Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
Blitz VIII - January 1, 2012 - March 31, 2012

The good folks from Blitz VII have entrusted me with the task of setting up Blitz VIII, and since I am a technological nitwit, there is a good chance no one will ever see what I am writing here. :-)

On the tiny chance this works, I would like to invite our friends - old and new - to join us on the 8th leg of this low-ish carb journey toward weight loss and better health. We are a small group of very friendly, non-judgmental regular joes and joettes, who post often as a means of giving and receiving support.

There are no rules and no real structure - we each develop or follow individual plans and share our successes and failures with them. The first Blitz was started on April 1, 2010 by our leader flatferenghi, who is a benevolent little troll from another planet, who avoided a catering truck one day, and well, the rest is history!

I do realize that last paragraph may scare any new folks away :-)

I will end here and let others add their thoughts. Hope you will join us!
Tony

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 12-31-2011 at 06:07 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Thanks, Tony! You did a great job, as usual! I hope things continue to go well at the store. I bet you are excited about the closing and then the "opening" of a new chapter in your life.

Hello and welcome to all of our "old" friends and new friends. It is going to be a good year, I feel it in my fat

Happy New Year! Stay safe!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Happy New year's everyone. Wish you all the best for the upcoming year and I know this group is going to do great with all of our health goals!
Old 12-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

yea!...it worked...HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Happy New Year Blitzers!

Having computer problems this morning on home computer and Mom's. Also her little tv in her bedroom not working but one in living room is?? Hope that this is not a hint of what's in store for the new year.

Had a good day yesterday sticking with lower carb. Had some jalepeno cheese sticks and tuna with mayo. I see that the gang had chinese last night while my sister was giving me another night off. Boy, glad I didn't have to resist that meal!

FF, did you ever make the latkes out of celeriac?

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

happy new year guys!!!!...

i did not resist the chinese food last night, and it was really good - no msg and not salty at all and i stuck to all low carb choices, except for a dollop of fried rice...

starting this blitz at 221 and determined to get to 1derland by april 1!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Thanks Tony, Happy New Year everyone. The end of 2012 wasn't too good to some of us, but this is a great time for a new start.

We went out to eat last night and I am beginning to hate eating out. I ordered a Southwestern Chicken breast with sauteed veggies and a baked potato. The chicken breast was not "real" chicken of course. I don't mean processed but probably that boneless, skinless breast chunk you find in a bag. Those definitely have a different texture and taste.

The veggies looked and tasted awful. The broccoli was a sickly Army green, not the vibrant green and there was a ton of seasoning on it. All the veggies were way overcooked. I returned it and they brought out a second helping without the seasoning. It 'looked' better, but when I bit into them, they were cold in the center. They had just dumped frozen Calif. mix blend of veggies in pan with oil.

Now, on to the baked potato, they brought out sour cream and 'butter'. Of course, the 'butter' was some kind of margarine (I didn't dare ask for real butter because I knew what the answer was going to be) and the sour cream had an odd taste, probably low fat! So, all I ate last night was a few bites of the chicken and the inside of the potato. I would have eaten the skin, but after I removed the foil it looked like the potato hadn't been scrubbed.

So, even though I had decided to break my "fasting detox" I was totally disappointed in the meal. Thankfully, what little I did eat, probably didn't do a whole lot of damage.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Started off the new year by cooking a HUGE pot of veggie soup. And, I finally got an outside run in after about a month of being under the weather. I can tell I have lost some momentum and strength but I can't stop now!

Vicki, I have had similar experiences at restaurants. It's really hard to find good tasting healthy food eating out.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Thanks for the new board, Tony! Happy 2012! Beautiful sunny morning but clouds and storms moving in late afternoon.

I made it through NY's Day without red velvet cake, cornbread or blackeyed peas -- not an easy feat for a superstitious southerner. I did have plenty of greens, though, the other money charm of the holiday.

Breakfast was eggs scrambled with the last of the holiday Swiss cheese, with a side of sauteed kale and a "gingerbread" (flour- and sugar-free) flax muffin. Lunch was burgers with kale chips. Dinner was deviled eggs with fresh spring rolls -- substituting lightly steamed collard leaf wraps for the rice paper wraps and using a homemade SF dipping sauce.

I read an interesting article in the Times about a new study on why people who lose weight have trouble maintaining the loss -- and then a general collection of studies on maintaining weight loss. Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/ma...me&ref=general

FF, are you going to see The Enchanted Island? I read the review. Sounds interesting.

Abi, your mom is pretty. She reminds me of a 70 year-old friend of mine, except my friend was kind of big on plastic surgery when she was younger. I think it all evens out over the long-term anyway.

Vicki, I am so with you on the amazement at all the fake food. I picked up some cream for the Christmas casserole and it took me two stores to find cream where the only ingredient was, well...cream. I couldn't believe all the crud they put into cream these days.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Vicki, I don't know at what restaurant you ate, but if obviously isn't a good one. I've never heard of food that bad before.

Day one of plan successful! Now, on to the next.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

hi vicki, sorry your meal out was such a disappointment...but it's a new year and we are all gonna make a huge positive change beginning today, right?...

artemis, the soup sounds yummy - and i'm very proud of you for getting outside and moving around...remember, DON'T OVERDO IT :-)

shadows, that sounds like a really good menu!...i love southern food...thanks for the article link - i just read the whole thing...it explains a lot, but i'm hoping it is not a cycle we can't overcome with slow, steady changes in habit...it makes me realize i have to be more strict and careful than i have been, especially when my body is changing metabolically and working against me...

good day today for day 1 of this new year...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Getting a bit of a late start posting this morning. Wishing us all a good day 2 of the New Year. I had some temptations yesterday as there is stuff around Mom's that people have been bringing and I am spending more time here exposed to it. But I resisted. Had ground beef, cheese and bratwurst yesterday. Also had bratwurst the day before but forgot to mention it. My niece brought me a wedge of the mustard seed cheese yesterday. She said it was the last bit as the co-op had all their Christmas cheese selections on close out. I am going to go on line and see if there is any way to order it for a reasonable price. I see it is made in the UK.

LCShadows, I told Mom just now that you said she was pretty. That brought a smile to her face. Good going on resisting the good luck New Years dishes. That combination of food would be hard to resist. Good article on why we can't maintain our losses that easily.

Vicki, sorry about the lousy food on your dinner out. Now that you have broken your fasting detox, what will your plan be?

Marilee, glad day one was good. Hope we all have a good day 2. We are on a roll!!

Artemis, wishing you a very healthy New Year. Getting some fresh air and sunshine should help.

FF, I saw a news story about some beautiful lights on homes in Brooklyn in ****r Heights. Are those the ones you mentioned before and did you get out to see them?

Coffee and cream so far today and definately will have some mustard cheese. DH says he is going to do a pot roast in crock pot so dinner will be good. Have a great day all!

Ha Ha, I did not edit that area of Brooklyn. The site must have!

Last edited by Abigale; 01-02-2012 at 05:12 AM..
Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I have been more in tune with what I put into my mouth since starting a LC way of eating. In fact, I have evolved into becoming more aware of where my food comes from. I don't eat processed foods too much anymore and fix most meals from "scratch". I have been eating free range chicken and eggs and have a quarter of grass fed beef on order. I have also been reading more and more about raw food, vegetarianism, flexitarianism, and veganism. The basis of most of these is plant based food. Therefore, I am thinking that since I still eat meat at this time, I could call myself a flexitarianism.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

vicki, you're a lot more than an "ism" in my book! :-) sounds like you are moving in a very positive direction on your woe...

abi, great job avoiding the eating pitfalls all over your mom's house...i don't know how we all don't gain 50 lbs. over the holidays, with all the holiday "treats" EVERYWHERE...good luck finding the cheese...it's funny that the site would redact the mention of an area of brooklyn - it must be because ff hangs around there :-)

that article yesterday has thrown me for a bit of a loop, but i am happy i read it...been thinking about it all day...not only is this hard, it requires behavior from us that is much much more disciplined and restrictive than what is expected from the rest of the population...without an iron will, that could be discouraging...it definitely is a bit sobering...but it made me realize how badly i want this, because i feel more motivated today...

weighed in at 221.2 today, and have had a great day so far:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: grilled chicken
d: ?

hope y'all are having a great day!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

it's 10:30 and i'm still at work with no food - this is one way to lose weight! :-)
Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, hope you didn't pass out before you got something to eat yesterday. I have had that happen only afew times in the past where I am into a big project and food is like the last thing on my mind, like getting our condo ready to sell. We have to appreciate these times when they happen and use them to our advantage.

Vicki, that is so healthy eating all the free range chicken, meats and all. The cost of free range meat around here is pretty expensive but it does kind of creep me out to eat meat which I know has been grain fed and had antiobiotics. I try not to think about it. Keep us posted on how the flexitarianism woe goes.

Had ground beef, cheese, and pot roast yesterday. Just one small carrot and a piece of cooked onion from the pot roast. Some water but not enough.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

One note on the NY Times article. It mentioned that they had experimented injecting leptin, the hormone made by body fat to override leptin resistance to weight loss. Quite awhile back I put Dr. Jack Kruse's "Leptin Prescription" on here. He feels he has the protocol to reverse leptin resistence.MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION - Jack Kruse
Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
In case u are not all alienated yet, the ALIEN is back.

Tony, u did a beautiful job getting BLITZ VIII going. I could not have done it in any case, as my computer at home is on the fritz yet again. Luciano is coming this evening to take it away, until I have the Latinum to pay its ransom. I regret, i will have to wait for the radio broadcast for everything i wish to see at the MET, except for March 17. I got a comparatively inexpensive ticket ($49.50 for nosebleed city) for Mussorgsky's Khovanschina. Everything else on my list was either sold out, or too expensive. PBS will undoubtedly air a few, but they never give advance warning. I missed half the MET productions that they did air last season. Last night they did part 1 of a 2 part documentary about Martin Luther. They did not say when they will air part 2. This is because they WANT us to miss it, so that we will have to buy the DVD at their inflated prices. This troll buys nothing at retail prices. I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years celebration, and is ready to get real for the New Year. If i did not gobble everything in sight the last 3 days, it is because I was sucking up gallons of diet soda. That i should feel wonderful this morning (and i do)is an undeserved grace. My mantra for now through May 11, is LAS VEGAS. Anytime, i even think off-plan thoughts, i will chant LAS VEGAS, LAS VEGAS. It beats SERENITY NOW. Just ask Frank Costanza and Lloyd Braun !!! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #19

i did not get a chance to accomplish certain things...

in the post TG craziness. I did not get a chance to see the Christmas lights, nor did I have the chance to make the celeriac latkes. I am sure, by that time, i will have to buy a new celery root. I also did not as yet connect my cassette deck or cd player to the amp. Nor, did i get a chance to go back to that place for the sugar free candy canes. As much as i love this time of year, weatherwise, i am not a fan of being out after dark. Also, the 4000 piece jigsaw puzzle is too big for my table (the one I bought for just that purpose)I need to go to B & N, and get the 2000 piece version. I removed the shrink-wrap, just to verify that there was nothing missing.And, i do not have the receipt either. However my (earth)brother used his card, and I remember the purchase date, so I believe we will be able to do business. I will call them later today. It is time to erase the board of all our past failures, and dissappointments. We have a clean slate. Let us use it wisely. FF
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

My goals for this year other than maintaining my weight loss for the ninth year in a row (that goal is forever ongoing), I plan to finish up my 5K training and move on to the 10K transition training.
Got a good workout in last night and my legs are super sore. Also have a HUGE bottle of water with lemon on my desk and I am chugging it as we speak.
I got such little sleep last night. My alarm system (which I never had activated after I moved) kept making beeping noises and actually started sounding with a siren this morning when I tried to leave. I have no idea why and I could never figure out how to shut it off (I'm sure my neighbors just love me now). I called the company and they haven't bothered to call me back.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #21

for u, Artemis, i am temporarily walking the stairs at work.

i already walked 2 flights twice today. Elevator down, and legs up. Frankly, i do not know how much good it will for for me physically, but at least i will feel like i am doing something constructive. Also, at least while u are doing your huffing and puffing, u will take some comfort that i am doing mine. I just wolfed down a nice salad (mostly mixed lettuces)with some of this and some of that. My protein was a 5 oz can of solid white tuna (water pack)with 1 T mayo, and 1/2 oz crushed pecans. It was great. I loved it just as much as the off-plan foods and off-plan portions I was vacuuming into myself the last 72 hours. Well, i believe i can do this for the next 132 days. I will probably go to the Outback on my birthday. If the weather allows me to walk there and back, i will get one of the larger steaks. If not, the smallest. The scariest time for me, of course is the evenings. I have all my strategies in place, especially NO TV after Seinfeld. whatever needs to be seen, i can tape for future viewing (sorry, Sheldon!!!) FF
Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

artemis, sometimes that beeping happens if the batteries are weakening...if your alarm is hardwired, and no components use batteries, then that isn't the problem...congrats on your goal and for being so disciplined...you really are an inspiration to the rest of us...

ff, good to have you back and i'm happy i did not disappoint you with my setup of blitz viii...when you started this, did you ever imagine we would get to a blitz viii???...i didn't!...it's amazing that at the end of this one, we will have known each other for two years!

my preoccupation with the store has paid a small dividend...i was here til after midnight last night and although starving, found the will to go to sleep rather than eat...this morning, the scale was down 2 lbs. to 219.2...i'll take losses any way i can get 'em...
:-)

today so far:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: pizza topping (sausage, onions & peppers) off two slices
d: ???

abi, thanks for posting the link again - don't think i read it before, but i will today...good menu, btw :-)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #23

actually, Tony,I expect to stay around for BLITZ DCCCLXXXVIII

I will do what it takes to get to ONEderland at least, if not goal. FF
Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Unbelievably cold here (for the South) and like living in a wind tunnel. Even though I've had my heat on full blast all day, it hasn't gotten above 59 degrees inside. These apartments are not insulated for sub-zero windchills. They leak!

I made another casserole, sans meat but with plenty of vegies, and used up the last of that holiday cheese box that someone gave me. So, by the weekend, my house should be back to its dairy-free norm.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
that article yesterday has thrown me for a bit of a loop, but i am happy i read it...been thinking about it all day...not only is this hard, it requires behavior from us that is much much more disciplined and restrictive than what is expected from the rest of the population...without an iron will, that could be discouraging...it definitely is a bit sobering...but it made me realize how badly i want this, because i feel more motivated today...
Tony, my first reaction to that article was the same. Like, gee, upbeat way to start the New Year, NYT. But I think it is helpful in showing you what lies ahead if you want to keep off the weight -- and that is the real battle. It requires some concious strategy. I decided to put up this great poster I found of Alicia Denison in boxing attire, punching out with these heavy weights. It has a caption that reads, "The best way to get me to do something? Tell me I CAN'T do it." I also put up one I had modified from a sports gear ad. It has boxer Laila Ali. The original caption said, "Heat never had a fighting chance." But I had changed the "heat" to "Fat." So I put both of them up in the corner of the room where I do my resistance training. A little motivational visual aid never hurts.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

that's a great idea, shadows!...and i agree, the article was important reading for me...i tend to get lazy and think i can lose weight whenever i want to, but it is not as true as it used to be - it is getting harder all the time...

i did nothing horrible to gain the 17+ lbs. i have gained since april...haven't binged, haven't eaten high carb junk - 90% healthy, LC whole foods - but the 10% of being a bit loose has been enough to promote that significant gain...that article put it in perspective for me...

if i want to get to a lower weight, i just have to try harder and it will always be that way...if i eat the way other, normal weight people eat, i will be fat - as simple as that...and i don't want to be fat...the question is do i want it badly enough...i really think i do!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Hello Tony, FF, et al! Happy New Year!!!

I've had a rotter of a year - must have gained 30 lbs of the 60lbs I lost.. but no matter, 2011 is history!

I'd like to join the 90 day challenge if I may? No weightloss goal in particular, just to stick to plan (Atkins) as closely as possible, post here regularly, and log my food (honestly!) on ******.

First day at work after a long 2 week festive break today - argh! I suppose I should set off! Good luck, all, for a great Wednesday!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Clanger! Glad you are with us. Hoping we all stay super motivated for the next 3 months!

LCShadows, sorry for the poorly insulated apartment. 59 degrees inside is pretty darn cold. I keep a down vest handy when I feel chilled. It does help hold the body heat in. It is 8 degrees out this morning here. That is very cold for us in New Hampshire. But at least Mom's house says it is 70 and I am not all that warm right now. Love the motivational poster ideas!

FF, I am so sad you never got your sf candy canes over the holidays to stir your coffee with. Maybe by valentines day you can get some. You are making me feel guilty with your stair walking.

Tony, hoping the two pounds off from all your intense work at the store stick with you!

Artemis, we ended up having to take the batteries out of our fire alarms after we fired up out new wood burning stove. I guess we better put them back in now that the all the stove pipes should be settled down. Great you are going to head on to the 10k training after you finish up your 5k training.

Wishing you all a great day!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #29

i was seduced by the dark side once again!!!

No, not by starches and sweets. I got sucked into 4 episodes of the BIG BANG THEORY. it is one of my fave shows now. that and the pig in the GEICO commercial. So, at 10pm I had to shut the tv off if i wanted a shot at Mozart...(DON GIOVANNI)a vintage recording from circa 1961 with a great cast. Then at 11pm i went back to SEINFELD. I live a strange life. also, I found the gift receipt from B & N, so there should be no problem with exchanges. Yesterday, i ate just enough. i was under my daily WW daily points by about 5. I am off tomorrow, ergo i will be incommunicado till Friday. i will be quite busy and out of the house during the day till about 7-8pm. I can almost say what i will be having for lunch tomorrow: the grilled Caesar at McD. Ordinarily, i would eat that PLUS two Angus Burgers. I must remember to bring some nuts for the crunch. 1 pouch of Newman's Caesar dressing is a whopping 4 gr.of carbs. As it is less than 1 gr for 2 T on the bottle info, We are talking about a modified dressing, or a full 4 oz in the pouch, which of course it aint. READ LABELS!!! I learned that I can do portion control during the day, but not during the winter nights. so, I compensate by eating just enough to stave off not just hunger, but deprivation, and boredom. I leave as much as possible for the night. the strategy is that I will not feel the need for all the remaining points. Yesterday I consumed the following: BKFST-zip, LUNCH, a nice salad with mostly greens, 5 oz solid white tuna, a little bit of this, and a little bit of that sprinkled with 1/2 oz crushed pecans and only 1T of mayo. Evening was divided into 2 parts. Part A was 12 oz Hebrew National Salami and 2 thin slices of muenster cheese, and deli mustard. Part B was a House Special Soup and 1 small order of ribs. That did it. I was hoping i would be satisfied with Part A alone. but it was not to be. I am making these posts longer than usual, because i want this round to be an exploration and exorcism of whatever it is that causes me to NEED to eat so much. FF
Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

FF, I am so proud of you for taking the stairs! It all adds up and makes a huge difference. Also, I LOVE the Big Bang Theory.

Clanger, welcome! Wishing you all the best with your goals!

So, after a few traumatic times with setting my alarm off, I was finally able to disarm it (I hope). The company couldn't come look at it as it is technically not an active account. So my only options were to pay a fee to activate it and change the code or disarm it by disconnecting the wires. I hope that it is fixed now!

With all the drama yesterday, I did not get a workout in. So back to the gym for me today. But I forgot my running shoes, should be interesting!
Closed Thread