Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capricapers
Stats: goal 150
WOE: Ketogenic 85 F/12 P/3 C
Start Date: 1/7/2013
This looks like a lively group, everyone!
capricapers is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #212
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricapers View Post
This looks like a lively group, everyone!

Hello capricapers~~ We try. Got to keep losing fun or go nuttie
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
Hello capricapers~~ We try. Got to keep losing fun or go nuttie

I heard that! I have so much to learn and to lose of course. Haha. But why not have a bit of a laugh along the way too?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #214
Blabbermouth!!!

I think everyone has gone to bed or are off looking around.
I am fixin to have 2 go to bed. This is a wonderful place. It does npt get any better than LCFs and all the fun you are going to have losing on this web site. You will be able to make your dream come true!!!
the 100 I have lost so far does indeed see like a dream. I woke up 100 lbs. lighter. It took almost a yeaar, but it sure didn't feel like it.

I was on another low carb site and I stop losing. Came to this place and well you can see how much I have changed. I feel younger and stronger. And oh it is fun. Tons of F<U>N> :-)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Boy, I'll say you look different!! Like day and night. Congratulations on that amazing journey!! I've been thin - medium (like that a WHOLE lot more) and I've been fluffier too (by say 15 lbs or so) and not only does being lighter make your body easier to work with - it just puts your head in a whole better place.

With a bum knee (arthritis) and the summer humidity fast approaching - I want out of this fluffy suit
Old 02-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: randtbrown
Stats: Current:211/189/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart December 27, 2011
No- no neck bones before. I've not even seen them in the store?????? We have 1/4 of a cow, a deer and an elk in the freezer. I'm banned from buying more meat until we eat enough room in the freezer!

Busy day today- I'm the acting class mom and have duties this morning. Working out with my trainer at noon. Work after that. Swimming lessons after school. Busy busy.

Plan for food:

Coffee w/ HWC x 2
B: Leftover meatloaf
S: Coconut butter/venison stick
L: burger no bun???
Coffee w/ HWC
D: Something with leftover meat- maybe like a strogonoff? I'm not sure yet.

Happy low carbing!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Tarrah - congratulations on not having a piece of cake!! That's some willpower. Luckily DH eats what I eat and he has admitted that high carb eating doesn't agree much with him.

I woke up with a headache again. I wonder what's happening to me....

In happy bathroom-related news, I'm "going"!! I guess the raw cabbage I've been eating it's doing the trick. I'm also drinking plenty of water.

I'm thinking I'm the only person that didn't do well with ACV. I went through about half of a large bottle, and the thing got me bloated. I kept on gaining weight little by little, and my wedding ring was getting definitely tighter. So I guess it's back to using it as a condiment in my salads. I'm kinda bummed about that though. I've read so many good things about drinking it with water that I really wanted to reap the benefits

Yesterday I had:

• Coffee
• 1 coffee w/hwc and vanilla extract
• Chicken salad (chicken/mayo/curry powder/walnuts/minced celery)
• Turkey un-wich (3 slices turkey/butter/hot salsa/minced raw cabbage)
• Sweet omelet (2 eggs/pumpkin spice/truvia/cream cheese)
• 1 tbsp of coconut butter
• 3 slices of turkey with spicy mayo
• Macadamia nuts

Welcome capricapers!!

My ancestors didn’t claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat Twinkies - Mark Sisson
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post
Tarrah - congratulations on not having a piece of cake!! That's some willpower. Luckily DH eats what I eat and he has admitted that high carb eating doesn't agree much with him.

In happy bathroom-related news, I'm "going"!! I guess the raw cabbage I've been eating it's doing the trick. I'm also drinking plenty of water.

I'm thinking I'm the only person that didn't do well with ACV. I went through about half of a large bottle, and the thing got me bloated. I kept on gaining weight little by little, and my wedding ring was getting definitely tighter. So I guess it's back to using it as a condiment in my salads. I'm kinda bummed about that though. I've read so many good things about drinking it with water that I really wanted to reap the benefits

Yesterday I had:

• Coffee
• Macadamia nuts

Welcome capricapers!!
I wonder if the ACV makes you retain water? I have had that happen..... and sure sounds like it with the rings.

Glad you are "going". I went too. The things we are willing to share on the internet.......

Don't you LOVE coconut butter? What brand do you have? I found coconut mana ut nutria. It's SO GOOD. I warmed it up and put a tbs in the bottom of a mini muffin tin to let it re-set. Popped them out and I have a perfectly portioned treat. It's like fudge. And a cookie. And it's like SOOOO yummy. And filling. I can't say enough good things about that.

Your sweet omelet sounds interesting. Are you the one who eats the egg creams? I've been wanting to try one but I'm scared of the taste of raw egg.
randtbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Back to 199.8 today! If I'm going to bounce up and down at least I'm bouncing up and down between lower numbers, right????!!!!
randtbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: red_teapot
WOE: Atkins 72, zc
Quote:
Originally Posted by randtbrown View Post
Back to 199.8 today! If I'm going to bounce up and down at least I'm bouncing up and down between lower numbers, right????!!!!
Yay, Tarrah! Way to go! What a good reward you got for not eating cake! It's all downhill (scalewise) from here. You've done great.
red_teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Yesterday I had:

• Coffee
• Macadamia nuts

I was using ACV quite a lot when I tried the H-hcg diet. I noticed that when I used too much (more than 2 tbsp), it did have the exact opposite effect and I would retain water. That said, could your diet have too many processed foods? If your turkey is from a package and processed with sodium, could that be the culprit? I have a terrible reaction to salt of any sort. Pork rinds are my low carb nemesis. Bacon also. I love ham--particularly cured Virginian ham--but I can't eat it. I even notice that I have a problem with poultry from Walmart sometimes because of the extra salt. There's also the macademia nuts? I have heard and it doesn't work for me, but it does for others, that if we are going to eat much sodium in the form of processed meats or even the macs, we should take potassium to counter act the sodium.

It could be that you're turkey is one you cooked, in which case, disregard everything I say! I do have trouble with poultry though and retaining water. For instance, my husband is cooking up some chicken wings and not even adding seasoning, but I know they'll affect me.

How much ACV do you use?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

!
Sorry about your headache. Is it another migraine? Could that be the reason that you're retaining water? Could the ACV set off migraines? Our bodies are such finely tuned machines and there are so many variables to search. I hope you feel better. As I said once before, I have never had a migraine, so I know nothing about them. Does otc pain reliever help?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Hi translationmx lol.

"I wonder if the ACV makes you retain water?" Are you using one with 'The Mother'? as in Bragg's as one example?

I tried coconut oil for the first time yesterday and all I can say is where has this been all my life? It's like the Mounds candy without and sweetness or chocolate and good for hair and skin? The perfect thing to have in the home or travel. I bought a gallon via The Vitamin Shoppe for $24 and change + free shipping. Netrition here wanted $60 something for the same Nutiva brand? Go through a rebate site like Bigcrumbs for 5.6% back on top of it. It may be under ebates too or some other.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Tarrah~ Yea B/S blood sugar.

OH I am so sorry you have that problem. It's good you know what it is and how to treat it. I too had severe panic attacks. Had me on valium then zanax. I hated it. I cut hair once at a FlyingJ truck stop. A truck driver showed his tail one day. I had to get my stun-gun out. A few sparks from that thing he took off with you know what between his legs! I got so scared and then MAD!
I stopped the meds that day. I was more than ready 4 the next one to try to scare me!

WOW your DH did very very good!!! Sounds like he loves you very much!

I made a meatloaf with S/F ketchup a few times. It's so good. I didn't put a lot in it and it did not stall me.

Oh, Mary Louise! That's hilarious about your truck driver and your stun gun. What a hoot! Somehow I can't imagine you scared, but I can see you mad. It's much better (I think, anyway) to get mad and direct the anger out rather than in. When I look at my relatives that lived the longest (and I am proud to say I have a 97 yr old aunt) , it was the ones who could get angry.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricapers View Post
Hi translationmx lol.

"I wonder if the ACV makes you retain water?" Are you using one with 'The Mother'? as in Bragg's as one example?

I tried coconut oil for the first time yesterday and all I can say is where has this been all my life? It's like the Mounds candy without and sweetness or chocolate and good for hair and skin? The perfect thing to have in the home or travel. I bought a gallon via The Vitamin Shoppe for $24 and change + free shipping. Netrition here wanted $60 something for the same Nutiva brand? Go through a rebate site like Bigcrumbs for 5.6% back on top of it. It may be under ebates too or some other.
Welcome to the forum, Capricapers. I look forward to seeing you lose all the weight you want with meat/eggs. Have you done it before? Sorry if I missed an earlier post...

I used ACV with the "mother" and found that if I used too much, I did retain.

And I agree with you about coconut oil. I love it! I shouldn't even mention this, but I tried it once in my warm water with a little pure (no sugar added) cocoa powder. So very good. For all that, I still can't drink it in coffee--just water or tea. I like my coffee pure. I do try to have about 3 to 4 tbsp a day.

Thanks for the tip on buying it.

And good luck.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randtbrown View Post
No- no neck bones before. I've not even seen them in the store?????? We have 1/4 of a cow, a deer and an elk in the freezer. I'm banned from buying more meat until we eat enough room in the freezer!

I wish I had your freezer.....what does elk taste like? I know, chicken?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I cooked neck bones for supper. He ate his fill and had a bisquit with cheese and onion and dill pickle. Sure makes me wonder....too
I've got to say that neck bones is something I've never seen or tasted! My mother used to savor the chicken neck bones for herself when I was growing up, but no one else wanted them, so she'd always stew them as if they were a special delicacy. But pork neck bones--it sounds so exotic! I bet you're getting lots of the good things (collagen?, other things to build bones) with that!

I've been trying to find bones in order to make bone broth, but no such luck. Occasionally I see ox-tail bone at our grocery store--anyone have experience with that?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I know y'all think I have nothing to do except check this forum. Not true! I have a young daughter (10) that I teach at home. She's been busy (I hope) writing so now I must go do what we do at school. Sorry to take up so much time.

Oh, and today marks my "DAY ONE" doing Atkins '72 MEAT and EGGS. That deserved all caps. I've gained 3 lbs since Sunday and I've been eating just meat and eggs, but I also added wine and a little sour cream in which to dip my pork rinds. Yesterday, we celebrated Valentine's, but it was just meat. I probably have to really watch quantities. So , day 1, and no pork rinds, no dairy, smaller amounts of meat.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
RedTeapot, I found I could gain weight eating VVLC, too.

I dropped the cheese, and limit the hwc and hh. I'm keeping PRO grams about 50-55 these days.

Today for me:

Tea w/ dabs of butter, beef fat and hh
B: 2 hb eggs and 3 T. hwc/hh yoghurt
Decaf coffee w/ light cream (out)
L: 1 sl. beef bacon and 2 eggs. Bit of yoghurt
S: Perhaps salmon and egg yolks, in beef fat, w/ chives and white pepper
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #230
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JCrowe1
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 2/9/12
I'm a newbie! Ya'll look to be having fun

Hey everybody, i'm Jen and i'm an atkins newbie

I've been on induction for 1 week now. I haven't dropped any LBs yet but my ketone strips say i'm in Ketosis..which is motivating. I think the problem may be the couple of atkins bars ive incorporated this past week. This week- no bars and no artificial sweeteners. We shall see! I do feel amazing though, and the midsection fees thinner, the scale just doesn't say so.

Anyways, you guys look super active, supportive and fun so i'd love to get in on this!

Todays menu:
B:LInda's killer casserole and coffee w/hwc
L:tuna/egg casserole with mayo
D: dont know yet, maybe lamb kabob, maybe salmon.. not sure

I"m thinking about taking it down to just meat and fat for a couple days to see if that initiates any scale changes...
Happy Hump Day
JCrowe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
JC1, Welcome!
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome red_teapot I thought it was too good a price not to share.

"And I agree with you about coconut oil. I love it! I shouldn't even mention this, but I tried it once in my warm water with a little pure (no sugar added) cocoa powder. So very good. For all that, I still can't drink it in coffee--just water or tea. I like my coffee pure. I do try to have about 3 to 4 tbsp a day.

Thanks for the tip on buying it.
And good luck."

I have never done just meat and eggs - but I have done Atkins in 1982 or 83 and lost 30 in 30 days. I was VERY careful with EVERYTHING and it worked - this time not so careful and it is coming off OK. Some days are stalls - on Monday after the State Fair, a wine tasting at a company we have bought from for years (importers) and dinner at Spaghetti Warehouse with my Hub's college chum and wife. Then Sunday dinner of rice/chili and cheese. I saw a 1.5 gain. That has come off and 1.5 more with it - so I'm good today.

Hi JCrowe1 - I just joined this thread too.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #233
Blabbermouth!!!

WOOSH~~~~ 4 GONE FINALLY!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!

HI everybody~

Life is GRAND!!!!!

Finally a big weight loss. It's about time!
That banana pudding taste is finally gone, I hope. I know my cravings are gone. Even with the box of candy{ atkin peanut butter cups} a big loss.

I was starting to wonder If I would ever lose another ounce, again.

Bet it was the neck bones.

Neck bones must be a very low south thing. I have been eating them all my life. I boil them till tender, dump the water and enjoy the heck out of them. Cooking another pot of them tonight. All I add is salt to the water. I guess being a neck bone they have all there flavor all ready in them.
Constance I never thought about the collagen in them. They are so good its not easy to decribe the flavor. And they are loaded with fat. The nice creamy fat. Oh it is So So GOOD!

Jen It's so good to see you! Jen hold on tight cause you are on a very strong road here!

UP~UP~UP~TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #234
Blabbermouth!!!

I must go cook. We slept late and bacon and eggs are calling me.

I have been eating a LOT of meat since I went and got our month supply. I found a good store that caters to ppl that like fat on their meat.
I have backed off so many eggs. I thought nothing about it until me and the scales did a dance and that big woosh was looking back at me.

I will be back

Oh one more thought.

ITS GREAT SEEING NEW FACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrowe1 View Post
Hey everybody, i'm Jen and i'm an atkins newbie

I've been on induction for 1 week now. I haven't dropped any LBs yet but my ketone strips say i'm in Ketosis..which is motivating. I think the problem may be the couple of atkins bars ive incorporated this past week. This week- no bars and no artificial sweeteners. We shall see! I do feel amazing though, and the midsection fees thinner, the scale just doesn't say so.

Anyways, you guys look super active, supportive and fun so i'd love to get in on this!

Todays menu:
B:LInda's killer casserole and coffee w/hwc
L:tuna/egg casserole with mayo
D: dont know yet, maybe lamb kabob, maybe salmon.. not sure

I"m thinking about taking it down to just meat and fat for a couple days to see if that initiates any scale changes...
Happy Hump Day
Welcome Jen--So happy to have you post here and watch you lose. I bet you'll do it fast as you've already done so well getting in ketosis and eating good food.

A real Atkins newbie! Incredible! Part of the problem for me is that I've done Atkins so long that I forget actually how I lost so much in the beginning. Seeing you drop like crazy will be great motivation.

Keep up the good work! Your menu looks like a winner!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
HI everybody~

Life is GRAND!!!!!

Finally a big weight loss. It's about time!
That banana pudding taste is finally gone, I hope. I know my cravings are gone. Even with the box of candy{ atkin peanut butter cups} a big loss.

I was starting to wonder If I would ever lose another ounce, again.

Bet it was the neck bones.

Wow! Mary Louise, way to go. You lost 4 lbs! You fought the demon cravings, and you won. Please give us your daily menu! You almost make the neck bone soup sound good! Post your menus!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
RedTeapot, I found I could gain weight eating VVLC, too.

I dropped the cheese, and limit the hwc and hh. I'm keeping PRO grams about 50-55 these days.

Today for me:

Tea w/ dabs of butter, beef fat and hh
B: 2 hb eggs and 3 T. hwc/hh yoghurt
Decaf coffee w/ light cream (out)
L: 1 sl. beef bacon and 2 eggs. Bit of yoghurt
S: Perhaps salmon and egg yolks, in beef fat, w/ chives and white pepper
Auntie Em, When you have time, I'd love for to describe how you eat. It has been so difficult for me because I do gain on zc or vvlc unless I
really watch the amount of food I eat. I find that adding extra fat helps--up to a point. I do have to limit any dairy. Now I'm trying 4 tsp a day of cream. I also keep my protein between 50-55. I do try to keep 80/20. But is seems like so little. I know I'm whining, but I want to be able to eat lots of bacon, lots of hamburger and not gain. Sometimes I think I just want to eat and not worry about the weight gain if I stay ketogenic. However, I find that I go out of ketosis if I eat too much protein. If I splurge one day with too much sodium (pork rinds), then I know I'll gain. Of course, we don't know what the rinds are cooked in--maybe it's an omega6 oil Still it seems wrong that my body responds so. My husband who also eats low carb (vlc) can eat anything and not gain. He does work out quite a bit.

Are you trying to lose? If you already lost, how long did it take you? Sorry for so many questions, but it's nice to find someone like me!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #238
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_teapot View Post
Wow! Mary Louise, way to go. You lost 4 lbs! You fought the demon cravings, and you won. Please give us your daily menu! You almost make the neck bone soup sound good! Post your menus!

Contance~~~ Thank you!

It's not neck bone soup. I drain the water off when the get tender. I am sorry you can't find them where you live. There is a difference in WOE for North and South.

It reminds me of the show" My Cousin Vinney". Hominy Grits. have ya'll seen it?

Post my menus. Okdokie.

Meat
More meat
More more meat
Eggs
Cheese, with red wax on it. I do eat other kinds, but mostly the hook with red wax.
Coconut oil
Heavy Cream
Every blue moon I eat a pickle or about 7 green olives
Atkin bars

I am going to get something to show ya'll.
BRB
Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #239
Blabbermouth!!!

LCF'S ROCK!!

THIS IS HOW I LOST 100 POUNDS SINCE MARCH 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ON THIS DIET YOU MUST TAKE A MULTIPLE VITAMIN AND MINERAL CAPSULE!

FOODS:

Meat (except liver and liver sausage)
Fish (except wine sauce herring)
Seafood (except oysters)
Poultry (nothing to be breaded or floured,
No BBQ sauce or catsup)
Eggs (fixed any way)
Natural Cheese (with wax around)
(No cottage cheese, processed or yogurt)
Butter
Fat
Salt/Pepper and other seasonings/read very carefully, look 4 hidden sugar.
Artificial Sweetners
Mustard & Horseradish
Mayonnaise * I am going to make my own.
Sour Cream Dressing *
Low Calorie Dressing * w/no sugar
Mushrooms (1T)
Beef or Chicken boullion broth
(No other soups)

*These items contain 2 cal. Of sugar per Tablespoon – DO NOT use excessively
** If desired as often as listed

Fried Pork Rinds (can be used as breading)
Sugar Free Gum (NO sugar free candy or other dietetic foods)
Cool Whip topping *
D-Zerta Jello and D-Zerta topping
Plain Knox Gelatin and sugar free kool-aid (mix together to make jello)
1C of lettuce (twice a day) **
NO OTHER VEGETABLES
NO FRUIT

BEVERAGES

Water (1/2 your weight in oz.)
Sugar Free Soda
Sugar Free Kool-Aid
Black Coffee and tea
Hard Liquor: (NO wine except dry vermouth, NO apricot brandy, drambouye, Southern Comfort, Liquorers)
NO regular beer
Lite Beer OK – Micholob Lite or Miller Lite

This is my handbook/with the 72' book

I have this on my 72 thread, and my 100 pounds loss thread, I don't go there anymore. A woman told me this was not Atkins list. Well I am not interested in doing research on this list. I KNOW my [dad's doctor] told him what to eat in the 60s and I got the info from him on how to eat. Dr. Robert Atkins's LC sheet was in all the mags. in the late 60s. He himself said he got his info from another doctor. So it does not matter to me WHO thought it up first.

What matters is it WORKS
Old 02-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #240
Blabbermouth!!!

If you have time check out the LCFs ROCK thread......