Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #721
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I started the range of motion exercises suggested for knee recovery today. I am to do them 3-4 times a day, and it wasn't too bad. I iced the knee after each session and have only take a pain pill twice today.

He said that wt loss is the key to delaying knee replacement and that for every 5 lbs of wt lost is = to 30 lbs of wt off the knees.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #722
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
I was expecting 3 inches of snow last night but so far just alot of rain. Yea!! Hoping the temps don't start to drop now.

Our wood burning stove is almost ready to fire up. They put the pipe through the roof yesterday and now just have to move the 300 lb stove onto the the raised up hearth and hook stove pipe to one coming through the roof. DH put alot of wood in garage to keep it dry. I was afraid I wouldn't have room for my car. His truck may have to stay out all winter.

Had a big salad yesterday and ground beef. Made a stew for DH which has sausage, kidney beans, potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers and spagetti sauce. Something my brother in law started us making probably 30 or 40 years ago. I did pick out afew big chunks of sausage with the sauce on them. Love that flavor.

No special plans here for Christmas. Church at 8 and then with Mom still not doing that well we will come back to her house for quiche and coffee, maybe a bloody mary? I bought her some egg nog which she loves.

We know that Artemis will be going to visit her folks and FF to his brother's house. What is everybody else doing?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #723
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
abi, sorry to hear your mom still isn't feeling well...i'm hoping the holiday helps give her a little boost...

we have a pretty dusting of snow here this morning, and the tree has made it from the front yard to a position lying on the deck it's creeping it's way slowly toward the dining room...

vicki, good job on the exercise for the knee...hope you are able to get around okay for christmas...

we are staying close to home...on xmas eve, my sister and her family will come to our house...we do the traditional italian seafood thing - broiled swordfish, baked-stuffed shrimp, homemade pizza, pasta with clam sauce, etc...i will stick to the LC options with a taste of the other things...on xmas day, we will just hang out with the kids and relax...

had a nice b-day for our son yesterday...got him a vintage gibson acoustic guitar which he loved...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 12-23-2011 at 04:44 AM..
Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #724
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hi everyone.....

Leaving work soon for our office party. Not much to report.

If I don't get on the computer tomorrow - Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays to eveyone!

I'll be going to church Christmas Eve. They are having one service on Christmas morning - I'm not sure if I'm going to go to that one or not.

Abi, I hope your mom gets to feeling better soon!

Love and best wishes to all......be safe!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #725
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

happy holidays, marilee!...have fun!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #726
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i just finished gift wrapping....

it took just about 2 hrs to do. it must be a cultural thing. Ferenghi do not give gifts. We take them. Well, i am calming down with a vhs tape i found of Star Wars I-The Phantom Menace. Hard to believe that adorable little boy will become the most ruthless dude in their galaxy. One wonders what Hitler, Stalin & their ilk were like at the the age of 5, and were there any character traits at that age which would lead someone to believe there was something not quite right about them? Anyway, I will try to have as stress free a weekend as is UNHEWMONLY possible. Happy Yuletide to all!!! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 12-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #727
Major LCF Poster!

Tony and Marilee, thanks for the well wishes for Mom. She is somewhat better but spending most of day in bed now. Her mind is still good and she says she is comfortable while laying down. She is eating ok but we are having to feed her now. Just no strength. We just take one day at a time.

FF, here are some really neat fish tanks when you finally get your pet fish.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and successful New Year to us all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish bowl with glass mountains.jpg (8.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg fish tank.jpg (14.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #728
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, those fish tanks are cool...makes me want to get a fish!...

abi, i wish your mom felt better and stronger...it's hard getting old but what you do for her is making it much, much easier...hope you have a beautiful, happy christmas!...

ff, can't wait to see what you got me for xmas...you shouldn't have taken so much time wrapping it - you could have just stuck it in a bag... :-)

looking forward to a good day...i've been doing well eating-wise - i'm not in a great groove but i'm not overdoing it - weight is holding steady at 221...

hope everyone has a wonderful christmas eve!...i'll be checking in to see who is naughty and who is nice!...
Old 12-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #729
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Hey Merry Christmas to all my LC friends! Love you guys and thanks for your support
Old 12-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #730

i hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas.

Mine was lovely. They did a buffet. I ate nothing all day. I had one UNCROWDED plateful, washing it down with a glass of berry/wheat ale. Later, i had coffee with a small portion of tiramisu. That was it!! Being in control was an added dimention of the holiday. FF
Old 12-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #731
Major LCF Poster!

I just lost a long post. Hate when that happens.

Had a nice Christmas yesterday. Several friends and relatives came by to wish Mom Merry Christmas. I ate a couple of things off plan. A chocolate truffle and a couple of bites of fruit cake. Need to concentrate on water after I finish my coffee for the morning. I am up by one pound higher than I have been in a couple of years.

Just had my first experience washing Mom's hair in bed. I ordered one of those inflated hair washing tubs from Amazon. Told her I hope she doesn't look like Phyllis Diller when I take out her curlers!

FF, I think you had a very moderate Christmas dinner. You did good! How did the dogs like their presents?
Our grandkids sent Bama chew toy. All of sudden it was half gone. We were relieved to read the packaging to find out that it was edible.

Artemis, we love you too and thank you for all the support you give us back!

Tony, I hope that FF got you something special for Christmas!

Vicki, how are you getting around to today?

Marilee, enjoy your Monday and Tuesday off!

Have a great Monday everyone!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #732

i already have a fish bowl.

in my stomach. Perhaps, i will get a pet rock. They were very popular in the '70s. I got some technology, a 4000 piece jigsaw puzzle of Schloss Neuschwannstein built by King Ludwig II. As I previously said, it is very therapeutic for me to keep both my hands busy, so that I can keep them away from food. FF
Old 12-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #733
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sounds like everyone had a lovely christmas!...i love all you guys and thank you for the support you provide me every day...

my sister and her family spent a really nice christmas eve with us and then we had a wonderfully relaxing christmas day alone with the kids...hung around in ripped jeans and a tee shirt all day...watched two good movies: "warrior" and "rise of the planet of the apes"...the kids stayed in their pajamas...loved it!...got some nice clothes and the kids got me 2 season tickets to the nh fisher cats - a AA minor league baseball team 20 minutes from where we live...i love going to the games and this will give me a greater incentive!...

ate off-plan some - had a small piece of lasagna and chicken cutlet and eggplant parm, but didn't overdo it...i was brave enough to climb on the scale today and it was 221.6, which was a pleasant surprise...i am .6 lbs. above where i was on september 12th and i'm gonna consider that a victory of sorts...i will try to get below 220 by the end of the year and use that as a jumping off point for serious weight loss beginning in january...

artemis, hope you are feeling well and enjoying being home with your family...are you heading back to nashville today?...

abi, hope mom doesn't look like phyllis diller, although the last time i saw phyllis, she looked better than she did 40 years ago!...

ff, you did a FANTASTIC job on that christmas buffet...think about how much of a change in behavior that is over a few years ago!!!...

marilee and vicki, how were your christmases?...jenny?...mama?...shadows?...who am i forgetting?...i wonder how kbeth is - i miss her too... :-)

have a great monday everyone!...

today:
b: 1 hb egg white (the last one i think i will eat for awhile!)

Last edited by tony8; 12-26-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Old 12-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #734
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Nice holiday season so far this year. My favorite new thing was a LC Christmas casserole I made for breakfast. It was a seat-of-the-pants variation of a more carb-ridden recipe, but it came out really well. I think everyone had 2 pieces.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #735
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

look who just emerged from the shadows! ;-)
Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #736
Major LCF Poster!

LCShadows, I used to love breakfast casseroles in my high carb days. What's in your recipe?

Good going Tony on maintaining your Sept. weight. Ready to start the New Year and keep moving on down. Your Christmas day sounded wonderful. Kids in their jammies and watching movies! Calm and peaceful.

DH has been watching the Indiana Jones marathon. I have caught some bits and pieces with my coming and going. The special effects are amazing and the creepy crawlies are disgusting.

Mom's hair looked fairly presentable thank goodness. My brother and his son arrived. He will take Connor and his cousin up to Mt. Snow this morning for the boys to snow board today and then come by Mom's for a visit. It is hard to think of people skiing not far from here when we don't have a drop of snow. Tonight's going to be nasty weather I think, rain changing to sleet and snow.

FF, we saw afew beautiful castles when we lived in Germany but never saw Neuschwanstein Castle. Would have loved to. I think the Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disney Land was modeled after it. I am no good at puzzles. I am impressed you are up for the challenge.

Hope to hear from everyone today! Have a great day!

Just noticed this completed puzzle on daughter's facebook. Family completed it on Christmas Eve. Very cute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puzzle.jpg (81.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Abigale; 12-27-2011 at 01:59 AM..
Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #737
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, that's quite a puzzle, abi!...sounds like you have some fun planned for today...how old is connor?...will you be skiing?...

good day yesterday - leftovers last night in moderation...i can now tell when i'm eating enough to maintain, gain or lose, and right now i am maintaining...my goal is to drink a LOT of water today - wish me luck! ;-)
Old 12-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #738

one of the nice things about the visit....

was one of our guests brought a dvd of Signore Bocelli's recent concert in Central Park. It looked and sounded great on my brother's most recent acquisition, a large screen LED tv. Likewise in the basement as well. They are not by any means purveyors of opera or classical music, but Bocelli is an exception to that rule. how can anyone not like to hear Bocelli? (that was a rhetorical question). I hope my new table is up to the dimensions of that 4000 piece castle. There is another jigsaw of one of Ludwig's other castles. I saw it at B & N. I would like to get that one, and put an 8 X 11 photo of him between the two. Now it is time to focus on the big burn. No more yuletide culinary or gastronomic hijinx. Back to basics. FF
Old 12-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #739
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey ff, it sounds like you took a wonderful musical journey this weekend...hope the table can hold that puzzle, cuz if not, you may have to spring for a larger apartment... :-)

good day so far:
b: 1/2 small banana
l: 3 oz. eggplant parm
d: maybe some steak, peppers and onions
Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #740

or at least a wider table.

so, i under-estimated my retirement date by 6 weeks. They get the benefit of my expertise through 2/15/13. The sacrifices I make for you HEWMONS !!! FF
Old 12-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #741
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

I am happy to see all the rain last night did not result in one snow flake falling around here! Looks like all the ski areas are in ok shape.

Tony, my nephew is 19 and he and cousins were the only ones on the slopes yesterday. I am not a skiier I am afraid. I never skied growing up in Vermont. Only sledding and ice skating. When Dh was stationed in Germany we went to a "learn to ski" week. He was a great skiier. Actually did some ski jumping before I met him. I loved the ski week and we went skiing a couple of times more while over there. When we returned he was stationed in Huntsville, Alabama and then we stayed in Alabama for many years. So never skied again. Now I don't have the free time and I am scared to death I would break a leg. I could cross country ski but that is too much work for me. lol and the little I have done was not fun.

FF, bummer about your retirement date being 6 weeks later than estimated. But it will be here before you know it!

I have had the last piece of quiche minus crust for breakfast. Hoping for a good day eating wise.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 AM   #742

it is odd that u should mention the slopes, Abi....

as today is the 30th anniversary of Switzerland ALMOST declaring war on the USA, and it was all my fault. On Dec 28, 1981, I was on a beginner's slope, when a lady friend, on the more advanced slope asked me if i had a lozenge or cough drop as her throat was scratchy. She liked it and asked me what it was. i said "Ricola". she asked me to shout it as she could not hear me. I said " R I C O L A" which started an avalanche, which caused 3 villages to buried in deep snow. I can't go back there again. FF
Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 AM   #743
Major LCF Poster!

Ha Ha FF! You always get me to laughing!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #744

i am enjoying my salads but....

paying the price. quite a lot of trips to the commode. Perhaps my extra-terrestrial physiology is not used to it. but, if that is the cost, i will pay it. I want all my clothes to be falling off, and the stuff that is now too tight, will fit right by May 11, 2012. FF
Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #745
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Good morning!

Thank you for asking - I had a very nice Christmas. I got on the scale this morning and OMG-I've gained a ton of weight. I'm not even going to post it.

Oh, well, my goal for this year is to lose 100 pounds. That sounds like a lot, but it's only 2 pounds a week, which is very reasonable and doable.

I'm glad everyone had a nice holiday. My mind is really geared for the new year - I'm getting this organized at work and at home. Cleaning out drawers, closets, etc. Doing things I've been postponing, etc. I'm very motivated for 2012 to be an excellent year in all areas.

Well, back to the salt mine! TTYL!

BTW, I love jigsaw puzzles and I have a ton of them. I haven't done any in years due to the kitty factor. I miss it.

Marilee
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #746
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
look who just emerged from the shadows! ;-)
I'm here -- every once in a while anyway.

Abi, I didn't exactly have a recipe. What I did was sort of based on a Christmas casserole that is popular here in southern Appalachia and sort of based on a recipe I got from Fresh Market.

The local dish takes a 9x13 casserole dish and places cooked sausage or ham or venison in the bottom, then a pound of white bread cubed in the next, then a cheese layer, and then a dozen eggs scrambled with milk are poured over it and it is baked for about 45 minutes. There are lots of variations on it and it can be dressed up or down, but it is very commonly served here on Christmas morning. It can be made the night before, stored in the fridge, and cooked fairly quickly before/after church.

The fresh market recipe is similar, 9x13 casserole dish, baked 45-55 minutes at 350 degrees. Its ingredients include:
12 eggs
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 c cream
3T honey mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and diced
4T butter (1/2 for sauteeing apples, half for drizzling over top of casserole)
2T sugar
2-1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
1-1/2 cups cooked ham

I didn't want the bread in either recipe or the sugar/fruit in the fresh market one. And I'm not big on pork, so I substituted a local chicken sausage.

So I used:
10 eggs, scrambled with 1/2 cup cream and 1/2 cup water
1/2 c pepper cheddar
1/2 c smoked cheddar
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup mushrooms, cooked
2 oz (2 large leaves) raw kale, stem removed and torn into bite-size pieces
8 oz local spiced chx sausage links (no casings)
dried sage
salt and pepper to taste

I layered in the other ingredients and then poured the egg/cream/water mix over the whole thing and baked it. Cut it into 8 pieces, which made a nice sized slice. You can serve with a side of fruit, vegetables, meat/fish or LC "bread". I had a leftover slice with a FF/SF cinnamon flax muffin and that was delicious.

Very impressive puzzles. Do lots of people do puzzles with their families at Christmas?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #747
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I had a good Christmas and ate a bunch of crap. Today is day 2 of a precleanse of a detox I am doing. Tomorrow is the 3rd precleanse day and then on to 5 days of juice fast followed by a post cleanse day. I hope I can keep it up. I didn't weigh myself, but I should be able to tell how clothes fit and how I feel.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #748
Major LCF Poster!

Today Mom turns 91 and we will be having a little party this afternoon for her. At thanksgiving my niece gave her an amarylis bulb and it just bloomed this morning. Mom got me to take a picture of it, she was so pleased.

I had a good very low carb day yesterday. After the quiche I had some bacon, horseradish cheese and ground beef. Plan to do the same today. Something about this time of year with the New Year coming up it helps to motivate me to make "a new beginning".

I see Marilee, you are feeling it too and Vicki with the detox going on. Great way for us all to start the new year. I have been reading Seth's journal on LCF. What an inspiration he is. He lost 100 pounds last year and I don't think he back slid at all. What determination and focus he had.

LCShadows, the recipe sounds very good. You can't go wrong with eggs, cheese and sausage. Will keep this one in my file.

What's going on today with Tony and FF?

Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #749
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ABI'S MOMMY!!!!...please give her a big hug from me!

hey guys, sorry i was mia yesterday - i have been swamped trying to empty our store out by the end of the week - the closing is scheduled for next wednesday - can't wait!...but i was not near a computer all day...

ff, i didn't know salad could send you to the commode...hmmm...wow, i can't believe it was you who started the infamous "ricola incident of '81"...i think reagan had to send alexander haig to smooth that one over...we all know what a diplomat he was!...

abi, happy to hear you are gaining motivation to hit the new year hard...i am too...i was at 222.4 this morning so i've been up and down in a 2 lb. range all month...i've been enjoying eating whatever i want in moderation this week and starting monday, i am gonna get serious again...

shadows, southern appalachia?...where the heck are you located?...good to see you, btw :-)

marilee, happy you are getting ready for the new year - i bet you lose that 100 lbs!...don't sweat the past - remember, it's the past and you have survived it!

today:
b: 1/2 banana
:-)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #750

i was just reminiscing about many things re:

would i have done it differently if i knew then what i know now? the answer is NO. I made the right decisions at the time. I will go with that. I was also remembering about 1974 on this very date. I was taking up yodeling, and the vanilla cream got stuck in my throat. i could have choked. I eventually gave it up. i could not remember the words, anyway. But seriously, i am so looking forward to 1/1/12. It really puts VEGAS into reality mode, and I really am going to "put the pedal to the metal" to get some serious weight off. I do not even have any apprehension regarding tonight's weigh-in. I know I am at least 10 lbs above what i was on 12/1/11. what is done is done. If i have to mull over every lb, i would soon be back at the coffee-truck status of 4/1/10. I am going to start the New Year off with a BIG steak. then i will be doinbg major salad/veggie, and smaller critter portions. I believe i can do that through May 11. So, the only advice I can give is to enjoy life, and come back on 1/1/12 ready to give them low carb hell. FF (btw there is a whole lot of material on the LOUNGE section of LCF that I fear is going unchuckled. It is there to assuage the stressful situations going on in our lives. Dare to be amused!)
Closed Thread