Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #541
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
oh abi, i am so, so sorry to hear about your mom...when i read that, i felt like i got hit in the stomach...what a huge loss, but what a wonderful life i know she lived...just knowing you and hearing about your close, beautiful family, is testament to the greatest accomplishment of your mother's life - of anyone's life...she must have been so peaceful and content to know what she was leaving behind...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time...if there is anything i can do, i am only a couple of hours away...now i'm gonna go sulk for awhile - i feel like we've all lost a member of our family...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #542
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Abi, so sorry about the loss of your mother.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #543
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Abi, I just read the news about your mom. I'm so sorry! It is horrible to lose a parent, especially one as special as yours. You and your family will be in my prayers.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #544
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Thank you everyone for your words of comfort and your prayers. It made me happy to share pictures of Mom and our daily life together. She liked it when someone would say something nice about her although I don't think she ever quite figured out how people all over the world knew who she was!

Wonderful friends and neighbors are starting to deliver food for the family and it looks delicious but also very high carb comfort food . I figured if I wanted to eat I better cook up something I could have. I made up a batch of Linda Sue's meatballs yesterday and put them in FF's favorite Victoria Marinara sauce. Everyone raved about them. This recipe is a keeper.BAKED MEATBALLS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Going to try to get through this week the best I can. Thank you all. It means the world to me the support I get from this group.

Have a great Sunday!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-11-2012 at 12:53 AM..
Old 03-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #545
Major LCF Poster!

abi, i was barely able to figure it out, but i think i sent you a pm... :-)
Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #546
Major LCF Poster!

You did and I replied (I think). I am so technologically stunted. lol
Old 03-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #547
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Well I have arrived at the conclusion that 2 miles is going to be my running maximum. My heart just won't let me do more. But, I can walk forever! So I downloaded the half marathon training plan for walkers today and will get started tomorrow. The plan also includes cross training which allow me to do callanetics and julian michaels workouts in the mix. I am also trying to get a group together to do the susan komen 3 Days for the Cure...which is 60 miles in three days. You have to do 20 miles each day, camping out each night. It's in the fall so there is still time to train for it.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #548
Major LCF Poster!

Artemis, I am glad you have found the right balance that will work for you. Good luck on your half marathon training for walkers!

Woke up way early for me and can't blame Bama the dog for that. So I have been quietly cleaning house to get ready for our daughter flying in from Missouri tomorrow evening. Mopped the bathroom floor, made the guest room bed and did some dusting. Does all that count as exercising?

Have great Monday all!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-12-2012 at 02:33 AM..
Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #549
Major LCF Poster!

abi, for me, if i am off the couch, i consider it exercise...not sure jillian michaels would be impressed though :-) i know having your daughter with you will be a comfort, and will keep you busy, which is a good thing right now...one of the hardest things will be the letdown from all the effort you have put into your mother's care for all this time...allow yourself time to relax and think and grieve and over time, add activities that feed your spirit in some way...when i lost my mom a few years ago (i lost my dad when i was 21), i felt like i had lost a connection to the planet in some way - it was weird to feel like an orphan at this age, but i did...with time i realized that i was the connection to the planet for my children and took my place in the order of things...you will too :-)

artemis, your goals are ambitious and i applaud you for it - just remember to listen to your body - if it signals you are overdoing it, LISTEN!...it must feel like you have a few more sets of parents in here...LOL...

today is my birthday - i will turn 53 at 11:31 tonight...i was born on a thursday and my mom was so worried i would be born on friday the 13th - and folks were superstitious back then - that she tried very hard to get me out before midnight...i made it with 29 minutes to spare... :-)

Last edited by tony8; 03-12-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #550
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
so sorry about your mom, Abi.

Take comfort that she had a long and full life, and u were all together to see her off. I, to change the subject, survived the weekend. I did miss u guys. As much as I still regard the computer as an alien intrusion in my house,(yeah, look who's complaining about aliens!!!), still it is only 1 or 2 paces from my bed. also, at any time of the day or night, if i have a question about someone or something, i can always check out Wikipedia, or some such source. Of course, I have LCF at my beck and call. I was watching the latest pitch on QVC on the BOSE Music wave system and accompanying DVD player ($449.95 incl S&H but not incl tax). I have the check already written out, but i have not made up my mind whether to send it just yet. i am trying to get some word of mouth regarding the bass extension. BOSE never publishes their frequency range specs. I am very hard to please regarding the bass extension. Do any of u have one, or at least been in the same room with one while it was on??? If so, i would love to hear your impressions. On the subject of food, I was an angel this weekend. When the delivery guy came to my door Fri eve about 7:30pm (remember i had not as yet consumed 1 bite of solid food that day), the check came out to $42.90. yes, they screwed up the order. I sent it back. then i called the Great Wall, and got my ATKINS-ized chinese food, for 1/2 that amount in only 15 minutes. I WILL re-order that cheeseburger meal and see if they get it right, but later in the week. OR, perhaps I will get a cheeseburger feast at McD, BK or Wendys. I have not had a triple baconater with bacon and cheese for almost 2 years. I am learning how to pace myself with food. It is not enough to stay low carb, but to eat what I need, and no more. Sat afternoon, I ordered 2 cheeseburgers, and a side of bacon (cheaper than ordering 2 bacon cheeseburgers), with pickle on the side. Miraculously, i had 1 burger, with 1/2 the bacon, and saved the rest for the next day. Sometimes, i need more, and sometimes I need less. Well, let us hope I get through this day w/o any wardrobe malfunctions. I am running out of pants. FF
Old 03-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #551
Senior LCF Member

Happy Birthday Tony! I am sending an imaginary LC cake your way.

I think I am going to start weighing in a different room. My bathroom floor seems to be the most uneven place in the universe! I know it is always better to put it on the same spot in the floor, but mine isn't tiled so it isn't as easy to find the exact spot. In one place this morning it showed minus 2 lbs and in another plus 3 lbs making a difference of 5lbs between each spot. So, I imagine I am somewhere in between. In any event, the pants I am wearing are more loose than they were the last time I put them on, so that is good enough for me!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #552
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy Birthday Tony. I will be 53 this year too, but not until November.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #553
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony! I wish I was going to be 53 this year

I felt like an orphan when my mom died, too. It's a weird feeling.

Enjoy your day!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #554

oh, Tony...it is your birthday!!!

Someday, we shall be able to celebrate face to face. I shall enjoy my dinner (roast chicken & collard greens) in your honor. doing anything special? I had a cup of chicken salad with a friend from work (it was her birthday). this cheap little troll actually treated her for lunch & I had gotten her 2 boxes of the fruit tea as well. Tomorrow, i will sit out in the garden of my facility on my lunch hour with my friend Xenophon (the
Athenian historian 430 bc to 350bc give or take a year or 2.). I am changing my modus operandi here and there, as i am running the risk of stagnation in the ritualized way i do things (or fail to get them done). I am off Thursday (Ides of March)& Friday. So, right after work on
Wednesday, i am marching over to the Wendys, which is a 5 minute walk from my work station, and getting myself a triple Baconator with bacon and cheese (no bun of course). I will transfer some of that to my low carb bread (toasted). with any luck, I will have half of it for the next day, or at least later that evening. I am trying to practice portion control, & become successful at it. i will have a salad or veggie with the cow. I have not been to THAT Wendys in about 20 years, or the other Wendys, in another part of Bklyn in over 2 years. i also decided to commit to the BOSE machine. I asked my friend Cleopatra at work, who has one. She is very happy with hers. I could not pass up the convenience, or the good deal. Again, very happy birthday, Tony. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #555
Blabbermouth!!!

I am reminiscing by going back to threads I posted in when I was at goal. Man, that seems so long ago. After going to Walmart and having to buy size 20 jeans, I am absolutely sick. And to think I was a 10 at one time. I am sulking and stewing and trying so hard to get back on track. But, obviously not hard enough. One of these days I will kick my butt into gear.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #556
Senior LCF Member

Today was cross-training for me so I got in an hour of Callanetics. And, is it just me or is every other commercial on the tv about chocolate easter bunnies....the torture!

Hang in there Vicki! Maybe you just haven't found the plan for you yet that you can stick to for a life time. That is certainly not easy and I don't think any of us have found the magic solution. Have you ever tried a JUDDD style? Like everything else, it's not for everyone, but a lot of the folks who don't really do well with just low carb have a lot of success with it. Whatever you do, we are all here for you!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #557
Major LCF Poster!

Happy belated birthday Tony. Hope it was a great day for you. My birthday was on the 8th - a couple of Pices! Thanks for the good advice on adjusting to the immediate future. My younger sister and I will be mainly cleaning out Mom's house and brother who lives in town will make some repairs. By June I will be job hunting.

Vicki, I liked Artemis's suggestion on trying JUDD if you havent tried it. I have read alot about it and I see people having alot of luck with it and they are happy with it. I don't think I could do it because the down day looks like it is about 500 calories. I have done so much restriction over the years that such a low calorie count does not appeal to me. Then the up day is so high in calories I could feel guilty eating that much. But it seems to work great starting at about 2 weeks out. Your metabolism gets back to working like it should.

Aremis, I have had to move my scale for the same reason before. It does make a difference if the floor is not level.

Marilee and Tony, I do feel somewhat like an orphan. I am greatful for two sisters and two brothers that look out for me and I look out for them. It kind of fills in the gap some.

FF, I could go for a huge hamburger with cheese and bacon right now. Hope the Bose music wave system gives you the sound you are wanting.

Talk to you all later!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-13-2012 at 03:02 AM..
Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #558

greetings, HEWMONS

day 8 and happy as a clam.Pants have not loosened up yet. Vicki, the past is the past. it is over. Time to move on. On the subject of CHOCOLATE Easter bunnies,Artemis, make believe they are liver Easter bunnies. same color, different taste, and not so appealing from my point of view. I sniffed the steaks that were in the bottom shelf of my fridge. they smelled nice and fresh. if they were any fresher, they would be out in the meadow chewing their cud. So, i put a dry rub on them and will pan saute them along with some veggies this evening. there is enough (1.3 lbs uncooked)for 2 NORMAL carbon based bipeds. but, when did y'all every hear me claim to be normal? So, i will try to eat only 1/2 of it...but NO PROMISES!!! I re-discovered HORSE radish last night. In the past I ONLY used it during Passover, and only on gefilte fish and brisket. In my current project of trying to color outside the box, I put on the roast chicken I took home from work. YUMMO!!! I really picked me a winner, doodah, doodah!!! And Tony, dying to know how u celebrated the big day. FF
Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #559
Major LCF Poster!

hi guys, thanks for the birthday wishes...i really appreciate it... :-) i'm like a little kid on my birthday - it's always been my favorite day of the year cuz it was mine (and the millions of other people born on the same day!)...

i always get nostalgic and since i am the oldest of five kids, i always kind of congratulate my mom and dad, cuz my birthday marks the day they became parents for the first time...so yesterday, i took a drive to rhode island with my 20-year-old daughter who is home from unh on spring break, and we visited the cemetary where my mom and dad are buried...tidied up the gravesites and brought flowers...it was 74 degrees and absolutely perfect weather...we drove with the top down on my convertible and played some great music and just had a nice day together...

stopped by my mom's brother's grocery store (which was founded by my grandfather) and visited with him for a bit and then high-tailed it back home to nh before dinner...the kids and two of my son's girlfriends took me out to a great restaurant for dinner - i ordered the steak and it was delicious! (ribeye on the bone) and left the potatoes except for a few...the meal was served in the pan the whole thing was sauteed in...awesome!...

then we went home for apple cake and i had a slice, and the kids gave me a new fishing pole that they picked up at bass pro shops and it is a really GREAT one...best i've ever owned...

it was a really nice day all around...thanks for asking!

today we are headed to conn. to a wake and a funeral tomorrow morning for my wife's uncle...he was a good man and my three sons are pall bearers...

abi, i could have guessed we were both born around the same time...i think we share several similarities :-) i'll be thinking about you today...

ff, i don't know how you keep steak fresh for so long - mine seems to go south after 3-4 days if i don't cook it!...your fridge must be very cold...enjoy it bro and i look forward to sharing a meal face to face someday...

artemis, today is my exercise day and whenever i feel lazy, i think of you and that gets me off my butt - seriously - thanks!...

vicki, i agree with ff - you did it before and you can do it again and don't look at it as big numbers - just look at it as one good meal choice at a time starting now...we are all in the same boat, kid...

have a great day everyone...
Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #560

my fridge is inconsistant, Tony.

sometimes i DO throw out stuff from the fridge after a few days. I got lucky this time. If u do not see my posts from tomorrow on, we will all know I was DEAD wrong. so glad u had a fulfilling time. The Bose machine has an auxiliary jack in the back. i might be able to connect my audio cassette deck there. It would be much easier than the current logistics. always great to have back-up technology, especially since my computer has had as much away- time as in-house time. Mr Computer returns Thursday evening at a cost of $174.00. Pity I could not lose lbs at the rate i lose dollars. FF
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #561
Major LCF Poster!

ff, when you discover the simplicity of an ipod, your musical life will be changed forever...of course, you will have to discover a credit card too! :-)
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #562

no thanks to both, Tony.

as regards Earth technology, i am yesterday. I sat out in the garden for 120 minutes. i had to go back in. Still too cold. Perhaps tomorrow. FF
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's lunch hour and I went to the car wash as it was really dirty! Such a beautiful day - I sat outside and waited for it to be done. Too bad it's right next to a Sonic!!!! Smelled lovely french fries and other goodies while I was waiting.

I'M JUST SAYIN'!!!!!!!!!!

So here I am with my tomato and chicken breast. Yum!

Last edited by Gibby; 03-13-2012 at 01:02 PM..
Old 03-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #564
Blabbermouth!!!

I will look into JUDDD but I don't like restriction either. Maybe why HCG didn't do so well. I will keep trying. Except maybe that is the problem I am trying and not doing.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #565
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, your birthday activities sounded so nice. Connecting with family is wonderful. There were 8 of us at Mom's yesterday going through old pictures and having alot of laughs at "Big Hair" pictures from the 70's and 80"s. Then my brother found the envelope with all our report cards from kingergarten through senior year. Some of the teacher's comments were so inciteful. My brother's kindergarten teacher commented on how artistic he was and just in the last year he has had time to get back into water colors and oils. Some great stuff. My first grade teacher said after the 3rd quarter that I tried too hard to be perfect but by the 4th quarter I had gotten through that and was a happy child. It gives you such a strange feeling to be brought to that time in your life.

FF, love the idea that the chocolate bunnies are made out of liver. I will never forget that picture in my mind! lol It sure is too bad our weight does not leave us as quickly as our money does!

Vicki, in my younger years I could really restrict myself when I got to a certain weight. Now I just can't motivate myself like I could back then. There is a plan out there we can all live with, we just have to find it. I do like Tony's advice of "one good meal choice at a time". We can all subscribe that.

Marilee, my car is so dirty I can't see out my back window. I wished I had left it outside last night. We had a hard thunderstorm and alot of that dust would have washed it off.

So great to have daughter here with us until Saturday. We had not seen her since July. My yougest grandaughter (8 yrs) sent her a picture of herself last night as we were driving home from the airport from her phone showing her with tears going down her cheeks because she missed her already. It was funny and sad at the same time. I can't get over children that young know how to master this technology. At 8 I was lucky I knew how to tie my shoes. lol

Have a great day all!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-14-2012 at 04:18 AM..
Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #566

DON'T BEAT ME!!!

I did NOT make the steak last night. When i got home from SHOPRITE, I barely had energy to put my groceries away. So, it is most certainly tonight. I had 1 lb Hebrew National Salami and 4 thin slices of muenster cheese incl Nathan's Jewish Deli Mustard. Horseradish does not go well with salami (not to me, anyway). btw it was 10 minutes in the garden, not 120. would it not be great to have a 2 hr lunch hour? i would never retire!!! FF
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #567
Senior LCF Member

In a hurry to get to a meeting so just a quick note...

Training went well last night, ended up going an extra half mile because I took a wrong turn in the neighborhood. I am supposed to cross train tonight according to the schedule, but it's supposed to be raining tomorrow, so I think I'll switch the 4 miles for tomorrow night with tonight's DVD.

Abi, so glad that you are enjoying your family during this time! My mom keeps a similar box with mine and my brother's stuff in it. We always get a big kick out of looking at through it.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #568

u seem to be up and about again, Artemis.

good. there is no stopping u, nor would i dream of doing so. Well, some more dissappointments. first, they stopped supplying packets of mayo in the cafeteria. Ergo, i will have to find a way to buy my own. i love the packets-perfect portion control. 1 packet= 1 T. secondly, there was no VITA brand nova scotia lox at SHOPRITE last night. i hope it was not discontinued. carbs and WW points per 3 oz pack was 1 each. i checked all the other brands in the store. 4 gr per portion. fish should be virtually carb free. Where will it end? FF
Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #569
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning. The scale moved! I've lost another 2 pounds. Yea!

Chocolate made out of liver? Too bad - I love liver!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #570

good for u gibby!!!

the last time the scale moved favorably for me, it was caught in an earthquake (hahaha). i am 4.5 hrs away from some well earned shuteye. if i wake up, i shall make the steak. Could u imagine, i have had the unsliced low carb loaf in my fridge for about a week, and it is almost still there. I am not tempted to touch it (apart from an acceptable portion)at all. I already had a low carb pita today (7 net grams), so there will be no bread later. Tomorrow, as a garnish for my Caesar salad (for the ides of March), i will make croutons out of 2 slices (1 oz)of that bread. HAIL CAESAR!!! FF
Closed Thread