Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #661
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Good idea about the kettle on top of the stove, Tony. We had a wood burning stove when we used to live in Huntsville, Al. Always had a kettle on it. DH picked up the stove yesterday. It is a refurbished "All Nighter". He and some buddies will install it in the next couple of days.

FF, I also have one of those perverted metabolisms. I could also eat a 7 course meal 3 times a day. My mother said when I was a baby I used to eat so much she asked the Dr. if my stomach could burst. Fortunately I didn't have a weight problem until my 20's but always was a big eater but the out of whack metabolism was there from the beginning.

I'm going to read some of the new posts today to see if I can re-motivated.

Talk to you all later! Have a great Thursday!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 04:52 AM   #662
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i cannot keep track of my music either. Tony.

I have accumulated so many vinyls, cassettes, and cds over the years, I will need a few lifetimes to get them all in. I am making a nighttime sortie (well, early evening) to get me a much need cassette walkman and cd walkman, on Friday after work. I feel very ill at ease after dark. But, it is worth the sacrifice. It is great to be able to do my walks and listen to music at the same time. It will take attention away from my feet. If i get hit by a truck, I will go out in harmony. FF
Old 12-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #663
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, have you considered an ipod?...so much more convenient and versatile and you can put thousands of songs on a device the size of a large postal stamp!...

abi, good luck with the woodstove...i may get our tree today - wonder what is left on those tree lots?...let me know if you read something that inspires you :-)

made steak tips on the grill last night and they were very good...gonna start with an hb egg white this morning and maybe end with grilled chicken breasts tonight...

artemis, how are you doing, kid?...
Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #664

my brother may get me one for Christmas.

but, i prefer to stick with the technology i have come to know and love over the years. You cannot put the artwork that goes into a vinyl album with all the text, and performers and background info into an ipod or mp3. there is no difficulty in slipping a cassette into a cassette deck,and press PLAY, be it the home audio one or the walkman. same goes for a cd. Well, tonight is diner night (take home). i am saving at least 34 WW points for BABY BACK RIBS. I will make my own bbq sauce. I am gonna make it a little extra hot,(Franks hot sauce with the chinese mustard) and add a little liquid smoke...just a little. Sometimes i feel like trying something new...new to me that is. Sat, while the opera matinee is on, i will FINALLY get around to grating the celery root and making my celeriac latkes. If it is good, i will make more. This Sunday I will do my Christmas lights photography. The area is conveniently by THE BAKERY & is famous for its Christmas decorations. (Bay Ridge, Brooklyn) I hope yall are enjoying this time of year. It is great to have our IRAQ veterans home. Let us hope that they do not have to go back again. FF
Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #665
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, all i can say is i hope your earth brother gets you an ipod - it will change your musical world!...you'll see :-)

today, so far:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: skipped
s:?
d: looking like grilled chicken, but that could change

holding at 220.6, which is NOT a good thing! :-)
Old 12-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #666
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hi all. Santa's fat elf here......don't ask....

There are so many goodies that we are receiving from our stations and cable networks. As you know, my department works in media (TV and Radio and cable stations) and they are sending all kinds of non LC things. I have to admit....I can say no for a while, but it's here 24/7 and I'm not that strong. For example, yesterday we received 20 containers of gourmet ice cream, all varieties, with 3 jars of chocloate sauce, sprinkles, etc. Come on!!!! Really?????

So, since I am the queen of self-flagilation....everynight I get a "whipping".

How is everyone else doing?

Marilee
Old 12-16-2011, 01:57 AM   #667
Major LCF Poster!

Very windy here today. Some tree branches in road on way to Mom's. Hey, it's better than snow! I am not dreaming of a white Christmas. lol

Did get afew Christmas cards written out yesterday on my afternoon off. Not much of a night off as I kept nodding off before 7pm.

Technology has left me in the dust too, FF. With my new phone that does not have a little key board I don't know how to leave spaces between words if someone texts me (which is rare) My daughter has learned to figure out what I am saying even if the one word is really 10 words all stuck together. I could read the manual but that's no fun.

Gosh Marilee, I don't think I would have the will power either being inundated with all those goodies. Only one week left of all the craziness and you can get back to normal. I love your Garfield profile picture. Yesterday's cartoon was Odie running by Garfield with ornaments hanging off his ears. Garfield says "Odie's been drinking from the Christmas tree stand again" So true, with a dog and two cats you know they are drinking from the stand. lol

Tony, no inspiration yet. Came across one post where the person is thinking of adding nuts to his diet. Oh boy, not a good idea to go down that road. I see alot of people do this one day of eating whatever and the next cut back to 500 calories. They call them up days and down days. Not sure how much success they have in the long run. I don't want to get into eating high carb or allowing myself to eat too freely. Not good for my personality. I would be into the up days everyday before long. I will keep reading though.

Hey Vicki, Artemis, Jenny and LCShadows. Hope everyone is well and have a great Friday!

Last edited by Abigale; 12-16-2011 at 02:00 AM..
Old 12-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #668

gibby, any way u can re-gift those goodies

to the homeless, to the hospital pediatric ward, orphanages etc etc.? there's gotta be a way. I had 1/2 of the BABY BACK's yesterday, using my own bbq sauce. I had a small bottle of Frank's hot sauce in my fridge for 6 months. When I finally got around to using it, it wasn't there. So I added extra hot mustard, and a little liquid smoke. It was not as large a portion as I remember, or maybe i was too hungry. It was about 7:45pm that i sat down to eat. My last swallow before that was at 1:20pm. Tonight I will have the other half with string beans. Very busy weekend ahead. At least I will have a 3 hr period during the opera matinee, to wrap my Christmas gift for my sis-in-law's mom, AND grate some celeriac for my latkes. I hope it tastes really great, as i have been talking about doing it for months. I managed by some freak miracle to finish the day with only 28 of 52 WW points consumed, and 13 net gr of carbs. If i can conquer the night on a consistent basis, that will be a great gift. It is a struggle all the time. If it was not for the music, it would have been too overwhelming for me.Later, y'all. (why do i say y'all? it is because i originate from the southern continent of my home world, Ferenghinar) FF
Old 12-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #669
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, that sounds like an almost impossible environment to survive in...i would just try to resist when you can, limit the quantities when you can't and that way you will limit the damage...its almost impossible not to indulge here and there at this time of year...

my strategy at this point is to limit the damage for the rest of the month and attempt to lose in january...i am going to try to hover where i am and not gain until then...

ff, good job only eating half the ribs...supposedly hot sauce revs up the metabolism, so that was good too...

abi, i'm hoping we have a snowless winter, but what are the odds of that?...i'm not sure i could do the day on and day off thing either...

still eating too much at night but not gaining - my calories in are equaling my calories out and the "ins' are just too high even though they are LC...

very happy weekend ahead as my daughter is coming home for a few days for the first time in 6 months!...having a big family gathering on sunday, so we have lots to do...no xmas shopping done yet and no tree etc...i may be a bit scarce!...

hope everyone has a great day!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #670
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Hey guys. Had another couple of light seizures, but still making it. Some months are more symptomatic for me. I've dealt with it for 10 years now so I guess I can go another 10 Trying to eat what I can whenever I feel like it. I haven't weighed in over 2 weeks since I've been sick, haven't even thought about it and it's oddly liberating!

Abi, varying my calories helps me a lot. And, also varying carbs. (Have you read any of the JUDDD threads?) I just try to write everything down nutrition-wise and plan meals ahead so that it doesn't get out of control on the up days. I'm not keeping a food journal now because I have other things going on. I have seen a number of folks that JUDDD helped as well as a number of folks who it urged to binge. Like any other plan, it just depends on the person. But I know several people who also do that plan staying true to LC, you don't necessarily have to eat high carb foods if that is a concern.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #671

always glad to hear from u, Artemis.

but so sorry u have to deal with those seizures. i hope u get to enjoy Christmas all the same. i so loved the ribs, but i could not find the hot sauce. i bought it months ago, in the expectation that once the weather got cold enough, i would want to up the heat factor of my food. So i added more chinese mustard. not the same. i am certain that as soon as i buy more hot sauce, i will find the old one. I pray that by this time next year, the challenge of night-time hunger will not be a life and death struggle after every sunset. I had imagined in July, that i will have lost a big chunk of weight by year's end. I was wrong on all counts. My next challenge is to reach 249 lbs by the time i board that plane to VEGAS on 5/11/12. I have no doubt that i will lose a nice amount during the week i am there. I always lost on vacations. This time, I believe, I will NOT gain it back when I return. My chief concern with i PODs is that I dare not fall asleep with one of them on the premises! FF
Old 12-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #672
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Artemis, I'm so sorry about the seizures! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

ff-I can't re-gift as most of these are gifts to the department and are shared by 12 of us. At least I can say I didn't eat all of it or everything The gifts I am receiving just for me, I am regifting...I received a box of chocolates yesterday and I'm going to re-gift it to my Pastor and his wife. They are having an open house on Saturday for the congregation for cookies and tea so I'll bring them a gift, as well. Oh, and I'll just have tea, thank you!

I just found out my dad (Vicki's grandfather) has prostate cancer. He's 98 years old and they don't think it will be fatal.....we'll see what the oncologist says.

Every year, the employees of our company pitch in and get a gift for the owner and his wife. The last several years, we have been giving them a check for a charity that they requested. This year, they asked that food donations be given for the Phoenix Rescue Mission. We had a goal of 500 non-perishable items. With much humility and joy, I am happy to report that the 28 employees contributed 1002 items! You should see the lobby!!! There are mounds of food around the Christmas tree to be delivered this afternoon. Now that's Christmas!!!!

Must get to work....sorry I was so chatty.

Last edited by Gibby; 12-16-2011 at 09:44 AM..
Old 12-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #673
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis, so sorry to hear about the seizures...hang in there...we are all thinkin about ya!...wish we could help...

marilee, that is AWESOME!!!!!...kudos to all of you!

ff, you are a hoot - sorry i misunderstood about the hot sauce...i thought liquid smoke and mustard was hot...

up to 221 today - oh well, back to where i was on 9/12...sheesh, this is hard...so far today:
b: skipped
l: sauteed LC veggies
d: leftovers and there are peppers, onions and sausage in the crockpot...been cooking for many hours :-)

Last edited by tony8; 12-16-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #674
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, enjoy the bagels...i love them but haven't had one in a long time...the last time i did, i took 1/2 bagel and sliced it into 3 thin slices - then i toasted and buttered and cream cheesed two of them...got three servings out of 1 bagel that way...
Old 12-17-2011, 03:22 AM   #675
Major LCF Poster!

Artemis, how are you doing today? Did your folks ever get to Nashville before they were flooded out? Are they able to get back into their home yet? Wishing them the best. I have looked at the Juddd threads but not enough to see what kind of success they are having. Do you know?

FF, great that you are a "big boy" now and keep all the bagels at your place. You have come a long way! Your Ronco #4 sounds like super knife. We used to have a fiddle knife when we were into making bread in the bread machine. It would slice every slice the same thickness.

Tony, enjoy your daughter's visit and your family time. It will be such fun!

Marilee, sorry about your dad having prostate cancer. Hope he will be ok. Hard on Vicki too to be worried about her grandfather. So nice of you to regift your chocolates to your pastor and wife. I'm sure they have alot of people coming and going at their house and it is nice to have something to offer.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #676

just when i though i was out of it...

they pull me back in again. There was no buzz from my colleagues at work, about getting our boss a Christmas present, so I am going it alone.Hard to shop for a woman, as my 3 ex-wives can tell you. Also, Petland Discount was closed when I was there. They open at 10 a.m. even during Xmas season. So, I will have to get the dogs their presents tomorrow. I am sure there was at least 1 canine at the manger. Now I can enjoy the rest of the day. I walked no less than 2 miles, and I am too pooped to start chopping wood for the hearth, to make breafast. So I ordered a western omelette with pork sausage on the side, and a large coffee black, no sugar. I got the cream here. With that I will enjoy 1/2 well toasted bagel, buttered with 1 thin slice of Jarlsberg cheese(1/2 oz), and a scant T of diabetic jelly. Next meal will be eventide(steak, maybe?). I am so distressed that some us have serious illness in the family. It is hard to know what to say to make it better. I just wish everyone here will try to have as wonderful a Christmas/Chanukah/Festivus/Dies Solis Invicti as possible. FF out.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #677
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

alright ff, i've known you for almost two years and no mention of ex-wives - i'm not buying it :-) and for whose dogs are you buying gifts?...

great to have sarah home!...making prinme rib for dinner - will report later...
Old 12-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #678

what can i say except that I am a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Predictability clashes with my essence. Tomorrow, I shall be checking out a source for sugar free candy canes. I hope it checks out. I like to use them as a swizzle stick in tea or low carb hot choc...i suppose it would work with coffee as well. I expect to do as much walking tomorrow, as today AT LEAST!!! FF
Old 12-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #679
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I have been busy the past few days getting fiance' moved in, son home from North Dakota and meeting his girlfriend and other son back in the states along with wrapping up the semester. Surgery is on Tuesday and I am on the interview committee at work looking for a new faculty and we wrap that up on Monday.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:30 AM   #680
Major LCF Poster!

Gosh Vicki, you really have a busy schedule right now. Wishing you the very best on the surgery Tuesday and hope you recover from it very quickly. So wonderful your son is getting back to the states for the holidays and other son home from North Dakota.

FF, yum, a sugar free candy cane in my coffee. Now that sounds down right festive! Speaking of dogs at the manger, we have quite a crowd at Mom's stable. My younger brothers were always buying new additions. We have 2 sets of wise men, a rooster and we do have a dog. The little kids always play with them when they come to visit. Some of the little ones are now parents with their own little ones. Well the dog suffered a broken leg at one time and someone glued a wooden match stick on in place. Every year I have to reglue it back on after a get together. By the way, are you buying presents for your brother's dogs?

Tony, love prime rib! Nice and rare and tender. Did you finally get a tree? Prices are probably pretty reasonable now.

Artemis, how are you doing this weekend? Hope you are feeling good now.

Marilee, do you have to work all week or do they let you all go early on Friday?

Jenny, are you doing alot of Christmas cooking or will you be eating at your Mom's?

My older sister, husband, 2 kids and their spouses and 4 grandkids leave on a cruise on Christmas day. It will be one of those kid friendly cruise with "Sponge Bob Square Pants" etc. lol Will also be stopping by the Atlantis complex. We are all so jealous. I hope they have a wonderful time.

I made a new dish yesterday. It was chicken breasts cooked in crock pot with franks buffalo wing sauce and a packet of ranch dressing poured over the top. Wow it was hot. I liked it but will tone it down the next time I make it.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #681

no luck with the sugar free candy canes.

the place that was supposed to have them did not exist in the area in which it was supposed to exist. I will have to google them. I will then order a truck load, so i will only have to order them once. I could do no real walking today either. My feet refused to co-operate. I DID get the ROMULAN WARBIRD Hallmark tree ornament, and I decided a tree ornament would be a nice little gift for my boss, other than Star Trek. She is not a trekkie. A Hallmark tree ornament is a limited addition,so it should get more valuable over the years. I now have about a dozen STAR TREK tree ornaments. I may also get a tree next year (artificial- i.e.FRANKENtree) to properly display them. For the first time since I re-inducted, I got a small pack of Hersheys sugar free ind. wrapped chocolates. The suggested portion size is 5 pieces. However, each portion has 24 gr sugar alcohols. If I were to consume 1 portion. I would be spending yuletide on "the throne". I like to put one piece in a cup of coffee, or low carb hot choc..or under my tongue like a nitroglycerine tablet, and slowly let the choc. infuse my mouth. FF out.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #682

nearly averted disaster.

i waited too long to eat, and my hunger really came on like gangbusters. Between 12:30pm & 2:30pm, I devoured 38 of of my daily WW 52 points. So, right then & there, I turned off the lights, and lay down, not expecting to fall asleep. I woke up 2 hrs later...NOT HUNGRY. I am safe now. I will get a small rib and a happy family for an additional 12 WW points and 5 gr carbs. I will see still be under 20 for the day. So looking forward to the structure of the work day, barring any surprises. FF
Old 12-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #683
Major LCF Poster!

Close call, FF! Thank goodness for naps! That has really helped you lately hasn't it.

I finished off the chicken yesterday with the franks buffalo wing sauce on them. Did not put any extra sauce on. I do really like the flavor as long as I go easy. I don't think DH will want anymore of it. Way too hot for him.

Busy this morning so will try to check back later.

Have a great Monday everyone!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #684

i managed to stay within Induction levels carb-wise.

However, it is safe to say that I used up all my 49 optional WW points for the week. I also totaled the 10 piece pack of Hershey's sugar free FRANKENcarb chocolates as well. No more. i am not buying it again. The thing of it is, i was not in the living room listening to music. i was in the bedroom watching TV. Watching TV is a VERY VERY fat inducing activity.I am learning from my mistakes. So, it is time to ask: What will we do in BLITZ VIII that is different from the previous VII??? FF
Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #685
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! Everyone is so busy....it's that time of year, isn't it?

Abi, our office Christmas luncheon is Friday at a very nice resort in Paradise Valley. After it is over, we get to go home, so it will be a short day.

We get Monday off, because the holiday falls on Sunday and I'm taking Tuesday just because......

Vicki, we need to talk so I can get updated on all of the news at home. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Let us know how your surgery comes out.

ff-one ex is enough for me!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #686

vicki...we all are here for YOU re: the surgery.

I have no doubt that YOU will be fine. FF
Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #687
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Our thought and prayers are with you Vicki. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #688

i was going to let it sit for a while..but since i seem to be too convincing,

there is no exwife 1, 2 or 3. i am happily single and expect to leave this world w/o a change of status. When I return from (earth)brother's house next Monday, i will pay a short visit to my fake house in the Hamptons to celebrate FESTIVUS in the 2 solaria, and take my 2 horses out for a ride. I think i can afford 2 fictitious horsies as well. FF
Old 12-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #689
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Thanks for all of the well wishes for my surgery tomorrow. I will be off radar I expect, we will see. After we were done with the interviews and selection today, I came home and made 4 different kinds of cookies. EGAD
Old 12-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #690
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
hi all!

so glad to see the blitz - and all of you! - are still here.

i haven't checked in a LONG time, but have been thinking of everyone and things that were said on this thread lately. i am now in my ninth month of pregnancy - yay! and expecting my second daughter sometime in the middle of january.

while i have been eating mostly healthy throughout my pregnancy every few weeks i go on a bender. my goal is to attain back-to-back abstinence from sugar and certain other foods that make me feel sick. i make all homemade amazing healthy food for my daughter and i am feeling like a big fat hypocrite for eating this crap myself! at almost 3 years old now, she definitely notices what i eat so i eat really well around her. i have the sugar bread etc when she's asleep. it sucks feeling like you're sneaking and as i said earlier, like a hypocrite. i want to be an example to her, not a fake. i do believe in the way of eating that i am trying to instill in her. why can i not do it for myself??

at any rate, just wanted to take that first step and give a voice to these feelings and hopefully turn things around.

ALSO, i know i am going to need all the energy i can get with a toddler and a baby girl and sugar and refined carbs suck that energy right out of me...i've got about a month until i give birth and i would love to be on a better track by then.

thanks for listening.
much love,
Closed Thread