Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
they were just as good as when i am eating. they are ALWAYS good.

Answering the wish that my day would not be too taxing, let me respond thus. There is only 1 day a year which IS too TAXING. The day I file my FEDERAL, STATE & CITY tax returns to the thieves in DC, Albany, & City Hall NYC. It was warm, today, said the troll,changing the subject, but not oppressively so. Oct 80s-ish is more tolerable than June-Sept 80s-ish. This too shall pass. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
ff, what were you doing with/at America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country? I watch those every week on PBS.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Vicki, I hope you are planning on keeping your boxed up clothes because you will be needing them! I have been looking at some of the flax seed muffin recipes. There are so many options! The ones that use canned pumpkin sound delicious. I love pumpkin with all the spices - cinnamon etc. Bought some pumpkin spice coffee on impulse the other day. Knew if I didn't like it my sil would. I was not that crazy about it but might like it if I did like half reg coffee and half spice.

Was craving ham yesterday so baked one. You can't buy a small one in the brand we like so we will be eating on it for several days. I knew exactly what it would do to my weight as the sodium always does. Yup, up 2 pounds today. So I am not weighing officially this week. I will cut off all that is left on the bone on Wed. and bring it to breakfast this sunday. We are having a family get together on Sunday morning for brunch because my brother from Georgia and one of his sons will be here visiting. This is the one that went to Poland etc. in August with old college buddies. Bet we will be watching alot of slides on the computer. lol

I am doing some deep cleaning at Mom's this morning so will check back in later. Hope you all have a great Monday!

Last edited by Abigale; 10-10-2011 at 02:37 AM..
Old 10-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! Didn't weigh myself at all since Friday.....Don't want to

Have a good day everyone!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Well
I'm back from a visit to my brother's and I didn't drink too much wine and ate on plan.

The list of carbs I was surrounded with is a mile long--yukon gold potatos, garlic bread, pasta, corn on the cob, bing cherry crisp and ice cream, mexican rice and beans, freshly made flour tortillas and corn chips, cheesy puffs, custard filled donuts, cinnamon rolls, homemade cookies (about 10 different kinds--it was a reception) Arrghh! And I'm just listing the stuff that looked good to me...there was more! So I was good and refused them ALL and came home to a 3lb gain. I was gone less than 24 hours...what is that about????

I'm hoping it's just water, but it's still discouraging...I guess I just need to think about how much I would I have gained if I had indulged myself...yikes!

Thanks for listening--hope my listing of food didn't cause anybody grief but I had to get that off my chest.
Sorry just
Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

whoops hit send too soon but I guess I don't have much more to say. All I can do is keep on plan--and hope for the best. It is hard being out in the "real world" with people and maintaining this way of eating and I'm a very social person. But, I know it is what is good for my overall health too so it's not just about weightloss...In the meantime I'll live to be a hundred and everyone I know will be gone from eating all that stuff (censored myself on that one)
Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations on obstaining. I'm not sure I could have done it. I'm sure the 3 pounds is water - travelling can throw our schedules off. You'll drop it before you know it!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Since the beginning of this blitz, I have being doing my version of carb, calorie, and fat cycling. Last week I gained a little. So, for the past three days I have been keeping a food log. This is something I absolutely hate to do because it takes so much time, but it really forces me to think about and plan what I am eating. It always amazes me how small serving sizes actually are! I am being strict with myself and measuring and weighing out everything. When I lost all of the weight the first time around, that was something I did routinely. I've lost a little since doing that so hopefully it will continue for the rest of the week.

Jfinchster, good job avoiding all that! I had a similar experience when I visited my parents a couple of weeks ago. The act of traveling alone caused me to gain 2 lbs even though I didn't cheat while there. But it came off a day or two after being home.

About to go for a walk as I did yesterday. I am trying to keep my muscles loose without over-exerting them. Tomorrow is training session 1 of Week 6! I can't believe I've made it this far and I can't wait! What is wrong with me? Must be the endorphins
Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #99
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Abi, yes, I am keeping the boxes of clothes because I am bound and determined to get into them once again.

jfinchster, congrats on resisting the temptations despite the gain

artemis, I don't usually weigh and measure, too "diety" for me if that is such a word. But, occasionally I will just to make sure I am eyeballing correctly.

Today's food wasn't too bad. Nothing "off plan" yet. I only have a couple of more hours to go before bed.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/225.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
wow, jenny, i am sooooo proud of you!...i love every single thing you listed!...i'm sure most of the three lbs. is fluid...as you have told me many time, try to drink as much water as possible over the next few days and i bet you'll drop it...just watch the salt too...

i agree with you 100% that this is hard and the motivation has to come from the belief and understanding that our overall, longterm health depends on us getting to and maintaining a healthy weight...you are young, fit and healthy and want to stay that way...i've seen you do it and know you are gonna get to where you want to be...i'm here for ya, kid... :-)

abi, no worries about the weigh-in - it's salt and if you drink enough water, you'll lose it...what a weekend, huh?...i was outside and away from the computer all weekend!...

vicki, keep those boxes close by - you're gonna be in them very soon!

marilee, if you need a break from the scale, take one...you have done so well this year - i'm so inspired by how hard you've worked at this!...hope you have a great work week...

ff, how is your 4-day vaca going?...

artemis, since you have successfully lost 125 lbs. in the past, you know how to do this and have a blueprint to follow that works for you...once you get to where you want to be, you will find a good plan to maintain it...you're doing great!...

tomorrow is official weigh-in...have to be at 216.6 or below to avoid a penalty...i've been between 216.4 and 216.8 for the past two days so we'll see :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #101

nothing specific, Gibby. I just love that show

It is my fave cooking show. I am interested in cooking techniques, and the science of why and how certain products do what they do. Also, Julia is kind of cute. MORE GUITAR NEWS, Tony. On the ANTIQUES ROAD SHOW, from Raleigh, NC, there was an acoustic guitar of the Martin & Co, from 1937. It had some condition issues, so its estimated value at retail was in the $15,000 to $18,000 range. w/o condition issues it would have netted no less than $35,000 Nothing compromising about the sound, which was glorious. FF
Old 10-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Just lost a long post. ugh Will check back later. Have a good one everyone!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Let's try this again!

Tony, good luck on the weigh in today. Judging from your scale the last couple of days it looks pretty good for a loss!

FF, I love cooking shows and decorating shows but don't do much of either, at least the fancy stuff they do. I guess I live vicariously through them. lol

Artemis, can't believe you are 6 weeks into the C25K program. You are doing just wonderful! How is the job going?

Vicki, good going staying on plan yesterday. I can think of times I just went to bed real early just to not be tempted to eat anything more.

It seemed like the fall foliage kind of popped out yesterday. It certainly looks more vibrant with the sun shining on it.

Had ham, pork roast, a slice of flax bread with olive tepanade, and brocolli with dip yesterday.

Well, if I don't lose this post too I hope you all have a great tuesday!

Last edited by Abigale; 10-11-2011 at 03:46 AM..
Old 10-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Abi, I made the coconut oil mayo last night and while blending it became quite congealed so I upped the speed and it came out creamy. Nice flavor too. However, after being refrigerated overnight, it is solid like coconut oil gets when cold. Now what do I do with it? I can't leave it on the counter due to the eggs. I see the original recipe from the previous link was made with half olive oil. Maybe I should try that next time.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

vicki, sounds like you have a conundrum over there!...best of luck with that ;-)

abi, the same thing happened with the foliage over here - better enjoy it before the rain on thurs and fri start stripping the trees...next weekend could still be peak here...

ff, wow, thanks for sharing that martin guitar info...i use a martin, but it's about 5 years old and cost about $1600...it does have a sweet sound though and it gets better with age as they say the wood "opens up" - not really sure what that means, but i have found it to be true that older guitars mellow out and deliver a louder, more resonant tone...

i'll be back with the weigh-in results...i'll be happy if it is the same as i took in more on-plan calories than i wanted to and did not drink as much water as i should have...will make up for it the rest of this week though...
Old 10-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, my mayo stays creamy for some reason. I am using louana pure coconut oil. I think I would just sit it in warm water for a little while until it softens and then put it back in the frig. Glad you like the flavor. My second batch I was out of the dijon mustard and used spicey brown. Did not like it quite as much but still am enjoying it. Good luck on getting it to be creamy again!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Abi, the job is going good. They told me that my starting project will be on gliomas which are a type of brain cancer. I have a neurology background but not in cancer so it is definitely something new and challenging.

I found out that there is a FREE gym for employees at the Med center and they have lots of classes in addition to the normal cardio equipment and weights. I might check that out next week as something to do in between training sessions.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis,
my daughter is a nurse at vanderbilt university medical center...do you work there?...i think she is in a med-surg unit on the 8th floor...

my scale sat firmly at 216.6, which means no penalty, but no progress either!...
Old 10-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Went on a good walk (up hills) today and have been eating well/on plan--the weight I put on over the weekend hasn't dropped off yet though. I know it's weird to weigh daily but I feel like I need to know what's happening. I don't know why, but the weightloss isn't happening right now. I wonder if I should try just eating fats/coconut oil, avacado, etc. for a day or two? I've heard that can jumpstart weightloss???
Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Jenny, I have to weigh daily too. If I didn't it would get out of hand. I have heard that the Atkins fat fast does help get things going. I think Dr. Atkins recommended it for one day only.

Yea Tony for no penalty!

Artemis, having a gym at work is wonderful!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Yes Tony, I am at Vandy! Really love how beautiful it is!

Some folks in a neighboring lab invited all of us to go out to lunch today. Being the "new kid" I didn't want to seem anti-social so I went. Normally, I try to avoid these spontaneous gatherings as much as possible (especially with people I don't know that well) because I can't plan ahead in case the restaurant they choose doesn't have anything I can eat. They went to this local hang out spot that served Tex Mex and absolutely no salads or any good choices. So I got a grilled chicken taco and picked out the chicken and peppers and threw away the tortilla. Meanwhile everyone else scarfed down plates of nachos and enchiladas. The real kicker is that they are all skinny and athletic! Here I am the chubbiest one at the table and I am eating less than everyone...metabolism makes no sense!

Just finished session 1 of week 6!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

it's cool, artemis, that you and my daughter are in the same complex most days... :-) you'll be skinny and athletic soon - heck, you're getting pretty athletic already!...what was the name of the restaurant you went to?...was it in hillsboro village?...it's so beautiful down there...if you have any questions about the town, let me know...

jenny, it sounds like your calorie intake is lower than your maintenance requirements and if so, the weight will start dropping soon...also, you are just getting over being sick...keep it up and i know you will feel better and better steadily...i'm sure a one day fat-fast won't hurt...i have to weigh daily too...

hi abi :-)

today:
b: LC veggie stew
l: 6 cashews
d: steak tips and grilled chicken

Last edited by tony8; 10-11-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

What a small world that Atemis and Tony's daughter work at the same university medical center!

Artemis, you handled that luncheon out with co-workers so well and didn't let it derail you.

Tony, I hate that the rain coming in tonight will probably knock off all the beautiful foliage. Looks like rain for several days, maybe an inch tonight. ):

I am trying to get my portion control back in line FF. You are such a steady eddie. I do good for a week and then fall off the wagon. I know that slow and steady wins the race.

My brother arrived yesterday from Marietta, Georgia. He will be coming to mom's this morning to show us slides of his trip to Poland ect.

Everybody have a great day and I will check in later!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:20 AM   #114

i won't lie, Abigale...portion control is a MAJOR challenge for me

I do not expect it will EVER get easy or even easier, especially in the evenings. that is where the SWISS MISS DIET hot choc comes in. Exercise, except for street walking, is becoming even more odious for me. The weather for the next three days incl today will be wet, wet, wet. but the weekend is forecast to be cool and dry. These 4 day weekends bring out the worst in me. I did absolutely nothing, and it felt good. Glad to be back at work. FF
Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, hope you can stay dry...are you polish?...my wife is half polish...nice culture...what is even more amazing about artemis and sarah working in the same place in nashville is that three months ago, one was living in nh and one in arkansas!

ff, happy you survived your 4-day temptationfest...i have the same problem...it is so much easier for me when i am in my work routine!...

i'm at 216.6 again today - wow, talk about steady and no progress!...i will drop something by friday to avoid a penalty!

b: skipped
l: meeting an old friend at a restaurant - planning on a salad
d: leftover steak and chicken???
Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #116
Blabbermouth!!!

I am still on plan WAHOO. Funny how high carb, sugary stuff isn't as tempting when I am on plan. There were cookies in a zip lock bag on the counter in my office yesterday and still there today and the aren't calling my name . . . yet. Let's keep it that way.

Oh, my mom heard that peanut butter is going to sky rocket; maybe double in price. Something to do with crops dying. Anyone else heard this?

Last edited by vli1127; 10-12-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Old 10-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #117

not really hungry, now.

i had nothing solid yet today. i left all my vitamins and meds at home. well, i am having 2 hardboiled eggs now, so i do not overcompensate later. tonight I will have two cheeseburgers (perhaps with bacon)topped with a sunnyside egg on each, but hours apart. I hope i fall asleep before I have burger #2. FF
Old 10-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Hey y'all. I've had a super busy day thus far and not feeling so super. Nothing in particular, just feel drained. So not sure what my exercise will be for the day, but it will be light for sure!

Tony you can do this! Your plan was working before right? So maybe it's just a temporary stall.

Vicki, I am the same way with sweets. As long as I don't eat any I'm fine. But if I so much as take one bite, it's over with...I may as well eat a whole dozen.

I was surprised to see that I was the same weight this morning because I woke up feeling bloated. But I have an overall net loss for the week so here's hoping I can hold onto it until saturday's official weigh-in.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad I don't care for peanut butter....

Well, just finished a carb binge...like the rest of you, one bite and I'm gone and of course, the scale went up higher than it should because I didn't eat THAT much, but that's how the scale operates. On plan and tired of going off. We are getting into a tough time of year. Need to stay strong!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, i've seen you climb back up on the horse too many times to see this as a problem...you'll be back on track tomorrow!...lol...

ff, i still haven't made the burgers with eggs on top, but it still sounds delicious!...

artemis, hope you feel less drained tomorrow...i'm betting you hang onto the loss til saturday...

good day today...had chicken caesar salad for lunch and leftover steak tips for dinner...gotta get below 216.6 by friday!
Closed Thread