Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
I'm not stalled (cause I haven't started), but I just wanted to wish you all good luck! You all deserve the body you want!! Just hang in there, low carb WORKS (for most I guess).
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #512
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Thanks Auntie Em for your suggestions and Alonewithyour for your well wishes .

I am also very concerned that eating only 12% of my 1100 calories as protein is a dangerously low amount - about 33-35g a day. How can this possibly be enough protein? Following the guidelines of Dr. B and Dr. Eades I come up with 66-70g! I'm eating 55g now without a lot of difficulty, but when I drop down to 50g I find myself hungry. Lately I've been getting up in the middle of the night and eating because I am hungry and can't sleep - this is an old habit that I thought was gone....but it is back.

Dr. B recommends 30g (total) carbs a day. Last December and January I wasn't eating nearly that many carbs...most days I only ate meat/fish/poultry/cheese and mayo. Sometimes I'd have a salad if I ate out. I truly felt awful. My free T3 (energy) was 2.2 when tested with the bottom of the range being 2.0. Most sources I found including Chris Kresser and Masterjohn said eat more carbs. Since then, I have made a point to keep the carbs close to 30g and I feel much better. To get to 85% fat from this nutritional ketosis, carbs have to be below 10% for my calorie goal, which in my opinion is too low.

Anyway my biggest concern is how long can the protein be and still be safe.

Cathy I went back and reread all the comments and what I found is that when people weren't losing Jimmy mentioned upping the fat and cutting the protein to .5g/pound of LBM. I've never had any testing done to determine LBM - just used online calculator which seem to vary a lot - and come up with 85lbs so for me that would mean about 42g protein per day. I've also spent a fair amount of time with my online tracker trying to make this all work and agree it is very frustrating.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #513
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I agree that the low protein is difficult. I find myself hungry a good part of the day. Intermittent fasting has helped because I expect to be hungry.....and it really helps to keep the protein quantity in range.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #514
Major LCF Poster!

When I was struggling with very low energy in the spring I read the info on "upping the carbs" on Chris Kresser and Masterjohn's websites. I am sure now that they both meant "safe starches", but that wasn't what I did. I simply ate the carbs Dr. Bernstein recommends but made sure it was 25-35g per day total. I don't think their are any "safe starches" for a diabetic. Eating the low starch veggies in the appropriate amounts seems to give me more carbs and not spike my blood sugar. Just wanted to clarify that situation.

I read an article by Dr. Rosendale this morning and he seems to think that the appropriate protein amount is .5 or .6g/lb of lean body mass. That would give a goal of 42 - 51g of protein per day Don't know how I will ever do that!

I also noticed that Jimmy is now taking a supplement to improve his blood sugar. Can't recall the name but he now has ads on his website for it. Makes me think his fasting blood sugar may be rising.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #515
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Nothing against you , just Bobby.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #516
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
But, inquiring minds want to know....are you willing to runaround nekkid in your backyard????
is *that* the secret to weight loss!?! ::head palm:: totally!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #517
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you Auntie Em.

Looking forward to the post-mortem of that JM interview.

Am thinking of living off of coffee and butter.

I'm not even 40 yet. WTH!?!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #518
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Nothing against you , just Bobby.
Are you commenting on Dr. Rosendale??? Bobby Darin??Bobby Mitchum??

I think my brain is fried...with coconut oil and butter I assure you. Anyway I went back thru the Nutritional Ketosis thread and worked out the protein according to the formula Rebecca posted. Came up with a range of 51 - 63g/day. Since I'm coming down from protein in the 60's, I'm going to try for 52g/day which I might be able to do. The really scary part for me is upping the fat to a range of 130-182g. Even to eat at 130g/day level will be a dramatic increase in calories from about 1000-1200 all the way to 1490

Have any of my still stalled friends tried this particular formula with much higher calories? I am scared to death that I will gain...and have no idea if I can take it off. Let me know what you think, please!!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #519
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
is *that* the secret to weight loss!?! ::head palm:: totally!
Believe me, if that would do it, I'd be out the next moonless night at 3:00 a.m. prancing around the yard....in my birthday suit!!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #520
Chatty Cathy

You all are too funny!!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #521
Chatty Cathy

I sent off a question for Steve Phinney (J.M. ask the low carb experts).

Quote:
My question is about insulin testing and insulin resistance. Is insulin blood testing diagnostic for insulin resistance and if so, what is the treatment aside from a very l/c/hf/mp diet?

To give a frame work, I am post menopausal, lost 55 lbs. in 1 yr. of Atkins and still have 50 lbs. to lose. I am still in the obese category. I have been in this holding pattern for almost 2 yrs. despite all attempts (leptin reset, intermittent fasting, Atkins fat fast, calorie cycling and most recently decreasing protein and upping fat). I walk for exercise daily but that is it. I also should add that in the past 6 months I have actually regained about 6 lbs. I think I have morphed into a Zucker rat.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #522
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Great question.

Fingers crossed for an answer.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #523
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Nice, Cathy.

Us zucker rats want to know!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #524
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Are you commenting on Dr. Rosendale??? Bobby Darin??Bobby Mitchum??

I think my brain is fried...with coconut oil and butter I assure you. Anyway I went back thru the Nutritional Ketosis thread and worked out the protein according to the formula Rebecca posted. Came up with a range of 51 - 63g/day. Since I'm coming down from protein in the 60's, I'm going to try for 52g/day which I might be able to do. The really scary part for me is upping the fat to a range of 130-182g. Even to eat at 130g/day level will be a dramatic increase in calories from about 1000-1200 all the way to 1490

Have any of my still stalled friends tried this particular formula with much higher calories? I am scared to death that I will gain...and have no idea if I can take it off. Let me know what you think, please!!
Hi, Maureen. I have my testing kit and strips but still haven't tried them out. My official excuse is that I haven't had time to read through the documentation, since I'm doing a lot of overtime work, but I think I'm also afraid that I'll get the bad news that I'm not in ketosis and have to slash protein intake and up fat intake dramatically to get there.

The Phinney and Volek book puts the percentages for fat, for ketosis, at 65% to 80% or more. If you aimed for the lower end of that--65% fat--would you still have to up your calories? (Sorry if this should be evident from your post or previous posts, and I'm just being lazy in not doing the math.) I empathize about worrying about upping calories to hit a fat target-- that's another reason why I keep putting off doing the blood testing, because making changes makes me nervous about possibly gaining weight or feeling hungry most of the time.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #525
Major LCF Poster!

svenskamae

Good questions. I went back through the Nutritional Ketosis thread to post #187 where Rebecca explains how she came up with protein, fat, and carbs.

My protein came up at 57g (+ or -10%). Since I previously ate at a higher range I decided to go lower. It seems hard for me to go below 50g so I settled on 52g/day.

Fat is supposed to be 2.5 - 3.5 x protein grams. That gives me a range of 130-182g of fat. This range is much higher than what I have been doing for the last month. Most days my fat grams are around 85g and based on about 1200 calories.

According to Rebecca's information carbs are supposed to be 50% of protein grams. Since I'm aiming for 52g protein, my carbs should be about 26-28g. This is very close to what I have been doing for a long time as Dr. Bernstein indicates 30g total per day.

Eating at 1200 calories and about 65 - 70% fat hasn't caused any weight loss. My 5lbs bounce from week to week has gotten smaller....this morning I was at 192.8 which is within a pound of my lowest weight. I have also been quite hungry doing this...which is leading to night time eating which leads to not as good blood sugar readings.

I think I have to either just accept the 1200cal/85g fat that I've been doing for now or try this new method. The constant adjusting gives me fits. Trying to eat 85% fat on 1200 calories just seems impossible to me and very frustrating!! I am just scared to death that I will gain weight with that much more fat.

Since I already pay a lot for my diabetes supplies, buying the blood ketone strips is out of the question (even with a free meter).

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated
Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #526
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Maureen. Your answers to my questions are admirably clear. Sadly, I don't have anything helpful to suggest. My reading of the (skimpy) available information on nutritional ketosis suggests that one sets a protein grams level and a carb level, and then the rest is fat--but the amount of fat intake can vary. Phinney and Volek say that athletes who are trying to lose weight can reduce the amount of fat they eat, while athletes trying to maintain weight will eat more fat.

I'm really sorry that eating at 1200 calories and about 65-75% fat hasn't led to any weight loss for you. I agree that eating 85% fat on 1200 calories sounds almost impossible to me, too.

Along with finding it really hard to work out a menu/recipes that fits those proportions, I hate the fact that it seems to steer one toward what feels like a sort of non-meal highfat snack style of eating--fat bombs, coffee with cream or butter or coconut oil, cream cheese, macademia nuts, etc.--that doesn't feel satisfying to me. Sorry if that sounds picky or whiny, but I had hoped to have a woe built around low starch veggies, proteins, and fats combined in salads and casseroles and soups, rather than lots of high fat snacks. Maybe I just have to get used to the idea of modifying my diet further, but it's hard after one has already given up so much (grains, high starch vegetables, sweets, enough protein to satisfy hunger, alcohol, legumes, etc.).

I'm just thinking out loud here, but is there any chance that your medical plan/insurance would pay for part of the cost of the blood ketone strips, especially if your doctor was supportive, since you are on record as being diabetic? I posted here earlier that the cost to me of a meter and 40 strips was $112 from American Diabetes Warehouse; additional boxes of strips will cost $24 for a box of 10.

That still leaves open the question of what you could possibly change if you did the nutritional ketosis testing and your body wouldn't test as being "in ketosis" (level 0.5-3.0), since you are already being so disciplined in limiting carbs and protein? Or what you could do if you tested as being "in nutritional ketosis" but still weren't losing weight despite "getting the right test numbers"? Since you are already being so restrictive in your intake of food, I'm not sure that the blood testing meter could help you further.

So I guess that all I can send you is some hugs ...

On a side note, I see that one of the experts that Jimmy Moore consults, Dr. Mary C. Gannon, is associated with the university where I work. (I work as a researcher, but on population/social science topics rather than medical ones). Gannon is an adjunct professor in the Dept of Food Science and Nutrition, an Associate Professor of Medicine, and the Director of Metabolic Research at the V.A. Medical Center. I'll start by reading her publications--she has some on dietary treatment of type 2 diabetes and on protein intake and diabetes. Maybe I can eventually offer to take her out to lunch if she'll chat with me about some of the questions posed by people on this thread ... I have to get past my latest set of work deadlines first, but I'll try to do it eventually, if that will help me and others here.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #527
Major LCF Poster!

Has anyone here read the book "The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, and Heart Disease," by Russell Farris? I heard this referenced on a blog radio show from the guy who developed "Bulletproof Coffee" (Dave Asprey), and checked the reviews on Amazon. They are mixed; some claim that the author doesn't say how to solve the problem, so it's just depressing. Anyway, since there's an openness to alternative approaches and explanations here, I thought someone might want to look into this. I put it into my cart at Amazon, but I'm not sure that I'll order it any time soon. Just FYI.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #528
Major LCF Poster!

I've been listening to Paleo podcasts as background noise while doing some rote work, and here's another book that was mentioned: Mira Calton and Jayson Calton, Naked Calories: How Micronutrients can Maximize Weight Loss, Prevent Disease and Enhance Life." The review on Amazon are very mixed, some rave about it, some say it's just an infomercial for selling the authors' own vitamin supplement. Just thought I'd mention it, if anyone feels like following another research path.

Update: Well, I don't think this Naked Calorie book is going to help anyone here. You can hear the authors on "The Balanced Bites Podcast" for 1/24/12. This is the argument: industrial farming produces food depleted of micronutritients. In trying to compensate for their absence, people who are overweight eat too much (understandably). Yup, it's the gluttony argument again, though it's gluttony and micro-nutrient-malnutrition this time, rather than gluttony and sloth this time. Sorry, folks.

Last edited by svenskamae; 08-23-2012 at 06:31 PM..
Old 08-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #529
Major LCF Poster!

Well, the last 2 days I've upped the fat to 80% and calories to almost 1400. I haven't done any middle of the night eating, which is a good thing. However, I do feel like I'm force feeding myself fat.

My stall weight is 192.8 - with one dip to 191.8. Yesterday I came in at 192.4....so maybe this means something....but who knows!

DH wants to do a short road trip this weekend which concerns me a little. I'm still doing a lot of food logging and trying to figure out how to up the fat so I am going to really miss having computer access. Hope this doesn't really screw things up!

I'll be interested in hearing about Jimmy's podcast last night. Can I download those directly to my computer from his website? I listened to a couple from ITunes, but generally my DH uses that computer so I don't have much access to it (he plays games). It seemed like after I listened to a couple of them from ITunes they wanted me to subscribe and I was reluctant to do that...would rather just pick the ones that I'm more interested in.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. If I can get wifi, I might be online.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #530
Chatty Cathy

Mobear, that is very encouraging news! I am sure you can do well over the weekend.

I do subscribe to Jimmy's podcasts but listen to them on my i pod and do that through itunes so not sure about downloading from his website although I think I will go try and I will let you know if I am successful.

The episode is not up yet - this afternoon....

Last edited by clackley; 08-24-2012 at 05:06 AM..
Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #531
Major LCF Poster!

The Phinney podcast is up on the "ask the lowcarb experts" website. Clackley's question was asked (as "Cathy's question"), and mine was asked (as "Miriam's question," since Miriam is my real name). Another question referenced this forum, so I imagine we "know" some other people who sent in questions. Sadly, I don't think there was anything revealed that people here haven't dealt with or thought about.

I took some notes, and here are some points I jotted down. Phinney doesn't support fasting as a technique, because getting too little protein in a day leads to loss of muscle mass, up to 1 lb/day. (So much for Abby's argument that nobody loses any muscle until she is down to 5% body fat.) He concedes that eating 2 meals with adequate protein would be fine.

He emphasizes taking in an adequate/modest amount of protein, a low absolute number of carbs, and the rest fat--however, the PERCENT matters less than the absolute AMOUNT of protein/carbs, and the fat can be dialed down. One can gain weight, or not lose weight, on a ketogenic diet, if too much fat is eaten (on top of adequate protein and minimal carbs). He considers less than 25 carbs/day extremely difficult to maintain.

He doesn't think calories should go under 800 a day, and at another point says don't go under 1000-1200 calories/day. He doesn't like JUDD because he thinks "the body likes consistency," but I didn't have the sense that he had fully looked into JUDD results. (He seemed to think it would throw one's body into a panic, rather than encouraging fat loss.)

He says that some people hit a plateau, maintain for 6-12 months, and then if they cut carbs further, they may start losing again, but there's no guarantee. He considers keeping weight off, even at a high final weight, a victory. He says don't do cheats, because it's hard to get back into ketosis.

He says exercising more than 2 hours a day, for some people, results in reduction of resting metabolic rate, and that one should take off 1-2 days/week from exercising.

I asked what factors in addition to insulin resistence can block weight loss. He mentioned thyroid, iron deficiency, and said to work with a sympathetic-to-low carb physician if one does everything right and still doesn't lose. (Pretty much the same answer to Cathy's question, and to some other questions.) He talked about the need to get doses right for thyroid insufficiency. If calories go very low, under 1000/day, thyroid functioning drops, but it goes up again if calories increase; no evidence that being ketoadapted hurts thyroid functioning.

Dietary essentials he mentioned were getting some omega 6 and omega 3 fats every day; encouraged eating fish or taking fish oil; mentioned risk of too little potassium and magnesium if calories are too low. He says that eating "the right kinds" of fat are important--i.e., not polysaturated vegetable oils, but instead monosaturated fats and saturated fats.

He mentioned inflammation as a problem several times; supposedly, inflammation is reduced by a ketoadapted diet. A reason for being hungier at TOM relates to increased inflammation in the luteal phase of the cycle. I suppose one could explore other factors in inflammation and try to change them, as another thing to tweak, but he didn't directly say that reducing inflammation helps weight loss.

His recommended amounts for protein intake can be checked by looking in the protein table in the "Low Carb Living" book; this is 1.2-2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. He repeatedly mentioned that eating too much protein can prevent ketogenesis and block weight loss, but he doesn't set protein levels super low.

So, no magic bullet there, but maybe something is useful to someone here ...
Old 08-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #532
Chatty Cathy

Thank you Miriam for this breakdown. I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet but have it loaded and ready to go.

I have been doing a couple of things that he apparently doesn't like - cal. below 1000 and intermittent fasting. Neither of these has helped so I am happy to abandon them. I am also happy to hear from an expert that thyroid function drops with low cal. Another reason to give up that little bit of torture!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #533
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Thank you Miriam for this breakdown. I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet but have it loaded and ready to go.

I have been doing a couple of things that he apparently doesn't like - cal. below 1000 and intermittent fasting. Neither of these has helped so I am happy to abandon them. I am also happy to hear from an expert that thyroid function drops with low cal. Another reason to give up that little bit of torture!
If something isn't working and is just making your life harder, by all means, give it up, if it doesn't make you gain! I worry a bit about people who are doing less than 1000 calories for any length of time, though obviously everyone has to make their own decisions. The point about thyroid function is that it drops "appropriately" if calories go very low, but then goes back up (assuming no organic dysfunction) if calories go higher; there's no lasting damage to thyroid functioning from low calories or low carb per se.

The most heartening thing he said, IMO, is that sometimes people who have lost a lot of weight while doing low carb stay at a plateau for a long time--say, 6 months to a year or longer--and then if they try dropping their carbs further for a while, they MIGHT start losing again. (I remember reading that the woman behind the "Low Carb Luxury" online magazine was stalled for over a year, and then for no obvious reason starting slowly losing again, as one example.) So maybe that's a suggestion for keeping one's carbs at the highest level that works for "involuntary maintenance" for a while, and then dropping them further to see if that helps. But he doesn't know the mechanism that lies behind starting to lose again, and considers staying at an above-goal weight for a year or longer a huge victory that is rare in the general population. Also, there were other examples referenced that have had an experience similar to Maureen's--that being in nutritional ketosis helps with blood sugar control, but that doesn't necessarily translate into weight loss.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #534
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the notes svenskamae!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #535
Chatty Cathy

How is everyone doing?

I finally finished the podcast with Dr. Phinney and came away with the conviction that how I have been 'working my woe' may have been pretty flawed for a long time now with my intermittent fasting. I have resolved to give it up (except for situations where it is, eat off plan or fast) and see what happens over the next couple of months. I will continue with moderate protein as well.

If I am not going to lose, I might as well not be hungry too.

There was a question towards the end of the interview in which a woman said she had been low carbing for many years and during that time had developed type 2 diabetes. Is that even possible?????

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 08-28-2012 at 06:29 AM..
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #536
Major LCF Poster!

I just did another biometric assessment for my insurance plan and found that I have lost a total of 4 pounds in the last 3 months. Those are months in which I did not eat any grains, high starch vegetables, alcohol, regular or artificial sweeteners, legumes, or balsamic vinegar; almost never ate fruit; kept my calories around 1200/day and my net carbs under 30/day; walked an average of 7.5 miles a day; frequently spent 1-2 hours on an elliptical machine at a high level of resistence; drank copious amounts of water; limited protein intake; prepared almost everything I ate from scratch (no convenience foods, no Frankenfoods, pretty much paleo plus dairy); and for the last few weeks did intermittent fasting in the form of eating only during an 8 hour window. At this rate, assuming I continued to even lose anything, I would be non-obese in about 3 years and reach my goal weight in about 5 years.

I know that losing 4 pounds in 3 months is better than losing nothing, but my weightloss slowed to a crawl when I still had about 70 pounds to lose before I would be at the high end of "normal" BMI. So I am pretty darn frustrated. I have the supplies to do the nutritional ketosis testing, but haven't done it yet; I guess starting that will be my goal for Labor Day weekend. That's the only thing that I know to do that I'm not currently doing; in response to the results, I may end up cutting my protein intake further.

I had a tiny improvement in fasting blood glucose (from 105 down to 103) and my blood pressure is now averaging in the 130s rather than the 140s over 80s. According to the scale used in this test, my body fat percentage rose from 44% to 47%, but I'm going to assume that scale measure isn't very accurate. The rest of my indicators were fine before and are fine now.

Along with doing the nutritional ketosis blood testing, I'm going to make an appointment at a place called "Twin Cities Metabolism," which came up as a link under the Paleo Physicians list online. It's supposedly aimed at people dealing with "Type II Diabetes, Obesity and Resistent Weight Loss, Hormone Imbalance, and Digestive Disorders," with an emphasis on lifestyle therapies rather than drugs; the person in charge is a chiropractor and nutritionist. They start with testing thyroid, andrenals, liver, sex hormones, and pancreas, which is the main reason I'm planning to go there. I'll let you all know how it goes and what they test, in case you want to try to get any of the same sort of tests.

I hope it isn't inappropriate to complain on this thread, where many people are experiencing a dead stop in weight loss, rather than just excruciatingly slow rate of loss.

Cathy, I don't remember the question about low carbing and developing type 2 diabetes. I guess if one had a genetic predisposition to diabetes, it would be possible to develop it while lowcarbing. One could say, how is it possible to not lose weight when lowcarbing and limiting calories, but people here could testify that it's very possible. Eating low carb for 7 months doesn't seem to be doing much to lower my fasting blood sugar, which is borderline diabetic. So developing Type 2 diabetes while lowcarbing seems not impossible to me.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #537
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I just did another biometric assessment for my insurance plan and found that I have lost a total of 4 pounds in the last 3 months. Those are months in which I did not eat any grains, high starch vegetables, alcohol, regular or artificial sweeteners, legumes, or balsamic vinegar; almost never ate fruit; kept my calories around 1200/day and my net carbs under 30/day; walked an average of 7.5 miles a day; frequently spent 1-2 hours on an elliptical machine at a high level of resistence;
Do you think that you could have downregulated your metabolism by restricting calories along with the amount of exercise that you're doing? Dr. Phinney talked about it in the podcast. I know that before my wedding 4.5 years ago I was exercising excessively along with restricting calories/carbs and after a small loss my weight loss stopped dead in its tracks.

I'm glad that you're getting all of the testing done! As you know, I credit getting tested and treated for Thyroid (and some other hormone issues) with big part of my success.
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #538
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Do you think that you could have downregulated your metabolism by restricting calories along with the amount of exercise that you're doing? Dr. Phinney talked about it in the podcast. I know that before my wedding 4.5 years ago I was exercising excessively along with restricting calories/carbs and after a small loss my weight loss stopped dead in its tracks.

I'm glad that you're getting all of the testing done! As you know, I credit getting tested and treated for Thyroid (and some other hormone issues) with big part of my success.
Well, exercising hasn't helped me, but I don't know that it's actually the problem. I could drop the elliptical machine, but I can't stop walking--that's how I get to and from work, to and from the grocery store, etc. After decades of not driving, I'm not going to start now.

I guess I'll try switching from the elliptical to resistence-based exercise--like starting a Curves membership and doing T-Tapp or Callenetics--and see if I can at least lose some inches.

I hope that the testing uncovers something that can be dealt with.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #539
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Well, exercising hasn't helped me, but I don't know that it's actually the problem. I could drop the elliptical machine, but I can't stop walking--that's how I get to and from work, to and from the grocery store, etc. After decades of not driving, I'm not going to start now.
I walk 3+ miles a day myself to and from work. I don't think the walking is the problem.

Quote:
I guess I'll try switching from the elliptical to resistence-based exercise--like starting a Curves membership and doing T-Tapp or Callenetics--and see if I can at least lose some inches.
I really think that Mark Sisson has something with the moving every day (walking), Lift heaving things a couple of times a week (resistance training), and sprinting type exercise once a week. Since I have been following this type of program I haven't felt overtrained. I do kettlebells 2-3 times a week along with walking and it seems to work for me. I haven't done the sprinting but the kettlebells incorporate HIIT so I feel like I'm doing enough.

Quote:
I hope that the testing uncovers something that can be dealt with.
I hope so too! I'm crossing my fingers for you.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #540
Chatty Cathy

No problem complaining about excruciatingly slow weight loss. I am sure there are many similarities to the issue as no weight loss. Sorry you are struggling.