Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #361
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i thought i did post my stats, Gibby

perhaps i did not. i re-inducted 4/1/10 at 372.8. i am currently (as of 10/27/11) 296.6 for a total of 76.2 in shoes and street clothes. It is slow going, but it IS going. It works for me, because I see to it that I really enjoy my food EACH & EVERY DAY. Also, I do not freak out when things don't go my way. There are days when eating less is perfectly fine. Then are are days when i will inhale anything zero to vlc that is NOT nailed down. Fortunately, the latter is less often than before. Also, there ARE times, when I must BRIEFLY step off to enjoy a high carb endulgence. All this taken into account will guarantee eventual goal weight, or at least 1 derland. It is only 96.7 lbs to 1derland. Not so forbidding as it once was. I hope these insights were beneficial and inspiring. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/225.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey marilee!...congrats on the loss!...i know you are back on track to stay...good for you, girl...remember, one meal and snack at a time! (i think you taught me that :-)...

ff, we are all so proud of your success - you really have defined the way to do this...i'm just hoping you don't beat me to 1derland!...

vicki, good to see you and do whatever it takes to find the motivation...i have been posting photos of angelina jolie on my wall but it doesn't seem to be helping...

well, i did it again, somehow...i was at 217 yesterday but weighed in at 216.2 today, so that is a .4 lb. drop from friday and earns me no restrictions...this sure is slow going, but as ff says "it is going!"...

today so far:
b: 1/2 small banana
l: 6 almonds
s:??????
d:??????

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 11-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #363
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
LCShadows, do you eat low carb on your fast 6? Is it helping you to lose the weight?
I think it is, Abi. Before moving over to IF, I had stalled out for 8 months on Atkins72 -- and I mean scrupulously sticking with it. While I haven't set any weight loss speed records since taking up IF, my weight has slowly continued downward. I am in my 50s and trying to lose while going through menopause, which is a recipe for frustration. So I consider my continued downward direction, albeit at a snail-like pace, to be a major victory.

Equally importantly, I got rid of the habit of night-time eating. That improved my digestion, sleep, energy level, and anti-inflammatory response. And it helped control hunger, which never entirely left me on Atkins72. (I did ditch dairy not long after going over to IF, and I think that also helped a lot with the hunger. I seem to be so sensitive to sugar that even lactic sugars register with me.)

So I can't claim that IF is a magic bullet for rapid weight loss. I don't think it is. But it has moved food out of the central role in my life into a supporting one. I have my eating hours and stick to them, and then I just don't think about it the rest of the time. I plan on healthy foods when I shop and mostly I stick to them. And if I have an occasional holiday treat or splurge, I just don't worry about it. There is only so much damage I can do in 6 hours a day. I don't take that as a license to binge, but I do take it as a license to be less obsessive.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Thanks, ff!

You may have posted your stats, but if you did I missed them. Congratulations! You are truly an inspiration and I appreciate your reminding us "not to freak out". Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #365
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
ff, congrats. Slow and steady wins the race.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
I live in southeast (usually 15 min during off hours and 45-50 min during rush hour), so not too far to drive but during this CMA traffic it's horrifying! Everyone is saying it's taking them 2-3 hours to get home. In fact, I was planning to attend both kickboxing classes this week but I don't like the instructor's teaching methods enough to battle the traffic afterwards. So I will try to get extra running sessions in or something else. Hopefully things will be back to normal next week.
Abi, safety was my main concern. For right now, running in the mornings will be my best bet but as it gets colder, I'll have to come up with another plan. I have free access to the gym, but it's a ways from my car so I'll still have to walk a bit at night. And we have had a couple of robberies lately.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #367

it is a foregone conclusion, Tony, that u WILL

get to 1derland before me. But, trust me, i will be just as happy. I had to put the kibosh on this evening's walk. First, it was election day. Second, there were bathroom issues. The two are not necessarily related. Tomorrow is another day. FF
Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #368
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
I had to put the kibosh on this evening's walk. First, it was election day. Second, there were bathroom issues. The two are not necessarily related.

Sometimes, I think they are!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #369
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i am not so sure i will get there first...and truth be told, when you make it to 1derland i will be happier than i will be when i get there - you have earned it!...
Old 11-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Vicki, the vision board sounds like it would be a good motivator. I have cut out pictures off and on overt the years of what size I would like to aim for. Never put them all on a board but that would have been better. By the way, has your Dad made a full recovery from his fall? Sure hope so!

Artemis, I know you will figure out some way to keep up with your workouts and still be safe. Traffic can be a real nightmare sometimes. They have been working on the interstate overpasses near us so much ofl the traffic has been diverted through main street. ugh

Tony, the diner is named for Ray the cook and his wife (maybe Annette?) My brother had a 3 egg western omlette, sister in law had the veggie, Mom 1/2 pancake and I had my usual 2 scrambled and side of bacon. My brother had the homefries and toast and Mom's other half of pancake. It's a good thing he bikes 30 to 60 miles at least once a week or he would be on this forum too! has no fat on him at all.

LCShadows, I need to get back to the IF today. This past week I have not stuck with it and have gone up a couple of pounds. Definately in the danger zone!

FF, I am trying not to freak out because my eating is out of hand. I am sure it is an underlying feeling of stress that I usually get at this time of year. Thinking of all the prep for Thanksgiving, extra people coming and going. My sister in law from Georgia came yesterday to help out her parents for a week, my niece from Cleveland is coming today and bringing not only her great dane, but her roommate's boxer. Oh boy!!

Marilee, great about the loss this week. FF is a wonderful example of slow and steady wins the race.

Today is our daughter and son in laws 20th wedding anniversary. Can't believe it. I remember that day like it was yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding party.jpg (58.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Abigale; 11-09-2011 at 01:33 AM..
Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #371
Senior LCF Member

Well, this time change is really starting to make me grumpy! I got up to go running as planned, but it still is not daylight and I have to leave for work in 30 minutes I will just take my clothes with me and see if I can figure something out after work.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #372

Happy Daughter's aniversary, Abi.

Gibby, that was exactly the message I was sending between the lines. Artemis, u are so right to be cautious. I was mugged at knifepoint quite a number of years ago. That put an end to my opera going at night. Matinees only after that. And now, owing to knees, feet, and lack of latinum, i cannot go standing room at the MET, not since Oct 1995. I am the last one to give exercise advice, but because i know how it is important for you, perhaps u can make arrangements to run with some friends. Perhaps u could car pool to and from kickboxing class. i am quite certain that there is a video out there for whatever exercises u want. This should tide u over till it gets warmer, and the days are longer again. Last night I forced myself to stay awake till 8pm. May the Gods forbid that i miss an episode of SEINFELD!!! I woke up at 11PM just in time to catch another 2 episodes. Needless to say this morning's Joe was 2/3 coffee (French Vanilla), and 1/3 decaf, instead of 50/50. FF
Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #373
Senior LCF Member

Yes, FF you are right. I have a few workout videos but I've done them all so much that I'm quite tired of them. So, I ordered a new one last night, Callanetics. I've heard some really great things about it and it would be something new and different to do on my off days from running. I can still get some good runs in on the weekend, and perhaps two days a week I will have to run in my hallway the way I did once last week. I may feel silly, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to get it in. I will not quit.

In fact, in my annoyance at the sun this morning I forgot to mention that I got into a pair of my size 8 slacks! That is proof that I am losing inches despite my weight not changing much (or converting fat to muscle). My scale owes me a serious apology for not dropping more! At any rate, it's enough motivation for me to keep working out no matter what it takes.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #374
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

in the "my scale owes me an apology" category, i was up 1.2 lbs. this morning...i'm sure it was water as i picked up LC chinese food last night on the way home...no msg, but i guess it is salty anyway...i didn't eat much and again went to bed early so i was expecting a drop...better start drinking!

the nice thing about nashville is that they don't get the winters we do - it gets chilly and sometimes below freezing in winter, but not often, and there is very little snow...artemis, congrats on the new pants-size!...you have really worked for that :-)

abi, thanks for sharing the photo...your daughter is beautiful and the whole wedding party looks great...congrats on raising a daughter who stayed married for 20 years - today, that is no small achievement...

ff, wow, i didn't know you were mugged!...that's horrible, but i guess it can happen anywhere...i try to tell my kids that but young people think they are indestructible...

today, so far:
b: 2 hb egg whites
s: 6 almonds
Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #375
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
Gibby, that was exactly the message I was sending between the lines.
LOL! I knew that - I'm just not known for subtlety!

Good morning!!!! On plan still....it is still wonderful to be in control. I don't know if any of you watch the Biggest Loser, but last night they had a doctor on who specializes in the brain and how it responds to scent and taste on fat people vs "regular" people. It is amazing. No wonder we have issues....our brain is not on our side.

Hi Artemis - I'm sorry you are grumpy...here in Arizona, we don't change our time so I don't have to adjust to anything except it is darker earlier naturally.

I've been so tired this week - falling asleep in my cozy chair at around 7 each night and not getting up until after midnight and then I have to go back because of work the next day. I sure am not getting anything accomplished at home. One of the benefits of getting lighter and an item on my "encouragement" list is that I won't be as tired from lugging this extra weight around - I'll have more energy.

Well, best get to work. I'll check in later.

Marilee
Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey marilee, i completely agree about feeling better and having more energy and the motivation that provides...i felt so much better even at 205 than i do at 217...that is what is driving me right now...i'm so proud of you for taking control - it sure ain't easy... :-)
Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #377
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I'm checking in:

Been doing pretty well--am trying to avoid eating until about 5 or 6 p.m. and then nothing after that--I guess it is like IF. I usually can't make it until 5 without a little something, even though that is my goal. Like yesterday it was 2 tiny cubes of cheese and some bites of a hotdog (my daughters--just the meat part.)

Then I just am eating one low carb healthy meal. Last night had asian marinated steak and steamed broccoli, green bean, red pepper and yellow zuchinni. I wonder if I didn't lose because of the soysauce/salt in the meat...had a healthy portion but didn't stuff myself.

I walked yesterday for about 45 minutes and on Sunday 45 minutes uphill climb the first part. I haven't seen any new numbers this week but am expecting to go down tomorrow or the next day.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, you sound like you are doing great!

I don't eat after 6:30 PM.....once in a while, if I get a little hungry later where I just can't stand it, I'll have a cup of chicken broth. Otherwise, nothing in the tummy!

I have to ask you all - what is "IF"?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Tony. I too am thankful they are still married. Walt is the oldest of 8 children and 4 of the groomsmen were his brothers. One bridesmaid was one of his sisters. 4 of the bridesmaids are cousins of Jennifer. Her cousin Rebecca second from the right has a beautiful voice and sang a couple of songs during the ceremony. She was singing John Denver's song "Perhaps Love" when the sheet music slipped off the stand. She continued to sing as she fumbled to get it back in order any thing that came to mind. As she sang "I have lost my place" the giggeling started in the pews. Poor Father Mike couldn't understand what everyone was laughing at. I sent the youtube video to Jen and Walt today with Placido Domingo and John Denver singing it as a duet. They thought that was hysterical.

Trying to cut back and eat in my 5 hour window as I was doing several weeks ago. So far today I have had two cups of coffee with cream , a small hamburg with mayo and chopped up onions, and one slice of cheese. Only on glass 2 of water. Had to take Mom to the neurologist today so did not have time to drink any more than that.

Marilee, I haven't ever had a chance to watch the biggest loser but would love to sometime. It seems like it would be pretty motivating.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Marilee, IF is intermittent fasting. There are some forums on here that are dedicated to that way of eating. My Fast Five is one way to do it.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

Trying not to snack and just wait until dinner which is at 5 for me. This is the time that boredom does me in. Just trying to make myself accountable.

Hope you all are having a good day!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #382

just saved $3.00 temporarily.

i had a 6 oz piece of tilapia
Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #383

fat finger syndrome strikes again.

now to continue. i had a 6 oz piece of tilapia on deck for my afternoon break (NOW), but i was NOT HUNGRY. Ergo, back in the fridge for either bkfst or lunch. Doing an hour walk after work, fortified by a small coffee-full strength. I am sending an open appeal through my Blitz HEWMON brothers and sisters: if anyone of y'all know people(and trust them) who are FANATIC about opera and classical music, could you please ask them for their e-mail addresses. This is neither gender, age, or species specific. I have an opera thread in the playground section of LCF going NOWHERE. I would very much appreciate any action in that sphere. FF
Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #384
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
We had a "dusting" of snow last night but it only covered the grass and is now gone, thank goodness.

Abi, Thanks for asking about my dad, yes, he has made a full recovery. In fact, late in the summer he actually golfed a few times. He is back spinning at the Y too.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #385

did my 1st IN THE DARK walk for 2011.

it took exactly 1 hr from 5:15 to 6:15. Of course it was in territory i can trust, not that there are any guarantees. I might have been mugged by an accountant or a dental hygienist. After the laundry, i will finish off the other half of Saturday's baby backs.......ribs, that is. Talk to y'all later. FF
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #386
Major LCF Poster!

Had a good day yesterday and plan to have day 2 be just as good. No snacking and my second meal was the same as the first, a hamburger with mayo and chopped onions and a slice of cheese. Will have more time for extra water today.

Vicki, I am so glad your Dad has recovered and able to play golf and do his spinning! What an ordeal to have to go through.

Jenny, I read in the book The Carbohydrate Addict book one time that the Dr. who wrote it lost about 100 pounds just eating one meal a day. She discovered it by accident when she had to fast for a blood test. Wish I could go that long without eating but so far eating from 12:30 to 5:30 is the best I can do. Not snacking if I can will maybe get me some results.

Marilee, how do we get our brain on our side? I sure would like to know!

Artemis, fantastic getting into the size 8 slacks. That certainly is proof you are losing!

FF, hope you really are in a safe walking area after dark. So scary that you were mugged at knife point once.

Tony, how are the voice lessons coming along?

Will talk to you all later! Have a great Thursday!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #387

nyc has plenty of people who can sing...

yet, are not affiliated with music in any way. They SING to the detectives in the major case units, and the District Attorney. Speaking of singing, i shall be probing the Metopera Box Office (64th & Bwy) for a balcony ticket for the 2/11/12 matinee of Goetterdaemmerung on Saturday. Last year it was $115.00. For $40.00 less, i can get the Met's previous Ring Cycle[Das Rheingold, Die Walkuere, Siegfried, & Goetterdaemmerung] for $70.00. I have not been to the opera since Oct 1995 for Don Giovanni (Mozart). It would be nice to see it live. Well, we shall see. If i cannot get it, then i will go for the DVDs.Ticket or no ticket, it will be a great day for walking. So, that i will do- to the B& N in Union Square (E 17 St between Park Ave & Bwy)I have not done that walk for well over a year. If my feet recover in time, i will walk to THE BAKERY for some lc treat and coffee or green tea. FF
Old 11-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #388
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Marilee, how do we get our brain on our side? I sure would like to know!

Me, too!

Good morning! Down 1.2 today. Been on plan for 3 days and breakfast today. Isn't it amazing that one has succes when one stays on plan?

Have a great day! I'll check in later.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #389
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, good job, kid!!!...you are amazing!

ff, hope you can get your tix - i have never seen an opera - i am not as cultured as i should be...

abi, sounds like you are doing well - good luck on another good day today...my voice lessons are going way better than i expected...i thought i was a lost cause, but my voice teacher likes my voice and has taught me some things that are making a huge difference... :-)

vicki, please don't send that snow this way!

jenny, nice job on the walking - 45 minutes and a lot of it uphill?!...wow, that's impressive!...you are so funny when you expect to lose EVERY day...as long as you are not gaining week to week and are trending down, you are doing great!...

i salted again last night and paid for it - up another .6 lbs....i am drinking water like a banshee today (btw, do banshees drink water?...is that how you spell "banshee"?...what is a banshee?)...making pulled pork in the crock pot today - it's been in there since 4:30 a.m....pork butt dry rubbed - i'll pull it apart later and add some bbq sauce for everyone else...

gotta drop 2 lbs. of water by tomorrow a.m. or face a penalty - i'm putting my money on the penalty :-)
Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

Getting ready to have my first meal of the day. Guess what it will be - yup, a hamburger with mayo, chopped onions and a slice of cheese. Also working on my water.

Marilee, you are inspiring me to build on my one good day to have another one! Thanks!

Tony, glad the voice lessons are going well. Didn't Carole King start out by writing and then started singing her own work? That would be so neat!

FF, sorry I don't know anyone who appreciates opera like you do but if I run across anyone I will link you up with them.

Enjoying my afternoon and evening off!
Closed Thread