Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #571
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, i hope you are chewing on that steak right now :-) after tonight, if it still smells fresh, i'd get my nose checked...lol...

abi, that is a hoot!...we had fun going through mom's keepsakes from our childhood too...as for report cards, i got one "u" or "unsatisfactory" in all my years of elementary school and it was next to the phrase: "works quietly without disturbing others"...i may have shared that in here before - i'll never forget it - i was humiliated!...lol...probably not a surprise to you guys...

and that is so cute that your granddaughter sent her mom that photo - kids are so precocious!...

marilee!!!!!...that's awesome...you are back to leading this merry band of losers...keep it up!...

artemis, you amaze me, girl!...i get tired just reading about all you are doing!...have you tried those restaurants yet?...

just got back from dw's uncle's funeral...it was as nice as funerals can be, and very nice to visit with her family...ate well and on-plan while we were there, and tonight i threw steak and pork chops on the grill...delicious!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 03-14-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Marilee!! I am always so happy to log on to find anyone in our group has seen a drop. Two pounds is great! Are you still happy with the foods you are eating? That sure is the secret to long term losses.

Artemis, it is enjoyable to share the memories. And having alot of laughs is helping us all right now.

FF, that is a bummer about the mayo packs. I wonder why they aren't carrying them any more? I love it when things are premeasured and you don't have to wonder about them. I'd give those steaks an extra good sniff tonight.

Tony, glad you had a nice visit with your family and the eating went well. The choices I have had this week have not been very satisfying I'm afraid. Last night we had an eggplant parmasan casserole that looked delicious and I figure that it would not be too much off my plan. The lady that makes it is a friend of my SIL and they were all raving on how good her recipe always is. Well the tomato sauce was so tart it made you pucker up and I couldn't eat it. No one else liked it either and my niece sprinkled sugar on hers to make it palatable. lol SIL said that friend told her she had changed the recipe to organic tomato sauce and even she was not crazy about it. What a shame.

Today is Mom's funeral and we will have a small reception. We will have a meat and cheese platter among other side dishes and desserts so I will have no problem there. I am craving a hearty meal of steak or a big juicy hamburger the sooner the better. Maybe tonight.

Have a good day all!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-15-2012 at 03:16 AM..
Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #573
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Interesting thing happened on the scale this morning. It said -5 lbs! I thought surely that can't be right, stepped on again and said the same thing. So I moved the scale over a few inches and tried again. It said -3 lbs. So it seems that I have lost some where between 3 and 5 lbs this week so far! And, funny thing is that I'm not entirely sure why...haven't changed my diet. Working out hard but I was doing that before too. Oh well, I'll take it!

Abi, best regards to you and your family during this difficult day.

Congrats to Gibby on the 2 lb loss!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #574
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, my thoughts are with you today...i know i'd sign up right now for what your mom accomplished in her wonderful life - i'm sure most people would...but that doesn't make the sense of loss any less painful...just remember that as long as you're here, your mom will be here too...

p.s. eggplant parm is so much work - it is a shame to ruin it with bad sauce...fyi, there is a trick to taking the acidity out of tomato sauce - you throw some carrots into the sauce while it is simmering and remove them at the end... :-)
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #575
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Good morning!

Abi, just know that you and your family are being upheld with prayers.

As far as my eating goes, I went back on hhcg. This past weekend I experienced more over all bone/joint pain then I ever had. I am fearful that this excess poundage I am carrying has finally overcome by body, besides just my knee.

Drastic times call for drastic measures. So, I can't fiddle around with a pound a week loss - I need some dramatic results so I can move.

I have nothing or no one to blame but myself. All those years of excess...it's now time to get serious.

I know I sound depressed, but I'm not! I'm actually happy with my decision and am looking forward to less pain.

I need to get to work so I'll touch base later!

Marilee
Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #576
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, you don't sound depressed at all - simply DETERMINED!...and that is great...i'm feeling the same way right now...

artemis, when you exercise a lot, you build muscle and sometimes gain a bit of weight in muscle...but at the same time, you are building a fat-burning factory that will help you lose in the long run...i think you are reaping the benefits of all your hard work now and it is showing on the scale...GREAT JOB, kid!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #577
Major LCF Poster!

Artemis, Tony and Marilee, thank you for your thoughts and prayers yesterday. It was a lovely ceremony and reception. My cousin who is priest in Connecticut and also Mom's godson helped say the Mass and gave a funny and sweet eulogy, and my niece read a great memorial that we had written about our life with Mom. We saw some old friends and relatives we hadn't seen for quite awhile and got to catch up with them at the reception. My brother from Georgia will fly home this afternoon so we will meet up with him for breakfast this morning. Our daughter will fly home tomorrow. I am happy to be able to look forward to flying out in May for a short visit with her and all the grandkids.

Artemis, I think Tony has that right. When your body finally gets used to muscle build up it does start to rev up your metabolism and you start to burn more fat. I'd leave your scale right where it was when you first weighed and don't move it an inch! lol

Marilee, sorry to hear about the joint pain. Hoping as you lose the weight the pain will ease up. I am having some trouble with one of my hips that started last month. May have to look at Dr. Art Ayers anti inflammation diet. I sort of eat what he recommends but maybe I can follow better.Cooling Inflammation: anti-inflammatory diet

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #578
Senior LCF Member

Rainy day here. It's my rest day on the schedule and man am I looking forward to it! Tomorrow is supposed to be raining too, and it is my long training day so I will probably have to switch Sat and Sun on the schedule.

My brother and his family may be coming for a visit next weekend since it will be the start of their spring break. Hope that if they do, that the weather is beautiful so that we can stay out and about.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #579
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! Got on the scale and I've lost 4.2 pounds since Saturday morning. Yea!!!!!

I feel a little chatty today, but I'm at work so I may have to visit all of you tomorrow!

TTYL
Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #580
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, i'm so happy to hear the day went well - gathering together with family is one of the things that helps most and i love the idea of celebrating people's lives rather than dwelling on their passing...sounds like that large support system is being enjoyed by everyone...thanks for sharing the anti-inflammation link - i didn't know your hip was bothering you - sorry to hear that as i deal with it every day and know how hard it is...

yea, marilee!...you'll be back to twoterville in no time :-)

artemis, stay dry!

where's ff today?...
Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #581
Major LCF Poster!

HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY EVERYONE!

Did FF say he was having his computer worked on again? We have not heard from him since Wed. Where are you FF?

I am baking a pie right now for the Saint Patrick's Day corn beef and cabbage dinner tonight at the church. I had a choice of making Irish Soda Bread or a pie. Well, I am not a baker by any means so pie was the easiest to do. I use the already made rolled up crusts and a couple of cans of cherry pie filling. 5 minutes and it's in the oven. We won't be going to the dinner but we try to support the school as much as we can as we all went to school there except my older sister.

Marilee, you are going great guns! 4.2 pounds since last Saturday! That hcg is some magic potion! Hope you are having a nice relaxing weekend!

Artemis, I hope your brother and family get to visit you in Nashville next weekend and warm sunny weather would be so nice. Did you get some rest yesterday on your day off?

Tony, what is going on in your side of the state today? When do you head back to Nashville again? Is your family into following the NCAA tournament brackets?

May pick up some greek yogurt, fish oil caps, and glucosamine today and see if that will help with the hip inflammation.

Have a great Saturday all!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-17-2012 at 03:11 AM..
Old 03-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #582
Senior LCF Member

Believe it or not, I fell asleep in my clothes last night! I woke up with sores in my mouth and a scratchy throat. Looks like I need lots of fluids today. I am not sure if I will get out and about or not. It's supposed to be storming off and on.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #583
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis, if i get a vote, i vote for you re-hydrating, resting and taking the day off today...if it's nice tomorrow, you can get in a workout then...

abi, i'm not sure when my next trip will be...i've been trying to set up our annual sibling-only dinner with my bro and sisters and have kept my dates open to facilitate that...i expect to get down there by mid-april at the latest and then sarah is coming home on the 19th as she is in a wedding...this building stuff is interfering with my writing right now and i DON'T LIKE IT...lol...the building deal may actually fall through as there are some issues regarding the septic and sprinkler system i may not be willing to take on...

i think ff said if he didn't get his computer back by weds, we may not see him until monday as he took a few days off work...
Old 03-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #584
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

no abi????...no posts since yesterday morning from anyone?...have you guys all wasted away from lack of food/nutrition?... :-)

made steamed clams and lobster last night - they were very very very good!...

my younger daughter goes back to college this morning after spring break - i'm gonna really miss having her around - we spent a lot of time together this week...gotta run and make her scrambled eggs and bacon...see y'all later...
Old 03-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #585
Senior LCF Member

I did get a bit of rest yesterday. I also did a few chores and limited my walk to 2 miles. Had some tummy trouble last night but I think it is better this morning.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #586
Major LCF Poster!

Artemis, glad you got some rest yesterday. Falling asleep in your clothes is a good sign you have some exhaustion going on. Walking for a day or two is probably enough exercise until you get some energy stores built up. I used to get canker sores in my mouth when I was younger and my niece and one of my sisters get them often. They are miserable.

Hey Tony! That will be the day I ever waste away from lack of nutrition. lol I got a pot roast and veggies going in the crock pot before church and just forgot to post. We went out to breakfast at a diner that is way out in West Brattleboro. It is just at the foot of route 9 to Bennington. When I was in high school the diner was on Main Street right where Subway is now. Then they moved it where it is now and added an attached kitchen and extra dining to it. I had the steak and eggs and it was delicious. I have been so craving steak. I also had a small steak yesterday for lunch.

Tony, it is a drag when this mundane stuff gets in the way of being creative. It really does stifle it. Hope the building issues get resolved for you and you don't have to start all over looking for property again. A sibling only dinner sounds like alot of laughs Tony. How many brothers and sisters did you say you had?

I am hoping that FF is not on just because his computer is getting fixed. I think I do remember him saying something to that effect.

Well I have added plain greek yogurt, fish oil caps and glucosamine to my daily routine. See if that helps get the inflammation out of my hip. I have always had some trouble with my right hip stemming from over exhertion on a job about 14 years ago. It comes and goes, no big problem. But this thing with the left hip started all at once one day in early Feb. There was no rhyme or reason for it and it has not gone away.

Watching a chipmunk eating bird seed out of feeder just outside the kitchen window. He is just packing his cheeks full of it. Bama the dog and Daba the cat are having a fit about it but chippy is just ignoring them. lol

Marilee, have you talked to Vicki lately? How is she doing. Tell her to drop by!

Well, need to get some stuff done around here.

Have a great Sunday all!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-18-2012 at 08:46 AM..
Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #587
Senior LCF Member

Abi, good to hear from you. Yes, the sores are miserable. What is weird is that this time I got the sores before my stomach was upset, usually I get them after. My stomach is still not 100% so I just did some cleaning and now resting for a bit before I go walking. I was planning to cook a good dinner tonight but I may not if my stomach doesn't feel better.

And, that chipmunk sounds so adorable Abi I am thinking of getting some bird feeders or better yet butterfly feeders for my back deck. I love love love wild life. One of the reasons I chose my townhouse that I live in is that there is a pond with ducks and geese right behind it.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, everyone. Sick with a really bad cold or allergies - I can't tell which. I'll stop by tomorrow when I feel better.

No, I haven't checked in with Vicki in awhile. Next time I do, I'll have her stop by.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #589
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey guys,
good to see y'all...what a beautiful day in southern nh!!!...the thermometer read 80 today - i'm not sure that could be right!...it's supposed to be sunny and in the 70s all week and the peep frogs are already peeping this early evening...the kids put the deck furniture out earlier this week and i spent a good part of the day on it ;-)

abi, i have a brother and three sisters - only one sister lives in nh - about an hour north of me in loudon - i'm in derry...two sisters and my bro live in rhode island where we grew up...we have gone to the north end in boston for a sibling dinner the past 2 or 3 years and are trying to do it every year...

artemis, i think simply walking til you feel better is a good idea...and i am so impressed that you are motivated enough to do even that when you are not feeling well...

i know i have told you all i have not felt quite right for some time...seemed to start when i started taking fish oil pills - may be a coincidence, but i am allergic to scallops and thought maybe i was having an allergic reaction...so after 3-4 months, this week i stopped taking the fish oil and started feeling much better...then yesterday, i had tuna and lobster and steamers and felt crappy again - not treally sick, just blah with pain behind my eyes and all i want to do is close them and get some rest, which is not like me...it started after the tuna and before the shellfish, which is weird because i have eaten tuna my whole life with no issues...don't know if the fish oil pills made me more sensitive to all fish or what...

today, i avoided fish, but still feel poorly - don't know if i am developing regular allergies which i have never had...all the trouble seems to be focused in my eyes - no stuffy nose, maybe slightly sore sinuses...i hate going to the doctor but will have to soon for my meds, but i hate to tell them about this as it will lead to experiments with more pills which i DO NOT want to take!...

does anyone have allergies?...even when i close my eyes they still ache a bit...very weird...does this sound familiar?...lol...thanks docs...

hi marilee, hope you feel better than i do... :-)
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #590
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Just thought I would pop in and say . . . I got married on Saturday. I am ready to begin a healthy eating plan after the wedding truffles are gone. So, probably tomorrow I will start Fat Flush.

I am on spring break this week so I plan to make out menus and get back into looking up recipes and so forth. I hope I have renewed determination.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #591
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
so, another Indian bites the dust!!!

All the best to you Vicki, and to the lucky man. I am still w/o a computer at home. Luciano is waiting for parts to fix what needs fixing ($174.00 worth plus tax). I hope i get it back before the end of the fiscal year. I outgrew my allergies in 1984. but there is no guarantee that i will not get new ones. But i am grateful to date. I never make my own sauce; Too much work. i swear by VICTORIA marinara sauce-extremely low carb: 2 net gr carb per 1/2 cup sauce. They make different kinds, which is why it is imperative to read labels. Of course it is ALWAYS imperative to read labels. On the Ides of March, I watched the classic rendition of ShaKespeare's Julius Caesar, featuring Marlon Brando & James Mason among other greats. Also, I have a 4 hr made for tv version with Jeremy Sisto & Christopher Noth (from the Law & Order series). Of course i also did some reading from Caesar's own writings (de bello gallico, and the bellum civile). AND, i had my Caesar salad. FF
Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #592
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Vicki! I would say throw that bouquet over to me, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to catch it

Stomach is still messed up. Dinner last night gave me horrible cramps, so I think I will just skip breakfast and lunch as I am at work and do not want to have to go home sick.

On a side note, has anyone ever tried the bread from Julian Bakery? I saw an ad for it this weekend, and it turns out that they have several LC varieties. I know that none of my local stores carry it, but I am thinking of ordering the cinnamon raisin one once I'm feeling better.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #593

oh, btw... the steak was great.

i knew it would be. with that i enjoyed a mushroom/broccoli stirfry. I only used 2 slices of my low carb bread for a bacon cheeseburger. Otherwise I was bread free the whole 4 days. I seem to be able to forget the loaf is there. That's progress. I will be weighing in at the doctor this coming Sat a.m. I hope the weigh-in is not WAY OUT!!! I will follow as close to zero carbs as is possible for this whole week. No lc bread, just a salad or veggie...not both. It is about feeling better. i am not expecting a weight loss for this week, as i am not currently exercising. FF
Old 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #594
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

vicki, CONGRATULATIONS!...you guys have come a long way in the last year...wishing you all the happiness you deserve and success in finding a plan that works for you...we love ya! :-)

artemis, sorry your belly is still not quite right...hope you made it through the day without any issues...try to eat something light tonight and drink clear liquids...

ff, happy the steak was good - god knows it had nine lives :-) congrats on your amazing discipline over the four days off...we missed you...

have had a good day so far:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: chicken wings - HOT
d: grilling some steak tips - can't wait!

another beautiful day here...had my convertible top down all afternoon - loved it!...

happy abi is not up and posting at 4:30 a.m. - hope she is getting some much-deserved rest...but i do miss her! :-)

Last edited by tony8; 03-19-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #595
Major LCF Poster!

I thought I posted yesterday but I must have imagined it! Maybe I posted on an old link which I did once before and Marilee found it.

Vicki, I am so happy for you! Terrific you have the whole week off from the job so you can get settled in. Remind me, have you sold your old home and are now living in the new home? Beautiful profile picture!

Marilee, hope the cold or allergies are all gone now!

FF, very important to eat a caesar salad while you are reading Caesar's writings. I am glad you have cut your bread consumption way back. That is great progress!

Tony, my niece used to be able to eat eggs and suddenly her first year in college she got ill and they discovered she had developed an allergy to them. So possibly you have developed one to seafood. Sure hope not as we all know how much you love it. Hope you are feeling better now.

Artemis, nothing worse than stomach problems except for a bad headache. Hope you are back to feeling good today!

Wrote out about 10 thankyou notes yesterday, called Social Security, Military annuities, Vermont State Teachers retirement, and Nationwide Ins. Of course about 30 minutes was spent on hold listening to terrible music and all kinds of information. Then someone finally answers and they switch you to another dept. and you have to wait all over again. Well, it's done now and now I will be going through closets and cupboards.

My eating has been sporadic and lousy. I think once I get into a routine I will get back to normal lol (whatever normal is)

Have a great day all!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #596

no BOSE music wave system.

they returned my check, saying that they could not verify my funds, nor will the bank do so by phone. I will not know until Thursday late afternoon whether some hacker did a number on my account. Well, I hope to resolve my issues with my computer. Also, I hope, eventually, to be able to properly connect my audio cassette recorder to my amp, so that it works. Maybe, by the time i retire. FF
Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #597
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i hate credit cards too, but the way the world does business today almost necessitates having one...there are cards that have no fees and you earn cash back on purchases (the stores pay that fee) and you pay zero interest by paying off the balance in full each month...i have found them as secure as bank accounts...maybe think about it?...

hi abi, the closet cleaning out job isn't easy, but i hope you find lots of things that make you smile...

felt a little better yesterday and this morning, but still not right - hard to explain how i am feeling...a little fuzzy and achy in and behind my eyes...the rest of me feels fine...mystery...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #598

thanks, but no thanks, Tony

I sleep better knowing i have no credit cards. I am sure, a year from now they will still be making the same offer on QVC. i just found out we are entitled to a small bonus in August. That would be a time to try again (if other factors do not change for the worse.These days, anything can happen, and, in an instant.)So, I am now almost $500.00 richer, for the time being. Yesterday, i ate 13 Chinese ribs(sauceless), and 1 small order of shrimp and broccoli (w/o the unholy trinity of flour, sugar and corn starch)and with added garlic. I am garlicking everything these days. I had no bkfst or lunch. I did not miss it. I am going on the web (here at work, on my breaks and lunch)to investigate natural forms of appetite deterrants. I will let y'all know if i find something promising, and easily obtainable. FF
Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #599

i will have to wait for my own computer to return

access is denied to my queries. How stupid of me. Why should a health oriented institution allow health related inquiries? FF
Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #600
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Thanks all for the best wishes. Artemis, if I could throw that far, I would LOL.

Abi, my house is still for sale. It has been almost a month now. We did have an open house this past Sunday while we were on our "honeymoon". Nothing has come of it yet.

OK folks, I spent the morning cooking and prepping. I made a batch of Fat Flush Soup, a huge tossed salad, and cole slaw. I am also going to make a Reuben Casserole from one of Dana Carpender's cook books because I have leftover Reuben ingredients. I feel a renewed sense of control and/or will power. Let's hope it sticks.

Since completing my food prep I have been going through my wallet and purse and notifying people/places of my name change and I am still at it, whew.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
Closed Thread