Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #841
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
kbeth, thanks so much for the words of wisdom: food is fuel and food is medicine!...so simple and so true, yet so hard to live by at times...i don't understand it either...

i am hoping i can hold onto this long enough to really achieve better health, and that i will have learned enough by then to maintain it!...although i am in a very positive place re: surgery, i can't tell you how much it scares me - i am fighting that fear now...when i was a kid, i watched a lot of doctor shows - half the dramas on tv seemed to be medical shows, and i'm not sure if it was an episode i saw or what, but i always thought i would die in surgery under anaesthesia - that i wouldn't wake up...

i guess i am feeling now that if i don't do everything i can to give myself the best chance, that it will be a self-fulfilling prophesy and almost tantamount to suicide...i have five kids watching me, and i have to find the strength to set a good example here as they may face similar things in their lives and benefit from a good model...i know i am thinking of how brave my mom (all 4ft, 11-inches of her!) was when she went through much more difficult things than i am facing now, and that is helping me immensely!...thanks mom! :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 06-27-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #842
Major LCF Poster!

i just noticed something...we will end this blitx with 200-300 more posts than the last blitx, and there is no doubt in my mind that the more we post, the better we do...
Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #843
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Wow, Tony, so insightful. I agree, I am in this for a state of health. Unfortunately, what i put in my mouth can have an affect on my state of mind. I don't think any of us regulars is so in to the # of grams, calories, etc. one ingests. Which I think is good. I think we all are on a path of good, wholesome, natural food disregarding the # of carbs per se. If it is healthy carbs like beans or corn, then we don't get too stressed eating that.

I had brunch today for my DH, DS#1, and future DIL this morning. I tweaked a recipe, of course LOL. DH and I walked for an hour this morning and once again, I feel like I can walk easier. Still on plan too which is amazing. And, you know, you guys stuck with my while I was in the gutter. Thanks to Tony and you guys being cheer leaders.

I posted a few days ago that tomorrow was going to be a pizza night. Well, that was postponed to Monday noon. Whew, gives me a few more days of on plan eating. I am going to take the advice of someone, not sure if it was on this thread or another, but putting the topping of two pieces on to one isn't as damaging as eating two crusts.

We are in for a horrendous heat wave. Temps into the upper 90's and heat indices of 105 or so. The windows were closed and AC is on. FF it is coming your way, look out.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #844
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
that is most logical, Tony.

even at my worst, just staying in the loop practically guarantees that i will not stray too far off the mark. After all, it is more than 3 months since my last wardrobe malfunction. I just got my new shoes(psst, they are really black sneakers. don't tell anybody. they are not really within the parameters of acceptable footwear at work) tweaked by the podiatrist. I would like to give some walking a try this weekend. It does not have to be a lot, just to get back in the groove. I remember that 4 hour walk i did last summer. Yes, i overdid it, BUT I was ABLE to do it. Not now. FF
Old 06-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #845
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
I'm astounded an how we all seem to be in the same frame of mind.

I was noticing earlier today how much more upbeat I've been - happier, sunnier (I'm whistling!), etc. since I started Atkins Induction. Bad carbs really affect my moods and sense of well-being.

So, Vicki, I concur! "Unfortunately, what i put in my mouth can have an affect on my state of mind."
Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #846
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
vicki and Gibby...ABSOLUTELY amazing how much more stable I am emotionally when I am not eating sugar and flour. After a binge of cookies and chips and you-name-it...watch out! Here comes "Sybil"!!! lol.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #847
Major LCF Poster!

kbeth, you know how sometimes people say things that strike a chord in you?...well, you did today with the food is fuel and food is medicine - i was thinking about that all day and it is reinforcing the way i've been looking at food since last friday...THANK YOU!

i mean, it is so obvious that frankenfoods are not nourishing us like whole foods do, and they are certainly not gonna heal us - rather, they lead to disease...i've never been a smoker but i think it is unconscionable, how tobacco companies get folks hooked on nicotine - well food companies do the same thing to us with processed foods filled with sugar, salt, chemicals, artificial flavorings, etc...

they taste good and are addictive in a very real sense...when we get away from them long enough, it only makes sense that we start to feel better - like our true selves - and our bodies do heal and get healthier...food is fuel and food is medicine!...that's how i am looking at it!

ff, start slow and build up to more walking - don't want you hurting your feet again... :-)

vicki, we love ya and you stand by us when we are in the gutter too, so you've earned any support you get here - believe me! :-)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #848
Blabbermouth!!!

Carbs are good going down the mouth but what comes out the mouth isn't so good. I don't mean vomit either LOL. I can say the cruelest things to myself and others.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #849
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Beth, you are so insightful. I really think you made a good point that the stress I have been under the last few months may be raising my cortesol levels and keeping me from losing. I'm afraid I would have a hard time trying to relax right now even though I know that is very good advice. It is so engrained in me to work at a job because I have had to for so many years. I think I have mentioned that when we lived on the gulf I worked 2 jobs and for a period of time I worked at 3 jobs. We won't starve to death if I don't find something permanent pretty quick but my inner stress tells me to not waist time trying to find something. I am my own worst enemy. lol But I am going to try to consiously try to relax the best I can. Today I am helping my younger sister clean a house in Keene. She does this every 6 weeks. It is near the Dartmouth Medical Center and the new residents stay in it. So that will be some extra money and it will be fun. I love being around my little sister.

Real hot weather on its way unfortunately. The last few days have felt like fall. So lovely.

Everyone's posts yesterday were so upbeat and inspiring. Tony, you were very brave to tell us of your fear of the anesthesia for your surgery. I know when I speak my fears out loud it helps to difuse them. Hope this will do that for you too.

I ate tuna salad, egg salad, lots of water and some diet cranberry juice yesterday.

Have a great Thursday Blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 06-28-2012 at 02:09 AM..
Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #850

a pity we are not on my home world.

30 days in my family's labor camp, and we would all be fit and trim. Perhaps we could persuade the Russians to re-open the Gulag. Well, today will be hot and dry. Tomorrow begins DEATH VALLEY DAYS for the foreseeable future, which is too long. I forgot I had an easy chair(how easy can it be for the chair if i am sitting in it?) in the AC room. If i cannot get the rollaway bed today, i can use that. I am off tomorrow, and will be spending my afternoon at B&N. I will be making the pilgrimage to 5 Guys Burgers, however that WILL be the ONLY meal of the day. They are better than Wendy's TRIPLE BACONATOR WITH CHEESE. However, i will eat it there, and try walking it off. FF
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #851
Major LCF Poster!

ff, the problem with five guys for me are the french fries - both regular and cajun - i can't resist them and they give you SO many!...limiting my intake to a few hasn't really worked all that well either, so i try to avoid the place...good luck!...hoping you stay cool this weekend...

abi, you are right about voicing my fear - it does help me and i appreciate having a captive audience here to listen to me :-) i hope you can relax - once you are back to the grind, you are gonna think back to this beautiful time off and kick yourself for not relaxing and enjoying it more - i know, i've done it!...you will work again - trust me - and you will wish you were back to where you are now...

today is exercise day, so i gotta do that and then breakfast...was supposed to be in RI today on a consulting gig, but that got put off, so i have a free day - i will let you know how i spend it...lol...

Last edited by tony8; 06-28-2012 at 07:41 AM..
Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #852
Blabbermouth!!!

ff, just curious, do you ever prepare meals at home?

Abi, I am in the mood for tuna salad too. I will probably whip some up later today.

Still on track. Too hot to cook tonight, even grilling. Thankfully I had roasted two whole chickens earlier in the week and have that left over. Sounds like chicken salad tonight.

After receiving the estimate for remodeling we decided to put the house back on the market. We had the house on the market for a few months, from Feb. to May but took it off to try the remodeling route. Now we will have to keep it clean again, ARGH.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #853
Major LCF Poster!

FF...Seee??? We're on the same wavelength! I was mentioning a few weeks ago my daydream of us all heading to a fat camp for a month. Altho my fantasy included gourmet LC meals, sunset hikes and meditation (not to mention arts and crafts hour)...30 days in a labor camp would likely have the same results!!
And an afternoon spent in a cool B&N is pretty much my idea of a perfect day, btw.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #854

yes i do cook... but not in a hot house.

i saute/pan fry mostly. sometimes i will use my oven for a meatloaf,& oven fried critters, and my RONCO for the BIG BOYS, like turkeys, and roasts. It is too hot to use anything more than the micro-wave to heat things up that would kill me(literally) if i tried to eat them cold or room temp. FF
Old 06-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #855

on the subject of 5 Guys Fries, Tony

i enjoy the aroma, but i compensate by buying more burgers instead. Tonight I am getting a large order of shrimp and broccoli (ATKINS-ized)as part of my new program of more veggie/salad and less protein, & 1 SMALL order of ribs w/o bbq sauce; as opposed to 2 large orders of ribs and 1 small order of shrimp and broccoli. As Capt. Kirk told Lt. Saavek in the turbolift: "we learn by doing". Oh, btw where 5 Guys or Wendy's is concerned(or when consuming a porterhouse regrettably on very rare occasions these days), they are an exception to the rule. FF
Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #856
Major LCF Poster!

ff, whatever you do, DO NOT TRY THE FRIES! :-)

kbeth, count me in on fat camp - i'll bring my guitar and we can sing thin songs around the fire at night :-)

vicki, hopefully, you won't have to pay someone else for the remodeling they did on their house!...lol...good luck selling yours - once you have the cash, you might be reluctant to spend it... :-)

i had a great day today - still firmly entrenched in my new mindset:
b: small qty of fruit salad
l: small bowl of turkey chili
d: baked in evoo: leftover, sliced, grilled chicken, with veggies covered in melted pepper jack cheese

got my exercise in and spent some time in the pool - maybe an hour...will have to shop for dinner tomorrow as i'm outta reserves...and then we will be gone on saturday for our friend's 50th b-day party and barbecue...we will be staying at a bed and breakfast about 1 1/2 hours north of where we live on saturday night, so you guys will get a break from me for a day or so...

hope everyone is having a great night!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #857
Major LCF Poster!

FF, is your easy chair a recliner? That would certainly work in a pinch to camp out by the ac for the next few nights. I know you will stay hydrated.

Tony, have fun at the birthday party/bbq and staying at a b&b. We will miss you but will hold down the fort while you are away.

My sister and I cranked out that house cleaning job in less than two hours. I was amazed that my older sister and her boss had furnished the house by themselves. They went to Ikea in Massachusetts afew years ago and bought 5 beds, end tables, two chairs etc. Hauled them in the back of my sisters car ( they must have made several trips) and then proceeded to put the beds together. They were twin platform beds all wood with 3 drawers underneath. I was very impressed which I will tell her on the 14th at family gathering at the lake.

Had bratwurst and egg salad yesterday. Going over to the house to see if lawn needs mowing today and pick up the keurig coffee pot to bring to my brother's camp.

Have a terrific Friday all!

Last edited by Abigale; 06-29-2012 at 03:14 AM..
Old 06-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #858
Blabbermouth!!!

Thought I would jump on the scale for kicks and giggles since I have been on plan for over a week now. No reward, WTH? 226
Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #859
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! I was not feeling well yesterday and spent most of it sleeping. Good news on the scale - I only need to lose 8 ounces to make the challenge.

I'll check back in later - I'm at home getting ready for work. TTYL
Old 06-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #860
Major LCF Poster!

vicki...oh no! That is so frustrating. Try your best not to let it send you on a binge....surely staying on-plan for a few more days will give you a woosh.
Have you had alot of salt? Maybe drinking lemon water today will help you drop some water weight??

Gibby...hope you feel better!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #861
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Me again...ok, so a holiday is coming up and for once I don't want to sabotage myself.

Has anyone made potato salad using chopped cauliflower instead? I'm thinking about trying that - cauliflower, mayo, onions, bacon, celery, a smidgeon of mustard and dill pickle juice. How does that sound?

I figured that with a juicy rib-eye steak fried crusty on the outside, rare on the inside and strawberries in HWC for desert.

Yum!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #862
Major LCF Poster!

oh marilee, hope you are feeling better today and congrats on the loss...only 4 more days to go!...i've never had cauliflower potato salad but it sounds good to me, as does the steak!!!

vicki, it can all be a timing thing on the scale...drink a lot of water today and check again tomorrow and i bet you'll see results...also, i was eating on plan for weeks on end and not losing because i was simply eating too much on-plan food...that may not be the case at all with you, but that is what was happening to me...

abi, i could use you and your sister over here! :-)

hope everyone has a great day!...i had a couple of cubes of cantaloupe and the last of the turkey chili which was just a small bowl, for breakfast today...then i drank 24 oz of water and i feel very full...may have a small salad mid-afternoon and not sure what dinner will be...

i think it's gonna be hot, so i will try to get some pool time exercise in...

i am having a CT scan of my hip on monday morning - they say it will take about 20 minutes...anyone ever had one?...i'm wondering what they are like?...

Last edited by tony8; 06-29-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #863
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Tony,

I've never had a CT scan, but I don't think they are invasive at all.

Silly me. I totally forgot about Linda's low carb recipes. She has quite a few low carb "potato" salad recipes and I'm right on track!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #864
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, I feel your frustration with no results after sticking to the plan. I am not going to make the challenge which makes me feel bad. I feel like I have let you all down. You are so close to making it so don't give up! Just think how you are going to feel when school starts up in the fall and everyone is saying "Vicki, you look terrific!"

Marilee, sorry you were not feeling well. Hope you feel good for the weekend. Super on only 8oz to go!!

Beth, I bet that lemon water would work very well to drop water weight. May give that a try. Plain water is so blah.

Tony, do you have to go to Boston to have the ct scan? I have never had one either.

FF, how is your weekend going? Don't get overheated.

I had two black angus burgers yesterday and a little cheese. I found some Heinz catsup that only had one gram of carb per tablespoon. I haven't had catsup in years and boy did it taste gooood to me! May have more of the same today unless DH decides he wants steaks on the grill. Can't resist those!

Have a wonderful Saturday all! I will be mowing the lawn at the house early on. Agent told my brother he has shown house 3 times. First two not interested but third is and wants to know about the right of way over the bank down to the water below. People around here are real kayak lovers and they like the idea of being able to get into the water without having to drive somewhere. Agent is researching who owns the property. Says it is someone out in Las Vegas!

Last edited by Abigale; 06-30-2012 at 01:51 AM..
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #865
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Abi, you didn't let anyone down, not even yourself. Look at all tha that you have had to deal with in the past several months. Gosh, you done well not to have gained a ton of weight. The next challenge starts soon and you can jump in on that one.

One thing I allow myself on plan is the reduced sugar ketchup or catsup. I don't use a lot of it, but I love it on my hamburgers. I have a bottle of it in the refrigerator now. Yum!

Holding my own on the weight...hope it lasts.

Regarding the next challenge, I have an idea to contribute...how about everyone picks their own goal....but it has to be a bit of a reach. In other words, we can't say we will lose a pound I would like to commit to another 10 minimum, as I'm pretty sure I can do that again with the occasional "off plan" meals, lilke the baby shower luncheon at work on the 16th.

It's going to be another hot day today - 112 is the predicted high and the humidity is up (not like you all in the Mid-West and East, but higher for us) as the monsoon season as kicked in. They are predicting our first rain of the season on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Please keep your fingers crossed that we get it. We've had a drought for the past 14 years and really need the water.

Well, I better get some chores done before it's too hot to want to do anything.

TTYL

Marilee
Old 06-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #866
Blabbermouth!!!

I am here, busy day today. Will check back and catch up tomorrow. On plan today thankfully.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #867
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Marilee for the pep talk. I needed that!

Got the lawn mowed yesterday at the house. Saw they had a picture of it in the classified real estate section. Hoping we can sell it before insurance and next property taxes are due. That will be August and September.

Did some cleaning in our garage yesterday. We sit out in it quite often at night because there is a nice view from it and it is much cooler than the back side of the house in the sun. Bama likes it because she can run around trying to catch chipmunks. lol She never does.

Had some tuna salad and a couple of hamburgers yesterday.

Will be going out to breakfast after church with brother and sister in law. I miss them. Last week they were in Cleveland and so it has been 2 weeks since I have seen them. Will have scrambled eggs and bacon I'm pretty sure. I love their omlets but they are too much to eat at one setting and I hate to waste food.

Hope everyone has a relaxing Sunday!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #868
Blabbermouth!!!

Family is here this week. So, posts will be hit and miss, see you in the next blitz. BlitZ X July 1, 2012 - Oct. 1, 2012

Last edited by vli1127; 07-01-2012 at 01:52 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #869
Blabbermouth!!!

226 this thread, 250's now
Closed Thread