Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #391
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
HAVING MY CAKE AND EATING IT TOO!!!

staying, for the time being, at Induction level carbs, i still get to eat lots of diversity. For example, from time to time, i need to have coleslaw and applesauce with my chicken (breaded<i.e. pork rinds> or unbreaded), or fish. So, I just mind the portion sizes so that I do not go overboard. It is as easy as that. Of course, both are sugar free, or so low, that the body would not be aware (or what Dr Atkins called in his 1st book back in the 70's BIOLOGICALLY ZERO). I want to create a program& I am in the process of doing that by merely adorning the critter with very small portions of condiments that are good tasting and virtually sugar/starch free. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
FF, this is so weird. I was just going to tell everyone about a delicious meal I just had using your idea of breading with pork rinds and there you are talking about it!

I bought some chicken tenders and crushed up pork rinds in a zip lock bag. I sprinkled in some parmesan, rinsed the chicken off in running water and put them in the bag to coat. I melted some coconut oil in a quart pan, maybe less than 1/2 inch deep and fried until golden brown. I made a dipping sauce of mayo and Franks Wings sauce and dipped away. I could not taste any hint of pork rind flavor. This is definately a keeper!

My coconut oil is lou ana pure coconut oil and does not have a coconut flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (43.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, as you may remember, my favorite is pistachio - thank goodness, none of that is in there...even so, i did cave in and had a klondike bar last night - almost made it to bed without it, but it called out to me and i answered...i felt crappy afterward and again this morning...

there is candy covering every surface in my house too...i ate 1/2 banana for breakfast, 1 small apple for lunch and leftover baked haddock for dinner...have stayed away from the ice cream and candy today and will stay away from it tonight...

jenny!!!!!...so good to see ya, sis...happy you had another hawaii vacation...we are thinking of going there next summer for the first time - my wife, me and our five kids - ages 16-27...if you have any recommendations, i'd love to hear them...it is the only state we have not visited yet and we'd want to do it right :-) maybe rent a condo, and see several islands, etc...great job on the hcg - marilee did well with that too...you rock, kid!...

abi, happy we made mom happy - she is so sweet... :-) also happy the break from weighing is working - i bet you are losing...i am still weighing, but only when i want to - not according to a schedule and i think that is helping me right now...it is freeing and helps me get back on the horse quicker if i falter cuz i wanna weigh in lower and sooner, if that makes sense...

artemis, i am sitting here laughing, thinking of your sore armpits!...forgive me!...let me know when you check out arnold's...i want to see what you think...

ff, how's it feel to be 61, dude?...you and roger maris are linked this year...great advice on the salt...i almost never add it...

let's all have a great night!...wish me luck staying out of the freezer and candy bags...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #394
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Tony, if you think that's funny...by the end of the day my legs were REALLY starting to feel the effects and people in the neighboring office started asking if I hurt myself ha ha. Apparently I was walking funny and didn't know.

Had to work really late and feeling so tired. I made a veggie quesadilla on a low carb tortilla for dinner. Haven't made one in a while and forgot how much I missed these!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, hope you were able to resist the ice cream bars and candy last night. Having the stuff just laying around is super tempting. I encounter that on a daily basis at Mom's. The not weighing is freeing and I feel less tempted to cheat. I keep thinking if I just wait a few more days maybe I will see something good on the scales and don't want to mess it up this close to Monday.

Artemis, sorry about the sore legs! Hope the arm pits and legs have worked out their kinks today!

Hey Marilee, what do you hear from Vicki? We miss her! Also LC and Clanger, hope you are both doing well!

They are having the ski jump competitions here this weekend. We can see the hill from Mom's. We have no snow and it rained last night so I can see the lights on and they have been working feverishly every night making snow. It will be a real mud pit in the parking lot which is pretty standard there. It is just a cornfield. DH is going but will park somewhere else and walk to it. He used to ski jump there when he was a kid and gets excited all over again watching it.

I had the fried chicken strips with dip and a hard boiled egg yesterday, coffee with cream and a diet Dr. Pepper. Don't drink soda's much but sometimes it is a real treat instead of water.

Have a great day all!

Last edited by Abigale; 02-17-2012 at 12:12 AM..
Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #396

to be 61, Tony, is to be in my prime.

after all, 61 IS a prime #-divisible only by 1 and itself. However, I regret to say I am no longer an a.m. person. I need more coffee than i used to, and not for the taste either. After my peroration about cole slaw and applesauce, i made some tuna salad and listened to the NY Shrill-harmonic and went to bed. 3 day weekend ahead, i am NOT going to AC. i would probably miss the 9 a.m. bus anyway. I AM, on Sunday, repeating the Star Wars movie. Monday, i probably will not even leave the house. Have a great weekend all. Tonite, I will probably have the chicken and the applesauce/coleslaw before the slaw goes bad. FF
Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Still limping around today. I keep thinking that it will go away if I keep actively doing it instead of letting it settle in. I only have 500 calories for today so I will try and save it for tonight. Not sure what I will do this weekend. Other than the normal chores, it will depend on the weather. But I know it will certainly involve lots of exercise!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #398

so glad i saved the cheekon salad.

I actually forgot about it, and I was about to open a can of tuna...when there it was!!! It was the best I ever tasted, and i sent an e-mail to the head of nutrition in our facility to tell him so. It is even better than mine. they use big chunks. that is the secret. I need to bring my own celery to augment. 3 hrs and 5 minutes away from the weekend. FF-
Old 02-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #399
Major LCF Poster!

ff, you are too funny...sometimes i like chicken salad with bigger chunks but sometimes i prefer the mashed up kind :-) i will turn 53 in a few weeks, so i'm not far behind you!...

abi, i am surprised they were able to make enough snow to actually ski down there...my yard is a mud pit right now...i think you are in a really good groove right now - nice job - when you do get on the scale, i am betting you will be happy...just set your expectations at "no gain" - that way if you lose anything you will be happy :-)

artemis, i hope you are not as sore tomorrow...i am proud of you - it is a major accomplishment to limit yourself to 500 calories, especially on a friday night!...

i did avoid the candy and ice cream last night...the problem is no one is eating it - i wish they would and make it disappear!...

today, so far:
b: skipped
l: a couple of ounces of cheddar cheese
d: maybe burgers or salmon???
Old 02-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

just had to get here before abi one morning :-) hi abi!!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Darn Tony, you beat me to it! Mom's eyes are not that great now so I read to her from the paper as I feed her breakfast so run behind alot now.

I will tell myself that no gain is good when I weigh Monday but truthfully I will be disappointed if I am not down at least 3 pounds. No pork rinds tomorrow, don't want any sneaky water gain showing up.

Had ground beef yesterday, pork rinds and hard boiled eggs. I brought a can of tuna from the house today for a change for lunch.

My sister, BIL and two other couples were going out to eat at Nicola's last night Tony. Have you and your wife met up with your old roomate there yet for dinner?

Artemis, sure hope your muscles have straightened out now so you can have an exercise filled weekend! You are doing so well with the up day down day fasting!

FF, your cheekon salad sounded great. Nice of you to e-mail the head of nutrition. I bet he doesn't get that many compliments. People are much more ready to complain than compliment.

Better get busy here. Have a great Saturday all!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #402
Senior LCF Member

I managed to stay below 400 cals last night. I filled up on steamed veggies, which is my fav thing to eat on down days because you can eat a lot for not many cals. It's Up Day, yippee! I am going to think of something good to make for dinner and possibly even some low carb treats for my up days this week. I am hoping to get two workouts in today. Not as sore this morning!

Abi, good luck with the weigh in on Monday. I was originally going to weigh in on Monday but then decided to wait until Wednesday because that when I started the 30 DS.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I beat Tony today!

Had a good day yesterday and am hoping for at least a 3 pound drop in the morning. Going easy on the salt today.

Yesterday I had hard boiled eggs, pork rinds, and tuna salad.

Hope you are all having a great weekend!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

hi abi, believe me, you're probably gonna beat me 364 days a year!...our friends had to postpone our dinner at nicola's due an illness in their family...we will do it soon though...have you been there?...did your sis like it?...get me the scoop... ;-) i am sooo pulling for you tomorrow and i know you have earned a big loss, just don't get too caught up on a number on the scale tomorrow, as the worst thing that can happen to us is discouragement...GREAT JOB, no matter what the scale says!

artemis, thanks for the reminder about the steamed veggies...that is good advice about beefing up on those on low cal days...you're really doing great...you are smart and funny and full of thought-provoking ideas, and i am so happy you found us when you did... :-)

oh marilee, where are you???...jenny, get back in here...lol...

i had a weird day eating yesterday...i DID avoid all the ice cream and candy again, so kudos to me on that...i did not eat all day until about 7:30 at night last night and then i had two pieces of fried chicken and a small amount of brown rice...not low carb but yummy and my only meal of the day...

let's focus on the fact that i avoided all candy and ice cream, okay?...ha ha...
Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the compliments Tony! You're ok yourself I wouldn't worry too much about the brown rice. I have found that when I eat carbs, as long as they are brown instead of white they don't hurt me too much. But that's just me.

Abi, I'm sure you'll do great tomorrow! You've been working really hard.

I got a lot done yesterday. Spent the morning running errands, spent the afternoon cleaning my house from bottom to top, had a conference call for my company, then went on a 2 mile walk followed by the 30 DS. And since yesterday was my up day, I cooked venison last night for dinner. It's a rainy mess outside today, so I will not be running outside. It's a down day so it'll be steamed broccoli and cauliflower for dinner, and possibly a piece of fish if I skip lunch and dinner.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #406
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Belated Happy Birthday, FF, O Fearless Leader.

Artemis, Congrats to you and your Gram!

Abi, your mom scored bigger than I did. My Valentine's day provided the (LC) dinner and I made the (FF/SF) chocolate dessert -- one with coconut, butter, pb, vanilla extract, chocolate and AS. Didn't have a recipe but it came out very well.

Have been doing okay with adding some carbs from vegetable sources, per my doctor. Was very nervous about doing it, but it does seem to give me a lot more energy post-PT and weight training.

Tony, if all that stuff were in my freezer...well, it wouldn't be. It would be in me. Don't know how you do it, dude.

Hey, Jenny! Good to hear from you again.

Marilee on your singles awareness comment. A very sweet gay young man at work brought chocolates for all of us singles, male and female, for Singles Awareness Day. I snuck mine to somebody else when he wasn't looking. But it's the thought that counts.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Well after posting and feeling good about things I've had some slip ups in the last few days (popcorn inicidents and a bite of cake, also too much wine) Need to refocus and eat clean for a couple days and then it gets easier. Carbs are so addictive for me...

Not too much damage done (1lb?) but it scares me how easy it is to slip up...
Old 02-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #408
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
They are a hard habit to break. That's for sure, Jenny. Good you caught it quickly. Hang in there.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
I'm here and I've been eating horribly. That's all I'm going to say.

Finally feeling healthy, the car is running fine and my home computer is now functional! Hallelujah!

Tomorrow is a holiday from work. A friend and I are going to the movies to see "One for the Money". She and I are both Janet Evanovich fans so we are looking forward to seeing the first movie made from her book. We were supposed to go a couple of weeks ago, but I was under the weather. The theater shouldn't be too crowded now.

I'll catch ya all later - I need to get caught up on your posts but I wanted to check in.

Marilee
Old 02-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

just lost a looong post...let me say i love y'all and when we slip, we're one good meal/snack choice from being back on track, so don't sweat it...

usually when i slip, i gain for a few days afterward, and then if i stick to plan, i lose it right after that, so don't get discouraged...

good day today
I STAYED AWAY FROM THE CANDY AND ICE CREAM AGAIN...yea!

b: leftover salmon
l: cheeseburger, no bun, mustard
d: grilled chicken and steamed cauliflower

Last edited by tony8; 02-19-2012 at 06:35 PM..
Old 02-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #411
Major LCF Poster!

Well, no drum rolls -lol - but I did lose the 3 lbs I was hoping for. I hope it was all fat! I didn't do anything special yesterday to try to tilt the scales in my favor except did not eat any pork rinds. I ate ground beef, hard boiled eggs and keilbasa. I will go back to my daily weighing and keep up with the VLC. I must say the cravings have deminished considerably. That is such a relief. I have had afew rough moments in the last 2 weeks but I try to keep a diet dr pepper around if they get too bad. Probably had only 2 or 3.

Lent starts Wed. so there will be some semi fasts and meatless days ahead. Not too much of sacrifice for me as I like tuna and mayo as much as meat. Am going to pick up some chicken tenders today and do the pork rind and pamesan breading fried in coconut oil with the mayo and wings dip. I could eat that everyday I think.

Tony, I hate losing those long posts. It ususally happens to me when I start to write and then get interrupted. I am going to ask my sister when she comes today what they ordered at Nicola's and how they liked it. I know she said she only ate half and had the other half the next day.

Shadows! I am glad adding some vegetables is giving you some extra energy. Did you write down your dessert recipe for future reference? You can't go wrong with pb and chocolate.

Marilee, my daughter is a Janet Evanovich fan too. I wonder if she has seen the movie yet. Terrific that you are feeling healthy and your car and computer are working well!

FF, what have you been doing this weekend? I am sure listening to some lovely music. How is the new cassette player working?

Jenny, it scares me too on how easy it is to slip up. I maintained at the same weight for months and then put 5 pounds on since TG. Yes, every clean day builds on the next and it is so much easier to resist falling off the wagon. You tell yourself, I have done well for 3 days so don't mess up now.

Artemis, how did you cook your venison. Do you marinate it first?

I came across two recipes yesterday on the "New Posts" section. I am not trying them yet as they have veggies. Another 3 pounds down I might give them a try. One has angel hair cabbage cooked with a little chicken stock and then mixed with a wedge of garlic and herb baby bell cheese and some chicken or other meat. Low cal, low carb and I am sure very filling.

The other took a head of cauliflower and processed it until it was like "rice". Then cook it for 10 minutes and add a sauce made from cream, chopped chilies, shallots etc. They compared it to chili rellanos which I love.

Have a great Monday all!

Last edited by Abigale; 02-20-2012 at 03:24 AM..
Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 AM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

ABI!!!,,,CONGRATULATIONS!!!...great job having the discipline and wisdom to figure out a plan that worked...i'm so proud of you!...

i'm gonna try to really "up" my water intake this week...i topped the grilled chicken last night with thinly sliced tomato and pepper jack cheese...it was delicious...

today, i think will be:
b: hb egg white
l: leftover grilled chicken
d; beef stew

i also picked up some acv at the market yesterday - haven't had any for a month or so...
Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

hallo!!!!!!...where is everyone today?...

had the hb egg white for breakfast and skipped lunch as i wasn't really hungry...the beef stew is in the crock pot and it smells so so good...
Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #414

YES, I Am FEARLESS, but tired too!

I did nothing this weekend, not even leaving the house, Sat & Sun except to throw out the garbage. I did go out today, to get some rasberry flavored seltzer and FAYGO. I got home in time to catch about 3/5 of SPARTACUS. Then, I trurned out the light and the tv, and caught some zzzzs. I woke up in time, to catch the Dr. Oz show, which is still going on. He mentioned an appetite inhibitor called Satiereal Saffron extract ( 2 capsules a day) between 88 & 90 mg per capsule. Worth a try. I am willing to give it a test run, until I rejoin WW. I will catch up with what u all have been saying when i wake up. I am going to catch some more zzzzs. I am required to seem awake during the work day. What more will they want from me?!?! FF
Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #415

all caught up. i have an iced coffee which i am going to drink

RAT now, as they say in Texas. Watching the Antiques Road Show as we speak. Talk to y'all tomorrow at my work station (but not during company time.)FF
Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Lurking in the shadows, nothing to report.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #417
Senior LCF Member

Whew! What an exhausting day! I only got 1.5 hrs of sleep last night so I was dragging my behind around all day. I did not feel like doing my workout today needless to say, but I pushed through it. For motivation, I pulled out one of my old 2XL t-shirts from back in the day. I now wear a size small and have for years now. Sometimes I just need the reminder that if I give up because I don't feel like working at it, I can go back to that place.

Abi we are so proud of you!! Regarding the venison, my dad is my supplier. He's a hunter so we have it prepared different ways at the butcher. I know a lot of people snarl their noses up at wild game, but if prepared properly it can be better than anything you could ever buy at the supermarket. And, deer has so much less fat than beef or pork. Which is why I like it so much because I really can't do greasy meat.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Vicki! Like the new profile picture! I'm half Irish and I always love to see the shamrock! Missed you!! How is your knee doing?

FF, "Rat now" that brings back some Alabama memories! Looks like you got caught up on your shut eye over the weekend. It's a shame they require you to look awake on the job. lol

Tony, my sister said the food was really good at Nicola's. She has been there about 3 times but the other two times were several years ago. She had a pasta dish with shrimp and scallops on top. My brother in law had a special of "pork bellies". That cracked me up. I have heard of them but never expected them to be on a menu. She said they were delicious. Another person had another special of salmon that looked very good. So I guess you can't go wrong there with whatever you end up ordering.

Artemis, I don't know how you function with only an hour and a half of sleep. I feel bad for you. I know you don't have any guarantee of making up for it the rest of the week but I sure hope so!

I had another meal of "fried" chicken fingers with dip yesterday, some deli turkey, ham, swiss cheese and a slice of tomato. It was half of a wrap DH had bought for dinner so I just removed the wrap.

My sister is coming today to give me the afternoon an evening off because Thursday we are having a family dinner so I will be at Mom's all day.

Have a great Tuesday Blitzers!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 AM   #419

i was surprised there was no reaction to the saffron extract news.

perhaps some of u tried it already, and it had dissappointing results? FF
Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #420
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Hi all. I've come to a very important decision. After struggling with NutriSytem for a couple of months, I have come to the realization that it doesn't work well for me. It is slow AND it makes me crave sugar like crazy! I don't normally crave sugar - my cravings lean more towards breads and pasta and rice (although I know they convert to sugar). There is a lot of sugar in the NS foods. I cancelled my auto ship but have a cupboard FULL of it, as I just received a month's supply last week and had some on hand prior to that.

I am a very frugal person so I'm not going to throw it out. Not sure what to do about it right now.

I've never celebraged Lent - you know, giving up something, etc. But, I've decided to give up NS and go as close to zero carbs as I can - Atkins induction would probably be what I'm going to do. That way, my system will be purged for sugars and carbs and I will probably lose some inches and hopefully weight along the way.

Whatcha think?
Closed Thread