Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Just got off the phone with my mom and she said the roads are clearing from the water so I will be able to get home! Now I've got to get to baking. So much for making the cake sugar free...I needed splenda but the store was so crowded when I went by that I didn't even stop. Oh well, the rest of the family will enjoy it. I will try to squeeze in a workout between baking and packing. You all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #512
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
artemis, have a safe trip home - we'll all be thinking about you...

ff, i still don't know how you commuted 4 hours round trip to work out - you amaze me!

abi, hope you have a great day at mom's tomorrow...i know what you mean about loving and dreading the holiday...this one is especially tough as it is all centered around food and carby food at that!...

we shall survive!...

having a good night so far - the stew was awesome - i love this new crock pot - it is the type where the lid seals like a mason jar...so much better than the other type as nothing ever dries out or burns no matter how long you cook it...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #513
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
well, Tony, I won't make that mistake twice.

if I join a gym again, it will be much easier and quicker to get there. re: THE STEREO, partial victory. I just do not have the manual dexterity to assemble the cartridge to the tonearm head. I know someone who may be able to help me. But he has few business hours. When he is not on vacation, he is open on Sat from 10am to 1pm. 1st to the bank, and then to this guy. I hope he is open. He will probably charge me a fortune, and the cartridge was $24.95 + tax-AUDIOTECHNICA. Why don't they make things idiot and troll proof? Well, the radio sounds great, except of course in the sub-bass octave. I have to figure out where to put the cassette deck, and the graphic equalizer, and possible cd player. My (earth) brother unloaded 2 cd carousels on me. the 1st one sucked. i am hoping player #2 will work. U see now what I mean about Ferenghi and earth technology? I may eliminate the butter from the turkey equation. Too much of a bother. PROCRASTINATION...I am paying for it now. Of course, I will still have a happy TG. I hope y'all do the same. FF
Old 11-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #514
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i buy the pam cooking spray with 100% olive oil - good for the heart,,,i will coat the outside of the turkey and then add a little salt and pepper...it will make the skin crispy and tasty!...

he shouldn't charge you more than a few dollars to install the cartridge...all he has to do is screw in two tiny screws!...

we will be calling my daughter in nashville at 5:45 a.m. central time to wish her a happy TG before she leaves for her nursing shift...IT JUST WON'T BE THE SAME WITHOUT HER HERE THIS YEAR, BUT WE'LL TRY NOT TO SHOW IT...oops, hit the caps lock key and am too lazy to fix it...

i did finish the day off well yesterday so i'm not expecting any disasters today, on the scale or off!
Old 11-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #515

i am certain, Tony, that your daughter misses u =ly.

However, at least u will be in communication with her by phone. I hope u and everyone have enjoyed, or are still enjoying your TG repasts. To add to your enjoyment, technology,yes, earth technology played a bit of a joke on me today. I had bought my turkey semi-frozen, and kept it on the top shelf. It was thawing too fast by Tuesday, so I moved it to the bottom shelf. Yes, HEWMONS, when I took it out of the fridge it was FROZEN SOLID!!! I actually laughed out loud, as if I was watching an episode of SEINFELD. I moved it back to the upper shelf. I will make it this weekend. So, I ordered TG dinner from the diner-for under $20.00 with tax. Not a bad deal. I will have to compensate with as much footwork as I can tolerate this weekend. I woke up too late to get to the bakery. I went to bed no earlier than 3 a.m. this morning; not because of caffeine overload, but the excitement of moving the stereo into the living room, and the temporary dissappointment of not yet being vinyl ready. Yes, the cartridge needs those 2 tiny screws to be screwed in. Most appropos of the relation between yours truly and terran technology-SCREWED AGAIN. Nonetheless, I watched my movies, and listened to my classical radio station. Altogether, quite relaxing. I am ready to go back to work tomorrow. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 11-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #516
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
LC Disappoints

I hosted Thanksgiving at my place today. My mother requested that we have "real" food and not low carb. So, she brought the hashbrown casserole, real pumpkin pie and brownies. I had the turkey (no hormone or antibiotic raised), faux sweet potatoes made with cauli and pumpkin, a pumpkin pie cake, and a stuffing made with "corn" bread (almond flour), and a cranberry fluff (SF).

Well, I was so disappointed with my LC foods that they all went in to the trash, except the cranberry fluff. I don't feel satisfied at all. The turkey however was awesome. I made a brine last night and let it soak overnight.

At Christmas, I am having real food!

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
Old 11-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #517
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i had a little taste of everything today but not much of anything...i was very pleased with the way i made it through the day...whew!...one huge day down...

vicki, if you have just a dollop of things, it won't do too much harm... :-)

ff, sorry you did not make it to the bakery today, but sounds like you got a good deal at the diner and they do comfort food so well...you must be asleep by now if you didn't get to bed til 3 a.m. last night!

looking forward to hearing everyone's TG tale... :-)
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #518
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Thanksgiving went well but I am thankful it is over. We had 10 adults and two little ones. I got to Mom's at 4 and had the turkey stuffed and in oven at 4:30. I had to unload 5 side dishes, a table plus the 22 pound turkey and get them into the house without waking up Mom, my older sister and her husband who had spent the night. Sister came downstairs at 4:30 anyway and we had a good time whispering and laughing while she peeled and sliced sweet potatoes for the casserole she was making. I didn't stuff myself but did have at least two dollops of turnip, butternut sguash, dollop of cranberry sauce, a large green salad, one bite of sister's casserole, some turkey, a piece of my low carb double layer pumpkin cheesecake, a glass of wine and early on, around 10am a hot and spicy bloody mary ( one of our yearly traditions). I feel fat today as I expected I would and hope that today will be very austere in the eating dept. for me.

I do find it hard to cut back after a steady eating day. My system still wants more food the next day or two. Will just have to take it one hour at time and resist the overeating. No leftovers to tempt me thank goodness.

Need to get on the road. Hope I hear from everyone today and hear how the rest of you TG went. Sounds like Tony and FF had good ones.

Last edited by Abigale; 11-25-2011 at 01:27 AM..
Old 11-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #519

back at work. i am feeling, thanks to the gods, very well.

i shouldn't after what i ate! the Pumpkin Pie and coffee was the best part. Well, of course! I did not get thos way from protein/fat, but from protein, fat, starches, and sweets, being way over the line with the last 2. Tonight, I am going to Shoprite more to walk up and down the aisles than to buy anything. I guess u could say i have been down the aisles more than Mickey Rooney, Frank Sinatra, Elizabeth Taylor, & the Gabor sisters added together. Happy Friday, HEWMON blitzers. Love & Profits: FLAT-one more month to Christmas-FERENGHI
Old 11-25-2011, 04:33 AM   #520
Blabbermouth!!!

I am doing dollops next time LOL.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #521
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki and FF, you are making me laugh!!

It's almost 9am and my stomaching is really growling. Knew this was going to happen. It is saying, "where is all the food? You fed me constantly yesterday" .

Going to hold out as long as possible and show it who is boss today!

Bring on the water!!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #522

vicki, how do u make your brine?

i will try it with the next turkey i make (after this one, i mean). once i am retired,and have more time, i intend to hone my culinary skills. i would really like to entertain, and i do not wish to dissappoint. FF
Old 11-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #523
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Well, got on the scale this morning - BIG mistake. And I only had a dollop of two things yesterday. Drinking lots of water today and back on plan. This is going to be a tough month, but I am determined to lose weight in December, not gain!
Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #524

i am also putting my stomach to the grindstone, Gibby

the only indulgence will be Xmas dinner at (earth)brother & sis-in-law, but JUST Xmas dinner. the secret to minimize disaster is to make conversation which will slow me down, and make me eat slower. Ergo, i will be eating less calories. I will have 4.5 months of intense lc and exercise between Dec 25 & before VEGAS. Whatever i weigh before 5/11/11, it will bemuch more important to be as energetic as possible. I expect to return from VEGAS at least 5 lbs lighter than when I arrived. I always lose weight on vacation. Then I put it back when I get home. NOT THIS TIME. Have a great weekend all. FF
Old 11-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #525
Major LCF Poster!

Had computer problems at my usual sign in at 4am. Shut it down, went to Mom's to get her up for the day and now it is working.

Marilee, I am with you and determined to lose weight in Dec. Putting on the majority of the thanksgiving dinner really stressed me out and when I am stressed, I overeat. So am gradually calming down and we are not having another dinner like this until Mother's Day and I plan to be in Missouri at daughter's house that weekend.

FF, that is great that you always lose on vacation. I wish that would happen with me!

Will check in later! Have a great Saturday everyone!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #526
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i just wish i was on vacation!... :-0

went to connecticut yesterday to the in-laws and had a nice day...ate LC except for a couple more dollops - love how that words has become so prominent for us...lol...

still feel fat - gonna have to hit this hard between now and christmas to avoid disaster...good thing i have you guys!!!

LOTS of water today!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #527

let us ALL get tough on ourselves for the next month through year end

EXCEPT FOR XMAS DINNER. This troll may have his head in the clouds, but his feet and stomach firmly on the ground. I swear by my ancestors who created the RULES OF ACQUISITION, that not only will I stay VLC, but I will see to it, that more than 50%, at least, of my liquid consumption will be plain water and/or sodium free seltzer. NOW, for today's adventure: I went to this place not far from me, who had fixed my tape deck 2 years ago (and, believe it or not, still to be connected).STRIKE ONE-closed. Then I got lucky, I found a place 8 streets from the B & N in Bklyn called MUSIC MATTERS (7th Ave & 14th St). No charge for attaching the cartridge to the tone arm shell. However, I had done some damage to the 4 colored wires that connect to the cartridge. He sent me down 7th Ave to a repair store. I will have it next Sat at 10 a.m. for $19.95. I am elated. On the way home, I stopped by the little music store to thank him again. I DID offer to get him some coffee and a pastry, but he already had them. It is so wonderful to find an honest businessman. "The way to true profit is to give your customer what he asks for the 1st time. " That is a rule of acquisition I created in exile. Now I will have some lunch, and later this afternoon, a turkey will be resurrected. FF
Old 11-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #528
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, congrats on finding a decent human being - sorry you messed up the wiring though...can't wait to hear all about the ronco-ed turkey...

that 29-lb. turkey i bought was ridiculous in so many ways...first, i filled a huge heaping platter with less than half the bird...when the 7 of us were done eating, the platter didn't look like we had eaten a thing!...

we keep picking at it and there are 2 huge containers full of just meat...unbelievable!...my wife just went out to get pie crust - which i will not eat, but she is going to make 2 turkey pies to freeze and there will still be so much turkey, we will never eat it all...i see turkey salad in our future as well...HELP!!!

having a good day - haven't eaten much at all...my stomach doesn't feel great, so i'm taking advantage of that...

marilee, hope you are doing okay and are starting over like the rest of us! :-)
Old 11-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #529
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, that's a production, vicki!...i bet it makes a big difference, but if i know my buddy, ff, he was hoping for something simpler...
Old 11-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #530
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, all we had left of our 22 pound turkey was the carcass. lol Older sister took that home to make soup. Sorry you aren't feeling that good but it is good we can look at the bright side and use it to our advantage.

FF, doesn't it warm your heart when someone does something to help you and then not charge you an arm and a leg. I thought that was very thoughtful of you to go back and offer the man some coffee etc. It probably made him feel good that you had appreciated his generosity.

Vicki, the brine sounds delicious. What kind of container did you use to marinate the turkey in? Like your Christmas tree!

Marilee, your profile picture is adorable. Love little kitties.

Artemis, hope you had a wonderful time at home and aren't too tired from all the driving.

Jenny, how are you feeling and how was your Thanksgiving?

Still not back in the groove all the way. Still overeating and up several pounds. Out to breakfast this morning at the diner I think. Will probably have the usual scrambled eggs and bacon. Did not get to watch the whole Iron Bowl game last night. We always root for Alabama over Auburn. Alabama won! Daughter's household of 6 are a house divided. 3 for Alabama and 3 for Auburn. Not sure who Boo the dog was rooting for. We know who Bama was rooting for. She got a treat everytime Alabama scored!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house divided.jpg (45.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Abigale; 11-27-2011 at 02:33 AM..
Old 11-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #531

i would have to do something about the brown sugar.

i will file this away for after retirement, or after Vegas. I went to bed early, ergo the turkey gets done today. I may have to look for a new barber. The place I go to is open on Sunday, because he is closed on the Sabbath. Well, just like the audio guy on 18th Ave who is ALWAYS open on Sat. & WAS closed yesterday, this fellow who is ALWAYS open on Sundays was closed today. It is a conspiracy!!! I have not yet seen any feedback on my suggestion that we all get tough on ourselves from now to year's end. I am to be sure!!! FF
Old 11-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #532
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

actually, ff, i am seriously thinking about going easier on myself for the rest of the year...don't get me wrong, i don't mean that i am not going to eat LC or work hard to get to goal, but i may abandon operation 1derland and its restrictions and penalties for the next several weeks...i'm gonna sleep on this decision and come to a conclusion tomorrow...

it's not that i don't think it can work, it's just that i am in a frame of mind where i do not feel good about punishing myself...although i acknowledge my weakness when it comes to food, i also have shown a considerable amount of strength in the last 1 1/2+ years...

i chose to skip weighing for the last few days and just enjoy the holiday and use my desire not to gain weight, rather than the threat of a penalty to motivate me...so i weighed in this morning and was 218.2, which was .8 lbs. UNDER what i weighed the day before TG...i see that as a major victory and a reminder that i am in control of whether i lose or not and i have to be able to find the right reasons if i am ever gonna get to goal...

so, i'm leaning toward removing the restrictions and simply making good decisions each day and see where that leads me for awhile...i will still weigh in daily and have a twice a week official weigh-in but may remove the penalties...

today, so far:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: steak tips
s: steamed broccoli
d: ?

Last edited by tony8; 11-27-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Old 11-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #533
Blabbermouth!!!

Abi, I marinated it in a huge stock pot. I was going to marinate it in a cooler but the brine spread out too much for the full submersion of the turkey.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #534

there was a reason why i am going "tough"

when i ordered the TG dinner, all that starch set up an old fiend, and i succumbed to 3 days of binging which concluded just before I turned out the lights yesterday. I do not perceive my pants getting tighter, but weigh-in is Thurs 12/1/11. I just hope I have not crossed back over into 3domland. I will do as VLC as possible right through May 10, 2010 (except XMAS dinner). I have no other choice. btw, can u smell the turkey? It's got about 1 more hour to go. FF
Old 11-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #535
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, we both know you gotta do what you gotta do and what you gotta do changes over time...i applaud you for knowing when you gotta get tough :-)
p.s. hope you enjoyed the binge!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #536

yes, i did enjoy the food i vacuumed.

the turkey is done. it is late. i will slice it off tomorrow. it's delicious, as expected. Kudos to Ron Popeil as well!!! FF
Old 11-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #537
Major LCF Poster!

FF, glad the turkey turned out well. I want to get real tough with myself from now until Christmas too. Going to boil some eggs when I get back home this morning and if I want to eat I will have to have an egg first. Don't really like hard boiled eggs unless they are made into deviled eggs. Maybe this will put the brakes on with the overeating for me. Just thinking about having to eat a hard boiled egg makes me feel nauseated.

Tony, one of the things I like about this site is that we are free to change our plan at a moments notice. It needs to be what works for us and keeps us motivated. If our plan is making us feel down it isn't going to work for long. By the way, at the diner yesterday they had it on the country channel. Good eating music!

Vicki, I can picture that working to keep the whole turkey submerged in the brine. Have you ever had a deep fried turkey? I have not but hear they are delicious. Everytime I hear the allstate commercial about people burning down their houses it reminds me of one of my co-workers at the resort in Gulf Shores. His sister and husband were frying a turkey under their home. It was on an island in Orange Beach, Al and was built up on stilts. Well the grease caught fire and burned the house to the ground before the fire dept. could get out there. How traumatic!

Have a great Monday all. Hope to hear from Artemis, Marilee and Jenny today!

Last edited by Abigale; 11-28-2011 at 01:20 AM..
Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #538
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

where oh where are the missing girls?????

ff, tell me all about that ronco turkey?...was it crispy?...moist?...

abi, i agree about changing plans when we need to...i have decided to eliminate restrictions and penalties for a couple of weeks and see where that gets me...i had a good day yesterday without them...if i start gaining as a trend, i will re-evaluate as that is NOT an option... :-)

hb eggs are only 'okay" to me but i've been throwing out the yolks which i like best, and the whites are a healthy protein breakfast with very few cals...i go through phases where i can't stand to look at them though ;-)

i'm thinking baked haddock tonight but that could change!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:56 AM   #539

i am not even upset about the binge.

it happens from time to time. If I was not conscious and focused it would still be going on. It happens, and we move on. FF
Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #540
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Hey guys! Sounds like you all had a great holiday. Mine was full of mixed emotions. My grandma is really sick from the treatments but at least I got to see everybody and also spent some time with my brother's kids. They are still young enough to think I'm cool, lol.

So Thanksgiving Day was high calorie for me which I had planned. I managed to stay away from all starches during the dinner which I was really proud of but then when it was time to cut the birthday cake for my Dad, I was talked into eating a small piece. The rest of the weekend went pretty well, I managed to get workout in both friday and saturday. But, though I avoided most starches, I did eat more salt than I'm used to and didn't drink enough water. Thus, today I felt very puffy. And I was afraid to weigh. Lots and lots of water for me today!
Closed Thread