Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
ff-I take it B&N is Barnes and Noble? Love books!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Marilee, thanks for clarifying FF's B&N. I couldn't figure out what that meant. lol

FF, hope you had a nice air conditioned walk at Shoprite. Let us know if you meet anyone interesting at the bookstore or the park.

Vicki, I have been thinking about getting the "Why we get Fat" book by GT. I read the GCBC book but it was pretty deep. I hear this book is easier to understand.

Finished up some leftovers yesterday so still not back to eating simple food like I prefer. With the big get together at the lake tomorrow I don't know what they will have for meat and salads but probably some whole foods to choose from. No plans for meals yet today. Will have to check with DH when he wakes up to see if he wants to grill out this afternoon.

Have a great Saturday everyone. Will check back in later.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
happy saturday!

vicki, the idea of peanut butter on noodles is hard for me to fathom...so, it was really good?

ff, have fun at b and n - hope you meet a hottie and bring her back to join the harem...consider it a scouting mission!

abi, hope you encounter some great, on-plan food at the lake...should be a good day for a swim...i hope to hit the pool!

had a good day yesterday - ate a bit too much last night but on-plan...gotta boil some eggs today to have some quick, on-plan snacks around...with me, it can all be about convenience at times - unfortunately! :blush:

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 07-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
It was mere weeks ago that I left you with the rally cry "I got this! I GOT THIS!!"
Not so much.
The upside, tho, is that I had dinner last night with a couple of gfriends that also eat primarily LC, and they have also dropped the ball. By the time we parted company, we were all inspired to say goodbye to sugar and simple carbs.

FF...I could just feel how down you were by reading your posts. The heat and money issues can make you want to throw in the towel. I'm glad that you are going to give the gym a real shot. But a two hour walk?? Ouch. Is it closer to work than home?
B&N is my hangout, too. A pile of books and a latte. My favorite way to spend a day.

tony...your trip sounds like so much fun! Altho I'm sure it wasn't easy to return home without your little girl.

Abi...So glad you've enjoyed your family. Nice job not going off the deep end around off plan foods!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #155
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I tried to read GCBC too Abi, and didn't make it through either. This book is easier to read. I am half way through it.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Am going to try to show a couple of pictures taken this week of DD and grandkids.
First picture is of Mom, DD and our 4 grandkids
Second was taken on top of Wantasticut Mt. which is on the New Hampshire side of the Connecticut River and overlooks Brattleboro, Vermont. It is of DD, 4 grandkids and my sister-in-law. lol, no, I did not climb the mountain with them. They got some stranger at the top of the mt. to take their picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (59.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Wantasticut Mountain.jpg (60.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey kbeth, welcome to the ongoing struggle!...nothing about any of this is easy, is it?...i don't know how it is for you, but for me, this new reality - both weight and habit-wise is still so much better than where i came from...i try to keep that in mind when i don't see results or when i slip...we all are gonna get to our goal - i truly believe that...none of us who have committed to these blitzes have slipped all the way back to where we were before we started and there is comfort and strength in that...happy you are feeling motivated again - i know first-hand that motivation can be elusive...

abi, what a BEAUTIFUL family...you must be soooo proud!...

hey vicki, how are you?...

ff, i hope you can find an alternative to a two hour walk to get to the gym...that being said, i hope you have a great visit there tomorrow...how did the day at b&n go today?...

had a good day today - one meal at a time - that's my mantra! :-)
Old 07-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Tony! Love them to pieces! Also thanks for the words of wisdom "we all are going to get to our goal"

I cooked a pork shoulder in the crock pot yesterday and then shredded it. DH put bbq sauce on his but I tried to copy the flavor of the sauce we used to get from a place down the street in Alabama. They would take the drippings and add what tasted like a vinegar flavor with chili pepper. lol - I didn't quite get it right yet.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone.....scale still going down slowly but surely. I should be in new numbers sometime next week.

Enjoy your Sunday....time to get ready for church.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #160
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
well, as it happens....

i did not leave the house all day Sat...sleeping all day off and on till about 4 pm. Then I was watching dvds and drinking...non-potent potables. Today I went to my 1st fitness session. My worst fears were confirmed. I am the only fat mis-shapen freak there. I will be satisfied, if next year at this time I will be a thin mis-shapen freak. I feel like I am going to the dentist for root canal. Well, I will consider it as an atonement for my ONLY SIN: not being able to make a profit. I am also making some changes diet wise. I am upping the salad/veggie component, and lowering the critter component. At least for a while. There will still be no corn, taters, legumes, or carrots. There will be a significant increase in leafy salad, and celery. I buy it, and it spoils so quickly. I may go back to shoprite later, and buy some celery. If I average 3 stalks a day, i might get it all in before any damage is done. I am certain that with the added exercise, an extra 5 grams or so a day will be fine, and maybe even beneficial. I got within a block of the bakery, but turned around and went home. Enough for one day.As for B&N...there is always next week. FF
Old 07-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, that pulled pork sounds yummy either way!...stay cool today...trying to decide whether to head to the beach or stay by the pool...my lack of ambition today seems to be pointing toward the pool...lol...

ff, good for you for making it to the fitness session...i have to tell you, when i see overweight people making the effort to exercise, no matter how "fat or mis-shapen", i feel nothing but respect and admiration for them and it is not because i am one of them - everyone i know feels the same way...it's a human being trying to improve themselves...

i think when others see us make that effort, it can provide them with the inspiration to tackle their own demons, whatever they might be...so, don't feel self-conscious - rather, feel like a leader and an inspiration to others...i'm proud of you!

hungry this morning - haven't eaten yet, but will probably have some leftover broiled chicken...throwing some bbq chicken on the grill later, i think...unless i make it to the beach - then it will be seafood somewhere...
Old 07-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

FF, I am so proud you took the leap and went to your first gym training session even though you felt like you were going to the dentist for a root canal. You are so funny, the staff will look forward to your workouts just to hear what you have to say. So you both will benefit. I have those same feelings of dread on so many experiences but after a few weeks I get over it and settle down. It will get easier each week and you will feel so much better, stronger and healthier. I am thinking about the same eating approach as you. More low carb veggies and less protein. I too hate it when the veggies go bad before I finish eating them. The worst is bagged salad mix. The minute you cut the bag open it seems to spoil.

Tony, the pulled pork was delicious. I could eat it every day. Yesterday was a perfect day to be by the water. We sat under trees at picnic tables and lawn chairs. The was a little breeze and everyone was comfortable. Mom never dozed all day. She didn't want to miss a thing. Of course I am exhausted today. It was 9:30 before I got home and then didn't sleep well. It is now 4am and my day is starting all over again. The kids decided to stay one more night at the lake so will not head home to MO until Wed. now. Mom and I are meeting them at my sister's house for lunch this morning. I am bringing leftover pork.

Marilee, I am so happy the numbers on the scale are heading down for you. It certainly boosts your resolve when the hard work and sacrifices pay off.

Vicki, Jenny, Nancy and Beth , hope you are all doing well too. Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #163

i get my salad at work...the cafeteria salad bar.

it is fresh and crisp every day. i plan to do my eating during the day, and rely on cold water, seltzer, and diet choc soda to see me through the night until the temps die down to below the 70s. As far as the gym goes, in the beginning, the trip to and from the gym will give me a more intense workout than at the gym itself. but that is fine. It will be in the 90s for at least a week, plus the humidity. I hope I make to 2012. FF
Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 AM   #164
Blabbermouth!!!

ff - We are in a heat wave too. Welcome to the club. Congrats on making it to the gym.

Tony - Come on guy, you can do this. You will have a successful blitz

Abi, Marilee and others, howdy.

So far so good with IE. Mostly I will eat lower carb, but I am not going to beat myself up if I have an occasional treat such as a funnel cake at the county fair. I split it with my son.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #165
Blabbermouth!!!

After consuming a funnel cake, ice cream and brownies over the weekend I am ready to get back on track. ICKY. I have decided that for the most part, I feel much better when I eat nutritional, lower carb food. So, I think as long as I do that and allow myself indulgences occasional (pizza, potatoes, pasta etc. You know all of the so called off limit stuff) I will be able to have a manageable woe. I remember reading somewhere that if we are on track with healthy eating 80% of the time, that is pretty darn good.

I am trying to listen to my body more: hunger then fullness/satiety.
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
10-28 203.2 down 3.2 lbs Total - 57.2 lbs
11-27 204.8 up 1.6 lbs Total - 55.6 lbs
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #166

i did, in fact, wuss out, and take car service.

but now i can go anytime of the day i choose. I shall be going twice a week after work, plus Sat & Sun. I muust confess, i would feel much better if there was at least 1 other fat mis-shapen freak there. i would not feel so exposed. However, with the help of the Gods, we will carve out little by little, the flab. The NYC summers really put me in a funky mood. Especially because even if my AC was working, i cannot afford to run it. With the fan, my electric bill is a whopping $75.00 a month(it is a small appartment, not a mansion. With 2 nights of AC (last year at this time)it was double. All I can do is drink cold liquids, and take cold showers till October.But i will try to get some substantial walking done on the 3 days I am not at the gym. Tonite, i have to get more seltzer...I finished it yesterday. So, as long as i am there, i will do the aisles as much as possible. FF
Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey abi, i have the same problem with the salad mix...there's gotta be a way to curtail the spoilage...sounds like you and mom and the kids are all enjoying this visit so much...i'm so happy for all of you...i may have to make pulled pork this week!

oh vicki, there is no doubt i am gonna do better this blitz!...

ff, i think the car service is a great idea!...i wish you lived closer, so we could hang out together...my a/c is only so-so, but we have the pool in the backyard and we can walk from the house onto the deck and jump right into the pool...it's a savior in this weather...it's supposed to help my hip, but lately it just makes it ache-ier...maybe just a transition as i move it around more...we'll see...

after a couple of hours in the pool, we went our for italian food last night - no pasta - but a delicious stuffed veal chop...OMG!!!...it was so good!...weight holding at 213...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #168

tony, what was the veal chop stuffed with?

i never order it because they only give 1, and i am always concerned that 1 will not be enough. FF
Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Hi all,

Vicki - totally with you on the occasional indulgence, sheesh, we have to live AFTER ALL! Some of the indulgences are few & far between, and are summer treats (like the freakin' funnel cake, eh?) It's not like you're going to have this every day!

Tony - wherejugo for the veal chop? Sounds lovely!

FF - good for you for getting to the gym! Just think about the end goal and not how you might look to others. I see a lot of hotties at my Planet Fitness but I ignore them and I know they all ignore me so who cares...there are a lot of long-timers like me who are still workin' at it, we smile at each other...and then I often see new folks coming in, and boy, I would LOVE to give each and every one of them a big old' hug and say, JUST STICK WITH THIS AND DO IT...IT GETS BETTER!!

Abi - nice photos of the family, what an attractive bunch! Glad you had so much fun with them, and stayed on-plan too!! Great job!!

Hi Kbeth, ain't it fun - in the moment - to hang with buds who have dropped the ball? But just for one meal is fine, always good to get back on the wagon...you'll be fine!

Marilee - howzitgoin? Awaiting news of your new low this week!

I'm good here, enjoyed a few off-plan items on the boat this weekend, but back on the program with my salad,etc. Will get to Planet Fitness tonight for some elliptical and treadmill............

Later!
Nancy
Old 07-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi all....

Crazy Monday! Whew - glad it's over in 6 minutes!

The scale was up a little today - not sure why....didn't do anything "wrong". Oh, well, I'm sure it's water. It's been so hot, my body is probably holding on to all it can get.

Vicki-I can't do what you are doing. I have no self-control. When I eat "bad" things, my portion control goes out the window. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #171

feeling better upstairs.

caffeine almost always has a mood enhancing reaction. i had a small coconut coffee...hot!!! It was reasonably environmentally controlled. Filled upthe wagon with liquids. For dinner, i had an 8 oz piece of smoked white fish (tail end). It was just enough. I am trying something new. I always buy 1/2 lb of Hebrew National salami which i eat in one sitting, with 1 thin slice of muenster cheese, between 2 slices. However, I am taking the salami and the cheese, and dividing it among 4 feedings at work. By sticking 2 slices of the salami and 1 slice cheese inside 1/2 of Toufayan's low carb pita, i can stretch my food dollar, and cut significant calories, and keeping the carbs to under 5...and don't forget the Jewish Deli mustard!!! So much for tomorrow's bkfst. For lunch, i will get a small salad with tuna/egg salad on the side, or some other critter. By the time I get back home from the gym, i am sure it will be no earlier than 9 pm. I will get something light from the diner like a lamb gyro w/o the pita. There is hope, where there is caffeine. FF
Old 07-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i LOVE your plan...great menu and exercise regimen!...you're gonna start seeing results soon...

the veal chop was stuffed with just a bit of fontina cheese and prosciutto...ff, it is more like a steak than a chop - huge - give it a shot sometime...

nancy, we went to donatello on route 1 in saugus...how've you been?...tell me about your boat...

hey marilee, i'm sure your body doesn't want to release any water with temps where they are these days...vicki is taking us to school on discipline - if it's around me, i find it difficult to avoid...i'm looking forward to learning how this works for her as it is really an interesting concept...

good day today - didn't eat much all day and then had some bbq chicken and steak tips on the grill tonight...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rain and thunder - yea!!!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #174

it was a great plan...in the planning stage....

but not in its execution. I totalled the salami last night watching a movie. at first, i tried a few thin slices of muenster. then i tried a small bag of pork rinds. not enough. so, the salami was next at bat. I am glad to say there was nothing in the house left. So, the salami had to suffice. The good news, is that i had totally forgotten about the low carb pita i bought earlier that evening. it is safe now in the fridge at work. Untouched. By the time i get back from the gym tonight, i will be too exhausted to eat. Exhausted, yes, but not from the gym, but the heat and the shlepping back and forth after a day's work. I will make the stuffed veal chop the next thing to try when i go out to eat, either Italian or the Vegas diner in Brooklyn. FF
Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #175
Blabbermouth!!!

Marilee, did you have another dust storm?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #176

i have a can of sardines packed in water.

i have not eaten a sardine for well over 40 years. I got them in water because the ones in healthy oil are too expensive. Which is why I get tuna in water. Why don't they pack fish in fish oil? I am having the sardines for lunch in 1/2 of the locarb pita with some salad fixins thrown in for good measure. If i do not like it (i will be very hungry, as i consumed no bkfst today), i will consider it an atonement for the post 8PM salami incident. I really hope I like them. They are 4 cans for $5.00 when on sale (Bumble
Bee). FF
Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i've never eaten a sardine!...let me know what i am missing, bro...

a year and a half ago, the salami incident could have been a donut incident and that would have been much worse - we've come a long way!...

take it easy in this heat - but i think your increased physical activity is gonna work wonders for your health...i'll be back in the pool today!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Marilee, did you have another dust storm?
Yes, we had another haboob, but it wasn't nearly as big as the one two weeks ago. However, this one caused a really bad accident on one of the freeways. What a lot of people don't understand is that when one of these hits, you can't see in front of you. Apparently 8 semi-trailers slammed into each other. Thankfully no cars were between them or they would have been crushed! There were no fatalities, but some people in serious condition.

It was nice to get some rain at my house. It's been a long time.

Marilee
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #179

i got them down.

Let us pray that they stay down. The next time, i will get as much liquid out of them as possible, and fry them, and spice the HADES out of them. But sardines ARE, so i am told, among the highest in omega 3 fats. So, i will get more at the next sale. Strange, i am actually looking forward to my workout. It is just the transportation situation that freaks me out. Once you have traveled at warp speed, the rest is so primitive. I cut the entire pack of pitas in 1/2 pieces. Less temptation that way...just grab one and put the rest back prestissimo. FF
Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #180

Gibby...what is the best time of the year for Phoenix...

weatherwise? I could never live anywhere that had no winter with snow etc. FF
Closed Thread