Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #481
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Marilee, did you do anything special for your birthday? Hope is was relaxing and fun for you.

Artemis, sorry about the car accident. Glad it was just a small one. Terrific on the 4 mile run. What do you use for syrup on your pancakes?

Tony, I can see why the kids love your stuffing. Delicious ingredients. One more thing I will cook for TG is tiny pearl onions. My sister will take over for Mom on Wed. this week so that will work out great to get stuff cooked, mashed etc. and ready to reheat the next day. When you have so many sides it is hard to have enough oven, stove top and microwave room to get everything hot and keep them hot at the same time. Maybe we should carry it all to a Picadilly and use their steam table. lol

Jenny, I would have all the side effects too if I read what they were. Your husband is right about staying off the internet but I don't think I could do that either. I always think the real answer is out there somewhere, that someone has figured it all out or has the magic plan. Your decision to keep positive is the way to go. Hope you have more energy today.

Vicki, I don't know why we let the number on the scale determine how we feel for the day. I have let it effect my emotions for the day either up or down depending. Wishing you a good day and hopefully a drop on the scale today. If not today, tomorrow for sure!

Have a great and restful Sunday everyone. Will check in later!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #482
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They served breakfast at the school gym across from church during the Christmas Bazaar for a donation so we ate there. Mom enjoyed looking at all the booths of craft items etc. I had my usual scrambled eggs and bacon.

The temperature was nice here yesterday. I think it got up to 60. I will try to remember days like this when we have 2 feet of snow and temps in the 20's. brrr

I saw this on someone's signature last night and it made me laugh.
"If vegetarians love animals so much, why are they eating all their food?"

Hope you all had a great day yesterday. I will check back later!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:47 AM   #483
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
wow, i am away for one day and everyone else EXCEPT ABI, takes the day off too!...sorry, 'bout that, abi!...missed all of you yesterday...

it was a crazy weekend and to be honest, i am so used to posting on here, i thought i had done it!...it wasn't til this morning that i realized i had not...was pretty busy yesterday running around with the kids, but i finished a song i had been working on that i am really happy with...it was inspired by a couple of friends who are battling serious illnesses right now - one a 15 year old girl with leukemia...these kind of songs are hard to write without having them come out sad or corny or contrived, etc., but i feel like i accomplished what i wanted to...

jenny, i have a close friend with a thyroid issue and she is doing beautifully...the adjustments to her meds are infrequent and fairly seamless - periodic bloodwork tells them what they need to tweak...she has no side-effects at all, so i think this is going to go very well for you...i know what you mean about the internet though - i do that myself!...

artemis, sorry to hear about your accident - my daughter had her first-ever accident in nashville - must be something in the water!...

vicki!...don't sweat the scale...have a good day today and then tomorrow and the scale will take care of itself...

be back a bit later...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 11-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
It's so rainy and gloomy here. I didn't get out at all yesterday. Since I have to get out to go to work, I am going to take some clothes and try out the free gym.

Tony, the drivers here in Nashville can't drive! That's the problem! I have never seen anything like it.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #485
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i'm back. ergo, the gloom, if any should be gone.

i was just reading all the weekend posts. i have missed quite a lot. hope all the meds adjustments work out fine. i hope the MRI is negative, and relieved the car accident was not serious. I did NOT walk the walks this weekend. Just getting in and out of Shoprite was stressful enough. i got a comparatively small bird, a tad over 11 lbs. that will do. I did get rid of at least 100 video-tapes. (that was round 2). I have another closet to hit-next weekend. I did not get around to moving the stereo yet. Tonight, the computer returns ($265.00). It was not a virus, Luciano said, but something about the power. Anyhow, after the Antiques Road Show, I will have a go at moving the stereo. It is not about the actual moving, but the reconnecting that makes me apprehensive. But, if I put the radio on, and it works, I shall be able to sigh with relief, and Tuesday(after work,), put the new phono cartridge in, balance the tone arm, and then decide which recording gets played first. FF
Old 11-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #486

going back to vlc...

with as much portion control as i can tolerate. OWL with or w/o portion control has not been working for me. i will not go over 20 net grams, and hopefully do 1/2 of that on the average. the strategy will be to keep as busy as possible, get in a lot of plain water, which i have recently begun doing. I was slipping for a while. And I love plain water, so why do i cease drinking it? i have been drinking it all day yesterday and today. Nothing wrong with the other stuff in moderation. Now that i will have my stereo in the living room (i am not going to bed tomorrow night, until it is up and running), i can lie down on the rug, and do leg raises, and, with a 5 lb weight in each hand, i can do lifts until they fell like 50 lb weights (1st i have to buy them) I can do more active exercises in my bedroom to dvds which will not vibrate with my movements. Alltogether, it looks like a productive late fall-winter-spring until my Vegas trip. FF
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #487
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, great to have you back bro - missed ya...good luck with the stereo move...

artemis, sorry to hear it is gloomy there today...we sent our daughter some pecan rolls from a craft fair in nh on saturday and an apple pie from some bakery in tennessee today...it is gonna be sooooooo weird not having her home for the holidays...it is the first time ever that any of our children have not been home on a holiday...i hate it!

good day today:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: salad
d: broiled chicken breast
not enough water though...will do better tomorrow...
Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #488

when u mentioned your song about the 15 year old girl,

I thought of Christopher Cross's song, 'Hey Laura'. I hope it does not come to that. But it is a beautiful song, as I am certain yours is. Perhaps, one day I will be able to hear it...live. How are your voice lessons going? As u can see, i have my computer back. He (Luciano) will come back in Dec (when I have some more $), and do something, so that I can play my DVDs on here. I got in contact with my friend Maria, who lives in Queens. I had not heard from her in months. She does not live in a great neighborhood. I would never have known she was immigrant, to hear her talk. She came here w/o 1 word of English, fluent in Serbian, Russian (she is Russian), and Italian. There were no bi-lingual programs then. She is totally assimilated. We might meet for the matinee of 3/17/12. We both have a mutual friend in Berlin, who is a singer opera, operetta etc. He is on facebook. I know nothing about facebook. I will have to learn. Tonight, I had my usual chinese repertoire, except I tossed the last 3 ribs. I am so happy about my decision to stay alone, and do it MY WAY. It is a pity I could not find 1 low carb person to share my TG table. I would have made it quite interesting. Later on this evening, I am moving the stereo. Why am I so damned apprehensive? Talk to y'all tomorrow. FF
Old 11-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #489
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope you got the stereo moved ok FF. I always have the same apprehension If I have to move my computer in the past. I would number everything with pieces of scotch tape and hope that the tape did not fall off before I had a chance to get it hooked up. This is a great time of year to get in touch with old friends. Facebook is easy to get on and I like it because it helps me keep up with daughter and family. Lots of pictures and just day to day activities.

Tony, I feel your pain of not having your daughter home for the holidays. I miss mine alot. She will enjoy getting the goodies from home. You can get a Skype for about 20 dollars and hook it up to your computer and then get to see her as you talk to her.
Wonderful you were inspired to write a song over the weekend. We hope that you let us know when these are recorded so we can get a copy and enjoy them.

Artemis, did you try out the free gym yesterday? Is that the one at work? How did you like it?

Jenny, how are you doing?

Hey Marilee and Vicki! Hope you both had a good weekend!

Talk to you all later!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #490
Senior LCF Member

Tony, sorry that you can see your daughter on TG. I may actually be in the same boat come Thursday because my parents are under flood watch.

FF, I think it is reasonable to be apprehensive. It took me forever to get my tv and dvd player, etc hooked up when I moved. Then when they hooked up the uverse box and my internet box there are a thousand more cables. I wouldn't dare move it now!

I had to work 2 hours over yesterday and I was running around all day. So I did not go to the gym. If I get to leave on time today I will. Funny thing is that I lost that pesky fluid pound I had been hanging on to the past couple of days. And I came no where near my water quota and feel quite dehydrated today. But my calories were extremely low because I didn't have time to eat. We shall see what today holds.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #491

well, i made the move.

tonight, i will make the connections. Those speakers are quite heavy. So i had to put them down, then pick them up several times. But, I love them. the sound that comes out is truly warm and realistic. they are just weak in the sub-bass octave. I will have to deal with that in 2012. It is gonna rain, rain rain later today and all day tomorrow. so be it. I have lots to do in the house. Thursday, I intend to be out of the house by 6 a.m., so i can be at the bakery by 8. Of course, i WILL have to take the buses home. If I have too late a start, i will have to forego dessert. Perhaps, I can do something with the can of pumpkin puree. If I mix 1/2 cup with some whipped cream and splenda, and chill it, perhaps it will be like a pumpkin pudding. FF
Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #492
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i wish you lived closer as we could have shared a TG dinner...we will have both carby and low-carb options...had my 5th voice lesson yesterday - i think i will have three more...it has helped a lot...taught me better control and given me some confidence...i put myself down too much as a singer/player and i'm gonna stop doing that...i am what i am and it's not too bad...

abi, i do have skype, but never use it...i used it once for a songwriting conference call...i think sarah has it too as she has a friend in the peace corps...i SHOULD ask sarah to join us for a holiday chat...thanks for the idea!...

artemis, hope you make it home for TG...they've had enough floods in that part of the country to last a century...we had to drive over a hundred miles past several washed out bridges to cross the missouri river last summer...i know that's north of you guys, but still...

i had a slip last night...after i posted, i should have been done eating and i went to the kitchen to get some water and caved and had a piece of pumpkin bread, and then another, and then a cookie...i felt awful all night and i feel sluggish and crappy this morning...because i cheated on a restriction, i get another automatic restriction before i even weigh in today...probably will be two restrictions...the first is no fried food...the second will be no pasta if i weigh in high...

i'm sorry and feeling ashamed of myself...i also feel fat and i am going to try to eat very little today and tomorrow so i don't go into TG day feeling like this...i will keep you posted on my progress...thanks for listening and the lesson is the same one i've learned 20 times this past year - KEEP IT OUT OF THE HOUSE!...which is impossible when you live with 5 other thin people...so FIND THE WILL is the phrase of the day!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #493
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Good morning. I need to get caught up on posts, but had to enter something.

I had a great birthday, but ate totally wrong and gained 9 pounds - can you believe that???? What is wrong with our bodies that we can gain that much weight in 3 days and it takes a month to get that same amount of weight off?!

I'm disgusted and ashamed but also angry that things are so unfair with our bodies. Now Thanksgiving is here and there is another challenge ahead of us. I have some friends that may invite me over, but I'm tempted to not go just so I won't have the food to tempt me.

Sorry to dump, but I needed to get straight with my friends.

Need to get to work - I'll read everyones posts and see you at lunch.

Marilee
Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #494
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, i feel your pain - literally!...i weighed in at 220.8 today which is 2.4 lb.s higher than i was on friday, so pasta joins the list of forbidden foods...

oddly enough, although i was ashamed a few hours ago, i realized i cannot waste too much time on that emotion and i feel motivated now...it is what it is and i still have to do what i have to do...soooo, i've decided that i am going to have a great day today and eat VLC for the next two days and drink 1 1/2 gallons of water each day and see where i am on TG morning...i know i will feel better physically, psychologically, and i think i may be able to get off these last 2+ lbs. if i commit myself to it, so that is my goal...

we not only CAN DO this, we WILL DO this!

p.s. when i get home later, i am going to go nose to nose with that pumpkin bread and let it know who is gonna win from now on!

Last edited by tony8; 11-22-2011 at 09:02 AM..
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Marilee--I know exactly how you feel--I have been so shocked at what a few days of eating off plan can do to my body. Alot of it is water...just eat well and it will drop off, we don't have any choice but to keep trying.

Tony--I know how you feel about having stuff in the house--my husband and daughter don't have weight problems--there is always something there to tempt me, ice cream, potatos, popcorn (my daughter loves popcorn and asks me to make it) I make it on the stove with coconut oil (alot healthier than the microwave kind with bad fats...) that's quite a challenge to not eat some...(the last time I made it I measured out 3 cups worth--11.5 carbs) But, I think nobody who we live with or where we go it will be there so it just something to learn to cope with. The insidious thing is we are strong most the time and then every once in a long while a slip and then we PAY!

Abagaile--I'm doing fine, still coping with the new of my diagnosis but staying positive.

FF--you know I always am for drinking more water--maybe I should have some myself right now!

Have a good day everyone!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #496
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks for the support, jenny...it is AMAZING how much we pay for small transgressions...makes you realize how much we accomplish just NOT gaining back all the weight we lose!...like you said, we have two choices and only one of them is good...

POPCORN!!!... :-)
Old 11-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #497

i must go back to the grocery store around the corner.

i forgot heavy cream. i intend to OD on caffeine tonight to help motivate me to get some needed pre-TG housework done. So, i will get very wet. that is okay, as i am going right upstairs. i will also get more plain seltzer water, so that i do not use up all the FAYGO choc soda too quickly. Seltzer water (zero sodium as opposed to club soda)is as close to plain water as one can get. Tomorrow will be the easiest cooking in history. the only challenge is prepping the turkey. Once I put the Ronco on, it will be effortless. I will take pictures of the operation in stages, and someday, maybe by next TG, I will put them on this site. FF
Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #498
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
thanks for the support, jenny...it is AMAZING how much we pay for small transgressions...makes you realize how much we accomplish just NOT gaining back all the weight we lose!...like you said, we have two choices and only one of them is good...

POPCORN!!!... :-)
I know - a couple of bagels and a couple of Danish and SHAZAM!!!! Poundage!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #499
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, all it would take is one bagel for me and i'd blow up!...and just like me, the weight you have gained will come off - a lot of that is fluid...just don't get discouraged - we are making progress just by being here and being accountable and getting back on the horse...

ff, you can cook a turkey in the ronco?...how the heck big is that machine???...

i don't think i told you guys this yet, but when i ordered our turkey from the butcher (a no hormone, special feed variety that will almost cost me as much as ff's) they said their biggest was 24 lbs. so i ordered that...but when i was in there on sunday they asked if i would take a 29-pounder instead, so i said okay...i'm not sure a turkey that big is gonna fit in my oven, let alone my turkey pan!!!

today, so far:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: 1/2 apple
s: 6 pistachios
d: salad and chicken and veggie stir-fry
tons of water...i have already drunk almost a gallon today!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #500

i have the standard size, and it sits....

right on top of my micro-wave. It can accommodate a 15 lb turkey. there is a smaller version which accommodates a 10 lb turkey. I have never been dissappointed with anything I made in there. That includes London broil, pork roasts, whole chickens. It is one of my favorite possessions. Gibby, there is nothing wrong with your body. It is characteristic of all carbon-based units, that includes extra-terrestrials too. Sustained weight loss is NOT a normal bio-chemical function. It does not take too much to swing the mechanism in the wrong direction. At this juncture, I am more concerned about not putting it back, than losing more. Of course i still have a ton to lose. but, i shall be quite relieved, if I finish off 2011 still maintaining that 76.6 lb loss. Of course, if I CAN lose more, i will be dancing in the aisles (of Shoprite). FF
Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #501
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Off plan since Sunday, 217.3 today. My knee scope is the end of Dec.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #502
Senior LCF Member

Marilee, you are so not alone! I can SMELL a donut and gain 5 lbs!

Tony, my family had to evacuate earlier this year from the flood. I am so hoping it doesn't come to that, what a sad way to spend TG.

FF, so very glad that the move went well.

I again, did not go to the gym. In fact, I am not sure that I will. I had a discussion with my coworker today and she informed me that she stopped going to the gym there because it would take her 2 hours to do a 20-30 min workout because she spent all of her time waiting in line to use the equipment. Maybe it is a poor excuse, but after running around all day at work I just don't feel like dealing with that! I just want to do my workout and relax the rest of the evening, is that too much to ask!? I have DVD's to get me by, but I don't want to lose the progress I have made with my running. She actually told me about a thrift store where she bought a really good used treadmill. There is an old one in storage at my parent's so I will check it while I am home on TG and see if it works. If so, maybe I can take it off their hands! So ready to find a remedy to this running crisis because I am sure you all are tired of me complaining about it by now
Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #503
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis, complain all you need to - it provides a welcome diversion from what is ailing some of us today

vicki, welcome to the club - marilee and i are honorary co-chairpeople today and ONLY today - right marilee?...

ff, are those roncos available in stores or on-line or both?...i'll have to google it...sounds like a good tool...it must be huge!...

good day and what a relief, although i am fighting hunger...i drank a lot of water today and will drink more before bed...and will go to bed before eating...the pumpkin bread and i had a staredown earlier and i won that battle...

hope everyone else is having a great day!

Last edited by tony8; 11-22-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #504
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Was afraid I would have trouble getting to Mom's today. Roads slushy and slippery. So I got here at 4am! lol No trouble so far. It looks like it is just raining now so maybe the roads will get clear before the end of the day. My sister is coming today to give me a break as we all know tomorrow will not be a break day. Will go home in 30 minutes and start the baking, pealing, mashing ect. Will just have everything ready to be microwaved at noon tomorrow. I am cooking a 22 pound turkey, Tony. I don't think I have ever seen a 29 pound turkey. I bet FF would love those turkey legs!

Just shoveled Mom's ramp and the front walk. Boy is that stuff heavy!

Talk to you all later!

Last edited by Abigale; 11-23-2011 at 04:44 AM..
Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #505
Senior LCF Member

All this talk of TG is making me so eager to go home! I have lost about 10 lbs since they saw me last so I wonder if they'll notice a difference? I ended up getting 40 minutes of running last night after all. I just told myself if there is a will, there's a way so I ran in my house again I need to measure the distance from my front door to the back door so that I can calculate my distance. Wouldn't it be funny if I trained for a marathon in my living room

My Dad's birthday is tomorrow in addition to TG so I am baking him a birthday cake tonight. I'd like to cut the sugar and flour content back quite a bit by replacing some of the ingredients, not just for my sake but also for his since he's a diabetic. I won't be able to go too low carb with it though because it will definitely change the texture and the rest of the family may turn their nose up at it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Abi, 22 lbs sounds like a lot of turkey! But I am one of those weird people who like the leftovers.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis, i am laughing here, picturing you running back and forth...lol...good luck with the cake and i am sure your family will notice the difference - have fun back home...btw, how is your grandmother?...

abi, just rain here - thankfully!...hope you have a great TG...i've never seen a 29-lb. turkey either, but i'm gonna be introduced to one in a few hours...

i drank so much yesterday and feel a LOT better today...will weigh in in a bit, but i must have been full of insulin and sugar yesterday...my hip was killing me and my eyes were bloodshot and i felt terrible...one good day of eating and flushing has made a huge difference and will help me get through today and to be good tomorrow too...

hope everyone has a great day!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #507

glad to be off today.

i will not do everything at once., but space everything out.First, I have to make coffee. This little cave of mine lends itself to sloth. I need the caffeine rush. I got the Ronco at Sears. You save a ton on the Shipping & Handling, which is where they make their profit-well deserved in this case. Looking forward to the walk tomorrow. I have no idea of the mileage, except that it takes just about 2 hrs, whichever route I take. At the last minute, I will flip a coin. Heads-cheesecake, Tails-tiramisu. Pity I do not have a working walkman. Do not trust Radio Shack for those. FF
Old 11-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #508
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i hope it's heads, cuz i've never tried tiramisu... :-0

scale said 219 today, so i dropped 1.8 lbs. of fluid in the last 24 hours - i'm happy about that but have a long way to go...flushing again today...so far:

b: skipped
l: 1 baked chicken leg
s: 3 steamed broccoli spears
d: beef stew without the taters :-)

Last edited by tony8; 11-23-2011 at 01:37 PM..
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Artemis, hope you can get home to Arkansas for TG and am sure your cake will be delicious. Tell your Dad your friends wish him a very happy birthday!

FF, hope your day goes well. Enjoy your walk and either one, tiramisu or cheesecake sound delicious.

I have everything cooked, whipped up and ready to microwave. Thank goodness husband pealed everything. Those butternut squash and gilfeather turnips are really hard to peal. Made two pumpkin pies and also the double layer sugar free and low carb pumpkin and cheesecake pie for me and anyone else that wants some.

I am looking forward to tomorrow and dreading it at the same time. Still have to load the car at 4:30 am and get turkey stuffed and in Mom's oven by 5:30am.

If I survive I will check in Friday am. Have a great day tomorrow and be safe all you travelers!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #510

Artemis...i stopped my gym owing to travel requirements

before school resumed in Sept, i was going 4-5 times a week. once the kids returned to school, what became a leisurely 2 hr trip to the gym became a 3 hr nightmare. After Christmas (or before)I am getting a pair of 5 lb dumbbells. 5 lbs will become 50 if one lifts them enough. I have exercise videos and motivational music to do "movements" in the comforts of home. There is also an exercise room in the place I am staying in Vegas for the week I am there. I hope everyone enjoys TG. I shall talk to y'all at my work-station on Friday. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Closed Thread