Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
SEARS may have some. the lady with whom i spoke on the phone, said that if the model i wanted was not in stock, they WILL order it for me. I will get 2 of them. It is a foregone conclusion that if i am having this much difficulty now, then when the one i order has worn out its parts, there will be no more. the one I want is THE most expensive one...double deck, and both recording, and both auto reverse, dolby b, c, & hx pro. Worthy of a Ferenghi, to be sure. Well, we shall see.
Oh, FF, this is like the quest for the ark of the covenant. Your search is reminiscent of a famous British TV ad from the 1970s...

Have you tried the Yellow Pages, by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
for dinner i baked chicken breasts, topped with sliced tomato and melted pepper jack cheese - it was soooo good!
Oooh, gooey spicy cheese - yummy!

I'm having tandoori king prawns tonight - can't wait.

Congrats, Gibby, on your weightloss!

Hope everybody has a great day!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Cute ad Clanger!

Artemis, I did fast five for quite awhile where I only ate during a 5 hour window of around 1 to 6pm. I stopped that quite awhile ago. I am interested in hearing about the new way of intermittent fasting. Your gut feeling about not becoming more than friends was probably a good decision. Nohttp://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=15338550w you know the real feelings he has for your family and it would be a rough row to hoe with him down the road.

FF, smart to buy two of the cassette players because you are probably right, sooner or later they will be no more. Also, if player number one never breaks down you can probably get a bundle for the (never been used still in the box) player from the "Traveling Road Show".

Tony, are you enjoying looking for your investment property? I asked my sister in law about the Farm Table restaurant. She said they saw it but it was not open yet the day they went to the candle shop.She said there was a delay from the opening due to Irene. I have never been to nicola's in Keene but you can't go wrong with Italian food! He will put on the dog for your group I'm sure!

Had a salad, tuna with mayo, some cheese, and ground beef with green peppers yesterday.

Have a great day all!

Last edited by Abigale; 01-18-2012 at 04:09 AM..
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #153
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i have tried the YELLOW PAGES.

no go. I think i will be successful at SEARS. Tony, I do something similar with chicken breasts. I spoon 1 T of Victoria marinara sauce over the cooked breast, add my spices, then i nuke it for about 30 seconds until the sauce heats up. then i add a slice of mozzarella on top and nuke it for about 15-20 seconds until the cheese is melted. Since I have made up my mind about the retirement date, I feel like a senior in high school waiting for graduation day. However, i WILL NOT cut any classes (having a buddy who worked in the attendance office did not hurt. what (earth)mother doesn't know won't hurt her. No, I will only stay home if i am dying. Otherwise, just my vacation time, and holiday time. If we don't use them we lose them. I get paid for any UNUSED sick time up to 60 days, and unused vacation time, when i retire. Tony, are u looking for commercial or residential property? FF
Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Really sore in my rib cage this morning...not sure what I must have done at the gym last night. Maybe pulled a muscle? But I did get a good workout in!

Abi, the IF article was based on the 24 hour fasting period every other day - similar to JUDDD or zig-zag method where we eat 500 calories on down days only those would be complete fasts on this program. But, instead of eating one day and not the next like it has been done before, this guy and his wife tried it as follows:
day 1: skip breakfast and lunch, eat dinner
day 2: eat breakfast and lunch, skip dinner
day 3: skip breakfast and lunch, eat dinner, and so on
So that way they are still going 24 hrs fasting but still getting to eat every calender day so it makes it a little easier psychologically. I have no idea how effective it is or if it's even healthy. But a lot of scientific research is being published about the benefits of fasting on occasion. Just thought it was interesting.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #155

i believe that fasting to a limited degree IS healthy.

However, whether it was skipping 1 meal a day, or abstaining from food altogether for a few days, when I returned to NORMAL eating patterns, i invaraiably put whatever weight loss i achieved back plus more lbs. it requires someone with a stronger will than I. I have developed patience over the years, but not a whisper of will power. best of luck in your fasting endeavors. FF
Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hi guys!

clanger, that was a great ad...thanks for sharing - you are once again becoming the entertainment in our blitz... :-)

abi, i was thinking looking for property would be more fun - with the economy supposedly so bad, i thought there would be more good stuff available, but so far it has been slim pickings...ff, i am looking for commercial property primarily, although i may include a nashville condo in the mix...

i really don't want calls from residential tenants telling me their toilet overflowed, while i am trying to write a song - now THAT would be a drag!...commercial tenancies are lower maintenance...I HOPE!

artemis, if you do that kind of IF, please let us know how it works for you - i'm curious...

i must have been dehydrated when i lost weight when i had a cold, because i am back up to 222.4, even though i have been eating very light and on plan...i have had some salt and not drinking enough to flush as well...

man, this is hard!

today:
b: 2 oz. leftover chicken
l: skipped
d: leftover chicken?

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 01-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #157

do't skip the chick for too long.

u will not want to eat it after day 3. I regret that there are no epic poets around in the calibre of Homer (not Simpson), or Vergil. I am certain that my quest for an audio cassette deck is on a par with the Odyssey and the Aeneid. It would be quite nice to be immortalized in dactylic hexameter; not profitable, of course, but nice. Love & Profits: FLAT(wow and flutter)FERENGHI
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
FF, I feel your pain. I'm going through a similar dilemma with my analogue VCR. I had 2 TVs with built-in VCRs. One died a few years back. Then the VCR part of the last one died. No prob, I thought. I'll go pick up an external VCR and connect it with a jack. Except that no one makes them anymore (by law, now). I still thought, no biggie, I'll hit secondhand and pawn shops. So far, no luck there either. And, sense I no longer watch TV, I am not shelling out for a new TV or digital VCR. I have a huge movie collection on videotape that there is NO WAY I am paying to buy again on DVD. So the hunt continues.

Tony, any carbs in your meds? Or taking any meds that cause weight gain? I've had a nasty shock there a few times. Like finding 4g carbs in one sugar-free cough drop.

Lately, I am on a baked casserole kick. Basically some sort of cooked ground meat, vegies, eggs and water (instead of milk/cream), herbs and spices. They are easy, fast, cheap and last for a few days in the fridge. And are easily varied by the choice of vegies, meat, and spices. You could add cream or cheese if you do dairy, for a little variety, and add toppings if you like. I used ground chuck for the meat on the last one, with greens and mushrooms for the vegies. Then, when it was about half done (enough so the eggs had solidified), I smoothed a layer of mustard over the top and let it finish baking. Delicious!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

shadows, that's a good question...my plan is low carb but not no carb, so i'm not sure if a few grams would make much of a difference...i think some of this weight is water, but even if it is, i have not lost anything in 4 months, so i need to change something...

i am obviously eating more calories than i am burning, so i have to develop a new strategy - my 42nd new strategy of these 8 blitzes! :-)
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning Blitzers!

Don't have time to write at the moment. My afternoon and evening off so will check back in later. Have a wonderful day!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

It's day 4 in this method of IF'ing for me. The only thing I can notice so far is that I am weaker overall and thus, don't have much energy for my workouts. It may be a first week feeling and may improve as my body gets used to it. However, if that is not the case and I am going to feel like this all the time then I will take it down to 1 or 2 24-hr fasting periods weekly instead of every other day. The whole point of trying it for me was that a lot of athletes and weight-lifters have used it to burn fat and gain muscle and I would really just like to tone up and lose inches at this point more so than pounds. But, if I can't get my workouts in, it kinda defeats the purpose. We shall see! I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
LC-I Googled "VCR's for sale" and found quite a few sites where they sell them. I hope that helps you.

The scale is doing it's weekly up and down dance. As long as I have a loss by Monday AM, I'll be happy.

Still haven't connected with India/Dell to get my CD's loaded to my hard drive so I can function. If I don't hear from them by the end of Sunday, I'll contact a computer repair service here in town and have them come help me.

Things are fine except for the above

Hey Vicki - where the heck are you?

Marilee
Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
It's day 4 in this method of IF'ing for me. The only thing I can notice so far is that I am weaker overall and thus, don't have much energy for my workouts.
I'll be interested to hear how that works out for you, Artemis. I never worked out like you do, but was doing physical therapy when I first did Fast5 (in my case, more like Fast6). I scheduled my physical therapy sessions (which included some resistance training) in the middle of my window. So if my window was noon to 6, I'd do them at 3, with a substantial meal at noon, a snack after therapy and a light meal just before the window closed. No idea if that would be effective if you are doing heavy lifting or intense workouts. Have you been over to Marks Daily Apple? He does both IF and intense workouts. He probably has some columns on training and IF, or would answer questions on his blog if you sent them in. I think the guy who runs the Intermittent Fasting web site also works out.

Tony, I'd agree that a few carbs probably wouldn't hurt that much, but meds can add up quickly. For those cough drops, for example, I was taking 6 per day -- which adds up to 24g/day. Since I was on an Atkins72 plan back then, it pretty much doubled my carb intake overnight. But, you know, sugar-free cough drops sounded so harmless... When I did the absolutely sugar-free year in 2010, I noticed that even my ibuprofen tablets tasted of sugar once my tastebuds had grown unaccustomed to it. No idea how many grams in them, since medical products don't require nutritional labeling.

Abi, sounds like you're doing well. Regards to your lovely mother.

FF, likely to be easier to find the tape player than a good Vergil or Homer. You'd be lucky to get poetry that wasn't about vampires, zombies or delivered in a rap rhyme.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #164

for cough drops, i use sugar free RICOLA.

the trick is not to eat them like candy. i am enjoying my salads. we have a salad bar at work, and the choices i make are really colorful. There is another one in Brooklyn, off the Knapp St exit of the Belt Pkwy in a place called KNAPP BAGELS right across the street from the Sheepshead Cinema. forget the popcorn, jujubes, and whatnot, and do the salad bar. tons of low carb choices in that place. Everytime I go there the $ per lb is up, so i do not get there as often as i would like. I abandoned the KETOGENIC low carb plan. I keep it at 40 NET grams or less. the only STARCH is the low carb bread, bagel, or pita (AND i am extremely careful of the portions). In my salads, i include a very small amt of legumes like 5 kidney beans for color, as well as 2 or 3 pieces of penne, and about 7 corn niblets. Otherwise, i stick with SALAD SALAD. I use nuts instead of croutons, and as low carb a dressing as i can find, and only 2 T. My salads are as fresh as possible, and never look the same. That keeps them interesting, and exciting. Getting back to technology, I had bought at Radio Schlock, a number of years back, in the very early 2000s, a VHS/DVD deck. so far, so good. I have gotten rid of over 200 vhs tapes (most of which were unplayable, but also because who has the time or space?). there will be another purge before this year is out. But I will still have a healthy amount that i want to keep. We will have to be creative to get what we want. As far as terran technology goes, I am yesterday's news. FF
Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Got home at noon and have been cleaning ever since. Now I am ready for a glass of wine!

FF, I am eating tuna salads the last couple of days. Lettuce with olive oil and vinegar on the bottom, a small can of tuna with mayo on top like a sundae. They are very soul satisfying and delicious. Also have been munching on pork rinds dipped into Franks buffalo wing sause. Also very good.

Well, it is 30 minutes later and I am back. Where is my "free time" today? I will probably lose this whole post by not writing it all at once. ugh

Clanger, your casseroles sound delicious. I am supposed to come up with some kind of quiche for Sunday breakfast and you have given me some good ideas.

Artemis, I wish I could do some real fasting. In my younger years it was easy but now it is just too difficult. Hope it works for you!

Marilee, hope you can get your Dell working again real soon. I hate being without a computer. It is my main link with the outside!

Tony, hope you start finding some good investment properties. No, you don't want to have renters calling you with leaks etc. Not condusive for artistic creativity!

Have a good evening everyone!

Last edited by Abigale; 01-19-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Thanks, Abi. Thankfully, I have my computer at work so I'm still in touch with the world and my emails that are sent to my home computer.

Have a great evening everyone1
Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

No gym for me this evening cuz I had to work late. Will be working late tomorrow night too...ugh surgeries and dissections out the wazoo!! Will have to at least get some abs and strength training in at home and will do long workouts this weekend.

FF, I too had a delicious salad today for lunch! Love a good salad bar
Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey guys!

artemis, sometimes it does take our bodies a week or so to adjust to new WOE - hope the energy level ticks up or i agree you should abandon that particular method...

marilee, i'm sure you will be down by monday...sorry about the computer...

abi, i get into grooves where i LOVE tuna salad...hope you enjoyed your day off...

ff, let me know if you need help with the cassette deck...

shadows, you are probably right - the one thing i take which seems to have coincided with my most recent stall is fish-oil pills - i don't think those have carbs, but i'm not sure...they may be high in calories...the other stuff i take are aspirin, a multi-vitamin and bp meds...no cough drops...

i am going to try implementing a 9 p.m. curfew again, 5 days a week, as i find myself grazing late in the evening and those cals add up...
Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

3 inches of snow on the ground this morning. I can take that. More due tomorrow. Hope it is just a little bit again.

I did enjoy my afternoon and evening off yesterday, Tony even though I did spend over 3 hours cleaning. I had time to visit an older relative that I hadn't seen in several weeks. My eating was unusual but fairly moderate for me. I munched on the pork rinds over the afternoon and then for dinner just had a green salad with no tuna because I wasn't starving as I ususally am at night. The franks buffalo sausce has only 45 cal per tablespoon, 0 fat and 0 carbs. It is just hot enough that just a tad per bite hits the spot.

Hope everyone has a great Friday!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi abi, i love frank's!...i mix it in with chicken wings all the time...

i may try a water fast for at least most of today...feeling a little bloated...
Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

okay, i am drawing a line in the sand at the 223.4, i weighed in at today - NO HIGHER!...will flush with just water until dinner and then eat light and nothing after 9 p.m....i gotta turn this ship around and i know how to do it!...

hope everyone else is having a great day!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #172

the lady at Sears was most charming and helpful.

she used to work in brassieres, but was promoted upstairs to major appliances. she once assisted my mom when my mom was shopping for bras. I do not know how difficult it is to get a good fitting bra (but i DO know how easy it is to remove one HaHa). The price to order that TEAC double deck was with s&h and tax almost twice the price as quoted online. Who is the FERENGHI here anyway? HOWEVER, none in the warehouse either. I have one more place to check on Sunday, then I will ask a friend at work to order it online, and I will give him the cash. I was able to use my $15.00 gift card at BESTBUY. For $6.00 and change I got the Bocelli in Central Park concert (cd AND dvd.)Even the regular price ($19.99)is a good deal. And now, from the sublime to the ridiculous; there was a COKE machine near the restroom at Sears. I was really thirsty for an ice cold crisp diet coke. Now (ready for this? )the sign on the machine said "Soda $1.00; Non-carb soda $1.65" !!! Exclamation points are mine. I am ashamed to tell you I spent the $1.65. Outside of a fire, I will be inside till Sunday morning. Have a GLORIOUS WEEKEND y'all. FF
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i never found removing a bra "easy" at all - and god knows i was motivated!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Got my exercise yesterday shoveling Mom's drive, walk and ramp. May get it again today but the snow has not started yet. It was light and fluffy yesterday so not bad.

I wish I could go with just water until dinner and then eat. My weight gain and trouble losing would be stopped in its tracks, Tony. Hope you will have some good results with that, at least to get you started.

FF, enjoy your warm weekend inside. I think letting your buddy at work order the cassette deck and paying him cash is a good idea and save all that money to use on more great music.

Shadow, Mom was tickled when I said you called her "lovely" and sent your regards! Thanks!

Had tuna salad and pork rinds yesterday.

Have a great Saturday everyone!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

If I was one of the crayons in the crayola box, I'd be blue today! Still having problems with my friend! As if I need more drama in my life...

On day 6 of the IF method. Feeling better energy-wise and the 24 hour fasts are getting easier.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis, is the IF affecting the scale yet?...i may try that too as i am going to have to get more restrictive...

abi, i can take this kind of snowfall - 2-3 inches at a time :-)

well, so much for drawing the line at 223.4, as today i am 225.2!...i ate almost nothing yesterday, so i just have to keep my wits about me and weather this...i am sooooooo determined to start losing serious weight now...today i am going to drink as much water as i can stand as i will be home and able...gotta get some more acv - i've been out for a couple of weeks...

today, so far:
b: skipped
l: skipped
d: tuna salad?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #177

so glad it is working for u, Artemis

i wish i had the courage to go without even 1 meal, it WOULD do THIS BODY good! I have the fan on, even though it is cold and snowy outside, it is too warm inside. Tomorrow, I am getting out. FF
Old 01-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Shadow, Mom was tickled when I said you called her "lovely" and sent your regards! Thanks!
I'm glad of that. Her picture pops into my mind every time you mention her. Abi, it sounds like you're on as bizarre a food kick as I am. What are you doing with the Frank's BBQ sauce -- putting it on the pork rinds or the tuna? I know my casserole kick hasn't yet abated because I found myself wondering if it would be good on a casserole.

Artemis, glad the fasts are getting easier.

FF, I used to keep up with technology until they went from making a new technology obsolete once every 10 years to making it obsolete once every 3 years. I mean, you barely get it paid off and it's obsolete and you can't buy them anymore. Geez.

Tony, I enjoyed Intermittent Fasting when I was doing it. It certainly kept me from nighttime snacking. If my doc hasn't asked me to try the 3-meals-a-day thing, I'd probably still be doing it.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Shadows! I am dipping my pork rinds in the franks but I made a frittata for our after church breakfast this morning that I think I will put a little on the side to dip the egg into if it needs a little perking up. Need to give it the taste test. I used 8 eggs, 1/4 cup of cream, a can of diced tomatoes with green peppers and onion well drained, a small can of mushroom pieces and a pack of shredded cheese that had 7 different cheeses in it. I will let you know what they think.

Tony and FF, I can't fast long enough to get by with no cream in my coffee. I think if I could be at home for one full day I could get in an all day fast and then eat dinner. I would have a different mind set. So many big projects to do there, it would keep my mind off food. Still up 4 pounds from my long term weight. I am waiting for people to say "have you gained some weight?" I was hoping to never hear that again.

Artemis, does your friend work with you so you have to see them all the time or is he back in Arkansas and this is over the phone? It would be too bad if he loses his friendship with you over this.

Another shoveling day yesterday. Even easier than the day before. Didn't have to pick the shovel up off the ground, just pushed the snow to the side like a snow plow. Tony, I am waiting for the big one with trepidation!! But, hey we had a great Nov., Dec, and now 3/4 of the way through Jan. Come on Spring!

FF, it should be a nice day to get out and get a walk in. Sidewalks should be clear now, high of 28 and some sun.

How are Vicki, Clanger and Marilee doing?

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Last edited by Abigale; 01-22-2012 at 02:16 AM..
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Tony, I haven't weighed in a while so I don't know if there are changes on the scale. I just wanted to focus on a plan for a bit and workout hard and see if I can notice any changes without the scale. I was a bit too obsessed with it. But I will probably weigh in another week. For now, I FEEL thinner...but that is not always an indication of the scale numbers!

Abi, yes he lives in a different city which I am incredibly thankful for. I don't want to lose friendships either (because they are hard to come by these days) but I also don't want to get lured into something I don't want to do to make someone else happy or just to keep someone around. I have told him that I want us to remain friends but he has pretty much given me an ultimatum. I may just have to cut the string then

It was too cold to go running yesterday so I did Callanetics last night instead. WOW! Talk about intense! My abs are like, "Girl what were you thinkin'"
Closed Thread