Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Tony, I am in on the 10 pound challenge from May 1st to June 30th. I do have that 5 day trip to Missouri May 10th but I need to be on my best behavior there as they all need to start eating better. Two months to lose 10 pounds used to be doable for me years ago. We shall see.

My sister and I talk about how much Mom would have loved us all working so hard on the house. She says "I feel like we are fixing it up for her, like she is going to come home and see how fresh it looks" I am not sure she would be happy that we took the wallpaper down in the livingroom though. lol

I am doing ok. Have some sad moments like when I paid some of Mom's bills that are still coming in yesterday and put her address label on the envelopes. There will be times like that I know.

Oh Tony, I would have had to have the innards of the lobster roll! Did you all wade in the nice "warm" ocean water in Maine?

Artemis, how are you doing? Have been thinking about you alot. Hope all is well with you!

FF, glad you didn't pour rubbing alchohol in your eyes. lol Did you have all the wind yesterday we were having in NH? Enjoy your weekend!

Marilee, have you heard from Vicki this week? Miss hearing from her. How is your weekend going so far?

Beth, no fair popping in just to say hi. We want to hear from you alot!

Still eating pot roast, a big salad, hard boiled egg, some bbq pork rinds. Going to try to finish the linen pants today and maybe start on a jacket to match.

Have a wonderful Saturday all!

Last edited by Abigale; 04-28-2012 at 03:03 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #242
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeth View Post
Hi!! I want to be like Gibby and start fresh!!

My name is kbeth and I was part of the original cast of the Blitzers. Like you, tony, I am 20lbs. up from this time last year. I just went off the deep end! I was a baking maniac. It was soo much fun...but here I am, weighing *almost* what I weighed when I checked into the hospital to have my son 6 years ago. Stiff joints, bloated face and wearing the same sweatpants every day because I refuse to invest $$ in clothes this size.
Geez, I can relate, except I wish my wt gain was only 20 lbs. Mine is 55 lbs
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
abi, the fact that you will have those sad moments when you remember your mom in a certain way, is a tribute to her...after 5 1/2 years, i still have those moments regarding my mom, and sometimes when i feel that pain, it feels like proof she was here...

btw, if i send you a bolt of white cotton and a spool of black thread, will you make me some underwear that reads "this butt manufactured by hersheys?"...LOL!

happy you are in for the challenge...before you totally commit, i've given it some more thought...i think it should be a team challenge for those who opt in...we all win or we all lose...that will put a little pressure on us to pull our weight...so, if we get 5 folks in, we have to lose a total of 50 lbs to win the challenge...therefore if i only lose 7, the other four folks would have to lose their 10, plus my 3 lbs. for us to hit goal...participants would post their net loss on a weekly basis (on a day of their choosing)...

official starting weigh-in would be next tuesday, may 1st and final weigh-in would be july 1st...if we win, we all get a prize which i will reveal at a later date...who's crazy enough to try this?...

artemis, where the heck are you?...we love ya kid and want to know you are okay...okay?...

no eats yet today, but going to the fisher cats game today and it's all-you-can-eat hot dogs and burgers...gonna be a few empty buns in the trash!...

see y'all later!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

vicki, sorry we were posting at the same time...20 and 55 are just numbers - you were lighter than some of us, so you could gain more...don't sweat the past - choose your future, girl!...

i think you are ready to head back down the losing path with us...why don't you take some trash bags and go through your house and empty it of everything you don't want to eat...tell dh he needs to help you by eating any junk he craves outside the house...nothing gets in!...then go to the market and indulge yourself by buying every whole, healthy food choice you might want to eat - keep it LC but include some healthy fruit for when you crave something sweet - nothing wrong with a couple of apple slices...no processed junk, no sugar, etc, but plenty of meat, chicken, fish, veggies etc...

YOU CAN DO THIS!...don't think of it as a huge task, just take it one meal at a time...but from what i have learned about myself, i think you need to purge the house...

we're here if you need us :-)
Old 04-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
I'm in!! What a great idea, Tony!
Vicki...well, I've gained 20 in the last year, but I've gained back a total of 35 in the last 2 1/2 years. My profile pic was from 3 Summers ago when I was sooo close to goal. I had to let go of the disappointment in myself of letting all that hard work go down the drain. It's hard to know I've got to lose all of that weight over again, plus a few extra. It is what it is. Maybe we can make it more enjoyable...fun even!...by doing it all together!

I'm going to go back and read some of your old posts today and catch up with the gang. Awesome to see you all again. Thank you for the warm welcome!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
I'm here guys. Just going through a bit of a rough patch. Tony, that is a good idea about the contest. I'll give it a go with y'all.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

great advice, kbeth!...this is gonna be fun!...let's think we are gonna lose this weight not for the second time or third time but FOR THE LAST TIME!!!

artemis, let us know if we can help!...hope you are having a better day today...

okay, so far i think we have abi, kbeth, artemis and me for the 10lb. challenge!...we still have a few days to add more hearty souls :-)

b: 1 hb egg white
l: 2 small burger patties and 1 hot dog with mustard and onion and NO BUNS
d: will be pork chops on the grill with unsweetened apple sauce and cinnamon and roasted veggies
Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #248
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i hate to be a party pooper...but i am not doing anything special

just to win a competition. Every time I put myself on the line, not only did I not lose, but I gained it all back, and paid out in cash. I am very happy doing what i am doing. I just baked 4 chicken breasts. I also just consumed the two smallest of them. The other 2 are larger than the chickens whence they originated. These are the spices I use: minced garlic, black pepper(celery seed-on 1 side only. a little goes a long way), poultry seasoning, Mrs Dash, and paprika for color. I put alum foil on top, and put it in the top oven for an hour and a few minutes at 350. Then I take the foil off, up the temp to 475 for about 1/2 to get more brown and get a nice crispy skin. Then, O Mamma Mia!!! For bkfst (about high noon today)i had a western omelet, and double the bacon, and a buttered Karbkruncher bagel,TOASTED, upon which i put some of the omelet and bacon. I have been sipping one large black coffee all day long. If I get hungry before curfew, i still have 1 large chinese rib order.I will have to make that decision no later than 8:15pm. I will soon put a dry rub on my shell steak for tomorrow evening. With the steak, I will saute some celery, mushrooms, an 1 plum tomato, with a little onion. Needless to say, no bagel tomorrow. How did the ball game go, Tony? I mean all those bunless burgers and franks? I am thinking of finding a butcher shop, and having him grind burgers from chuck or flat steak for extra flavor. I will probably wind up with a better quality of pink slime too!!! Next Sat is the last Metopera broadcast of the season. I must confess, I will be happy to free up another weekend day, until next December. FF
Old 04-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

the game was fun, ff...went with my oldest son this time as my youngest boy had a lot of homework and thought he should stay home and do it - i'm proud of him for making that choice...had two burgers and one hot dog - it was all-you-can-eat free food so everything was down-sized, so it was niot as much food as it sounds like :-)

the thick pork chops on the grill were DIVINE!...had one spoonful of unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon and that was yummy too...

you're not a party-pooper, ff - you know what works for you and gotta stick to that...i need to spice things up once in a while and that's why i am trying this 10-lb. challenge - i think it will help me to set a specific goal over this next two-month period...i don't like participating in contests where there are winners and losers, which is why i am setting this up as a team challenge...the prize may be musical and i think it will be fun for those of us who do decide to do it...you can cheer us on! :-)

i'm gonna take a nap now as i've been up since 3 (???????)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Hey FF, you could be a stealth partner in this challenge. Tell yourself that you are not in it and keep doing what you are doing. At the end of June if you have lost weight we get to put in our pool? Just a thought. We came across Mom and Dad's old meat grinder while cleaning cabinets. Boy, that brings back alot of child hood memories. I was thinking of trying to grind my own hamburger occasionally and also throwing in some good tasting steak with it.

Tony, I think doing the challenge all together will make it more fun and maybe will get me to try harder for the team! You are right about the occasional feeling of sadness and loss with your Mother proves she was with you. I still feel that way about my Dad who passed away in 95. It is a tribute to them. On the sewing project, all I can do is say ha, ha, ha.

Artemis, I am glad you are back and sorry about the rough patch. Are you still doing the detox?

Beth, I think it will be fun to do Tony's challenge. So glad you are back with us!

Vicki, like Tony said, this will be the last time we are going to gain back that same weight. Wishing us all luck with this.

Wish Jenny would check back in and join us too! Jenny?

Britt and Marilee, is the weather still bearable in Phoenix?

I am going to keep a little notebook with my daily weight, what I am eating, how many calories and carbs. Really make myself accountable!

Have a terrific Sunday Blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 04-29-2012 at 03:27 AM..
Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

okay, so i guess i am NOT getting any new, homemade underwear...lol...i bet i am the only person in america who will utter that sentence today...
Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #252
Blabbermouth!!!

Maybe we should change the name of this thread to THE LAST TIME or Once and For ALL.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #253

weekend curfews are tougher than Mon-Thurs....

which are tough enough. However, I DID IT!!! I hope the more I do it, the less difficult it becomes. I have never been on it long enough for it to become an engrained (excuse the expression)ritual. I am off to meet a friend for coffee. What WAS a 45 minute walk, will take me at least twice as long. I will have to walk along Ocean Pkwy-it has benches. But no bus or taxi. A former WW leader used to say "move a muscle, burn a calorie" When I get back, it will be time to saute the steak. For breakfast, I had 2 thin slices of muenster cheese, and the 3rd of the 4 chicken breasts. No bagel today!!! Talk to everyone this afternoon or evening. FF
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, hope you had a nice walk and a pleasant visit with your friend...

just met with a tree guy, as i am thinking of having some trees removed from my yard...i live in the woods and hate taking trees down, but they have created so much shade that most of my lawn has turned to moss...maybe i should leave it that way as it is easier to mow! :-)

vicki, i think this is gonna be YOUR year :-)
Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #255

it was a nice walk. i am STILL exhausted.

It did not take twice as long, but about 1.5 times as long. That was 4 hours ago, ands I still feel I am burning calories. I did not get around to dry rubbing the steak until just before the walk, so the steak will wait till tomorrow after work. I will save the 4th chicken chest for lunch for tomorrow. I am enjoying a House Special soup with a large order of ribs. I will save the 2nd order (if necessary-it usually is)for the last hour before curfew. When I AM ready to up my carbs a few grams, Shoperite has unsweetened applesauce-a T or 2 would be ideal with pork chops. As I am rejoining WW the last Thurs of June, I will have my end of June weigh-in figures for y'all. My last weigh-in was 4/14/12 when I was 337, down 3 lbs from 340. I will stay at VLC (10 gr or less...sometimes 15 gr or less if unavoidable). I am hoping that as the walking becomes more often & more intense to make a real dent. The only thing that will ruin it are my own un-natural inclinations-food behavior wise. WE shall see. FF
Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i made a prime rib roast on the grill tonight and it was DELICIOUS!...

ff, happy you had a good walk...hmmm, i've never waited when i dry rub - i thought you only had to do that when i was marinating meat in a liquid...does it get better as the dry rub sits on the meat?...curious minds want to know :-)

ff, i'm gonna pretend you are in the challenge starting at 337 :-)

go to the doc on tiuesday morning - not looking forward to it AT ALL...
Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

FF, you didn't mention any problem with your feet after your long walk to meet your coffee date. Did they hold up ok? I like that move a muscle burn a calorie. I have been moving alot of muscles in April but I also have been eating too much.

Tony, sunshine is good. I vote for the trees to come down. We have alot of trees behind the house and a nice border on both sides giving some privacy from neighbors. I . Hey, are we going to have to report our starting weight on this challenge or just let you know every Tues. what if any we have lost for the week?

I heard it might get into the 70's for Wed.? It is 30 degrees right now at 5am. Will be working in my parka this morning at the house. brrrr

Have a great Monday all!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Here is an interesting read I came across yesterday

PUFAs and Fructose: OBESITY: My Unexpected Final Conclusion On The Cause And Cure

quotes by Sam Peden

YOU DO NOT BURN FAT FROM EATING FOOD. YOU ONLY BURN FAT BETWEEN MEALS.

It doesn’t matter what kind of a diet you follow; low-carb, low-fat, raw vegan, low-calorie, etc. Food (carbohydrates OR proteins) make your insulin levels rise. You will not burn fat until your insulin levels drop low enough to allow it. The longer you wait to eat while your insulin levels are low, the more fat you will burn.

LET YOUR APPETITE DETERMINE YOUR CALORIC INTAKE. LET YOUR DESIRE TO LOSE WEIGHT DETERMINE YOUR TIME BETWEEN MEALS
Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #259

this time around...i shall not abuse my feet.

every spring i get so gung ho, then i am merciless on my feet. it is quite all right to sit down and give my feet a breather. I shall not make that mistake again!!! Again, the entire winter behavioral cycle has become so ritualized. Once I get home, I never go out again. I must break it. Tonight, when I get home, I plan to drop my bag, and get about 30 minutes of walking done. I will take a walkman to make it go a littlle smoother. Of course, if it looks like rain, all bets are off. I did a little tweaking last night before 9 pm. I ate the last chicken breast instead of the 2nd order of ribs. I ate it cold too. It was delicious. My total net carbs yesterday was 5. I forgot to take a carb cruncher bagel to work. "ALL ALONE AM I" Tonight I am doing some sauted veggies with the steak. I think a dry rub needs at least 24 hours for red meat. But I am by no means an authority on the subject. I do know that is gonna be one great steak!!! FF
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i did not know that about the dry-rub...i have always put mine on just before grilling - learn something new every day!...good strategy on the walking but not overdoing it!...

abi, i think we should leave the reporting method to each individual - if someone is more comfortable simply reporting their losses/gains each week and keeping a running tally, that is fine...i will post my weight along with my huge losses :-)

this weather is so beautiful - my yard looks so lush and green and i just wanna stay outside...may put in some hammock-time this week!...thanks for the link - some interesting points i had not heard before...

gonna try to keep it very light today in anticipation of my doc visit tomorrow:
b: an egg white
l: salad
d: salad
and lots of water...

let's all have a great day!

Last edited by tony8; 04-30-2012 at 05:43 AM..
Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Took it easy this weekend. I worked out on Saturday (zumba) but didn't work out yesterday. I have been off the detox for about a week now. I haven't weighed since then so I don't know if I've gained/lost but I will weigh in tomorrow for the challenge. I guess if I have lost anything, it won't count toward the challenge right I haven't felt like eating, but making myself...mostly eggs with coconut oil, salads, and soups.

Tony, good luck on the Dr.'s appt. I am actually looking forward to my visit with the specialist this summer. I am staying really troubled about it these days.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
FF...I am having to adopt the "less is more" philosophy with my feet as well. I really think that's how I got so off course to begin with. I overdid it about 14 months ago (just walking, but alot and everyday for a couple of weeks) thinking I was doing a good thing, exercising so much. My feet revolted and I could hardly walk for a few months. It frustrated me so much, I said 'to hell with it." and started baking instead. So yes, it's good to know your limits...be gentle with yourself.

Doing very well here. Proud of myself for weaning off of the bite here, bite there of junk. I've lost 5 lbs. in the last few weeks, so I know my body is ready and willing to let go of some of this bloat.

Have a great day, y'all!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #263

good for u kbeth. we learn from each other.

the trip from my office to the cafeteria and back is not so easy these days. i feel like it was a workout. that was the main reason i got away from my work station. i might do my walking at SHOPRITE. If i do 22 aisles twice, that should suffice. Besides, i can fortify myself with a cup of dunkin coffee first. Yeah, that's the ticket!!! I got one cup container of chicken salad, one of tuna, and one of egg salad (better mayo to egg ratio now). I will try to leave some for tomorrow's Karbkruncher bagel du jour. You would think that after consuming 4 chicken breasts this weekend, I would leave the chicken salad go for tomorrow. No, i ate that first. I am giving it time to see if I still need some tuna and/or egg salad. FF
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #264

update.

I ate the egg salad. I left the tuna for tomorrow. FF
Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hey all! I really need to read all of your posts - I did see the one about the challenge and - WTH - I'm in!!!!!

The roof is finally done!!! They came and put the seal on Saturday morning so all I need now is the final inspection from the Supervisor and it's over. I told him I want pictures so I can see my nice, new, expensive roof. Tony, they were so clean and tidy, you wouldn't know they were there.

This morning the dry waller came and did a fantastic job of repair and retexturing of the ceiling in the den. The painter comes on Saturday morning and this ordeal is over. So - so far this year I have had to handle:

Car-wire shorting out and blowing out starter
Computer-total break down
Washing machine broke
Roof
Ceiling
and now....this morning I was vacuuming and I smelt hot rubber - so I need to take the vac in for repairs.

I sure hope that is all.

Well, I better get back to work. I got in late because of the drywall repair. I'll get caught up and respond more later.

Love you guys!!!!

Marilee
Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #266
Blabbermouth!!!

I am in: May 1 to July 1??
Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey marilee, that burned rubber smell could just be your belt...if you have a screwdriver, you may be able to fix it yourself just by opening up the head and making sure it is seated properly...if you need a new one, they are easy to replace...i'm happy your house is almost finished! :-) btw, great to have you joining us in the 10-lb. challenge!

kbeth, thanks for sharing that cautionary tale about your feet...that has happened to me too, but now i know my limits and try to stay within them!...congrats on the 5 lb. loss...that is awesome!...you'll have a new body after the challenge!

artemis, you sound better and i'm happy...i'm also happy when you take it a bit easier...are you still looking for a car?...you never told us what kind you were considering...

actually, i am looking for an older car that i can leave in nashville - maybe a jeep cherokee kind of vehicle...i plan to rent an apt. and leave the car so i don't feel so transient when i am there...i will be in town next week...

ff, good for you for leaving the tuna...all these little things add up, bro...

vicki!!!...so excited you're gonna join the challenge!...

i had salad for lunch and baked chicken for din din...it's only 6:30, but i'm hoping not to eat any more before curfew...

where's jenny?...and britt?...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #268

wow, gibby, u have your hands full.

i am sure i will hear sighs of relief when it is all over. i will never have my own house, unless i win a large lotto prize. Then, if there is any work to be done, I will have someone else do it, and I shall sit back and listen to Wagner with a lawyer, in the event he or she does it all wrong. Well, it is the prerogative of a Troll to change his mind. I walked the 22 aisles at SHOPRITE this evening. i am absolutely shaggers. Someone was selling hot dogs on the wayto the parking lot , so i bought 2. I will wait as long as I can, ditch the buns, toast a Karbkruncher bagel instead and enjoy. It will be the first time in decades that I am limiting myself to only 2 dogs. I always had at least 4. I am counting on the fiber in the bagel to cut down on the appetite. Although I am back on Metformin, it did not keep its promise the last time, to cut down on hunger. So when I had no more refills, I did not ask the DR for more. However, if it will help regulate my blood sugar...well. alrightee then. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. Perhaps I might be persuaded to walk the stairs in my building after work. That is a big IF. I hate stair climbing, but exercise IS good for minimizing diabetes. oh, btw, in the event that the dogs are not enough, i still have the chinese ribs. FF
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #269
Blabbermouth!!!

It was just about 4 years ago that I got on the low carb wagon. I remember because it is when a boyfriend left me. We had attended a wedding in which coozies were given out and I still use it (the date is written on it). So, it only makes sense to jump back on that wagon since school is winding down this week. I am officially done on Thursday, but, since son is still in school, I will continue to work for about 2-3 wks.

We decided to take the house off the market because we don't want a higher house payment. The payment I have now is very good and we have upcoming expenses such a my sons wedding in Florida next year, future grandchildren etc. Maybe that will help one level of stress. We are then looking in to doing a basement remodel instead.
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
10-28 203.2 down 3.2 lbs Total - 57.2 lbs
Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #270

greetings Vicky....my curiosity has overwhelmed me....

what are coozies? (is there a cure for it? lol). I surprise myself. Just before curfew, i had 2 thin slices of muenster cheese to accompany my evening vitamins and pharmaceuticals. That and the 2 franks are the least amount of food I have had in the post work period of the day that I can remember going back decades. FF
Closed Thread