Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #541
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
His recommended amounts for protein intake can be checked by looking in the protein table in the "Low Carb Living" book; this is 1.2-2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight

Thanks for all the info svenskamae...I'm going to and try and listen to the podcast but coming up with 2 hours is a problem. I am curious about the protein table in the "Low Carb Living" book. Is the kilogram of body weight your goal weight, your current weight - or something else??

My weekend away was really difficult. No problems with the carbs, but estimating protein and fat was really tough. I tried to write everything down and logged when I got home---but I seriously overate protein and went way over my calories on Saturday.

In spite of vowing to only weight once a week, I hopped on the scale today and was 192.8 (up .4). Since my previous bounce was much higher this might be a mini improvement.

I found the comment about a sympathetic doctor to be beyond . I can barely get good help (which actually improves my blood sugar) from a medical doctor. I've even tried an endo at Cleveland Clinic and still the only thing that really worked was Dr. Bernstein's plan for me.

My guess on the lowcarber that developed T2 is that they may still have been eating very large amounts of protein (some call it a slow carbohydrate).
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #542
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Hi, Maureen. It turns out the protein amount table was actually from "The New Atkins for a New You"; Jimmy Moore has the table posted along with the questions from his interview with Phinney. So this table appears to be based on sex and height, and gives ranges; I'm a woman who is 5 feet 3 inches tall, and the recommended grams of protein per day in that table is 70-145. I'm guessing that one should aim for the lower end of the range, if one is trying for nutritional ketosis. Some other estimates of required protein intake are based upon current pounds of lean body mass times some amount (e.g., times .6). If you Google "Jimmy Moore Ask the Experts Phinney," for example, that should get you to the table that Jimmy posted.

Sorry you had a tough weekend away. I've sometimes tried to work with a doctor who was sympathetic, but my sense is that doctors rarely know how to help with resistence to weight loss, even if they want to, beyond testing thyroid function (and sometimes just one test for that).
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #543
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I'll listen to the Phinney broadcast again. I was only half listening. It is rather long.

My sense is he wishes to divert our attention from answers to stubborn stalls to his view that people should be ecstatic that they lost substantial weight that says off and be happy.

I think he may have something with the thyroid coming back up with increased calories. I notice I am able to drop weight if I gain a few pounds first. It is my understanding that thyroid takes several weeks to adjust. Hence, the window of opportunity. I have been eating very well for the past few weeks (meaning too much). I'm just going through a rough patch and can't take the fatigue of cutting back right now. The interesting thing is I haven't packed on pounds. My boss is convinced this is because I have been exercising. I am clearly eating more than double what I had been eating. I don't know.

I think when my daughter moves into her dorm in a few weeks, I will take another swing at it as a distraction.

I haven't heard of the inflammation blocking weight loss before. He states the LC diet is anti-inflammatory. So, well...? LC is the best we can do with this? Oh, I think he said fish oil if not getting the omega 3s from the fatty fish. I have to listen to that again. I listened a couple of days ago.

I have seen a couple of people on the board state they became diabetic while on the LC diet. Curious. I don't doubt it. I have always thought that the diabetes will become problematic for me as I get older if I don't get this weight off. I am already diabetic, it is just well controlled. My doc says I show no signs of it on blood testing, yet, I know if I ate a high carb diet it would certainly be back in an instant. I suspect things will not go well for me in 20 years in spite of my diet if I am over 200 pounds.

One last comment - I think part of the reason Jimmy is losing weight is because he is *excited* about his plan. This is how it works with me. Mind game. I have to immerse myself and if excited I will make whatever it is work. Whether it really works long term is another matter.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-28-2012 at 11:45 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #544
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for posting the info on the protein guide referenced in the podcast. I must say I am completely stumped . The protein recommended by Dr. Phinney is the same amount Dr. B, Dr. Eades, and several other calculators recommended for my height (5'1 with 1" heels). I have been eating 70g plus a little most days for the past year with carbs between 25-35g and have not lost!

I guess the recommendation I found in post 187 of the Nutritional Ketosis thread (from the Optimal diet) is what I have been doing for the past couple of weeks and will continue doing. The Optimal diet gave me a range of 51-61g a day and I have been doing about 52-53g. I can live with this fairly well. I have had a hard time eating the fat recommended which was 132-180g. Most days I'm between 110-130.

I found it interesting that he mentions that overeating protein will cause hunger (from the excess being converted). Last Saturday I was tired, bored, and eating really piecemeal. Didn't overdo the carbs...but protein ended up around 100g I was so hungry in the late afternoon that I was trying to read and just had this "I'm hungry, I'm hungry" mantra running through my head...just like my old high carb days!

Key Tones - I did low carb (Protein Power) 15 years ago and lost maybe 25-30lbs. When the weight loss stopped I drifted off the diet and everything was ok for a little while. It was sort of a "honeymoon" period. After that pleasant time, my weight started increasing and I ended up regaining all the weight plus some. Just be very careful!!

How is everyone else doing? Anyone making adjustments based on this podcast?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #545
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I thought the sentiment that we should be happy with maintaining a weight loss is 'enough' from Phinney basically meant, 'I don't know'. If he did know, we would all be at our goal. It does irritate me that the implication is to be happy with what you have achieved.

I am not happy.

I did take away the information that severe calorie restriction and or fasting are not advised for weight loss. My years of this kind of dieting should have told me this but somehow I am influenced by conventional wisdom and the suggestion (constantly and even again by Phinney) that eating too much, must be the root cause.

So I am no longer fasting or eating below 1000 cal per day. That is what I took away from the podcast. It has been a few days and as usual - no change. Maybe it needs more time or is simply inconsequential to this Zucker rat - time will tell.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 08-29-2012 at 06:29 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #546
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I thought the sentiment that we should be happy with maintaining a weight loss is 'enough' from Phinney basically meant, 'I don't know'. If he did know, we would all be at our goal. It does irritate me that the implication is to be happy with what you have achieved.
To defend Phinney, all of the research in this area points to the conclusion that it's extremely rare for people to maintain even a 5-10% weight loss. During my long stall I comforted myself with this thought.

Quote:
I am not happy.

I did take away the information that severe calorie restriction and or fasting are not advised for weight loss. My years of this kind of dieting should have told me this but somehow I am influenced by conventional wisdom and the suggestion (constantly and even again by Phinney) that eating too much, must be the root cause.

So I am no longer fasting or eating below 1000 cal per day. That is what I took away from the podcast. It has been a few days and as usual - no change. Maybe it needs more time or is simply inconsequential to this Zucker rat - time will tell.
I am hopeful that you will find something to break your stall!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #547
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mobear - no worries. I have never regained all my weight on low carb. I have gone up the scale during stressful times over the past 7 years, but nothing catastrophic. I'm just eating more food - I had cheese in my egg casserole last night and ate more meat in my salad (no dressing - at the salad bar they just have the horrid vegetable oils) yesterday. Clearly 2000-ish calories. I know from past experience I can eat at this level and maintain. I just thought I would gain before stabilization. I am confused about this, but it could be coming yet.

It was pasta and bread eating that got me to my 300+ pounds. I'm never going back there.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-29-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #548
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Mobear - no worries. I have never regained all my weight on low carb. I have gone up the scale during stressful times over the past 7 years, but nothing catastrophic. I'm just eating more food - I had cheese in my egg casserole last night and ate more meat in my salad (no dressing - at the salad bar they just have the horrid vegetable oils) yesterday. Clearly 2000-ish calories. I know from past experience I can eat at this level and maintain. I just thought I would gain before stabilization. I am confused about this, but it could be coming yet.

It was pasta and bread eating that got me to my 300+ pounds. I'm never going back there.
I'm glad to hear this . My downfall was slowly adding in carbier things because I didn't seem to be gaining. One bite led to another and you know how that went - up up and nonstop!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #549
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have been gone for a week and I am not happy with the reports from the podcast.

Cathy, I'm not happy with where I'm at either. I AM happy I am not gaining, but there have got to be answers out there. Maybe he can get us in on some of the research projects. We have a group here I'm sure would be willing to be his "lab rats".

I would love to show up at their door and stay until they find an answer.

Last edited by drjlocarb; 08-29-2012 at 10:26 AM..
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #550
Chatty Cathy

[QUOTE=mom2zeke;15906767]To defend Phinney, all of the research in this area points to the conclusion that it's extremely rare for people to maintain even a 5-10% weight loss. During my long stall I comforted myself with this thought.
/QUOTE]

Yes, I have heard this tidbit about keeping weight off but it does not address the question of getting at least close to goal weight. It is only a consolation rather than an answer to the question. Hopefully at some point there will be more information.

I do think Dr. Phinney is extremely knowledgeable on the subject of ketosis and I value that quite a lot. I hope he and others spend time working with the 'Zucker rats' of low carb and see if they can come up with some other strategies. In the meantime, I will continue in my efforts to lose weight.....
Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #551
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I have been gone for a week and I am not happy with the reports from the podcast.

Cathy, I'm not happy with where I'm at either. I AM happy I am not gaining, but there have got to be answers out there. Maybe he can get us in on some of the research projects. We have a group here I'm sure would be willing to be his "lab rats".

I would love to show up at their door and stay until they find an answer.
Amen!!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #552
Major LCF Poster!

I've been reading "Primal Body, Primal Mind," which cites Phinney and Volkek quite a lot and stresses that if your body wants to burn sugar/is insulin resistent (everybody here, raise your hand, right? ), then your body will prefer to use protein over fat and will treat extra protein like carbs and block weight loss. Thus, she recommends that people limit daily protein intake to around 50-55 grams, unless you are a very large man or an extremely active athlete. So there's another estimate of daily protein intake ... My goal, for Labor Day weekend, is to start doing nutritional ketosis blood testing daily and regular glucose testing after meals. Anything other than that seems like just guesswork to me, in terms of how much/little protein I should eat to burn some of my plentiful supply of fat on my body. Maybe I'm just looking for something I can actively do, since so much of what my body does seems outside of my control.

I agree with everyone who notes being disappointed with Phinney's "be happy with what you got."

Next Wednesday, I start seeing a paleo-oriented nutritionist for a bunch of blood tests; he seems to think he can help people like me (who "do everything right" and barely lose) discover and resolve their metabolic dysfunction. I'll keep you all updated on what tests I get and whether anything works. (Busies self lighting candles to Saint Jude, the patron saint of hopeless causes. )

Last edited by svenskamae; 08-29-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Old 08-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #553
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I'll listen to the Phinney broadcast again. I was only half listening. It is rather long.

My sense is he wishes to divert our attention from answers to stubborn stalls to his view that people should be ecstatic that they lost substantial weight that says off and be happy.

I think he may have something with the thyroid coming back up with increased calories. I notice I am able to drop weight if I gain a few pounds first. It is my understanding that thyroid takes several weeks to adjust. Hence, the window of opportunity. I have been eating very well for the past few weeks (meaning too much). I'm just going through a rough patch and can't take the fatigue of cutting back right now. The interesting thing is I haven't packed on pounds. My boss is convinced this is because I have been exercising. I am clearly eating more than double what I had been eating. I don't know.

I think when my daughter moves into her dorm in a few weeks, I will take another swing at it as a distraction.

I haven't heard of the inflammation blocking weight loss before. He states the LC diet is anti-inflammatory. So, well...? LC is the best we can do with this? Oh, I think he said fish oil if not getting the omega 3s from the fatty fish. I have to listen to that again. I listened a couple of days ago.

I have seen a couple of people on the board state they became diabetic while on the LC diet. Curious. I don't doubt it. I have always thought that the diabetes will become problematic for me as I get older if I don't get this weight off. I am already diabetic, it is just well controlled. My doc says I show no signs of it on blood testing, yet, I know if I ate a high carb diet it would certainly be back in an instant. I suspect things will not go well for me in 20 years in spite of my diet if I am over 200 pounds.

One last comment - I think part of the reason Jimmy is losing weight is because he is *excited* about his plan. This is how it works with me. Mind game. I have to immerse myself and if excited I will make whatever it is work. Whether it really works long term is another matter.
On the issue of inflammation ... supposedly having a lot of stored fat, especially abdominal fat, promotes inflammation. Great, I'd be happy to get rid of mine, if only I knew how. Anyway, I've ordered a bunch more books--a standard coping technique for me--including one by a doctor that is called "Deep Nutrition," which supposedly outlines a diet to minimize inflammation. If there's anything in there that sounds useful and isn't just "eat lowcarb," I'll post the information here.

Last edited by svenskamae; 08-29-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #554
Major LCF Poster!

I'd like to do a quick check to see if anyone here has read up on or tried potential wieghtloss solutions related to:
1) Food allergies and intolerances as a cause of weight gain or resistence to weight loss
2) Unbalanced intestinal bacteria (dysbiosis) as ditto
3) Environmental toxins as ditto (and tried doing detox methods as a solution)

What did you read? What did you try? Did it help?

I've tried eliminating dairy and gluten, but not while doing low carb, so maybe I have to try eliminating dairy while doing lowcarb. (I eat no grains, so gluten's not the issue. God knows what I eat without dairy, since I'm also keeping carbs and protein low ...)

I've had detoxing proposed as a solution--particularly for detoxing from mercury (which some people are genetically programmed to excrete easily, but some--like me--are not). I took supplements and saw a nutritionist who was focused on detoxing and had my mercury fillings replaced with porcelein compounds and took saunas for 9 months, and didn't lose an ounce. Again, that wasn't while doing low carb, so maybe I have to get back to those saunas and detoxing cilantro pesto again, on a trial basis ... I'm not optimistic but at least it doesn't do harm and maybe helps general health. I used to be unable to sweat much, no matter how hot I was or how much I worked out, and that's no longer true, which is good (but not necessarily helpful to weightloss).
Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #555
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
St Jude, yes.
So I'm doing ok for a change! Insanely busy but eating is in check and on plan.

Last edited by Speck333; 08-29-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #556
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Svenskamae - I am suspicious of detox regimens. However, you remind me that I want to get Dr. Eades book Thin so Fast. I remember that he recommends giving blood after weight loss because of the toxins released into the blood (!!!) - I think it was in that book, but I'm not sure.

I'm not interested in the book for the powdered milk recipe - it is apparent he would use whey powder now from the Middle Age Middle book he has out - but for psyching myself up again. Apparently, it is something of a protein sparing modified fast.

I think he knows something about the low carb stall problem.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-29-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Old 08-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #557
Major LCF Poster!

Svenskamae I have never done a detox program and actually gave up wheat before "Wheat Belly" came out. I suppose since I do eat out often I am still eating a little wheat, but nothing like my HC days.

My official weigh in was this morning.....and I came in at 192.2. While this is not exactly fantastic , it is lower than last weeks 192.4 and the bounce up midweek of 192.8! I'll take it by golly!!

It also proves to me that calories in/calories out and "there has to be a DEFICIT" does not work for me I've been doing 1000-1200 calories for months with no progress and a bounce up and down of 4 to 5 pounds. Trying for NK, I've been eating in the 1350-1400 range and the bounce is smaller and I seem to have lost a smidgen of weight.

I found the reference to "Primal Body Primal Mind" interesting for the protein info. In the podcast Dr. Phinney went with the protein chart from the Atkins book which is much higher than what is mentioned in the "Primal Body" book. I now believe that for me, 50 -55g daily is where I should be....though it certainly not second nature yet, nor comfortable!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #558
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, Ladies.

Svenskamae, yes, I have read some about allergies being the cause of weight gain.

Dr. Theron G. Randolph continued the research of Drs. Rinkel and Rowe on allergies.

They define allergies as the failure of the body to adapt to specific external stresses, such as specific foods, chemicals, etc.

I have started a thread about this here.

I have also incorporated much from the FailSafe Diet, eliminating things which cause problems for me.

----

You all are in my heart and thoughts.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #559
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am another who doesn't believe in detox. I basically have been eating plants and things that eat plants for 3 years. What would I be detoxing from and what would I eliminate if I was toxic? I know people who have detoxed and lost weight but....they only ate meat and plants and CUT THE CARBS and processed junk. Sound familiar?

I think the conventional "slow weight loss" remedies are focused on people on the SAD/LF diets. I really think the strategies we are looking for need to come from the LC community where this WOE is understood. Stalling on WW or low cal/ low fat would have different strategies than those for low carb.

When I look at the strategies I have tried in the last 2 years, the "helpful" ideas are all included in the things I have tried.

If I was doing a meat/egg fast, that means I cut out cheese, HWC, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, wheat, etc.

If I was eating 1 meal a day, that means my calories were significantly reduced and incorporated IF. I only ate 1 regular meal, not 3 meals at one time.

When I did the fat fast, I cut out ...well most everything. But I only did this for 5 days.

When you do all these things for a month at a time, I am pretty sure you have encompassed most of the conventional strategies.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #560
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the responses. I'll come back here to think more about them and follow up on some of the references.

I've been reading a "What To Eat" little book by the doctor who published "Deep Nutrition" and who stresses changing diet to reduce inflammation. Basically she is urging a moderately low carb (under 100 grams/day) diet that is largely primal (no frankenfoods, no junk, no sugar, avoid artificial sweeteners and MSG and "natural flavorings" in processed food, avoid additives, eat organic, eat healthy fats, etc.) I'm doing practically everything she urges already, and I imagine most of us here are doing those things, also, plus eating substantially fewer carbs. So if what we are already eating is anti-inflammatory--scratch that avenue as a possible additional approach to ending stalls. If anyone wants more detail about her do's and don'ts, let me know, because I'm happy to post a list if anyone wants it.

Something that author urges is eating organ meats, traditionally fermented foods (pickles, kimchi, yogurt), and bone broth. Of course, I heard about that already from our wonderful Auntie Em. Auntie Em, I'm going to be making beef bone broth for the first time over the weekend--thanks for your always very helpful posts.

Good point about having tried lots of the conventional strategies already, drj.

I do think that dextoxing from specific things in a targeted way can be somewhat useful for some people. For example, my body hangs onto and builds up mercury, which is not a good thing, and I don't mind eating cilantro and doing home saunas to get rid of that, since they are both good for me in general and pleasant. But reducing my body's build-up of mercury was no weightloss solution for me.

Maureen, I hope that your weight continues to inch down, so there is some progress, even if very slow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and lighting another virtual candle to St. Jude for you.

Glad you are doing okay for now, Speck!

Keytones, I read the Eades' Protein Power book but haven't looked at their other books. I'll check out the Thin So Fast one. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #561
Major LCF Poster!

I'll be reading "Practical Paleo" over the weekend and will post summaries of the author's suggestions for tailoring paleo diets to fit particular health problems and goals. The issues of interest to me are those related to high blood sugar, diabetes, and fat loss. Are there any other issues that anyone would want me to post on, if the author writes about them (e.g., thyroid health, digestive issues, etc.)?

Have a great weekend, everyone.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #562
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'll be reading "Practical Paleo" over the weekend and will post summaries of the author's suggestions for tailoring paleo diets to fit particular health problems and goals. The issues of interest to me are those related to high blood sugar, diabetes, and fat loss. Are there any other issues that anyone would want me to post on, if the author writes about them (e.g., thyroid health, digestive issues, etc.)?

Have a great weekend, everyone.
I am also interested in thyroid health. Early in 2012 I went very low carb and was eating mostly protein. When I finally had my thyroid tested the TSH was ok, but the free T3 was at 2.2 when the base of the range was 2.0. I'm probably going to have it retested on my own since my doctor was very reluctant to write the order for me. It would be interesting to see if there is anything else I can do to help my thyroid.

Thanks Miriam for any tips you can give.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #563
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
I am also interested in thyroid health. Early in 2012 I went very low carb and was eating mostly protein. When I finally had my thyroid tested the TSH was ok, but the free T3 was at 2.2 when the base of the range was 2.0. I'm probably going to have it retested on my own since my doctor was very reluctant to write the order for me. It would be interesting to see if there is anything else I can do to help my thyroid.
TSH range is quite controversial. Many doctors now go by the new range of .3-3.0 but a lot of doctors and labs use an old range. So when doctors say that TSH is okay often that's based on outdated information.
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #564
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post

Thanks Miriam for any tips you can give.
I'll be happy to post on what is mentioned for thyroid health. It sounds like a great idea to do a retest and maybe get a different doctor, especially given the information by Kristn in her post. And hypothyroid could certainly help explain your monumental difficulty losing more weight, after being so very disciplined. I think I posted information about how to arrange a full range of thyroid tests, if your doctor won't do it, in a message on this thread or in the nutritional ketosis thread. But I hope you can find a doctor who will help and order the tests under your health plan.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #565
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks svenskamae! I actually have the info already...I've just been waiting for I don't know what to go and have the test done. Even with the new lab ranges for TSH, mine was in the middle at 1.68. The problem seemed to be between the T3 and free T3 conversion. RT3 was not tested so I have no idea where that was. I was told in the thyroid forum (by one poster) that there is no such problem as conversion and that is just an internet myth. Hmm, I don't think so! Anyway I've been eating more kelp, liver, and adding sea weed seasoning to things to try and bolster my thyroid without resorting to supplements.

Anyway today wasn't great. My DH surprised me by taking me out for Chinese - which I love of course. I tried my best but think even estimating my food for my online tracker is going to be tough.

Have a great weekend and enjoy your reading
Old 09-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #566
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Svenskamae, thanks very much for your kind thoughts. I haven't mustered the courage yet to try other kinds of offal, but do find the brains and liver to be very strengthening and satisfying. I like things that are easy to cook, and which require little work. I don't soak the brains and pull off the membrane, for example. I just cut them up and braise them in pastured butter, sometimes with eggs or only yolks.

I would be interested in whatever you would like to post about things to avoid or things to do. I find that each auther emphasizes something or suggests something that others don't.

I realized, too, that I didn't write anything about "detox". I figure that avoiding grains, legumes, sweet fruits, high PUFA, etc., and most industrial foods, covers a great deal.

Rebounding (jumping on a small trampoline) "detoxes" individual cells, increases use of oxygen, strengthens mitochondria, improves lymph circulation, along with many other benefits. I find it a wonderful help.

I haven't done any special detoxes for heavy metals, but have heard good things from others who have done them. There are supplements, too, for eliminating heavy metals.

I read in a couple of places on Paleo sites, that it takes about two years on a low-PUFA diet for the excess PUFA to be eliminated from the body. I don't have any references for that. Am wondering if I'll have any improvements to report next year, when that two-year mark comes around.

I use water filters and purifiers, air filters and purifiers, and avoid fluorescent lights, when possible, limit use of cell phone, computer, and other electronic devices.

Am sending you all smiles and for a very happy week-end.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 09-01-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #567
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Auntie Em.

Nice to have some cheerleaders.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #568
Major LCF Poster!

It has been a strange day. I looked forward to it quite a bit as it was an extra day off for DH. He has, however, been in a funk all day - playing video game, watching tv, sleeping and eating.

Since he wasn't really interested in talking or anything I could share in, I decided to make 2 cheesecakes. One I made using Drjlocarbs recipe for a savory cheesecake and one I made sweet. It kept me out of his way, and in the kitchen - but not eating!

I'm continuing to eat 52-55g of protein. Just read through the Main Lobby posts today and am still befuddled by the comments that "their must be a calorie deficit". For a year I counted calories and stayed between 900-1250 a day. I kept the carbs below 30 and sometimes much lower than that. During that time I started using lower fat cheeses, light salad dressing, light this, light that. All my weight did was bounce up and down in about a 5lb range.

Now, I'm limiting protein and carbs and eating 120-130g of fat a day. Naturally, my calories are considerably higher - 1300-1500. My weekly bounce has about disappeared and I have been very close to my "stall" weight for 2 weeks. I haven't gone below my stall weight, but I am still hopeful that will happen. I don't think I can up my fat grams anymore without really eating a lot of calories and that is just plain scary

Anyway, I don't see a deficit here...weight has stabilized at higher calories - not lower
Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #569
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I'm at the point where I wonder if I know anything for certain anymore. OK, that's exaggerating, but I was once so sure of a lot things having to do with carbs and calories and protein and fat and, and, and... ::head-desk::
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #570
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Svenskamae, thanks very much for your kind thoughts. I haven't mustered the courage yet to try other kinds of offal, but do find the brains and liver to be very strengthening and satisfying. I like things that are easy to cook, and which require little work. I don't soak the brains and pull off the membrane, for example. I just cut them up and braise them in pastured butter, sometimes with eggs or only yolks.

I would be interested in whatever you would like to post about things to avoid or things to do. I find that each auther emphasizes something or suggests something that others don't.

I realized, too, that I didn't write anything about "detox". I figure that avoiding grains, legumes, sweet fruits, high PUFA, etc., and most industrial foods, covers a great deal.

Rebounding (jumping on a small trampoline) "detoxes" individual cells, increases use of oxygen, strengthens mitochondria, improves lymph circulation, along with many other benefits. I find it a wonderful help.

I haven't done any special detoxes for heavy metals, but have heard good things from others who have done them. There are supplements, too, for eliminating heavy metals.

I read in a couple of places on Paleo sites, that it takes about two years on a low-PUFA diet for the excess PUFA to be eliminated from the body. I don't have any references for that. Am wondering if I'll have any improvements to report next year, when that two-year mark comes around.

I use water filters and purifiers, air filters and purifiers, and avoid fluorescent lights, when possible, limit use of cell phone, computer, and other electronic devices.

Am sending you all smiles and for a very happy week-end.
Thanks, Auntie Em. I made bone broth from beef soup bones and from a roasted chicken carcass over the weekend, and they were delicious and really satisfying. I'm going to try to make bone-broth-making a regular part of my "stay-home-and-cook-and-clean-and-stuff" weekend day. I also collected some whey from yogurt and will be trying to make mayonnaise from scratch with added whey and some pro-biotic salsa with added whey (recipe from "The Naked Foods Cookbook"). I'm also trying to work more pro-biotic foods like kimchee into my meals.

Thanks for the information about it taking up to 2 years to get rid of extra PUFAs. Some of the nutrition books that I have been reading emphasize inflammation from PUFAs and too low ratios of Omega 3 fats as potential causes of resistence to weight loss. (Books making this point include "Real Food," "Practical Paleo," and "Deep Nutrition.") I have only recently gotten very strict about avoiding things like soybean oil in prepared salad-dressings and mayo, and I've started making a serious effort to eat more food high in Omega 3 fats. This weekend, I poached salmon, made a shrimp salad, made salad dressing from olive oil/lemonjuice/anchovies, and included salmon roe in my breakfasts, and I'll try to keep that up. Fortunately, the best fish market in town is a few minutes walk from me. I have no choice but to be patient, so I'll just try to keep being strict about avoiding unhealthy fats and increasing Omega 3 fats from fish.

Good to know about how to prepare the brains. I've had lamb brains in a Middle Eastern restaurant and found them absolutely delicious. I haven't seen brains for sale in my local food co-op, but I'll ask the guys behind the butcher counter about it. I really like tongue, too, but I don't know if that is supposed to be particularly nutritious.

I have read good things about using a rebounder, for lymphatic health and weight loss. Thanks for the recommendation. Since the use of an elliptical machine doesn't seem to be helping me, I may try using a rebounder; I feel like a sloth when I watch a film without DOING something at home, and maybe the rebounder is a better choice than "chronic cardio" on an elliptical machine.

I went back to using my infrared sauna over the weekend, and felt really good after doing it, so I'll try to keep that up, and will make some cilantro pesto and try to have 1 T. of that per day, especially to counter potential mercury buildup from increasing fish intake.

Another barrier to weight loss that I've read about is "your tired, toxic liver," so I'm drinking lemon juice in hot water in the morning (recommended by Louise Gittelman in "The Fat Flush Diet"), taking milk thistle 3 times a day (recommended by a few sources to do for 3 months), and continuing to drink lots and lots of water.

I forgot to bring in my notes from "Practical Paleo," but I'll post the fat loss and thyroid health suggestions from that here, another day.

I don't know if anything I'm trying, beyond eating lowcarb, will help with weightloss, but all these things may make me healthier, in general, and that's a good thing, too.

Tomorrow I see the Paleo-friendly nutritionist to talk about metabolic testing ... all my fingers and toes are crossed that he has some good ideas.