Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   Protein (eggs/meat) and fat fast anyone? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/754735-protein-eggs-meat-fat-fast-anyone.html)

translationmx 01-23-2012 11:26 AM

Protein (eggs/meat) and fat fast anyone?

I'm definitely in need to get out of the 160s!!! I've been eating "sensibly" and low carb, but the scale isn't budging. I've lost inches all right, but I want to see the scale moving in the right direction too.

My wedding anniversary is in about a month, and I'm looking to lose about 10 pounds.

Anyone with me? Let's get egg-tastic! :jumpjoy:

Auntie Em 01-23-2012 12:51 PM

I eat VLC to VVLC most of the time, so I'll post here for mutual encouragement, good company, and support. :)

Translationmx, I wish you much joy with those meat-and-egg dishes.

One of my favorites is braised beef bacon and eggs with chives and white pepper.

Brunch today: Beef bacon and liver, braised with chives. :) And homemade yoghurt.

Might cook some burgers this evening.

Hope you are having a splendid day. :)

translationmx 01-23-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 15354228)
I eat VLC to VVLC most of the time, so I'll post here for mutual encouragement, good company, and support. :)

Translationmx, I wish you much joy with those meat-and-egg dishes.

One of my favorites is braised beef bacon and eggs with chives and white pepper.

Brunch today: Beef bacon and liver, braised with chives. :) And homemade yoghurt.

Might cook some burgers this evening.

Hope you are having a splendid day. :)

Hi Auntie Em!!

Thanx for your kind words. I defo need all the encouragement and motivation I can find. Life has gotten in the way quite a bit, and I need to lose these 20 something pounds. I started eating too many LC goodies for comfort and here I am again.

Your meal ideas sound sooo yummy! I miss that time when all I craved was steak with a fried egg :yummy: I already stocked up with lots of organic free range eggs

Thank you for stopping by, seriously :hugs:

Auntie Em 01-23-2012 01:55 PM

Translationmx, that steak and a fried egg sound super!

I'll check in here whenever I get to the internet.

I wish you much success! :)

Here's to us being sleek and healthy, one bite at a time. :)

translationmx 01-23-2012 02:22 PM

Strong, sleek and healthy!! that's where we're going!!!

I'll be posting my food for accountability. If you see something that I could improve please let me know, I'm all ears :)

geobuilder 01-23-2012 05:21 PM

Starting fast today, to get back on track.

translationmx 01-23-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geobuilder (Post 15355069)
Starting fast today, to get back on track.

Awesome, welcome! This WOE always has given me great results every time :up:

Auntie Em 01-24-2012 10:19 AM

Hi, TrMx and GeoBuilder. :)

Hope your are doing very well today. :)

Today's food for me:

Tea w/ beef drippings and hh (half and half)
Early: Swiss cheese
Brunch: Beef burger
Lunch: Beef bone marrow and a bit of fat, Swiss cheese, Decaf coffee w/ hh
Supper: Probably another burger, but might be hb eggs or beef sausage and sauerkraut

Food prep so far this week: pile of hb eggs, pile of beef burgers with chives, bone broth.

Things I'm working on for this challenge: eating a bit less cheese, getting out in the sun more, including going for more walks, and adding more ways to enjoy every day. :)

Best wishes to all for enjoying good choices today. :)

translationmx 01-24-2012 04:16 PM

Hi Auntie Em!!

Cutting back on cheese is hard for me too. I can find really tasty all natural, all milk cheese in a store in town, so that's even more tempting. I could eat the entire bar by myself.

I've only had 3 fried eggs today. Your menu sounds yummo. Do you make your own broth?

I just finished my workout for today, and I'll have some more eggs. I'll be logging my food tomorrow.

I need to get out with the dogs more often. I workout at home, and hardly ever take walks outside. I'd love to do it more frequently, but the last time I went out with my dog there were other dogs outside - not strays, but dogs with collars. People around here are quite irresponsible with their pets.

I hope you had an amazing day :)

translationmx 01-25-2012 10:25 AM

I had a good day yesterday. I started the week at 165#, let's see how it goes. I'm hoping to see a nice loss by Sunday.

I had:

1/24
• Coffee
• 3 fried eggs with hot sauce and American cheese
• 1 egg cream (3 eggs/hwc/strawberry banana jell-o)
• Chocolate bark (organic evco/cocoa/hwc)

I started my day with another egg cream today. Love those! They keep me full for a long while.

Have an awesome day everybody!!!

Auntie Em 01-25-2012 02:01 PM

Hi, TranslMx. :) Thanks for your kind thoughts. Yes, I do make my own broths. I like knowing what is in my food, and being thrifty.

Is there a leash law where you live? There is in my neighborhood, and also a county ordinance, for both dogs and cats. I take a very strong flashlight when I walk before sunrise, and have sometimes used it to shine at dogs, who need to be startled to stay away.

The jello in the egg cream sounds good. I think I'll put some Knox gelatin in mine. Your eggs w/ cheese and hot sauce is a scrumptious thing. I used to enjoy hot sauce. I stopped eating nightshades, so no more hot sauces for me. I use more white pepper now.

Today's food:

Tea w/ beef drippings, hwc/hh, Swiss cheese, yoghurt
Beef burger, yoghurt cheese, Swiss cheese
Perhaps HB eggs or a burger, and probably yoghurt.
Hot water w/ hwc/hh.

I do Callanetics each day and yoga/stretches, but need to get back to walking and rebounding each day, too. I'm not so good about exercising outside in the winter.

Am good about taking my supplements these days.

Best wishes to all for a lovely, victorious day. :)

translationmx 01-26-2012 09:54 AM

Homemade broth!!! Gosh, how I miss my grandma! She makes the most amazing soups and broths. She's still good friends with the neighborhood butcher, and he always has the yummiest bones ever.

About the leash law - there's one, but since I live in a rural area hardly anybody pays attention :sigh: it's a drag. I have two rotties, and I'm the most responsible pet owner. It pains me to see those dogs out there... what if they get lost, or worse yet, hurt...

Those egg creams with some jell-o for flavor are gooooood! I dissolve the jell-o in a little bit of hot water and voila. I think it's better to have an egg cream with a dash of jell-o than those commercial protein powder products full of ingredients that I can't pronounce

Re: callanetics - LOVE LOVE LOVE the technique!! I recently bought the original Callan's book. It's full of super retro pictures, and the form tips are priceless. I'm an absolute fan of all things barre, so Callan's technique is a huge reference for me. She was one of the lucky ones and she studied in New York with Lotte Berk - the original barre diva herself.

I seriously dislike cold weather. I feel blue and unwilling to do much. Luckily in sunny Puerto Rico the coldest times are at 60-ish degrees, so it's not that bad.

Yesterday I had:
• Coffee
• 4 egg omelet with natural American cheese and hot sauce

Have a wonderful and meat/eggtastic day!!!

Auntie Em 01-27-2012 10:28 AM

TranslationMX, hi. :) How nice that you have such great dogs. :)

I agree with you about the cold weather. I'm taking oodles of Vit. D this winter and am finding that it really helps.

Puerto Rico, how nice. :) You are in a sunny place. I'll have to look up the weather there.

I refer to Callan's original book, too. The modifications are good, and the photos of Callan are amazing. What flexibilty and strength! How much Callanetics do you do? Serious exertion, or more maintenance??? I do them each day. They keep away creakiness, stiffness and pain. :)

Yesterday for me:

Tea w/ beef drippings and hh/hwc
Beef bacon and liver, yoghurt
Beef burger and yoghurt, decaf coffee w/ beef drippings and hh/hwc
Hot water w/ beef drippings and hh/hwc

Today:
Tea w/ beef drippings and hh/hwc
Beef burger and yoghurt
Cheese burger, pickles, tea
Supper: ???

Best wishes to all for happy VLCing and success. :)

translationmx 01-28-2012 12:50 PM

Awww my dogs!! The furbabies. They're awesome. They love playing catch and that's something that we do often.

I truly hope you can escape from the flu. My SIL is pregnant and she had a bout with the flu a few weeks ago and it was nasty. Her daughter got it at the daycare center, so at home everybody got sick. It's no fun at all...

I did do Callanetics consistently about two years ago. Right now I'm doing Ballet Body by Leah Sarago. She puts together this really cool fusion of yoga, pilates, ballet and Lotte Berk/Callanetics. I'm seeing positive changes already. I went back to it full force about two weeks ago, even though I purchased the downloads around August. I'm fully back to it though, and after experimenting here and there with other forms of exercise I've come to terms with the fact that this will be my main form of strength training. I'm getting stronger and I don't feel ravenous, like when I do heavy weight training or kettlebell workouts.

For the past two days I've had:

1/26
• Coffee
• Seared churrasco steak with onions and parsley

1/27
• Coffee
• Handful of toasted almonds
• Tuna melt salad (1/2 can tuna/mayo/hot sauce/American cheese)
• Bite of grilled salmon
• Bite of churrasco steak
• 5 Reese's sf peanut butter cups -- not the best choice, I know, but DH came back from Walgreens with a bag and I couldn't resist temptation :o

I'll step on the scale tomorrow... let's see how it goes. I've been good with my workouts and I've watched my diet, so I'm hoping for something good.

Also, I'm going to start using ACV with water two or three times a day. Have you tried it?

Have a lovely weekend! :up:

Auntie Em 01-29-2012 06:48 AM

TranslationMX, thanks for your kind thoughts. My food plan and supplements do keep many ailments away, or make colds and flu milder, for example. For me, that includes keeping carbs very low.

Can you describe how Ballet Body differs from Callanetics? I combine Callanetics with restorative yoga and yoga for seniors, which is a good combination for me. I'll look for a sample video at youtube to see if there is an excerpt from a video.

I increased the amount of Vitamin D I take and find it helps, surprisingly, with not having an appetite between meals.

Yesterday:

Tea w/ beef drippings, hh/hwc
B: HB eggs, Swiss cheese, yoghurt
L: Cheeseburger w/ beef bacon
S: Cheese burger, hot water w/ hh/hwc

All the best to you! :)

Auntie Em 01-29-2012 08:25 AM

TM, I've just realized I didn't answer your ACV question. I use ACV vinegar when making bone broth, and to rinse my hair. I use white vinegar for making pickles. That's it! :)

translationmx 01-29-2012 01:23 PM

Hi Auntie Em! I know that we all low carbers will be able to duck and save ourselves from many health problems. For example, my allergies went away pretty much completely as soon as I zapped gluten and processed stuff from my diet. In less than a month I was feeling like never before, and I've heard many peeps having the same experience, so it's an absolute plus.

I'll be doing the ACV "tonic", as I'm going over the super long thread that was started a while back. The taste doesn't bother me, and I have to say that yesterday I felt less hungry than the day before, so let's see how it helps me...

About Ballet Body - There are upper body segments that are very challenging. I would say that that's the biggest difference, that the upper body gets an amazing workout with BB. That's the only part that is a bit neglected in Callanetics, in my opinion. Ballet Body has pretzel segments too, but she goes at it for 20 minutes!! It's challenging and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Yesterday I had:

1/28
• Coffee with HWC
• Yerba mate tea
• 2 x (2 TBSP ACV + 8 oz water)

In happy weight related news, I woke up at 159.8 pounds!!! yaaaay!!!! This week I lost 5.2 pounds and I broke the 160s. I haven't found the discipline to break the darn 160s, and I stayed stuck there since October - no more!! I'll keep doing this WOE. I don't know why I strayed, deep down I know this is the best for me

Auntie Em 01-30-2012 10:57 AM

TM, congratulations on getting into the 150s! :)

Thanks for the Ballet Body descriptions. I have added extra upper body and arm exercises to my Callanetics routines over the years.

Unfortunately, my diet has not yet eliminated my allergies. I am taking lots of Vit. D this winter, and am hoping that will help. I take local bee pollen in the winter, but can only handle a teensy bit, as more than a tiny bit gives me allergy symptoms. The symptoms improved due to eliminating grains, legumes, nightshades, FODMAPs, and avoiding "artificial anything", but the VLC Ancestral food plan did not eliminate them. I still have to take antihistamines and decongestants, aspirin, etc., during pollen season.

The allergies and arthritis keep me doing Callanetics and yoga, and keep my food plan clean. :)

Today's food:

Tea w/ beef fat, hh/hwc
B: Swiss cheese
L: Beef bacon and wild salmon in chives and white pepper, custard
S: Probably beef bacon and beef liver, and yoghurt.
Bedtime: Hot water w/ hh/hwc

Best wishes to you for a happy day and continued success! :hugs:

translationmx 01-30-2012 11:27 AM

Thank you for your kind words, Auntie Em! I allowed for things to get in the way of me being on track for months and months, and the results aren't nice, but now I'm doing something about it.

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. For me eliminating most processed goods worked wonders. Migraines gone, allergies tampered big time, joint pain gone (even my wonky knee isn't giving me grief!!)... I guess it's a matter of time, have you been following your current WOE for long? I started seeing the greatest improvement after a year or so.

I've never had beef bacon! Sounds very tasty. Just say bacon and I'm there :yummy:

Yesterday I had:

• Coffee
• 2 x (2 TBSP ACV + 8 oz water)
• Pork rinds + lobster dip
• Bowl of seasoned ground beef with hot salsa

On to another fantastic week!!! Have a wonderful day! :high5:

Auntie Em 01-30-2012 11:49 AM

Hi, TM. :) I really like the beef bacon. If you see some at a reasonable price, and it looks nice, you might like it . :)

Bit of food plan history:

I eliminated refined flours, sugars/sweets, and packaged foods in 2000. That got rid of weight I had gained the previous couple of years. That helped the allergies a bit, which had appeared after moving to a new climate. I still ate whole grains at that time.

In about 2007, don't remember exactly, I stopped eating wheat and spelt. That helped the allergies a bit more. I was still eating corn, oats, rye, rice, quinoa, etc., either cooked whole or whole ground. I tried to eat only organic, non-GMO....

In July 2010, due to reading Dr. Kurt Harris' blog, Archevore, I eliminated the rest of the grains, and eliminated legumes, and sweet fruits, (that left berries and lemons.) In the fall, due to reading Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, The Diabetes Solution, I stopped eating sweet fruits I stopped eating fruit altogether.

In January 2011, I stopped eating nuts and seeds, or their oils. Some time last year, I also stopped eating all nightshades, and went low FODMAP. I've read that the half life of PUFAs in the body is two years. Am hoping that I notice improvement in overall health next year. :)

I do best when I eat very cleanly and don't slip in artificial sweeteners here and there, or eat cold cuts. The last few months, I've been experimenting with which plant matter I eat, trying pumpkin, parsnips, and a bit of grapefruit. Pollen season will be the test.

I sometimes eliminate all dairy during pollen season, and that helps, too.

I think the allergies could be hereditary, aggravated by having been a vegetarian for ca. 35 years. The VLC Ancestral diet helps. I continually notice improvements.

It's wonderfully sunny today, which is grand. :) Hope you are having a splendid day!

marylouise 01-30-2012 12:09 PM

Hi translationmx and Auntie Em,

I have read ya'lls postings. I have found it very interesting.

I have not lost anything since the first week in January. As a matter of fact I think I have gained a few. I bought a sugar free cake and gobbled it up with complete abandonment! I am beating myself on the head for doing such a horrible thing! I know I can not eat white flour! I know I have been staying away from transfat. This old woman read it in the store and still I brought it home and cooked it. I feel it around my waist. :mad:
Anyway, I wanted to stop and say hello. You both are an inspiration to me. :hugs:

The WOE ya'll are doing is kind of the way I lost 100 pounds last year. So many ppl would post telling me I was making a huge mistake. I think not! I can not eat carbs without insulin. I think I improved my health 10 fold eating this way. :clap:

marylouise 01-30-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 15374108)
Hi, TM. :) I really like the beef bacon. If you see some at a reasonable price, and it looks nice, you might like it . :)

Bit of food plan history:

I eliminated refined flours, sugars/sweets, and packaged foods in 2000. That got rid of weight I had gained the previous couple of years. That helped the allergies a bit, which had appeared after moving to a new climate. I still ate whole grains at that time.

In about 2007, don't remember exactly, I stopped eating wheat and spelt. That helped the allergies a bit more. I was still eating corn, oats, rye, rice, quinoa, etc., either cooked whole or whole ground. I tried to eat only organic, non-GMO....

In July 2010, due to reading Dr. Kurt Harris' blog, Archevore, I eliminated the rest of the grains, and eliminated legumes, and sweet fruits, (that left berries and lemons.) In the fall, due to reading Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, The Diabetes Solution, I stopped eating sweet fruits I stopped eating fruit altogether.

In January 2011, I stopped eating nuts and seeds, or their oils. Some time last year, I also stopped eating all nightshades, and went low FODMAP. I've read that the half life of PUFAs in the body is two years. Am hoping that I notice improvement in overall health next year. :)

I do best when I eat very cleanly and don't slip in artificial sweeteners here and there, or eat cold cuts. The last few months, I've been experimenting with which plant matter I eat, trying pumpkin, parsnips, and a bit of grapefruit. Pollen season will be the test.

I sometimes eliminate all dairy during pollen season, and that helps, too.

I think the allergies could be hereditary, aggravated by having been a vegetarian for ca. 35 years. The VLC Ancestral diet helps. I continually notice improvements.

It's wonderfully sunny today, which is grand. :) Hope you are having a splendid day!

Auntie Em what is nightshades??

Auntie Em 01-30-2012 12:15 PM

Marylouise, thanks for your kind post. I am one of those who needs to stay "on the wagon". If I slide into eating things which I know cause problems, the problems do appear, either gaining weight or feeling worse.

You are welcome to join in, anytime. :)

Auntie Em 01-30-2012 12:21 PM

The common nightshades are white potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, paprika, chili peppers, sweet peppers, tomatillos, and tobacco. My allergy symptoms and joint pain lessened markedly after eliminating those from my food plan.

:)

marylouise 01-30-2012 12:26 PM

Cheating

I have went almost a year and never cheated myself on my WOE. After Christmas my husband wanted me to make him another banana pudding. He asked me to do that at least 5 times! He could not get enough of it. I tasted it to see why he loved it so much! BIG mistake. I tasted another huge bite when I made the last one. My sweet husband does try to help me, but he does not understand why I can't just not eat it. WOW I reply, why do you eat it then???
The sugar free cake was a huge cheat. The only one that suffers is my own self. I am not gona ever do that again!:cry:

marylouise 01-30-2012 12:32 PM

Oh to the nightshades. I clicked on the word this time. I don't have to worry as I can't eat potatoes and such.

I don't think I could stay on my long road to recover my health without LCF.

translationmx 01-31-2012 12:12 PM

Hi everybody!!!
Auntie Em – I’m in awe of your discipline and all the research you’ve done over time. I have a friend that is into vegetarianism and she’s trying to “evangelize” me every time. I told her there are many people that have seen terrible changes in their well-being after following that WOE and she just doesn’t get it. She’s eating “the best way possible” and I’m an “irresponsible carnivore” (you don’t need all that protein, fat is evil… you get the picture) :doh:

:welcome: Marylouise! Thanx for stopping by!! Thank you also for your kind words. First of all, congratulations on your huge weight loss and the improvements in your health. I feel way better when I follow this WOE strictly. Don’t hear the naysayers, this work and works wonders for your well-being :up:

Yesterday I had:

• Coffee
• 4 x (2 TBSP ACV + 8 oz water)
• Bowl of seasoned ground beef with hot salsa w/one dollop of sour cream
• Bowl of seasoned ground beef with hot salsa w/one handful of raw coleslaw

I’ll be doing today’s workout in a bit. I really like my current rotation :jumpjoy: TOM is right around the corner, so I'm feeling a bit bloated :dunno:

Have an amazing and egg-tastic day everybody!!!

marylouise 01-31-2012 01:40 PM

Translationmx

Quote:

Originally Posted by translationmx (Post 15377290)
Hi everybody!!!
Auntie Em – I’m in awe of your discipline and all the research you’ve done over time. I have a friend that is into vegetarianism and she’s trying to “evangelize” me every time. I told her there are many people that have seen terrible changes in their well-being after following that WOE and she just doesn’t get it. She’s eating “the best way possible” and I’m an “irresponsible carnivore” (you don’t need all that protein, fat is evil… you get the picture) :doh:

:welcome: Marylouise! Thanx for stopping by!! Thank you also for your kind words. First of all, congratulations on your huge weight loss and the improvements in your health. I feel way better when I follow this WOE strictly. Don’t hear the naysayers, this work and works wonders for your well-being :up:

Yesterday I had:

• Coffee
• 4 x (2 TBSP ACV + 8 oz water)
• Bowl of seasoned ground beef with hot salsa w/one dollop of sour cream
• Bowl of seasoned ground beef with hot salsa w/one handful of raw coleslaw

I’ll be doing today’s workout in a bit. I really like my current rotation :jumpjoy: TOM is right around the corner, so I'm feeling a bit bloated :dunno:

Have an amazing and egg-tastic day everybody!!!

Thank you. It is wonderful to met you too. I am really happy and thankful I ran into you and Aunt EM..Or she found me, I can't recall. No matter, I found ya'll and I'm a happy camper. Ya'll are a wealth of info.
You do apple cider vinegar! Oh me! I can't believe my good fortune!:D

I have Bragg with the mother still in it..
How much do you consume a day?;)

Auntie Em I see you drink it too! I have put it in bones to boil. I had forgotten all the good things ACV is good for!

translationmx 02-01-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marylouise (Post 15377559)
Thank you. It is wonderful to met you too. I am really happy and thankful I ran into you and Aunt EM..Or she found me, I can't recall. No matter, I found ya'll and I'm a happy camper. Ya'll are a wealth of info.
You do apple cider vinegar! Oh me! I can't believe my good fortune!:D

I have Bragg with the mother still in it..
How much do you consume a day?;)

Auntie Em I see you drink it too! I have put it in bones to boil. I had forgotten all the good things ACV is good for!

Hey there marylouise! I think I developed a reaction to ACV. I took 3 or four servings (2 tbsp Braggs ACV in 8 oz water with some Truvia) for three days, and by yesterday afternoon I got a bad case of hives :eek: I stopped taking ACV as soon as I saw the hives, and today I haven't had any issues. ACV was the only new variable in my diet. I think I'll try a serving tomorrow to see how it goes. I must be one of the weird ones, but I really like the taste of my ACV drink :rofl:

Yesterday I had:

• Coffee
• 2 egg omelet with American cheese
• 1 egg cream (3 eggs/hwc/raspberry jell-o)
• 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter
• Bowl of baked pizza toppings

I'm feeling pretty bloated - TOM is about to make its arrival so I feel a bit under the weather. It was way worse when I ate whatever I felt like it, but it's no fun either way :doh:

marylouise 02-01-2012 02:46 PM

ACV & EGG WHITES

Quote:

Originally Posted by translationmx (Post 15380627)
Hey there marylouise! I think I developed a reaction to ACV. I took 3 or four servings (2 tbsp Braggs ACV in 8 oz water with some Truvia) for three days, and by yesterday afternoon I got a bad case of hives :eek: I stopped taking ACV as soon as I saw the hives, and today I haven't had any issues. ACV was the only new variable in my diet. I think I'll try a serving tomorrow to see how it goes. I must be one of the weird ones, but I really like the taste of my ACV drink :rofl:

Yesterday I had:

• Coffee
• 2 egg omelet with American cheese
• 1 egg cream (3 eggs/hwc/raspberry jell-o)
• 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter
• Bowl of baked pizza toppings

I'm feeling pretty bloated - TOM is about to make its arrival so I feel a bit under the weather. It was way worse when I ate whatever I felt like it, but it's no fun either way :doh:

Hi transmx, Gosh that's not good. Did you Google it? Do you eat or have you ate pickles, olives, or such food without a reaction before? I'm thinking you have been exposed to vinegar before. Strange it would cause you a problem now. It's just a thought. I hope you don't have a reaction again.

I have seen several folks say they are consuming egg cream. What is egg cream? I am also wondering why I have seen some folks say they are not eating egg white. I'm wondering about that too.

Auntie Em, I have noticed you do not eat egg white. May I ask why?

I know I need to do some heavy reading. :doh: