Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #871
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Random thought: I have struggled with my weight and body image since I was 9 years old, so pretty much my whole life. There have been times, fleeting times, usually not more than a year, in which I felt good in my body. I read sometimes women say they did not have a weight problem until they hit X age or X event in life. And I wonder what is worse? To have spent your whole life "normal" only to be blindsided by this soul-crushing fatness? Or to have never really known what "normal" is, and this constant, unrelenting, battle of the bulge is what is "normal"? I don't know what's worse. Maybe neither. They both suck.

I like random thoughts.

I can't remember a time when I didn't struggle. I remember being 6 and told I was too "chubby."

I think the closest to normal I have ever experienced is the time in 7th grade when I went on Weight Watchers with a friend (her idea and my mom pushed me to go with her). I went from 170 to 155 pounds at 5'10" Everything changed when I hit 8th grade at 155. I had my hair styled into a cute Dorothy Hamilton cut (it was the thing back then) and got contact lenses. It was like Ugly Betty transformed. I gained confidence.

Weight Watchers told me I needed to lose another 15 pounds and gave me a goal of 140. I never saw it. Anyway, I was tall enough that people couldn't see the 15 pounds and treated me like a normal person for the first time. THe kids didn't pick on me, and the few that tried I stood up to. The kids at school didn't recognize me. Our PE teacher couldn't find me when school started when I was sitting right in front of her. I know it sounds like it wasn't a lot of weight, but it was the borderline between where people think you are fat I guess.

It didn't last long. My mom sent me to live with my father and step mother, which was incredibly stressful. It was supposed to be for 6 weeks and turned into 1 3/4 years, and I gained weight until I hit 190 pounds. Sigh.

Fortunately, the confidence thing stuck and I learned how to keep kids from picking on me anyway.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #872
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
:jump joy:

Hello everyone!! It is so nice to see you all again and hear how you are doing It is like meeting old friends once again
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #873
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Random thought: I have struggled with my weight and body image since I was 9 years old, so pretty much my whole life. There have been times, fleeting times, usually not more than a year, in which I felt good in my body. I read sometimes women say they did not have a weight problem until they hit X age or X event in life. And I wonder what is worse? To have spent your whole life "normal" only to be blindsided by this soul-crushing fatness? Or to have never really known what "normal" is, and this constant, unrelenting, battle of the bulge is what is "normal"? I don't know what's worse. Maybe neither. They both suck.
I think they both suck. Personally I have never had a good body image. This is the first time (since toddlerhood probably) that I have been even CLOSE to normal. And it made me miss out on a lot of the happiness of childhood, and ANY of the fun of being a teenager or young woman...

I feel like I am experiencing a second youth now (I am going to law school with people younger than myself, which adds to this) since I am finally 'normal' and treated like a 'normal' girl should be by society at large. It is quite the temptation, since most people assume I am in my early 20s!!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #874
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Thanks Maureen - I know you & I are usually in agreement with some of the mean girls.

Shelley, you raise a lot of issues and I am no expert but I would like to first send you hugs. I know what it is like dealing with p.c.p. and particularly those that are settled in their ways. Your experience sounds a lot like mine with the thyroid stuff. The only solution for me is to become sicker as well. Then I may be sent to a endo but who knows how 'old school' that one might be. Very frustrating and I have been struggling with this for a while now.

The fasting b.g. in many low carbers is higher than one might expect and it can be an issue of physiological insulin restistance (not pathological - big difference). What is happening (or is the hypothesis) is that because the body has to make the required glucose through gluconeogenisis, the liver has become very good at that and over produces at night time. From what I can glean, your numbers are typical and not something to be concerned about.

Having said that - I have similiar #'s and do still feel uneasy about it because I am worried about the insulin response......

I started N.K. in June of this year and did indeed gain lbs. It was a continuation of a slow regain that had been going on. I felt that I wasn't doing any worse on N.K. as I was with vlc and any other strategy, and N.K. makes a lot of sense to me. The problem is that it is based on research and observation of relatively healthy people (I think) and does not necessarily transfer 100% for those that are metabolically damaged and have many years of that as history. For that reason, I made my own adjustments that I thought made sense and felt it was going to take time. And true to form - it has.
Berberine is good for quite a few things other than regulating b.g.. Here is a link to a wiki article that you may find interesting. After reading it, I thought, everyone past a certain age should be taking it!!

Berberine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The reference studies are interesting as well.

I once read (can't remember the source) that diabetics are unusually good at gluconeogenesis. I am still perplexed at how well lowering protein is working for me. I had tried it in the past using a different formula and it didn't work (gained weight eating the typical fat fast diet you see posted around here).

I ate maybe only 1/4 of the turkey I would normally eat. I did eat carbs, but same thing, probably only 1/4 of what I would have eaten in the old days.

Got on the scale this morning. 208. Not bad after spending a few days at my mother-in-law's.

Off topic, that was the first Thanksgiving since my husband passed away. I thought I was prepared. I went to the Surviving the Holidays workshop that the grief support organization put on. I went to my grief support group and we talked about how to handle things (it is led by an experienced therapis). I wasn't prepared. I feel like I have been run over by a train. I know this sounds ridiculous, and please don't take it the wrong way, I am not trying to assign some sort of massive meaning to this group, I am more saying that getting to my normal routine is helping me.

It was really the thought of reading this thread that got me out of bed this morning. So, thank you all for being here!

I am working through the grief process. What people talk about, converting the grief pain to the joy of rememberance, isn't really the path that I see. It is more finding meaning in how my life is better for having had him as my husband and all the things he brought to me and taught me and what he would have wanted for us. I am trying to find a connection with his family so I can better remember him and better determine what he would have said, how he would have directed us, what he would have wanted for us. It is easier to do when sitting with his mother and brother than when I am trying to figure it out. All he ever wanted was for us to be happy. This was something I found difficult during his long illness which spanned 11 years with all the anxiety that entailed. I think this is something I must now pursue for me and my daughter.

Last edited by Key Tones; 11-25-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #875
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
shadow! Glad you have found a solution.

Speck, I see you are one of those who can't wait for the Thanksgiving weekend to end before decorating for Christmas.
Love it!!!!! And in a minute I'm going under the house to get my "new" used faux tree that I bought last year. Haven't had a tree in 3 years, so i"m excited!!!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #876
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This is very interesting to consider. I'm one of those that was always 20-25# underweight. Very thin. Parents forced me to eat ice cream which I still do not like to this day, and whipping cream before bed when I was a teen to try to get me to gain. Didn't work. So, at the age of about 55 or so, I started to finally gain...so it follows the menopause thing for me.

It does "suck" either way, you are right about that!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #877
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I like random thoughts.

I can't remember a time when I didn't struggle. I remember being 6 and told I was too "chubby."

I think the closest to normal I have ever experienced is the time in 7th grade when I went on Weight Watchers with a friend (her idea and my mom pushed me to go with her). I went from 170 to 155 pounds at 5'10" Everything changed when I hit 8th grade at 155. I had my hair styled into a cute Dorothy Hamilton cut (it was the thing back then) and got contact lenses. It was like Ugly Betty transformed. I gained confidence.

Weight Watchers told me I needed to lose another 15 pounds and gave me a goal of 140. I never saw it. Anyway, I was tall enough that people couldn't see the 15 pounds and treated me like a normal person for the first time. THe kids didn't pick on me, and the few that tried I stood up to. The kids at school didn't recognize me. Our PE teacher couldn't find me when school started when I was sitting right in front of her. I know it sounds like it wasn't a lot of weight, but it was the borderline between where people think you are fat I guess.

It didn't last long. My mom sent me to live with my father and step mother, which was incredibly stressful. It was supposed to be for 6 weeks and turned into 1 3/4 years, and I gained weight until I hit 190 pounds. Sigh.

Fortunately, the confidence thing stuck and I learned how to keep kids from picking on me anyway.
Wow...what an amazing post. Thank you for sharing this. It just breaks my heart to read about how kids treat other kids though. I taught ballet for 30 years and had lots of different sizes of bodies in my ballerinas. I saw how others treated them in their leotards/tights as that exposed every single little bit of bodyfat or boney ribs for the world to see (in both directions of weight...over and under). It's amazing to me that kids can be so cruel and I'm so sorry that you (and probably others) had to deal with this. From my "skinny" perspective, I got the reverse treatment about how SICK I always looked due to my size as a kid. I was small in height and very thin. Kids are just plain cruel, and I have discovered that adults aren't much better.

I have to tell you about one of my favorite students. She could have been you! She was 16 and a very big girl...taller than the boys and very "large". But she was the most graceful ballerina in all my classes. We had auditions for solo parts and she auditioned for the role of "Snow Queen" from the Nutcracker ballet. I was thrilled she went for it...and yes, she got the part. When the others saw her doing her turns and leaps with amazing grace, they were stunned. You couldn't even hear her land after a leap through the air. She was my idol and I was her teacher. She stood tall (even though very tall for her age) and she held her head high in all aspects of her teenage years. I have never forgotten her. Still remember her name some 40 years later and wonder where she is. She was an amazing girl! I don't know that I ever told her how I felt about her as I knew she was self conscious. For those of you that felt "big" and didn't feel good about yourself, I just want to say that I'm sure others knew "who you were/are" and just didn't speak up. I"m learning to speak up now that I've "grown up". I think all of you are amazing and am sure that you were as kids too...no matter what your size was! I'm so glad Drjlocarb told me about this group of amazing women. Thank you for letting me join you!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #878
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
I think they both suck. Personally I have never had a good body image. This is the first time (since toddlerhood probably) that I have been even CLOSE to normal. And it made me miss out on a lot of the happiness of childhood, and ANY of the fun of being a teenager or young woman...

I feel like I am experiencing a second youth now (I am going to law school with people younger than myself, which adds to this) since I am finally 'normal' and treated like a 'normal' girl should be by society at large. It is quite the temptation, since most people assume I am in my early 20s!!
Love love LOVE this post!!!!

So happy that you are getting a second youth, and that you are doing so many wonderful things for yourself! As it should be. Keep it up!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #879
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I once read (can't remember the source) that diabetics are unusually good at gluconeogenesis. I am still perplexed at how well lowering protein is working for me. I had tried it in the past using a different formula and it didn't work (gained weight eating the typical fat fast diet you see posted around here).

I ate maybe only 1/4 of the turkey I would normally eat. I did eat carbs, but same thing, probably only 1/4 of what I would have eaten in the old days.

Got on the scale this morning. 208. Not bad after spending a few days at my mother-in-law's.

Off topic, that was the first Thanksgiving since my husband passed away. I thought I was prepared. I went to the Surviving the Holidays workshop that the grief support organization put on. I went to my grief support group and we talked about how to handle things (it is led by an experienced therapis). I wasn't prepared. I feel like I have been run over by a train. I know this sounds ridiculous, and please don't take it the wrong way, I am not trying to assign some sort of massive meaning to this group, I am more saying that getting to my normal routine is helping me.

It was really the thought of reading this thread that got me out of bed this morning. So, thank you all for being here!

I am working through the grief process. What people talk about, converting the grief pain to the joy of rememberance, isn't really the path that I see. It is more finding meaning in how my life is better for having had him as my husband and all the things he brought to me and taught me and what he would have wanted for us. I am trying to find a connection with his family so I can better remember him and better determine what he would have said, how he would have directed us, what he would have wanted for us. It is easier to do when sitting with his mother and brother than when I am trying to figure it out. All he ever wanted was for us to be happy. This was something I found difficult during his long illness which spanned 11 years with all the anxiety that entailed. I think this is something I must now pursue for me and my daughter.
Wow KT....you're dealing with a lot right now. I wish I could give you a big hug!

The grief process is as individual as how to eat and lose weight in my opinion. I'm happy that you wrote what you did.....the old saying that "time heals" is true.....having had a huge loss in my life 9 years ago and never thinking I could go on. You can and you do. And fortunately you have a daughter to keep you focused on moving forward. Just keep putting "one foot in front of the other" and you will get where you need to be. And timing is different for everyone.

I'm glad that we got you out of bed to read this thread! I feel the same way and I"m the newest one to this group, so can only imagine how strong your feelings are about it.

You made it through one big hurdle (Thanksgiving) and the next one will be rough too...just a month away. But you can do it. Lean on us at any time. Holidays are difficult with no "losses", but really rough with them. You should be proud of yourself that you made it through the first big hurdle.

11 years of illness is a hard one.....but I know that you will move forward and be all that you want/need to be. You are obviously a loving, caring and wonderful human being, and you will find your own path to happiness when you are ready. BIG hugs to you!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #880
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Just trying to catch up on my reading because I've been gone most of the day.

KT I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your loss
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #881
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
K.T., I am so sorry. There are no words. I have been told during my times of grief that the first year is the worst because it is all the first times events without the lost loved one. Just sending you hugs.....
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #882
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
KT,

You are doing great. It will take time.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #883
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I got caught up on reading posts for this group and was happy to read so many excellent posts. I am happy to meet you, Shelley and Stardustshadow. Drj, it certainly makes sense to me that people who have a higher ratio of muscle mass due to body build and an athletic past need more protein to maintain muscle than those of us who weren't athletic and don't have as much muscle mass.

Keytone, I want to send you hugs and say that I found your post very moving. I especially like the following: "It is more finding meaning in how my life is better for having had him as my husband and all the things he brought to me and taught me and what he would have wanted for us." That felt very real to me, in terms of thinking about managing my feelings about my former partner of many years, who died over 10 years ago. I have been visiting my sister on the East Coast and exploring various areas like Boston and Cambridge and Amherst and Brookline, and I find myself remembering things that I learned from and things that I did with my partner and appreciating how she broadened my world. I hope that you find support in many places, including your grief group, here, and with your daughter to get you through the pain of going through the holiday season without your beloved husband.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #884
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am gonna quit....

Whining.

I am going to try a higher ptn level and start tracking f b/g, and after a few weeks check the ketones. I want to see if an increase in blood ketones will bring down the fb/g. These x-sm pieces of meat have kept me in limbo for far too long. I am going with 80g/day and see what that will get me. If it does, great. If not, I will have to see if I can go lower.

That's the plan.

I will be going on vacation in 2 weeks and will have very little control over the food choice...AGAIN. This stuff makes it really hard to get a 2 -6 month run to see if a person can get fully keto-adapted.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #885
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am gonna quit....

Whining.

I am going to try a higher ptn level and start tracking f b/g, and after a few weeks check the ketones. I want to see if an increase in blood ketones will bring down the fb/g. These x-sm pieces of meat have kept me in limbo for far too long. I am going with 80g/day and see what that will get me. If it does, great. If not, I will have to see if I can go lower.

That's the plan.

I will be going on vacation in 2 weeks and will have very little control over the food choice...AGAIN. This stuff makes it really hard to get a 2 -6 month run to see if a person can get fully keto-adapted.
But I like your whining!!!! Makes me feel better since it's how I feel too!!!!

I have upped my protein. I stopped recording everything. I am not eating CO or cream cheese clouds. I gave it all up on Thanksgiving and am eating what I feel is "healthy" and still very low carb, but not high fat. And eating as much protein as I want and feel pretty darned good. I've decided to give it a week and see what happens. The scale makes me laugh. It's been identical day AND night for the last 3 days. It measures every .2# too! I think we need more protein personally, so I am not restricting, but also not weighing or posting on ******. I'm taking a week plus off. I also am tired of this feeling and not getting anywhere and am not willing to wait 6 months for it to "possibly" work.

Did anyone else lose on exercise and nonfat lowcarb eating (like Atkins 72 without the fat)? I did....it was an old 1999 book or so called Body for Life and I got down 20# in a matter of months. But I don't think it's healthy. I think that is my problem. What is the mosts healthy thing for MY body at this point. Forget weight and inches...what is best for an older woman with heart disease all over her family. Don't know.

Drj....when are you going to test your glucose...I may follow your lead and do the same thing and start counting grams of protein, etc. again and not worry about carbs as I am always under 15 total anyway. Always single digits when doing net with fiber taken out.

So....how are you going to increase your blood ketones and lower fasting B/G? I could n ever get my ketones up doing all the "right things". I have 5 boxes of strips I got for Christmas for myself a couple weeks ago in order to save on S&H fees (was free that way). So have 50 ketone strips!!! But no way would I test now as there is no way I'm even in ketosis. So, how are you going to get your ketones higher???? This inquiring mind really wants and needs to know!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #886
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

All - thank you so much for your support. It means so much to me. I am usually OK; it has just been hard these past few days. I suspect the holidays may continue to get to me. I just have to get through them, his birthday and our anniverary in January, then Valentine's Day, ugh!

I just got my test results from the doc. A1C = 6. I'm very happy with this; when it is good it is 5.6. I have to rethink the diet...again. Perhaps too many carbs. It is hard to eat today with this on my mind. More discipline needed. Wow. Just when I think I am doing so well, my A1C goes up. Sigh.

I got on the scale just now. 207. Not too bad anyway.

Shelley - I didn't do Body for Life. I did read Lyle McDonald's rapid fat loss handbook. I am sure rapid is what happens for most people but it was not rapid for me. He crystalizes things pretty well. It is a protein sparing modified fast (I think he used the word modified). Essentially, it is a lean protein diet. He is all over the place stating this is not to be followed long term and has disclaimers and what to take, what to do/not do to keep it from being dangerous. I lost weight. I exercised. It was scary when I had to go to the doc because I felt so ill. I was told not to do strenuous exercise and stringent dieting at the same time. I eased up and ate more but still tried to stick with lower carb/lower fat and high protein, but I had to switch things up again when I stopped losing weight.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #887
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Just catching up. Speck asked if we were always overweight. No, I was premature and very thin until I was 8yrs old. At that point I had a virus with a high fever (mom told me this) and then I gained weight like crazy. She had to buy me all new everything...even underwear. It has been a battle ever since. In 1974 I did WW and lost 40 pounds and was close to normal. Took me a year to lose the weight, 1 year keeping it off and then up it went again. That was the only time in my life that I felt "normal" and could buy clothes in the ladies department - not plus or womens.

I seem to have really derailed myself over Thankgiving and its isn't with carbs Thanksgiving and every day since I've eaten most of my protein at lunch. Said I was going to go very light at night and caved in close to bedtime. I'm paying for it with 135 - 145 blood glucose and more insulin. This morning I was up 4lbs. The really nasty thing is I have a doctor appt tomorrow. And, I probably won't lose the weight by tomorrow afternoon

One little tiny bright spot is I found yam noodles (shiratake) locally. Way cheaper than I can order, but they only have the angelhair. Also, it has to be refrigerated, but the store is fairly close so I can go often.

Drj and Shelley - you are both way more athletic than me - and so is Stardustshadow. I have never exercised ( except for knee rehab) and about the only thing I do is walk. I may get one of the Tanita scales, because I am a little concerned about only eating 45-50g of protein.

Drj you are entirely correct that this woe is very difficult to do while traveling!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #888
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shelly, my thoughts on the fasting b/g are in posts #397, 402, 410. I wish I could link a post. Or I could type well enough to re-write it all.

I will try to drop my ptn to 70-80g, but not much lower. I think my ptn was in the 120-140 range before trying to drop it to 55-60. I will still keep carbs below 20 net and hope my morning glucose will drop and my blood ketones will go up. I will test blood ketones and glucose first thing in the AM after 2 weeks. Right before I leave for vacation.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #889
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I just got my test results from the doc. A1C = 6. I'm very happy with this; when it is good it is 5.6. I have to rethink the diet...again. Perhaps too many carbs. It is hard to eat today with this on my mind. More discipline needed. Wow. Just when I think I am doing so well, my A1C goes up. Sigh.

OK, I meant to say A1C=6.0, I am *not* very happy with this. I was hopping it would be in the 5s.

It is weighing on me. I walked through a couple of grocery stores tonight. I just don't know what to buy to eat anymore!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #890
Chatty Cathy

Totally off topic but does anyone else think that the once very abrasive poster who touted a very low fat woe (and claimed dr. status), has come back reinvented as an atkins type woe person?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #891
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm, is the person you are thinking of using a similar sign on name or a different name? The only person with a similar sign-on name whose posts I've read lately lacks the obnoxiousness of she whom you once referred to as "the pesky person."

I am lusting after your lobster meal, Cathy. Anyone who thinks low carb isn't tasty just hasn't been looking at your avatars.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #892
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OK, I meant to say A1C=6.0, I am *not* very happy with this. I was hopping it would be in the 5s.

It is weighing on me. I walked through a couple of grocery stores tonight. I just don't know what to buy to eat anymore!
That sounds very frustrating, KT. I don't remember if you have tried LCHF (severely limiting protein and upping fat) or if you had a good reason for rejecting that approach; I know you've been reducing protein but I don't know how low, and don't recall where your average carb level falls. That approach (minimal required protein and very low carb) is the only thing that I know of to keep blood glucose as low as possible. Or maybe try berberine/glycosolve supplements like Cathy (or ask your doctor for Metformin). If you're already doing that, forgive me for forgetting. I hope you find something that works.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #893
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Just catching up. Speck asked if we were always overweight. No, I was premature and very thin until I was 8yrs old. At that point I had a virus with a high fever (mom told me this) and then I gained weight like crazy. She had to buy me all new everything...even underwear. It has been a battle ever since. In 1974 I did WW and lost 40 pounds and was close to normal. Took me a year to lose the weight, 1 year keeping it off and then up it went again. That was the only time in my life that I felt "normal" and could buy clothes in the ladies department - not plus or womens.

I seem to have really derailed myself over Thankgiving and its isn't with carbs Thanksgiving and every day since I've eaten most of my protein at lunch. Said I was going to go very light at night and caved in close to bedtime. I'm paying for it with 135 - 145 blood glucose and more insulin. This morning I was up 4lbs. The really nasty thing is I have a doctor appt tomorrow. And, I probably won't lose the weight by tomorrow afternoon

One little tiny bright spot is I found yam noodles (shiratake) locally. Way cheaper than I can order, but they only have the angelhair. Also, it has to be refrigerated, but the store is fairly close so I can go often.

Drj and Shelley - you are both way more athletic than me - and so is Stardustshadow. I have never exercised ( except for knee rehab) and about the only thing I do is walk. I may get one of the Tanita scales, because I am a little concerned about only eating 45-50g of protein.

Drj you are entirely correct that this woe is very difficult to do while traveling!
I'm really sorry that your weight has bounced up some, Maureen. I hope that you are able to limit protein more again, and that it pays off with your weight going down again.

JUDDD plus primal plus LCHF (under 20 grams of carbs, under 50 grams of protein) is working better for me than anything I've tried previously. I know that JUDDD isn't workable for many diabetics, because of blood sugar going too low, but I think that my doing months of limited protein/high fat made it easier for me to adjust to the JUDDD down days and actually burn fat during those very low calorie days (300-500 on my down days) lately. Things have a way of working for a while for me and then not working any more, but if JUDDD/primal/nutritional ketosis keeps working, I might manage to get into the 170s before the end of the 2012 and to be officially overweight rather than obese by sometime this spring.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #894
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Hmmm, is the person you are thinking of using a similar sign on name or a different name? The only person with a similar sign-on name whose posts I've read lately lacks the obnoxiousness of she whom you once referred to as "the pesky person."

I am lusting after your lobster meal, Cathy. Anyone who thinks low carb isn't tasty just hasn't been looking at your avatars.
Yes - only difference is an punctuation mark. I wondered for a while but recently have seen a 'trade mark comment'.

Oh I know - that was my birthday dinner last year at my sister's cottage. I am still drooling over it!!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #895
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was wondering the same thing!

BTW, no one can call me DrJ any more or they will make me change my user name. Someone complained.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #896
Chatty Cathy

Quote:

BTW, no one can call me DrJ any more or they will make me change my user name. Someone complained.
What the ... why ever would someone complain and even if they did .... ????? That is just plain weird.

Hmmmm, so I guess a lb. of dry ground turkey wasn't cutting it...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #897
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It was the tuna, egg beaters, and salmon. day, after day, after day...

Someone had to take the dr out of their name and wanted to know why I didn't have to do the same thing.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #898
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Unless Julius Erving is frequenting this board--which I sincerely doubt--that doesn't make sense to me. Or maybe someone thinks you are falsely implying that you have a medical degree ... ?

Is it okay to still use the full drjlocarb moniker, or are you going to have to change your sign-in name?

For all anyone knows, you picked that name because your initials are D.R.J. ...

My sympathies on getting hassled on this.

Edited: Okay, I see you posted the reason given while I was writing this message.

Last edited by svenskamae; 11-28-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #899
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Unless Julius Erving is frequenting this board--which I sincerely doubt--that doesn't make sense to me. Or maybe someone thinks you are falsely implying that you have a medical degree ... ?

Is it okay to still use the full drjlocarb moniker, or are you going to have to change your sign-in name?
I do have a medical degree. I am a veterinarian. My name is Julie...hence DrJ.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #900
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
It was the tuna, egg beaters, and salmon. day, after day, after day...

Someone had to take the dr out of their name and wanted to know why I didn't have to do the same thing.
Bawaaahaahaaa - too funny!

Not to worry - we know who you are.