't desirable?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #977
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Sound like good ideas, Shelley. I'm glad you found a supportive personal trainer/nutritionist who was open to reading the P/V books. I hope her suggestions work well for you. Did she specify why she isn't so sure about ketosis, especially for someone female and of your age? Did she think that it wasn't necessary or wasn't desirable?
Her first impression was that the books were done on men, and on athletes, and not on a normal everyday person, especially a 64 yr old woman with problems I have -- neck, knees, back, etc.! She also said she didn't like the notion of going as lowcarb as possible (zero) as is mentioned. She said that was just wrong to not have any veggies. since they are bulk and nutritious in vitamins/minerals/fiber that is not available in cream cheese and steak! I told her that she hadn't gotten far enough in the books as they say less than 50 grams of carbs/day (not zero), and that's easy to do with plenty of salad/veggies if you stay away from other foods. She totally and completely agrees about all grains and all starchy stuff like rice/potatoes, etc. being avoided completely. Her choice of carbs would be from green veggies, and "others" in small amounts, like shredded carrot in a salad or soup, and berries and moderate "in season" fruits, but not on a constant/daily basis unless you really had low low carbs in the veggies, and probably staying under a total of 30 or even 20 as you can get plenty of veggie carbs for under 30 grams a day. She wants me eating MORE veggies! Also, she said not to eat at night....preferably my largest meal at lunch and a small one at dinner...like no later than 5-6 pm.

She didn't know enough about the "ketosis" thing to make a comment "yet", and was reading both books and also a few write ups I printed off for her. She said that I wasn't doing enough workouts to tolerate 2,000 calories/day for my age/size/workouts, and that she wanted me lower on calories AND fat, but to keep up the good protein and carbs. She said my protein should be 50-90 and trial and error with my workouts and how I was feeling. Fat, especially saturated fat is excellent for women's endocrine systems/hormones and it really messes up women when they go low fat and low fat/low carb is a recipe for disaster, especially for women getting too thin. She used to be 9% bodyfat and said she really messed up doing the body building shows and such staying so low in bodyfat. Now she's a fanatic about telling women to EAT FAT!!! Especially saturated fat. But she said the cream cheese and butter to some extent should not be "the way" to eat the fat. To get it from foods as much as possible.

She is really awesome and I'm so glad I went in to talk to her a couple weeks ago to see what her thoughts were. The pain I had in my hip for the last year or so 24 hours a day went away with the first hour of rehab with her! It has not returned. She is "building me up" and not doing weights at all. It's all rehab and everything so far is being done with my own body weight. All new stuff to me!

I will continue to pass along her wisdom...I was with her for about 75 minutes (instead of the usual 60) and she charges $30/hour. When I was in Seattle (where Kristn lives), my trainer charged $75/hour...but I thought I had a "deal" when buying a package for $50/hour. (that was when both DH and I were working and having $$$) We are both retired. She's really getting me on a program and she said it would be at least a month before I would feel/notice the changes that would begin. She also said that my background in teaching ballet/jazz for 30+ years has advantages as I already know my body well, but the disadvantage is that I've used incorrect muscles and form in some ways that will take longer to rehab.

I'm very excited about it all. I am thrilled to no longer have the hip/sciatic/lower back pain. Gone! But the exercises are PAINFUL and no fun. But the results are fabulous.

She also said that any eating program where you couldn't celebrate with birthday cake or yummy treats on OCCASION was not a plan that would bring with hit a lifetime of good practice or compliance. LC is not a plan where you can "cheat" or have "treats" without having to work hard for weeks to undo the little "treat". I would agree with that one!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #978
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the clarification on your trainer's objections, Shelley. It sounds like she is fine with your "more veggies" version of NK. I don't think I could follow her guideline of not eating dinner later than 6 and having lunch as the biggest meal; I don't get hungry until later in the day (never ate breakfast willingly) and don't get home from work until late evening. I don't understand the advice about not getting fat through cream cheese and butter, but getting it "from food"--maybe she means fatty meat rather than high fat dairy? Cream, cream cheese, triple cream cheeses, and butter are staples of my doing NK, and I prefer meat that is lean, but dairy doesn't seem to be stalling me, thankfully, when I do JUDDD.

It's wonderful that she's been helping you with pain--and that you are not in pain now--and that she is supportive and reasonable in price and compatible with you.

Speaking of occasional treats, what do people plan to do at holiday celebrations later this month? I'm planning on bringing side dishes that are low carb, having meat and low carb sides, and having coffee with cream for dessert. The one thing I am deviating on is making Swedish sausage of potatoes/pork/beef/spices and having a piece of that; it was the main dish at Christmas dinner for my mother's Swedish family.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #979
Senior LCF Member

>>I don't think I could follow her guideline of not eating dinner later than 6 and having lunch as the biggest meal; I don't get hungry until later in the day (never ate breakfast willingly) and don't get home from work until late evening. >>

Well, that would make a huge difference. I'm retired and prefer to have dinner before 6 PM because I can! (and do)

>> I don't understand the advice about not getting fat through cream cheese and butter, but getting it "from food"--maybe she means fatty meat rather than high fat dairy? Cream, cream cheese, triple cream cheeses, and butter are staples of my doing NK, and I prefer meat that is lean, but dairy doesn't seem to be stalling me, thankfully, when I do JUDDD.>>

This is correct...she doesn't like the 83% fat I was doing, and my body didn't like it either (although it was fun at times). I'm feeling much better around 70-75% fat which is eliminating cream cheese clouds and fat bombs and intentionally adding butter and MCT oil to coffee/tea, etc.

>>It's wonderful that she's been helping you with pain>>

It's pretty amazing because even a chiropractor was not able to make this "pinch" go away in my hip/back/buttocks!!! But I do hate the exercises I have to do!

>>Speaking of occasional treats, what do people plan to do at holiday celebrations later this month? I'm planning on bringing side dishes that are low carb, having meat and low carb sides, and having coffee with cream for dessert. The one thing I am deviating on is making Swedish sausage of potatoes/pork/beef/spices and having a piece of that; it was the main dish at Christmas dinner for my mother's Swedish family.>>

I attended a quilt guild potluck on Saturday. There was not one thing I could "legally" eat, so I had 2 glasses of water and no food until I got home. Sad, but true. I felt good about not deviating from planned foods. Most of the stuff was pasta salads, lasagna, spaghetti, breads, cookies, candies, etc. For our Christmas dinner (we are far from family so it's just the 2 of us), I do turkey meat (have leftovers in the freezer from Thanksgiving, so won't fix another whole turkey) and I make my husband stovetop dressing (his favorite) and I have a treat of about 1/4 of a small yam with SF butterscotch and SF toasted marshmellow and butter in the microwave, then green beans and butter and a cranberry relish I make with a bag of cranberries, a whole orange (skin and all) 1/2 cup of splenda and a tsp of ground ginger. All blended. I have a small amount of that with the turkey and am happy. I also make a "beef broth" for "gravy" for me, and reg. gravy for hubby. He has a pumpkin pie, and I usually have a decaf coffee with HWC and "SF Pumpkin Pie Spice" syrup with MORE *whipped* cream on top! I don't feel deprived at all. I've been doing this a couple of years now and there is no guilt and no weight gain. I'm not testing ketones right now and don't know if/when I will start that back up. I don't think I can tolerate the amount of fat required.

The small amount of potatoes in that sausage can't hurt "that much" can they Sven??? Sounds like it's more of a "filler" and a flavoring than part of a meal of mashed potatoes! Like my small amount of "yam".....I don't think I'm that sensitive that one little thing like that will set me back. I suppose you can always try it and see how you do, but it sounds like a tradition I would keep!

I'm NOT keeping the holiday cookies or breads tradition!!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #980
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi All,

I just want to share a recipe:

Curried Cauliflower Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I made it a bit differently:

2 large packages of frozen cauliflower from Safeway (or 3 small from QFC)
2 level teaspoons of curry powder
1 tsp garlic paste (the stuff in tubes in refrigerated section)
1 tsp ginger paste (same - tube)
8 packets of splenda (I like sweet curry!)
1 box unsweetened coconut milk (I suppose a can + water would do)
2 chicken bullion cubes

Steam cauliflower for 45 minutes, blend all in blender (I have a vitamix, but I don't think that is required but for a regular blender probably make a small batch, cut all in half), it's on!!!

I didn't put the creamed coconut in since the texture would probably put my daughter off. Will do next time.

I am making this a staple in the fridge to keep me out of treats. Yep, it's been bad...
Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #981
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Hi everyone!
I'm planning on participating more soon. The holidays are not a good time for me to try dieting, and I'm not really trying. I've not gone completely crazy. No cookies, candy or holiday treats in this house. Homemade sugar-free egg nog is my treat. But there have been so many parties and get-togethers and so forth. And I have not had the same resolve as others here or myself in years past.
So, I've notice something about myself and my preferences for when I eat. I would rather eat a very large meal about 2:00 in the afternoon, and maybe a snack around 6:30 or 7. And no breakfast except an egg shake if I have to work that day, or just coffee with cream. This seems entirely natural to me. I'm trying to figure out a way to make this work with my family and dinnertime together.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #982
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm planning on participating more soon. The holidays are not a good time for me to try dieting, and I'm not really trying. I've not gone completely crazy. No cookies, candy or holiday treats in this house. Homemade sugar-free egg nog is my treat. But there have been so many parties and get-togethers and so forth. And I have not had the same resolve as others here or myself in years past.
So, I've notice something about myself and my preferences for when I eat. I would rather eat a very large meal about 2:00 in the afternoon, and maybe a snack around 6:30 or 7. And no breakfast except an egg shake if I have to work that day, or just coffee with cream. This seems entirely natural to me. I'm trying to figure out a way to make this work with my family and dinnertime together.
It will be good to see you here, Speck, and in less than 2 weeks, the holiday season will be over.

Good for you for figuring out your natural preferences for when you eat. I imagine that the most important thing to your family is that you be present with them when everyone is having dinner--not exactly what you are eating while you are at the table. Would it be workable to have your snack-sized meal at the dinner table with the family, keeping company with them and talking with them but not necessarily eating the same thing as them?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #983
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
>>I don't think I could follow her guideline of not eating dinner later than 6 and having lunch as the biggest meal; I don't get hungry until later in the day (never ate breakfast willingly) and don't get home from work until late evening. >>

Well, that would make a huge difference. I'm retired and prefer to have dinner before 6 PM because I can! (and do)

>> I don't understand the advice about not getting fat through cream cheese and butter, but getting it "from food"--maybe she means fatty meat rather than high fat dairy? Cream, cream cheese, triple cream cheeses, and butter are staples of my doing NK, and I prefer meat that is lean, but dairy doesn't seem to be stalling me, thankfully, when I do JUDDD.>>

This is correct...she doesn't like the 83% fat I was doing, and my body didn't like it either (although it was fun at times). I'm feeling much better around 70-75% fat which is eliminating cream cheese clouds and fat bombs and intentionally adding butter and MCT oil to coffee/tea, etc.

>>It's wonderful that she's been helping you with pain>>

It's pretty amazing because even a chiropractor was not able to make this "pinch" go away in my hip/back/buttocks!!! But I do hate the exercises I have to do!

>>Speaking of occasional treats, what do people plan to do at holiday celebrations later this month? I'm planning on bringing side dishes that are low carb, having meat and low carb sides, and having coffee with cream for dessert. The one thing I am deviating on is making Swedish sausage of potatoes/pork/beef/spices and having a piece of that; it was the main dish at Christmas dinner for my mother's Swedish family.>>

I attended a quilt guild potluck on Saturday. There was not one thing I could "legally" eat, so I had 2 glasses of water and no food until I got home. Sad, but true. I felt good about not deviating from planned foods. Most of the stuff was pasta salads, lasagna, spaghetti, breads, cookies, candies, etc. For our Christmas dinner (we are far from family so it's just the 2 of us), I do turkey meat (have leftovers in the freezer from Thanksgiving, so won't fix another whole turkey) and I make my husband stovetop dressing (his favorite) and I have a treat of about 1/4 of a small yam with SF butterscotch and SF toasted marshmellow and butter in the microwave, then green beans and butter and a cranberry relish I make with a bag of cranberries, a whole orange (skin and all) 1/2 cup of splenda and a tsp of ground ginger. All blended. I have a small amount of that with the turkey and am happy. I also make a "beef broth" for "gravy" for me, and reg. gravy for hubby. He has a pumpkin pie, and I usually have a decaf coffee with HWC and "SF Pumpkin Pie Spice" syrup with MORE *whipped* cream on top! I don't feel deprived at all. I've been doing this a couple of years now and there is no guilt and no weight gain. I'm not testing ketones right now and don't know if/when I will start that back up. I don't think I can tolerate the amount of fat required.

The small amount of potatoes in that sausage can't hurt "that much" can they Sven??? Sounds like it's more of a "filler" and a flavoring than part of a meal of mashed potatoes! Like my small amount of "yam".....I don't think I'm that sensitive that one little thing like that will set me back. I suppose you can always try it and see how you do, but it sounds like a tradition I would keep!

I'm NOT keeping the holiday cookies or breads tradition!!!!
Sounds like you have a good holiday plan, Shelley. I'm not testing ketones either, just trying to keep my carb grams and protein grams and JUDDD-defined calories in line. Usually my (up day) percentage fat falls between 70 and 80 percent, and I'm not convinced that 80 percent works better for me than 70 percent, so long as I don't eat too many carbs or too much protein.

I'm not worried about consuming the potatoes making up 1/3 of a small piece of sausage; I will insist on my hosts keeping the leftovers, though, so I have that potato'ed Swedish traditional treat at just 1 meal.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #984
Major LCF Poster!

Things have been a little strange. I had quite a few nights of very little sleep (even with supplements) and then several nights of fairly decent sleep....no apparent reason for the difference . Yesterday I was dead tired eventhough I slept fairly well the night before.

One thing I do when I am exhausted is eat. I probably had twice as much protein as I should have, a whole lot of fat....but only 35g total of carbs. My blood sugar this morning was ok, but I weighted in at 186.4 so I am up slightly.

Today I am back on track . So far it appears we will not be doing a roadtrip for Christmas which is fine with me. We are planning on dinner at our favorite Chinese restaurant where I usually do very well with my selection. I have lots of carby crap for my DH and the makings of the lowest carb/lowest protein eggnog I can come up with. I do have a very small package of blackberries so I may have 1 or 2 of those on a salad.

Speck333 it will be nice to see you back Hope everyone else is doing ok. I imagine Drjlocarb is still away on vacation. Cathy are you holding up ok? We will probably be getting a few inches of snow here in northeast Ohio but north of us will probably get more. A friend who lives in Michigan will thrilled as they love to snowmobile.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #985
Major LCF Poster!

I hope that your sleep gets and stays better, Maureen. I also end up eating more whenever I get really sleep deprived; it's what our bodies tell us to do as a coping mechanism, and it's very hard to resist. Give yourself credit for keeping carbs low, despite that difficulty.

I hope you have a very restful holiday. When my Jewish partner was alive, we always did Chinese food plus a movie on Christmas day, so your post made me a little nostalgic for that. I'm impressed with people who can limit berry intake to 1-2; I end up gobbling up the whole box of fruit, so I've just given up fruit for now. Maybe I'll try revisiting eating fruit occasionally on up days on JUDDD, this summer.

Winter storm Draco just brought an inch of snow but very cold weather to Minneapolis. So long as it isn't icy (snowing, melting, refreezing) on my way to work, I can cope with that. It's amusing to me to read/hear about storm Draco because my sister's affectionate nickname for me as a child was "Draco Draconis" (which is Latin for "dragon").
Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #986
Chatty Cathy

Hi all. All is well with me. I am now 1.5 lbs. away from my stall weight and am on track but the next week will be challenging. No snow here yet this season which is weird but I am loving it. May change over the weekend however.

Good to hear everyone is doing fairly well. Maureen, I had a weird night of no sleep this past week too and could not begin to know why. I normally sleep very well.....
Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #987
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations, Cathy! You'll be seeing new low numbers below that stall benchmark, soon, I hope, and I know that will feel great. Hope 2013 is very much a year for successfully losing weight again, for you and for all of us.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #988
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy I am very glad to learn you are slowly returning to stall weight. I sincerely hope you will be into new low numbers shortly!! I am still amazed that eating more fat and higher calories has now gotten me below 192 - where I was for 15 months. Even though I have made several missteps with my food over the last couple of weeks, I do have hope of returning to the straight and narrow - thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Svenskamae it is kind of funny with the Chinese restaurant. My husband will not go to buffet restaurants - doesn't like them at all. Finally we started about 2 years ago going to an "old fashioned" sit down Chinese restaurant. We have been there quite a few times and ALWAYS sit at the same table
We joke that we should have a plaque proclaiming that it is "our" table.

Had lunch today with a former coworker who is a very pleasant young man going through some heartbreak at the moment. We had a nice talk and I was able to avoid going too far off plan. It was a Mexican place but I avoided the chips and salsa, rice, and beans. I ate the lettuce, guac, sour cream as a salad. I had a faijita with beef, shrimp, chicken but only ate about 1/3 of the serving and brought the rest home. No way to log the macros, but I felt it was a reasonable amount. I'll go light on protein tonight.

We started very early today with rain, then light snow, and now a little heavier snow. Grass is now all covered and some is accumulating on the pavement. It is quite windy and down to the 20's so getting colder.

Hope all is well with the rest of my stalled stubborn friends
Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #989
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy - woot!!! You are doing great!!! This is not easy during this food-bombs for cheer season!!!

Mobear - I went for Mexican too. I decided I wanted mole sauce, so I ordered the burrito with no tortilla, no rice, and no beans. The waiter/owner said, "How about a taco salad with mole sauce?" I am so silly.

I know he was just being nice, but... He brought a salad that was almost all meat. Sigh. I want lots of lettuce and tomato. I'm sure most people would have been thrilled. Oh well. I didn't say anything. I'll specify next time.

I have been really out of sorts with the diet. I told my counselor about it (I've been going for grief reasons for individual counselling as well). I told him to name any food and I could give you a reason to eat it and a reason to not eat it. I have read too much at this point. So I eat in a way that makes no sense some days. I know I have to pick a philosophy and stick to it. Probably just looking for excuses is what i am doing when i eat too much.

He said to try focusing on making diabetes control the most important thing. I guess, but I don't think he understands. He then told me to focus on eating vegetables, fruit, whole grains (sigh), fish, and skim milk (sigh). He gave me odd looks when I told him how whole grains and skim milk make my blood sugar shoot up.

It is a waste of time...

So, I will refocus on eating mostly vegetables, coconut milk, kerrygold butter, and small amounts of protein.

Well, and get through Christmas as best I can.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #990
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hang in there Keytones!

Cathy, you are super sonic. I know you are going to break the stall barrier! Keep it up, you are almost there.