Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #811
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
abi, good luck on your first day of work!!!...when you get home at 4, before opening the fridge, drink a huge glass of water and wait ten minutes...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #812
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i was actually out of the house yesterday.

it got up to the mid 80s. i took along lots of paper towels to mop up the sweat. i could have filled an Olympic sized awimming pool. i stopped into Dunkin' to get a diet coke and a big container of ice. On the way back, about 5 hours later, i enjoyed a waffle cone with 2 nice size scoops of pistachio almond ice cream. No guilt. soimetimes you got to. I told the guy to cram in as much as would fit. that was 2 scoops. i am also for this hot weather dropping the heavy meals, and going with salads and veggies with a little protein. Still low carb, and much lower in calories than even the one meal a day i have been averaging Mon-Fri. I think that may work for me, through October, anyway. Only one fay to know for sure, and that is to do it. Tony, you seem to be reconciling yourself to reality. That is good. i was 51 when i had the surgery, so you are about the same age as i was then. But, by Zeus, get a 2nd opinion anyway. It certainly will not hurt. FF
Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #813
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
kbeth, You go girl, you can do this.

Tony, congrats on the blitz low.

Marilee, how did the weekend go?

Abi, sounds like a yummy lunch. I am going to make that bread, maybe later today. But, I will use almond butter because I have close to a whole jar of it.

ff, I think an occasional treat, if eaten in the right mindset, is ok as long as we return to the regular LC WOE.

I said I was following Fat Flush. But, I am not totally on that plan. I remember why I haven't been able to follow it true to the T. Flax oil and vinegar is primarily what is used for salad dressing. I don't mind oil and vinegar, but a steady diet of it turns me off. Also, no dairy of which I need my cheese for variations. Regardless, I am following a LC plan, even if it is loosely Fat Flush. Day 7 in the works.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #814
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
I wrote a long whiney post last night, hit delete and wrote a positive one instead. It worked, lol!! I woke up feeling much more content. I had been following the plan to a T for days, but just felt really bored by it. Nothing is sounding good right now. I had to talk myself into the "Food is Fuel" mindset.
I was rewarded with getting back down to last Tuesday's weight this morning. I probably won't lose any this week, but at least I'm not UP any longer.

B: eggs in butter
L: chicken and broc
S: nuts and cheese and cantaloupe
D: hamburger and salad
Going to TRY to start Callanetics today. I see such amazing results when I actually DO it, I just need to DO it, lol!!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #815
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Good morning!

I broke my rule and got on the scales this morning and I lost a 4.4 pounds!!!!! My feet and ankles are their normal size. Drinking lots of water and only eating meat I think was the clincher for me.

I have 3.2 pounds to lose for the challenge. By golly, I think we can do this!

Abi, thinking about you today on your job. I hope it goes well for you.

Kbeth, not to worry about the challenge. I think we should start another one and do this every Blitz. Who's in?

Unfortunately, I just can't eat any bread - I don't care what it's made out of. I have no control and would eat way tooooo much. It's a mental thing.

Marilee
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #816

good for u gibby!!!

bread and starch is my Achilles heel as well. Just about every lb i need to lose was put their by bread, potatos, and rice....well mostly. Abi, great luck on your new job. Once u establish an MO there, you can plan lunch. I love using pork rinds to scoop up tuna salad, egg salad, etc. However, I very rarely use them owing to the sodium factor. As soon as the weather gets crisp, though, I will make a mess of fried critters with PCs as my breading. Mess in every sense of the word. There will be a lot of it, and it will get messy.I am getting a rollaway bed to sleep in the living room, with the AC. enough is enough!!! FF
Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #817
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

congrats to kbeth and marilee for staying strong!...i'm proud of you girls...

ff, your new woe plan sounds really great - i hope you do that til october, if you can, cuz i have no doubt it would bring you results!...

the scale was down another .4 lbs. today to 216.8...first time i've been below 217 in months...i'm happy about it...i really am looking at everything i eat as "will it make me healthier?"...hope i can sustain this attitude til the surgery...i think i can...

i gotta lose 3.6 lbs. over the next 8 days...this is getting more and more doable...

today:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: salad
d: turkey chili

and LOTS o' WATER :-)

wonder how abi is doing?...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 06-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #818
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oops...instead of salad, the turkey chili was done so i had that and will graze on it tonight...it is absolutely delicious!...

hope everyone is having a great day...

abi, if you check in, please tell us about your first day of work!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #819
Blabbermouth!!!

tony, have you posted your recipe for the turkey chili before? If so, where and if not, can you? I am baking two loaves of nut butter bread. One is all almond butter and the other is part almond butter part pnut butter http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ter-bread.html
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #820
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG! I was feeling "different" today - tummy was a little flatter, etc. so just for yucks I popped on the scale when I got home and HOLY CANOLLI! I dropped more weight and only have less than a pound to meet the challenge! Of course the trick now is to keep it off and hopefully, lose some more.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #821
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Darn, just lost a long post and am out of time now. Starting at 7 now instead of 8. Anyway to make a long story short remember the classic Lucy and Ethel at the chocolate factory? - well it was pretty close to it! lol Will fill you in more tomorrow. Got to get the dog to do something before I leave.

Have a great day all!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #822
Major LCF Poster!

Same as last Tuesday, so no loss for this week...but no gain, either, and I had several indulgences this week. Therefore, I'm calling this a WIN! If I lose 2 more pounds in our final week, I will make the challenge goal. WOOT!

Abi...I hope you are enjoying your new job! I have to tell you, when I read about your description of the pretty shop and restaurant area, I thought: that's just perfect for the Abi that I picture in my mind. Now, you're in the factory, right? Do you get to bring home pretty candles at the end of the day??

Gibby...Wow, that's awesome, Woman!! Nothing like that less-bloated feeling, is there??
Old 06-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #823

i had no idea how beautifully cool the weather was

until i stepped outside this a.m.-63 degrees F. The high will be 78. pity it will not last. the hot and sticky is returning and with a vengenance. i am getting a roll-a-way bed to sleep in the air conditioned room. i can't go through another summer in misery. Last night i fell asleep at 8pm, and woke up at midnight. then it was on and off till i got out of bed for real. I feel like the 3rd member of the ruling body of the TWILIGHT ZONE, the other two are ROD SERLING & BURGESS MEREDITH. FF
Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #824
Blabbermouth!!!

Look out folks this post is going to be long !!!

Marilee, Whoop, Whoop.

Abi, I remember that episode . . . sorry about that. You can get back on track. Drink lots of water.

kbeth, I like your motivation and attitude.

ff, we are a day ahead of you as far as the weather. I think today will be our last "good" day for temps. Then, look out. AC will be on for a while.

My oldest son and his fiance' are here now and we played Phase 10 last night. It will be a fun couple of weeks.

When I was successful with LC woe, I took a bit of advice from various plans. I get very frustrated at all the conflicting "research" as I re-read books I have. Seems there are always two sides to any food related material etc. In fact, as I was searching Google images for a low carb pyramid, many had protein on the bottom rung. I don't think a majority of my food intake should come from protein sources. I finally found the one I have in my avatar. I like it because the emphasis is on veggies first, then protein.

For supper last night all I had was a few slices of the "nut butter" bread that I made yesterday, 2 loaves. The OP of the recipe which came from 24/7 Low Carb Diner, said the bread could be used for sandwiches . . . NOT. I could taste the nuts too much. I can't see putting mustard, mayo, cheese or meat on this bread. Despite the minimal amount of AS (1/2 packet of Truvia per loaf) it was "sweet" enough to be a "nut or dessert" bread. I sliced both loaves and froze them for future treats. I can see toasting the bread for breakfast and smearing a small amount of "jelly" on it or butter.

A trip to Walgreens netted 3 cans of nuts and I ate 1/3 of some Virginia peanuts, crunchy. I put them away in the cupboard in hopes that out of sight, out of mind.

I did weigh this morning 224.2 today. My goal right now is to get below 220. I have been in the 220's for a very long time now and have been up and down within this range.

This morning I had a smoothie with veggies, strawberries, hemp milk, water, protein powder and flax oil. Lunch will be a turkey burger and veggies and/or salad. I also have two 4 lb chickens in the oven right now because they were marked down for clearance due to exp. date. We will have plenty of chicken to last a while.

I have been a daily exerciser for quite a few years, something like 10-12 at least. Probably since my gastric staple in 97 and conversion to gastric bypass in 01'. Anyways, I have had some minor set backs due to torn cartilage in both knees on separate occasions as I know you are aware of. I had a right knee scope done a couple of years ago and left knee was done this past Dec. It always seems to take me a while to build back up endurance and strength. I have noticed lately that the strength and endurance are back for the most part. I did a 45 min. Gilad DVD this morning. Walking is picking up some speed and I walk a couple of times a week in place of a DVD. I have been taking one day off a week which is one of the weekend days.

My DH has acclimated to my schedule of which I get up early and exercise first thing in the morning. So we both get the exercise out of the way. However, we don't always do the same DVD due to space and equipment limitations. We will walk together, but lately, I have been walking on a different day than he does because I feel I am holding him back. The walking speed is taking a while to pick back up.

Before he moved in, he used to exercise at night and was up until around 10 to 10:30 and slept until 6. Bless his heart, he now gets up at 4:45-5:00 with me and we are in bed reading by 8:45 - 9.

I am feeling pretty good as this is a week now that I have been back on the wagon. Not perfect, but certainly much better than my plan has been, or lack there of. I feel pretty solid on the wagon and not hanging on by the edge.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #825
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

vicki, i am so happy to hear that you are firmly on track again...i have no doubt you will get back into the 2-teens very soon!...i didn't realize you were so diligent about your exercising - that is awesome...that has been my one constant throughout all these blitzes - my ab and weight workout every other day...it definitely helps!...by the way, i don't think abi was eating chocolates yesterday, i think she meant working in the candle factory had similar, funny moments...lol...

abi, sorry you lost your post - hope you have time later today to fill us in...it sounds like you enjoyed your first day though - hope so!...

kbeth, i think it's great that you were able to indulge a bit and were still disciplined enough to get back on track and not gain for the week...i'm betting on you losing those two lbs. this week - it always seems easier to lose weight the week after you hold steady...although, as i've told you before, you are a lot smaller than some of us so it is harder for you to lose 10 lbs. so quickly - it will be a major coup if you do it, girl!

marilee, you are amazing!!!...i hope you know that!...you really showed me something during this challenge - changing things up, not getting discouraged and WINNING!...way to go!

ff, great idea about the bed in the a/c room!...that's gonna be life-changing this summer!

i really am proud of all of us - we showed a lot of spunk and resilience and lost a lot of weight...i wouldn't bet against any of us during this last week!...i'm thinking the next challenge/blitz goal should be 5% of our body weight...that keeps it reasonable based on our relative weights and gives us three months to hit the goal...for those who do not want to post their weights, they can just post their progress in percentages each week...let me know what ya think?...

be back in a bit with my weigh-in info...

Last edited by tony8; 06-26-2012 at 07:11 AM..
Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #826
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! It was 90 degrees at 4:30 AM We have severe heat warnings from the weather channel for the next 2 days - 110-112....

I had to peek at the scale this morning and it was up from last night, but down from yesterday morning so things are good.

5% of my body weight is 15.95 pounds - holy cow! I'll give it my best shot.

Vicki, glad to see you in an "up" swing. I don't read a lot of books or do a lot of research because confusion in the weight loss business makes me gain weight - I know that sounds funny, but it is true. I kind of get a WTH attitude and blow it. I'm a sick, sad person

I have to go....time to work. I'll check back in later.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #827
Major LCF Poster!

vicki...that's amazing that you have exercised on a regular basis for more than a decade! While I have been really fit at times, I have never been consistent with it. I need to work on that. Regular exercise is so important!
So sweet that your DH gets up with you!!! I am trying to remember from when I was on here last year; did you just recently get married?

FF...a cozy roll-a-way in front of a window unit sounds heavenly. I hope you are able to get it before the heatwave!

tony...how is your daughter liking her new place? Is she at all as creeped out by it as you are?? Years ago when I was working overnights in a building ALL by myself, there was a girl attacked in our parking lot. My husband got me a stun gun that looked like a cell phone! It's the coolest thing! I'm not a freak about it, but when I am in a "shady" area I have it in my hand, unlocked and ready to go. It looks just like I'm carrying a cell phone. It would bring a bad guy to his knees...and with any luck make him pee his pants.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #828
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the support guys. Even though I have been diligent with exercising, I can't out exercise a bad diet. I saw that somewhere.

Kbeth, I got married March 17th but DH had moved in December.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #829

i may be a day off. I am going Thursday after work

i am hoping the discount store near my bank has one, otherwise, i will have to go hunting in the heat. The forecast is for high 80s and 90, but it is the humidity that is the killer. I am off Friday, and I most certainly hope that B&N is air-conditioned. They are the only store that carries BBC magazine. There is no deal on subscription $$$ so I get them once a month which incl a free cd. that and a large iced something or other is my sole expenditure there. So delighted with everyone's motivation and progress. BEWARE SCALE OBSESSION SYNDROME!!! FF
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #830
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

kbeth, if sarah is creeped out she isn't telling me...it's a really cute house in a "nice" neighborhood - as a dad i see it as risky cuz it is surrounded by houses with occupants i don't know...and if she screams, i'm not sure anyone would hear her or help...i love the idea of the stun gun that looks like a cell phone...can you pm me some info on where i might be able to get her something like that?...thanks!

marilee, the 5% challenge is only in the discussion phase...lol...i just thought if we had three months, it might be doable...i wanna know how y'all feel about it...

ff, good luck on the bed hunt!

vicki, you're right - we can't out-exercise a bad diet...by the way, i posted my chicken chili recipe several pages ago and this is the same except that i cook and chop finely a few pounds of lean, ground turkey in place of the cut-up chicken in the crock pot...it is soooo good!

well, kids, yesterday i finally did what i've been meaning to do and drank a ton of water...i can tell when it is working to flush me out cuz i seem to be peeing more than i'm drinking...for about 2 hours, i was up every 15 minutes...had to keep pausing the movie we were watching :-)

anyway, this morning, i was down 2 lbs. from yesterday and hit 214.8 for the first time in several months!...that's down 5.8 lbs. for the week!...i only have 1.6 lbs. to lose this last week to hit the challenge goal and i WILL DO IT!...

i have never felt this way before, but barring some medical issue that causes weight gain, i know i will never see 220 again...it's all about motivation and now that i am facing the first serious health intervention of my life, it has been a HUGE wake-up call for me...some of my hip problem has to be self-inflicted due to weight and the meds i take are directly related to weight, and i am sick of hurting myself...my aversion to doctors and hospitals is stronger than my desire for the wrong foods - it is as simple as that...

i may be wrong, but i really believe that i now have what i need to reach my overall goal and that is the right motivation...

Last edited by tony8; 06-26-2012 at 10:43 AM..
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #831
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yea, Tony!!!!! Isn't it amazing how water helps us so much! congratulations on your new resolved. It's also amazing how a little fear can motivate us
Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #832
Blabbermouth!!!

KUTGW Tony, I will go back and find the chile recipe. BTW, what movie were you watching?

Post # 546 is Tony's chili recipe.

Last edited by vli1127; 06-26-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #833
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

happy you found it, vicki!...we were watching the newer sherlock holmes movie... :-)

thanks, marilee!

and thanks for the info, kbeth ;-)

today:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: salad with evoo and acv and feta cheese and turkey chili
d: eggplant parm - YUMMY!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #834
Major LCF Poster!

vicki...I can't remember who said it (Robb Wolf??) but: "Exercise is important. Diet is crucial." I always think of that (when I'm lying on the couch eating protein and veggies, lol)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #835
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Well, when they said the job was temporary they weren't kidding. Someone came back to work that had been out so I am out of job. Well it was a very interesting 2 days lol and they did say when they needed someone again they would give me a call which was nice. So I am back pounding the pavement. Did not lose a pound either for all my hard work.

Anyway it's nice to have more time to read everyone's posts and see how great everyone is doing! Hoping for a good day and start seeing some results on the scale.

Marilee, maybe an all meat day would give me a kick start. I lost most of my weight by eating almost 0 carb. I have alot of tuna salad in frig I had made up for lunches so will eat on that today.

Vicki, the peanut butter bread was only so so with the tuna salad. The almond butter bread was much better. I did not put any sweetener in either. I thought the almond bread tasted more like a very neutral regular bread. I saw that the sweetener was optional so just decided to leave it out. If you have some of the almond butter left try making the loaf without any sweetener. Toasted with butter it tastes very close to real bread to me.

Tony, I am going to try the fat flush today. If I'm not working I might as well be guzzling water. Don't you feel happy that you got most everyone motivated to succeed in the the ten pound challenge (except me unfortunately) But I am motivated to get some more off by the 3rd!

FF, hope you have been able to get the roll away cot for in front of your ac before the next heat wave hits. You need your sleep and you need to be comfortable to get it.

Beth, I didn't get to bring home any pretty candles on my two day stint but it was nice smelling the different scents as the different batches went through. Creme Brulee and patchouli were two of them. Seeing how the machines worked first hand was very interesting. When I was a kid there was a show called "Industry on Parade" which always fascinated me.

Wishing you all a great day!

Last edited by Abigale; 06-27-2012 at 01:22 AM..
Old 06-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #836

i hope i will succeed on my 1st attempt.

but, if not, i am off Friday, so i am sure i will find something. what is a FAT FLUSH? FF
Old 06-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #837
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey abi, sorry about the job...it's their loss - where are they gonna find another lucille ball in vermont???...i am happy about how well everyone seems to be doing, INCLUDING you...remember, there are three states we are all familiar with: losing weight, holding steady and gaining weight...as i see it, the first two are integral parts of getting to a healthy, lower weight and i don't think anyone has gained during this challenge, so i think we are all on the right track...

they say we are never too old to learn, and even after 2 1/2 years of these blitzes, i am learning something new this week, and it is the power of our minds to affect us physically...the fear and shock that i felt last friday has had the effect of flipping a switch in me...what seemed almost always so difficult and even impossible now seems so logical and simple...

i need to be healthier to have my best chance at a successful (not to mention to SURVIVE) surgery, and i need to lose weight to get healthier - that's it!...flip the switch...i only want to eat healthy things - no temptation, no cravings for things that are not whole and healthy foods...and my body seems to know just how much food i actually need and allows me to feel full when i should...the weight is falling off me as a result...

i feel normal in relation to food for the first time in years...i'm not even trying - my brain just seems to be getting it right all of a sudden...i do not understand it, i wish i could bottle it and i may lose it tomorrow, but for right now, i must be in some sort of self-preservation mode that trumps all my dysfunctions...

i'm sharing this because it may help us to realize how big a part our minds and simple motivation play in all of this...and if we can make it about our health and our survival and our aversion to being ill and medical procedures, maybe some of you can find what i am finding now without getting to the place i am now...

i drank a lot last night too...i am sure there is a limit to how much flushing helps but i am probably flushing toxins if not weight...i'll weigh in a bit and be back...6 more days kids - LET'S ROCK 'EM!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #838
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Tony is our inspiration!

When I was driving in to work this morning I was thinking about our small but faithful group. Whether or now we each reach the goal of 10 pounds, we have all lost or are staying steady. That's an accomplishment, like Tony said.

Great minds, and all that......

I am a very competitive person, but I am going to be proud of myself for what I did lose during this challenge, even if I don't hit the 10 pounds. I need to lose 2.8 pounds to do it.

Here's today's eats:

B-3 hard boiled eggs, coffee with HWC
L-2 chicken thighs and a yellow pepper
D-pork chops and salad with onions,cucumbers and tomatoes, EVOO and vinegar

Abi, I'm sorry about the job. Hoping you find another one soon!

Last edited by Gibby; 06-27-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #839
Major LCF Poster!

Tony...I know we've talked alot about the elusive switch flipping to ON. It is an incredibly powerful feeling/emotion when you really have a handle on things and understand: Food is Fuel. Food is "medicine" so-to-speak. With the health issues that I have, I know that it is IMPERATIVE that I eat this way, so I am flabbergasted when I do eat junk. I am so hoping that your grasp on this feeling lasts long enough for you to get to your optimum health. Perhaps re-reading post #838 will keep you in that place. Get it, my brotha!!

Abi...well, that's something to put on your resume anyway!! lol.
As for weight-loss, don't forget how much has been going on in your life the last several months. Although you seem to be handling everything extraordinarily well, any level of stress could raise your cortisol. It seems that they are finding more and more that stress i.e. raised cortisol levels can affect your ability to lose weight. Do you think you could take a few days to just relax and focus on your health or do you need to find work pretty quickly?

Last edited by kbeth; 06-27-2012 at 07:38 AM..
Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #840
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

great menu, marilee...and i agree, we should all be proud at sticking with this and continuing to try and never giving up, no matter what happens next tuesday on the scale...

it is so much easier to quit at some point - we've all done it numerous times before - but the folks in this blitz, and i'm including jenny and artemis and britt and hoping they are doing well in absentia, have kept at it through all the trials and tribulations...that says a lot about us...

even when we have struggled, we have been here to encourage others and have not let go of the "rope of hope"...it not only says a lot about our character, but i believe is the best indicator that we are all GOING TO SUCCEED and reach our goal of getting to and maintaining a lower, healthier weight!...

love you guys!
Closed Thread