Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Hi Everyone,
I'm hanging in there, I have been really busy but staying on track--It's a big committment to eat healthy when you have a ton going on in your life, you have to plan and not slip when you get overtired, but I'm learning how and when I make a mistake, I'm letting it be ONE mistake and getting back on track.

I have a tendency to gain weight in the summer months due to lots of socializing and "having fun" camping, parties, etc. but I swear to God it isn't going to happen this year! I want to end the summer lighter than I began--it will be a first in a long time for me, but I know I can do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #302
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hi jenny, great to see ya, sis...i know how strong you are when you put your mind to something...i'll never forget how effectively you dropped weight in the fall and winter of 2010-2011 before your hawaii trip...wow, it was AMAZING!...

why don't you join our ten pound challenge?...we could use another great teammate! :-)

well, just got back from the concert - it was awesome!...i haven't eaten since about 5 p.m. so i am hungry right now but it's past curfew and there's no way i am breaking it...time to work for the team!...thanks for giving me a great reason to be a good boy... :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #303
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
ff, I love the 3 ingredient recipe that is cream cheese, rotel tomatoes and the pound of sausage, yummy.

Tony, WTG on not eating past curfew.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Tony, you will do anything to beat me to the first post of the day , even if it means you have to force yourself to go to a concert. lol Good for not breaking your eating curfew! Your beef stew sounds wonderful!

Jenny, I agree with Tony. Please join us in the 10 pound challenge! You have 2 whole months to do it and if you lose more than that the extra pounds go in the pot to help anyone who didn't quite make it. Then Tony is going to give us a prize!

Vickie, you know I love cute animal pictures. Your new profile picture is adorable. Good going on the loss! Only having to lose a pound a week takes the pressure off. It is very doable.

Marilee, rib eyes are my favorite! I love fatty meat. I am convinced after reading some of Steffanson's writings like Not By Bread Alone and all about his time in Alaska and year under study at Bellview that fat is what gives us energy.

Speaking of fatty meat, I cooked a pork roast yesterday and made sure I found one with a thick coating of fat on it. I cook it with the fat side up so it self bastes itself. I could live on crispy pork fat but they never leave on enough for me. Everyone is low fat these days and don't want to pay for a layer of fat on their meat. sigh

Beth, thanks for the nice comments on Hayden and Boo Boo the dog. It's one of my favorite pictures of them. I am anxious to find out how your coated fried fish came out. I was frying chicken strips coated with pork rinds for awhile and really liked them. I mixed mayo and franks wing sauce together as a dip. When I tried it with fish the coating didn't stay on. Probably should have dipped the fish in egg first. I haven't been able to find coconut flour around here. Maybe I should check out our co-op in town.

FF, that is so true that anything can be duplicated the low carb way. I just put my name in the hat to get a free test sample of bread made with no wheat. Dr. Davis Wheat Belly blog has a lottery going on. 60 people who e-mail them will get a test loaf that a company may come out with. I think it will be made with almond flour. Hope they draw my name!

Yesterday went ok. I am trying not to eat until I am hungry also, FF. I had a hard boiled egg around 9 am. Of course I had been up since 3:15am. Then by 4pm I was starving. Some pork rinds and then pork roast at 5. I was sawing logs by 6:30. I have a very strange schedule. lol

Wishing you all a great Thursday!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi abi, i see you "slept in" this morning...must be nice!...i meant to comment on how cute your grandson is - you can tell he is a good kid...

when i used to wait til i was hungry to eat, i would wait until late afternoon and then eat everything in the house that wasn't nailed down...lately, i have been waiting until mid-late-morning and drinking lot of water and then splitting my menu into smaller, healthy snacky meals every few hours...that way i never get to "starving", which for me, leads to trouble!...

i am soooooo happy that i am finding the will to behave at night...ff, you helped me by joining my curfew - knowing you are out there doing the same thing makes it easier somehow... :-)

tonight there is a buffet at this teacher appreciation dinner...i'm gonna eat small, low-cal meals today (salad?) to save up my cals for tonight...since i will be with folks i don't know, i will make one trip to the buffet and not take much food, so this will be a good day!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #306
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i am hearing a great deal of progress.

especially in attitudes. I have been reading what u all have been eating in the past 24 hours or so. I was not moved. U know why? I am not hungry. I do not, nor cannot think about food this morning. Is it the Metformin? Is it ketosis? Whatever it is, it is nothing short of a miracle. FF
Old 05-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
I need you guys to scrape me off the floor this morning. 12 hrs at work yesterday with a 15 minute break and today is not looking much better. Just trying my best to stay hydrated! You all sound like you are doing great! My guess is Tony, that we may double your challenge
Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

omg, artemis - that's a rough couple of days girl!...btw, i'll be so happy if we exceed our goal, but i'll settle for hitting it!... i'll try to hug you off the floor - scraping sounds painful!

ff, congrats on your miracle...just ride it for as long as it lasts...i think we are on a big-time roll here!

it is so funny that i was really hungry at midnight last night and here i am 10 hours later, having not eaten a morsel since, and i am not the least bit hungry...gonna force down an hb egg white and a lot of water just to get my digestion going...

hope everyone is having a geat day - GO TEAM!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oops, it is exercise day before i eat anything!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, a couple of pieces of good news for the team:
1) i just finished my every-other-day workout and it was easier than it has been for awhile, and 2) one reason it was easier is that i weighed in at 221.2 this morning, so i am down 2 lbs. so far in 2 days!...i think that is still 1 lb. heavier than i was a few weeks ago, but i'm in a much better place now and i've lost 4.4 lbs. since the start of the blitz...

also just had my hb egg white and a couple of glasses of water and i'm stuffed...lol...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #311

some people would say that i am neither fish, nor fowl.

That is true. I am hard to pin down. So, I had a filet of salmon and some jerk chicken drum sticks with string beans.That will even things up & will hold me till 7-8 pm. It is McD night, for which I am saving my low carb bagel. Artemis, frankly i do not know how you do it. On Ferenghinar, we work our prisoners 16 hours a day (by earth reckoning our days are about 28 hours long.) but we do allow serious sack and feeding time between 8 hour shifts. They are more productive that way. Insofar as we are both stuck on earth, try to find time to recreate yourself. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

strange day!...early afternoon, i got hungry and made myself a nice salad with evoo and acv and a sprinkle of feta cheese - no meat or fish...delicious...but now i am having some pretty serious cravings...not for sweets, but for something salty...

succeeding at this really is about breaking old patterns of behavior, so i am trying to be very cognizant of triggers and my past reaction to them...in the past, if i was doing as well as i have been doing, showing a weight loss etc. and i experienced the severity of craving i am having right now, i would justify going into the kitchen and having some tortilla chips...no guilt - i earned it...that's what i would tell myself...

well, i found myself making that same argument inside my head a few minutes ago, but this time rather than going into the kitchen, i thought about how i made a different choice last week when i had cravings like this and instead of giving in, i fought them for 90 minutes and they passed...

so that is the choice i am trying to make now - the choice I WILL MAKE!...i know this craving will pass if i just don't give into it!...and i won't - not this time...in 3-4 hours i will be having dinner - i am trying to simply focus on that, just like i focused on falling asleep last week when i faced this...another better choice than the tortilla chips would be to eat something on-plan, but looking at this logically, i had enough for lunch and SHOULD NOT BE HUNGRY...so i don't believe i am really hungry and don't want to allow a false hunger trigger to make me eat calories i don't need or really want...not allowing my brain to tell me i'm hungry when i shouldn't be is a HUGE challenge but can be key in getting the result i ultimately want!

i hope sharing this helps some of you - it is certainly helping me...i think it is important to study what we do and how it leads to our success or our failure...it's not easy facing our weaknesses but i know if i hope to break this yo-yo pattern, i have to face mine...

one thing that is helping me most is that i don't feel i am fighting only for myself, i feel like i am fighting this craving for all of us - for the team! :-)

love you guys and i will keep y'all posted!

Last edited by tony8; 05-03-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #313

i have my food waiting for me. i am not touching it

until the 7:30pm episode of Seinfeld. I am finally going to sample the coconut milk ( 1 T=1 gr)I shall see if I can be content with a tsp. I just want a whisper of coconut flavor, and not drown in the tropics. I would like to taste the coffee too. I (knock on Latinum)am feeling very laid back. Well, tomorrow is Friday. Sat is the last Metopera radio broadcast of the season. Ergo my Saturdays are freed up through the end of November. whew!!! FF
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, guys, i made it...didn't give in to the cravings at home, and waited until dinner to eat one good-sized plate at the buffet with all on-plan food - the mashed potatoes looked yummy but i didn't even take a dollop...

had one gin and tonic at 5;30 and the rest of the night was water...just got home and it's after curfew and thankfully, i am not hungry...

i had a couple of rough hours today, but the craving did pass and i know i will be happy in the morning when i realized i turned the page on a good day...

how is everyone else doing???
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Ah, Bummer! Had a big, fat post that is not here!
Oh well. The gist of it is that I had similar moment, tony, when I recognized my old pattern emerging and I nipped er in the bud! I mess up when I am tired. It is as if I have no control what I'm shoveling in my pie hole. For the longest time, I've been telling myself: If you're tired, GO TO BED. But gorging on junk ALWAYS wins out. Until now.
I was extremely fatigued, started rummaging around in the snack basket...I realized what I was doing, stopped, and went to bed!! That seriously never happens. And it worked! Woo-hoo!!
Excellent work tony on the buffet. Way to face down the enemy!!

See y'all tomorrow!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, kbeth, i am soooooo proud of you!...it is really inspiring to hear your story - thanks for sharing it...

this can be so hard - i am just so grateful i have you guys to share this journey with - if i hadn't had the option of posting here this afternoon, i know i would have given in to the craving...

and each time i don't give in, it makes it easier not to give in the next time...i'm becoming more confident that i can fend off making bad choices...

see y'all in the morning!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Beth, I feel your pain losing the long post. I had that happen several times but when Tony started to charge me a nickle every time I lost a post I started to write them in another place and copying and pasting them on our site. lol I am so proud you went to bed instead of snacking!

FF, what a miracle not to feel hungry whatever the reason! .

Tony, you triumphed over your cravings again and losing the weight as your reward. I too feel like I am doing it for the gang and it definitely is helping me stay on track! Thanks for the comments on Hayden. He is a nice kid - knock on wood! Have a great time treating your fil on his 80th birthday. It will be such fun to have your family together and to go out to eat and the ball game.

Artemis, I know the weekend can't get here quick enough for you. Those Mazda 3 s are a nice sporty looking car and I bet the shade of blue is beautiful - good fuel economy too for those trips back to Arkansas! Hope you feel better today and have a shorter work day.

Had a very grueling day yesterday carrying whatever I could lift from the basement to the shed. Up and down the stairs, I can't tell you how many times. FF, I think I have worn out the knee and hip joints in one day!

Had more pork roast, some pork rinds and a salad yesterday. Hanging in there for the challenge!

Have a great Friday all!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #318

Tony & Kbeth...I am so happy for you and proud of you!!!

many are the times i caved, & many w/o even struggling. I too, am getting the hang of it. But i am not getting cocky. those impulses are like "Monsters from the Id" which brought low the mighty Krell too.They can surface w/o warning. 24/7 vigilance is called for.Last night, I waited till 7:30pm for my McD-Angus-a-thon. It was well worth the wait. I forget my bagel du jour today, so i declared a bagel free day. I do not want to get too used to it. As a matter of fact, tomorrow will be bagel free too. Sunday, I am going to Wendys for a triple cheese baconator,(or 5 Guys Burgers, as they are across the street from B & N), and taking my Karbkruncher with me. I tore up the anniversary card i had got for (earth)bro and his wife. wen i looked it over, it was in bad taste, even for me, and my lack of sensitivity. I am sending a better one. It is a perpetual Anniversary card. You just move the wheel to indicate which year they are celebrating. this year it is their 26th. I will not have to buy another card until their 76th!!! FF
Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #319
Blabbermouth!!!

ff-I don't think coconut milk tastes all that bad and not too tropically, if there is such a word. LOL you kill me with the perpetual anniv. card.

Tony, congrats on exercising, KUTGW

I am still imbibing in carby stuff and haven't weighed for a couple of days now. However, this is my first day of summer vacation and time to start down a new WOE path. Back to lower carb stuff. I am not denying myself of fruit either. Some whole grains may be thrown in now and then. For some reason meat is becoming a turn off due to the treatment of and antibiotic use etc. I do get my chicken and beef from a local farm that treats the animals well and they are grass fed etc. I also get my eggs from them too.

Anyways, off to do nothing

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, this is gonna be another great day for the team - i can feel it!...personally, i'm hoping for an easier one than yesterday :-)

woke up again not even hungry, but we all know how quickly that can turn into trouble...i am so proud of all of us for fighting through the difficulty...i have never been so sure that we will make it - but i agree with ff - we know too much to ever be cocky!...

i think it will be the usual:
b: hb egg white
l: salad - maybe i'll throw some tuna in there
d: i have no idea - i've been craving pizza toppings but that may be a bit dangerous for me right now, especially not knowing how this weekend away will turn out, so i am looking for a better dinner choice!

vicki, happy you are on summer vacation - and that you have a plan for your woe...the team is standing with you, girl!

ff, that triple baconator is a beast - i had a double by mistake one day and could hardly finish it!...but it is sooooo delicious!...

abi abi abi...you better take care of your legs - take it from mr. hobble himself :-) btw, yesterday's menu sounded excellent...

be back soon!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #321

had a wonderful lunch....

i took a double portion of baked tilapia (totalling 12 oz)& 1/2 cup stringbeans. that was the rught amount. I am satisfied w/o being stuffed. I also took a small container of tuna/egg salad, in case it WAS NOT enough. Now i can save it for Monday's bagel. My workday is mercifully shrinking. Perhaps i can go a-walking this weekend. Once i get my mojo going, I think the lbs will fly off. FF
Old 05-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #322
Blabbermouth!!!

ff, I have a visual of those pounds flying through the air.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, sounds like you are making real progress - you really have been satisfied with less lately!...

well, i skipped breakfast and lunch and just had a snack of a spoonful of cottage cheese and a handful of olives...no crazy cravings today - thank goodness!...

weighed in at 221 even, so i am down .2 from yesterday... :-)
Old 05-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I will join your challenge everyone. But, I have a wierd thing about stating my actual weight so can I just say how much I lost each week. I keep track of my weight in a journal so I know what I was on May 1st...

This will be a challenging weekend for me but I will stay on track.

K-beth--I have the same problem when I'm tired I want to eat. I don't know why that is...being aware of it is the first step in changing it though

I will really try to post more often--that in itself keeps me accountable.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Was up to 1:00 am last night working on a review in collaboration with my previous boss. And then, I had to practice some surgical procedures my lab will be doing on Monday all afternoon so I am beat with a big stick! After July work should slow down a little bit because our grants are due.

Sure jfinchster, you can just post your losses. A lot of us here do that including me. With me, even though I have lost a lot of weight in my day, I still have issues with numbers and seeing it on the scale. I find it healthier for me to focus on sizes and how my clothes fit and how they make me feel rather than concentrating on the absolute number (though I do weigh every day).
Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OF COURSE, jenny...just post what you lose each week...hmm, i'm gonna have to pay attention to whether i get hungry when i am tired now that you and kbeth both experience that...with my curfew, i may have trained myself not to expect food later at night :-)

artemis, i hope you get to relax this weekend and enjoy some down time...have you tried arnold's yet?...it may only be open weekdays - not sure...

i'm trying to keep track of how many folks are in the challenge...i'm not sure about britt, but i think the rest of us are in (with ff in informally :-)

abi
artemis
marilee
vicki
kbeth
jenny
me
(ff)

so, if we succeed, we will lose 70-80 lbs. between us!!!...is that gonna be AMAZING!?

i was a good boy tonight and skipped the pizza toppings and instead baked some fresh haddock with seasoning and then had peas and carrots on the side...steamed clams dipped in butter as an appetizer - YUM!

hope everyone has a good friday night!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #327

i am very claustrophobic, Tony

I feel terrible being squeezed in between those parentheses. I will make it official. I am IN. Now LET ME OUT!!! FF
Old 05-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

FF, will you have to remind your brother and wife to move the wheel next year to the next year? lol Hope you get to do some walking this weekend. The temperature was fairly mild when I took Bama out at 3:30 but it was sort of misting out.

Beth and Jenny, I get extra hungry when I am tired too. I always think subconsiously that the extra food will give me some energy. A short nap would probably do me more good.

Vicki, "off to do nothing" sounds wonderful! Hope you enjoy your summer vacation!

Tony, I am feeling good about this challenge. Just something about us all doing it together is keeping me motivated. It is exciting to think we could lose a total of 80 pounds together! I think you were wise on avoiding the pizza toppings. When I eat stuff like that my mind tells me I am cheating because it tastes so good even though I am not and then it sets me up to keep eating like that. I do better with kind of bland foods when I am serious about losing on a steady basis.

Marilee, how are you doing? Everything nice a quiet and peaceful at your house now?

Working on finishing the linen jacket to go with the slacks today and figure out what I am taking to Missouri Thursday. Daughter says we have lots of sporting events to go to this weekend. Oldest grandaughter is having her track district meet and the other 3 have something going on. It will be a whirl wind weekend. She also said we would be selling popsicles for a fundraiser at one of the events. Not going to be exactly a vacation. lol But it will keep me out of the kitchen and no boredom eating!

Had more pork roast yesterday and some pork rinds.

Have a wonderful Saturday all!

Last edited by Abigale; 05-05-2012 at 02:27 AM..
Old 05-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, as marilee would say, "woo-hoo!"...i knew you couldn't stay in those parentheses long!...haha!...you are our leader, after all!

abi, sounds like it will be fun trip - it's cool how we both will be traveling in that direction this week...i agree about the pizza toppings and i am in such a good place right now, i don't even want to indulge in a high-cal fest out of fear it will start ticking my weight up...

i fought through another craving period last night at around 9:30, and i am realizing that although the strength of the cravings are just as strong as they were that first night, they are getting easier to ignore and their duration is decreasing...i am really learning something about cravings this week that i never knew before - i think it is a monumental change and i feel like i am developing a new way of reacting to them which is becoming a new habit...

dr. phil always says that you don't break bad habits, you just replace them with new, better habits and i believe that is what is happening...

i will not be around until tomorrow night when we get back from ct - leaving the puter at home...try to BEHAVE kids!...and of course have a great weekend!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

got on the scale this morning and weighed in at 220.2, down a pound from yesterday, and down 3 for the challenge and 5.4 for the blitz...very positive reinforcement for skipping the pizza toppings and going for the haddock :-)

have a great day, kids!
Closed Thread