Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I've noticed that it's easiest to find high fat, lower protein recipes if one looks in the appetizer section of cookbooks, so I'm not surprised to hear that, drjlocarb. Your stuffed mushroom dinner sounds delicious.

I'll try to post some more high fat recipes, soon; some that I noticed as good prospects were hot crab dip and hot artichoke dip. Cream Soups made with cream rather than milk seem like a good possibility too. And then there's low carb cheesecake (including the sweet ones) and custards made with cream; maybe I'll have to break down and start eating artificial sweeteners after all. Oh, I also found a liver pate recipe with lots of butter. And then there's hollandaise sauce and bernaise sauce ...

Last edited by svenskamae; 07-23-2012 at 03:56 PM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Welcome back Speck. As you can see we are all eating fat....butter, coconut oil, etc. My blood sugar has been better and steady for the last week. No weight loss yet, but I'm hopeful as I've reduced my mealtime insulin by 5 units total

I tried Drjlocarbs savory cheesecake recipe with ham and it is very good. Going to make a pizza one soon

Hope you had a good time on your camping trip.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #423
Major LCF Poster!

One cautious . Weighed in this morning and am at 192.6 - not virgin territory, but lower than I have been for a few weeks.

I've been lowering my mealtime insulin, but waking up around 60 as a fasting number which is a tad too low. I got really brave last night and reduced my long acting insulin by 1unit....not much but fasting this morning was 70. I'm going out of town on my own tomorrow so I am stressing about my food, possibility of low blood sugar, etc. I won't have computer access so I am going to have to track my food on paper and then enter it when I get back home.

I could probably fit all my clothes and haircare stuff in a shopping bag. Need a cooler for all the food I am taking: drjlocarbs savory pizza cheesecake (made 2 yesterday); hb eggs; homemade mayo; creamcheese clouds; Larry's fridge fudge; pepperoni sticks; a couple of ozs of nuts; and coconut manna which I just bought!

Hope everyone is doing well. Oh, I had some avocoda yesterday and thought it was ok so I'm going to try some of the salad dressing that Sven posted - maybe in the Nutritional Ketosis thread.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #424
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...a-tapioca.html

Here is another recipe for either more to eat(made with almond milk) -OR- a way to get more fat(made with HWC).

I used DaVinci SF French Vanilla instead of water.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #425
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
One cautious . Weighed in this morning and am at 192.6 - not virgin territory, but lower than I have been for a few weeks.

I've been lowering my mealtime insulin, but waking up around 60 as a fasting number which is a tad too low. I got really brave last night and reduced my long acting insulin by 1unit....not much but fasting this morning was 70. I'm going out of town on my own tomorrow so I am stressing about my food, possibility of low blood sugar, etc. I won't have computer access so I am going to have to track my food on paper and then enter it when I get back home.

I could probably fit all my clothes and haircare stuff in a shopping bag. Need a cooler for all the food I am taking: drjlocarbs savory pizza cheesecake (made 2 yesterday); hb eggs; homemade mayo; creamcheese clouds; Larry's fridge fudge; pepperoni sticks; a couple of ozs of nuts; and coconut manna which I just bought!

Hope everyone is doing well. Oh, I had some avocoda yesterday and thought it was ok so I'm going to try some of the salad dressing that Sven posted - maybe in the Nutritional Ketosis thread.
I'm glad to hear that you have been having positive results in terms of both the scale (hope it continues ) and your blood sugar results, Mobear! Sounds like a good list of foods to stay on plan. I hope you like that avocado dressing; if you prefer creamy-style dressing, I think one could mix in some sour cream, too.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...a-tapioca.html

Here is another recipe for either more to eat(made with almond milk) -OR- a way to get more fat(made with HWC).

I used DaVinci SF French Vanilla instead of water.
Thanks, drjolocarb! I used to love tapioca pudding, so I'd like to try a lowcarb version. This will be my first venture into using chia seeds. I'm getting used to things not really being sweet, so it might work find for me if I just use the HWC and skip the sweetener--or put just a few raspberries on top as a treat.

I found a moussaka recipe that Charski had posted which has a pretty high ratio of fat to protein, and I'm planning on trying that out soon; I've got the lamb and the eggplant at home in the fridge. If it works out well, I'll post that here--or post the link to Charski's recipe, if I can figure out how to do that. (I work with computers and data analysis all the time, but I'm a dummy about how to do some Internet-related stuff. ) If anyone can send me the "post a link to somewhere else on this site" instructions for dummies, I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ipes-here.html

The one in this thread?

I know how to post, but I don't know the correct terms to tell you how.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ipes-here.html

The one in this thread?

I know how to post, but I don't know the correct terms to tell you how.
Yup, that's the one! Thanks for doing the link for me. I'll try to cut and paste in the URL myself next time, and see if that works. I need to remember to bring in the recipe cards where I wrote down some relatively high fat recipes and post some more recipes. I find that even the books about eating lowcarb which suggest limiting protein don't actually have many recipes that have a decent fat-to-protein ratio, so I'm grateful when I find any or someone posts some, like you have done.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

Here's a high fat, moderate protein, minimal carb recipe I got from The Schwartbein Principle Cookbook:

Chicken Liver Pate
1 lb chicken livers
1 cup softened unsalted butter
1/4 c. chopped onion
Seasoning: 1t dry mustard, 1T. anchovy paste, 1/4 t. nutmeg, dash cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.

Cover liver with water in small saucepan, bring to boil, and simmer on low heat until tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain and cool slightly. Add to food processor with softened butter and seasoning. Puree. Spoon into bowl and chill.
Stats from entering recipe into online tracker:
Total calories: 2211
Fat grams: 210
Portein grams: 81
Net carbs: 4
Calorie breakdown: 1% carbs, 85% fat, 14% protein. I would think of this as having 4 servings (4 oz liver/person), but there's nothing hard and fast about that. I'd use it as a dip with raw veggies or on a flax cracker.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #430
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
svenskamae--thanks for posting this recipe! I LOVE chicken liver pate.
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Here's another recipe from the Schwartzbein cookbook, but I think the fat figures are underestimated below:
Tomato-Olive-Chevre Spread/Dip
1 cup sundried tomatoes in olive oil
1/2 cup goat cheese/chevre
1 cup chopped, oil cured olives
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. chopped parsley
1 t. lemon zest
Pepper

Combine all ingredients, including oil from tomatoes, in food processor. Adjust seasoning. Serve with raw veggies.
From my calculations on fat secret:
629 calories, 49 grams fat, 22 grams protein, and 24.5 carbs for the total. However, the only figures I could find for sundried tomatoes in oil assumed that the oil had been "drained" and the number for oil-cured olives comes from "Greek olives" only. So the fat to protein ratio and calorie count may be considerably higher.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #432
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
just popping in to say "hi"! I've been busy all week and feel lucky to just be staying low carb. I have no idea when I'll be able to get back to the high fat experiment. But at least I've lost the "camping weight". lol
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #433
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Spec! I'm glad you took off the "camping weight" and checked in here.

Here's another high fat recipe, for Ranch-Style Salad Dressing
1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise (NOT made with soybean oil, not with sugar)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 garlic clove, minced
1 t. Dijon mustad
1/2 t. dried dill
Salt and pepper, and any other herds you like.

Shake well in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and chill for several hours before using.

Fat secret breakdown: 1058 calories for 1 cup, 120 grams fat, 7 grams carbs, 4 grams protein.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #434
Major LCF Poster!

Last of my recipes:

Mix 8 oz softened cream cheese with 1/2 cup preprepared basic pesto. Voila, dip!
1292 calories, 129 grams fat (90%), 8 gram net carbs (3%), 23 gram protein (7%).

Blender hollandaise sauce
1 stick butter
3 egg yolks
2 T. fresh lemon juice
Pinch cayenne

Melt butter over low heat. In blender or food processor, mix the egg yolks, lemon juice, and cayenne. With motor running, add melted butter in a slow stream. Blend for 30 seconds or until thick. Serve with broccoli, asparagus, and/or poached eggs.
For sauce, total of 981 calories, 105 grams fat (97%), 4 grams net carbs (1%), 9 grams protein (2%).

Final idea: Make guacamole according to your favorite recipe. Serve over salad greens as a meal rather than as a dip.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #435
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How is it going for our stalled group??

I will check Nutr. ketosis when I feel that I am back where I want to be.

Where are the rest of you?

Cathy, what is going on??
Old 07-31-2012, 03:48 AM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

I'm still moving along . Last Wednesday I weighed 192.6. I cheated this morning and weighed in but was back up to 194.4 . My "official" weigh in will be Thursday morning and I'm hoping to see 192 again.

Lowering protein is an ongoing effort. I was between 50-55g of protein for the week and this week I am going to try for 50g/day. I'm adjusting insulin as I go and have now reduced my regular (for meals) from a total of 21/day to 15/day. My long acting is down from 40u to 39u and depending on how things go, I may try for 38u.

Doing this is still not second nature and is taking a lot of thinking and figuring. My main concern is really blood sugar control and sustainability. I am praying some weight loss will come my way too.

I read that Jimmy is down to 12% protein.....and since I am aiming for 1200 calories I can't even imagine going that low. Honestly, I can't imagine going any lower that 50g!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #437
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am stymied.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #438
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I am busy and barely hanging on! Lol
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I am stymied.
Cathy, I imagine you have had your thyroid checked, but there is a battery of tests for thyroid functioning, and most doctors just order one standard test which may miss some types of thyroid problems.

There's a company called "Health Check USA" that will do various types of thyroid testing from a blood draw, without an order from a doctor. (If you Google their name and "thyroid screens and panels," you should be able to locate the website.) The cost, depending on the number and type of tests, ranges from $50 to $425. I thought that hypothyroid might be behind why I couldn't lose any weight when I was eating lots of "healthy whole grains," but the issue for me was insulin resistence. Anyway, I remember reading up on the various thyroid tests then. Other places where I found detailed information on thyroid testing and hypothyroidism were Mary Shoman's books and the website for the Broda Barnes Foundation. I think the Barnes Foundation used to supply information about doctors who were open to non-standard diagnostic criteria, on request; I can supply the information about that, which I read in one of Fran McCullough's books about lowcarbing, if you want it.

If you've already completely ruled out thyroid issues, then I apologize for raising this, but hypothyroidism is something that can absolutely prevent weight loss (even with heroic efforts at diet and exercise) and is underdiagnosed and undertreated at the population level, especially for women.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #440
Major LCF Poster!

Anyone who is stalled for a very long time should get their thyroid tested. I just spent the past year going to 4 doctors trying to get my thyroid treated correctly. I had symptoms for 25 years but was always told that I was fine and that my tests were normal. Finally I got the right tests and found out that I wasn't fine. There is a lot of good information on the thyroid board here at LCFs .
Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #441
Chatty Cathy

I have gone down the thyroid road and come up empty. I will qualify that with the fact that I operate under the health care system that dictates the fairly limited amount of testing that is routinely done. Seems that so far, I am within the normal ranges. Testing will be repeated again in the fall.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #442
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have gone down the thyroid road and come up empty. I will qualify that with the fact that I operate under the health care system that dictates the fairly limited amount of testing that is routinely done. Seems that so far, I am within the normal ranges. Testing will be repeated again in the fall.
Not to beat a dead horse, but the normal lab range for TSH (the test most often used to screen thyroid) has not been updated at most labs. When you get your test in the fall get a copy of the results. The "new" range is .3-3.0 which is much narrower than the old range. My new endo uses an even narrower range .8-1.3, and many up-to-date doctors here will treat with a TSH over 2 and symptoms.

I am passionate about this because it honestly changed my life to get correctly treated (after years of being told I was in the normal range by uninformed doctors). I will now shut up.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #443
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hi all,

I haven't said much at all.

I've still been experimenting. I have slacked off endurance exercise for a week and a half. I hope to get back to it soon. Working a lot of hours.

It is my hope that this formula will continue to work. I think I am down about six pounds this month. I am a bit sad that it has to come down to so much physical activity. I don't believe it is the calories burned. I think it helps with the insulin resistance and maybe gets other hormones to do their jobs. I still carb up for endurance exercise (as in hours of biking on weekend).

Will report more later. Still eating less fat, sticking to butter only for fat (on vegetables) no cheese no nuts etc. I tried dropping the Greek yogurt for a couple of days but I am starving. Some secret sauce for me I guess. I think it is the calcium and high protein content that digests more slowly than whey.

Regarding thyroid - I have has mine checked full panel. Wish I could say that was the problem. It is fine. I was stalled a loooooong time before shaking it up.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations on losing those 6 pounds this month, Key Tones. I know you worked very hard on exercise, and I'm glad there was some payoff for you--whatever the mechanism behind the losses.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #445
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am stymied.
I am not happy with your results.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #446
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

I've been listening to youtube interview of Dr. Mary Vernon by Andreas Eenfeldt, called "Low Carb Explained," and they talk briefly about interventions for people who do not lose weight even when eating very lowcarb. They talk in passing (briefly) about incretins, which wikipedia describes as "a group of gastrointestinal hormones that cause an increase in the amount of insulin released from the beta cells of the islets of Langerhans after eating, even before blood glucose levels become elevated." There are apparently some medications developed to deal with this.

I don't know if this would be a useful avenue for anyone here to explore, but I know that there are people who have been stalled for a long time and who have tried everything one can think of. Maybe these incretins are something to explore, if you are looking for something else to consider ... Just a thought, ignore if it's not helpful.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #448
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy, are you giving up on the HF/LP?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #449
Chatty Cathy

I don't know what I am doing anymore. What is happening with you?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #450
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was doing well, but I lost two beloved pets in the last 2 weeks and things kinda fell apart. I have been in ketosis(urine sticks) and 5 lbs from my stall weight, but I think all the rum is not helping the situation.

I have been watching the Nutr ketosis thread and things don't look real promising over there.