Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #451
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
skirt steak beats wings, bro...like a full house beats 2 pair.

is it a mini-skirt steak? That would excite me even more. Although, I cannot get fixated about cows' knees. Right now, i am enjoying a large coconut-flavored iced coffee from Dunkin. I took it home and spilled only 10% in the transport. I am also watching the BIG SALAD episode on SEINFELD. I lead a charmed life, don't I!!! FF

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hahaha!...you are the king of puns, bro...and yes, you DO lead a charmed life!

i ate way too much skirt steak tonight and there is so much left over - i wish you guys were here so i could share it with you!...also had pan-roasted veggies in evoo - YUM! and a dollop of spanish rice made with whole grain brown rice...

all i ate all day before dinner was an hb egg white, so it was another good day of eating - yes!...
Old 05-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #453
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
I would have loved some of that skirt steak Tony. I have seen it in the store but never tried it. FF, you are so funny. I am picturing a cow with a mini skirt on right now. lol

Tony, I taught 4th grade my one year of teaching and it was many years ago so don't think there is any opportunity there. I can see how your wife was hired. Math and biology teachers are always needed. She sounds like a pretty smart lady!

I cooked a pork roast yesterday and had some of the low carb meatballs. Scale is not budging this week. I may have to go on an all water diet for the next 3 days to get at least a pound down.Had a nice visit with my brother from Georgia yesterday. He has gone up to their camp on Lake Winnesquam for the weekend to get it opened up for the summer and then will come back Mon and Tues to help on the house. We will have a family dinner at Mom's Monday night - take out so nobody messes up the kitchen. lol Will have to bring lawn chairs over as there are not enough chairs now.

Getting ready to do a marathon clean at our house as DH's brother and sister-in-law are coming this morning for a short visit.

Hope we hear from Artemis today. Getting worried that we haven't heard from her all week.

Have a great Saturday all!
Old 05-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, it's saturday and you are up at 4:30!!!!!...lol...you're a nut!...

does your brother spend the summers at his lake house?...is he retired?...a teacher?...

i am officially worried about artemis...she was going through a rough patch, but seemed to be coming out of it, then...not a word...it's not like her...hmmmm...

that skirt steak sat in my stomach all night...i overdid a good thing, i think :-) haven't weighed in a couple of days but i may have to go on that water diet with ya, abi...

party # 1 today...doesn't start til 3, so i am gonna try to avoid food as much as possible til then...would be a good day to flush with water...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 05-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #455
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I am ready for a 100% perfect day of eating, is it possible?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #456
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Tony...skirt steak is my favorite!! Every couple of months our Jewel has a family pack on sale for 2.99/lb. It's usually a big ole honkin' package and I freeze several meals worth. Lately, it's been pretty tough, tho. Can I ask how you prepare yours?
I LOVED the story of the turn your young life took and the way you handled things. I'll bet you can't even imagine how life would have been without them. Besides...would lawyering even be yer nature??
Oh! And something that helps me when I have a rock in my belly from feasting the night before? An apple while I have my coffee and LOTS of water. I'm guessing the acid from the fruit really, um, moves things along?? lol. Have a fun weekend!!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Abi...Nah, I think the initial 6 lbs. was probably water weight and my body willingly let it go. I'd rather start my challenge numbers at the same time as you folks. Thanks, tho!
Wow. Alot has happened in your life since I was here last. I am so glad that you got to spend so much time loving on your mother before she went. What a blessing you and your siblings were to her. Good luck with the house! ...and how exciting this new chapter of your life!

Things are going well here. Just yesterday I felt that lift in energy from cutting out junk. That in itself is a great reward!!

B: chicken and peppers
L: eggs
S: burger and cheese
D: maybe a new LC shrimp dish. I'll report back if it's any good!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

What a sweet post Beth. I am so glad too I got to spend so much time with Mom. We were so blessed to have her for 91 years. She still had a little humor left that last week. My brother always kissed her good by after his daily visit and would always get shocked. So when he kissed her good by earlier in the week he said "I didn't get zapped" and Mom said. "Better luck next time". We will continue to tell that story over the years. You sound just like my daughter . She also says "a big ole honkin" when she describes some things. lol

Tony, my brother from Georgia got to retire from UPS when he was 55. He started out as a driver and ended up at corporate in Atlanta. They live in Marietta but his wife's family lives up here in Brattleboro too and in New Hampshire. He helps build Habitat for Humanity houses in his free time. He has a son who will be a senior this year who is hoping to get a soccer scholarship to college somewhere so lots of games and tournaments take up the rest of his time. They have been spending summers at the lake but it looks like it will be split up this year. Two weeks in June and then home, then maybe 3 weeks in July.

Vicki, a 100% perfect eating day is possible - you go girl!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yes, vicki, it is possible and YOU HAVE done it before and will do it again!...have a great day, kid...

kbeth, thanks for the kind words...there are not too many lawyers out there i like or have much in common with, but my goal was to be an advocate for children, elderly and poor people who are usually at a disadvantage...wouldn't have made much money, but i think it would have been rewarding...and no, i couldn't imagine my life without my five kids... :-)

that sounds like a great deal on the skirt steak...i got mine at the butcher shop and they trim the membrane and most of the fat off it - and then cut the slabs into 8-inch sections...i sprinkle them with garlic powder and montreal steak (low sodium) seasoning and throw them on the grill over high heat for about 4 minutes on each side - turning them once...when they are seared but not overdone, i take them off and this is critical - i cut them in half into 4-inch slabs and then i cut those slabs into 1/2-inch strips AGAINST THE GRAIN, so they are about 1/2 inch wide by 4-inches long...you don't even need a knife to cut them as they are so tender and juicy...so the most important tips are:
1. make sure the membrane is cut off
2. don't overcook
2. cut into strips AGAINST THE GRAIN

let me know how they turn out next time you have them... :-)

i'm happy you can feel the difference in cutting out the junk - it is amazing how much we are what we eat!...i wanna come over and eat what you're eating!

abi, thanks for sharing the story about your brother and mom - how funny and sweet!...when i closed the store i made a large donation to habitat for humanity of materials - great cause...

had a salad for breakfast and a cheeseburger on a plate with hot relish for lunch...dinner will be a cookout at my sil house - i will be a good boy!

Last edited by tony8; 05-19-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #460

lousy sleep patterns....

fell asleep early. woke up at midnight. the boob tube was on and off all night long. finally, i did fall asleep and woke up later than i wished. i did not get further than the incinerator room. i do not expect much of a change for tomorrow. i would like to get out to shoprite in the early a.m. tomorrow (SUN 5/19/12) to replace the seltzer and diet choc soda i totalled today. But will I??? oh, i drank straight water too. FF
Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hi all. I've never had skirt steak and I've never seen it at the grocery store. I've heard it's real good! I went to my butcher shop today and picked up a brisket to roast next Saturday. A friend is coming over for dinner. I found a recipe I'm going to try - you put the brisket in a roasting pan with golden mushroom soup, celery, onions, carrots and potatoes...the usual pot roast stuff. I'll eat everthing but the carrots and potatoes.

The scale went down a pound so I lost the one that I gained during the "ebb and flow". I will hopefully show a loss on Tuesday. Today I had:

B-2 while chicken legs - thighs and drumsticks
L-Ground beef seasoned with chili powder, cayenne and cumin put on lettuce, tomatoes and onions and ranch dressing.
D-NY strip steak with zucchinni and summer squash with butter.

Got some things done around the house today, but my knee was bugging me so I'll do more tomorrow after church.

Where is our Arte?

Yes, Vicki, you can do it.....you know you can.

Abi, I hope you had a nice visit with your brother and sister-in-law.

Kbeth-you sound so positive! It's always nice to hear from you.

ff-I hope you get a better night's sleep tonight. I hate it when my sleep is interrupted.

Have a great evening! I'll catch you all tomorrow.

Marilee
Old 05-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #462
Major LCF Poster!

Well Tony, it isn't 4:30 am today but the animals did wake me up at 4. ugh. I could have slept in today a little too. Yesterday I needed to get an early start with the housecleaning. It was great motivation to get it in good shape for the company and the funny thing was they never went past the kitchen. lol Thanks for the recipe for the skirt steak. By the way, what is hot mustard? So nice of you to donate building supplies to Habitat!

We bought a new grill yesterday so will have ribeyes tonight. Can't wait. I could eat steak for every meal if I had the budget. Yesterday I had some more low carb meat balls and a leftover bratwurst. Scale is still just hovering. I am dreading Tuesday weigh in.

Marilee, briskett is something else I have read about but never tried. I hear people saying they like to get ones that have a thick layer of fat on it and that is why they like it. I would probably love it to as the fat is the best part in my book.

FF, I hate those sleepless nights. At least it was on a Friday night so you didn't have to get up for work in the morning but it sure does deplete the energy for the day. Hope last night was better and you have the energy to get to Shoprite and get stocked up on your drinks.

Vicki, how did the perfect eats day finish up?

Beth, that energy lift after getting off the high carb is terrific. I always forget how good how feel eating low carb if I get derailed.

Have a great Sunday all!

Last edited by Abigale; 05-20-2012 at 02:29 AM..
Old 05-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey guys!...

i ate 1 hot dog, 1 small hamburger and a small piece of boneless chicken (all bunless) at the party yesterday...avoided the potato and pasta salads and desserts...really not even tempted for some reason...

today, i will have to find that willpower again at my cousin's party...it may prove more difficult as my family is more about food than dw's is... :-)

abi, don't dread the scale...we have to each lose an average of 1.25 lbs. per week for the challenge, so even if you don't lose this week, you won't fall too far behind your necessary pace...you can make it up next week or the week after!...

marilee, great menu and that brisket sounds wonderful...let us know how it turns out...

ff, hope you slept better last night and feel up to getting out and about today in this glorious weather!

Last edited by tony8; 05-20-2012 at 05:43 AM..
Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #464

the good news is that I have another shot at

THE ENCHANTED ISLAND, on PBS. This was the best thing the Met has done this season. And I have enough blank VHS tapes to accommodate it. Perhaps I will go out afterwards. FF
Old 05-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Got on the scale and it is down 2 pounds! I hop that holds (or more) for Tuesday morning's weigh in.

Today's eats - unless I change my mind

B-bacon
L-taco salad like yesterday
D-turkey burger wraps
Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

B: steak and broc
L: chicken and carrots
S: turkey lunch meat
D: ??

I'm trying to keep portions small today (ala JUDDD) because I went a bit overboard last night. Started sampling some of my son's dry cereal (yes, DRY CEREAL of all worthless if-you're-gonna-cheat cheats) and started mindlessly grazing. I caught myself before I had a major screw-up. It hasn't happened in a while...and yes, I was overly-tired when it happened. I got my son to bed and I went to sleep directly thereafter.
It felt great to recognize what was happening, tho, instead of just getting mad at myself. Onward and Upward! (or, hopefully DOWNward! )
Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #467

sort of had my cake and ate it too.

got the opera safely on vhs & and caught the 2nd 1/2 of STAR WARS episodes I, II, III. Next week is IV, V & VI. If the Gods &
Fates allow me to live, next weekend is a 4 day weekend. The thyroid meds are a different shape than the ones i just finished. I think they made a mistake, before. I thinK I have been using the 150 mcg since 4/14/12. And, that 5/17/12, I got the 200mcg ones which are the right ones. Time will tell. FF
Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, you are doing so great, girl!...wow, 2 lbs!!!!!...way to score for the team!

ff, which is your favorite star wars movie?...mine might be return of the jedi - i love when darth vader is conflicted and chooses to save his son...the very last episode is great too, as is the empire strikes back...tough choice!

kbeth, great job recognizing what was happening and dealing with it...that reflects an awesome change in behavior - being conscious of what we are doing and not letting it totally derail us is soooo important to our long-term success - kudos, girl! :-)

i had a really good day...at the party/barbecue, i ate ONLY one small sausage and one plain 3 oz. turkey burger - both dipped in mustard and no bread...avoided the starchy salads and 20 different desserts - didn't even taste them!...i'm proud of myself...

was hungry when i got home around 9:30, but i just mixed some fiber stuff in two big glasses of water and downed them and feel better now at 11;40...all i ate other than that all day was an hb egg white for breakfast...

i'm gonna be happy in the morning!...i have felt a bit bloated the past couple of days but i don't know why and haven't weighed...gonna try to finish the week strong tomorrow and hope i can help the team on tuesday...

Last edited by tony8; 05-20-2012 at 08:43 PM..
Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #469
Major LCF Poster!

The rib eye steak was so delicious last night. Had a salad with blue cheese dressing with it. Earlier in day I had some egg salad and we went out for breakfast at the country club. I had the same omlet as before - with onions, cheese, bacon and mushrooms. Yesterday they put a small hot pink flower on the edge of the plate that looked like a small orchid. The waitress said it was edible but I brought it home and floated it in a bowl of water. So pretty!

Doing some last minute sprucing of the house today before real estate agent comes for walk through tomorrow. I have a long list for my two brothers to do today. lol We will all get together tonight for dinner there after my sister gets done work at Dartmouth Hitchcock. I'm pretty sure it will be chinese take out so will try to drink alot of water today to counter act the sodium.

Marilee, that 2 pounds will help us alot tomorrow in weigh in day!

Tony, good going on keeping the eats to a minimum over the weekend with the parties!

FF, hope the thyroid meds will work well for you now that the mg are correct!

Hope you all have a great Monday!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, do you order your chinese food with no msg?...i think that contributes to my retaining fluid when i eat it and i LOVE chinese food so i try to remember to have them omit it...enjoy your dinner - it sounds like such fun and i know your mom would be so happy to see you guys all together!...

artemis' disappearance is worrisome to me - she was posting near daily for many months and then <poof!>...wish we knew how to check in with her to make sure she is okay...

btw, hey jenny, where the heck are ya, sis?...

britt?...

i'm basking in the glow of good feelings today after a great weekend of restraint...i did better than i anticipated and planned for...i still feel a bit bloated this morning and i have not been salting...i'm afraid to climb on the scale as i feel heavier than i did last tuesday and i have no explanation why that should be...

i'm planning to drink a ton today and eat very little and see if i can show a loss for the week...i got more exercise yesterday than i have in ages...my cousins and all our kids had a big wiffle ball game and despite my hip pain, i pitched 25 innings and must have thrown 400 pitches...i can barely move this morning, but it's a good pain and i'm happy that at 53, i was able to do what i did yesterday!

let's really rock this monday and own the scales tomorrow team!

Last edited by tony8; 05-21-2012 at 04:00 AM..
Old 05-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #471

i take all SW episodes as 1 work...like

Lord of the Rings( 3 movies), & Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen (4 operas). I cannot say 1 part is better than the other. Each segment is part of a complete story. Well, I am temporarily back to consciousness. I finally turned off the tv at 1:30am, and slept for 4 hours. I feel well rested....and IT'S MONDAY!!! Will wonders never cease? FF
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #472
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! The scale was up this morning - not sure why...I've been very faithful to plan. Oh, well. It will come off.

Abi, I LOVE ribe-eye steak - sounds yummy.

Tony, Congratulations on the self-control. Social events are difficult and you held fast!

ff-I'm not a sci-fi fan....saw the first SW back in the 70's and that was it. Now, as far as Lord of the Rings - LOVE IT! I real the trilogy in college. I wish they had made a movie of The Hobbit. That was my favorite.

Better get to work....I'll check back in later.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #473
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, keep doing exactly what you are doing and the scale will relent...it is all a trick our bodies try to play on us to keep us from losing the extra pounds they want to hang onto...

i climbed on the scale nervously this morning and it read 218.4, down only .2 lbs. from last tuesday, but i was relieved it was not actually a gain, based on the way i've been feeling...i still have one day to get down a bit more...

followed kbeth's advice and ate 1/2 crisp apple for breakfast...chased it with three big glasses of water - one filled with fiber...gonna try flushing as much as possible today...

in an informal way, i am using artemis' cycling strategy where i eat more calories on alternate days, although my down days are not as low-cal as hers were - i think she was eating something like 500 calories where i am in the 1200 range...

hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #474

actually i have heard rumors that THE HOBBIT

is being made into a movie, and directed by Peter Jackson. However, I would not swear in a court of law that it was a fact just yet. Like everything else, I am postponing serious reading for retirement. Especially, the aforementioned Hobbit & Lord of the Rings, several novels by Dickens, and Paul J. Scott's RAJ QUARTET, presented on PBS as THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN. It is hard to come by these days. B & N does not have it, and some 2nd hand book stores have only parts of it. I will have to check out the University book stores. It deals with the last few years of the British rule in India. I have it on DVD. I really get involved with the characters good and bad. At this juncture, I am skipping lunch again, although i am hungry. but not hungry enough, it seems, to make the trip to the cafeteria. I am making a meatloaf tonight, so that I can alternate with the turkey wings. FF
Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, you never cease to amaze me!...you have such eclectic taste in all things, bro...

had a very early dinner as all i had eaten was the 1/2 apple...had stir-fry with the leftover skirt steak which was delicious...

how is everyone doing?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff-I checked out the Hobbit on the internet and it looks like what you heard is true! They are making a movie out of The Hobbit.

Tony, I'm doing great! I'm so hungry....and I need to stop by the grocery store on the way home for eggs and veggies. I'll make it quick
Old 05-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BlondieBlue
Stats: 208.4/200.8/199
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb
Start Date: 1/3/2012- restarting 1/29/2013
Boo!

I'mmmmm back. Spent the last 10 days in New Orleans. oh the food, the food, the food. : yummy:
Yep, I ate anything and everything while I was there, used the weekend to prepare for my LC return, and yanno- it's easy as heck, because nothing I could cheat with will be nearly as rewarding as all that I indulged in while i was there. So strict meat and eggs for the next few days- and I'm officially in the 10 lbs by June 30th dealio now

I did weigh this morning, and saw a gain. I'm not exactly balloon status, and still far off from beginning of this year, but I'm looking forward to the induction whoosh! Best part about returning is the digestion. I truly feel like there is a boulder in my abdomen when I eat off plan. All bloaty and too full for too long. You can keep that!

B: SF Monster
L: approx 6 oz steak with A1
D: same as above, maybe with some eggs

Check back with everyone tomorrow!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #478

well, i AM eclectic!!!

Tonight after dinner,I will watch the Antiques Road Show while reclining on the ECLECTIC chair. (zzzzapp) FF
Old 05-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #479
Major LCF Poster!

Doing okay here. A bit concerned about tomorrow AM. Thanks to dry cereal and uh, female-type-bloaty situation (that's the best I can do in mixed company) I fear that I will see a higher number on the scale. Again, it's okay...that just means that my body will release some more lbs. the following week!
See y'all in the AM!!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Britt - welcome home! You'll rock out that 10 pounds in no time!

Ok, I give - what's a SF burger?
Closed Thread