Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #391
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
"A banshee is a mythological creature from Irish lore. In the Irish legend, banshee's would wail and scream in the house of someone who was about to die."

So, based on this definition, they do drink water

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #392
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
culture, shmulture, Tony.

I do it because i like it. I never do anything because it is GOOD FOR YOU. If i was really concerned about culture, i would eat more yoghurt. lol. FF
Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I don't expect to lose something everyday, but maybe something (.5lb??) every third day at least??? I'm being very strict with myself so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some weightloss when I'm only eating essentially one low carb meal a day...probably not more than 800 calories. I'm probably just screwing up my metabolism...sigh. I got my blood drawn today and will be seeing my doctor next week to go over the results. Anyways, the scale still isn't going down for me this week, but it will have to eventually if I keep it up.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
jenny, i was just teasing you...i'm sure it will go down, but i have to share the story i've shared in here before...i was never overweight until my early 30s when i started skipping breakfast and lunch and only eating one meal at night...i was told by a nutritionist a few years ago, that i had basically ruined my metabolism and put my body in starvation mode where it was holding onto everything i was eating...i did that for almost 20 years

i don't know how valid that was, and i'm sure it is different for each individual, but most everything i have read encourages having several small snack/meals a day with most of your calories coming earlier rather than later in the day...

not that i should be giving advice to anyone! :-)

marilee, thanks for the education on banshees - that was a first! :-)

abi, i ain't no carole king...lol...

ff, i know you don't do it for the culture - love the yogurt pun!

despite what i just told jenny, i have fasted so far today...i need a big drop tomorrow and hope one day won't mess me up too much...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 11-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #395
Senior LCF Member

I know I get so confused about what to be doing--you can find contrary infomation for almost any plan you choose to do...
Old 11-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Just checking in for the day. Sounds like you are all on the right track. I am super tired today! Tomorrow I'm going to go back to writing everything down in my diet book. I hate it, but it's the way I get best results. My pants fitting this week made me realize that perhaps I am converting fat to muscle which certainly weighs more, but the scale not decreasing much could also have to do with calorie consumption. So writing down will help. I have also noticed that eating induction level carbs doesn't help me lose any faster. In fact, I seem to lose more when I do induction level some days and then increase them on the other days.

Jenny, I know exactly how you feel about the scale. Last month I lost 3.0 lbs and this month so far, zippo. But I am losing inches so you might try measuring yourself.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Did well on day 2 eating two vlc meals and no snacking. Did not lose anything but feel better about myself. Going for #3. Would really like to be down several pounds by Thanksgiving. Bought the 21 pound Butterball turkey and put it in Mom's freezer. Now to start the list of who will be bringing what.

What will everybody else do for Thanksgiving? Artemis, will you have time to go home to Arkansas? Tony, will your daughter come home? FF, will you go to your hewmon brother's home in New Jersey? What about you Vicki and Marilee? Jenny, wonderful cook that you are, you are probably having to do most of the cooking at your home. LCShadows, will you plan on keeping with your IF that day?

Don't know how to act this morning. I almost got 8 hours of sleep last night. Boy, that is an unusual occurrance! Dog did not wake me up until after 3 and I hit the hay at 7 last night. Wishing you all a great Friday and Tony, hope you will have not another restriction today.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #398
Senior LCF Member

Yep, Abi I will be going home. Can't wait to see my family! I am planning to make a couple of things that I can eat without getting too off track and my mom is really good about making things for everyone's dietary needs. I've had to watch my sugars and simple carbs since I was a teenager to control my insulin, so it's old hat for her. Plus, we have several people with both types of diabetes in my family so there is always at least one sugar free dessert (which I usually make).

Anyone got any good recipe ideas?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #399

today was a great day to stay home and sleep.

it was finally cold in my apartment. I put the quilt on over my shoulders.
But not for long. Veterans day is not a holiday on my union calendar (Local 1199). So, I took the opportunity to visit a war site before stepping into the institution. I mean of course THE COFFEE TRUCK. i needed caffeine, and badly. So i got a small coffee. I am slowly getting Mr Sandman to pack his bags and leave. It will not be easy to leave this place at the end of next year. I love my colleagues, and my bosses. Of course it cannot always be pleasant, but i regret nothing in the past almost 31 years to date. Yet, on 1/2/13, if the Gods allow me to wake up, it will feel just unprecedentedly great, to just lie there knowing I do not have to get up and go to work. Still, although i can practically taste it, it is still 1 year & 7 weeks away. Well, I am looking forward to lots of walking this weekend. also, i will be playing with my celeriac to see if i can make it into latkes...but really tasty. it is gonna be fun. My mom, grandmom, and aunt always used to let me grate the potatos. i still have that box grater, and will use it for the celeriac (which I have discovered is not half celery, half yak). FF
Old 11-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #400
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Veteran's Day. Took time to say a prayer of thanks and blessings for our vets and thought of those that have gone, especially those who lost their lives serving our country.

Thanksgiving - I don't like to travel on the holidays so I will be staying home. I'd rather visit family when there isn't all of the holiday stress and we can really spend quality time together just "being". This is the first year our company is not closed the Friday after Thanksgiving off (they did give us more personal time in recompense, so it's ok), but I'm sure I'll be let off early on Friday. It will be quiet at work - skeleton staff - so I don't mind. I'm not sure if I'll be over at friends, or doing my favorite thing - staying in, not getting dressed and watching parades, football and Christmas movies. It doesn't get much better than that!!!!

No change on the scale, but don't expect to lose everyday so not a problem! One day at a time, one meal at a time.

Talk to ya later!!!!

Marilee
Old 11-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #401

absolutely Gibby re: our veterans.

Freedom is not free, and the struggle to attain it comes with a heavy price. We, when kids watched the Macy's parade, then the gorilla trinity: King Kong, The Son of Kong, Mighty Joe Young (Egg Foo's brother, i believe), and Laurel & Hardy in March of the Wooden Soldiers. After that it was turkey time. This year, i will be cutting down the tv time, and concentrating on baroque and medieval music; before, during, and after. FF
Old 11-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey guys, good to see everyone hanging in there and doing well...

ff, i can't believe you will be retiring...that must be a strange and wonderful feeling...after 30+ years, i hope you have a nice pension and can live the rest of your life comfortably - you've earned it...

jenny, ain't that the truth about contradictory information...i think common sense has to rule...moderation and healthy choices and the occasional splurge makes the most sense to me...that's why i always liked the approaches you and kbeth and others here have taken...you've set great examples for me! :-)

artemis, there is no doubt in my mind that you have gained muscle and that's why the scale has not gone down even more in the short term...but you are building a more efficient fat-burning machine which will help you lose in the long term...keep up the good work and hard-fought gains...

marilee, wish i lived closer - i'd hang with you on TG... :-)

abi, nice job on day 2 and good luck on day 3!...my daughter has to work the day before, the day of and the day after TG so we canceled our plan to go to nashville...we are hoping to spend the week between christmas and new year's there even if she has to work - we all miss her so much!

well, guys i did it again - i drank so much water yesterday that i must have flushed 2 lbs. of fluid cuz i weighed in at 216 and avoided a penalty...i am getting by, by the skin of my teeth, but i'll take it!...i fasted all day yesterday and had a small amount of pulled pork with melted cheddar on it last night - it was sooo good, but i stopped after about 4 oz., which wasn't easy!

today so far:
b: 1 hb egg white
??????????????? but i am pretty hungry right now!

Last edited by tony8; 11-11-2011 at 09:04 AM..
Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Wow guys not my morning! I went to leave for work and my car wouldn't start. A neighbor tried to boost me and it still wouldn't start. I spent all morning trying to find somebody to come and replace the battery. I finally succeeded and am waiting for them now. Also, it seems like the screen is going out in my computer again and I just had it fixed!!!!! They had better replace it free of charge or I am going to be seriously P.O'd.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

Artemis, what a lousy morning for you! Hope you have a running car and computer now. My heart skips a beat whenever I sense a car problem. Had to get jump started in parking lot of church several months ago. Needed a new battery. It was the original one with the car. Glad that is where it happened. Lots of people ready and willing to give me a jump.

Marilee, your Thanksgiving sounds heavenly to me. I haven't been able to sit around watching the parade for many years. Love some of the versions of A Christmas Carol alot. Really puts me in the spirit.

Tony, super for the loss and no restrictions. You better eat hardy today or you are going to pass out from hunger. You can always start cutting back tomorrow to get ready for Tuesday's weigh in.

FF, "Egg Foo's brother" you are so funny!! Now latkes are usually potato pancakes aren't they? Are you making this celeriac recipe up or found a recipe for them? I bet they will be delicious!

I am cooking my first meal of the day as I type. Still am on the hamburger with mayo, onion and cheese kick. I am starving too!

Artemis, years ago prior to low carb I cut this recipe out for a layered pumpkin and cheesecake pie. I never made it but came across the same recipe the other day that had been changed to low carb. I may try this for thanksgiving so I can have pie too.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...mpkin-pie.html
Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #405
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"Love some of the versions of A Christmas Carol alot. Really puts me in the spirit. "

My favorite Christmas movie! Especially the black and white ones - there are 2 of them - I love them both!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #406

Artemis, don't let the techno-wienies win!!!

if they do not fix it for free, sue their (allegedly)HEWMON a$$e$. Yes, the latkes will be a sub for the potato kind. I will grate the veggies (celeriac, and jicama separately, and a little of both together. To those mixtures, i will add some grated onion and an egg or two as a stabilizer. No spices,except SOME black pepper, as their flavors, I understand are subtle. This is all new to me. i will play with it tomorrow evening. I will put the mixture in the fridge, and make them the size of how my mom, aunt, and grandmother (the terran ones that is) made them, small and thin, using as little oil(grapeseed) as possible. It is a rarity that i try something new (to me). So, we shall see on Sunday late afternoon. FF
Old 11-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #407
Senior LCF Member

After all that complaining the scale went down today--so I've officially lost 13lbs since my restart. Maybe I should complain more often?

Abagaile--for the first time in years my mom will be doing Thanksgiving at her house, so I won't have to clean like a demon --I will be making quite a few of the dishes though...

My daughter is having her 7th birthday tomorrow, I can't believe how fast the time goes by she was just a baby yesterday it seems!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #408

i just heard on the news, on the way home...

that an anti-semitic incident occurred just a few blocks from my apartment house. 3 cars were set on fire, and the brand new benches just put in this summer were sprayed with a swastika, and the letters KKK. If only Ferenghi justice prevailed over the perps, the examples we would make of them are too brutal by HEWMON standards to discuss. I thought we were in the 21st century!!! Anyway, I hope that by this time tomorrow, I will be in possession of a ticket for the big G. I hope everyone enjoys the weekend. It is so nice and cozy in here, I am gonna sleep like a baby. FF
Old 11-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, that is despicable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...i am so sorry to hear that...it may be the 21st century but there are still plenty of neanderthals around...

jenny, just think, your daughter was only five when we met you :-) congrats on the weight loss...

made ribeye steaks on the grill tonight...wow, are they beautiful!...gotta go dig into them!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #410
Senior LCF Member

Whew! I've never been so glad to get a day over with in all my life! Got my car fixed so part 1 of the battle is done and was able to get to work for most of the day. Will let you know how the computer battle goes (that is if they don't decide to keep it!).

Jenny, congrats on the weight loss! It feels great to see those numbers dropping!

FF, that is so tragic! I think we should take all the awful people in the world and force them to move to another planet and stop polluting ours!

I sure would like to lost 2-3 lbs before Thanksgiving, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:14 AM   #411
Major LCF Poster!

FF, it is surely a frightening thing all the hateful things going on in the world but when they happen in your own backyard it can really shake you up. Stay safe! Hope you have a great weekend and let us know how the latkes turn out.

Artemis, glad your car is fixed and you were able to get to work. Now let's hope the computer problem is just a little glitch.

Marilee, I like the black and white movies of A Christmas Carol too. I think the one with Alistair Sims is my favorite.

Jenny, I had Thanksgiving at our house a couple of years ago and I know exactly what you mean about cleaning like a demon. lol Having it at Mom's is one reason I am glad that I don't have to do that too! Just doing so much cooking is enough to do.

Tony, our grill has bitten the dust so no steaks here. I am thinking about getting one of those counter top grills which we have had before just to have a good steak. Ribeyes are the best! Hope you enjoyed them!

Still sticking with my two meals between 12:30 and 5:30. Finally saw a pound drop this morning. Vicki, I hate to do it but I am not making any mayo right now but using store bought hellmans. I end up wasting what I make because I don't want to keep it that long with the raw egg in it. Know the store bought is not that healthy with the soy oil and its omega 6. But it tastes so good.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Last edited by Abigale; 11-12-2011 at 02:16 AM..
Old 11-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #412
Senior LCF Member

After the day I had yesterday I decided to treat myself to some low carb pancakes for breakfast. All of the recipes I've tried before have always fallen apart when I try to flip them on the griddle. So this time I just made it up as I went along and they turned out great! Now if I can just remember what I put in them so I can make them again. The scale said I lost 0.5 lb today but I am skeptical. If I keep it off then I'll count it! Planning to get two good runs in this weekend.

Abi congrats on the pound! Sounds like you are working really hard
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #413
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, congrats on the loss!...you have been doing so well this week and it is paying off!...is this day 4?...

artemis, if you figure out the recipe, please share it...i miss pancakes and i am surrounded by real maple syrup up here which i've been avoiding...good luck with the running...have you heard of the pancake pantry in hillsboro village?...RUN PAST IT!!!...lol...

the steak was unbelievable - too good, in fact - i kept taking small pieces but had quite a few...they were the fancy, expensive, no-hormone, etc. type 13.99 lb. but worth every penny...

gotta run out to do some errands...i'll check in later...have a great day!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #414

Lucy, I'm home!!!

And I've got some splainin' to do!!! It was a wonderful day. I accomplished all I set out to do, except at the box office. I did, however, get 2nd row Family Circle for the 3/17/12 matinee of Mussorgsky's Khovanschina. That is just 2 rows behind the last row of the balcony. Best of all, I love Mussorgsky, and all Russian composers. But no LIVE Wagner for the troll, except on the radio. So be it. I walked the walk. I was so busy people watching, I actually forgot to eat. I had 2 small coffees. I am gonna have my soup now, and the ribs later. Tomorrow is more walking (one hopes), and maybe the diner. I hope everyone is enjoying this weekend. It is gorgeous, here in the Big Apple, and more of it tomorrow. Also, it is cold in here. Perfect for soup. I wil be doing the celeriac tonight. I wonder how it will come out!!! FF
Old 11-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, Tony, yesterday was day 4 of sticking to the plan. Had another good day of the same menu and down another pound today! Now today is another matter. I will not go off the vlc plan but dinner is a birthday party for my niece. My sister in law is doing all the cooking, mostly stuff I won't eat but she did say she was cooking a small pork roast and a small chicken to go with the lasagna etc. she is making. I may have a sodium reaction because I think she gets the pork loin that has been marinated. We shall see.

FF, sorry you didn't get the tickets you wanted for the opera but happy you got some good substitutions. Love this weather too! Have a great cooking day!

Tony, I would not have been able to try just taking bites of that steak, I would have plopped a whole one on my plate and scarfed it down.

Artemis, the pancakes sounded delicious. Hope you can duplicate the recipe and share it with us!

Well, we had a sad thing happen yesterday. Mom's sister and last of her 5 siblings passed away. It was rather sudden so we haven't quite taken it in yet. Auntie Jay was on oxygen all the time but she could get around pretty good. She had called Mom last week and chatted for awhile with her and my sister. This week she was having trouble breathing so her Dr. put her hospital to give her antiobiotics. My cousin said in Thursday she was sitting up in a chair in her room and they were planning on sending her to the nursing home to get her strength back before returning home. But Friday the lung function got worse and worse. Mom is doing ok considering. Her sister was 3 years younger - 87 years old. She never watched much tv but loved listening to her scanner. She could tell you about anything going on in town. We will really miss her.

Have a great Sunday everybody!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #416

sorry about your auntie, Abi....

similar occurrences have happened in our family too. just when things are looking up, they take a turn for the worse. Speaking of turning to the worse, there wil be no walking for me today. My feet are totally useless. But, I am forcing my self to go out. I must go to the A t&T store for a refresher course re: ACCESSING MY VOICE MAIL!!! When it comes to Earth technology, COLOR ME STUPID!!! I would rather stay home, and drink coffee all day. FF
Old 11-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #417
Senior LCF Member

Abi, so sorry for your loss! It's always so difficult to go through these things.

FF, I'm with you...today is a good day to lay around and drink coffee!

Well, I get to keep my computer until Tuesday. At which point round 2 with the computer folks begins. They're gonna call the company and hopefully they will fulfill their warranty. I'm keeping my calories low today. Yesterday I had some tummy troubles and I think maybe it was just a matter of eating too much (maybe too many pancakes??). Ran a couple of miles yesterday and hoping for today too. My next goal is 3 miles in 30 minutes.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, so sorry to hear about your aunt - it's so hard to lose people who have been a part of your entire life...my thoughts are with your family...

ff, sorry about your feet...it would be so much easier if we could fly!...congrats on the tix...

artemis, good for you for running even though you weren't feeling great - that's DEDICATION!...

had a good day yesterday...went to lunch with my wife and had haddock florentine (spinach and cheese) and last night ate the toppings off 3 slices of pizza...that was it for the day...

abi, is this weird?: i'm going out for my niece's (sister's daughter) birthday too today - she is turning 10 - going to the puritan backroom in manchester which is a famous restaurant which i had never heard of until this morning!

i'll check in later...
Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Instead of running today I decided to hike on a nature trail instead. Such a glorious day and I enjoyed it so much! I got my Callanetics DVD in the mail so I will try it out tomorrow night. Think I will make another spaghetti squash for dinner. I have been making so much of it, that soon I might have to check into SSA (spaghetti squash anonymous).
Old 11-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #420
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone....I'm so sorry to hear about the bad news some of you have had - ff, there is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what century it is, there will always be bigots and bad people in our world.

Abi, I'm so sorry for your loss....you and your family are in my prayers.

Congratulations to the losers and those holding their own. I'm down 3.8 pounds since last Monday - so for a week's worth of "work" that isn't too bad.

Laid around myself today. It was only 67 and we had rain late last night so it feels like Fall for this neck of the woods.

Nothing new to report - I'll TTYL!
Closed Thread