Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #781
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, you know best what you need and don't need bro, so stay off the scale if it feels right...

abi, your mom and dad would be proud of you for all you have done for your family and that house...

Vicki, not a bad idea to stay off the scale til you feel thinner if there's a chance the numbers may derail you!

well, i just got back from the surgeon at mass general and i got pretty bad news...my hip is so bad, it is almost fused - he said he wishes he saw me 5 years ago...he said it will be a 9 out of 10 in difficulty for him to do and for me to recover from as well as the outcome and risks are in greater doubt...he's gotta chisel out bone spurs and maybe break bone and he wants to use radiation to kill the end of the bone so i do not grow new spurs after surgery which would be a disaster i guess...of course radiation increases cancer risk etc...

instead of the normal 1 1/2-2 hour surgery and 4-6 week initial recovery period, i'm looking at 3-3 1/2 hours and 6-12 weeks IF everything goes well...

i'm a bit shaken right now and have to wrap my head around it all...of course, he suggested losing weight between now and surgery - which may happen in september or early october and there are tons of procedures which need to take place before surgery, including donating my own blood twice, cat scans, medical clearance from my doctor etc...

i know once i process all this, i will find a way to handle it emotionally - i'm just a bit shocked because no one ever told me that i could complicate things so much by waiting to have surgery - in fact, everything i read and the previous surgeon said the exact opposite...

but this guy is the head of orthopaedic surgery at one of the best hospitals in the country, so i trust his judgement...

what a mess...then last night i got a call from my best friend's brother telling me that my friend passed away yesterday in las vegas where he had been in hospitals for a couple of years...i've known him since i was 16 years old...we talked all the time - huge loss...

so it's been a rough 16 hours, kids!...

the silver lining is that i could not ask for better motivation to lose weight over the next two months...lower weight means healthier body which means lower risk of croaking during this major surgery...thanks for listening - i needed to vent...i'll be fine once this all sinks in and i resign myself to what has to be done...

today, so far:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: ? (salad?)
d: grilled chicken i've been marinating since yesterday in evoo, acv, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and 2 beaten eggs...this was a recipe a buddy in nashville gave me last week - i'll let you know how it turns out... :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 06-22-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #782
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
yes, i remember the initial shock as if it was yesterday

it was almost 10 years ago that i had my knee replacement. I also donated my own blood for myself. it came in handy the surgeon said, and it took him almost double the expected time. I also was instructed to lose weight so that i would be able to do the physical therapy. I managed to do so, losing over 80 lbs by the time they cut me open. I lost an add'l 15 lbs during the 12 day stay, and another 10 or so in the weeks afterward.....then..... it all came back so damned quickly. Although your ortho man seems to be the best, it is wise to get a 2nd opinion. You are entitled. So sorry about your friend in Vegas. I was seriously hoping I would meet him one day. Tony, i will be sending good vibes your way this weekend. FF
Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #783
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
((((((Tony)))))) what an ordeal.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #784
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Tony, I'm so sorry about the bad news you received on your hip and the loss of you friend.

It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion, just to make sure.

I don't think I'll weigh until July 3rd......the ups and downs of the scale can make me disheartened and want to cheat - which I usually give in to.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #785
Major LCF Poster!

thanks for the support guys...i appreciate it...

ff, i was hoping you could have met billy too - you two would have really hit it off...thanks for sharing the story of your knee replacement...it helps to talk to folks who have "been there"...

marilee, don't get on the scale if it may affect you negatively...staying on track is more important than the scale at this point...thanks for the kind words! :-)

i got a first opinion two years ago from a new hampshire ortho practice, and they told me i needed a replacement...but they said it wouldn't matter if i put it off until the pain got worse...for better or worse, i must have such a high tolerance for pain, that i could let it go further than anyone imagined i would...

i decided to go to boston to get an opinion this time...i'm banking on the fact that this guy is a noted surgeon who operated on the governor of massachusetts last year...hips are all he does and mass general is such a great hospital, i'm thinking if something goes wrong, it would be a great place to be...

i'm getting a grip on the whole idea - trying to get myself into the right frame of mind to face this...

be back in a bit!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #786
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Tony, so sorry to hear about your best friend's passing. What a tough day for you. We all feel so sad for your loss plus the emotional upheaval of the surgeon's assessment of your hip.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #787
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, abi...i appreciate the support...so happy i have you guys!

so, the total menu today:
l: salad tooped with salmon
d: 3 chicken thighs grilled and a spoonful of baked beans

i'm stuffed!...lol
Old 06-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #788
Major LCF Poster!

got a bit hungry, so i ate a small spoonful of peanut butter...

i thought you might all find that INTERESTING!...haha!

Last edited by tony8; 06-22-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #789
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very interesting! I had a yummy food day today:

B-bacon and eggs
L-2 chicken thighs and a tomato
D-large salad with onions, tomatoes, hard boiled egg, bacon and hickory ranch dressing. Yum, Yum
Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #790
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
I don't think I'll weigh until July 3rd......the ups and downs of the scale can make me disheartened and want to cheat - which I usually give in to.
I agree.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #791
Major LCF Poster!

great menu, marilee!...when you look at all the awesome on-plan foods we have to choose from, it can be hard to understand how we fall off the wagon so often, can't it?...

vicki, hope you are having a wonderful on-plan evening!
Old 06-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #792
Major LCF Poster!

Well the good news is that I have a job starting on Monday. You will find this interesting Tony, I have a temporary job at the Kringle Candle company in Bernardston, Mass! It is through the employment company from Keene. Have no idea how long the job will last. Time will tell. The bad news is that I didn't sleep all night. lol New job jitters I guess. Hey the main thing is that I get a good night's sleep Sunday night!

FF, the other up side of getting the job is that I will be out of the house and away from food calling to me! Temps are starting to cool down a little. Yea!

I agree Vicki and Marilee on the ups and downs of the scale can be depressing. I wish I wasn't addicted to weighing.

Have a great day Blitzers!
Old 06-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #793
Major LCF Poster!

CONGRATULATIONS, abi!...isn't that the place where i ate when i was visiting my friends?...that is a cool place!...i hope you are working somewhere in that beautiful complex doing something FUN!...do you know what you will be doing?...

i am REALLY motivated right now - don't know how long this will last, but i am so concerned about how concerned the surgeon was, that i am now on a mission to try to give him the healthiest possible patient to work on...yesterday, everything that went into my mouth, i asked myself: is this good for my body and will it serve a purpose to promote my health?...of course, there is wiggle room in the answer as i don't think baked beans are considered health-food, but......

ff, what you lost in support of your surgery is very inspirational to me and i am using it as a challenge - thank you...i think when we are really facing a health threat, we can find the will to do most anything as part of our self-preservation instinct...i am hoping that is true and trying to turn this negative into a positive...

making an appearance at some friends' party today - two of their children just graduated - one from high school and one from college - i went to college with the mom and dad...

i hope everyone has a great saturday and i will check in later!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #794
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
tony...I just read about your difficult 16 hours. I had a good cry for you, then said a prayer for you. I am so sorry about your friend. Perhaps he's sending you strength and love to get you strong and healthy for the months ahead. I'd like to think so, anyway.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #795
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, kbeth - you are so sweet...i'm just hoping my buddy won't miss me so much that he wants me to join him!...haha!

actually, i feel much better about it today...i am so lucky that at 53, i have never battled serious health problems, never even had a broken bone...it's simply my turn to deal with what most folks have to deal with - and it's only right that i accept it willingly, with no complaints...

i'm not gonna say that i know how it will turn out, but i am going to put my fate in the hands of good doctors and do my part to be as healthy as possible in two months and roll the dice...it's an adventure i have never had - and i'm gonna strap myself in for the ride...if things go well, i may even gain a perspective that i can use in my songwriting...

thanks so much for caring about me - it means a lot!... :-)

oops, it's 11:30 and i have not eaten yet today...
Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #796
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning.

Abi, congratulations on the new job! I hope you like it and it likes you

Tony, I agree....maybe you should try to eat a little more and more often during the day. Your body needs fuel (I know you realize that) and it will speed up your metabolism.

My ankles and feet are swollen so I am retaining water. So far today, I've had 2 HUGE glasses of ice water and I will keep on going. It's a good thing I'm home - hoping for a lot of pp action. That's probably one of the reasons why the scale went up.

Anywho, for breakfast I had a salad-lettuce with a slice of cheddar, onion tomato and crisp bacon. I ate a 6 (I've been up since 4:30) so I got a little hungy and just finished a couple of small chicken thighs grilled. Lunch will be another salad with boiled ham. For dinner, I have the rest of the brisket I bought a couple of weeks ago in the slow cooker with seasonings and a chunk of onion.

Good eats today. Tomorrow I'll go grocery shopping and stock up.

How's everyone else doing today?

Off to watch "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers". It isn't the original black and white, but it is a good version none-the-less.

Marilee
Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #797
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, that's what we like about you. If someone hands you lemons, you make lemonade!

Thanks Marilee, I hope so too!

I just drove down to the candle gift shop to find out where the manufacturing plant is. It is up on a hill as you drive into town behind a big Kringle Candle sign. I walked through the gift shop to see all they had. Beautiful arrangements. The Farm Table restaurant is across the road from the gift shop. I guess the plant used to be in the back of the building but they have gotten so big they moved it to the larger space at the beginning of town.

I am starting to feel the effects of no sleep last night. Yawn. Talk to you all later!

Last edited by Abigale; 06-23-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Old 06-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #798
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, abi...you're so nice, but i thought you girls liked my butt! :-)

marilee, i hope you pee a river today!

i got on the scale and it is down to 218.8, which is 1.8 lbs. down from tuesday, which is a step in the right direction...to hit the challenge goal, i have to lose 5+ lbs. in 10 days!...omg, can i do that?...YES I CAN!...

Last edited by tony8; 06-23-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #799
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats on the wt loss Tony

Abi, congrats on the job

kbeth, have a good Saturday

Marilee, keep chugging that water

I am on plan still, day 5. Just got home from cruising around for about an hour trying to see if we could find my son and his friends bikes that were stolen from that ball park. No luck. Why can't people leave stuff alone that isn't theirs?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #800
Major LCF Poster!

ooo, vicki, i must have missed the stolen bike post - sorry to hear that, but VERY HAPPY to hear you are on plan for 5 days...you can do it for 6 and that's all you have to worry about, not 20...then you make it 7 and so on...YOU CAN DO THIS!

today:
l: skipped
d: 2 leftover grilled chicken thighs and two big glasses of unsweet, decaf green tea with cinnamon

all i can think about right now when i go to eat something is whether it will help me when they get me in the hospital...i'll take the incentives wherever i can get them!...when i was heavier, i snored a lot and had some sleep apnea which i never sought treatment for, but after i lost 25 lbs., my snoring became more like heavy breathing and no more apnea...when i get over 220, i start snoring louder so i know i want to be breathing correctly under anesthesia, so that is driving me to want to get thinner before i go in...

i really think that by the time i recover from surgery, i may be able to reach 1derland - or at least by the end of this year, for the first time in 23 years!...that would be a great bonus!...

Last edited by tony8; 06-23-2012 at 06:06 PM..
Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

Sleep was a little fitful to start last night but finally settled in for a good long stretch. Feel much peppier this morning.

Thanks Vicki on the congrats! I am thankful in this economy that I got something even though it is just temporary. Good going on 5 days in a row. I hope with being out of the house I will get 5 days in a row this week of reasonable quantities of daily intake.So sorry about the boys bikes being stolen. Hoping they were just "borrowed" and they will get them back quickly. Keep us posted.

Marilee, if I had known you were up at 4:30 yesterday we could have had a nice back and forth chat. lol Oh, wait, we are on different time zones aren't we.

Tony, I know you are going to lose those 5 pounds in 10 days! You are on a mission now!
We had a nice soaker late yesterday so DH is glad the garden doesn't have to watered for a couple of days. Should start getting summer squash and zuchini in a couple of days. The tomato plants have flowers now but they look so scrawny this year, like when they get tomatoes finally they will just snap in two.lol

Hope FF is having a relaxing weekend. Having fun FF?

wishing Artemis and Britt would check in and where is Jenny? Is it cherry picking time already for her?

Have a great Sunday all!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #802
Major LCF Poster!

hey abi, happy you got a good night's sleep...i did too...

went to that party last night and didn't eat or drink anything other than a seltzer water...ate the grilled chicken when we got home...after i posted last night i was hungry so i had about 4 oz of egg salad and called it a late lunch! :-)

i will have to look back to confirm this, but i think i need to get to 213.2 to hit the 10-lb. goal...based on yesterday's weigh-in, that is 5.6 lbs...i think i can do it!

i'm ashamed to say that i have never given blood in my life - it's not that i wouldn't, it's just that i have never been asked at a time when i could...now i have to give two units over the next several weeks...does anyone know anything about the time you have to wait in between donations and how long it takes to re-make the blood and whether you can have surgery when you are somewhat depleted?...

not sure what i am making for dinner today...probably a salad for lunch though and something on the grill later...

hope y'all have a great sunday!...9 days til the final challenge weigh-in - let's ROCK IT!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #803
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Off plan last night with thin crust pizza, kind of planned. Back on today. I exercised this morning and worked up a sweat too. Off plan on Thursday night again for pizza. Funny how pizza wins the prize to break the plan, oh well.

My son and his fiance' will be here and he wants to take her to this great pizza place. This week and next will be family week for me. Next weekend my other son from Fort Hood will be home for the 4th and all of my kids will be here. The two older boys will be able to see the youngest play base ball too.

Last edited by vli1127; 06-24-2012 at 06:32 AM..
Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #804
Major LCF Poster!

vicki, that sounds like fun!...it's gonna be so nice to have all your sons around at the same time... :-)

when i crave pizza, i eat the toppings and if i really want the crust, i will just nibble a bit around the crispy crust-end...it may not be as filling as eating the whole slice, but it satisfies the craving - then if i'm still hungry, i'll supplement that with some lower carb choice like chicken wings...
Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #805
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone....

Tony, I don't know the answer to your blood donation questions, but I bet you can find your answer on the intenet.

Well, I accomplished my goal yesterday by drinking a lot of water. My feet and ankles are normal sized and I think I got rid of all of the excess water. I did sneak a peek on the scale and I dropped 3 pounds. Yes!

Today, I am going to further clean out my system by just eating meat...zero carbs. That and drinking lots of water and should be good to go tomorrow with normal LC eating.

Vicki-sorry about the boys getting their bikes stolen. I don't understand the whole thieving thing....we sure weren't brought up that way.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #806
Major LCF Poster!

well, y'all would've been very proud of me today...had an hb egg white for breakfast...picked up ice cream to bring to a friend in a nursing home and had NONE...

then went out to lunch and had some steamed clams and baked haddock - no starch, just cole slaw and grilled asparagus...the rolls looked so good - hot and crusty, but i had no problem resisting...And i only ate half of my fish and cole slaw and brought home the rest for later...

and i got good news when i climbed on the scale this morning...down to 217.2, which tied my low for this blitz from a few weeks ago...so i am down to having to lose 4 lbs. over the next 9 days...i'm down 8.4 lbs. for the blitz and 6 for the challenge...

thanks, marilee, i will do some research on giving blood - i did a quick search this morning and didn't find what i was looking for...i am a bit of a lazy google-er...lol...
Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #807
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, I found one answer for you - if a person is in good health, they can donate blood every 8 weeks.

Congratulations on eating more and staying away from the ice cream and starches...and your weight loss!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #808
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Checking in...been spot-on with LC ever since my tawdry affair with cereal and beer bread last week. Still up several pounds of bloat.....hoping to at least lose that by Tuesday's weigh in. If I can do that, I've only got 2 more pounds to lose to hit my 10!!
Let's finish strong in the last 9 days, y'all! WOOT!!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #809
Major LCF Poster!

yea, kbeth!...way to stay on-plan...i bet you'll drop most of that bloat by tuesday...

drinking a lot tonight and restaurant food always has so much salt even if it doesn't taste salty, so i'm guessing i'll add a bit of water-weight for tomorrow...i'll have to try to flush a lot tomorrow...
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #810
Major LCF Poster!

You guys are leaving me in cloud of dust on this challenge! But I am so happy with everyone's success. Really hoping getting to work will get me jump started.

I have my little lunch pail packed with a small 1/2 tuna sandwich with peanut butter bread. Same recipe as the almond bread but the natural peanut butter was cheaper so thought I would give it a try. Not sure how tuna will go with it - I'll let you know. By lunch break I should be so hungry it won't even matter. Also have a small zip lock with pork rinds and a bottle of water. Now if I don't eat us out of house and home at 4 this afternoon I should start seeing some results.

Have also put together a small pan of lasagna for DH for dinner. Since I have the time and energy at the start of my day I figured to try to get alot done. I may have ground beef or chicken and brocolli tonight as I have left overs of both.

Hope you all have a great Monday! Wish me luck!
Closed Thread