Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #271
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
oh, yes...we are all victims of the LEPTIN factor.

of that I have no doubt. No, i am just fine. I should have taken action with the bookie against me. A Ferenghi far from home and w/o profits. that is the greater tragedy. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
abi, best wishes to you and mom for lots of iron in her blood today!...

hi shadows, good to see you...

artemis, i am soooo proud of you for ignoring my advice and going for it!!! :-)

ff, sorry to hear about the scale, bro...it's in the rear view mirror now - shake it off...you've lost a heck of a lot more weight than i have and have been doing this a lot longer, and i am not qualified to give advice and please just ignore what i say if it does not resonate, but i believe you might be helped by getting a scale and weighing in daily...

i used to hate weighing, for the same reasons you do now...i never, in a million years thought that i could be happier and more stress-free by weighing MORE FREQUENTLY but that is exactly what happened...first, when you weigh daily, you know that a gain happened in 24 hours and can be undone in the same period of time...it also helps you to dissect what you may have done wrong the previous day and NOT repeat the behavior again...

when you lose, you know what caused that as well...overall, it helps you to learn so much more about your body and how it works and gives you control to make adjustments in real time rather than trying to analyze 30 days of complex and varied behavior...

you will begin to be able to predict what the scale will say before you step on it because you know how you behaved in the past 24 hours...and in that knowledge comes peace and a feeling of control...and that control is the most important tool for success...

it doesn't guarantee you will make the right choices - just look at me - but it does guarantee that you will not feel discouraged when you don't succeed because you will know you can and will know exactly how to do it...

no one was more adverse to weighing than i was - until i started weighing every day and now i look forward to it...whenever i have felt discouraged by the scale in the past - often to the point of giving up - it has been after a bad week or month and NEVER after a bad day or two or three etc...

give it some thought...love ya, man...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 10-28-2011 at 08:57 AM..
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Good morning.....How is everyone today? Weight hasn't changed - have some challenges this weekend, but planning on staying on plan.

Need to get to work - TTYL.

Last edited by Gibby; 10-28-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Old 10-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #274

what u say, Tony, is totally logical.

regrettably, i haven't one logical gene in my body. I may have had large ears, but that does not make me a Vulcan(irritating snobs they are). I will buy a scale when i am within 5-10 lbs of goal (ATKINS pre-maintenance phase III)I really do not believe my thyroid meds need updating, but i will do a whole lab assay when i go back to the md (12/17/11). No, i actually believe it is a plateau. But i am jotting down now what, and how much i am consuming daily. I will keep 2 columns, carb grams and WW points. That should fix it. I got a good deal on plastic containers for the chicken soup. 10 pint containers for 25 cents eachfrom the GREAT WALL take out. Now when i get hungry at night after dinner, i will just nuke a soup. I have some nice soup bowls for $1.49 each at shoprite. I think they are stoneware. Even i get tired of eating out of containers. Gonna do a mega walk Sunday a.m. IF my feet let me. FF
Old 10-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

made it to 217 this morning so no additional restrictions until at least tuesday...keep your fingers crossed...i am certainly taking the circuitous route to goal...i though ff would like that big word :-)

today has been a light eating day so far...going out to dinner tonight with my kids and will make healthy, LC choices...it's the salt that kills ya when you eat out, isn't it?...

b; 3 oz. grilled chicken breast and some acv
l: 3 oz. grilled chicken breast and 6 black olives
s: none
d: TBD
Old 10-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
FF--I applaud your positive attitude, you have lost a ton of weight and the fact that you did not gain any weight IS a true victory. This is coming from someone who put back on quite a number of pounds I lost this last summer--if I had kept pace with you in the I would have been at goal for months! Sometimes our bodies take time to adjust and we need to just keep at it--you WILL lose weight this next month, it is just a question of how much.

I am doing pretty well this week--I have cut carbs way back and am eating less and feel quite good (not too hungry) and the scale is inching downward.

I have to laugh, because I am so much like Tony as far as weighing daily--I feel I need to in order to be more in control and know what's going on with my body, although I have been known to skip the scale when I've over-indulged because I can't bear to see the damage...and I find it frustrating when I've been very on plan, eating very little and don't lose--but I figure if I don't give up something has to give.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i'm laughing too, jenny...i hope we get to meet someday - it's amazing how similar we are...

ate all LC stuff at a buffet restaurant tonight - and ate moderately...
Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Good morning everybody! Bama wanted out at 2:50 so I got an early start for the day. They are predicting more snow for tonight, maybe 6 inches or so. I will probably spend the night at Mom's so I won't worry about getting over to Vermont in the morning.

Tony, happy you have no new restrictions! Glad you found some good low carb choices at the buffet last night.

Jenny, glad you are feeling good this week and the scale is going in the right direction.

Marilee, good luck with the challenges this weekend. If the weight hasn't changed than it isn't going up and that is always a good thing.

FF, homemade chicken soup will be a good filler when you need it and it won't be loaded with salt and msg etc. Smart planning!

Artemis, it is great that you were able to run for 28 minutes and you won't have to repeat week 8 on your C25K!

Vicki, hoping you are finding some good natural remedies and are feeling better!

LCShadows, do you eat low carb on your fast 6? Is it helping you to lose the weight?

Dr. should have Mom's results on her iron levels by Monday sometime so will call him then.

Have a great Saturday all and I will check in later!

Last edited by Abigale; 10-29-2011 at 02:20 AM..
Old 10-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

happy saturday everyone!...

marilee, congrats on holding steady and good luck over the weekend...i don't think we give ourselves enough credit sometimes just for NOT GAINING...i'm proud of you!...

had a good day yesterday and looking forward to another one today...no idea of what the menu will be...i'll check back in a bit...

abi, hope your mom had a good visit to the doc yesterday... :-)
Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

I just ran into the Dr.s assistant at the grocery store. She said I could call after lunch on Monday to get the results of Mom's test. Sure hope it is ok. Thanks for asking Tony.

I just bought a bag of salt for the ice. Yesterday Mom's wheelchair ramp was all icy and we had no salt or sand. I had to hold on to it from the front and walk down backwards. I told Mom if I slip and fall at least she wouldn't go flying down by herself. She would run into me instead.lol She thought that was pretty funny.

Just had some all weather windshield wipers put on. I had a terrible time last year with ice clogging them up and not being able to see to drive.

Is everybody else sleeping in today?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #281

Greetings, HEWMON BLITZERS, just briefly checking in.

currently, my ears are on the San Francisco Opera's Ringle Cycle-Siegfried Act I, and my nose on the chicken soup simmering in the pot. If that is not a perfect racial harmony of German/Jewish/Ferenghi cultural traditions, what is? FF.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Well it is a winter wonderland out there this morning. I have not been out to measure it yet but I think it is 8 or 9 inches deep. The clocks are flashing so we must have lost power for a little while last night. Thank goodness it is on now and Mom's house is warm. She is still sleeping but I expect a little "good morning" at any moment.

I will have a good hour to hour and a half of shoveling this morning. They won't plow Mom's little dead end street until 2pm if I am lucky so I will walk to church. The sidewalks won't be plowed so I will have to walk in the road. It will be a big exercise day!

FF, your evening sounded delightful. Beautiful music and the smell of chicken soup on the stove. Snow falling outside. Lovely.

Tony, what does it look like at your house? Hope you have power! They said since alot of trees still had their leaves and the snow was real wet there would be alot of outages.
The good thing is this will probably all melt before winter really arrives as the temps next week will be in the 50's!

Will check in with you later! Have a great Sunday all!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #283
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Just a quick fly by to say hi. Washing windows and cleaning bathroom before off to last soccer game of the season.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Guess I lost 3 lbs for the month of October. Not as much as I was hoping for. But hey, it was a big month for me. I had to get settled in a new city and a new job and I was sick twice. So all in all not bad. Plus, I've almost made it through the C25K program so now that it is part of my normal routine, I can't wait to see what kind of progress I can make in November. I am gonna set my goal high at 10 lbs.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #285

there be soup here!!!

it looks as if i will be getting my degree from NO SOUP FOR U -niversity. I graduated Soupma cum LOUDLY. Let us hope the new late night strategy works. Luciano hooked up my new computer speakers a few hours ago. It WAS worth the exorbitant amount of Latinum. Of course, where I come from, anything greater than $1.99 is exorbitant. Talk to you all tomorrow. Oh, and TRICK OR TREAT, in case I forget to mention it tomorrow. FF
Old 10-31-2011, 02:25 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

We still have no cable, no phone, no tv and no computer at our house. But we do have power thank goodness. I am on the computer at Mom's house trying not to wake her up too early. Am wondering if we didn't hear from Tony yesterday because maybe he is without power. So many tree branches down from the winter storm Sat. night.

Need to carve a pumpkin for Mom's house today. We have an electric one at our house. Love it, just plug it in and there is its toothless grin. Our driveway is like a skating rink so doubt we will get any kids tonight but need to be prepared anyway.

Did alot of shoveling yesterday. They did plow Mom's street early so I was happy to think I could drive to church instead of walking. I shoveled front walk to the street and low and behold there was a big tree limb blocking the street. I tried to drag it out of the way but couldn't budge it. I went and got some loppers and proceded to trim all I could from it. Finally got a path big enough to get through without scratching the car. My brother came over later and trimmed enough off it so he could drag it out of the street. Hoping for a nice stress free day today.

Talk to you all later! Happy Halloween everybody!

Last edited by Abigale; 10-31-2011 at 02:27 AM..
Old 10-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #287

hope your mom's tests come out well, abi.

i did not have time to read posts this weekend. i have been very self-centered. The speakers are all right for computer speakers. they have an even lower extension than i would have believed. However, not up to the standards of good audio equipment. Next step is to bring the stereo stuff into the living room. Then hook everything up. Again, the preliminary forecast for the weekend to come is no precipitation for Sunday. If so, to A.C. I go. I usually go on Saturdays (when there is no Metopera Broadcast. However the SF Opera will be airing Gotterdaemmerung, so i will be staying home. I am spoiled. coffee-wise. I made a small pot of coffee yesterday. it beat anything u can get on the outside. Savarin, and 1 T hwc. It does not get any better. FF
Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

This was our backyard yesteday after the storm. The snow measured 16" deep on top of the picnic table. It is melting fairly quickly and we just got our cable back about an hour ago.

Close to 200,000 homes still without power in New Hampshire. No heat, no lights. Hoping Tony and family are not one of these.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #289

i was lucky again. power stayed on. no leaks.

it IS a beautifully wintry scene. I cannot wait for 4:30pm. i have a good dinner planned. ONE bacon cheese hamBOOger. I was gonna have some SCREAMfields pasta, but I changed my mind. Everyone have a great HALLOWEEN. FF
Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Hey FF, the hamBOOger sounds like a good choice for the holiday. Do you get trick or treaters in your apartment building?

You asked about Mom's test. I just called the Dr.'s office. They said her iron levels were better and to keep giving her the extra iron every day. So we have had a reprieve for now thank goodness.

Yes, the trees are beautiful covered with snow. By March I won't be saying that. lol
Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
LCShadows, do you eat low carb on your fast 6? Is it helping you to lose the weight?
Generally, yes. At the moment, I'm on an extremely limited budget, so I'm eating a little higher-carb than usual, but still watching them.

To all of us on the East Coast, I hope you are all okay, have your power back, and are warm and safe.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Hoping everyone has a good Tuesday!

LCShadows, what state do you live in?

Tony, hope if your power has been out that it is back on today!

Artemis, losing 3 pounds with all you went through for the month is fantastic.

I better get on the road. Will check in later.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #293
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Abi, man did you get whopped.

I am doing like Tony, weighing in twice a week now. Today, 212.6. I want to add that my goal for this blitz is to be in onederland. I also started a homeopathic remedy for candida and am weaning off of the starches, fruit and dairy. So, mainly protein and veggies for a while. If I don't lose doing that, then there is a problem.

Last edited by vli1127; 11-01-2011 at 04:59 AM..
Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, your plan sounds very good and know you will feel better as time goes on. We did get clobbered and the poor trick or treaters in Hinsdale have to wait until Sunday to go house to house. Too many power lines still down. We are so fortunate to have only lost power a couple of times for afew hours. My niece in Durham, NH still has no power and nephew in Northboro, Mass no power. At least the high temps for next few days will be in the 50's so it is melting fast. Of course at night it refreezes so lots of "black ice" on the roads in the morning.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
To all my buds who got hit by the storm, sorry I've been a bad friend! Hope y'all are all ok and safe and warm!

Vicki, sounds like an awesome plan!

I was a total bum yesterday and didn't exercise at all. But I just felt like my body needed a rest. I did bring my workout clothes with me to work today so that I can go to the kickboxing class tonight. And I already drank a liter of water on the way to work. Wanna get Nov off to a good start!

And I also want to say that I am so thankful that we have a great support network here in this thread. I was reading some of the other ones last night and I was horrified by all the negativity, bantering and name calling. If I was in charge, I'd have those people removed immediately.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey guys,
happy to hear everyone is doing well and that those of us in the northeast, survived...i am in the office this morning, where i have internet, but we still have no power of any kind at home...using our vermont castings gas stove for heat, oil lamps and bottled water so it really isn't too bad...in some ways it is nice...

when the kids were younger, we used to turn off the electricity to the house on an occasional friday and call it a "blackout weekend" - we were totally unplugged for 2 days and we all loved it...hung out, talked, played cards and board games, etc....so, when these outages happen, we are pretty well-prepared...

been doing well on the eating front - small snacks during the day and then eating out for dinner...last night we hit an italian restaurant and although i would have preferred the veal parm, i ordered the broiled haddock...was thinking of you guys when i did it :-)

abi, so happy to hear about your mom's iron...especially with the holidays coming up, the absence of any medical procedure is a blessing...beautiful photo - thanks for sharing...

ff, hope you make it to AC this weekend...i think the weather is supposed to be nice for several days...were you really satisfied with 1 cheeseBOOger?...nice job, my friend!...

vicki, looks like you are dropping some weight there, girl...weren't you at 218 not too long ago?...kudos!...

artemis, you did great in october...three pounds is a lot in any month - it's a healthy rate of loss and you have been building muscle, so you lost quite a bit more than 3 lbs. of fat for sure...i'm proud of how you've stuck to your plan even though you've been under the weather...

hi shadows, sorry to hear about the budget, but happy you are finding the silver lining in there :-)

where's marilee and jenny?...they've been missing longer than i have...lol...

today, so far:
b: handful of black olives and a few almonds
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

btw, i was at 216.8 this morning, so if i can hold onto that until tomorrow morning there will be no new restriction!...yea!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #298

no t & t in my neighborhood.

The troll lives in an orthodox Jewish neighborhood. I am the token eklectic. It saves me the stress of keeping snacks around the house. The reason I go on and on about my cooking adventures, is that I truly am amazed that anything I do comes out right. I have ALWAYS been a d & d troll; Dial & Deliver. I dial, and they deliver. Just like with foreign languages, if u do not practice, u lose it. So, after 6 months of d & d, I thought I lost the plot. It's coming back. I am home today owing to a rash. I think I put too much bleach in the white laundry. I have an unusual L&O SVU on. Featuring Ice T & a loan from Bklyn. Olivia & Elliot are not in this one, well minimally at most. I am debating between steak and burgers tonight. FF
Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #299

great, Tony.

we all share that 1 commonality: every lb down is won with great effort and difficulty. The victory is that it STAYS down. No such thing as a MINOR victory. That expression is an abuse of the tongue in any language. FF
Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, sorry about your power outage but happy you and the family make a fun time of it. We used to have a Vermont castings stove at one home in Alabama. They sure can put out some heat! Good luck on the weigh in tomorrow morning!

FF, I am not that great a cook and am thrilled when something comes out pretty good. I'm ok with the basics, but anything with unusual ingredients, forgetaboutit! It is more fun to cook when the temps drop outside.

Artemis, it is good to let your body really rest off and on. It will give you extra energy on your exercise days and helps the muscles repair themselves. I agree this is a great support group!
Closed Thread