Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #751
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i took a vacation from technology.

i am in extreme anxiety over the weather that NY will be having tomorrow through Friday. Phoenix is coming to NYC, and I shall most certainly NOT be a gracious host. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #752
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
I missed you Blitzers!

The camping trip was a success! The little guy had a blast. Our campsite was walking distance to the beach and we all loved that. The dog, too! He swam and played so hard that at night, he would just walk himself into the tent and go to bed. It was so funny!

I stayed COMPLETELY on plan...which I could hardly believe with all of the camping snackies around....but really, it was so physically demanding that I could not afford to eat junk and feel cruddy. I did all of the set up and breaking down by myself, plus walking the trails and up and down the dunes (MAN, was that difficult!!) I kept pretending that I was in bootcamp, lol! I am so proud that I was able to do what I had to do. I am so grateful to have found Low Carb. There is NO WAY I would have had the strength and energy without it. THANK YOU Dr. Atkins for bringing this WOE to the masses!!!!!

Today's weigh in: Down 2 lbs!! Thank you, camping boot camp, lol.
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #753
Major LCF Poster!

FF...all joking aside, you probably would save enough $ to have some AC on the worst days if you didn't have to order out. I think I asked you about a crock pot waaay back in the blitz, but I don't remember what you said. I LOVE mine in the Summer. I throw a hunk of meat and some spices in...and in a few hours I have meat for several days. All without heating the place up.
Also, you had asked about energy on Low Carb. For me, I do have to have some veggies. I have tried VLC a few times, hoping for more energy and quicker weightloss. I got the exact opposite. When I'm eating some greens a couple times a day along with protein and plenty of fat...that's when I seem to feel my best. I know we are all wired differently, tho. Hopefully you will get some results from the B-12.
And good for you on buying some comfy walking shorts!! A few weeks ago, I finally bought some shorts and pants that fit. Amazing how much better I felt not cramming myself into stuff that's too tight.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #754
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey kbeth, i was thinking about you and wondering how the camping trip went...sounds like a blast!...and i am so happy that you were able to stay on-plan and that you feel so well...CONGRATS on the 2 lbs. girl!!!

in large part because of you, i eat a paleo type of LC diet...i eat as many veggies as i want and any natural whole food that is totally unprocessed - there is no way i will believe that it is unhealthy to eat a blueberry or strawberry...luckily, i am never tempted to overdo veggies and fruit - it's the junk i can't stop eating once i start, so i try not to start!...

great to have you back!

abi, i'm sure your brother will appreciate all you guys have done on the house...it's so nice that your family is so close - that's the way it should be...what lake is their camp on?...

on june 30th, we are going to a party on mascoma lake (i've never been) - it's my friend from brattleboro's wife's 50th b-day party and her family has a camp there...should be fun...

i am dreading the whole process with my hip, but it has gotten to be so painful and debilitating that i have to do something...it is waking me up at night now...when i get up from a chair or out of a car, i have to stand still for 10-seconds or so before i can put weight on it...i'm too young to not be able to do normal things, so i'm gonna put my trust in the medical profession very reluctantly...

ff, just turn on the a/c!...send me your address and i'll send you the money to run it during this heat wave...we'll consider it my membership fee for joining your blitzes :-)

vicki, vicki, vicki, you sound sad, girl...i think there may be something in your environment that's derailing you...you did so great last week - lost so much so quickly...YOU CAN DO THIS!...is there anything we can do to help?

weigh-in today kids...i'm hoping i am not heavier than the 219 i was two weeks ago!...i need to get to 213.2 to hit the goal for the challenge and it's gonna take a huge push to get me there but i am going to do it!

stay strong and let's all have a great tuesday!!!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 06-19-2012 at 06:39 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #755
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Good morning!

The scale wasn't my friend this morning. My total for the challenge so far is 7 - up one from the last report.

Not to worry......

I need to get caught up on posts - you all have so much going on your lives.

TTYL
Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #756

well, i have already determined that I will run it IF

i have to. The plan is to stay outside, till it is time to come upstairs. then it goes on. i will sleep in the living room where the AC is. I just needed to whine a little. Also, it is not a quiet machine. I prefer nature's AC, namely Nov through March. I am going to get a couple bags of ice at Shoprite, this evening (if there are any left). Kbeth, glad u enjoyed camp, and stayed on plan. thanks for the offer Tony, but Ixnay. If necessary, i will call the utility (Con Edison)to spread out the pmts year round. If u do come to NY, I must take you to the Mirage Diner for their 28 oz porterhouse. Not to mention THE BAKERY for one of their miraculous low carb treats. At least my work station is Air-conditioned. Also, when i am outside, i stay on the shady side of the street, at least for a psychological improvement. this is the price I have to pay to retire. Also, I will cut down on dialing for dinners. I can always get food from the cafeteria, which is quite reasonable in price. there is one character flaw in me which is not limited to summer. I AM LAZY. It takes an immense effort to propel me to do the right thing. I have not yet tried the b12sublingual tablets. I am concerned that it might be a waste of money, or taste horrid. I will get around to it. FF
Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #757
Major LCF Poster!

ff, you are just soooo funny!...

well, i had a mini-disaster on the scale today - 220.6...i am not down about it, but i am a bit puzzled...i must be taking in just too many calories or too much salt or both, but i have to figure this out asap and make the appropriate changes...i've lost a measly 2.7 lbs. for the challenge and 5 lbs. for the whole blitz...

BUT i still have 2 weeks to lose 7.3 lbs...OMG!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #758
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
On a plan and it is almost supper time. It helped that I was busy this afternoon. However, in the past while volunteering I would plug quarters in the nut, m&m, skittles, burnt peanut machines and eat handfuls of those things. I didn't today. Maybe the shock of reality hit me. I found a journal from about a year ago this time and I weighed 187 back then. EGAD, 40+ lbs in a year.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #759
Major LCF Poster!

that's 40 lbs. you lost once and can lose again...let this next year be THE year...we have the rest of our lives to live thin, if we get this done now...LET'S DO IT!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #760
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Beth, loved hearing about your camping trip! You sound like such a capable person! Great example for your son. Good going on the 2 pounds to beat!

Vicki, happy you resisted the snack machines. Not easy to do. What do you do when you volunteer?

Tony, you are doing so well on your eating I'm sure it was water retention. Your continuing enthusiasm keeps us going. My brother's camps are on Lake Winnesquam by the way.

Marilee, you are going to make this challenge. 7 pounds down and only 3 to go!!!

Had a delicious lunch and good conversation at my sister's house yesterday. She had marinated chicken strips and beef strips in 3 different marinades and then grilled them. We had a nice salad to go with the meat. Afterwards we toured her garden which is lovely. She worked for years as professional gardener so all around her house and down some terraces are so many neat things to see.

FF, thinking of you as the heat builds this week. Glad you will consider sleeping in by your ac.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!
Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 AM   #761

enough of whining, *****ing and complaining....

time to move on. what will be, will be. i have been so self-absorbed lately. We all have our challenges. Mine is no direr than anyone elses. It is only 3 days till Saturday.I just may come out of it a few lbs less. This Blitz has only 11 days left including today. Let us make some progress. FF
Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #762
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

FF,I hope you get out of yourself

Abi, I volunteer in a gift shop but the machines are in the lobby.

Tony, thanks.

kbeth, I hear you about the clothes. I hate squeezing into clothes that don't fit. What am I doing to myself. Just face it, the clothes need to be a bigger size but at least we can look better.

Marilee, how is it going?

I went to grocery store yesterday and had basically veggies and protein in the cart. So, this morning was the prep work: 1 vinaigrette salad, big bowl of tossed salad, raw veggies cleaned and a spaghetti squash berry pudding made. Whew. I hope I made enough room for my CSA bag tomorrow. Oh, and last night I boiled kohlrabi and mashed it along with some onion, wasn't too bad with salt and pepper and a bit of butter.

Last edited by vli1127; 06-20-2012 at 08:00 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #763
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The hcg is out of my system so I am starting Atkins induction today.

Try as I might, I can't stay on hcg - too restrictive and I'm too hungry this time around.

Seven pounds lost - 3 to go by July 3rd. I hope I can do it.

On the way to work today, I did have a "come to Jesus" meeting with myself. I've been posting on this website of way over a year, closer to two, and I've made no progress. I have to ask myself....why? What is the root issue or issues I'm dealing with that keep me from succeeding? After this length of time, I should be on maintenance or near the end of my weight loss journey.

I'm not being hard on myself, but I need a wake-up call. I don't have forever to achieve my goal. I'd like to enjoy my golden years without my weight being an issue. Wouldn't it be wonderful to not have one of our New Years Resolutions be to lose weight? I can't even imagine - but would like to experience.

Anywhoo - onward and upward!

Marilee
Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #764

gibby, i have been up and down too many times to count.

ultimately, it is because i like to eat. perhaps it is the "forbidden fruit syndrome" which means that whatever plan i am on, someone else is eating something that is not on that plan & I WANT IT!!! Perhaps it is the addictive nature of the worst sort of carbs which never leave me, if not biochemically, then psychologically. Perhaps it is something I am not even aware of. But, I am 61 years old, and too old to beat myself up. I just keep trying. There is good eating on ATKINS Induction to be sure. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #765
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=flatferenghi;15739463]ultimately, it is because i like to eat. perhaps it is the "forbidden fruit syndrome" which means that whatever plan i am on, someone else is eating something that is not on that plan & I WANT IT!!! /[QUOTE]

That is a HUGE part of it....
Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #766
Major LCF Poster!

i hear ya, kids...i've been asking myself the same question lately...when i started blitz I, i was 245 lbs and i got as low as 202 last year and am now hovering in the 220 range - i was almost 226 on 4/1...

i have no doubt that without posting daily here, i would have gained it all back, but i need to find a way to lose these last 35 lbs...it's hard to endure restrictions, but i don't know anyone who has actually succeeded at losing large amounts of weight that did not find the will to restrict themselves considerably...

i am thinking i have to do something more drastic than i have been doing, because although i don't like to beat myself up, i hate being fat even more - i hope!...

let's work hard to lose the 10 lbs. over these next two weeks of the challenge and in the meantime, let's do some soul-searching and brainstorming and see what we can do to really get this show on the road for blitz X!...

today:
b: skipped
l: salad topped with salmon
d: chicken and/or ribs on the grill
Old 06-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #767
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a New Year's Eve or two where weight wasn't an issue. I want it again.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #768

just checking in.

i have not shrunk in size yet. i have been eating less. it just takes a long time is all. i will not be on the scale until labor day or there-about. i stayed outside till ten minutes before Seinfeld. then I stayed upstairs. i went to bed at 9 pm. I woke up just before 2 a.m. There is more Seinfeld at 2 a.m. but the cable was going on and off every other minute. So, after setting a channel surfing record, i went back to bed. i did not need the AC yesterday, but i will not hesitate to put it on tonight. I am so happy to see everyone so motivated. Keep it up. FF
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #769
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

FF, a cool front came through with much needed rain last night. I was able to throw open the windows and turn off AC. Do you typically wait several months to weigh in? At least you aren't a slave to the scale and allowing it to determine your mood.

I am starting my 3rd day of being on track. I am following a particular plan, Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman. I haven't been perfect, but it still has been low carb. For example, the first two weeks dairy and nuts are eliminated and flax oil is the only oil. Well, I had some cheese and salami the first day and yesterday I had raw almonds. Like I said, not perfect, but a far cry from what I was doing. I actually found it easier to walk this morning than on Tuesday. I am not saying that it is because of the woe, but heck, why not LOL?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #770
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My body is responding to the diet change in a not good way (or should I say "weigh"). The scale is up. Hopefully things will settle down in the next couple of days.

Consistency is the key and I have found that I'm not good at that - I jump around too much if I don't see results as fast as I would like. NO MORE!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #771
Major LCF Poster!

Wow...just what I needed to hear (read) this morning. Wish I would have jumped on here last night (before consuming several bowls of cereal. grrr) Yes, it's just cereal...but it was ALOT and my joints were very painful trying to come down the stairs this morning, and I'm congested. Really?? Yes, I think some soul-searching is in order. I'm doing well; what's with the self-sabotage?
A few years back while being in, ahem, therapy...Eating Disorders were something we discussed. I learned alot...but one approach I never used, I am going to start trying. I'll share it with you. Who is someone you admire? A role model? Could be Jesus, an athlete, Bill Gates or even a supermodel or actress. Anybody. As an example, I'll say mine is my friend Jennifer. She is very fit and healthy and treats her body with respect. Before I sit down with that half dozen cookies and a pint of ice cream....I'll ask myself "Would jennifer do this?" No. She wouldn't. She has strength of character and would never treat herself that way.
Anyway...that's it in a nutshell. Maybe it'll work for somebody! lol!

Last edited by kbeth; 06-21-2012 at 08:50 AM..
Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #772
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki...yes. It was ridiculous how much better I felt (and looked!) when I wasn't squishing myself into to clothes that didn't fit. For goodness sakes, why didn't I do that a long time ago!?
And why not say it's your WOE...I know I feel so much better after just a few days. So there, lol.

tony...I know I have harrassed you off and on over the blitz wondering if you were actually eating enough calories. Have you ever tried a handful of meat and veggies 4-5 times a day? Perhaps it would get your metabolism burning again. Don't mean to be bossy...it just seems that looking at your daily menus, I can't figure out where you could cut any more out! (with love and respect, my brotha )
Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #773

IN DEFIANCE OF THE HEAT...

I shall consume the following this evening: a large container of hot and sour soup from the Great Wall Kitchen, INTO WHICH I shall add: several vigorous shakes of pepperoncino (hot pepper flakes), likewise Frank's Hot Sauce(Tabasco is twice as expensive), AND I will finely dice a poblano pepper or 2(one of the hottest peppers known)seeds & ribs too, and add it into the soup. If you all believe that, you are even more gullible than the troll!!. Assuming the AC is working, i have not tried it in 2 years, i will be sitting there, listening to the NY SHRILLharmonic with an ice cold beveridge or three. Perhaps i will be lucky enough to fall asleep while I am esconced there. As for food, i have not a clue. I better get some McD burgers just in case. if i am not hungry, i do not have to eat them. i can take them to work tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #774
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff-I hope you survive the heat! It's actually probably cooler here today at 111-112 degress than in NYC, due to the humidity factor.

Hang in there.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #775
Major LCF Poster!

Our neighbor is raising chickens and we have a big supply of fresh eggs. So today I am eating mainly scrambled eggs. I am not that crazy about eggs so don't know if I will finish out the day with them. We'll see.

FF, glad you will be camping out by the ac, listening to beautiful music and sipping on cold beverages! Smart Ferenghi!

It's 97 outside and 81 inside with the ac on! I bet Tony has stayed in the pool all day!

Beth, I look up to my younger sister Laura. She has always been a healthy whole foods person and has always been lean. I will start saying to myself, would Laura eat this stuff and this amount? Thanks for this new motivator!

Marilee, I am so inconsistant that I can't even get through one day on the same plan.

Vicki, this is going to be the best New Years ever!

Talk to you all later!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #776
Major LCF Poster!

hey guys!...

abi's right, i was in the pool for a good part of the day and got the most exercise i have gotten in a year!...tomorrow i have my appt. with the surgeoon <yikes!> it's just a first visit, so i don't think there will be any scalpels involved <yikes!>...

kbeth, thanks for the idea about the role model - that's good stuff!...and don't ever worry about what you say to me - i appreciate any advice anyone has for me - i'm not thin-skinned at all about anything and you are so sweet to care enough to offer suggestions...

you may be right too!...today, i ate barely 100 calories before dinner and then had all LC choices on a chinese buffet - 2 level plates - no fried stuff or rice...it was good but i am sure there was too much salt...i do think i need to eat more often during the day and make it protein and veggies...my metabolism may be slowing again...eating once a day is how i gained all this weight in the first place...

seems like we all are searching for answers right now...i am confident we are all going to get to goal - we're gonna figure this out!!!

ff, i thought you were joining ww in july and weighing then?...you certainly are a moving target, bro!...

marilee, your body is in transition from one plan to another - don't worry - just stick to the new plan and you will be fine...

vicki, congrats on 3 days!!!...i'm proud of you girl...KEEP IT UP!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #777
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

kbeth, sounds like WWJD? I know about ED, I went through an outpatient treatment program that lasted 6 weeks I think. I went 4 nights a week from 6-10 or something like that. This was right after my 2nd son was born in 87. I was labeled a non-purge bulimic. i am sure there is a different label now. Apparently I didn't learn from it LOL.

ff, I hope the soup doesn't burn coming out the other end.

Tony, good luck at the surgeons.

Abi, I wish we could raise chickens to have a fresh supply of eggs out my back door. I love eggs. In fact, think I will go have a hb one.

Day 3 almost done and on plan, whew.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #778
Major LCF Poster!

Yikes is right Tony. You are one brave person to be heading that way. I know the pain is your driving force and you have stood it longer than most. Hope the appointment goes well and you feel confident in this surgeon.

Vicki, 3 days !!! Good going. What is motivating you? It is amazing when it kicks in isn't it.

Marilee, it is the humidity that really gets to you. I never got used to it all those years in Alabama. I think we have a cool front coming our way with some rain in the next couple of days.

FF, how did last night go? Did you manage to get some sleep?

Real Estate agent has all the paper work he needs to write up a contract. He also has a key to the house so I need to go over and clear out a couple of drawers in kitchen that have important papers in them. I guess my brother will sign the contract on Monday when he gets back from Cleveland. Yesterday it seemed like it was still our house and today it's not. Feeling sentimental.

Have a great Friday Blitzers!
Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #779

i am more resilient than i thought.

when i got upstairs, it was not all that bad. ergo, i put the fan on and aimed it at my face. i went to bed at 9, and woke up at 2. watched another hour of SEINFELD, and went back to sleep. I drank plenty of liquids. Yes, i did say I was going back to WW, and i will when i feel the time is right. One of the 2 reasons I am not weighing is that i do not own a scale (nor do i want to-until i get to ONEderland), the other is that i do not want a reality check at this present time. On the good side, I am feeling measurably better (in a cool environment, that is). Tomorrow, i will be getting out of the house to B&N in Brooklyn where the 5 Guys burgers are. this time, i will not be taking them home, but eating them there. Enjoy the weekend y'all. F-7 months & 24 days to go-F
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #780
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, might be a good thing not to own a scale.

Abi, I know what that feels like to let a house go, memories were made. I don't know what is keeping me motivated right now. Who cares LOL. Maybe because I opened up a box that had some of my thin clothes in it? I remember what it was like to be thin?

I weighed myself this a.m. since I have been on plan for 3 days and starting 4th. Wasn't pleased. I didn't weigh on Tuesday though, so I don't really know what the number was that day. I was 226.3, tired of being in the 220's. I know I will get lower if I continue to stay on plan, but those numbers can ruin me. Maybe I should not get back on the scale until I know I feel thinner due to loose clothes.
Closed Thread