Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: randtbrown
Stats: Current:211/189/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart December 27, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
I'm sorry you have to take them meds. I bet it will slow your weight loss down.

You have aniexty? I did too. It took years to figure out it was my B/S that was causing it. Both my son's have same problem. We 3 were told by 3 different doctors that we were having PBCs. Scarie sometimes 4 all three of us....
I was told allergy meds would make me gain. I MUST take 3 Anthistamines 2x a day.
Does B/S mean your blood sugar? I use to think my blood sugar was the cause of my anxiety, and a host of other things. It turned out it was my heart. I have a condition called Sinus Tachycardia. The sinus node of my heart doesn't control properly- my resting heatrate is 160ish without meds. It's 90 with the meds and my cardiologist is happy with that. I've been able to start working out again and he thinks I'll be fine to climb this summer. My asthma is currently 100% under control- thankfully I'm feeling really good these days.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What's the MAG drink?

Today my plan:

Coffee with HWC x 2
1 burger patty w/ 1 slice cheese, a little mayo
Venison dried sausage stick
I don't have a plan for lunch yet.
Special meal for hubby- a low carb stuffed meatloaf (ground burger, some seasonings, a little green bell pepper and onion (I may omit those), stuffed with provolone cheese and procutto ham. I'm also making him a cake but I won't eat it.

Not really hungry today- so we will see how it goes.

My sweet DH made me a "kiss" box for v-day. He covered a little cardboard box with red tissue paper and decorated it. Filled the inside up with hershy kiss WRAPPERS and a note inside says I can trade a kiss wrapper for a real kiss anytime I want. It smells like chocolate- but there is no chocolate to be found! It was really thoughful, I thought. He also got me a new computer screen for my office- I'm more of a practical kind of gal anyway!
randtbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post
Extra kudos to your DH marylouise!! How sweet of him

Constance – I agree with the less residue thing with carnivore diets. It makes sense. I experience something a bit similar with the rottie DH and I recently got. She was having cheap dog food before getting here, and she had huge BM compared with our other dog. Now that she’s eating proper food with no fillers, corn or grains the volume of her BMs is significantly smaller. I just got a bit angsty because I didn’t “go” in three (probably four) days and I was feeling totally off. I’ve been under considerable stress lately, so I’m guessing that’s also part of the issue.

I guess I should list the amounts of tuna salad I’m eating! I mixed three cans of tuna with mayo, and all the other ingredients, and I ate it through the day. I’m feeling about the same size, and the scale has been playing tricks on me (probably because of my constipation thingy too). I’m trying to eat as clean as I can.

Sorry to hear about the scale bumping up Tarrah – I’m right there too. I guess I’m going to step on the scale once a week (a feat right there for me). We girls and our darn hormones… I put on a ton of weight whenever TOM is near.

I also have this theory that I need to keep my eye on how much I’m eating. If we eat too little weight loss stalls too. So many variables!! It’s interesting to experiment and see what works and what doesn’t – makes it fun I guess
I wish I liked tuna more......... but it's like eggs for me. It's a forced thing.

It's so frustrating about the scale. Every day I say I am going to not weigh for a week. Every morning I step back on the scale. I can't even blame it on TOM anymore as I had a hysterectomy last year and don't have one anymore. Hopefully we will get under 200 soon and STAY THERE!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by randtbrown View Post
My sweet DH made me a "kiss" box for v-day. He covered a little cardboard box with red tissue paper and decorated it. Filled the inside up with hershy kiss WRAPPERS and a note inside says I can trade a kiss wrapper for a real kiss anytime I want. It smells like chocolate- but there is no chocolate to be found! It was really thoughful, I thought. He also got me a new computer screen for my office- I'm more of a practical kind of gal anyway!
^^ this... so insanely !!!!!
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: red_teapot
WOE: Atkins 72, zc
Quote:

I also have this theory that I need to keep my eye on how much I’m eating. If we eat too little weight loss stalls too. So many variables!! It’s interesting to experiment and see what works and what doesn’t – makes it fun I guess
I wish I knew how to multi-quote, because I'd also add Mary L's question about
"Do you guys think this is true? The more you eat the faster you lose~~~ I think I read it in Ad. As 72 book. Its packed so I can't check it to see if its true."

I wish I knew an easy answer to this question, but Atkins does say in "72 that we should eat to appetite. He says something like when we eat a lot of fat, we will stabilize our blood sugar levels (p. 133 of my book) and we'll be able to excrete ketone (using our excess fat for energy). When I take MCT oil or coconut oil, I do get in ketosis quicker and seem to eventually be in deeper and be less hungry. I guess the question for me becomes how much fat. On another forum I once was on, some of the members were just eating meat and gaining. Some were trying 80/20 and gaining. It all seemed so confusing. I don't believe Atkins intended us to so carefully count our calories, fat grams, and so forth. Well, at least, we couldn't have back in 1972 and we can today. I think we should just relax and eat food with the added fat. However, I do find that when I cut calories and fat, I lose. Fast. But so what, I also gain it back fast because I'm starving. Here I'm talking about the dry chicken breast and egg white type diet.

When I add fat and keep my ratios at 80/20, I also generally lose and almost just as fast, especially if I keep my cals. under 1500 or so. Some people think excess protein converts to glucose and that does seem to be the case for me. I gain if I eat too much protein, whether dry chicken breast or rib eye steak. But I have a severely damaged metabolism. I also think that some fats are better than others. I have better results from coconut oil than butter. I love just plain fried up bits of fat, but I tend to gain when I eat this. I do sometimes ask my butcher to say me some of the beef fat that is cut off. But I don't lose with it.

It's probably best for me (and it is so individual) to eat eggs, meat and sometimes add coconut oil either to suppress my appetite or to balance out my day if my fat grams aren't high enough. I also try to monitor my protein. Yesterday and today I ate a lot of protein for a woman in her late 50s, and I'll register a gain. The good thing is it will come off easy tomorrow.

So, Translation Mix, I guess all this to say, I agree with you completely. Too little stalls, too much stalls--we're just experimenting to find that sweet spot!
red_teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
^^ this... so insanely !!!!!
Totally agree, TM--the sweetest thing I've heard. You've got a real keeper, Tarrah!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_teapot View Post
Totally agree, TM--the sweetest thing I've heard. You've got a real keeper, Tarrah!
He has his moments.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's so confusing isn't it? Eat this, don't eat that, eat a little of this, eat a lot of that. Makes me want to eat a cookie. But I won't.

I have to fall back to the reason I do LC in the first place. I don't have to count anything specifically. I can eat when I'm hungry. I can eat things that taste GOOD. AND I can have real ranch dressing. That sums it up for me.

SOmetimes I worry about the fat intake. But, I also know if I just eat a little more fat with a meal, it holds me over longer. And I don't eat as much. For example- I had a hamburger patty with a slice of cheese and a little mayo for breakfast. I was FULLLLL. If I had taken off the cheese and had no mayo- I would have EASILY been able to eat three of the beef patties I made (they were on the small side). So, I'd say I consume less calories overall (or at least no more). I also would have needed a mid-morning snack and I did skip that today.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It's so confusing isn't it? Eat this, don't eat that, eat a little of this, eat a lot of that. Makes me want to eat a cookie. But I won't.

I have to fall back to the reason I do LC in the first place. I don't have to count anything specifically. I can eat when I'm hungry. I can eat things that taste GOOD. AND I can have real ranch dressing. That sums it up for me.

SOmetimes I worry about the fat intake. But, I also know if I just eat a little more fat with a meal, it holds me over longer. And I don't eat as much. For example- I had a hamburger patty with a slice of cheese and a little mayo for breakfast. I was FULLLLL. If I had taken off the cheese and had no mayo- I would have EASILY been able to eat three of the beef patties I made (they were on the small side). So, I'd say I consume less calories overall (or at least no more). I also would have needed a mid-morning snack and I did skip that today.

Yes, that's it exactly! Auntie Em posted a quote from Dr. Phinney (The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living) that I think describes this as well.

Dr. Stephen Phinney–“Human Keto-Adaptation: Physiology and Function”

Keto-adaptation (the term he coined) occurs when ketones become your body’s fuel source
Keto-adaptation can happen within 2-3 weeks of eating an 80/15/5 diet of fat/protein/carbs
Study of a very low-carb ketogenic diet and exercise found they exercise MORE
Another study of fit bike riders on very low-carb ketogenic diet led to negative nitrogen balance
When you eat low-carb, you change your body at the cellular level
Ketone bodies are an essential fuel for your organs
The future research on low-carb diets should observe renal ketone and urate excretion
Inflammation and fatty acid composition impact should also be closely examined
Why do low-carb diets fail? Fat-phobia or the wrong kind of fats consumed.

Back to me now, I believe, we need to get in ketosis by eating the right type of fats and stay in it. We can't be afraid of fat. Congrats to you on discovering it for yourself. As for me, I'm still a little hungry today....
Old 02-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #190
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
oh me oh my ...
cryin with a smile again Constance
I'm a cry baby. Born like that. Oh well....

I'm eating my goulash made last night with my left over meat. Broke a egg in it when it heated up. WOW again the ugly looking plate of leftovers is so good!
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #191
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Eat this/ eat that
Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #192
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
What's the MAG drink?

Today my plan:

Coffee with HWC x 2
1 burger patty w/ 1 slice cheese, a little mayo
Venison dried sausage stick
I don't have a plan for lunch yet.
Special meal for hubby- a low carb stuffed meatloaf (ground burger, some seasonings, a little green bell pepper and onion (I may omit those), stuffed with provolone cheese and procutto ham. I'm also making him a cake but I won't eat it.

Not really hungry today- so we will see how it goes.

Hi Tarrah~ Yea B/S blood sugar.

OH I am so sorry you have that problem. It's good you know what it is and how to treat it. I too had severe panic attacks. Had me on valium then zanax. I hated it. I cut hair once at a FlyingJ truck stop. A truck driver showed his tail one day. I had to get my stun-gun out. A few sparks from that thing he took off with you know what between his legs! I got so scared and then MAD!
I stopped the meds that day. I was more than ready 4 the next one to try to scare me!

WOW your DH did very very good!!! Sounds like he loves you very much!

I made a meatloaf with S/F ketchup a few times. It's so good. I didn't put a lot in it and it did not stall me.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #193
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Extra kudos to your DH marylouise!! How sweet of him

Constance – I agree with the less residue thing with carnivore diets. It makes sense. I experience something a bit similar with the rottie DH and I recently got. She was having cheap dog food before getting here, and she had huge BM compared with our other dog. Now that she’s eating proper food with no fillers, corn or grains the volume of her BMs is significantly smaller. I just got a bit angsty because I didn’t “go” in three (probably four) days and I was feeling totally off. I’ve been under considerable stress lately, so I’m guessing that’s also part of the issue.

I guess I should list the amounts of tuna salad I’m eating! I mixed three cans of tuna with mayo, and all the other ingredients, and I ate it through the day. I’m feeling about the same size, and the scale has been playing tricks on me (probably because of my constipation thingy too). I’m trying to eat as clean as I can.

Sorry to hear about the scale bumping up Tarrah – I’m right there too. I guess I’m going to step on the scale once a week (a feat right there for me). We girls and our darn hormones… I put on a ton of weight whenever TOM is near.

It is a must for me to keep it as interesting as possible. If I take the F>U<N> out I want made it to the end of this road. This I know, for me, is very true!

Oh I don't TOM anymore. My hormones are all gone
Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #194
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yes, that's it exactly! Auntie Em posted a quote from Dr. Phinney (The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living) that I think describes this as well.

Dr. Stephen Phinney–“Human Keto-Adaptation: Physiology and Function”

Keto-adaptation (the term he coined) occurs when ketones become your body’s fuel source
Keto-adaptation can happen within 2-3 weeks of eating an 80/15/5 diet of fat/protein/carbs
Study of a very low-carb ketogenic diet and exercise found they exercise MORE
Another study of fit bike riders on very low-carb ketogenic diet led to negative nitrogen balance
When you eat low-carb, you change your body at the cellular level
Ketone bodies are an essential fuel for your organs
The future research on low-carb diets should observe renal ketone and urate excretion
Inflammation and fatty acid composition impact should also be closely examined
Why do low-carb diets fail? Fat-phobia or the wrong kind of fats consumed.

Back to me now, I believe, we need to get in ketosis by eating the right type of fats and stay in it. We can't be afraid of fat. Congrats to you on discovering it for yourself. As for me, I'm still a little hungry today....
Thank you so much for posting that! I have read that word. I have saw that word. But you made it click for me!

Ketogenic~~~ It sure was easy to understand that time. Thanks Contance!

I know what low carb diet means. I know we spill ketones on LC. But everytime I would see that word I would feel baffled. I need to consume more CO before old age gets my brain!

I was only purple one time. It was the first time I did Atkins. It was 1976 or 77. I lost 17 pounds in the first 2 weeks.
I have seen a little color this time but not much. I lost 100 so fast. I wonder why no purple showed on stick?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What time of day do you test? I pee on a stick obsessively. I'm always darker in the am but almost always purple. After a salad or veggies I am a lot lighter purple. I think I read somewhere that different people get different results on the sticks, they don't work for everyone.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
:

I was only purple one time. It was the first time I did Atkins. It was 1976 or 77. I lost 17 pounds in the first 2 weeks.
I have seen a little color this time but not much. I lost 100 so fast. I wonder why no purple showed on stick?

Mary Louise, There is so much debate on the validity of the keto-stix. Some people say that after one is keto-adopted (you would be , I think, definitely) that you use ketones differently and no longer spill or something like that. I don't know. It could be how much water you drink also that could be diluting it, but not the effect of being ketogenic. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Others say it's like being pregnant--you can't be a little pregnant or a little bit in ketosis. You either are or you're not. Atkins doesn't address this in '72. My husband gets deep purple and I was always lavender even when I lost so much weight.

A few months ago I was deep purple, so definitely in ketosis, but not losing. I think it's a psychological lift to see the darker purples, but unnecessary to weight loss. You know you're a fat burning machine!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #197
Blabbermouth!!!

I was STALLED.... This is how I broke the stall!

Has anyone checked this out. I have been reading, just curious, to see how all of them are doing on juddd. It's the cake and eat it too diet. So I have seen some say.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #198
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
What time of day do you test? I pee on a stick obsessively.

You have to admit that is a funny sentence
Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #199
Blabbermouth!!!

For me that is what keeps losing this weight fun. And the wonderful ppl I am blessed to met here.
I love LCFs
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I was STALLED.... This is how I broke the stall!

Has anyone checked this out. I have been reading, just curious, to see how all of them are doing on juddd. It's the cake and eat it too diet. So I have seen some say.
I just read through some of it. I don't know anything about JUDD- but "have your cake and eat it too" isn't something I think I'd do well on. I'm a black and white person. I can eat it or I can't. Not I can eat it Tuesday, but not Wednesday. That's wouldn't work for me. But happy to see people find things that work for them.

I might not be losing here as much as I'd like but I feel GOOD and I feel in CONTROL. And for me, that's 95% of the battle.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
You have to admit that is a funny sentence
Well, when you put it that way!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #202
Blabbermouth!!!

LCF'S ROCK!!

Have yall seen this? I know one has. I read her post. :-)
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I successfully made DH his (and my) fav cake without a bite. It occurred to me that I'm committed to this when I didn't lick the spoon, didn't taste it before I served it, and spit out a grain of rice I put in my mouth to test the doneness.

Today- I used a gift certificate for a pedicure. I needed the hour off off VERY BADLY! It was really awesome.

I didn't eat lunch and it showed around 4pm. I skipped lunch AND my 3:00 coffee. So by 4:00 I was starving. I had a TBS of pecan butter and 2 sticks of celery/ranch dressing.

My poor DH is trying to get into shape (not lose weight- just get buff) before Hawaii as well. He won't give up carbs. I eat higer fat than he probably should since he is eating carbs- I'm not sure what to do about that (not going to cook 2 meals). Portion control has been the answer so far........

in 2000 (the first time I LCd), he tried to LC with me. He said he was hungry all the time and I suggested he have a high fat snack- like some peanuts. He came home that first day and said he ate an entire canister of peanuts and felt sick. Uh, yeah. That was his first and last try at it. He has no weight issue at all. He runs 10 miles at a time and has a metabolism we'd all kill for.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #204
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I just read through some of it. I don't know anything about JUDD- but "have your cake and eat it too" isn't something I think I'd do well on. I'm a black and white person. I can eat it or I can't. Not I can eat it Tuesday, but not Wednesday. That's wouldn't work for me. But happy to see people find things that work for them.

I might not be losing here as much as I'd like but I feel GOOD and I feel in CONTROL. And for me, that's 95% of the battle.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
I so needed to see them words here!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #205
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I successfully made DH his (and my) fav cake without a bite. It occurred to me that I'm committed to this when I didn't lick the spoon, didn't taste it before I served it, and spit out a grain of rice I put in my mouth to test the doneness.Good for you. It's HARD but doable!!!

Today- I used a gift certificate for a pedicure. I needed the hour off off VERY BADLY! It was really awesome.

OH MY GOSH. That is so so wonderful you was able to be treated so sweetly today. I am very happy 4 you.

My poor DH is trying to get into shape (not lose weight- just get buff) before Hawaii as well. He won't give up carbs. I eat higer fat than he probably should since he is eating carbs- I'm not sure what to do about that (not going to cook 2 meals). Portion control has been the answer so far.......

This is what scares me for my DH!
He eats high fat with me and eats carbs. I don't want to cause him health problems!
I don't know what to do either.

I cooked neck bones for supper. He ate his fill and had a bisquit with cheese and onion and dill pickle. Sure makes me wonder....too
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #206
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Well, when you put it that way!

Tarrah I bet you are so much fun to be AROUND. You keep me smiling....
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
This is what scares me for my DH!
He eats high fat with me and eats carbs. I don't want to cause him health problems!
I don't know what to do either.

I cooked neck bones for supper. He ate his fill and had a bisquit with cheese and onion and dill pickle. Sure makes me wonder....too
NECK BONES???????????????? How do you do that?!!???!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #208
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Mary Louise, There is so much debate on the validity of the keto-stix. You know you're a fat burning machine!

Yea Me a lean mean fat burning machine!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #209
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I successfully made DH his (and my) fav cake without a bite. It occurred to me that I'm committed to this when I didn't lick the spoon, didn't taste it before I served it, and spit out a grain of rice I put in my mouth to test the doneness.
Give me a one~ Give me a two~Tarrah! U go girl
Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #210
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
NECK BONES???????????????? How do you do that?!!???!!!

You have never ate neck bones?
Well you get some pork neck bones and boil till tender.
Very yummie!!

Be sure and add salt and whatever else you like to the pot. It's real good. And you also have all the fat one could want.
I been eating them all my life...