Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Mobear, I'm becoming fairly sure I have familial hypercholesterolemia because all my numbers are out of whack. My LDL in Jan was 333, up 80 points from 6 months before that. My total chol was 447, up 109 from previously. My trigs have steadily been going down (118, -21) and my HDL has been going up (67, +17) but neither by as much. I'm just not really sure how much to worry about it, though.

My understanding of it is that the body can't clear out the old LDL so basically you get jammed up with it. Next week I'm getting my blood tests then donating blood as often as I can. Hope that makes a difference by the time my next blood work is done. That's what my next question to Dr. B. is going to be!
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #302
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Cathy, I am planning on going VLC next week and to stay LC through fair week, then doing lower ptn and high fat the week after that. I am looking at WHAT adequate protein looks like. I have been eating mostly high protein/low carb/high fat for the main part of 1 year.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #303
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
My cold is still hanging on with a bit of cough and congestion, but it's residual, and normal for me for it to be like this. Another 3 or 4 days of it I bet. Amazing how long it can take to establish good routines and implement plans, then have them blow up when I get sick. I have been eating low carb consistently, but all my high fat/lower protein/low carb goals have been completely ignored. So has almost all exercise. My cleaning/chore schedule. Just about everything. Ok, well, tomorrow is another day!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Me too!

HOW'S IT GOIN!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Not very happy with myself this morning. DH and I went to a baseball game with friends last night. I had 2 sausages without the bun and a small salad that had a few raspberries. I ate one very delicious strawberry and that was ok I thought. Unfortunately sometime later, during one of the rain delays, I got really bored and ate about 20 tortilla chips with salsa and 2 breaded chicken strips. I knew this would be disastrous so why the heck did I do it???

My blood sugar was 187 after the game and I ended up taking an additional 5units of regular insulin in addition to my long acting insulin. Fasting bg this morning was still 105. This is not the path to weight loss or anyplace I want to go.

I had homemade chicken salad this morning with homemade mayo. Don't know what the rest of the day will be yet...probably a salad and a bunless burger. I'm still working on reducing the protein to 55-60g and am finding it difficult. No change in weight...just up and down the same few pounds.

Sorry to be such a downer...I just feel sad that the WOE that I thought would solve my issues with weight and blood sugar control doesn't seem to quite do that.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #306
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It's ok Maureen. That is a big part of why we are all here. I think there is an answer but not sure what.

I am not a diabetic or even pre and yet, my b.g. was 120 this morning after 1 coffee/hwc and a.s., 1 p.b. cup and a km. walk. I DON'T get it....

I am continuing with the moderate protein and give it 3 months..... what else is there to do?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #307
Blabbermouth!!!

Mobear, I know the frustration of giving in. It's like a switch is thrown and you're just eating something you had previously resolved you wouldn't and... well
Old 07-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Not very happy with myself this morning. DH and I went to a baseball game with friends last night. I had 2 sausages without the bun and a small salad that had a few raspberries. I ate one very delicious strawberry and that was ok I thought. Unfortunately sometime later, during one of the rain delays, I got really bored and ate about 20 tortilla chips with salsa and 2 breaded chicken strips. I knew this would be disastrous so why the heck did I do it???

My blood sugar was 187 after the game and I ended up taking an additional 5units of regular insulin in addition to my long acting insulin. Fasting bg this morning was still 105. This is not the path to weight loss or anyplace I want to go.

I had homemade chicken salad this morning with homemade mayo. Don't know what the rest of the day will be yet...probably a salad and a bunless burger. I'm still working on reducing the protein to 55-60g and am finding it difficult. No change in weight...just up and down the same few pounds.

Sorry to be such a downer...I just feel sad that the WOE that I thought would solve my issues with weight and blood sugar control doesn't seem to quite do that.
And we move on. Stalled is stalled. We move on.

We are here for you!!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Domino
Stats: 258/198/140 5'7"
WOE: Low carb my way/Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 1, 2011
Aaaand...I'm right back up that lb and half I lost. WTH? I'm really getting sick of being stalled. I'm not sure what to do, or what I even *can* do. I know I need to start lifting weights, but...but...but... Honestly it's a combination of laziness and the fact that I have NO idea what to do, so I really would need a trainer and I can't afford that. Mostly laziness. Heck, at least I'm honest.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Cathy/Clackley,

I first heard that low carb induces insulin resistance from Chris Kresser. I wondered if he was just slaming the diet.

Peter at Hyperlipid has written about it.

Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance

I notice mine is higher if I have eaten more protein, even when I had not eaten carbs. Just a large low carb meal the night before will do it to me.

I have heard multiple times, since learning of this, to eat carbs for three days to return to "normal" so your doctor doesn't freak out if you take one of those glucose tolerance tests where you down the syrup drink and they draw your blood every hour.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #311
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Cathy/Clackley,

I first heard that low carb induces insulin resistance from Chris Kresser. I wondered if he was just slaming the diet.

Peter at Hyperlipid has written about it.

Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance

I notice mine is higher if I have eaten more protein, even when I had not eaten carbs. Just a large low carb meal the night before will do it to me.

I have heard multiple times, since learning of this, to eat carbs for three days to return to "normal" so your doctor doesn't freak out if you take one of those glucose tolerance tests where you down the syrup drink and they draw your blood every hour.
Hi Keytones!! Nice to see you posting.

Thank you for the link and yes I have read up on this phenomenon and as a result I have been reducing my protein with no positive changes so far.... what doesn't seem clear is whether this is something that is preventing weight loss and if it is something to be concerned about.

How are you doing? Are you back to weight loss mode?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cathy!

Thank you. Yes, I am feeling better. Graduation and Father's Day were so hard it felt like a setback, but I am doing OK now. I had a good time yesterday on the 4th.

I am in weight loss mode. I've simply had to cut out cheese, bacon, fatty meats, etc. I've heard a lot of people say this on the board, and it is ringing true for me. I do believe that I can go back to this someday. I still eat Kerrygold butter and eggs everyday. It is hard to find that balance of what to eat that holds hunger enough at bay so that the body can move the fat.

I have also read so many times that yogurt eaters lose more weight. I think it is true. I've been eating a lot of the fat free greek yogurt and it is working for me. I've been eating more carbs to fuel exercise - some endurance exercise. I do NOT believe it helps weight loss by burning calories because exericse just doesn't burn that much. At least, not for a working person like me. I believe the exercise makes hormones work better. Gary Taubes has said insulin is the fat storage hormone, and just about all of the rest of the other hormones help move fat out of the cells. I put this together with other things I've read about exercise and hormones, and I just plain believe that is all there is to it. I think weight loss is mostly hormonal. Also, exercise is known to help with insulin resistance. I have just given up the notion that I can get away with no exercise.

I am so close to cracking that 100 pound weight loss. I've been within a 20 pound range of it for so long (since end of 2010). No progress in 2011. I think this is the year.

How have you been doing, Cathy?

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-05-2012 at 07:55 AM..
Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #313
Chatty Cathy

Sounds like you are doing very well and I am so glad about that. I know you have had some pretty horrendous times in the past couple of yrs....

I am generally well but oh so very stuck with weight and have even managed to gain some (up as high as 9.5 lbs. from my stats 'low'). This may be in part due to the fact that I finally quite smoking in Feb.. It is my understanding that this may slow my metabolism even further but it had to be done.

I have tried everything that makes any sense to me and am currently upping my fats, making sure that protein is moderate and carbs low. Jimmy Moore has been doing a self experiment and getting some pretty great results - men!!

For me - I am getting the usual results which is to lose a couple and maintain and as soon as I vary, as I have over the weekend, I go right back up again. I am planning on giving it a couple of months but the increasing b.g. are a bit alarming and I have no idea what to do.... I suppose that I should get my A1C test done...

Sorry for the rant. Can you tell I am a little frustrated?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Sounds like you are doing very well and I am so glad about that. I know you have had some pretty horrendous times in the past couple of yrs....

I am generally well but oh so very stuck with weight and have even managed to gain some (up as high as 9.5 lbs. from my stats 'low'). This may be in part due to the fact that I finally quite smoking in Feb.. It is my understanding that this may slow my metabolism even further but it had to be done.

I have tried everything that makes any sense to me and am currently upping my fats, making sure that protein is moderate and carbs low. Jimmy Moore has been doing a self experiment and getting some pretty great results - men!!

For me - I am getting the usual results which is to lose a couple and maintain and as soon as I vary, as I have over the weekend, I go right back up again. I am planning on giving it a couple of months but the increasing b.g. are a bit alarming and I have no idea what to do.... I suppose that I should get my A1C test done...

Sorry for the rant. Can you tell I am a little frustrated?

Thank you, Cathy. I appreciate the hug.

I know it is incredibly hard to find the right formula. You have been through and are going through a lot. I am amazed with your persistence; most people give up. Hang in there! I really believe you are going to find the answers that will work for you if you keep looking.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #315
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
Aaaand...I'm right back up that lb and half I lost. WTH? I'm really getting sick of being stalled. I'm not sure what to do, or what I even *can* do. I know I need to start lifting weights, but...but...but... Honestly it's a combination of laziness and the fact that I have NO idea what to do, so I really would need a trainer and I can't afford that. Mostly laziness. Heck, at least I'm honest.
Start with lifting your own body weight. Check out the Primal Blueprint Fitness program. I haven't posted in a long time, but if you go to the thread I've got on it (see my signature) I lay out the program. Or you can go to MDA and get the ebook for free. I recommend it. My calves, thighs and butt are getting very toned from the squats and even my upper arms and neck are improved from the pushups. Now if I can get the planking incorporated, that would be better.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

I appreciate Key Tones posting the link to the hyperlipid blog...I read it awhile ago, but haven't thought about it when trying to figure out my sometimes erratic fbg. Maybe this is playing some part of why it is unexpectedly high even when I've kept control of the protein and carbs.

I'm going to restart tracking my food....something I just detest doing . I really think (after rereading Dr. B's latest edition) that I should probably be aiming for 50g of protein (50g/6=8.5oz of meat/fish/chick) so that I still have room for miscellaneous protein (pork rinds 14g = 7g protein) various veggies. I tried ****** and absolutely hated it so I'll be doing this with pen and paper.

Do you all consider the protein from veggies, etc. as part of your daily limit? I really want someone to say "no" , but I bet you all do count those protein grams along with "real" protein.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #317
Blabbermouth!!!

I count veggie carbs so I guess any veggie proteins count too. Sorry lol
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #318
Chatty Cathy

I track online and also find it tedious but less cumbersome as more typical foods and recipes are recorded. It tracks all forms of the micro nutrients and I too aim for 50g of protein. I have not been consistent so far - too early to decide if it is making a difference....
Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #319
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Cathy, I am planning on going VLC next week and to stay LC through fair week, then doing lower ptn and high fat the week after that. I am looking at WHAT adequate protein looks like. I have been eating mostly high protein/low carb/high fat for the main part of 1 year.
I have been thinking about your situation and help me please see if I am going off track here....

So here is my train of thought... I started low carb back the beginning of 2000 and lost 55 lbs. - got to goal within about a yr. and stayed there for about 1.5 yrs. Fell off and regained all and an additional 45. Came back and lost just like I did initially but stalled at the 55lb mark. So here is what I am thinking....

I think you, DrJ, have said that you have been off plan (just out of ketosis) since January - no? You have basically not regained anything more than the glycogen stores. I am wondering if being out of ketosis for a length of time (6 months) might reset your metabolism and allow for weight loss.

Why? Well I have read that ketosis is akin to 'starvation' or 'nutritional starvation' and the body reacts accordingly and blocks the fat tissue from continuing to be lost. It finds a way to become homeostatic again. I think the raised b.g. levels are an indication of this happening. And now at this point, any weight loss methods (managing macro nutrients and the like) are only temporary because of this defense to keep things the same. I think that fuel partitioning explains this somewhat.

For instance, you would think that the intense heat we have had over the past few wks. would provide an opportunity for some losses as we would be using more fuel to keep our internal temp static but this doesn't work that way.

Sooooo, you may now be in the perfect position to restart weight loss. I almost intentionally took myself out of ketosis at dinner last night by eating some sweet potatoes prepared for my company but decided I hadn't thought it through enough and would really appreciate some feed back from all of you who have been struggling to answer this.....

Just adding that I got to wondering if this does not have something to do with Jimmy Moore's recent successes. I think he had done a month of eating sweet potatoes just prior to lowering protein and upping fat.....???

Last edited by clackley; 07-07-2012 at 07:51 AM..
Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy I think you might be right about DrJ. She mentioned gaining back the weight from ketosis so going back to low carb with moderate protein might start her weight loss again.

Looking back over Jimmy's blog, I think he only did the sweet potato experiment for a week at the beginning of April. He did not gain any significant weight (only 2 or 3#) so IF he was in ketosis it doesn't seem he came out. After the sweet potato experiment he had a break of at least a couple of weeks before he started testing blood ketones. It would seem in between the 2 experiments he would have continued eating a carb level that he thought would keep him in ketosis.

Jenny mentions this on her site. If you search why weight loss stalls you will find some info. She does mention upping the carbs to take you just out of ketosis, accepting the inevitable 3 - 8 pound weight gain, and then watching calories, etc.

Several people have mentioned in the main lobby that fat converts to glucose...and I was not aware of this. Jenny mentions some experts think that up to 10% of dietary fat convert to glucose though Dr. Bernstein insists he has never seen that happen in his practice.

I guess for now I will continue with moderate protein (much harder than I ever dreamed), low carb, higher fat (about 70%).

I came fairly close to my goals yesterday, but that is only one day. My blood sugar (fasting) continues to jump up into the low 100s and then back to the 80s. I do believe that my body down regulates thyroid, etc. to prevent more weight loss so and that I am going to try and stay between 20 and 30g of carbs because of that.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #321
Chatty Cathy

Hi Maureen, and thank you for the info. Of course you are absolutely correct and it was just a week of Jimmy and the sweet potato experiment. Good to know because it does change my thinking a bit.

While I respect the fact that Jenny has a lot of information and is useful to many folks, I disagree with some her conclusions and stalled weight loss is one of those areas.

Yes, I agree that the mod. protein is more difficult that anticipated.

I am getting very weary of food .......
Old 07-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #322
Chatty Cathy

Adding to the above post - without naming the specific one, my food tracker has been quite useful.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

I do like Jenny's website, but realize no one is perfect! Over the years I have learned not to put people on pedestals - including Dr. B. I have serious concerns about his thinking on dietary fat not converting to glucose, for instance.

Personally I am quite afraid to up the carbs significantly, because I have no idea if I can lose the "ketosis" weight again. At this point I am not going to go over 30g total a day.

I may have to try the tracker you use, I remember the name of it I am also weary - is it to much or not enough: carbs, protein, fat, sleep, cortisol, insulin, which kind of insulin. I've been using Larry's fridge fudge to up the fat and am now thinking that may have to go. I am waking up with higher fbg than I should have. I really wonder if it is because of the added dietary fat...The hyperlipid website says it did not affect the A1c number, but I have to say if my doctor sees a fbg of 120 he is not going to be happy.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
My I join you? I don't know that my weight is stalled, because I don't use a scale, but I've seen no change in my measurements or how clothes fit for 3 weeks.

I just entered my day's food consumption into an online tracker and came up with 1019 calories, 74 grams of fat, 62 grams of protein, and 44 grams of carbs (the latter mostly from berries and balsamic vinegar, which I may have to give up). I also come up with 1783 calories burned from 80 minutes on an elliptical trainer and two hours of walking. I've just started confining my eating to an 8-hour window (10 am to 6 pm) and added in the elliptical machine exercise to see if that helps me start losing again. I plan to try this for a month and see if it makes any difference; if not, I'll try a different approach. I'm willing to do more calories than I posted today, but I find that I'm not very hungry if I eat much fat, and exercise doesn't increase my appetite when I eat low carb.

Comments and suggestions are very welcome, though I think I'd prefer not to change things too much until I see how the intermittent fasting and additional exercise helps (if at all).
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Can I join too? I'm working on breaking a 9 year stall. I've been hovering between 165 & 175 for that long. 175 is the number that I constantly revert back to. Over the past few months things have finally started moving in the right direction. I was diagnosed hypothyroid about a year ago and have been to 4! doctors trying to get my hormones worked out. I think they're finally pretty good--I see the doctor at the end of the month for more testing. I also started lowering my protein, lowering carbs, raising fat, and trying to keep calories between 1200 & 1500. I was able to start exercising again about a month ago. I had surgery on my lumbar spine in January and between the incredible pain I was in from the cyst in my spine and the fatigue from the undertreated thyroid I wasn't able to do any exercise other than walking for the past year. As of 2 weeks ago the scale hit 162 but hasn't budged since. I feel like I'm on the right track but I've been here before but never made it into the 150's.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #326
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome svenskamae and mom2zeke (9 year stall! )
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #327
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Welcome svenskamae and mom2zeke (9 year stall! )
Ditto - particularly the 9 yrs. stall!!

Well, I have decided that this week I am going to severely reduce everything. Well carbs are already very low so the other macros are getting chopped. I have tried this before and have a hard time because it brings out the binge monster so it may take some time to get it right......
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I have been thinking about your situation and help me please see if I am going off track here....

So here is my train of thought... I started low carb back the beginning of 2000 and lost 55 lbs. - got to goal within about a yr. and stayed there for about 1.5 yrs. Fell off and regained all and an additional 45. Came back and lost just like I did initially but stalled at the 55lb mark. So here is what I am thinking....

I think you, DrJ, have said that you have been off plan (just out of ketosis) since January - no? You have basically not regained anything more than the glycogen stores. I am wondering if being out of ketosis for a length of time (6 months) might reset your metabolism and allow for weight loss.

Why? Well I have read that ketosis is akin to 'starvation' or 'nutritional starvation' and the body reacts accordingly and blocks the fat tissue from continuing to be lost. It finds a way to become homeostatic again. I think the raised b.g. levels are an indication of this happening. And now at this point, any weight loss methods (managing macro nutrients and the like) are only temporary because of this defense to keep things the same. I think that fuel partitioning explains this somewhat.

For instance, you would think that the intense heat we have had over the past few wks. would provide an opportunity for some losses as we would be using more fuel to keep our internal temp static but this doesn't work that way.

Sooooo, you may now be in the perfect position to restart weight loss. I almost intentionally took myself out of ketosis at dinner last night by eating some sweet potatoes prepared for my company but decided I hadn't thought it through enough and would really appreciate some feed back from all of you who have been struggling to answer this.....
I had a long response for you about this and lost it!!!
I have to leave now and won't be home most nights this week until midnight.

I am hoping the same thing since I have maintained on high carb for 6 months. OK, most would not think 70 is high carb, but when you have been 10-15 carbs for 2 years, 70 IS high carb.

Welcome newbie stallers!

9 years??? Have you been strict LC the entire time?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Good luck, Cathy! I really admire your persistence, and I hope this works to get the scale moving down.

If you feel the binge monster calling, try to eat something low carb/high fat rather than high carb. Let us know how things are working for you.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome to our new friends.....9 years . Well I started using an online tracker today. I ate out at lunch and have the nutrition from the restaurant website, but I'm not sure how to subtract the carbs from my online tracker so guess I will just do it on paper.

Its close to bedtime here (DH schedule gets me up at 3:00 a.m. and I go to bed at 8:00 p.m.). It seems my calories are ok but I'm way over on protein at 82g and under on fat at 58g. I may have to consider 1T of HWC in some soda or decaf to try and bring the fat grams up.

Cathy please be careful .

I follow Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution author) and he thinks balsamic vinegar should be off limits because of the carbs....so you may have to give that up. Trial and error is our strong point in this thread!!