Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Vicki, I would love to get off the dairy cream also. Think I tried the coconut cream before one time. Maybe I will give it another shot. Sorry the detox did not totally do the yeast die off for you. Hoping getting rid of the dairy will do the trick.

I had a real rough time last night tempted to get into some sweets. I thought, would I be happy with one? Can I stop at one? I knew I couldn't and would open up the flood gates. So I chewed a piece of peppermint sugarless gum and it got me through the crises by the skin of my teeth.

Ha Ha, Tony, I forgot you guys are immune to stress. How is the head cold today? On its way out I hope.

Jenny!! Happy New Year! Happy you are motivated and on a downward trend!

Marilee, so sorry the knee is giving you pain. Hope you can stay off it over the weekend and let it relax some.

FF, Herrenchiemsee was the King Ludwig castle we did get to while stationed in Germany. Took a boat out to the island it was on. It was lovely.

Need to run to the hardware store to get a metal trash can for our wood stove ashes while Mom is sleeping. Will check in later! Have a good one!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Weigh in today: 208.8 Wahoo. My short term goal is to be back in the 100's. I can't remember the last time. Probably around a year ago.

Oh, just an FYI about restaurant food. It may look like a chicken breast, but this is the list of ingredients for the GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD from McDonalds. The 'chicken breast' is anything but just chicken!

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet ingredients: Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates. CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT. Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservative), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs

Last edited by vli1127; 01-07-2012 at 08:50 AM..
Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Well I got 4 miles in today, yippee! I jogged the first 2, then jog/walked the second two.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey guys,
was gone all day today - first to my son's wrestling match an hour+ north of us, and then to a lori mckenna concert 1 1/2 hours south of us...just got back...

vicki!...congrats on the losses, girl!...i'm so proud of you!...keep it up...

artemis, 4 miles is AWESOME!

abi, the cold was much better today and that is a relief!...i was a MESS yesterday... :-)

ate very little today - two tangerines and some peanuts combined for breakfast and lunch, and a 4 oz piece of salmon and small salad at a restaurant tonight...the kids got calzones and i was hungry and tempted to eat the filling when i got home, but i drank a huge glass of water instead and will go to sleep soon...

218.6 today...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 01-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, fantastic! You are so close to the 100's! This is going to be a great year! And ew on the chicken ingredients. I will steer clear of that!

Artemis, you are going to town on the running. How are you feeling this week.

Had another difficult afternoon and evening feeling really tempted. Managed to hold on though. Scale is staying the same, but not going up so I am glad.

Tony, glad the head cold is better. Your day sounded great yesterday. Good going on resisting the calzone filling! You asked about Mom. She continues to have her ups and downs. Still spending most of day in bed. She is up now while I am feeding her breakfast but will ask to go back to bed shortly. Her bed has been in what used to be the dining room years ago. We sit around her drinking coffee and watching tv and chatting with her. She feels pretty good as long as she doesn't have to sit up. Thanks for asking!

Hope you all have a great Sunday!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, fantastic! You are so close to the 100's! This is going to be a great year! And ew on the chicken ingredients. I will steer clear of that!

Artemis, you are going to town on the running. How are you feeling this week.

Had another difficult afternoon and evening feeling really tempted. Managed to hold on though. Scale is staying the same, but not going up so I am glad.

Tony, glad the head cold is better. Your day sounded great yesterday. Good going on resisting the calzone filling! You asked about Mom. She continues to have her ups and downs. Still spending most of day in bed. She is up now while I am feeding her breakfast but will ask to go back to bed shortly. Her bed has been in what used to be the dining room years ago. We sit around her drinking coffee and watching tv and chatting with her. She feels pretty good as long as she doesn't have to sit up. Thanks for asking!

Hope you all have a great Sunday!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Tony, sounds like a fun day.

Artemis, congrats on getting 4 miles in.

Abi, I hate it when I have to white knuckle those temptations, WTG

We didn't make it to Olive Garden as planned, with a one hour wait at 730 pm that was too long. We went to a Hawaiian grill and I had Spam Misuki or something like that and the chicken salad. I find I am not too fond of Spam. The salad was good, but while I am eating it I am thinking about the ingredients. This place is not a chain, so I am hoping the chicken was more real than McDs.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi guys!

vicki, spam on the dinner menu in a restaurant?...hmmm...congrats on another good day...

abi, i am really proud of you for resisting temptation in the face of serious cravings...that is the crux of what is so hard about this...and it is a major victory and character building and confidence building when we find that kind of will...we will not always use it, but knowing it is there when we need it gives us control...

i found some last night when i avoided the calzones and again this morning, when instead of the calzones, i had a plate of plain steamed broccoli and a big glass of water...i may allow myself some of the steak calzone filling later, as it is on-plan and i haven't eaten much the past few days, but every meal or snack where we are able to make a low-cal, low carb, healthy choice is another step toward our goal...

weighed in at 217.8 this morning - my first under 218 in some weeks...

Last edited by tony8; 01-08-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Getting some kitchen time in today. I made up a new recipe - low carb maple bars. They are still baking but so far they are making my house smell like pancakes. Then, this evening I will be making a new spaghetti squash casserole recipe (which I will also be making up!).

Sounds like everyone is doing great so far in the new year
Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis, maple bars sound yummy...if they are good, hope you will share the recipe...i should make spaghetti squash more often - it's so good!...

had a couple of steak tips for lunch...really good!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Sounds like everybody is really motivated at the moment, and things are going well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
I had a real rough time last night tempted to get into some sweets. I thought, would I be happy with one? Can I stop at one? I knew I couldn't and would open up the flood gates. So I chewed a piece of peppermint sugarless gum and it got me through the crises by the skin of my teeth.
Yay, Abigale, good for you! It's the cumulative effect of these small daily choices each day that'll guarantee success - well done ! I hope I have the same fortitude when tempted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Weigh in today: 208.8 Wahoo. My short term goal is to be back in the 100's. I can't remember the last time. Probably around a year ago.

Oh, just an FYI about restaurant food. It may look like a chicken breast, but this is the list of ingredients for the GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD from McDonalds. The 'chicken breast' is anything but just chicken!
OMG ! That list of ingredients is unbelievable!

I had a restaurant meal last night - tandoori lamb chops, tandoori haddock and a green salad - it was absolutely delicious and pretty low carb and healthy, I think ! The same can't be said for the gin and (no carb) tonics I washed it down with though .

Not long now, vli1127, until you're back in the hundreds!

Tony - I hope you recover soon from your 'man-flu'.

A strange day today - had a slight hangover this morning () and seem to have been picking at food, but it's all on plan stuff so I'm pleased.

I've made meatloaf and a spicy tomato and red pepper sauce today, so I'll take some of that to work tomorrow for lunch. Not sure about dinner - maybe more of the same, or a chicken fajita (minus the tortilla).

Another weekend over, back to work in the morning !
Old 01-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Just had my coconut bark and coffee with hwc for breakfast, and am delaying setting off for work because I don't want to go - like a petulant child not wanting to go to school!

Part of the reason is that my work clothes are really tight! My pants feel like they're going to saw me in half by the end of the day, and I live in constant fear of splitting them down the *rse crack one day in the middle of the office.

I will NOT give in, though, and buy a bigger size. One of my rules when I was losing successfully was that, as soon as I could get in a smaller size (albeit they might be tight) I would wear them, and I threw the larger size away. Therefore I have no 'fat' wardrobe at all. Both a blessing and a curse!

When it all went wrong and I started gaining, I was just on the cusp of getting into a UK size 12 pants. Now the size 14s I'm in are painfully tight. I can't wait until my pants fit again! Hopefully by the end of the month, they should be somewhat bearable.

Here's hoping I manage to go another day without humiliating mysef by ripping my trousers in public!

Have a great day, all!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Clanger, I enjoy your posts so much. I did the same with my slacks too. Hope yours start feeling loose very quickly!

Well, confession time. I did well for two days not giving in but fell off the wagon last night big time. The worst in two years. Fortunately it all tasted either disgusting, icky or iffy. I wrote myself a note last night while the feeling was fresh in my mind to read this morning in case I forgot how bad it all tasted. Back on the wagon today and for good I hope!!!!!

Will check back in later. Hope you all had a good weekend and will have a great Monday!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #74
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
Greetings, Hewmons. Exhausted & Monday.What a combo!!!

Tony, glad your cold is better. I did not know u had one. I hope your son did well in the wrestling match. I expect to have my computer back on Friday evening. I feel that i have been away from y'all for months. I did get the 2000 piece version. I was ready to have B & N order the other one, but the idiot there did not have his heart in it, so i decided to google it myself when my computer returns, then i will call them to order it. I am also making ever so gradual changes to declutter the place. I want it to look respectable by next year. Of course the living room looks nice. but, i would never invite anyone into the bedroom. Well, i just found a penny. Perhaps that will bring me some good luck. Talk to ya all later. FF
Old 01-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Hey FF! It seems like you have been gone forever too. Not having your computer this weekend was a bummer but it sounds like you started the New Year off right by starting to get rid of clutter. Need to do that too!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Good morning! Boy am I sore this morning! Guess I overdid it on the workouts this weekend because I could barely move when I rolled outta bed. The spaghetti squash was so good last night...I ate it "fake spaghetti" style with meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. The maple bars were pretty good too. The flavor was spot-on but they are too moist and falling apart...probably should add more coconut flour next time.

Clanger, I hear ya on the tight slacks! I am kinda in between sizes at the moment and some of my slacks are like that too. Days that I wear them I do a few practice squats and bends before leaving home to make sure they are not going to rip lol!

FF we are so happy to see your posts again!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/342.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Morning all!

A restaurant that serves Spam??? That is weird!

I'm down 1.6 pounds for the week last week. Not as much as I hoped for but a loss none the less.

I need to get working so I'll post more later.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Clanger, you and I are cut from the same cloth. I hated having to get bigger close as I rebounded.

Abi, confession is good for the soul. You can't hide anymore LOL.

Artemis, do you have a recipe for the maple bars?

Gibby, a loss is a loss. I guess Spam is popular in Hawaii and since it was a Hawaiian grill that we went to . . . .

ff, welcome back.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #79

it's great to be back!!!

what is this COCONUT CREAMER of which I am hearing (i am being very careful to put prepositions in their proper place, and NOT
Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #80

ffs (fat finger syndome, sorry).

and NOT at the end of a sentence). Otherwise, Sheldon will never let me hear the end of it. Lately, to save time, I am drinking my coffee black (no sweetener of any kind, of course)I am quite used to it. I actually started doing that in Jan 21,of 1974, but i do love coconut flavoring. Please enlighten the troll. FF
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Well, confession time. I did well for two days not giving in but fell off the wagon last night big time. The worst in two years. Fortunately it all tasted either disgusting, icky or iffy. I wrote myself a note last night while the feeling was fresh in my mind to read this morning in case I forgot how bad it all tasted. Back on the wagon today and for good I hope!!!!!
Good for you - at least you're back on track now. Do you know what triggered it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
The spaghetti squash was so good last night...I ate it "fake spaghetti" style with meat sauce and mozzarella cheese.
I see a number of references to spaghetti squash on the forum, but have no idea what it is ! I'm intrigued - could you give me a clue ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
Clanger, I hear ya on the tight slacks! I am kinda in between sizes at the moment and some of my slacks are like that too. Days that I wear them I do a few practice squats and bends before leaving home to make sure they are not going to rip lol!
Heee, artemis! I'm going to have to try that in the morning. It'll be like a Sumo wrestler getting ready for the next round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
I'm down 1.6 pounds for the week last week.
Round of applause for Gibby !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Clanger, you and I are cut from the same cloth. I hated having to get bigger close as I rebounded.
It's a nightmare, isn't it? I refuse to cave in ... but I'm in agony and can't go to the gym. Work clothes are one thing, but I don't think I could face the humiliation of my flab hanging out of my jogging bottoms. Think I'll give it another week, and if it's still as bad I may have to buy one pair of pants to see me through (as opposed to a pair of see through pants).

Tony... is this you ?

Well, a good day so far. My meatloaf with spicy tomato sauce for lunch was delicious, and I have just made some tandoori king prawns to stick on the grill for dinner. Not being very imaginative and living alone, I'll have to have the same again tomorrow.

How's everybody today?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi guys!

abi, last night's binge was building up for a few days and sometimes we simply need to give in, if for nothing else than to prove to ourselves that this change in our woe is not prison but a choice...we all have those days, and everyone here seems to climb back up on the horse afterward and move on...don't feel badly about it - it will happen again to all of us occasionally...it was good to document how the stuff tasted...my problem is that it tastes great but i feel crappy after i eat it :-)

ff, welcome back - we miss ya when you're gone...how was your menu this weekend?...

clanger, you are a hoot!...i think you should just put on some sexy underwear and let the pants do whatever they're gonna do! ;-) btw, spaghetti squash is similar to an acorn or butternut squash, but the flesh is stringy like spaghetti - has a sweetish flavor - delicious...that meatloaf sounds good!

marilee, congrats on the 1.6 lbs.!!!...that is a lot of weight to lose in 1 week!...

artemis, sorry you are so sore...remember not to overdo it!...that squash dinner sounds so yummy...

vicki, how is the post-surgery healing coming along?...

i feel so much better but my sense of smell is still not great which is suppressing my appetite and i'm tired enough at the end of the night that i'm not eating as much...this morning's weigh-in was 216.6, down 1.2 lbs. from yesterday, which is probably water...

today so far:
b: small yogurt
l: steak tip
d: leftover steak tips, i think

gonna try to drink a lot of water tonight too... :-)
Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Argh, I forgot my running shoes for the gym again today!! So I had to do the elliptical.

Clanger, as Tony pointed out a spaghetti squash is a winter squash, yellow in color and sort of long, that when cooked looks like spaghetti. So a lot of folks eat it as a noodle substitute. For me, I feel like I'm eating something starchy so it's comforting and soooo delicious! You can find them in most supermarkets now because they are in season. The hard part is getting them open!

Vicki, I sure will post the recipe for those bars as soon as I get it all written down.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
this change in our woe is not prison but a choice
Wise words, Tony - I really like that ! If we think 'restriction' it can make us seem powerless and perhaps inclined to rebel, but if we view the luscious food we can eat as a positive choice we've made for our well-being then perhaps we're more inclined to embrace the breadth of foods available to us and stay on plan. In theory anyway !

Quote:
ff, welcome back - we miss ya when you're gone...how was your menu this weekend?...
Yes, Mr FF, how did your weekend menu go?

Quote:
i think you should just put on some sexy underwear and let the pants do whatever they're gonna do! ;-)
Who needs pants anyway! I'm not even going to bother with them this morning - just whack my granny-knickers on and claim it's a fashion statement.

Thanks Tony and Artemis for the info on the squash! I hope they have it over here in the UK. I generally can't be bothered with vegetables - too much hassle - but I do miss something 'starch-like' sometimes if I'm having, say, a bowl of chilli or something. I think I may have a bag of Shirataki noodles still, which must be about 3 years old, stuck at the back of my cupboard ... which reminds me, where is our friend kbeth? The only woman brave enough to sample the unique fishyness of the Shirataki!

Quote:
i feel so much better but my sense of smell is still not great which is suppressing my appetite and i'm tired enough at the end of the night that i'm not eating as much...this morning's weigh-in was 216.6, down 1.2 lbs. from yesterday, which is probably water...
Glad you're feeling better Tony!

I managed to (barely ) get into a pair of pants this morning that I couldn't do up on 18th December. They're ridiculously tight and any loss of girth to date will likely be water, but I'm pleased nevertheless.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Pretty good day yesterday. No more sweet temptations. My sister surprised me at 2 and said she would take over for the rest of the day. She will still come back for Thursday too. I called Mom's Dr. to see if they could set up a visiting nurse to check in with us occasionally. They are working on that.

We didn't stay up to watch the game last night but I was thrilled to find out that Alabama had won the national championship.

Have to vote in the NH primary today and get oil changed in the car.

Hope you all have a great day. Plan to check back in later when I get a minute.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #86

water, water, everywhere...but FF not drinkin' it!!!

Lately, the only time i am drinking plain water is when the diet soda is frozen, or room temp. I like water, i am drinking it right now at 6:15 EST, because my soda is is frozen solid (that incl my FAYGO choc soda). i hope it thaws before lunch. As for my menu during the weekend, I do not remember. i know that i was on plan. but i was so pre-occupied with other things, that I just do not bloody remember. I eat grilled chicken Caesar salad at McD as one of my regular things to eat. When i am on plan McD never stalled me, so i will continue enjoying it and its Angus brothers. If i was that concerned, i would mate 2 calves, raise them and butcher them to guarantee an organic steak for dinner. That is hardly practical, and the landlord would not tolerate it. So, i will continue to eat food tainted with hormones and other "stuff". My goal now is not so much to get to goal, but to get below 200 lbs. I would like that to happen by retirement day. It is do-able IF I apply myself w/o starving myself, or boring myself, or depriving myself. FF
Old 01-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #87
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: catnmouse
Stats: 249/239/175
WOE: Atkins sort of : )
Start Date: October 25,2011, restart march 2013
Hello everyone,

I was good this weekend, didn't lose , but didnt gain
I was tempted several times , though.

Ff: it's hard to drink water, I have about three glasses when I get to work, then I want my iced coffee, I'm so addicted. I waste most of my carbs on this, pathetic. I would rather have iced coffee then eat!
Had too many yesterday, 3 that's about 15 carbs just for that, maybe 21? I'm going to bring my ez-sweets with me from now on so at least I can save on carbs, by not using splenda.

Craving sweets alot, need something cakey.
Going to make something today.

Have a great day every one.

Does anyone know how I can change my time zone?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #88

greetings catnmouse, & welcome to Blitz VIII

If i am professor of anything, it is how to have my cake and eat it too w/o using up precious carb grams. Caffeine is very important to my lifestyle, as Victory Gin was to Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984. I drink my coffee black (sometimes with cream or 1/2 & 1/2)with no sweetener of any kind. fortunately i like it that way, so I do not regard the absence of cream and sweetener as a sacrifice. This was a gradual procedure. As a child, when i first came to this world, I took my coffee with sugar and a liberal slurp of milk (about age 4). So I can use the carbs i save for solid eats. More tales from the past at another time. I must go to work. FF
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/342.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanger View Post
Who needs pants anyway! I'm not even going to bother with them this morning - just whack my granny-knickers on and claim it's a fashion statement.

Morning! The scale was down 2 more pounds today but I'm not changing my stats until Monday morning's weigh in.

ff-I don't drink near enough water. There are days when I don't drink any. I know - it's HORRIBLE - but I either forget or I'm not thirsty. One of my goals this Blitz is to do better. I did have about 20 ounces yesterday, which is a big deal for me. I know the more I drink the more weight I'll lose - as well as it being good for me. The way I figure, water to my body is like oil to my car. Keeps everything lubed and running smoothly.

Got to run - TTYL!

Marilee
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
what is this COCONUT CREAMER of which I am hearing (i am being very careful to put prepositions in their proper place, and NOT
Closed Thread