Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #841
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Tony,
You're so funny! Well, I have a ton I could write because I've been doing alot of interesting reading about nutrition (Nourishing Traditions and Eat Fat, lose Fat--by Sally Fallon, Primal Body-Primal Mind, Nora Gedgaudaus) and trying incorporate alot of these ideas into my eating plan.

For instance if you eat too much protein (more than your body needs) it is converted into glucose and treated as a carb in your body.

I'm trying to satisfy my appetite with healthy fats (no vegetable oils-- except some olive oil) like coconut oil, butter from pasture fed cows, raw cream, and grass fed beef, lamb, wild salmon, etc. and limit my protein to about 6-8 ounces a day. Then as many leafy, non starchy vegetables as I need to satisfy hunger. Also I'm not drinking alchohol or coffee.

This is supposedly an ideal diet for weight loss and good health in general.. Also adding in some supplements like fish oil and cod liver oil. Also adding naturally fermented vegetables for proibotics and increased vitamins.

Will probably add more supplements but still educating myself...

Trying to exercise (supposedly short bouts of intense exercise is best for weightloss, by the way...) but right now I'm sick with a cold so sounds exhausting...

I'm looking thru my food diary and I'm the exact same weight I was last year at this date and I also had a cold last year this day...how weird is that????

I know it may not seem to be weird to be the exact same weight but my weight has been all over the place (mostly up) this summer so it is strange to me that it's the exact same number....

I see a trend that I fatten up in the summer months and slim down in the winter months, I wonder if it's something biological with me--like I'm a bear getting ready to hibernate or something???

Now I've written too much!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #842
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Boy my day got turned upside down. Some of my new furniture was delivered this morning. Then, my dad called and said that my grandma was not doing well with her latest chemo treatment so I decided to pack a bag and go for a few days before my job starts.

Good job FF on the water! Since you are drinking it in my honor hope it brings you much success with your next weigh-in I still managed to get all my water in despite being on the road all afternoon. Also brought some low carb stuff with me while I'm here.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #843
Senior LCF Member

Boy my day got turned upside down. Some of my new furniture was delivered this morning. Then, my dad called and said that my grandma was not doing well with her latest chemo treatment so I decided to pack a bag and go for a few days before my job starts.

Good job FF on the water! Since you are drinking it in my honor hope it brings you much success with your next weigh-in I still managed to get all my water in despite being on the road all afternoon. Also brought some low carb stuff with me while I'm here.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #844
Senior LCF Member

So it posted my last post twice not sure why...can't seem to figure out how to delete it!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #845
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Hey FF, think of all the extra walking you are getting in trotting off to the men's room!

I was satisfied with my water intake yesterday. Didn't keep track but just kept drinking some all day long.

Jenny, I have Primal Blueprint too. Enjoyed that book and heard her on one of Jimmy Moore's podcasts. You can't post too much here only not enough! Your eating plan is going to get you where you want to be and you will be much healthier too. Maybe no colds next year at this time!

Artemis, I sure hope your grandmother will start to improve from the latest chemo treatment. It is heartwrenching to have someone you love going through this. ((hugs))

Tony, was wondering if you have ever gone to the Songwriters Festival in south Alabama. I think they have it in the fall. We would get different artists at The Beach Club in Gulf Shores where I worked and there would be different groups all over the area. Some would also perform at the Floribama at the Alabama/Florida line. One year at The Beach Club Ray Stevens made a surprise visit and sang some of his songs. Of course I always had to get up at like 2am for some extra job I was working so never could stay up late enough to hear them play.

Vicki, I just tested my coconut mayo. It is still creamy and tastes even more like mayo this morning. I want to try some next using that ranch dip seasoning that I like so much.

Marilee, what's on the menu for today. My menu is so blah, hearing what you are having makes me happy.

Have a great day all!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #846
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
that was it...60 oz.

how much is it to rent a portosan to take around with me? I will be content with 60. Today is podiatry day. i hope he has more tricks up his sleeve for my poor itchy feet. The anti-fungal pills are not working, nor is the anti-fungal cream. Weigh-in is, incl today about 72 hrs away. I have done what I can. If the scale is so much as 1 decimal point less, i will be ecstatic. FF
Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #847
Major LCF Poster!

If all else fails FF on the itchy feet give this a try.

Coconut Oil Skin Fungus: Grow New Healthy Skin In Days
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #848
Senior LCF Member

Didn't weigh this morning, I felt bloated. Probably from all the driving. Had a tsp of coconut oil in my protein shake for breakfast. Not as bad as I was expecting. Maybe I could do the oil in coffee after all Abi.
Just finished my first training session of week 4. Oh my goodness! I was begging the lady on the podcast for mercy by the end of it! I am staying with my parents and they live on gravel. So I couldn't run there as the HUGE rocks were turning my ankles. So I opted to run around the yard like a crazy person and that wasn't much better. The grass was wet and the yard is uneven. But I didn't quit like the old me would have so at least there's that...
Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #849

i made a print, Abi, and i will show it to the podiatrist.

He is also my friend. He likes my material. Not a good water day so far. Perhaps i will make it up this evening. FF
Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #850

my prayers for Grandma, Artemis.

chemo is a tough thing to endure. I hope her good days exceed the not so good ones. FF
Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #851
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Good morning! Survived day to of NS and lost another 1.4 pounds - I hope permanently this time.

I didn't get all of my water in, but drank more than I normally do.

Abi, I really am hesitant to tell you what I'm eating because I don't want to throw anyone off their plan, as mine isn't low carb.

I'm going out to dinner with my girlfriend that's moving on Friday after work. Since it will probably be one of our last times together, I'm taking her out for Mexican, which is her favorite. Obviously, that is not a good choice for us dieters. However, I did check the menu and they have mahi mahi and talapia, so I think I will opt for a nice fish dinner. It isn't fried, but sauteed in peppers etc. so it should be yummy! I may splurge and have a Marguerita!

Have a great day everyone - I must get to work.

Marilee
Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #852
Major LCF Poster!

I was reading in Dr. Davis's book "Wheat Belly" a biscotti recipe made with flax meal. I don't want to get back into eating sweets so I googled low carb flax seed bread. Just made a wonderful pan of bread. It looks like brown bread and had a similar texture. It is made with eggs, flax meal, olive oil, water, salt and a little fake sweetener. I am eating a small sandwich of my homade mayo from the other day, salmon and this bread. For someone who has not eaten even a slice of bread since Jan 2008 I am in hawg heaven. It looks like a focaccia after it is made and if you cut it into 12 squares there is less than 1 gram of effective carbs in each square. I was able to slice the square into two thin slices as the texture holds together very well. There were over 200 reviews on this recipe and most loved it. Many made substitutions like pumpkin for the oil and fewer eggs etc. I am going to be like FF and keep it out of reach until I am ready to eat a piece or I will eat the whole pan.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #853
Major LCF Poster!

I understand Marilee, that could happen. When I used to go to Overeaters Annonymous we were not allowed to even mention food for that reason. So glad you were down more than a pound again today! Also sorry about your good friend leaving. Is she moving more than a day's drive away?

FF, it would be wonderful if your friend said , hey, give it a chance and then it really worked well! Wishing you the best!

Artemis, you are so motivated and you made me laugh at your description of you running around the yard.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #854
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
I understand Marilee, that could happen. When I used to go to Overeaters Annonymous we were not allowed to even mention food for that reason. So glad you were down more than a pound again today! Also sorry about your good friend leaving. Is she moving more than a day's drive away?
Interesting that you metioned OA....I called a chapter close to my home yesterday and they have meetings on Wednesday evenings (tonight). I'm a little scared to go - I went quite a few years ago and the group was a very depressing bunch of people - I only went twice. But, I do need help with my binge eating and compulsive behavior.

Karen and her husband have been friends of mine since 1983. They moved away once before to Oregon, but came back after about 6 years. They are moving to Idaho - I'm sure that is one of the reasons why I was so down last week-friends are hard to find, make and keep and this is very difficult. Yes, we will still be friends, but it won't be the same.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #855

He(the podiatrist) believes the coconut oil should work.

when i return this weekend, i will get some. if i get hungry, i can always lick my feet (eeeooo gross!!!). See y'all in BLITZ VII, motivated as heck, and ready to make our move. FF
Old 09-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #856
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff--you are so funny!!!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #857
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hi all...spent the day in ri and just got back...happy to see everyone doing so well!...

jenny, i love hearing anything you have to say...that is amazing about being the same weight as a year ago...i'm within a few pounds myself - i think i was 218 at the end of blitz II (sept 30, 2010) and am in the 215 range now...it has been a major achievement to keep off the first 30 lbs. i lost, even if i've yo-yo'd the next 10...

i also appreciate it when you do the reading and share the good stuff with us... :-) your plan sounds incredibly healthy and i think it is based on good science...i hope you keep posting and let us know how it is working...

all this talk about coconut oil is making me feel slippery...lol...

artemis, sorry about your grandma...have a safe trip home...

marilee, congrats on another loss...i like hearing what you are eating...whisper it in my ear...

abi, great question!...i have not been to the songwriter festival on the gulf coast, but i have many friends who play there every year...it's supposed to be amazing!...i never seem to be free that week, so far...

had a good day today...had some beef and veggie stir-fry for lunch and baked chicken for dinner...hardly any water though, so i will try to make up for that tomorrow...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 09-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #858
Major LCF Poster!

Just a quick note to say Good Morning everyone. I'm running late this morning but will check back later when I have more time. Weigh in tomorrow for me.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #859
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
good morning, blitzers!...can't believe we are only 2 days away from blitz VII...

gonna really try to avoid salt and load up on water today...i feel like i need a flush after being dehydrated yesterday...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #860
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! Down another 2 pounds - maybe tomorrow I will be out of the dreaded 300's for the FINAL TIME!!!

Breakfast was low fat strawberry yogurt, a NS apple cinnamon granola bar, 2 pieces of toast with SF jam and coffee.

Snack - 1-1/4 cup of strawberries

Lunch will be NS cheesy mashed potatoes, a chicken leg, tomato and apple

Snack - more strawberries

Dinner will be NS spaghetti and meatballs, broccolli with ICBINB spray, 1/4 cup of corn.

Desert - an NS desert - maybe buttered popcorn.

Tell me if it bugs you being told what I eat and I'll stop.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #861
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't had time to even get one cup of water in but this is my afternoon/evening off so will start chugging even if I have to get up all night. lol

Marilee, it sure does not bother me at all and I am so happy for you. It worked for you before and it is working for you again!

My computer is running sooo slow today. It has been raining cats and dogs since around 11 but finally has stopped. I'm sure the people that were flooded out around here form Irene have been a little worried.

So far today I have had a hard boiled egg with a little of my homemade mayo and a 3" square of my flax bread with some cheddar cheese on it and maybe a teaspoon of olive tepanade. That stuff is so salty I didn't want to eat any more today. I love it though and 1tbl has just one carb.

Talk to you all later!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #862
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Just checking in--
My wieght has dropped a couple pounds in the last two days, but I have been taking an antihistimine so that might have something to do with it. Getting over my cold and still eating well. Holding off on strenous exercise until I feel better...still doing manual labor chores...painting and staining the deck! I had too much fun this summer, should have done it earlier but now winter is approaching and I need to get it done.

I'm totally in for Blitz VII and determined that it will be my best Blitz yet!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #863
Senior LCF Member

Y'all are gonna think I'm such a nerd but I'll share anyways I am so dedicated to this next Blitz that I created a spreadsheet to keep track of my losses. As a scientist I love numbers and graphs, so I think it will help keep me motivated.
I am just trying to keep the few lbs I've lost off for the next few days while I'm here with my family. Which is no small task because they have goodies sitting everywhere, but I have not caved in yet.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #864
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
Y'all are gonna think I'm such a nerd but I'll share anyways I am so dedicated to this next Blitz that I created a spreadsheet to keep track of my losses. As a scientist I love numbers and graphs, so I think it will help keep me motivated.
I am just trying to keep the few lbs I've lost off for the next few days while I'm here with my family. Which is no small task because they have goodies sitting everywhere, but I have not caved in yet.
You are not a nerd at all!!!! I have been keeping charts for the past 8 months!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #865
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I am making another batch of the Fat Flush Soup I mentioned before. I loved it. Going to a retreat this weekend and the cost included meals, but they don't make special requests for foods. So, I guess I will be taking my own food. I can about imagine what the breakfast choices will be: bagels, muffins, cereal etc. and so on.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #866
Major LCF Poster!

Jenny, great on the two pound drop. Doing that manuel labor will burn those calories, plus it takes your mind off eating. Glad you are getting over that cold.

Artemis, if I knew how to do a graph I would do one too. They show you at a glance the direction you are going. I am reduced to just making lists of dates and weights but that helps too. Keep strong around those goodie temptations.

I weighed in this morning and was down a pound. Happy about that but it is one that I had gained back recently so am not jumping up and down with joy. Will be glad when I get to dropping new pounds. Ended up finishing yesterday with a bowl of ground beef and brocolli and dip. I think I only drank 4 cups of water. Will get an earlier start today.

Hey Vicki, they might surprise you on the food choices but smart to bring some emergency food if they don't. Enjoy your retreat and come back refreshed on Monday!

Tony, good luck on your weigh in today!

will check back in later. Have a great Friday all!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #867
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning on our final Blitz day! I'm in for the next one......

Down .4 since yesterday. I'll take it......

Not much news - it's Friday and "I smell weekend". Can't get much better than that!

I'll check back later - trying to remember WATER today.....I'm not doing well at getting it in.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #868
Major LCF Poster!

I'm eating a 2" by 3" square of my flax bread with a teas. of olive tepanade on it for lunch. Think I'm on cup # 5 of water. I've reading the 200 odd reviews of the bread and there are some great ideas I want to try, like adding garlic powder or onion powder to it, using flavored olive oils in it, maybe some carraway seeds sprinkled across the top. Haven't decided on dinner yet.

Marilee, every drop is exciting especially if you can get one everyday. Makes you want to jump out of bed in the morning to see what the scale says!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #869
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Marilee, every drop is exciting especially if you can get one everyday. Makes you want to jump out of bed in the morning to see what the scale says!
I do-I get so excited! Get up, go potty and jump on the scale!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #870

home a little earlier than expected.

i actually did very little eatin. My (earth)brother's basement is like another universe. H has a mini fridge down there in which he stocked water and Faygo choc soda. I could easily live there a week w/o solid food. Still waiting for the cool temperatures. I was hoping I WOULD need a jacket walking to the subway on 34th St. But, alas...no miracle. I was still schvitzing. I have the fan on high and all the windows are open. Gonna take a long exhaustive walk on the shady side of the street. It is now 14:30 hrs edt. I expect not to return before 18:00 hrs edt. Talk to y'all later. While it is still 9/30/11, I will post on BLITZ VI. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Closed Thread