Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #31
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I have the same problem Speck. I try to be happy for them too. I do try to be supportive, but I do feel left out. Some days I AM happy for them, and some days I ignore those posts.

I REALLY wish I had been here when I lost the weight the first time. I would have been one of those star people everyone looks up to in the weight loss category. I am sure I would not have gained my weight back had I known all the things I've learned since joining LCF.

I also feel I have no business giving advice to anyone when you look at my stats. In fact someone here told me that very thing about a year ago.
I feel self-conscious about my lack of weight loss. I am afraid that people will interpret my advice as 'bad' here on LCFs. After all, what do I know if I have been in this holding pattern for 1.5 yrs? I feel that some are convinced that those of us who are stalled are eating too much - back to the old "lazy and gluttonous" explanation when I know this is not the case (even though I think it about myself sometimes...).

In real life I feel like a bad 'ambassador' for a low carb woe. I eat all this fat and bacon..... and I am still fat. I have become silent on the subject..... All of this is bad for my self esteem but I don't know how to correct it.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

ďEat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 04-27-2012 at 09:04 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Byrd328
Stats: 267/222/150
WOE: Eggs/Meat/Cheese and more Eggs
Start Date: April 2011
Hi All

I just want to say even though you guys have stalled I still look to all of you as my inspiration! You have all done great and I wish I could get to the weight all of you have reached. Yes we all want to be smaller, but you have all acomplished something amazing and don't let anyone take that away from you!

Don't give up, I need you guys!!!
Byrd328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I feel self-conscious about my lack of weight loss. I am afraid that people will interpret my advice as 'bad' here on LCFs. After all, what do I know if I have been in this holding pattern for 1.5 yrs? I feel that some are convinced that those of us who are stalled are eating too much - back to the old "lazy and gluttonous" explanation when I know this is not the case (even though I think it about myself sometimes...).

In real life I feel like a bad 'ambassador' for a low carb woe. I eat all this fat and bacon..... and I am still fat. I have become silent on the subject..... All of this is bad for my self esteem but I don't know how to correct it.
BINGO!!!!!

"Are you tracking? It must be because you are eating way more than you think." Makes me want to punch something!!!!

I feel like a bad ambassador also. It's hard to be seen eating out and feel good about it. I feel like they are looking at me thinking..."YES, I see how that FAT is working for you."
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abreleah View Post
I have reached the 150 goal, but can still see and feel the fat on my body, unfortunatley it is around my waist area too. I am trying to lose 10 more lbs, but it won't budge. This is after 3rd day of meat and eggs. Should I keep going on the meat and egg fast or should I try to add back things like salad. One thing I have trouble with is big portions. I eat a ton of the meat.
In my experience, 3 days isn't long enough to know if something is working. It can take that long for the body to stabilize with water loss/gain and so forth. In the past, I picked a number of days, or weeks, or a calendar date and stuck it out until then. And then, like Elizabeth says, re-assess from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naeemah74 View Post
there is sometimes that "wow I can't wait to get there" or if I'm in pity party mode the twinge of "why isn't it happening for meeeee?" Either way I become proactive and pick their brains on how they accomplished it. Nothing good is going to come easy and I find the more positive I am about a challenge, or someone else's success (even if I have to force it ) the easier the challenge becomes.
I relate to all of this. I also agree the power of positive thinking is important. "Fake it 'till you make it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
Back up today to 164.... But it is after a UD. See what I mean? I can never get out of the 160's!!!!!
I know

Quote:
I have the same problem Speck. I try to be happy for them too. I do try to be supportive, but I do feel left out. Some days I AM happy for them, and some days I ignore those posts.

I REALLY wish I had been here when I lost the weight the first time. I would have been one of those star people everyone looks up to in the weight loss category. I am sure I would not have gained my weight back had I known all the things I've learned since joining LCF.

I also feel I have no business giving advice to anyone when you look at my stats. In fact someone here told me that very thing about a year ago.
Oh, geeze, don't even get me started on the "if I knew then what I know now" track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethLC View Post
When I see someone who is successful, I then want to know how they did it and assess if their methods seem do-able for me. When it's someone who has lost weight - I pretty much just feel very positive/supportive. Weight Loss People are My People!!

Now, people who have never been fat and look amazing -- this is what occasionally causes me to curse my own fate. Why not meeeeeee, etc. I grew up fat and have baggage from that. I can't help but wonder what it would have been like to grow up a normal weight or even small.

Abreleah-- Hi hon! Here's what I'm thinking. We are all so different. Different stuff is going to work for each of us. Meat and egg may be amazing for you.. or adding salad back in might be better. So how about if you asked yourself:
1. Is it working?
2. Do I like it and want to keep going?

.. and then assess from there.
Good advice.
I put on weight when I was 9, and have spent the last nearly 3 decades trying to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

I feel this way, too. I try to frame whatever I say in way like "when I was losing weight, I..." or "I've read that other successful losers are doing..."
Luckily, most of the people I'm surrounded by are kind and don't make an issue of what I eat or don't eat. But I was just telling my mom a few weeks ago, that when there is a gathering or party or something, and I eat party food, people must be thinking I eat like that all the time and be thinking "no wonder she's overweight".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd328 View Post
Hi All

I just want to say even though you guys have stalled I still look to all of you as my inspiration! You have all done great and I wish I could get to the weight all of you have reached. Yes we all want to be smaller, but you have all acomplished something amazing and don't let anyone take that away from you!

Don't give up, I need you guys!!!
Thank you Byrd! That means a lot to me.

Quote:
BINGO!!!!!

"Are you tracking? It must be because you are eating way more than you think." Makes me want to punch something!!!!

I feel like a bad ambassador also. It's hard to be seen eating out and feel good about it. I feel like they are looking at me thinking..."YES, I see how that FAT is working for you."
If any of them can explain why I can't lose weight on 1200 calories a day and how 1200 calories makes me a glutton, I'd like them to say it to my face.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Abreleah
Stats: 260, I think, 182/157/150
WOE: Atkins an Sugarbusters
Start Date: Aug 15, 2010
A great Big Thank you Yes three days isn't enuf to even begin to see if it is working. I know that getting closer makes it go slower and even stop in my case. I too was always considered big (aka fat)even as far back as first grade. That was more than a few decades ago! I will set a date for the meat and eggs two weeks should do it is what I am hoping for. If not will try something else, just hope it isn't counting calories LOL
Abreleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybear
Stats: 277/229/?
WOE: Atkins <20g Carb
Start Date: 01/29/2011
This is a little longÖ I read the boards every day but rarely post about myself, mainly because Iím always at work and only on for a few minutes at a time.

Background: same old story, lost 80 lbs on Atkins about 8 years ago, but went back to old way of eating and gained back about 50+. Iím 52 yrs old, no health problems except overweight.

Started Atkins again late January 2011, and lost 49 pounds last year. When I did Atkins before, the weight just melted off, even with drinking lots of beer. This time, not so much, it has been very slow and a lot more work.

I havenít lost any scale weight since late November. I indulged in a few treats between Christmas and New Yearís (mainly out of frustration with the scale, and being around a lot family parties, etc.) but never a lot, only a few bites here and there, and always right back on lc at next meal.

Also, I began exercising in December (walk as hard and fast as I can for 30 minutes, usually 3-4 times a week, so nothing major). Well, the scale weight actually increased 9 pounds in January! Even with eating very clean, I couldnít get it to come back down. Yet, I have gone down another whole size in this time. Last summer I was in 22ís, for fall & winter I bought 20ís which were hanging off of me so I bought 18ís for this summer about a month ago and they are already starting to get a little loose, yikes!

Dr. Atkins says it isnít a true stall unless youíre losing no pounds OR no inches. I see changes in my body every week, I can tell fat is coming off all over, but scale was staying the same. Sooo frustrating, even though I know itís common, you read othersí stories of the same thing all the time.

Also, I bought a glucose monitor, and my glucose levels are consistently in the 80ís, rising to low 90ís after a lc meal for about an hour or so, then back to the 80ís, so that is ONE measurement I am very happy about.

I keep my carbs well below 20, but I knew I was taking in too many calories (usually around 2000) and too much meat, and eating too late in the evening (I work 2 jobs, about 60 hrs a week, and several days a week are 13 hour days with me getting home at 9:30). I donít snack, and donít have cravings, but if I didnítí have meat (beef or chicken) I felt peckish.

I have tried adding in flax and almond flour, cutting dairy, upping this and reducing that, no results. I have also tried being patient, telling myself my skin and other body parts needed time to catch up, etc. Bleh!

So, about 3 weeks ago I started taking L-Carnitine at 4pm and it seems to help with eating in the evening. Also, I was interested in JUDDD, but didnít feel like I could tolerate only 500 calorie down days. I have started having an egg-only day every other day, and reducing the amount of beef and chicken on the other days. Since I started doing that, the additional 9 pounds have come off, so I feel like the L-Carnitine has helped with that. Weíll see if that trend continues.

Sorry, I know that was a lot, I promise you wonít see any more long posts from me, lol. But I also am very determined so Iím so glad you started this thread.

I love the foods I eat, and the way I feel, so even if I never lost another pound or inch, I will never go back to SAD. I have learned so much by joining lcf and reading Taubes and others, knowledge is power!
ladybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

And, yes, I too wish I had known about lcf when I lost weight before. I would have never gone back to eating carbs and gained the weight back if I had known then what I now know. But, I can't look back, I can only look forward and keep on keeping on.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Ladybear - don't worry that your post was too long , it wasn't !!

I have been up and down the same 5 lbs since Nov too..... and yes very frustrated ;/
I started L carnitine about 6 weeks ago and it gives me more energy and does seem to help with cravings...but I have to take it in the am or I can't sleep .

I'm also from Texas ....
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Laura! Glad to see another Texan. It's forecast to be 98 today, and not even May yet, gotta love Texas.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome Ladybear. Your story is all too familiar. It is so frustrating, trying all sorts of things and they don't work. It sounds like the L-carnitine is working for you?
Don't be afraid to try JUDDD. I know 500 cals sounds unreasonable, and it is if you did it daily. Some people started higher and worked their way down, and it worked for them. I got to a point where I could nearly fast the entire day, and it was easier than trying to eat. It does take time, though. I am still somewhat in my JUDDD pattern. Today is what would have been a "down day", and my body is naturally in that mode. I haven't eaten a thing except coffee with half n half this morning and it's 2:30pm my time. I am just now getting hungry, and yet, I don't want to eat. I'm just going to go with the flow.
One of the reasons I quit JUDDD is because I tended toward eating "junk" on my up days. The restriction of down days was playing with my head and I felt I "deserved" to eat popcorn and bread on up days. I didn't do it every up day, but often on weekends I caved. I really don't think these are healthy foods, but getting out of that pattern was proving extremely difficult for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, I have a raging headache, and this hasn't happened to me in a very long time. I decided to break my fast about an hour ago when the headache started developing. I had 3 oz. cheese and 4 med. strawberries, and then a square of dark chocolate and 2 tbls of peanut butter (yes, I know, cheese and peanuts are not Primal -- hence my "semi-Primal" woe), then some Tylenol when the food alone wasn't working. As I type this the headache is subsiding, so I'm guessing the meds are taking effect.
I'm looking forward to dinner tonight. Swai (a mild white fish) and buttered green beans. Sounds pretty boring, I know, but I'm making my delicious homemade tartar sauce to go with it, and copious amounts of butter, neither of which I have had in 6 months of JUDDDing (because lean protein and simple veggies were my down day staples and I ate them without fat to keep the calories low per the plan).
Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Yes, Speck, I usually have to work toward changes, as making sudden drastic changes seems to stress my body. That's why I thought I'd try having the egg-only days for a while as a "down" day. Even though I use butter and mayo, so they are not necessarily low calorie, they are still lower than other days.

I know other JUDDDers say they didn't do it perfectly at first and had to work towards it as well.

When I started back doing Atkins, I didn't just jump into Induction, I had to cut carbs in stages.

I am learning more about my body all the time, and how it can handle things. I find that I can get accustomed to a lot if I take it easy getting there.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome ladybear.

Very interesting that you are shrinking without the scale showing a loss. I would be happy with that .

I, too, bought glucose meter. I had a disturbing find and maybe someone will help me with the results.

I was running 120's in the mornings and would slowly drop to 70-80 by bed time. My LC meals would only raise it 10-20 points and right back down within 1-2 hrs. I was in ketosis during this entire time.

I went high carb for a few days (someone gave me a loaf of home made bread) and the mornings were never that high and never was it that high during the rest of the day or after high carb meals.

These high glucose readings are part of the derailment since the first of the year...and the 10 lb gain.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

So your blood glucose readings were lower having eaten the bread or other high carb items?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
Quote:
Welcome ladybear.

Very interesting that you are shrinking without the scale showing a loss. I would be happy with that .

I, too, bought glucose meter. I had a disturbing find and maybe someone will help me with the results.

I was running 120's in the mornings and would slowly drop to 70-80 by bed time. My LC meals would only raise it 10-20 points and right back down within 1-2 hrs. I was in ketosis during this entire time.

I went high carb for a few days (someone gave me a loaf of home made bread) and the mornings were never that high and never was it that high during the rest of the day or after high carb meals.

These high glucose readings are part of the derailment since the first of the year...and the 10 lb gain.

If you were low carb and had high b.g. in the morning, then your liver was producing sugar that raised it that high.

Meaning: You are having problems with your pancreas not producing insulin to bring that back down. That is a symptom of diabetes. Be careful. It sounds like you are insulin sensitive, so that is a good sign.

Solution: Your liver uses protein to make sugar before it uses fat. Decrease protein, increase fat, and see how that works for you. Decreasing protein in your evening meal is where I'd start.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Its a very cool kind of rainy day here. Wasn't really hungry this morning so I just had an Atkins shake. A couple of days ago I made a ground beef/pumpkin soup using one of LindaSue's recipes so that is going to be lunch.

Right now I'm trying to stay at 1150 - 1200 calories, 72g of protein, 30g (total) carbs and however much fat I need to round out the calories. Haven't lost anything yet....maybe next week will be different.

I'm also hesitant to offer a lot of advice since I've been stalled so long. When posters report they are at goal I always try to be cheerful and positive. Also, when people report they've been able to completely get off diabetes/blood pressure/cholesterol meds I try to give them a big thumbs up. In the back of my poor brain this voice is screaming at me "what the helllll is wrong with me??????"

I'm very grateful for LCF because it is my major support. Thank you all for being here!

Last edited by Mobear; 04-28-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

I know Mobear
Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
About to give up today.... Maybe I will feel better Monday.
I would like to find some way to lose while still being able to do things with my family. I guess I don't have a lot of support at home... My H knows I am on a DD but brings home a slice of pizza for me. My boys (3&5) say "come sit with us and have some pizza!" When I say I can't H says something like "momma doesn't want to sit with us."
Not nice and not true...
The other day H knew it was my DD and still tried to talk me into going out to eat when I got home from work. I didn't give in, but then TOM came and I got a horrible migraine... I ended up pigging out ... Now here I am, sad hopeless, and back to square one.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I would like to find some way to lose while still being able to do things with my family. I guess I don't have a lot of support at home... My H knows I am on a DD but brings home a slice of pizza for me. My boys (3&5) say "come sit with us and have some pizza!" When I say I can't H says something like "momma doesn't want to sit with us."
Not nice and not true...
The other day H knew it was my DD and still tried to talk me into going out to eat when I got home from work. I didn't give in, but then TOM came and I got a horrible migraine... I ended up pigging out ... Now here I am, sad hopeless, and back to square one.

Sounds like H needs a swift kick in the pants! Can I do it for you?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
So your blood glucose readings were lower having eaten the bread or other high carb items?
My morning BG were/are lower now than when I was in ketosis all last year. Usually 85-100 in the last 3 months. They were 120ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
If you were low carb and had high b.g. in the morning, then your liver was producing sugar that raised it that high.

Meaning: You are having problems with your pancreas not producing insulin to bring that back down. That is a symptom of diabetes. Be careful. It sounds like you are insulin sensitive, so that is a good sign.

Solution: Your liver uses protein to make sugar before it uses fat. Decrease protein, increase fat, and see how that works for you. Decreasing protein in your evening meal is where I'd start.
I did get the A1c test from the drug store and tested at the same time(Dec 2011) and was shocked at a 5.6!
I just re-did the test(after this 4 month fall from grace), and now it was 4.9!!

What is going on here!!!!

Last edited by drjlocarb; 04-28-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Old 04-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Ugh......been eating super clean - mostly meat/egg for last 2 days. Scale won't budge...134.2

About to go craaaaazy ;/
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Not nice and not true...
Oh my god, that's terrible. What is wrong with him? Is he trying to sabotage you on purpose, do you think? I've heard of that happening.
Dust yourself off and try again. If you don't eat the rest of today and hold out until late in the day tomorrow, you can salvage some kind of down day between the two.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
My morning BG were/are lower now than when I was in ketosis all last year. Usually 85-100 in the last 3 months. They were 120ish

I did get the A1c test from the drug store and tested at the same time(Dec 2011) and was shocked at a 5.6!
I just re-did the test(after this 4 month fall from grace), and now it was 4.9!!

What is going on here!!!!
You've got something weird going on. Time for a specialist maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
Ugh......been eating super clean - mostly meat/egg for last 2 days. Scale won't budge...134.2

About to go craaaaazy ;/
I hear ya.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naeemah74
Stats: 167/152/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 3, 2012
Quote:
Not nice and not true...

Northern Californians never give up!
! Ok yeah we do but it sounded good. However, keep up the the fight. You can do it.

If snacking and eating out was something you and hubby used to do for fun, he may be missing his snack buddy. He may not be doing it on purpose but more out of habit. Or maybe he does need a kick in the pants. Me and hubby went through something kind of similar because snacking was part of our hanging out: rent a movie=snacks, go to movie=snacks, take a walk=snacks, etc. When I'm trying to eat right though I have to tell him, "do you want a snack buddy who is an angry, fat, resentful wife or a happy, fit, loving wife?" However he still grumbles about it every now and again.

Maybe let him know how important this is to you and then you just have to be strong because he's not on this woe, you are. Don't give yourself any excuses to bail out of what you really want because it gets hard.

Last edited by Naeemah74; 04-28-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Naeemah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

So I took my kids to the pool and there was was this other mom there with a rockin' body (complete with breast implants), and immediately I have to fight the urge to project on her what she must be thinking about me: "Look at her, she shouldn't be seen in public in a swim suit. Why doesn't she do something about her weight?" Of course, I have no idea if the woman was thinking these things, but this is what runs through my head. But then, sometimes, you do know that someone is thinking bad thoughts about you. Do you ever catch someone looking at you in a way that you just know that's what they're thinking, and you want to scream "BUT I AM TRYING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT BUT NOTHING I'M TRYING IS WORKING!"
Old 04-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
I took off my jacket right before storytime at work and I caught one of the moms looking at my belly. She looked up at me with a big questioning smile that I quickly looked away from... I think she thought I was pregnant!!! Oh... I don't blame her... there are expectant moms in my group that look a lot better than me.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I took off my jacket right before storytime at work and I caught one of the moms looking at my belly. She looked up at me with a big questioning smile that I quickly looked away from... I think she thought I was pregnant!!! Oh... I don't blame her... there are expectant moms in my group that look a lot better than me.
Oh man! well, at least she didn't outright ask "when are you due?". I've heard of that happening to people. Terrible.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

********* is what I use (when I use it) and it also does a good job of recording macro, and micro, nutrients. I'm not sure what "adequate" protein is though -- as in, how is that defined?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
I think it means "getting enough but not going overboard". My daily RDA is like 44 grams or something like that and I always overshoot it by.. a lot. I had 109 grams total today. In fact my usual average is between 100-110, which is down from the 140-150 I was previously doing. It's probably way too much. Or not enough. Some horrible thing where I've been doing it wrong for months, most likely.

Clackley~ I would definitely try an adequate protein thing. It's on my list of stuff to try. I think that's what Sugar Free Sheila advocates, although I don't know her macros.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I copied this from a post by Auntie Em quoting Dr. Bernstein. This is how to (according to him) to determine your BASE protein needs. You can negotiate higher with your doctor if needed. On his plan he recommends 30g carbs but only subtracting 1/2 of the fiber.

This is how I came up with the amount of protein to consume daily.

"Dr. B doesn't set upper limits on protein, but does say that a sedentary person ought not go below .8g/PRO per kg, for a sedentary person. He recommends more protein for those who exercise more. I don't have my book with me, but can check the numbers and post them if you need them. He does recommend reducing protein if one is not losing weight, but not to go below that .8g/PRO per kg"

I had to use google to figure out my weight in kilograms and then multiplied by .8 to come up with a base of 70g of protein a day. I'm eating about 72g most days and 1170 calories. I'm also eating as close to 30g total carbs per day. Fat fills out the rest of the calories at about 85g.

This level of protein is far below what I found at Jenny Ruhl's website which put me at 105g. I found my blood sugar increasing when I got close to that amount.

HTH
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote