Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Got a really good workout in last night and plan to do so again tonight at the gym. Then tomorrow night is Callanetics again, sheesh my abs are hurting already!

Abi, I was able to get my rings on this morning so definitely going in the right direction. Probably some unknown salt in something I ate. Congrats on being able to make it until 3 without eating! Now you know you can do it again if you want, just gotta set your mind to it

Clanger, for now I am doing an every other 24-hour fast. It is just an experiment. I usually do the JUDDD-style cycling as you mentioned and probably will be returning to that soon depending on Saturday's weigh in.

FF, hope that today is much better for you!

Tony, woot woot!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #212
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
artemis, congrats on the workout...seems like the IR thing you are doing is agreeing with you now that your body has settled into it...

i just finished my workout, had an hb egg white and two big glasses of water...it's hard to drink as much as i should when i am out and about, like i was yesterday, so i am trying to make up for it this morning...will be out again soon...

hope everyone is having a great day - let's finish january strong, team!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Love that weather report, Tony! Does your whole family eat the hot, hot chili and is it actually all that hot?

It is almost 1 and no food yet. I am starving but like you said, Artemis, if I could do it yesterday I can do it again today.

Getting another glass of water and then maybe a cup of decaf.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #214
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
thanks, Artemis...i am better, and just before i wolfed down lunch...

i was hungry as a bear. They were cheap with the critter portions today, so i made an Elaine Benes classic BIG SALAD!!! I ate it all too. The secret of doing salad, and keeping it low carb (for someone who only tolerated salad throughout his/her/its life)is to have lots of color, and diverse textures. Most of my salad was greens, but i added a bit of this, that and the other, and it was an avalanche(some snow peas)of flavor in my mouth. I wish u could have seen the choices I was compelled to turn down. have u ever seen a grown troll cry? Well, now i can start fantasizing about dinner. Is there a real difference between dinner and supper? Tony, u are quite the chef!!! I still limit myself to 3 ingredients or less, and no more than 15 minutes prep/cook time, except for the big boys like turkey, roasts, whole chickens, and meatloaf. FF
Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #215

thanks abi...it may have been the babybel cheese...

i like it, but every time i take a bite, i get a ringing sensation in my mouth FF
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

FF, you are a hoot!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #217
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Been lurking, just don't have the gumption to write much when not on plan.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, it sounded hotter than it was...my kids love it hot and my wife likes it mild, so i split the difference... :-) someone said it may snow/sleet tomorrow night!

vicki, you know better than that!...we are here for you when you are on plan or struggling...don't feel you don't belong - ever...we love you, girl...

ate a little more tonight - chili and chicken wings...still hungry and trying to stay out of the kitchen...
Old 01-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Just heard the weather about maybe freezing rain tonight. My sister may call to cancel taking over today with Mom. She has to drive down from Walpole. Time will tell.

Vicki, I know the feeling about not wanting to post when not on plan but I also know if I keep posting it will help me get back on plan quicker before too much damage is done. You can post anything and not have to say a word about how the eating is going at the moment. Just keep popping in every day. We do really miss you when we don't hear from you.

Artemis, I managed again to not eat any solid food until after 3. The scale finally showed a little movement in the right direction, down a pound. I don't get too excited. I have lost and gained that pound and several others too many times. Will try to go the distance again today.

I ate leftover chicken with the artichoke mixture cut up on a big salad plus a couple of the chicken tenders whole. It still tastes great to me. Next time I make it I will be very aware of the calorie and carbs and portion it out so I know exactly what i am eating.

Tony, I guess hot salsa is probably not all that hot once it gets all mixed up with the other ingredients. Does anyone put shredded cheese and sour cream on top of their chili?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #220

needing more sleep lately.

is it winter, old age, or a combo of the two? Damned if i know. This a.m., it took a great deal of will power to get me out of bed (it was usually my ex-wives who did that!!!). I had pizza last night with meatball, sausage and mushrooms, and a liberal sprinkling of garlic, oregano, and hot pepper flakes(pepperoncino). I just left off the crust. I ordered a whole SICILIAN pie. Pity I can't order a hit on my eating disorder. I will have enough for the rest of the week. I could not think of a better way to celebrate the Chinese New Year (let us not forget Marco Polo). Tomorrow is a day more important than my birthday(2/13, nod nod wink wink). It will not only be the birthday of Mozart (1/27/1756), but also the day that Octavian gave up his magistracies, and restored the Republic.Jan 27, 27 BC (the 5th day before the Kalends of Feb and the consulship of Octavian (now AUGUSTUS) and Marcus Agrippa, the 727th year from the founding of Rome). In gratitude, the senate gave him the name AUGUSTUS. I will get some goodies for the office. I will not have the time to get to THE BAKERY, for a goodie for me. I might make some DREAMFIELDS pasta this weekend along with whatever critter i will be ingesting. FF
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Boy I feel like someone let the air outta me this morning! I've seen slugs with more enthusiasm. I've got a long day at work then have to prepare for a presentation that I have to give at a meeting so I'm about to go down some caffeine.

Abi congrats on the pound! I am starting to feel anxious about the weigh in on Saturday.

Vicki, We're here for you!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis, good luck with the presentation!...and don't sweat the weigh-in - you've been working out a lot so expect some muscle gain...

abi, a pound is a pound!...good for you!...i chopped up some aged cheddar and sprinkled it on top of my chili and i love sour cream too but didn't add it this time to avoid the extra cals...

ff, i've been tired lately too - must be something in the northeast air...

woke up hungry...gonna eat an hb egg white, drink a big glass of water and get the heck out of the house to avoid all the food here!

hope y'all have a great day - my daughter is coming home from nashville for the weekend - picking her up tonight from the airport, so i can't wait!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #223

cafeteria held a tribute to Art Carney/Ed Norton.

How could I not pay my respects? I enjoyed a portion of chili con CARNE(y) over stringbeans. It had a few kidney beans in it, but as i am no longer on INDUCTION LEVEL carbs, it won't kill me. and if it does, i will go with a smile on my face. I had chili once before at Wendy's in 1984. When it comes to food, i remember every microsecond. Okay, that memory applies to PROFITS & OOMOX as well. Tonight i am going to Shoprite to get some refreshments(for the office-popcorn) for tomorrow's historical day. I will save the pizza for another day, and pick something that looks good...perhaps one of those pre cooked chickens. We shall see.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Hi, all. I realized this week that a few times I went off plan last week actually were due to unrecognized hunger signals. Apparently, I must have some really subtle ones (including craving inappropriate foods) that I don't yet recognize -- but when I go ahead with a scheduled healthy meal, the cravings and fantasies about those foods completely disappear. It isn't it great all the weird games our brains come up with?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

great observation, shadows...thanks for sharing...i think it's true!

ff, i love those rotisserie chickens...easy and tasty...

had baked chicken tonight - sarah requested a chicken and potato dish her mom makes, and i skipped the potatoes...i'm still hungry but it is after curfew so i'm gonna try a big glass of water... :-)

Last edited by tony8; 01-26-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Left the house very early because it was raining and temp was 33. I was afraid it would drop a degree and then I would be in a very precarious situation.

My brother and sister in law are having their annual snow shoe party tomorrow night. John makes a trail in back of their property up and down some little hills, over a small stream in a loop back to the house. He has a huge bonfire with some old christmas trees etc. in it that really blaze up. He puts luminaries all along the trail. Lovely. Too bad it will probably be an icy treck. Lynne makes turkey chili and hamburg chili, cold cuts and people bring desserts. I will try to get by for a quick visit. I decided to make a no flour, artificial sugar batch of brownies for me and my niece. Lizzie has an immune disease and Dr. wants her eating low carb. She is also trying to stay away from all wheat products.
The recipe is from Dr. Davis the Wheat Belly author. I had to change the recipe somewhat and only ate about 2 bites of a little brownie to give it a taste test. It was not bad. Very rich.

Shadows, lol, yes, our brains do come up with weird games. Glad you figured out if you have a good, planned meal those cravings go away.

FF, your co-workers are going to miss you next year when you retire and are not bringing them goodies.

Tony, enjoy Sarah's visit this weekend. When do you go back to Nashville for a song writing session?

Artemis, hope the caffeine helped perk you up and your presentation went well. My one pound down is still gone so now I am getting excited. I did another day of waiting until 3 to eat solid food. It would be wonderful if this continues to work for me.

I had the brownie bites, a big salad and two bratwursts with spicy brown mustard yesterday.

Have a great day all!

Last edited by Abigale; 01-27-2012 at 02:27 AM..
Old 01-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

oops, double post

Last edited by Abigale; 01-27-2012 at 02:25 AM..
Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #228

HAPPY MOZART'S BIRTHDAY, HEWMONS!!!

For those of u who have little or no exposure to his creativity, may i recommend his concerto for harp, flute and orchestra? If that doesn't get y'all, nothing will. If today was not the anniversary of what I had discussed in a previous thread, and it was not Friday, i might not have had the je ne sais quoi, to get my ET carcass out of bed. But here i am. I got 2 different kinds of microwavable popcorn for my colleagues, plus a can of SHOPRITE corn niblets (low sodium). after all, some people might prefer their corn unpopped. It falls to me to anticipate the needs of the community. I think the salads have done me good. I am starting to feel much better since the Nov/Dec endulgences. Talk to y'all later. Love & Profits:FLAT-SPQR-FERENGHI
Old 01-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

My presentation isn't until this morning. It's fairly informal but it's the first time I've had to show my work in lab meeting and I am a reflection of my boss so just want to represent her well.

Gotta drink lots of water today as tomorrow morning is my designated weigh-in. My body looks and feels different so hopefully the scale will reflect the same.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #230

the rain is finishing up here in the big snAPPLE.

It will be dry by the time i go home. As it happens, I finished the crustless pizza last night, just to make room in the fridge. I think I will take home something for dinner from the cafeteria. This weekend i will be doing some major walking with my new cassette walkman. No rain expected for the next few days. If there is nothing from work suitable, i will have porkchops, as i have not had them for quite some time. I put some low carb marinara sauce (1 T plus garlic, oregano and pepperoncino)per chop-and only 2 chops, and then nuke 1 thin slice of mozzarella per chop; with some salad or sauted veggies or both. I know your presentation will be a success, Artemis. Don't sweat the scale. Life is too short. FF
Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, those pork chops sound yummy...happy to hear you are feeling better!...

artemis, good luck on the presentation!...i'm betting the scale will be kind - it certainly SHOULD!

abi, i will be in nashville the week of the 6th, and maybe again the week of the 27th - the second will be a family trip when my wife and son are on school vacation...it is sooo nice having sarah home...last night all five kids were here for dinner - they were all so happy to be together and we were so happy to have them all together with us...

avoided eating after curfew last night but it took willpower...funny, i thought i was so hungry, but i haven't eaten a thing last night or yet today and i'm not hungry at all, so it goes to show ya how much of our desire to eat is psychological, or at least not tied to actual need...sometimes we just gotta wait it out!

will try to drink a lot of water today...have a great day, kids!

Last edited by tony8; 01-27-2012 at 07:47 AM..
Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #232

the cafeteria does it again!!!

i took fish and chicken for home. the fish had some sweated onions (that kitchen is really hot. the chicken had multi-colored pepper slices. i took 2 drumsticks from the chicken to have with my multi-colored salad. I prefer to get my vitamins and minerals from food if possible, and supplement it with supplements. I actually got some of the salad into my mouth. i was really, really hungry. No one was watching. I am better behaved when others are at the table. FF--
Old 01-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Presentation went smoothly, thanks guys!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Congrats on the presentation, Artemis.

You know, Tony, the whole body/psychology thing is weird. I've been very focused on establishing a regular eating schedule for the last few weeks. There are times when I think something emotional is going on (sadness, depression, frustration, etc.) -- but then I realize it's meal time and I eat, and the symptoms disappear as if by magic. So apparently I have trouble telling the difference between genuine emotional states and low blood sugar induced ones.

FF, Happy Mozart's Birthday! That cafeteria sounds like a handy thing. Wouldn't mind one of those around here.

Abi, your family's snow shoe party traditions sound wonderful. So does the chili.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Thanks for the Chilli Chicken recipe, Tony. Duly added to my list of things to try!

To be honest, I can't stand the sight of food at the moment (well, specifically red meat, ham and eggs - I'm sure I could wolf down a pizza, though ). I have meatloaf in the fridge and I can't think of anything less appetising. I hate wasting food but I think I might have to in this instance.

The snow show party sounds absolutely wonderful, Abigale - I hope you made it and had a fabulous time with your family.

Quite pleased as I managed to get out of a social situation which would ordinarily have ended up with having quite a lot of alcohol mid-week. I'm learning to say no (finally - it's taken the best part of 40 years !) and left the pub after two sparkling waters .

I'l be going over to a friend's house this evening, where I'm sure I'll have one or two (or three or four ) gin and tonics and some nice food, but I've planned it in and am going to enjoy it, and faithfully record it on ****** (and then be horrified at the calorie count, carb count and percentage of calories from alcohol).

I guess it's about balance - I'm normally very low carb / fairly low calorie during the week (< 20g / around 1300), and tend to splurge a little on a Friday and/or Saturday (though still remaining low carb). As long as it doesn't spill into mid-week, then I think I should be ok.

How does anyone else manage weekends? Do you tend to eat (or drink) differently than during the week, and being away from the work routine?

Have a great weekend all!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Artemis glad the presentation went well for you and hoping you see good results on the scale today!

Shadows, thanks for the comment on the family tradition. It should be fun. I wonder how many of us think we are having emotional ups and downs and it really is our blood sugar. Interesting!

FF, I could just picture those pork chops - like a work of art. Enjoy the walking this weekend on nice dry sidewalks.

Still keeping off the lost pound but yesterday was the hardest so far not eating before 3. Day 3 of any sort of plan I start is always the hardest. Will try again today. Tomorrow will be regular breakfast after Church then I will decide Monday if I am going back to the 3pm eating. Yesterday I had two low carb brownie bites, a salad with chicken on top and 1/2 leftover bratwurst.

Tony, having your whole family together is so nice. There are 5 of us in our family and we love to all get together too. Of course there are 9 children from the 5 now and 10 children from the 9! So look what you have to look forward to down the road!

Have a wonderful Saturday all!

Last edited by Abigale; 01-28-2012 at 03:09 AM..
Old 01-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Clanger! I eat about the same day in and day out. I guess if I had weekends off I would do like you. I would watch it real well during the week and relax a little on the weekends. I have my red wine with dinner all week long which is now between 3 and 5 and have done this all through my low carb woe.

The party is tonight and I still hope to go for a bit.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:29 AM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, that's a big family...my kids are not rushing into getting married and having kids (my oldest just turned 27) and i'm happy about that, but the grandchildren count projection is being revised down each year...

have fun at the party - it sounds like it will be a blast...the rain yesterday pretty much melted what was left of the snow, but i'm okay with that...i LOVE this winter!...on your fasting plan, after several days, you might want to switch things up and eat a light breakfast and then try to go all day til dinner...you don't want your body to get too used to one routine and adjust to starvation mode...

shadows, interesting about the blood sugar...i am finding i have a false hunger trigger - it is habit more than hunger - at a certain time of night and while watching tv, my brain tells me it is time for a snack...when i really plug into my hunger gauge, i am not hungry, but my brain says i am...very weird...if i can break that trigger, i will have made a huge leap in this battle...

clanger, i think that's a good strategy - you must be losing weight...i am trying to manage my eating, by eating small snacky meals for breakfast and lunch on weekdays and then spend most of my daily calories on a moderate, on-plan dinner...on the weekends, i do relax a bit but i am trying to eat just one larger meal and two snacky meals on those days too, although the timing may vary based on social plans...i do expand my menu a bit on weekends with the goal of staying away from sugar and starches, but not worrying as much about calories...

forgot to post that i weighed in at 221 yesterday, which was down a pound from tuesday and down 4.2 lbs. for the week...don't congratulate me too much as that all represented recent weight gain!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Well the scale was kind, down 3 pounds! My focus is more on losing fat and inches, and toning up now so I am hoping that is mostly fat weight and not just fluid. I am going shopping today (maybe for a new car <insert girly squeal>). I woke up hungry but am in my fasting period so will have to wait until around 3. I am finding that 3 pm in the afternoon until 3 the following afternoon is working best for me for fasts. I am doing every other day but may cut back to a couple of days a week. Not sure yet.

Clanger, I wouldn't worry too much about splurging a bit now and then. It's actually a part of maintaining a WOE for life. I tend to think (and some people disagree) that if you tell yourself you can't have <insert fav food> for the rest of your life that you are setting yourself up for failure and a potential off track downhill slide. I think it's far better to plan your off-plan indulgences ahead of time so that you can "be good" before and after that planned event. Or at least it has helped me.

Tony, you should congratulate yourself and use it as motivation to keep on keepin' on!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Managed to get to the party for an hour from 5 to 6. Most people were coming after 6 so don't know yet how many showed up. Had a small bowl of chili which was delicious and walked about half of the route through the woods. The pine smell was wonderful and it was still a little light out. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

I did end up eating some earlier in the day because I knew I couldn't last until the party at 5. Still keeping the pound off today. Yay!

Artemis, wonderful about the 3 pounds and I bet it was fat and not water. How did the car shopping go! Love a new car!

Will def. check back later but we have company staying upstairs at Mom's ( older sister, my niece and her two little ones) so will have to get off the computer until later.

Have a wonderful Sunday all!
Closed Thread