Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: randtbrown
Stats: Current:211/189/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart December 27, 2011
Ha, now I'm the one taking up the whole page!

Any of you use coconut oil? I tried it in a bark and didn't really love it. I'll cook with it- but couldn't find a way to eat it otherwise.

I found coconut mana (which is coconut butter- the whole white part of the coconut blended up like a nut butter). IT IS SO GOOD! 2 carbs per tbs, 1 tbs fiber. I don't usually count net carbs, but for this I am going to say 1 carb per tbs.

It is solid in Colorado at room temp (it's cold here). So, you have to put it in a water bath to make it soft to spoon it out. I got tired of that, so I got it to smooth, put a tbs in mini muffin cups and let it get solid again.

Now I have a perfectly portioned little tartlet of coconut butter that feels like a piece of candy to me. Or a cookie. Whatever- it's incredible.

It may not sound like a tablespoon is much- but it's very rich. I've been having one for snack and it keeps me satisfied.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Hi, Tarrah. Welcome. We each have our own rules, and change them as we like. We will encourage you in whatever you choose!

Cutepixy, welcome!

ML and Jeanie, hi.

Food for me today:

Tea w/ pastured butter, a dab of beef fat, and a little hh
B: 1 sl. beef bacon, LO bits of meat and fat from cooking beef bones, and a small burger, with chives and white pepper, 2 hb yolks
Decaf coffee w/ light cream
L: perhaps hb eggs and yoghurt, and a few herbs
S: probably a beef burger and hot water w/ hwc/hh

Best wishes to all for happy, successful VLCing.
AE~~~ I saw a couple weeks ago you were cal. restricted too but it just now clicked in my head. There is a lot of strong evidence that cal. res. is a way to add years to ones life. How long have you been doing this?
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #123
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randtbrown View Post
We lived in Hawaii for 4 years before we had our son (it's actually where I lost the weight before!). We have t been back in 7 years and still have friends there and we all now have kids- so it's like a mini reunion. They met me at my heaviest and then saw me lose the weight- last they saw me I was at a really thin 160 (I'm a large frame 5'8"- so 160 is a size 6 for me). I'm not even hoping to do that again. I'd be really happy to be 175 and a size 12!

You have such a big family! That must be nice. We sometimes get sad that Kyle won't have siblings- but we enjoy our small- quiet- family!!!
Tarrah~~WOW ya'll lived in Hawaii for 4 years! That's cool. We had talked about how cool it would be to move there, when we were young. But we couldn't leave our mamas and daddys.

I see how much in a hurry you are to drop some pounds.

Can I ask you how and how much you eat? Not liking eggs would be so hard for me low to zero carbin. I know no one is truly zero if eggs are eaten. I'm really curious....

We did have a big family. lost several too early in life to the big C-word. My mamas sister had 7 kids. I have 7 brothers and sisters. My DH has a small family on his side. He lost his daddy when we were young.

My DH has 2 brothers. One has 2 sons in the Coast Guard. One lives in Alaska and the other one is in Cal. The other brother has one grown daughter and one grand daughter.

And my siblings have 10 total grown kids, I think if I did a correct head count And a total of 21 grand kids.

Well I guess we do have a big family

I'm barley 5'2". I show my pounds pretty easy. You are very lucky to be 5'8"

Last edited by marylouise; 02-11-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Old 02-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Down another pound today!

Does anyone know if eating this way can be done long term safely?

Thats a very good Q.

My honest answer is yes.

I will explain why I feel this way later this evening. I have to help my son plan one of the youngins birthdays. He will be 18 on the 14th Valentines baby!

I ate fried eggs and bacon with coffee and Coconut oil and heavy cream. And some cheese......

I will be back on later today.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
Tarrah~~WOW ya'll lived in Hawaii for 4 years! That's cool. We had talked about how cool it would be to move there, when we were young. But we couldn't leave our mamas and daddys.

I see how much in a hurry you are to drop some pounds.

Can I ask you how and how much you eat? Not liking eggs would be so hard for me low to zero carbin. I know no one is truly zero if eggs are eaten. I'm really curious....

We did have a big family. lost several too early in life to the big C-word. My mamas sister had 7 kids. I have 7 brothers and sisters. My DH has a small family on his side. He lost his daddy when we were young.

My DH has 2 brothers. One has 2 sons in the Coast Guard. One lives in Alaska and the other one is in Cal. The other brother has one grown daughter and one grand daughter.

And my siblings have 10 total grown kids, I think if I did a correct head count And a total of 21 grand kids.

Well I guess we do have a big family

I'm barley 5'2". I show my pounds pretty easy. You are very lucky to be 5'8"
My DH was in the Marine Corps and we lived in fun place during that time. We moved home to Texas and couldn't stand living there- and our family drives us crazy. We are outdoor people and so Colorado is a much better fit for us.

I do eat eggs I just don't like them. I eat a lot of chicken, ground bee (taco type seasoning, burgers), venison sausage, steak, ham. I eat cheese- trying to limit to 2 oz a day but that's a challenge for me! I use mayo and green salsa sometimes (I usually make it myself- but it's one way I can eat eggs). I drink too much coffee. I generally eat 2 meals and 2 snacks a day.

I did notice that in 2004 I ate the same foods but I skipped a lot of meals. (I have old food journals). I was in grad school and didn't have a kid to feed on a schedule- so intend to eat at meal times now more than I did then.
randtbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry for the typos, I'm typing while on the treadmill!
Old 02-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Forgot- I also eat fish. Making trout almondine tonight!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #128
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everybody!!!

Hey yall. I just got home. It took a little longer than I thought. I'm plum wore out. We are going to have a double party. My son's wife's aunt was born the same day.

The Co. Butter sounds good. But them carbs would be too much for me. I do my very best to stay as close to zero as possible. I had one bottle once that was pure heaven. It started with a N. Nutriva, maybe. A woman sent it to me from Cal. It was very good!! I have to get LouAna. I drink it with my coffee. I cook everything with it. That includes cakes pies. Anything that calls for oil I use CO. My DH had his mind all set to dislike it in his cakes, but he was delightedly surprised. I use it because it is a med. Fatty chain and it is suppose to be able to be used by our brains. Need to feed my old brain that's for sure. Well that's about all I know on the CO.

Oh I remember this. When I still had veg. oil I tasted it. UGH!!!!!!!!

Tarrah that's a cool trick, walking on a treadmill and texing.
I'd fall down and be in a full body cast!

I think this WOE is the only way I will ever be able to eat and stay, try to stay, at a decent weight. At almost 61 I know if I don't stay eating this way I will die. There ant no if ands about it, I will die. My heart can't carry 300 again. It was a struggle to get in to bed. Getting out was just as hard. Going to the bathroom was such a chore I had a few scares that my heart would burst. I had a heart attack about 20 years ago. I have yo-yo my heart to near death.

In 1977 or 76 I first found out about Dr. Atkins. I never read his book. My dad's doctor is the one that told us about Dr. Atkins diet. Dr.Morris Young was his name. He died many years ago from Aids. He was my dads closest friend. My dad died about 2 years ago. We were not close. He left us when we were young. Got remarried and had 4 kids to raise. My dad was a meat eating man. He had a little blood sugar problem. If he started having issues with it, he went low carb. Well he was mostly low carb most of the time. Alcoholic too. Which he passed on to me and my brother. Our sister slipped past his drinking ways. Anyway I think he would not have been able to go to be almost 76 if he had not keep his blood sugar in decent control. He died from prostate cancer not heart related problems from high blood sugar. Blood sugar got his mama. My mamaw. She died at 62 or 64 I can't remember.

The white sugar. The white flour. The grains, we ant cows! Cows eat grass and grain and we eat cows.

One of my grand daughters is a vegan. She is just 7 years old and she refuses to eat meat. She would eat dirt before you could choke a piece of meat down her. My son and his wife are NOT vegans. We can't figure it out, we just accept the way she feels and feed her as much protein as we can. If she finds a spider in the house she will pick it up and carry it outside. Once when she was about 2 years old a lady bug got on me. I knocked it off and she would have nothing to do with me for months!

I'm rattling. I'm sorry.

I think we should not drink grease. I think we should eat as healthy as we can. I want my own chickens so I can try that egg cream. I am doing my very best to get my body as clean as I can. I will never ever eat white food again. That being said I also will never eat grain or potatoes or rice of any of the stuff that goes straight to my blood as SUGAR! I think sugar is worse than street drugs.

If we could all be Julia Childs and eat in moderation that's maybe a horse of a different color. But I can't eat in moderation. I start and the stop sign falls down. It is what it is~~~~~~~

I must go to bed. We are all gona get together around 2. I probably want be on line until late. But I never know. The pull of this computer is very loud sometimes.

You know I just want to live as healthy and as long as I can. It's what we all want. Low carbin is for me, the best way. I am so blessed to have been led to this forum. LCF has the best folks that come together to help each other. I know for sure LCF has added years to my life.

See yall in the sunshine.

And it's true~~NOTHING TASTE AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS~SWEET LOW CARB DREAMS!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess I don't really aim for zero carbs- I eat less than 10 on a normal day, never more than 20 (talking real carbs- not net).

Today's food list:

Coffee with HWC

DH make me a really yummy egg, bacon and blue cheese omelet. I ate 1/2 the omelet, then opened it and ate the bacon and cheese out of the middle of the rest of it (because it was too eggy).

Double cheeseburger no bun at Jack n Box. When I first starting LCing, I'd need 2 of these to be satisfied. Now, full after just one. And no side salad.

Short ribs for dinner with 1/2 cup mashed cauliflower.

Guess who LOVES my coconut butter "fudge cookie". My son! He is a picky eater- no peanut butter, no cheese, no deli meat (try making lunches without those things). He will eat fruit and most veggies all day long.

He loved the coconut butter though! I think I'll make him some oatmeal and coconut butter granola bars.

My goal next week (besides super low carbing) is to drink more water. I think I need a new water bottle to make it a little more fun for me.

I also want to try an Americano with heavy cream at starbucks this week.....
Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MaryLouise- I think it's funny about your grandkid who won't eat meat! I've known several other kids who have done this. Some was a phase that passes- others it never did. You have to give young people the credit they are due. At a young age, they know what they like and don't!

We were just readign through Kyle's baby book today and noticed many of the things he liked as a toddler (like as early as 8 months and 1 year) are still true. He loves green beans and chicken (his early fav foods) and he loves the color green (since age 1). He loves books, doesn't like movies. All recognized early.

He did once like cheese a lot. I gave him a cheese stick that was expired and apparently stinky once by mistake. He has not eaten cheese since (other than a VERY RARE grilled cheese- melted seems to make a difference).

Last edited by randtbrown; 02-12-2012 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Tarrah, Kids do learn early what they like and don't like. The food you ate today sounded good.

Today at my sons's where we had his second son's birthday The grand daught that want eat meat stood up as straight and tall as she could and said" yall don't talk so loud. Yall dont talk so loud. I said what are you saying sweetie and she said" see you can't hear me ..yall please dont talk so loud. Guess what the house got very quite. The other grand daughter was reading one of the birthday carbs out loud. It was so funny and cute.
I took a head count. 14 of us had been able to get together. And it was loud.

My today food was:
porksteaks
cheese
1- Atkins bar~~I have one left and not buying another box until after I have lost my next 20. I feel better this morning. Lighter. We got home late and I had not ate yet. They all ate pizza, delivery! OH my gosh it smelled so good. I took 2 ittie bittie pieces of pineapple off a sons plate. I had to. I could not stand not doing it. I promise they were very very small. He had one that was the thin crust kind. I got a small piece and ate the cheese. It was a simple cheese pizza. almost void of sauce. I also ate 4 small cubes of cheese. I had made tea the day before when I went there to help them set the house up for the 2 partys. I also drank coffee with C/O. The 2 cakes and ice cream looked yummy. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food.
Dream Thin Dreams.

P.S. I ate my last2 Russel Stovers candy pieces. I ant getting anymore of them either. I mean them there words!

Last edited by marylouise; 02-12-2012 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: forgot to add the candy
Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marylousise- it sounds like a fun party and like you did pretty good!

Today's plan for me:

Coffee w HWC
2 eggs fried in CO and a little butter (blah)
2 small beef patties, cheese, mayo
Ground beef with taco flavor, ranch dressing

I have to work in a clients office today- so I often don't get through my meals. And I drink too much coffee!

I weighed in at 199.6 this morning!!!! Praying I will stay under 200 for good this time.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Hi everybody!!!! Special HeLLo to all the newcomers!

Gosh, I've been having a couple of rough days. Starting Friday I had this shadow of a migraine that didn't go away. And... [insert fair TMI warning here] I found myself not going to the bathroom as regularly since Wednesday or Thursday. I spent the better part of the weekend between the toilet and my bed, with a bad migraine and the much welcomed effects of the magnesium I took. I've never experienced constipation while doing VLC in the past, so I'm clueless as to what happened.

I bought cabbage, so I'm going to add some chopped raw cabbage to my tuna and chicken salad. Gives a nice crunch and has good fiber. The OMMs that I had did nothing for me this time around. It was probably too much fiber all of a sudden... who knows...

Anyways, so I'm back up and running and totally stoked because my migraine is GONE and darn constipation is GONE!!! Now if my muffin top would follow suit... LOL!!!!

Have a wonderful day everybody!

My ancestors didn’t claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat Twinkies - Mark Sisson
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: red_teapot
WOE: Atkins 72, zc
I am joining your challenge. I have been low-carbing for too many years to count, but then there are serious lapses, and I gain. My weight now is 165, but 12 years ago or so, I weighed at least 265. I stopped weighing because I was too upset with the scale. I am only 5' 2". Then I followed Atkins 72 induction (no salads or cream) until I lost almost 100lbs. Low and behold, I found myself pregnant at age 48 and I had thought I was menopausal. The baby interrupted further weight loss--although, if I had known what I now know, I would have continued low carb throughout the pregnancy. While I was still nursing her, I developed breast cancer. That was 6 years ago. I did the chemo/rads and I am fine now(not necessarily because of the chemo/rads--in fact, probably in spite of). I followed a very low carb/low cal/low fat diet (******* or Stillman's), got down to 115, but I felt terrible. I began to add fat, still kept my weight down. But somewhere in between, I started gaining. Last week, I weighed 170--which is almost my highest since being dx. I have recently done the h-hcg diet as well, and I lose, but I gain it back again because I become famished. I am going to do just meat and eggs and eat to my appetite for a while and just see what happens. I did lose weight last week trying to keep calories around 1000, with an 80/20 ratio of fat to protein. But by Sunday, I found it impossible to keep up and I started searching for fat in the form of bacon/pork rinds. While those things are zc, I find I always gain eating them, so I must abstain. It's easier said than done. I plan on having wine tonight and tomorrow, but then it's strict meat/eggs,without worrying about cals for a while.

Sorry for the long intro. I'm looking forward to joining you and losing a few lbs!
red_teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Hi red teapot! Welcome!! Sorry to hear about your health problems. I had kind of a rough weekend myself, but it's nothing compared to being a true survivor. Way to go with your awesome weight loss too.

Going VLC is an amazing reset for me. I hope it works great for you too. I find myself eating less, feeling no cravings... it's just great
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Translation,
I am starving! I wish I could eat less. I am had a few deviled eggs, bacon, 4 oz. London Broil, 6oz ground chuck (all today!) and I know I'll be ready for dinner in a few hours. Last week when I tried keeping my cals under 1000, I did eat lots of coconut oil to try to keep my fat up, so maybe that's the ticket. Maybe my appetite will be less tomorrow.

Migraines must be terrible--I can't imagine the pain. I'm such a baby when it comes to pain anyway. Do you have any triggers for the migraines? My older son was concerned that he might be developing them and he also experienced memory loss with the pain. Do you have that as well? My cancer stuff seems like a lifetime away, really. At one time I thought it or the fear of death would haunt me forever, but I finally don't think about it anymore. I do believe staying in a state of ketosis for so many years, losing weight (even if I gain), and doing somewhat lower cal has helped, but I am sure of nothing.

Thanks for the welcome--it's great to be here!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Marylousise- it sounds like a fun party and like you did pretty good!

Today's plan for me:

Coffee w HWC
2 eggs fried in CO and a little butter (blah)
2 small beef patties, cheese, mayo
Ground beef with taco flavor, ranch dressing

I have to work in a clients office today- so I often don't get through my meals. And I drink too much coffee!

I weighed in at 199.6 this morning!!!! Praying I will stay under 200 for good this time.
I know that made you feel good. There is nothing as good as seeing the one instead of the two!!!

That pizza was hard on my sence of smell
Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I hope I've got this quote thingie right. I'm terrible at techie stuff. Anyway. YES! Congrats on being in onderland! You're doing great. Your menus look delicious. I'm looking forward to losing with you.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Mary Louise, You have been a big reason for bringing me back to Atkins. I saw your posts in the Atkins 72 forum and I was very inspired. You have done a fantastic job. I was doing H-hcg, but I found I kept gaining everytime I went to a P3. Remembering the Einstein quote about Insanity being doing the same thing again and again but expecting different results, I decided to do Atkins 72 with just meat and eggs, coconut oil, and some (4 tsp)cream. Thanks for all your posts and inspiration.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Red_teapot

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_teapot View Post
I am joining your challenge. It is great to see you! You called it right, weight loss is a Challenge!!

I have been low-carbing for too many years to count, but then there are serious lapses, and I gain. My weight now is 165, but 12 years ago or so, I weighed at least 265. I stopped weighing because I was too upset with the scale. I am only 5' 2". Then I followed Atkins 72 induction (no salads or cream) until I lost almost 100lbs.

If I was close I could shake your hand. hey I can shake your hand.
I stopped weighing too. I had no desire to see how much more I could despise my body. Oh it's a horrible thing to see them scales go so high! I really thing I hated myself to a point that I no longer gave a crap!

There is a lot of years between your loss and gain. You were doing something right. My weight loss came back so fast it was a shock one day to see myself naked. But it did take a few years. You and I both are 5'2". I wish I had been born with taller genes Tarrah is 5'8". She is lucky~~ I bet she may be able to reach the top shelf in her kitchen. I have a foot stool in mine. Well living in our Greyhound temp. I am using it to prop my feet on. I can touch the ceilings in here no problem!
Atkins 72 is also what I followed. That plus a list of foods and omits from a paper I WAS TOLD he put in a mag. back in the late 60s. It worked for me. And it was exactly what my dads doctor told him was the true list from Dr. Rob. A in 1968, I think. The first time I did low carb was in 1976 or 77. So long ago can't remember for sure. I lost 17 pounds in my first 2 weeks doing that list of foods.

Low and behold, I found myself pregnant at age 48 and I had thought I was menopausal. The baby interrupted further weight loss--although, if I had known what I now know, I would have continued low carb throughout the pregnancy. I stopped having babies too soon. I have 2 grown men and 4 grand sons and 2 grand daughters. My grand daughters are now filling the void I felt for several decades in my life. You are very blessed to have had her. Oh I can't imagine the bliss of finding out I was going to have another child at 48. Oh makes me feel so happy for you!

While I was still nursing her, I developed breast cancer. That was 6 years ago. I did the chemo/rads and I am fine now(not necessarily because of the chemo/rads--in fact, probably in spite of). I followed a very low carb/low cal/low fat diet (******* or Stillman's), got down to 115, but I felt terrible. I began to add fat, still kept my weight down. But somewhere in between, I started gaining. Last week, I weighed 170--which is almost my highest since being dx. I have recently done the h-hcg diet as well, and I lose, but I gain it back again because I become famished. I am going to do just meat and eggs and eat to my appetite for a while and just see what happens. I did lose weight last week trying to keep calories around 1000, with an 80/20 ratio of fat to protein. But by Sunday, I found it impossible to keep up and I started searching for fat in the form of bacon/pork rinds. While those things are zc, I find I always gain eating them, so I must abstain. It's easier said than done.

First thing I must add very causly so as to not upset you is: Have you spoke to your doctor about your lack of energy?
That is causing a little bit of worry for me. Above all of my thoughts is your health. No weight loss is worth getting sick. Please don't get upset with me. I am only thinking about you.
I plan on having wine tonight and tomorrow, but then it's strict meat/eggs,without worrying about cals for a while.

Sorry for the long intro. I'm looking forward to joining you and losing a few lbs!
Please don't think you can't speak in here all you want to. I am a real chatter box. Ask anyone~~
I love words and I love to write them and read them.
I penned a thought many years ago. It went something like this....
Paper words for the paper world we live in. It's a true thought. We do live in a paper world. Yea I know now we have this binary system. But I still love the feel and smell of paper and pen close at hand.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #141
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post
Hi everybody!!!! Special HeLLo to all the newcomers!

Gosh, I've been having a couple of rough days. Starting Friday I had this shadow of a migraine that didn't go away. And... [insert fair TMI warning here] I found myself not going to the bathroom as regularly since Wednesday or Thursday. I spent the better part of the weekend between the toilet and my bed, with a bad migraine and the much welcomed effects of the magnesium I took. I've never experienced constipation while doing VLC in the past, so I'm clueless as to what happened.

I bought cabbage, so I'm going to add some chopped raw cabbage to my tuna and chicken salad. Gives a nice crunch and has good fiber. The OMMs that I had did nothing for me this time around. It was probably too much fiber all of a sudden... who knows...

Anyways, so I'm back up and running and totally stoked because my migraine is GONE and darn constipation is GONE!!! Now if my muffin top would follow suit... LOL!!!!

Have a wonderful day everybody!

Hi Trans I was concerened about not seeing you all weekend. I am glad you feel better. Threads are hot!!

I love LCF!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Mary Louise--I wish we lived close. I have a feeling you'd be so much fun to spend time with. That thing about watching the scale climb is terrible, isn't it? I don't think our old scale went much higher than 280--I dreaded finding out if the scale wouldn't weigh me! Funny that we're both 5'2", too. I've been fortunate that I never gained all the weight back. While I was pregnant, I gained, but I don't remember how much I weighed. Before I was dx, my weight was somewhere around 180. Cancer scared me "to death" and I fought very hard to lose weight. But because of all the drugs and steroids I had to take, my weight loss was very slow during the chemo/rads. I was part of a study on the effect of exercising during chemo. It only required a daily walk and that I monitor my heart rate, weight and bp. All improved during chemo.

Thanks for asking about my health. I am actually doing very well right now. My blood was monitored pretty closely for years because my doc feared I was developing leukemia from chemo. However, for the first time in (6) years, I finally have normal blood counts. This is major good news. I still fight fatigue, but I don't believe it's cancer. When I asked my breast surgeon years ago what I could do to improve my chances to live, she said lose weight. Sometimes I don't even think it matters how we do it--just so we do it.

That said, I do find that I crave fat. Whether it's natural for me or whether it's because of the time I spent on the Stillman and H-hcg diet, I don't know,but I love fat. Right now (this minute) I'm finally not hungry, but I have eaten so much.

I did low carb too back in the 60s when I was a teenager. The first time my father and I wanted to get in shape for my sister's wedding (1967). Her girlfriend gave him a copy of the drinking man's diet booklet and we followed it. Of course I didn't drink! And he was prescribed amphetamines from his doc to help him. It worked. I spent most of my teenage years eating just meat and the usual teenage treats. Then as a young woman in my late 20's, I became Pritikin and then, macrobiotic. It was the beginning of major weight gain. While I would lose some weight, I always had terrible cravings and I spent my 30s having children and gaining weight. So much weight!

I have 3 grown children (2 boys, 1 girl) , one 10 yr old, and 4 grandchildren. My grandchildren all live so far away. I love your stories about your family. I wish my family all lived closer. Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Constance
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #143
Blabbermouth!!!

DHs cant live with em and cant live without em

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_teapot View Post
Mary Louise, You have been a big reason for bringing me back to Atkins. I saw your posts in the Atkins 72 forum and I was very inspired. You have done a fantastic job. I was doing H-hcg, but I found I kept gaining every time I went to a P3. Remembering the Einstein quote about Insanity being doing the same thing again and again but expecting different results, I decided to do Atkins 72 with just meat and eggs, coconut oil, and some (4 tsp)cream. Thanks for all your posts and inspiration.
red_teapot~~ I so hope I did not upset you. I have a bad habit of thinking out loud.

I don't remember reading any posts from you. Did you post on the 72 thread?
My memory isn't as good as it was. Well in all honestly I have never had a good memory.

I would never knowingly ever hurt another one on purpose.

Well I am gona knock my DH on the head if he ask me to cook him another banana pudding! And then I am gona hurt him on purpose

Hey I heard a good one today on Racheal Ray....a dance teacher said woman leads to the right and R asked why and she said cause woman is always RIGHT!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
red_teapot~~ I so hope I did not upset you. I have a bad habit of thinking out loud.

I don't remember reading any posts from you. Did you post on the 72 thread?
My memory isn't as good as it was. Well in all honestly I have never had a good memory.

I would never knowingly ever hurt another one on purpose.
No, no, absolutely not! You didn't upset me! See my post just above! I appreciate your concern, really.

And I never posted on the 72 thread. I like this thread because it's small and somewhat anonymous. Plus when I look at the current thread, it's all over the place in terms of diet. It's okay, you know, whatever works for whomever chooses. Sometimes I don't even know if I'll stay Atkins 72. I really want to lose another 30 lb at least so I can fit in my clothes. H-hcg works so fast. Stillman's works fast. Fat fasting works fast. I get impatient. But I'm promising myself 2 weeks on just meat/eggs and not worrying about the fat/protein ratio and so forth.

Don't make the pudding! At least, not for a while....until you're stronger.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #145
Blabbermouth!!!

yea me read it :-)

I told him I would TEACH him how to do it...He makes a good cake!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay I want make him pudding....I of course have a word or two or three here to add...The biggest mistake some make is to do LC and stop and than do LC. That will throw your blood lipids clear to the top of the kitchen cabinent and we would need a stool to see daylight...Constance did you read my SM?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #147
Blabbermouth!!!

LCF'S ROCK!!

look at this thread :-)
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

What's a sm?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

You know, Mary Louise, while I weighed so much and experience the same problems you did when I was overweight, I hardly remember it! A blessing. I kind of remember being the heaviest person in the room. I remember not fitting in a bathtub. I also remember how hard it was (and this is disgusting) to take care of my toileting habits! I remember my then young daughter, now in her 20s, telling me I didn't look like other mothers. All those things seem to have happened to someone else, not me. I also remember quite recently, being the thinnest person in the room. I was never classified as diabetic, but I was taking blood pressure medication. Now my bp is low.

One of the saddest things for me is that my mother begged me to lose weight. I took care of her before she died in 2005. I was dx right before she died. She never saw me thin. And when I finally lost weight, I looked just like her!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

A private message...go to ur control panel...u see it look to right up